Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"I will leave no stone unturned in making myself worthy of national selection" : Azam Khan

With an aggressive batting style which many Pakistani fans feel is missing from the national side, batsman/wicket-keeper Azam Khan is well on his way to establishing himself as a force to be reckoned with in the shorter forms of the game. He also recently made his debut for Sindh in First-Class cricket and was named as the best wicket-keeper in the recently concluded Pakistan Cup.

In an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, Azam spoke about the pressure of comparisons with his father Moin Khan, how he has answered his critics, his intentions to improve his fitness, the experience of playing the Pakistan Super League and his aspirations to represent Pakistan.

Name:  e144da26-0cfd-405d-8f23-6113e8205507.jpg
Views: 32127
Size:  102.9 KB

PakPassion.net: What is the attraction in T10 cricket and which brought you to the ongoing Abu Dhabi T10 tournament?

Azam Khan:
    This is the first time that I am playing in a T10 tournament and what interests me most about this format is that as a batsman, you have to be on top of your game not just physically but mentally as well. This is because you have to make quick decisions and do not have much time to settle in before you start playing your shots. So, it’s a tough format to play in but doing well in it does showcase your ability to think and act fast which can only benefit you as a batsman.

PakPassion.net: Do you think that playing in the T10 format may have a negative impact on the way you play in other formats?

Azam Khan:
    I do not think playing in any one format can affect your game in other formats. The reason is simply that whether you are playing Twenty20, One-Day or even red-ball cricket, you play according to the situation of the game and not based on how you feel like playing that day, or based upon the demands of a different format. In a sense, the format of the game you play in doesn’t matter because the idea is always to score runs and you can only do that when you have a full array of strokes in your armoury which one can develop only from playing in all formats of the game.

PakPassion.net: How difficult is it when people compare you in cricketing terms to your father?

Azam Khan:
    When it comes to skills and abilities, I cannot be compared to my father at all. He had a long and illustrious international career where he served his country with honour and I am just starting my life as a cricketer, so comparisons are of no use at this point. In fact, I don’t think I can ever be compared to my father in terms of cricketing abilities, nor will I ever compare myself to him. All I will say is that I cannot think of a prouder father than Moin Khan when he sees me perform well and I draw a lot of inspiration from that and hopefully will continue to perform well in the future.

PakPassion.net: What's the best piece of advice your father has given to you?

Azam Khan:
    The one piece of advice that he has given to me is about making sure I that I believe in the power of hard work to move forward in my life. He has also told me that the more hardships I overcome early in my career, the easier things will become for me in the future. The idea being that doing the hard yards now will help me face up to difficult situations in the future and that is advice I have taken to heart and am following religiously.

PakPassion.net: You were mocked for various reasons when you first came into cricket, do you feel you have quietened some of the critics with your performances?

Azam Khan:
    I really have no time nor the inclination to worry about what other people say or feel about me. Those are things I cannot control. What is in my control is the bat which is in my hand, and all my energies are focussed towards performing on the field. I know that the Almighty has given me the ability to play cricket and hopefully with good performances, I will gain more admirers than people who will speak ill of me and in the process, I will one day be able to serve my country as well.

PakPassion.net: You’ve clearly worked hard on your fitness, but do you believe there is still more work to be done on that front?

Azam Khan:
    I am not satisfied with my fitness at all and I intend to work more on it as that will help me perform better. The fact is that even though you may have all the right cricketing skills, it’s the right fitness level that really helps in polishing those skills. This is my goal and one that I am keen on achieving. For this to happen, some short-term plans have been setup for me by my coaches and I am following them.

PakPassion.net: How seriously do you take your wicket-keeping?

Azam Khan:
    I take my wicket-keeping very seriously and it’s a skill that I spend a lot of time practicing. I know that the ability to keep wickets in addition to my batting can give me an extra edge when it comes to helping out my team, so I do take it very seriously. I have been wicket-keeping in all junior formats and in my Under-19 days and for me this is a skill which I want to develop further and is a key part of my overall game.

PakPassion.net: You've played mainly white ball cricket, but recently made your First-Class debut as well. How important is playing in the red-ball format for you?

