User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

PSL 6 preview : Can a 'hit and miss' Quetta pace-bowling attack help win the 2021 title?

4 wins out of 10 matches in last year’s edition of the Pakistan Super League saw Quetta Gladiators miss out on the second stage of the tournament due to an inferior Net Run-Rate to Peshawar Zalmi. For a team that has been beaten finalists twice and were crowned winners in 2019, this was a major disappointment and an underachievement.

Despite the below-par performances of last year, the Gladiators owners haven’t panicked and made major changes. The coaching staff is once again led by former Pakistan wicket-keeper and captain Moin Khan, whilst many of last year’s squad have been retained. Only time will tell whether this was the right call, but another poor tournament and the heat will be on the coaching staff, skipper Sarfaraz Ahmed and several of the regular Quetta players.

Strengths

They have a number of players who have a lot of Twenty20 League experience under their belts having played in such leagues all around the world. Faf du Plessis, Ben Cutting, Chris Gayle and Cameron Delport have a wealth of experience in Twenty20 cricket and that could be vital and key for the Gladiators. When it comes to experience overall, add Sarfaraz Ahmed, Anwar Ali and Dale Steyn to the mix and you have a squad who should be well aware of what to expect in a T20 tournament, how to pace themselves and how to come out on top to win the title. There are a number of big names in the squad with a lot of cricket under their belt and if they gel well then that could well spell trouble for the opposition.

Weaknesses

The pace-bowling looks hit and miss. On a good day the likes of Usman Shinwari, Mohammad Hasnain, Naseem Shah, Dale Steyn and Anwar Ali could be very effective, but will they have the consistency day in, day out and perform to the level needed to win a tournament such as the Pakistan Super League? It looks like a pace-bowling unit that could on a good day blast out the opposition, but on a bad day could go for plenty. Also, perhaps there is too much loyalty amongst the players that they are being retained each year and this could hurt Quetta.

Players to watch out for

Azam Khan and Tom Banton could form an interesting and explosive duo in the Quetta batting line-up. Both have the potential to single-handedly win matches and providing they can show a little more discipline with the bat, they could have excellent tournaments. In Azam, Quetta have an improving cricketer who has shown that he has the ability to clear the rope with ease and upset any opposition bowling line-up. With Banton around, he could be the perfect foil for Azam at PSL6.

Verdict

Whilst the Gladiators squad has a lot of experience, some exciting youngsters and consistent performers, they will need to be brave if they are to challenge the top teams this time around. The squad has an average look about it and their tactics and selections will have to be top notch if they are to reach their fourth PSL final. Will they be brave enough to drop Sarfaraz Ahmed and pick Azam Khan as the wicket-keeper, will Naseem Shah fire after his horrible tour of New Zealand, will the older and experienced players have the desire and the legs to raise their game once again in a T20 tournament? There are a lot of questions about the squad and perhaps that will mean that it could be another frustrating tournament for them.

Full Squad:

Quetta Gladiators (retained) – Abdul Nasir (silver); Anwar Ali (silver, successful relegation request); Arish Ali Khan (emerging); Azam Khan (gold); Ben Cutting (diamond); Cameron Delport (silver); Chris Gayle (platinum); Dale Steyn (supplementary); Mohammad Hasnain (diamond); Mohammad Nawaz (diamond); Naseem Shah (gold); Qais Ahmed (silver); Saim Ayub (emerging) Sarfaraz Ahmed; Tom Banton (both platinum); Usman Khan (supplementary); Usman Shinwari (gold) and Zahid Mahmood (silver, brand ambassador); Faf du Plessis (partial replacement for Chris Gayle)
    Last edited by MenInG; 16th February 2021 at 21:40.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris gayle
    Saim ayub E
    Bantom
    Delport
    Sarfraz
    Azam khan
    Nawaz
    Steyn
    Husnain
    Zahid mahmood
    Shinwari

Best batting line up in the tournament but i fear their bowling may let them down

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Azam Khan means business!

Name:  99815311-73b2-459c-8234-05e8f9fafe08.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  315.9 KB

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rumors that Safraz may be opening for Quetta.. that'll be interesting

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    Rumors that Safraz may be opening for Quetta.. that'll be interesting
    KARACHI: Former Pakistani captain and Quetta Gladiators’ skipper, Sarfaraz Ahmed is confident to turn the fortunes for him with the bat in the upcoming sixth edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

Sharing his views in a video released by his franchise from the sidelines of their training camp on Tuesday, Sarfaraz said he will fit is his batting number according to team’s combination.

