Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 85
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,594
    Mentioned
    2804 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    Afridi politicised the toss: Gambhir recalls ex-Pakistan skipper's controversial remark during 2011

    Gautam Gambhir and Shahid Afridi have remained at loggerheads ever since the former Indian opener squared off with the ex-Pakistan skipper on the cricket field during a high-voltage clash between arch-rivals India and Pakistan in 2007. Gambhir, who has a long history of run-ins with the outspoken Pakistani all-rounder recalled how Afridi once opted to politicise the gentlemen's game during the 2011 World Cup hosted by India, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh.

    Gambhir was talking about the idea of resumption of cricket between two-arch rivals on the international arena when the former Indian opener and two-time World Cup winner gave Afridi an honourable mention. Gambhir spoke at length about Afridi's bizarre remark which courted fresh controversy during the 2011 edition of ICC World Cup. Team India led by legendary skipper MS Dhoni had famously outclassed bitter-rivals Pakistan in the semi-final stage of the quadrennial event at the time.

    "Afridi's statement during the 2011 semi-final match that he wanted to win the toss for Kashmiris (actually we won that semi-final). It was a ridiculous statement. We don't talk about Pakistan's issues, so why should talk about our issues? They can deal with their problems and we can handle our own issues," Gambhir told news agency IANS in an interview.

    The Indian opener was a star turnout for the Dhoni-led side in the 2011 World Cup. Gambhir opined that Afridi 'politicised' the match toss at the time. The Indian opener had dedicated India's win in the 2011 World Cup to the people who lost their lives in the 26/11 terror attack.

    "But Afridi politicised the toss. No one appreciated that. So when we won the game I said that I wanted to dedicate it to the victims of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks. My stand remains. I say things which I believe. I don't say things to make headlines. That is not something excites me," Gambhir added.

    The former cricketer and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader also opined that there is no need for India to resume its cricketing ties with Pakistan till there's terrorism in Kashmir. "I would have taken this stand with or without being in politics. I have always held similar views," Gambhir said.

    https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...2011-wc/724158


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    397
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Afridi say anything the toss in that 2011 semifinal

    Dont recollect anything !

  3. #3
    Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    4,805
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can Gambhir get over Afridi? Hes always talking about Afridi ALL the time. For god sake, does he have a crush on Afridi or something?

  4. #4
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    14,246
    Mentioned
    961 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Na that was good by AFridi, he wanted to agitate the Indians, and he achieved that.

    I did not like Afridi as a player or captain, but enjoyed what he did at the toss. It was a game with the rivals, and that was a good way to get under the skin of the oposition.

    This statement by Gambhir shows that Afridi had an effect on them


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  5. #5
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Pan ka Khoka
    Runs
    10,575
    Mentioned
    799 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Gautam Gambhir and Shahid Afridi have remained at loggerheads ever since the former Indian opener squared off with the ex-Pakistan skipper on the cricket field during a high-voltage clash between arch-rivals India and Pakistan in 2007. Gambhir, who has a long history of run-ins with the outspoken Pakistani all-rounder recalled how Afridi once opted to politicise the gentlemen's game during the 2011 World Cup hosted by India, Sri Lanka, and Bangladesh.

    Gambhir was talking about the idea of resumption of cricket between two-arch rivals on the international arena when the former Indian opener and two-time World Cup winner gave Afridi an honourable mention. Gambhir spoke at length about Afridi's bizarre remark which courted fresh controversy during the 2011 edition of ICC World Cup. Team India led by legendary skipper MS Dhoni had famously outclassed bitter-rivals Pakistan in the semi-final stage of the quadrennial event at the time.

    "Afridi's statement during the 2011 semi-final match that he wanted to win the toss for Kashmiris (actually we won that semi-final). It was a ridiculous statement. We don't talk about Pakistan's issues, so why should talk about our issues? They can deal with their problems and we can handle our own issues," Gambhir told news agency IANS in an interview.

    The Indian opener was a star turnout for the Dhoni-led side in the 2011 World Cup. Gambhir opined that Afridi 'politicised' the match toss at the time. The Indian opener had dedicated India's win in the 2011 World Cup to the people who lost their lives in the 26/11 terror attack.

    "But Afridi politicised the toss. No one appreciated that. So when we won the game I said that I wanted to dedicate it to the victims of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks. My stand remains. I say things which I believe. I don't say things to make headlines. That is not something excites me," Gambhir added.