Azam Khan:
    The red-ball format is probably the best format for training and developing batsmen. And to be honest, it’s a very enjoyable form of cricket as it gives you the opportunity to play long innings and stay longer at the crease than you normally would. It also allows you to really improve your game as you look to improve the skills needed to stay longer at the wicket and also score runs along the way. My debut for Sindh this season was very enjoyable and I learnt a lot from playing in that format. Having only played T20 and One-Day cricket before, this experience of the 4-day game was very beneficial for me and hopefully, I can play a few more games for Sindh in the coming seasons which will really help me improve my game further.

PakPassion.net: What changes do you need to make to your game when you shift between different formats?

Azam Khan:
    To me all formats are important and my attitude to each format is pretty similar which is to play in an aggressive manner. I always try and play attacking cricket and love to take the game to the opposition bowlers. This has been my way of batting since I started playing cricket and to me, more than worrying about the form of cricket I am playing, it’s the run-scoring which is more important. Whilst each format has its own attraction, I will always approach the games with a similar strategy and in a sense, it doesn’t matter if I am playing Twenty20, One-Day or 4-Day cricket.

PakPassion.net: How important has the Pakistan Super League (PSL) been for your development?

Azam Khan:
    PSL is an important tournament not just for the players in Pakistan but it has given our cricket a new global platform which was lacking before 2016. This tournament is watched globally, and it’s become a well-recognized brand that is a matter of pride for all of us. This tournament has also given Pakistan some excellent players in the shape of such names as Shadab Khan and Faheem Ashraf. It’s a great place to showcase our talent and I was lucky to have been picked by Quetta Gladiators and to have played 9 games in the 2020 season. The experience of playing in front of knowledgeable and packed houses in Pakistan was very enjoyable and one that I will cherish forever. The pressure of playing in front of such a large audience can be tough and it does take a lot of will-power to keep yourself under check and to deliver for your side. I hope to play more in the PSL and to be able to entertain crowds in a tournament which has a special meaning for the people of our country.

PakPassion.net: What specific goals have you set yourself for the future?

Azam Khan:
    Obviously, my aim is to score as many runs as possible but what is most important for me is to work on my fitness as I know that this is an important part of any cricketer’s development. I weighed about 140 kgs last year and I have now reduced that to 108 kgs but the idea is to not stop there and further improve this aspect of my overall fitness.

PakPassion.net: It must be heartening for you to hear your name being mentioned for international duties?

Azam Khan:
    Of course, every player who plays cricket at a professional level dreams to one day play for his country. As for me, I would be humbled if I am ever selected to play for Pakistan but even if that doesn’t happen soon, I know that I have time on my side and my opportunity to represent my country will eventually come one day. Until that time, I will continue working hard and look to score more runs and perform well, and to make sure I leave no stone unturned in making myself worthy of selection for the national side.
    Last edited by MenInG; 31st January 2021 at 23:32.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For his sake, i hope and pray that he only breaks the national side; be it any format, only once he has mastered a 4 day season.
    He has immense ability, but we need to set the priorities right for national selection.
    Last edited by Pacy with wisdom; 31st January 2021 at 23:48.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He mentioned he's currently 108kg, a weight with which he still had some amazing takes/ dives in the LPL. Imagine if he can get down to 80 (Very possible on an initial ketogenic diet to drop further excess pounds in the off season, post PSL). I think with his natural explosiveness and less weight, he'll be quiet the keeper or even fielder.

I'm also curious as to what he'll do post PSL.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    He mentioned he's currently 108kg, a weight with which he still had some amazing takes/ dives in the LPL. Imagine if he can get down to 80 (Very possible on an initial ketogenic diet to drop further excess pounds in the off season, post PSL). I think with his natural explosiveness and less weight, he'll be quiet the keeper or even fielder.

I'm also curious as to what he'll do post PSL.
    Getting to 88-90 kilos will be enough for him.
    Yiu have to remember that he isnt skinny fat. The muscle size on him is collosal, and you dont want him to go into catabolism just to meet an average weight limit.
    He will lose power as well; which makes him unique.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Well his attitude is on point.

Compare that to Umar "Where is the fat ?" Akmal.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Lahore: Chief Selector Mohammad Wasim has revealed that few benchmarks have been set for hard-hitters Azam Khan and Sharjeel Khan in order to get selected in Pakistan team.

Wasim, while announcing the squad for the three-match T20I series against South Africa, said they have given some plans to both of them and if the duo can achieve in the upcoming Pakistan Super League (PSL) or after that, they will be considered for the selection.

“There is no doubt on their batting skills as they are the best hitters in the country currently. We are keeping a close eye on them and have set few benchmarks. They are definitely in our plans,” Wasim said.

