Can Pakistan afford to open the batting with Babar Azam and Mohammad Rizwan? - Page 3

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

The strategy behind opening with Rizwan-Babar in T-20's

I wonder if the role given to these players is to see out the first 6 overs, play normal cricket and to take the score to 70-0 in 8-10 overs and then the team management backs the likes of Fakhar, Hafeez, Maqsood, Azam to efficiently hit out in the last 10 overs?

Not sure if this approach will work every time

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again the partnership is a success.

Ball was swinging early on and things could have gone ugly if we had lost two wickets early but hey it's more important to have hacks at the top of the order who will hit you a six after playing 10 dot balls and then get out.

The only two real players of quality once again proving everyone wrong

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Gujrat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I wonder if the role given to these players is to see out the first 6 overs, play normal cricket and to take the score to 70-0 in 8-10 overs and then the team management backs the likes of Fakhar, Hafeez, Maqsood, Azam to efficiently hit out in the last 10 overs?

Not sure if this approach will work every time
    It will work most time but not with tuller jori fakhar and sharjeel you are backing

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Pakistan is to have any chance at the T20 World Cup, its with these two opening the batting.

For months people here and everywhere else said this partnership wouldn't succeed. That both batsmen are not quick enough etc. etc. But now they have been proven wrong.

What these people fail to understand is that having two reliable openers who can get you to even 46-0 in the first 6 overs is a big plus. Because once the foundation is set the batsmen ahead will have it much easier which will enable them to play more freely. Compare this to the approach of opening with Fakhar or Sharjeel; yes they will get some quick runs upfront but their stay at the crease likely won't be very long. And then the batsmen ahead will have to rebuild, which will further drag down the run-rate and lessen the chances of getting a big score.

Not only does common sense tell you that opening with Rizwan and Babar is a better strategy for Pakistan that will succeed on far more occasions than the other one, but the numbers don't lie either.

Babar and Rizwan have added three century stands in just 12 innings together and are just one short of equaling the record for most century stands by any pair in T20Is. And as far as 150-plus partnerships go only one pair (Dhawan/Rohit) has stitched two 150-plus-run partnerships in T20Is before Babar and Rizwan. For an opening partnership that has been there for such a short period of time, they have been remarkably successful.

Pakistan has alot of problems in their side that still need to be sorted out before the World Cup. But if there's one thing that is working its these two at the top. And credit to Misbah and the management for persisting with this opening combination despite the early failures.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 17th July 2021 at 13:55.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    The best opening partnership in Pakistan history. Better than Saeed Anwar-Amir Sohail.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe there are people questioning these 2. This is the best T20 opening pair we have produced. They are consistent, can hit shots, and have played several match-winning innings. The focus needs to be on finalizing the lower order batting.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should be the openers they have preformed brilliantly.the way speed shot rizwan played for six was magnificent

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best opening pair i have seen for Pakistan since i have started watching cricket. This opening pair needs to be extended to ODIs as well. We need to follow the T20I blueprint in ODIs as well. This is the only recipe of success because players like Imam are simply not performing and our cricket style in ODIs is lethargic.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two proper batsman are opening, they both should be doing in ODIs as well

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Babar and Rizwan speaking to the PCB about their performances in the 1st T20I

Mohammad Rizwan:

"The reason behind our success is our mutual consultation. We keep talking from our ends. Babar Azam has a role to play in my innings. I got run out on many occasions early in my career but with Babar, running between wickets is superb," said Rizwan.

"When (Matt) Parkinson came to bowl, Babar advised me to play with a straight bat. We have got the momentum, we can win the series," he added.

Babar Azam:

''We decided that we will play the first few deliveries carefully"

''At the start of the innings, Rizwan was finding it hard to score so I took the charge so we don't come under pressure. Our aim was to score eight to ten runs in initial overs. David Willey was getting assistance from the pitch early on"

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Venue
    Great Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trickyone View Post
    Two proper batsman are opening, they both should be doing in ODIs as well
    Rizwan
    Babar
    Maqsood
    Saud
    Fakhar

In ODIs?