    The former cricketer and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader also opined that there is no need for India to resume its cricketing ties with Pakistan till there's terrorism in Kashmir. "I would have taken this stand with or without being in politics. I have always held similar views," Gambhir said.

    https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...2011-wc/724158
    That 2007 confrontation really scarred Gambhir I guess. The guy can't seem to not speak about Afridi on any given opportunity.

    Begs to question, what exactly did Afridi sledge him with that he can't let it go even after 14 odd years.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    2,374
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gambhir has a few loose screws, honestly just get over it mate. You won the wc in 2011 congrats nobody can take that away from you. Stop coming out with nonsense.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    34,942
    Mentioned
    1859 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Na that was good by AFridi, he wanted to agitate the Indians, and he achieved that.

    I did not like Afridi as a player or captain, but enjoyed what he did at the toss. It was a game with the rivals, and that was a good way to get under the skin of the oposition.

    This statement by Gambhir shows that Afridi had an effect on them
    Pakistan Lost. Thats the effect.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,652
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Gambhir is so obsessed with Afridi. Afridi should give Gambhir a 'jaadu ki jhappi and 1 pappi' to calm him down.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,510
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Haha this guy is obsessed with afridi. May even have a mancrush on him.
    Not seen a more insecure person lol. I wonder what afridi said to him during their fight.
    Last edited by ethan hunt; 24th February 2021 at 14:48.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,652
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan hunt View Post
    Haha this guy is obsessed with afridi. May even have a mancrush on him.
    Not seen a more insecure person lol. I wonder what afridi said to him during their fight.
    May be Gambhir's ex was a huge Afridi fan?

  11. #11
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    1,256
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is such a venomous person.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    2,473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lala living in Gambhir's mind rent free.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    397
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Na that was good by AFridi, he wanted to agitate the Indians, and he achieved that.

    I did not like Afridi as a player or captain, but enjoyed what he did at the toss. It was a game with the rivals, and that was a good way to get under the skin of the oposition.

    This statement by Gambhir shows that Afridi had an effect on them
    5 drop catches, Umar Gul bowling trash , Loose shots by Pakistan top order batsmen after getting starts

    Wonder which team was more agitated

  14. #14
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    731
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gambhir is actually fine even though he comes very blunt. It's Afridi and some of his peers who made nonsensical statements on communal/racial lines for years. I don't think Afridi or Sohail Tanvir are bad guys, they are pretty harmless just that the environment that they have come from has influenced their comments. Needless to say that in each such discussion whether it is Tanveer or Afridi, it's the host that prompts for such comments.

    Gambhir is actually disliked because he just showed them the mirror. The same reason why Ganguly was not liked during his playing days as he used to talk to Australians and English in the language they understood.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,513
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When Gambhir first dedicated the win to the Mumbai victims after the semifinal, I thought it was in poor taste as sports and politics should not be mixed in my opinion. But if Afridi had indeed made that comment on the toss of the 2011 semifinal, then don't think there was nothing wrong with what Gambhir did.

    You either mix politics with cricket or you don't. Can't have one rule for one and a different rule for the other.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,366
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    When Gambhir first dedicated the win to the Mumbai victims after the semifinal, I thought it was in poor taste as sports and politics should not be mixed in my opinion. But if Afridi had indeed made that comment on the toss of the 2011 semifinal, then don't think there was nothing wrong with what Gambhir did.

    You either mix politics with cricket or you don't. Can't have one rule for one and a different rule for the other.
    I make it easy for you! you dont mix politics with cricket but guess which country / board mixed politics with cricket first and got this all started in cricket?

  17. #17
    Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    1,211
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't like Gambhir, but what Afridi said was pretty cringe (if true). If it was the other way around, we wouldn't be celebrating what Gambhir said, let's have some consistency.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    1,722
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean this with no disrespect, but some people hold onto grudges more than their careers.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    397
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    When Gambhir first dedicated the win to the Mumbai victims after the semifinal, I thought it was in poor taste as sports and politics should not be mixed in my opinion. But if Afridi had indeed made that comment on the toss of the 2011 semifinal, then don't think there was nothing wrong with what Gambhir did.