“If they achieve the given benchmarks during the PSL and further, definitely they will be considered for selection,” he added.

Note, Azam has emerged as one of the cleanest hitters recently while Sharjeel has been playing all forms of domestic cricket.

When Misbah-ul-Haq was the chief selector, he emphasized that if Sharjeel wants to make a comeback, he must work on fitness for the selection.

https://arysports.tv/wasim-reveals-r...tion-sa-t20is/

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has a real opportunity to showcase his hitting ability for Quetta Gladiators in the PSL. They don't have many identified batsmen, so the key for Azam Khan in Quetta will be to occupy the crease and bat to his strengths and according to the situation.

If he gets his weight down to about 80 KG, and can show that he is capable of strike rotation, there's no reason he should be kept away from the team. He has immense hitting ability, both on the off-side, leg-side, and down the ground. We need this type of player. in our team, because he solves the dilema of the wicketkeeper and the finisher, allowing us to fill in another batsman or all-rounder.

Think about the versatility he brings in T20I cricket:

Babar Azam (c)
    Haider Ali
    Shadab Khan
    Mohammad Hafeez
    Hussain Talat
    Danish Aziz/Iftikhar Ahmed
    Azam Khan (wk)
    Imad Wasim
    Faheem Ashraf
    Shaheen Shah Afridi
    Haris Rauf

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    He is far more talented than his father.

I don’t think he can make it as an international class keeper especially with his current weight level, and if he sheds too many kilos it will hurt his batting.

Besides, he is also big boned, and he will never have a slim physique no matter what he does.

Pakistan may never need his keeping because Rizwan should be able to maintain his level for years to come, so it will be best for Azam if he focuses on his batting.

He could certainly become an international level batsman across formats with a bit more FC experience.

I personally think he should play domestic cricket rigorously and should not be considered for international cricket before 2023-2024.

There are still a lot of raw elements in his batting that need refinement, but the raw ingredients are there.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacy with wisdom View Post
    Getting to 88-90 kilos will be enough for him.
    Yiu have to remember that he isnt skinny fat. The muscle size on him is collosal, and you dont want him to go into catabolism just to meet an average weight limit.
    He will lose power as well; which makes him unique.
    Fair enough. The only thing that worries me is that having even a 90kg frame is not great for ones knees, especially for a lad whose as explosive as Azam. It won't help his longevity. It's really about a strength and conditioning coach finding that sweet spot for him weight and definition wise, where his power and explosiveness are at their peak for the lightest weight possible.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I want Azam to take domestic cricket 3 day-4 day games more seriously and score tons of runs as that is where he will learn the most.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    He talks big but he's sitting in Abu Dhabi playing in a pathetic league whilst the domestic season is ongoing. Someone should have had the guts to ask him about that.
    True. May be that is what M Wasim must have told him.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love how a few decent innings have changed the perception around this guy. If you pull up any of the old Azam Khan threads you’ll see people trashing him left and right and claiming I was somehow related to Moin Khan for supporting Azam when he was an unknown quantity. I wish this guy all the best and hope he can deliver for Pakistan when he gets the chance because we need players with the ability he has.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

I don’t think he can make it as an international class keeper especially with his current weight level, and if he sheds too many kilos it will hurt his batting.

Besides, he is also big boned, and he will never have a slim physique no matter what he does.

Pakistan may never need his keeping because Rizwan should be able to maintain his level for years to come, so it will be best for Azam if he focuses on his batting.

He could certainly become an international level batsman across formats with a bit more FC experience.

I personally think he should play domestic cricket rigorously and should not be considered for international cricket before 2023-2024.

There are still a lot of raw elements in his batting that need refinement, but the raw ingredients are there.
    This is exactly what i have been saying all along.
    He shouldn't be just brought into the t20 side just because he can hit the ball. He has far more ability than that.
    I would give him 2 seasons of first cricket so that he can become a refined batsman. No cheap debuts.

On the other hand, he is by no means a bad keeper. In fact he is very agile and flexible. If he gets to 90 kilos, you will see how good he is.

He is also smart and educated and that will add real value to our side.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is exactly what i have been saying all along.
    He shouldn't be just brought into the t20 side just because he can hit the ball. He has far more ability than that.
    I would give him 2 seasons of first cricket so that he can become a refined batsman. No cheap debuts.

On the other hand, he is by no means a bad keeper. In fact he is very agile and flexible. If he gets to 90 kilos, you will see how good he is.