Debut
    Sep 2009
    Venue
    Great Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    375 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The best opening partnership in Pakistan history. Better than Saeed Anwar-Amir Sohail.
    Sarcastic or Exaggerated?

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imshally81 View Post
    Rizwan
    Babar
    Maqsood
    Saud
    Fakhar

In ODIs?
    I will rather add Haider Ali one down...

Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    Replace Azam Khan with dare I say it Shoaib Malik and you have an ok team for UAE conditions.
    Yeah Malik sounds like a better option

Miles fitter and more athletic than younger jokers like Sharjeel and Azam

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts. Absolutely they should open in t20s for sure. They should bat when the power play is up for grabs and setup game for a competitive score. The more you try to preserve them you falter and considered a negative approach

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rizwan and hafeez totally killed the momentum today

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is rest of the batting stats. Pakistan has a problem that except these two no is scoring big.

Hence the moment any of these two gets out especially early in the innings. The middle order simply
    fold's in and hence it's imperative that one of these two must bat deep till rest of the batting is sorted.

Also you will never get a 65 or 70 in 6 overs with these two. Pakistan need to get Rizwan at no.3 let
    any hack open with babar with clear instruction to blaze away. All batsmen except These two must be
    told to bat aggressively so that these two can play their natural game.

Pakistan can't win World cup without trying various combinations

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif321 View Post
    Rizwan and hafeez totally killed the momentum today
    Lol Rizwan killed the momentum? As soon as Rizwan got out the team fell like dominos. Atleast be morally honest when criticising someone.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Didnt watch the match yesterday as I was playing but just saw the replay of the batting innings.

Rizwan is a below par T20 opener one way or another. When he bats poorly in the power play, he makes it up with 5-6 boundary balls once set (after 25 balls).

If he has a decent powerplay where he goes at a strike rate of 180, he then finds a way to slow down later at some point. He is pointless and a waste of time! Need to move on with him as an opener, there is nothing to gain with him!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah's rubbish tactics in everything make us look like a nation that is poor and destitute in cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes no difference if Babar and Rizwan is viewed as the best/worst openers for Pakistan T20.

There is no other options available who can perform as often.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Didnt watch the match yesterday as I was playing but just saw the replay of the batting innings.

Rizwan is a below par T20 opener one way or another. When he bats poorly in the power play, he makes it up with 5-6 boundary balls once set (after 25 balls).

If he has a decent powerplay where he goes at a strike rate of 180, he then finds a way to slow down later at some point. He is pointless and a waste of time! Need to move on with him as an opener, there is nothing to gain with him!
    According to you, Haris Rauf with an average of 25 and an economy of 8.94, been our worst bowler both games and has given zero performances in international or PSL cricket = a player we should invest in and is unfairly criticised. However Rizwan with an average of 44, most consistent T20I batsmen for us over the last year, played match winning hands in England, New Zealand, South Africa and prevented us from a 3-0 dubbing against Zimbabwe = a waste of time who should be dropped for the most overrated batsmen in Pakistan history. Makes a lot of sense
    @Mamoon now I understand why you always say "we deserve this humilation"

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel should be given a go in the next series to see what he can do but I think Babar and Rizwan should open

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The criticism of Rizwan on here is delusional. It really is.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shahzad1985 View Post
    The criticism of Rizwan on here is delusional. It really is.
    Comes from few people who support Sarfaraz Ahmed blindly because of his ethnicity. Rizwan averages 42.5 in SENA against likes of Anderson, Broad, Cummins, Starc, Southee and Boult ... Against same set of Bowlers Sarfaraz averages ~23 LOL. These guys have no shame.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    These two have really done well to keep Pakistan exciting as a team otherwise we would be having more embarrassing loses especially on tour of Africa and Zimbabwe.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Stats of Baber Azam and Rizwan VS other Pakistani batsmen in the last year