    You either mix politics with cricket or you don't. Can't have one rule for one and a different rule for the other.
    + 1

    Remember after 2011 loss Afridi said muslims have big hearts while hindus dont

    If Gambhir said something like that Pakistan fans wud scream Islamophobia

    I hope fans are consistent with both sides - instead of defending their own side. Gambhir is bad ( hate him bcoz he is BJP now ) but Afridi is no better. Frequently makes statements which can be offensive to Indians / Hindus . Remember when he gleefully announced how he smashed his tv bcoz his daughter was watching tv series showing some Hindu rituals . In a country where minorities have it tough , such statements are totally unwarranted

  20. #20
    Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gautam gambhir ... an average cricketer and as seen by his continued nonsense statements a below average person... best to ignore what he says and allow him to fade into obscurity


  21. #21
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,513
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    I make it easy for you! you dont mix politics with cricket but guess which country / board mixed politics with cricket first and got this all started in cricket?
    Since the Indians are petty, perhaps Afridi should have refrained from it setting an example for the Indians.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    28,403
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubs View Post
    Don't like Gambhir, but what Afridi said was pretty cringe (if true). If it was the other way around, we wouldn't be celebrating what Gambhir said, let's have some consistency.
    Would you say the same if some player would have said a similar thing about black people while playing against SA during apartheid days?

  23. #23
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,513
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    Would you say the same if some player would have said a similar thing about black people while playing against SA during apartheid days?
    As far as I'm concerned, I have no problem with Afridi supporting the Kashmiri cause or highlighting the human rights concerns against the Indian state on twitter. But doing so on the cricket field insinuates as if the Indian cricketers are the perpetrators.

    I had the same problem with Gambhir dedicating the win to the Mumbai attack victims after defeating the Pakistani cricket team as if the Pakistani cricketers were guilty of the attack.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    21,087
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ghambir’s post cricket career has also revolved around Afridi by the looks of it. Whenever he thinks he needs to come into limelight the name Afridi comes to rescue. Ghambir has played against number of other teams and players as well but, at the end it always come down to Afridi as maybe it helps in putting up a certain narrative or image which players of other countries he has played against cant help him do.

    I think bringing up this talk (Whether true or not) is just to endorse his patriotism which he believes saying without the support of the name Afridi might not come across as forcefully.
    Last edited by Titan24; 24th February 2021 at 17:25.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,296
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeedsGreen View Post
    gautam gambhir ... an average cricketer and as seen by his continued nonsense statements a below average person... best to ignore what he says and allow him to fade into obscurity
    Lol average cricketer? He achieved which none of Pakistan batsman can .2 match winning innings in world Cup final

  26. #26
    Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    1,211
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    Would you say the same if some player would have said a similar thing about black people while playing against SA during apartheid days?
    As someone said, it was obviously only said because he was against India. That is the issue here, it's pretty divisive between the 2 nations. SA would be an internal affair, so it's a bit different. I would also 100% support an Indian player asking for unity in their country because of the current state of affairs for minorities, and the same for Pakistan. That being said, I think politics should stay away from the game as much as possible.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    4,863
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NishanKonar View Post
    5 drop catches, Umar Gul bowling trash , Loose shots by Pakistan top order batsmen after getting starts

    Wonder which team was more agitated
    You forgot the icing: delay in DRS Vintage India.


    Anyways, GG is a politician now, an Indian politician representative BJP/RSS. This sums up the man and his opinion.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    3,366
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    Since the Indians are petty, perhaps Afridi should have refrained from it setting an example for the Indians.
    Afridi was wrong I am against any form of political interference or references in sport. I hate it because I follow sport regardless of I like the countries political stand or not

  29. #29
    Debut
    Nov 2008
    Runs
    11,185
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another dude with the Bonaparte complex..

  30. #30
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    14,246
    Mentioned
    961 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Pakistan Lost. Thats the effect.
    yet even after winning Gambhir is stilling crying about it


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  31. #31
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    14,246
    Mentioned
    961 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NishanKonar View Post
    5 drop catches, Umar Gul bowling trash , Loose shots by Pakistan top order batsmen after getting starts

    Wonder which team was more agitated
    well one team is still talking about it


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  32. #32
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    397
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=WhenSultansBowled;11106918]You forgot the icing: delay in DRS Vintage India.

    Yes after dropping 5 catches, Hafeez plays scoop shots , Afridi getting out to full toss & Misbah playing test cricket - all u can do is blame DRS. Vintage Pakistan

    Returning to Gambhir - he is bad bcoz he is BJP / RSS but I hope Afridi fans realize how obnoxious he can be. Thats all. If u attack Gambhir & then defend Afridi's offensive statements , u r just being hypocritical

  33. #33
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    397
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyways dont want to get into politics part bcoz it will be become partisan

    Indians ( especially Modi fans ) will see nothing wrong in Gambhir & Pakistanis wont see anything wrong in Afridi. So better leave it here

  34. #34
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    21,718
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Gambhir : Afridi :: Sarfraz :: Hafeez


    Have some Sehwag in your life.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    93,014
    Mentioned
    7281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    You can always trust a Pakistani player, and especially Afridi, to do something completely stupid like this.