He is also smart and educated and that will add real value to our side.
    what if he just wants to play t20 and odis but goes for leagues based around t20 would you still state he has to play 4 day cricket before getting in to one of Pakistan squad's ?

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clean striker of the ball and a decent keeper needs to work on his fitness and play the longer format to enhance his skill level.defonitely future prospect

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    what if he just wants to play t20 and odis but goes for leagues based around t20 would you still state he has to play 4 day cricket before getting in to one of Pakistan squad's ?
    Well, so far it seems like he has sworn his allegiances to Nadeem omar and treats him as his absolute employer cum boss.
    This is why you see him representing in all of their teams at the cost of domestic cricket.
    It is all well and good to get molly cuddled by an influential family friend as well as your dad, but now he needs to see himself as an independent player.

The board should step in and work out a proper plan for him.
    They also need to make test cricket more financially lucrative as a whole. That will automatically solve this player priority problem.
    Last edited by Pacy with wisdom; 1st February 2021 at 10:58.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He shouldn't loose not more than 15kg. Otherwise his performance will same as Inzamam in World Cup 2003 (Shed 23 pounds) and scored 19 in 6 matches (He flopped against 4 against Nabimia, 0 against Netherlands and 3 against Zimbabwe).

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys we need to understand one thing that he has already lost some weight. Now he is most probably at intermediate or close to advanced level of training. He won't be loosing weight easily. If he is 108kgs right now, getting to 90 kgs will be hell of a lot more difficult. If he will follow Keto, he won't have enough energy, his cricket training will suffer.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is amazing to see how one can shut people up by performances on the field - as Azam Khan has done.

You can say whatever you want on media but if you can't deliver on the field, it is useless.

Fawad Alam has also done the same - a shame it didn't happen for him earlier.

Go on Azam Khan - and never become complacent.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

big boned? means his shoulders and hip bones are wide?

But he can still be fit and look fit.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    big boned? means his shoulders and hip bones are wide?

But he can still be fit and look fit.
    Yes, his pelvis and femur are larger than normal. In simple terms, his frame size is above average. He can lose weight but he will never give the appearance of a slim person.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gimme a break FGS, you cannot shed some weight and you want to play for Pakistan. Representing your country is not a joke, show some commitment .

There is no such thing as big bones and pelvis, it has nothing to do with his big belly. He just found cricket too easy, no exercise, no dietary restriction, some runs in low level T10 and T20 cricket and he wants to play for Pakistan.

Waseem sent a wrong message to other youngsters by mentioning his name . He should be give a fitness task before he should be included even in regional site.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lose wait Azam sahib. Imagine the sheer disgrace in the commentary boxes when this guy puts on the green shirt. I mean cmon. If he cant lose that gut he should not play ..end of.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know what the target is that he has been set by PCB - weight, yoyo test, or something else?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Definitely knows or has been taught how to conduct himself in the media which is a good thing.

He doesn't know the art of constructing big innings, it's usually just some 30s and 40s and that's it. On rare occasions, he has scored a fifty, but that has been his only achievement which is miniscule when compared to the batting talent he possesses. For his own sake, he needs to concentrate on FC and LA for a few seasons and learn how to go big and bat through.

Regarding fitness, he knows and everyone else knows as well he needs to get fitter.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I'd be interested to know what the target is that he has been set by PCB - weight, yoyo test, or something else?
    Play domestic cricket (all formats) and score tons of runs.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A target which is the one that they have for every single player that they consider, i.e, play couple of season of domestic cricket and show us what he's got When he's up against other players in a non t10 T20 level cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    Play domestic cricket (all formats) and score tons of runs.
    Well the fact that Mohammad Wasim mentioned Sharjeel and Azam specifically - I thought maybe it's a fitness target.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well the fact that Mohammad Wasim mentioned Sharjeel and Azam specifically - I thought maybe it's a fitness target.
    Coincidentally they are the best power hitters currently available.

Fitness will surely be a target but I would have thought that the primary target should be to be top scorers.

Runs in BPL, SPL, T10 or any other low standard leagues shouldn't count.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Seems Azam has a good sense of humour.

His whatsapp profile.