“I have my batting number in my mind but it depends on what combination we make on the day. I will try my best to win matches for Quetta Gladiators with my batting,” he said.

Sarfaraz recalled last PSL season for his team and said they don’t want to think about that. “Last season was not good for us but we have learned a lot from that. We will sit and plan the things prior to our match,” he shared.

The skipper said they will miss Shane Watson who remained with their side for three years but the induction of players like Chris Gayle, Dale Steyn and Tom Banton has brought in a balanced combination.

“Gayle and Steyn are world-class. Both bring in a lot of experience into our side. If we look at Gayle’s PSL performance, the numbers are not much impressive but I hope Gayle storm comes this year from Quetta,” he concluded.

https://arysports.tv/win-matches-que...arfaraz-ahmed/

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Name:  4461a3b2-ab1a-4cfd-8a74-450441524c0a.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  129.0 KB

Ben Cutting arrives

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Message from Tom Banton

Last edited by MenInG; 17th February 2021 at 23:32.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Pictures from practice game that QG won by 23 runs vs PZ

Name:  cfd5e653-f2df-4ae8-b71f-6566ddf5d7b9.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  366.2 KBName:  3c234bd7-8277-4f28-914f-ff429a0626f0.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  478.1 KB
    Name:  7ad4f9cf-8705-4bc5-bb9d-b518c0153774.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  430.3 KBName:  463bd39b-366c-4ed7-81ed-defa13bfe0e5.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  462.4 KBName:  e2813490-4a2e-43b7-9019-90e367f82b7f.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  463.7 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 18th February 2021 at 01:43.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quetta Gladiators supplementary pick Dale Steyn will miss his side’s first two HBL Pakistan Super League 6 matches due to a family commitment. The South African fast bowler is expected to reach Karachi on 22 February after which he will be available for the franchise after going through the necessary testing and quarantine.

The Gladiators have brought in young all-rounder Hassan Khan as his partial replacement to the squad.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Video of practice

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quetta Gladiators mentor Sir Vivian Richards will not be part of the Quetta Gladiators in this PSL after he decided to stay home given the serious Covid situation all around the world.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Sarfaraz speaking to the media today:

"I will be 'keeping for the team and if God forbid I have an injury then Azam is present as cover"

"Naseem appears to be in rhythm based on what we have seen in the team practice and the practice match we played; He has been part of the side for the last 2 years, so he has experience although he doesn't have that much experience in T20s; However he is an asset for our side and we hope that he will perform well when he plays for the side"

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Sarfaraz seems to be under pressure on many fronts, if he doesnt get his side to the final, he could well be replaced as captain in PSL 7

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Weak bowling?? Husnain , Naseem , Steyn , Cutting , Shinwari , Zahid , Arish ,

Order in terms of expected performance , seems to me very strong bowling attack.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Saad View Post

Order in terms of expected performance , seems to me very strong bowling attack.
    Their bowling line up is good but they look like they will go for alot of runs

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Saad View Post

Hasnain, Naseem Steyn are not the forces of nature in every game they play - on and off.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Chris Gayle is in Karachi!

Name:  0b3a6d9a-a59e-4d5e-b421-ed855bb669fe.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  192.2 KB

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Chris Gayle is in Karachi!

Name:  0b3a6d9a-a59e-4d5e-b421-ed855bb669fe.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  192.2 KB
    Chris Gayle will play 2 games and then leave

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will follow them for Hasnain and Azam Khan. Two players whom i believe should get a look in Pakistan's T20 line up

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Message from Viv Richards

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just saw all the squads, Quetta are winning this tournament. I think they have the strongest squad.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very dangerous batting lineup that Quetta have gone with for the opening game vs KK. Banton, Gayle, Sarf, Azam, Ayub, Cutting, Nawaz.

Good firepower throughout

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The sooner they drop Sarfraz the better.

Get Azam Khan as w/k and that will make room for another proper batsman or all-rounder.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

Get Azam Khan as w/k and that will make room for another proper batsman or all-rounder.
    Leadership isnt something you can learn on the go, as clearly seen by Babar's bowler rotation.

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Birmingham, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

Is he trying to directly compete with Rizwan?
    Or is he trying to ruin another young players (Saim Ayub)career.
    He didn't bother playing Amin properly, beched Saud for 2 seasons I think. This season, knowing clearly he's is better suited to middle over game, he opens and drops Saim to no 4.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    Leadership isnt something you can learn on the go, as clearly seen by Babar's bowler rotation.
    It would be a brave move to drop Sarfraz, but it's something QG might have to think about.