    First it was Malik with his embarrassing shocker after the WT20 2007 final and now it is the king of bongiyaan himself.

    A worthy response by Gambhir.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    224
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afridi literally treats this fascist muppet like the clown he is and never answers any questions about him seriously. But this guy is so obsessed that it’s actually creepy.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    6,461
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NishanKonar View Post
    + 1

    Remember after 2011 loss Afridi said muslims have big hearts while hindus dont

    If Gambhir said something like that Pakistan fans wud scream Islamophobia

    I hope fans are consistent with both sides - instead of defending their own side. Gambhir is bad ( hate him bcoz he is BJP now ) but Afridi is no better. Frequently makes statements which can be offensive to Indians / Hindus . Remember when he gleefully announced how he smashed his tv bcoz his daughter was watching tv series showing some Hindu rituals . In a country where minorities have it tough , such statements are totally unwarranted
    He actually didn't say anything about Hindus.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    28,986
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    When Gambhir first dedicated the win to the Mumbai victims after the semifinal, I thought it was in poor taste as sports and politics should not be mixed in my opinion. But if Afridi had indeed made that comment on the toss of the 2011 semifinal, then don't think there was nothing wrong with what Gambhir did.

    You either mix politics with cricket or you don't. Can't have one rule for one and a different rule for the other.
    I don’t think Afridi said anything about Kashmiris in 2011. He said that in 2016 when he thanked the Kashmiris who came to watch Pakistan and were cheering the team. Gambhir seems to be mixing stories.

    On another note - I have never seen a grown adult be as obsessed with another man as Gambhir is with Afridi. Gambhir talks about Afridi unprovoked one a year every year for well over a decade now. I haven’t seen such commitment from folks about religion either. I often wonder what did Afridi really say to Gambhir in their scuffle in that fateful match in 2007 that Afridi has been living in Gambhir’s head rent free fro
    Almost 15 years now.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    28,986
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NishanKonar View Post
    + 1

    Remember after 2011 loss Afridi said muslims have big hearts while hindus dont
    He never mentions Hindus. Please stop making up lies.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    12,637
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Afridi has always played down this feud because for him it doesn’t exist.

    Gambhir out of his insecurities always tries to make something out of nothing. Has nothing going on after cricket career like Sehwag, so sitting around Twitter talking smack the both of them.

    Wishes he was fit and firing at 40 like Lala, instead, is in politics to spread further hate and animosity. Sad.

    It’s not only with Pakistanis, he’s had feuds with Kohli as well. If a child looked at him wrong on streets he’d fight that too.
    Last edited by Suleiman; 24th February 2021 at 19:36.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    28,986
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Line and Length View Post
    Afridi literally treats this fascist muppet like the clown he is and never answers any questions about him seriously. But this guy is so obsessed that it’s actually creepy.
    Never seen a grown adult be as obsessed about another man as Gambhir is obsessed with Afridi

  42. #42
    Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    549
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NishanKonar View Post
    + 1

    Remember after 2011 loss Afridi said muslims have big hearts while hindus dont

    If Gambhir said something like that Pakistan fans wud scream Islamophobia

    I hope fans are consistent with both sides - instead of defending their own side. Gambhir is bad ( hate him bcoz he is BJP now ) but Afridi is no better. Frequently makes statements which can be offensive to Indians / Hindus . Remember when he gleefully announced how he smashed his tv bcoz his daughter was watching tv series showing some Hindu rituals . In a country where minorities have it tough , such statements are totally unwarranted
    Can you showed Proof where he mentioned hindus. Instead of lying on here.
    Its people like you who do this hindu and Muslim thing and hate. Don't lie and spill nonsense here

  43. #43
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    28,403
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, I have no problem with Afridi supporting the Kashmiri cause or highlighting the human rights concerns against the Indian state on twitter. But doing so on the cricket field insinuates as if the Indian cricketers are the perpetrators.

    I had the same problem with Gambhir dedicating the win to the Mumbai attack victims after defeating the Pakistani cricket team as if the Pakistani cricketers were guilty of the attack.
    Thats not how it works. The two examples which you are quoting are apples and oranges.

    One is a country (India) officially engaged in war crimes and colonization of another people (the Kashmiris). Team India will be seen as a representative of the same nation.