Name:  Screenshot_20210201-204850_WhatsApp.jpg
Views: 1891
Size:  46.0 KB

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lets hope he kicks on because we lack consistent hitters in the middle order. Imagine him coming at 5/6 with his power, instead of the 155 we score in T20, we could get to 175, which is close to the par score of 180 in most matches in T20 cricket

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Ok so no details of the targets for Azam but they are fitness and fielding related.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azam most likely has BMI 35-39, that puts him in stage 2 level Obesity and at high risk to develop obesity related illness in future including Diabetes, hypertension and heart disease.

I'm sure he has been overweight since childhood and his parents are more to be blamed for it. I'm not a pediatrician but in USA, if a child is seriously overweight , his/her parents are grilled and blamed by the pediatrician for being danger to child's well being . In severe cases the case his referred to child protection services. Child obesity is more common is lower social economical/uneducated and broken families.

Moeen and his brother both were test cricketer and fit , so Azam's obesity is not inherited ( unless he inherited this from his mom). So, how can a test cricketer and National captain watched his young son growing so obese in front of his eyes, someone got to ask this question from Moeen Khan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Ok so no details of the targets for Azam but they are fitness and fielding related.
    Azam Khan has told us that he has no idea about what targets have been given to him by the PCB!

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Gimme a break FGS, you cannot shed some weight and you want to play for Pakistan. Representing your country is not a joke, show some commitment .

There is no such thing as big bones and pelvis, it has nothing to do with his big belly. He just found cricket too easy, no exercise, no dietary restriction, some runs in low level T10 and T20 cricket and he wants to play for Pakistan.

Waseem sent a wrong message to other youngsters by mentioning his name . He should be give a fitness task before he should be included even in regional site.
    He’s already lost several kgs after working hard for a year and a half and he continues to work hard. In a recent interview he said he’s “not even 10% satisfied” with his fitness improvements.

Do your hw before you badmouth someone.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Azam most likely has BMI 35-39, that puts him in stage 2 level Obesity and at high risk to develop obesity related illness in future including Diabetes, hypertension and heart disease.

I'm sure he has been overweight since childhood and his parents are more to be blamed for it. I'm not a pediatrician but in USA, if a child is seriously overweight , his/her parents are grilled and blamed by the pediatrician for being danger to child's well being . In severe cases the case his referred to child protection services. Child obesity is more common is lower social economical/uneducated and broken families.

Moeen and his brother both were test cricketer and fit , so Azam's obesity is not inherited ( unless he inherited this from his mom). So, how can a test cricketer and National captain watched his young son growing so obese in front of his eyes, someone got to ask this question from Moeen Khan.
    It’s inherited from his mother’s side but she was not obese. As you say, Azam’s probably been like this from childhood due to diet and his parents take the blame. However he is working hard and doing his best to bring it under control (32 kgs in just a few months of hard work and he’s still not satisfied with this).

He continues to work hard on his keeping and a little more weight loss from 108kgs to 90-95kgs will do him wonders.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If BMI was a correct tool for evaluation, every bodybuilder would be termed obese. There is no account for muscle weight, or if someone has an abnormally thicker bone structure.
    Therefore that is the most pathetic gage of one's fitness.

Azam has inherited his endomorphic genes from his mother, so yes he is predisposed to gaining weight, and teenage eating habits compounded that issue.

He already has lost 32 kilos last year, and says that he isnt even half way there. That there is evidence that he is headed in the right direction in terms of his fitness.
    Last edited by MenInG; 2nd February 2021 at 13:38.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kid needs to grind a few more years in domestic before any selection should even be discussed.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably make a team where your dad isnt in the management or affiliated with...

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He will definitely play for pakistan. For how long that's up for debate.
    Very talented batsman.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azam khan on fire in the t10 30 of 1 over, granted its a lesser level of quality but maybe time to try him out in t20s , could be the power hitter we have severely missed.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Azam Khan 54 off 22 today - but in a losing cause vs Northern

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He hit a six to get to his fifty, but then he was cleaned up next ball.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    It’s inherited from his mother’s side but she was not obese. As you say, Azam’s probably been like this from childhood due to diet and his parents take the blame. However he is working hard and doing his best to bring it under control (32 kgs in just a few months of hard work and he’s still not satisfied with this).

He continues to work hard on his keeping and a little more weight loss from 108kgs to 90-95kgs will do him wonders.
    I was really expecting a more intelligent comment than this one.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I was really expecting a more intelligent comment than this one.
    As far as I know, his mom is overweight, not obese. She is a rounder body type and that is likely part of the reason for Azam’s susceptibility to gaining excess amounts of weight, further exacerbated by (probably) an excessively unhealthy diet during his childhood.