Regarding captaincy - Cutting could easily take over as skipper.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Sarfaraz looks like a content captain who is under zero pressure to prove anything. His leadership is very stagnant now. QG need a fresh perspective and energy

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Message from Viv Richards

No tummy at 68, still a fit man.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Sarfaraz looks like a content captain who is under zero pressure to prove anything. His leadership is very stagnant now. QG need a fresh perspective and energy
    The look of a captain who knows he is comfortable with the owners and management and is unlikely to be dropped.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Sarfraz Ahmed after the loss to Karachi Kings today:

We had a target of 170 to 180 in mind, but unfortunately we lost early wickets and that’s why we couldn’t get back into the match.

I’m hopeful that we’ll do better in the coming matches.

Let’s see regarding my opening the batting. Today I opened, but let’s see where the team needs me to bat as our middle-order also struggled today. We’ll sit don together with the management and decide what we want to do.

We didn’t have enough runs on the board so we had to change our bowling strategy and attack with the pace bowlers. If we get runs on the board I believe that we have the bowlers to do well.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Dale Steyn has arrived - He will be available for selection after completing his quarantine.

Name:  52453805-b91a-488b-9a9f-b48eead9e0ea.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  119.4 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 22nd February 2021 at 12:32.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Some serious questions on Sarfaraz's leadership being asked - hope this improves.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Sarfaraz speaking after loss to Lahore Qalandars

"When you drop so many catches of such good players then it becomes difficult to win matches; Also our bowling was not up to the mark as we failed to stick to our plan of bowling wicket to wicket which is why we lost the match today"

"Look T20 games are won mainly by fielding as both teams can match each other in batting and bowling; The main difference between both teams is the fielding as good teams take good catches - we didn't do all of these things so we lost the game today"

"We are trying our best to get a good combination going - in the previous game we had a different combination and this time we had another one so I am hoping once we have the right combination in place, the team will start winning"

"I had been batting well in nets also, and after today's performance I am feeling confident and this will help me in the upcoming games"

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The batting order looks strange
    Cutting at number 7
    Saim opening at this level
    The fielding
    The bowling is all over the place
    The skipper's body language

Plenty of work for the management to do.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quetta Gladiators batsman Chris Gayle will depart today to travel to West Indies for series vs Sri Lanka.

He will rejoin the team in Lahore Leg.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azam khan
    Banton
    Delport
    Faf duplessis
    Sarfaraz
    Cutting
    Nawaz
    Hasnain
    Zahid
    Usman
    Naseem

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Glad to be playing cricket in pandemic – Chris Gayle

Karachi, 23 February 2021:

Chris Gayle has reasons to be emotional. He is in Pakistan after a long 15-year gap to feature in the HBL PSL 6. As such, the “Universe Boss” is featuring in the shortest format for the first time in the country.

The most poignant reason for him is he is playing cricket in a pandemic. Although less, but there are some people to cheer him and he plays for people.

“I am glad to be playing cricket at this particular time,” Gayle, who is the only player to smash more than a thousand sixes in T20 cricket, said. “Playing during this particular time is a blessing. Hopefully, things can get better in the future.

“When you look at what's happening in the world there are no fans in the stadiums and people have to watch [cricket] on television. It is something people and players look back and say we have to appreciate times when we actually had good things and not take them for granted.

“Things are tough with the world in pause. We must not take life for granted when things can open. We're going to try to live the best life and live it to the fullest, spend more time with family and friends and reach out to the people a lot more.”

“People were actually at a distance from their families and friends and when all this happened around the world, it brought them closer.”

Gayle hoped cricket will start again at its fullest.

“I am sure players are still hungry for it. “It is our livelihood, it is our job, our earning and that is what we know.”

The 41-year-old Jamaican smashed a 24-ball 39 in the first match and followed it up with a rapidfire 40-ball 68 for Quetta Gladiators against Lahore Qalandars on Monday.

Gayle striking big was no surprise for the fans and followers of the game alike as he boasts a staggering record in T20 cricket. He is the leading run scorer in the format with 13,691 runs at an average of 38.35 and a staggering strike rate of 146.86.

Along with being the only batsman to have smashed over a thousand sixers – 1,008 to be precise – Gayle has also smashed 1,050 fours.

In the first two HBL PSL seasons, Gayle donned Lahore Qalandars’ and Karachi Kings’ colours in 2016 and 2017, respectively.