    While terrorism is not the state policy of Pakistan. Terrorists are rogue elements which have nothing to Pakistani government.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    28,403
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubs View Post
    As someone said, it was obviously only said because he was against India. That is the issue here, it's pretty divisive between the 2 nations. SA would be an internal affair, so it's a bit different. I would also 100% support an Indian player asking for unity in their country because of the current state of affairs for minorities, and the same for Pakistan. That being said, I think politics should stay away from the game as much as possible.
    Sorry, i am not trying to come across as rude but i didnt understand a word you wrote.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,513
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    Thats not how it works. The two examples which you are quoting are apples and oranges.

    One is a country (India) officially engaged in war crimes and colonization of another people (the Kashmiris). Team India will be seen as a representative of the same nation.

    While terrorism is not the state policy of Pakistan. Terrorists are rogue elements which have nothing to Pakistani government.
    So you're saying it's okay for a player to bring politics into a game against a cricket team as long as the criticism is directed at the state?

    Not that it's ever going to happen, but are you saying it would be perfectly fine if say Ravi Ashwin dedicated a win to all the tamils who lost their lives in the civil war at the hands of the Sri Lankan state after defeating Sri Lanka in a big match?

    I think it's a slippery slope and what happens when one day some random Afghan player decides to express his support for the PTM and pashtuns after a match against Pakistan..

  46. #46
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    301
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gambhir will one day jump off a cliff screaming Afridi's name. Typical case of obsession.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    17,883
    Mentioned
    757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenSultansBowled View Post
    You forgot the icing: delay in DRS Vintage India.


    Anyways, GG is a politician now, an Indian politician representative BJP/RSS. This sums up the man and his opinion.
    We were playing vintage Pakistan with chuxjers and tamperers though. So we can call it even if the evil BCCI fixed the DRS.


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  48. #48
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    4,785
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NishanKonar View Post
    Anyways dont want to get into politics part bcoz it will be become partisan

    Indians ( especially Modi fans ) will see nothing wrong in Gambhir & Pakistanis wont see anything wrong in Afridi. So better leave it here
    Typical Indian thinking when someone says India they mean Hindus. Yeah, you better leave it here.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    1,678
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s strange how Gambhir doesn’t want others to politicize the game or elements of it with topics of Kashmir and all, but he doesn’t want the two nations to play together citing political differences. 🤔

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    15,953
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seems like afridi has got into the little mans head because hes all that gautam talks about


    If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

  51. #51
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    3,740
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Politicized the "gentleman's game" but it is Gambhir who ended up in politics and it is BCCI who actually time and again bring politics in cricket. You tell me now who politized the game.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    has anyone actually got a link to this supposed 2011 toss comment?

  53. #53
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    2,151
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did he just accept that he dedicated the victory to those killed in 26/11 terror just because Afridi said that at the toss?

    Poor guy! His life really does revolve around Afridi!

  54. #54
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    28,986
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeedsGreen View Post
    has anyone actually got a link to this supposed 2011 toss comment?
    There won’t be because there was no such comment. Unless Afridi thought of saying it and Gambhir used his mind reading skills from the dressing room balcony.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Did he just accept that he dedicated the victory to those killed in 26/11 terror just because Afridi said that at the toss?

    Poor guy! His life really does revolve around Afridi!
    Lol yea. Didn’t think of this angle. Never have I seen an adult man be this obsessed with another man.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    197
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's time for people to recognize that sports will always be related to politics, even a struggle to recognize something like breast cancer is related to politics, but ICC has no problem with it. It's great that Afridi can **** off a BJP guy like Gambhir and support the Kashmiri struggle for independence, although I doubt his true intentions and his own political views.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    28,403
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    So you're saying it's okay for a player to bring politics into a game against a cricket team as long as the criticism is directed at the state?

    Not that it's ever going to happen, but are you saying it would be perfectly fine if say Ravi Ashwin dedicated a win to all the tamils who lost their lives in the civil war at the hands of the Sri Lankan state after defeating Sri Lanka in a big match?

    I think it's a slippery slope and what happens when one day some random Afghan player decides to express his support for the PTM and pashtuns after a match against Pakistan..
    Your analogies do not paint a clear picture. The civil war in SL is not going on today. If it was going on today, it would be a different discussion.
    It is not a slippery slope if something is backed by the United nations which means that much like Apartheid, it is a globally acknowledged issue and not a localised protest like PTM etc.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    549
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't remember Afridi saying this at the toss in 2011. Can someone please show proof. Or is Gambhir just lying as usual with his BJP agenda against Pakistan.
    Gambhir just can't get over Afridi. Only way he can get into limelight by using Afridis name and lying..