He however retains some natural athleticism and this can be seen when he’s keeping. He’s already lost 32 kgs and is committed to working hard, and continues to toil away. I don’t see what is unintelligent about my comments and neither do I see anything intelligent about the criticism that Azam “considers representing his country as a joke and doesn’t show commitment”.

Nor the comment that “there is no such thing as big bones and pelvis” when it scientific fact that humans have different body types.

Nor the comment that “he just found cricket too easy, no exercise, no dietary restriction” when he has shed a whopping amount of weight and continues to spend 60% of his every day in the gym.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I am assuming Azam comes from a well off family, his dad runs the moin Khan cricket stadium, academy and has a top notch penthouse in creek vista, why doesn't he consider liposuction as an option?

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I am assuming Azam comes from a well off family, his dad runs the moin Khan cricket stadium, academy and has a top notch penthouse in creek vista, why doesn't he consider liposuction as an option?
    Liposuction is a mainly cosmetic procedure that works for a couple months and is no substitute for actual weight loss. If only it were that easy to fight obesity.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am assuming Azam comes from a well off family, his dad runs the ,moin Khan cricket stadium, academy and has a top notch penthouse in creek vista, why doesn't he consider liposuction as an option
    How will lipo improve his fitness and how is it sustainable? I was 110kgs and came down to 67kgs once upon a time. Its not rocket science loosing weight, he needs to eat lean and burn fat via HIT training. Then slowly incorporate more strength training too. He is doing fine and should be fit in around 6-9 months if he focuses.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Calgary, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His dad runs the Moin Khan Cricket Stadium?..

His Dad is Moin Khan.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're speaking about stones, the only stones you should be thinking about is the 3 stones you need to lose.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol as thunderbolt14 said, lipo is all cosmetic. It can't make you fitter and wont change your body chemistry. If you get it done, the fat comes out in other places.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kid has got massive biceps. He’s been training hard judging by his Instagram.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is mentally weak, a bigger issue than even his body fat. That is a big part of being an elite athlete. He would have known what all those siri paye breakfasts were doing for his career being the son of a world cup winning wicketkeeper.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont think he should be selected until hes physically fit and has performances to his name in domestic.
    Last edited by Firebat; 12th February 2021 at 19:03.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ‘I will leave no stone unturned..’

Then leaves domestic OD cup to play t10 which pays more money but is certainly bad for his development.

I was a fan but this simple act alone shows he will never make it as an international cricketer as he doesn’t have the drive to improve/ make sacrifices that you need to have a successful career.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post
    ‘I will leave no stone unturned..’

Then leaves domestic OD cup to play t10 which pays more money but is certainly bad for his development.

I was a fan but this simple act alone shows he will never make it as an international cricketer as he doesn’t have the drive to improve/ make sacrifices that you need to have a successful career.
    He is looking after himself and improving himself along the way.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AtifUk View Post
    He is mentally weak, a bigger issue than even his body fat. That is a big part of being an elite athlete. He would have known what all those siri paye breakfasts were doing for his career being the son of a world cup winning wicketkeeper.
    What makes him mentally weak?
    Eating siri paye in his teenage? Lol

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Dont think he should be selected until hes physically fit and has performances to his name in domestic.
    I think Riz will force his hand to lose weight and improve

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    He is looking after himself and improving himself along the way.
    That is a basic requirement which every club cricketer can claim.

In order to succeed at International cricket, you need to make sacrifices and work exceptionally hard. Kind of like how Shan Masood has done. Unfortunately for Shan, he just does not have the talent. Azam does, so if he puts in as much work he will succeed.

However by leaving a domestic ODI tournament where he would have the opportunity to keep for 50 overs at a time and bat long periods of time, plus decent quality of training, he has chosen the money of t10.

That tells me enough about his drive and mindset.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post
    That is a basic requirement which every club cricketer can claim.

In order to succeed at International cricket, you need to make sacrifices and work exceptionally hard. Kind of like how Shan Masood has done. Unfortunately for Shan, he just does not have the talent. Azam does, so if he puts in as much work he will succeed.

However by leaving a domestic ODI tournament where he would have the opportunity to keep for 50 overs at a time and bat long periods of time, plus decent quality of training, he has chosen the money of t10.

That tells me enough about his drive and mindset.
    You have to take into account that his father and family friend are involved in all of the franchises he plays for.
    They have invested money into their ventures and want Azam's support in making them successful.