Can someone post stats of Pakistani batsmen in the last 12 months or so compare that to Rizwan and Baber. It would be interesting to see because from what I remember most of the other batsmen have been massive disappointment and we were always rescued by Azam or Rizwan even against the likes of Zimbabwe.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSN View Post
    Can someone post stats of Pakistani batsmen in the last 12 months or so compare that to Rizwan and Baber. It would be interesting to see because from what I remember most of the other batsmen have been massive disappointment and we were always rescued by Azam or Rizwan even against the likes of Zimbabwe.
    What you are expecting from others, if these 2 played 18 overs @ 7 RR in a T20 match against Zimbabwe that rested Sean Williams

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iniqbal223 View Post
    What you are expecting from others, if these 2 played 18 overs @ 7 RR in a T20 match against Zimbabwe that rested Sean Williams
    Now your just making scorecards up to fit your agenda

Every batsmen -including your beloved Sharjeel- got ample time that series to make a difference and cement their place in our team but guess what they all failed. If these guys are failing in Zimbabwe than imagine what they will be doing against better teams.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a big fan of putting your best players upfront. So putting Babar, Rizwan at the top of the order makes sense to me.

Problem is, there is no one, once they are gone, who can make Pakistan cross the line. Thin on resources at the moment.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdurmirr View Post
    Now your just making scorecards up to fit your agenda

Every batsmen -including your beloved Sharjeel- got ample time that series to make a difference and cement their place in our team but guess what they all failed. If these guys are failing in Zimbabwe than imagine what they will be doing against better teams.
    How much chances did Sharjeel get ?

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MRSN View Post
    Name:  2021-07-20_12-35-41.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  227.5 KB

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar and Rizwan with most number of T20Is runs in the world in last one year.

Name:  2021-07-20_12-53-23.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  239.0 KB

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at how bad the middle order is and to avoid having two accumulators at the top, this should be the line-up

(Not many options tho)

Sharjeel
    Rizwan
    Babar
    Fakhar
    Hafeez/ Malik (Experience + 6th bowler)
    Maqsood
    Imad/ Nawaz
    Hassan
    Shadab
    Wahab/ Hasnain
    Shaheen

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The batting order is a complete shambles with these two at the top. It just isnt working out for the rest of the team but its working out fine just for these two

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíd stick with them two as openers. We need to fix the middle order.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Iím sorry but this has to be the worst opening pair weíve played in T20ís. Consistently scoring runs doesnít make you a good batsman, itís how you score them and at what rate you score them.

Iíd rather watch us be 25-2 after 2 overs over 17-0 after 4 overs. If you canít take advantage of the PP then how do you expect to score boundaries when the fielders are place at the boundaries.

Iím sick and tired of seeing overs being wasted where these two batsmen look to take singles only, and when they try to attack it doesnít look good.

Iíd rather have an inconsistent attacking batsmen over a consistent batsmen who plays slow as fudge.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    NO.

Big no.

Wasting Fakhar/Sharjeel's spot as a big hitting opener.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    Surrey
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The batting order is a complete shambles with these two at the top. It just isnt working out for the rest of the team but its working out fine just for these two
    I partially agree... Babar should give up T20's if he wants to preserve his batting technique, but take rizwan out of this batting line up and you would find pakistan will struggle to make 120 runs or bat out 20 overs as they are mentally all very week barring Rizwan who is gutsy and clever but unfortunately for him very limited... This team is utter shambles with the bat...

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    NO.

Big no.

Wasting Fakhar/Sharjeel's spot as a big hitting opener.
    Big hitting openers who will have us 8/2 after 3 overs.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdurmirr View Post
    Big hitting openers who will have us 8/2 after 3 overs.
    Why do you keep speculating??

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Name:  2021-07-20_12-35-41.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  227.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Babar and Rizwan with most number of T20Is runs in the world in last one year.

Name:  2021-07-20_12-53-23.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  239.0 KB
    Thanks a lot.