  58. #58
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,513
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    Your analogies do not paint a clear picture. The civil war in SL is not going on today. If it was going on today, it would be a different discussion.
    It is not a slippery slope if something is backed by the United nations which means that much like Apartheid, it is a globally acknowledged issue and not a localised protest like PTM etc.
    The civil war isn't going on today because it has been quashed and in a quite brutal fashion towards the end, doesn't mean the discontent isn't there. And you can always dedicate a victory to the lives lost in the past and there's no hard and fast rule that you have to have an ongoing situation for you to dedicate something to it.

    Same like there's no rule that you have to dedicate something only if the United Nations recognises it. There's numerous regions around the world that are occupied against the will of the people living in it by a bigger country and the UN doesn't recognise every one of it. The struggle of people in Xinjiang or Tibet in China or West Papua in Indonesia is no less just because it's not recognised by the UN, which in itself is more of a namesake organisation.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    549
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NishanKonar View Post
    + 1

    Remember after 2011 loss Afridi said muslims have big hearts while hindus dont

    If Gambhir said something like that Pakistan fans wud scream Islamophobia

    I hope fans are consistent with both sides - instead of defending their own side. Gambhir is bad ( hate him bcoz he is BJP now ) but Afridi is no better. Frequently makes statements which can be offensive to Indians / Hindus . Remember when he gleefully announced how he smashed his tv bcoz his daughter was watching tv series showing some Hindu rituals . In a country where minorities have it tough , such statements are totally unwarranted
    Have asked you previously show proof of this lie.

    Don't understand how on this forum comments like this are allowed when someone is clearly lying about someone and when asked to prove it they can't. But we all know this claim is a big lie. And just stirring a Hindu/Muslim angle when nothing like that Afridi said.
    Last edited by MenInG; 25th February 2021 at 13:12.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    93,014
    Mentioned
    7281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedzee View Post
    Politicized the "gentleman's game" but it is Gambhir who ended up in politics and it is BCCI who actually time and again bring politics in cricket. You tell me now who politized the game.
    That is a weird thing to say. Becoming a politician after retiring from cricket does not mean you are “politicizing the game”. If that is the case then no one politicized the game more than Imran. He milked his cricket success like no one else.

    As far as boards are concerned, PCB used to play a lot of politics back in the day when they had leverage.

    Now that they have been reduced to nobodies with no power and influence, they act innocent and whine about BCCI playing politics.

    In fact, PCB played politics as recently as 2009 when it blocked the players from participating in IPL 2, after India claimed that Pakistan was behind the Mumbai attacks.

    Pakistan’s lame excuse that traveling to India would be unsafe turned out to be irrelevant because the tournament was shifted to South Africa anyway.

    PCB thought they would sabotage IPL by blocking Pakistani players, but that assertion backfired in spectacular fashion because the IPL became a bigger brand than Pakistan cricket without the contribution of any Pakistani cricket, which added salt to our wounds.

    Pakistani fans and PCB have no right to complain about BCCI playing politics. We need to look at our own history instead of playing ignorant and feigning innocence.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    549
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NishanKonar View Post
    Anyways dont want to get into politics part bcoz it will be become partisan

    Indians ( especially Modi fans ) will see nothing wrong in Gambhir & Pakistanis wont see anything wrong in Afridi. So better leave it here
    When did Afridi say anything about Hindu/Muslims which you claimed. Prove it instead of lying.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    301
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Gambhir never got over the confrontation with Afridi in which Afridi just belittled him on the pitch. Gambhir had fights with Kohli on field as well. He comes across as a sore man who achieved little in his career.

  63. #63
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    963
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India mixes politics with sports...just live every other nation.
    On the topic, GG was known for hunting "loose" deliveries and get out rather than shouldering arms and staying put.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    81,939
    Mentioned
    2158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Seems that Gambhir just can't let go of Afridi and what he has said and done.

    By now, one would think that he would have got over it, but obviously not.



  65. #65
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Runs
    260
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't like Afridi for being drama queen throughout his career but still, he is way better than how Gambhir.

  66. #66
    Debut
    May 2019
    Venue
    The 6ix
    Runs
    2,484
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    You can always trust a Pakistani player, and especially Afridi, to do something completely stupid like this.

    First it was Malik with his embarrassing shocker after the WT20 2007 final and now it is the king of bongiyaan himself.