This is why I have said this in the past as well that his dad and Nadeem omar are his worst enemies right now.
    They are not letting him come out of their shadows and be an independent cricketer.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think you definitely will need to turn a few stones if not kilos (get it) to get into Pak team.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He definitely has something about him. He needs to get into shape and play first class cricket.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    I think Riz will force his hand to lose weight and improve
    Riz is wayyy far above the pack. For me, its Riz then Rohail then Sarfraz and then comes Azam.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to be a pro athlete you have to be serious even before your teens. I've watched him for a couple of years and he's still fat. Doesn't take that long to not be fat.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He's certainly heavy enough to take part in professional stone lifting competitions. I can't believe that some of our fans have such limited intelligence that they think Azam Khan can be a professional wicketkeeper. He can be a hard-hitting middle order batsmen for white ball cricket, but he'll never be sufficiently agile to keep wicket. For the sake of his health too, I'd rather someone close to him tells him to focus solely on batting. Wicketkeeping will cripple his knees in the long-run.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    He's certainly heavy enough to take part in professional stone lifting competitions. I can't believe that some of our fans have such limited intelligence that they think Azam Khan can be a professional wicketkeeper. He can be a hard-hitting middle order batsmen for white ball cricket, but he'll never be sufficiently agile to keep wicket. For the sake of his health too, I'd rather someone close to him tells him to focus solely on batting. Wicketkeeping will cripple his knees in the long-run.
    The quantity of cricket is also a factor.

If he's playing the occasional T20 tournament then his knees and ankles may be able to take the weight he is carrying. But if he's going to be picked for first-class cricket and 50-over matches then he still needs to shed a few kilos otherwise he's an injury waiting to happen.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quantity of cricket is also a factor.

If he's playing the occasional T20 tournament then his knees and ankles may be able to take the weight he is carrying. But if he's going to be picked for first-class cricket and 50-over matches then he still needs to shed a few kilos otherwise he's an injury waiting to happen.
    Does Pakistan have different fitness standards per format? If not i dont see how he can pass the fitness test.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Riz is wayyy far above the pack. For me, its Riz then Rohail then Sarfraz and then comes Azam.
    Riz needs competition from the likes of Azam and Safaraz. It's SA competition that has forced him to become the player he is

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Riz needs competition from the likes of Azam and Safaraz. It's SA competition that has forced him to become the player he is

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Exactly. This is why I am so hsppy with Rizwan doing well as it will force Azam to improve and realize his talent.
    I dont want him to get into the side when he is undercooked and hasnt put in the hard yards by becoming a well rounded player by playing domestic cricket

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    You don’t need to leave stones unturned. You need to lose them.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You don’t need to leave stones unturned. You need to lose them.
    I dont really care about his weight. What concerns me is his lack of presence in domestic competitions. He needs to score tons of runs in first class cricket.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He hasn't shown any finishing capabilities in the matches he has played so far

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Watford, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He reminds me too much of Afridi - he has very good hitting ability but can’t reign himself in once he gets going.

I think one of the obvious reasons being his weight - you are not looking for quick singles with that frame. He needs to shed a fair bit and then maybe it will improve his match awareness in due course.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Name:  Azam Khan.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  57.1 KB

Azam Khan at Quetta Gladiators practice today.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has Quetta not got a kit yet?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Name:  Azam Khan.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  57.1 KB

Azam Khan at Quetta Gladiators practice today.
    69 today vs PZ in practice game - highest in his side today

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    69 today vs PZ in practice game - highest in his side today

Name:  1e0aac32-56bb-4c89-9318-005315b1910d.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  313.1 KB

Debut
    Apr 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You have to take into account that his father and family friend are involved in all of the franchises he plays for.
    They have invested money into their ventures and want Azam's support in making them successful.

This is why I have said this in the past as well that his dad and Nadeem omar are his worst enemies right now.
    They are not letting him come out of their shadows and be an independent cricketer.
    Bit similar to what kamran akmal was to umar akmal.
    He never let him play at one down when he was most needed.
    Ultimately he turned out to be soft belly and no body.

Sometimes you have to let your kids free to being out the best when they carve out their careers without the shadows

Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    Melbourne(Dilli)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched one of his innings in PSL couple of years ago. Had nice timing and balance at crease. However fielding and recovery after match could be a concern. Best of luck to him though.