On touring Pakistan for the first time since being part of the West Indies team on their 2006 tour, Gayle acknowledges it's pleasing to tour the country.

"It's good to be in Pakistan after 15 years," said Gayle, who will leave shortly to feature in the West Indies' T20I against Sri Lanka back home. “It's fantastic! I did not get a full house based on restrictions, but it was good to see some people. It was good to have a blast. I am looking forward to continuing playing in Pakistan.”

Recalling the bitter-sweet memories of the 2006 tour, Gayle said: “My memory of playing a Test in Multan is good as I scored 94 [93 off 182], but missed out on a hundred. I was leg-before to Danish Kaneria. Then Mohammad Yousuf and Younis Khan kept us in the field for a long time under a boiling sun.

“I also remember Brian Lara smashing Kaneria for something like 26 runs after a bit of a banter. It was fantastic to see that as a youngster.”

On his self-styled claim of being "Universe Boss," Gayle acknowledged it as a blessing.

“It is good when you are someone who has that impact around the world. It is a joy that people turn out for you. So, that makes me happy. It is fantastic.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    Offenbach am Main, Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1064 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

PSL 6 preview : Can a 'hit and miss' Quetta pace-bowling attack help win the 2021 title?

Usually, I really dislike the sight of seeing Sarfaraz yelling at his bowlers, but I would´ve actually done the same had I been in his place yesterday. Poor, poor bowling to the extremes! Atrocious, really!

It might be too early to say this, but I think that Quetta lack a good bowling attack. Collectively, they may still look okay, but they lack a bowler with that X-factor thing. Nobody seems like a strike bowler from amongst them.

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Faf du Plessis has joined Quetta Gladiators as Chris Gayle has departed for national duty.

Name:  861e749f-64fb-4c02-8ff1-56f479eaf886.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  165.1 KB

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    They were really bad yesterday on the field. No wonder Sarfi was having a heart attack.

Ive got to say and this is a general comment about the PSL they need to reinvigorate the league a bit with some new blood with regards to the foreign players. Take a chance on some younger people. Quetta look like bottom of the table hopefuls at the moment.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dale Steyn is ready to go!

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quetta just can't catch a break.

Poor Sarfaraz really needs to win a toss, I worry for his mental health now. These guys can't defend a score to save their lives.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Sarfaraz speaking at end of the game:

"I believe fielding lapses put us at a disadvantage as we saw in the case of Rutherford where we missed his runout; Had we not done that, I believe that the match's outcome could have changed"

"Pitches are very good but the execution by the bowlers is not good; We do give bowlers plans but the execution is not good; If we give chances to good batsmen due to our fielding then they wont give you a chance to comeback into the game"

"Our plan was to bowl wicket to wicket but due to the tense situation, it becomes a bit difficult to control the wet ball towards the end of the game"

"We are batting and bowling well and if we can improve our fielding then we can also save 10-15 runs which can be crucial"

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Moin Khan quotes after Quetta Gladiators loss to Peshawar Zalmi:

No doubt our batting is performing and taking responsibility to put up big totals but there is a little issue with our bowling. The bowlers are struggling to grip the ball, they are trying their best and we are giving them plans but unfortunately it didn’t work.

The way Haider Ali batted changed the match. But if we had taken his catch and then Zahid dropped him too and then we missed 2 run outs. Fielding plays a huge part in such games especially when you are defending a total and given the dew and that no team has won bowling second. It’s difficult for the bowlers due to the dew to execute their plans.

Sarfaraz has been a tremendous professional and he has performed whenever the team has needed him to, whether that’s for Quetta Gladiators or for Pakistan. There is no doubt about his abilities and he plays proper shots rather than slogs. He’s an improviser and I’m satisfied with his performance and I hope that he continues like this. He has in his mind to come back to the Pakistan side whereas the competitor Rizwan is going through a very good phase. Sarfaraz is competing hard to come back for Pakistan and there is a healthy competition going on which is enjoyable.

We are trying our best in every match. There is no complaint, but in these circumstances where the ball gets wet there are difficulties and you have to use your variations rather than over-pitch the ball or bowl in the batsmen’s hitting zones. But as a coach I will lift my bowlers, they are trying their best, trying hard, but unfortunately because of the circumstances they are not sticking to the plans we have given them.

The crowd presence is important for the players. My advice to the crowd is to obey the SOP. The fans are starved of cricket where all the teams are fighting for their victories and I urge the fans to follow the rules when they are attending matches.