    A worthy response by Gambhir.
    “Worthy response” who is that midget gambhir a Pathan like afridi would crush him with his one hand. On or off the field gmabhir could never have the fame afridi has in the entire world. Neither can he match his persona from any angle. Gambhir is just a mental and physical midget still obsessed and jealous of afridi because he’s always gonna be more famous even though gambhir has a seat in assembly.

  67. #67
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    951
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean&Green View Post
    “Worthy response” who is that midget gambhir a Pathan like afridi would crush him with his one hand. On or off the field gmabhir could never have the fame afridi has in the entire world. Neither can he match his persona from any angle. Gambhir is just a mental and physical midget still obsessed and jealous of afridi because he’s always gonna be more famous even though gambhir has a seat in assembly.
    Lol what fame 0(1) .He should start acting in Pakistani movie

  68. #68
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    12,637
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dravidthewall View Post
    Lol what fame 0(1) .He should start acting in Pakistani movie
    Plenty of 0(1)’s but also plenty of thrashings he’s gifted to India as well. Big heart and all

  69. #69
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    951
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Plenty of 0(1)’s but also plenty of thrashings he’s gifted to India as well. Big heart and all
    Like shewag did in multan

  70. #70
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    12,637
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dravidthewall View Post
    Like shewag did in multan
    LOL even Pakistanis wouldn’t compare Afridi with Sehwag, but thank you for holding him to such a high standard.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    951
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    LOL even Pakistanis wouldn’t compare Afridi with Sehwag, but thank you for holding him to such a high standard.
    Anything that makes you feel good...

  72. #72
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    2,809
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedwaqas92 View Post
    That 2007 confrontation really scarred Gambhir I guess. The guy can't seem to not speak about Afridi on any given opportunity.

    Begs to question, what exactly did Afridi sledge him with that he can't let it go even after 14 odd years.
    If you are referring to that ODI in which they collided then Afridi sledge him big time in Pashto and said something which just cannot be translated/repeated and then obviously Gambhir responded. Well Afridi started it then and it was his fault primarily

  73. #73
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    93,014
    Mentioned
    7281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean&Green View Post
    “Worthy response” who is that midget gambhir a Pathan like afridi would crush him with his one hand. On or off the field gmabhir could never have the fame afridi has in the entire world. Neither can he match his persona from any angle. Gambhir is just a mental and physical midget still obsessed and jealous of afridi because he’s always gonna be more famous even though gambhir has a seat in assembly.
    Crush him with one hand? This is not UFC. There are million people in the world who will crush Afridi with one hand as well. So what?

    Afridi, better looking? Sure, but they are not competing in a modeling contest.

    Why would Gambhir be jealous of Afridi?

    1. Gambhir belongs to a superior country with a more powerful passport.

    2. Gambhir played for a bigger cricket team.

    3. Gambhir is far richer than Afridi because he played IPL for about 10 years while Afridi missed out on the riches after just 1 year because of PCB’s delusions and arrogance.

    4. Gambhir has won two World Cups and produced great performances in both finals. One of those finals involved Afridi who bottled under pressure.

    Afridi won only won World Cup and performed in only final, but the World Cup is much bigger than the WT20.

    5. If Gambhir was Pakistani, he would have had a much longer career and would have been recognized as the greatest Pakistani opener ever, but if Afridi was Indian, he would be chucked out after 2-3 years.

    A serious and professional team would not tolerate his irresponsible batting and he would have been surplus to requirements after the emergence of the likes of Dhoni and Yuvraj who were a million times better than him.

    Also as a bowler, he would not picked ahead of Kumble in any format, and by the time Kumble retired, Afridi would have been a forgotten man.

    So there is no reason for Gambhir to envy Afridi’s “sasti shohrat”.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    4,047
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol.

    Two time world cup winner (top scorer in both finals) and a former no.1 Test batsman in the world would be envious of a 0(1).


    But yeah on topic.... I agree. Gambhir needs to stop constantly bringing up Pakistan and Afridi to stay relevant. It's getting lamer and lamer...

  75. #75
    Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    549
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Crush him with one hand? This is not UFC. There are million people in the world who will crush Afridi with one hand as well. So what?

    Afridi, better looking? Sure, but they are not competing in a modeling contest.

    Why would Gambhir be jealous of Afridi?

    1. Gambhir belongs to a superior country with a more powerful passport.

    2. Gambhir played for a bigger cricket team.

    3. Gambhir is far richer than Afridi because he played IPL for about 10 years while Afridi missed out on the riches after just 1 year because of PCB’s delusions and arrogance.

    4. Gambhir has won two World Cups and produced great performances in both finals. One of those finals involved Afridi who bottled under pressure.