So my point was right. The rest of the batting has just been super ordinary yet posters want to replace top scorers.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you keep speculating??
    I mean one batsmen needs about 20 balls to get going and the other one failed in a PSL where Maqsood and Asif Ali batted like ABD and Kohli so I think it’s a fair speculation

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar and Rizzy opening for pakistan will simply not work. We saw babar wasn't playing his natural game and was slogging.

This will happen as pressure of scoring runs in powerplay will.be immense.

Babar must come at no.3 control the middle overs he plays spinner best and this will also allow rizzy and everyone else play freely.

Pakistan must experiment with sharjeel as opener for few games to see the impact

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I partially agree... Babar should give up T20's if he wants to preserve his batting technique, but take rizwan out of this batting line up and you would find pakistan will struggle to make 120 runs or bat out 20 overs as they are mentally all very week barring Rizwan who is gutsy and clever but unfortunately for him very limited... This team is utter shambles with the bat...
    Keep dreaming about babar giving up t20s.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1614 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    No!

They both arenít natural openers and having them open weakens the middle order. Iím fine with Rizwan opening but he needs to open with Fakhar. Stat padder Babar needs to come at 3, instead of opening and facing more deliveries to enhance his stats.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amazing. This tread and posts in here is mind boggling. People are mixing game of cricket with entertainment. When as a fan you support your team you want them to win and when as a movie goer you go to watch a movie you don't care if it turns out to be a hit or flop, you go to get entertained. As a fan we have a direct stake in pakistan cricket and as someone wanting entertainment they just want themselves to be entertained.

We can categorise the posters in these two different buckets here by looking through their posts.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think theyíre gonna lose some important matches. They (especially Rizwan) were bullying some C & D teams for a year or two

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes. They just need to show more intent from the get go. No room for regular anchors in T20 cricket even if itís in the UAE.

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Iím not convinced about Rizwan in UAE conditions. Feel like heís good only on pitches where the ball comes onto the bat quicker. Hope he proves me wrong

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    I think theyíre gonna lose some important matches. They (especially Rizwan) were bullying some C & D teams for a year or two
    I am still surprised that Pakistan screwed up so badly by not picking their #1 T20 opener Sharjeel Khan for T20 WC. I have seen lot of screw ups from Pakistan but this takes the cake

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of things that Pakistan cannot afford, but as a deeply mediocre team with very little talent, we have to make do with what we have.

Babar and Rizwan combo is not ideal but it is the best we can have at the moment. They are the two best batsman in the team and it is better to give them maximum overs.
    How are they the two best batsmen in the team?

Fakhar Zaman is our match winner
    Hafeez is out of form otherwise he would score more important runs than these two would at a crucial juncture
    Malik looks like he is right at home on these wickets.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think they’re gonna lose some important matches. They (especially Rizwan) were bullying some C & D teams for a year or two
    Hellaluja!

Finally people starting to see the light!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they’re gonna lose some important matches. They (especially Rizwan) were bullying some C & D teams for a year or two
    Rizwan must be so bored of proving his haters wrong.

Watch it happen again.

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree 100%. For goodness sake it is T20. Sharjeel and Fakhar should open the batting together, no questions asked!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post

Watch it happen again.
    But he hasn’t proven anyone wrong

He is still a bad T20i opener in comparison to the openers all other teams are sending out.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    How are they the two best batsmen in the team?

Fakhar Zaman is our match winner
    Hafeez is out of form otherwise he would score more important runs than these two would at a crucial juncture
    Malik looks like he is right at home on these wickets.
    Fakhar is a match-winner and I like him at 3. He can play an explosive innings after Babar-Rizwan give Pakistan a solid start. However, he is not a better batsman than either Babar or Rizwan because when things are not going his way, he bats like a miserable hack.

For Fakhar to score runs, lots of things have to fall in place for him. He needs loose bowling and dropped catches because he gives chances to the opposition.

Hafeez’s purple patch is over but he is still a better middle-order option than the hyped up youngsters, though he is clearly not a better player than either Babar or Rizwan.

Malik is going to bat at 4-5, he is probably our best middle-order player, but he cannot place pace and you cannot open with him so I don’t see the point in comparing him to Babar and Rizwan.

As far as your notion that Rizwan is a “bad” T20I opener compared to the ones found in other teams, well the reality is that he is not competing then for a spot in the team. Moreover, if Pakistan was capable of producing openers like Rahul, Rohit, Warner, Finch, Roy, Bairstow, Buttler etc. it wouldn’t be considered such a mediocre team and would have been among the big favorites for the title.

You are deluding yourself if you think Sharjeel belongs in that league. He is nowhere near that league because he is a very poor batsman.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If people can be deluded to think an obese player who is not even fit and doesnt even perform at international level is our best player and should had been opener, just shows you their thinking.

Whether anyone likes it or not, Babar and Rizwan will be opening, there are no plans to change that

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fakhar is a match-winner and I like him at 3. He can play an explosive innings after Babar-Rizwan give Pakistan a solid start. However, he is not a better batsman than either Babar or Rizwan because when things are not going his way, he bats like a miserable hack.

For Fakhar to score runs, lots of things have to fall in place for him. He needs loose bowling and dropped catches because he gives chances to the opposition.

Hafeez’s purple patch is over but he is still a better middle-order option than the hyped up youngsters, though he is clearly not a better player than either Babar or Rizwan.

Malik is going to bat at 4-5, he is probably our best middle-order player, but he cannot place pace and you cannot open with him so I don’t see the point in comparing him to Babar and Rizwan.

As far as your notion that Rizwan is a “bad” T20I opener compared to the ones found in other teams, well the reality is that he is not competing then for a spot in the team. Moreover, if Pakistan was capable of producing openers like Rahul, Rohit, Warner, Finch, Roy, Bairstow, Buttler etc. it wouldn’t be considered such a mediocre team and would have been among the big favorites for the title.

You are deluding yourself if you think Sharjeel belongs in that league. He is nowhere near that league because he is a very poor batsman.
    How is Sharjeel a poor batsman, lol. Heís scored hundreds in competitions where the current batsmen in our team failed to do so.

Heís arguably our best T20 batsman along with Fakhar. These two are made for this format. The sooner Babar and Rizwan are kicked out of the T20 team the better.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    How is Sharjeel a poor batsman, lol. He’s scored hundreds in competitions where the current batsmen in our team failed to do so.

He’s arguably our best T20 batsman along with Fakhar. These two are made for this format. The sooner Babar and Rizwan are kicked out of the T20 team the better.
    Im of the opinion now that our fans love to behave like those unthankful people who would prefer to enjoy this mediocrity which is influenced by Misbah's style of play instead of truly trying to adapt to modern batting standards.

Let them have this sorry opening combination and let them lie to themselves by saying we have no choice but to go with this sorry opening combination.

There is a reason why I always say Rizwan fans are not truly Pakistan fans. If this opening combination that has been inspired by Rizwan's inflated stats and performances against sorry bowling attacks costs us a major game in this world cup, then I wont be gloating around telling everyone 'I told you so' like Mamoon would if Rauf fails or someone like Shadab fails because he simply cares about his own reputation as a so called expert on this forum. If Rizwan's batting style costs us this world cup, I will simply be upset and hurt that this was a situation that could have been avoided if we had the correct visionaries in the PCB to realise we are not on the right track. Pakistan's defeat will be extremely painful in this case.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    If people can be deluded to think an obese player who is not even fit and doesnt even perform at international level is our best player and should had been opener, just shows you their thinking.

Whether anyone likes it or not, Babar and Rizwan will be opening, there are no plans to change that
    You try to appropriate Misbah ul Haq on this forum for everyone.

Please appropriate his decision to open a T20i match against Australia?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    How is Sharjeel a poor batsman, lol. Heís scored hundreds in competitions where the current batsmen in our team failed to do so.

Heís arguably our best T20 batsman along with Fakhar. These two are made for this format. The sooner Babar and Rizwan are kicked out of the T20 team the better.
    Sharjeelís embarrassing record in international cricket proves that he is a poor batsmen. He is not good enough against the good sides in any format.

Babar and Rizwan will always be more likely to score then Sharjeel, and Fakhar is better as well.

I find it ridiculous that there are people who still back Sharjeel. Thankfully there is only a slim chance of him playing another match for Pakistan.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Im of the opinion now that our fans love to behave like those unthankful people who would prefer to enjoy this mediocrity which is influenced by Misbah's style of play instead of truly trying to adapt to modern batting standards.

Let them have this sorry opening combination and let them lie to themselves by saying we have no choice but to go with this sorry opening combination.

There is a reason why I always say Rizwan fans are not truly Pakistan fans. If this opening combination that has been inspired by Rizwan's inflated stats and performances against sorry bowling attacks costs us a major game in this world cup, then I wont be gloating around telling everyone 'I told you so' like Mamoon would if Rauf fails or someone like Shadab fails because he simply cares about his own reputation as a so called expert on this forum. If Rizwan's batting style costs us this world cup, I will simply be upset and hurt that this was a situation that could have been avoided if we had the correct visionaries in the PCB to realise we are not on the right track. Pakistan's defeat will be extremely painful in this case.
    Our fans are delusional. If Rizwan doesnít score a mountain of runs, our fans will claim that a rubbish player like Sharjeel would have set the world on fire.

This is why Pakistani fans are known all over the world for being the most delusional fan base in the game.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If today's low-scoring matches are going to be the norm in the tournament, then Pak will be glad to have Rizwan and Babar as openers. Looks like 40/0 after 6 overs will be a good score.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmaji View Post
    If today's low-scoring matches are going to be the norm in the tournament, then Pak will be glad to have Rizwan and Babar as openers. Looks like 40/0 after 6 overs will be a good score.
    Don’t get this mistaken because SENA+ West Indies sides are poor against spin.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not just spin though, even the fast bowlers got wickets today. And worse, many of the batsmen just threw away their wickets. The ball is not coming on nicely to the bat, so the batters have to play smartly. Hence Rizwan and Babar might actually do well with their natural approach.

Don’t get this mistaken because SENA+ West Indies sides are poor against spin.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

And rightly so they should be opening

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think if they are settled no need to unpair them. Besides their SR is also near 140 for a year now. On par or even better tahn Buttler, Bairstow, Marsh, Roy, Finch last 1 year performances in this format.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Something tells me (after seeing today's games) that we will be thanking Riz and Babar for staying on the crease for first 6 overs!

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Misbah worked on them and it proved to be a good combination. ended the streak

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch it happen again.
    And it happened again.

Will we now finally can the Rizwan hate?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad day for Rana and that Mrs Sarfaraz Ahmed burner account

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it happened again.

Will we now finally can the Rizwan hate?
    He does it time after time, yet certain people just can't accept it. He just helped to dominate one of the best teams in the world both with the gloves and the bat on one of the biggest stages of them all to literally make history for Pakistan.

But Babar and Rizwan are holding us back right? Can we really afford to open the batting with these 2?

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best openers I've ever seen from Pakistan in any format. I don't understand why they are not opening in ODIs too. There really is no point changing something that isn't broke, especially for the likes of inconsistent, unfit Sharjeel (or Fakhar even who isn't too great in the format).

Openers main job is to lay out a platform at a decent SR so middle order can build on. These two do this better than any other pair right now. People are hoping on having the opener who scores a 50 at SR 160 1 time and then gets out cheaply the other 10 games. The latter type will lose you more matches than he'll win, as he'll force the middle order to play more conservatively due to early wickets. Being consistent as an opener, getting a score regularly and not getting bogged down (which some hitters do, swinging and hitting nothing, these two keep the scoreboard ticking with runs easily even if they aren't hitting boundaries) is the most important thing for an opener.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was a masterclass performance best I have seen.
    Running between the wickets was top class.
    Playing each bowl on it's merit was brilliant.
    Not letting the opposition back in the game.