    Afridi won only won World Cup and performed in only final, but the World Cup is much bigger than the WT20.

    5. If Gambhir was Pakistani, he would have had a much longer career and would have been recognized as the greatest Pakistani opener ever, but if Afridi was Indian, he would be chucked out after 2-3 years.

    A serious and professional team would not tolerate his irresponsible batting and he would have been surplus to requirements after the emergence of the likes of Dhoni and Yuvraj who were a million times better than him.

    Also as a bowler, he would not picked ahead of Kumble in any format, and by the time Kumble retired, Afridi would have been a forgotten man.

    So there is no reason for Gambhir to envy Afridi’s “sasti shohrat”.
    Keep crying. Whole world knows who's more famous and more known.

    And as usual your lie that Afridi only performed in the final of the T20 World Cup win. He also won the game in the Semi Final.
    Best player in the previous T20 world cup too.
    I know you hate him like most Indians as he has given thrashing many times to India.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    28,986
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Crush him with one hand? This is not UFC. There are million people in the world who will crush Afridi with one hand as well. So what?

    Afridi, better looking? Sure, but they are not competing in a modeling contest.

    Why would Gambhir be jealous of Afridi?

    1. Gambhir belongs to a superior country with a more powerful passport.

    2. Gambhir played for a bigger cricket team.

    3. Gambhir is far richer than Afridi because he played IPL for about 10 years while Afridi missed out on the riches after just 1 year because of PCB’s delusions and arrogance.

    4. Gambhir has won two World Cups and produced great performances in both finals. One of those finals involved Afridi who bottled under pressure.

    Afridi won only won World Cup and performed in only final, but the World Cup is much bigger than the WT20.

    5. If Gambhir was Pakistani, he would have had a much longer career and would have been recognized as the greatest Pakistani opener ever, but if Afridi was Indian, he would be chucked out after 2-3 years.

    A serious and professional team would not tolerate his irresponsible batting and he would have been surplus to requirements after the emergence of the likes of Dhoni and Yuvraj who were a million times better than him.

    Also as a bowler, he would not picked ahead of Kumble in any format, and by the time Kumble retired, Afridi would have been a forgotten man.

    So there is no reason for Gambhir to envy Afridi’s “sasti shohrat”.
    All what you say has merit but Gambhir pours a bucket of water over all that himself through his constant obsession with Afridi and this insane itch to bring Afridi up and talk about him every six months.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    93,014
    Mentioned
    7281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhan12 View Post
    Keep crying. Whole world knows who's more famous and more known.

    And as usual your lie that Afridi only performed in the final of the T20 World Cup win. He also won the game in the Semi Final.
    Best player in the previous T20 world cup too.
    I know you hate him like most Indians as he has given thrashing many times to India.
    Never said Afridi “only” performed in the final. My point was that Afridi won only one World Cup and it was the smaller one.

    He had a chance to win the proper World Cup but he got out on a tame full toss in Mohali while Gambhir went on to play a great knock in the final.

    Giving Afridi the player of the tournament award in 2007 WT20 was a bigger joke than giving Williamson the player of the tournament award in the 2019 World Cup.

    There were far better and more impactful players than Afridi in that WT20. Heck, he wasn’t even Pakistan’s best player of the tournament. The ICC and whoever decided to give him the award in charity had lost their marbles.

    I don’t hate Afridi. I am indifferent towards him. I don’t know how Indians feel about him because you will have to ask an Indian for that, but I cannot imagine that they would resent him because of his performances vs India.

    Sure, he had some big moments against India, but they also gave Afridi plenty of misery over the course of his career including the Mohali semifinal when he went home crying in the semifinal, while Afridi went on to win the World Cup.

    Not to mention the trademark 0 (1) in the WT20 2007 final.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    93,014
    Mentioned
    7281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    All what you say has merit but Gambhir pours a bucket of water over all that himself through his constant obsession with Afridi and this insane itch to bring Afridi up and talk about him every six months.
    Gambhir has issues and it has been noted and highlighted outside his spats with Afridi as well, but it is difficult to imagine that it would be out of jealousy because there is nothing to be jealous of.

    He probably hates Afridi, for whatever the reason(s). He hasn’t moved on from that altercation in 2007.

  79. #79
    Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    42,335
    Mentioned
    574 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Man, this guy is such a loser.

    He needs to grow up already.



    May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    7,957
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gambhir seriously needs to move on from Afridi, is beyond childish now.

    Has Afridi replied to Gambhir's latest jibes as yet? If not, kudos to him for not escalating it further.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •