Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who should Pakistan's T20I openers be?

There has been a lot of discussion about this with recent PSL performances, so here's a good place to debate this.

The main contenders are:

Babar Azam - He's been the stalwart T20I opener, unbelievably consistent, he got to the #1 T20I batsman in the world, Pakistan's most talented batsman. However, there are criticisms that he scores too slowly, and his power game is very weak.

Mohammad Rizwan - Has been doing the job recently with a lot of success in NZ and vs SA, and backed it with some great performances so far in PSL6. Again, he also has criticisms that he can start too slowly in the powerplay, but can certainly play the big shots.

Fakhar Zaman - Was dropped from the team after a string of bad form, but has performed very well in the NT20, PSL5 and so far in PSL6. A match-winning 82* (52) for Lahore the other day, and has the power game to exploit the powerplay and start the innings with a bang.

Sharjeel Khan - Again generally a very explosive opener and hitter, and just hit a big 105 from 59 balls for Karachi. Got the tools to hit big and put pressure back on the bowler, but perhaps consistency and fitness is a question mark.

Haider Ali - The most promising young batsman in Pakistan who, when he gets going, can strike the ball as cleanly and as far as anyone in the country. Has struggled a little thus far in his international career at the top of the order, but is only young and looks like he'll be the real deal.

Imam-ul-Haq - Mohammad Wasim may not think he is suited for the shorter format of the game but he can hold his own in T20s and give the stability needed at the top end.

Are there any other names you would throw into the hat? Kamran Akmal?

Discuss.
    Last edited by Saj; 24th February 2021 at 22:17.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rizwan + Sharjeel / Fakhar.

Both Sharjeel / Fakhar should be in the 12-15 man squad. Rizwan triggers a lot of people, too bad for them he's performing with the bat and that's all that matters.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Babar doesn't open then where can he bat? The powerplay is where he's allowed to play himself in and hit his drives through the in-field and get boundaries. Once the field goes back, he begins to struggle picking up the scoring with his weak power game.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In asia rizwan and fakhar or rizwan and sharjeel. Anywhere else babar and fakhar.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel
    Babar *
    Fakhar
    Hafeez
    Haider
    Faheem
    Rizwan +
    Imad
    Hassan
    Shadab (Hoping he'll figure out his bowling)
    Shaheen

Batting till #10

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebat View Post
    If Babar doesn't open then where can he bat? The powerplay is where he's allowed to play himself in and hit his drives through the in-field and get boundaries. Once the field goes back, he begins to struggle picking up the scoring with his weak power game.
    Did nothing in powerplay today in a fun cricket league with bowlers at a lower standard than internationals. Cost Karachi the game.

If Sharjeel/Fakhar fail early on, which they are prone to, as that aggressive brand of cricket is prone to, then Babar will still have the powerplays to take advantage of.

It's tough though. Sharjeel, Hafeez, Fakhar, Rizwan all have a claim to the top 3-4, and Babar looks the weakest.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Did nothing in powerplay today in a fun cricket league with bowlers at a lower standard than internationals. Cost Karachi the game.

If Sharjeel/Fakhar fail early on, which they are prone to, as that aggressive brand of cricket is prone to, then Babar will still have the powerplays to take advantage of.

It's tough though. Sharjeel, Hafeez, Fakhar, Rizwan all have a claim to the top 3-4, and Babar looks the weakest.
    I disagree with that. While Sharjeel couldn't put bat to ball in the powerplay and was 6 from 17, Babar hit 5 boundaries and was something like 24 from 14 in the 5th over. It was only once the middle overs began that he began to struggle and crawl. Sharjeel was unleashing and Babar was doing his job of rotating strike and let Sharjeel do his thing.

Where it went off the rails was after the 10/11/12 over mark, where he needed to accelerate and capitalise on this brilliant start, but he doesn't have it in him to do so. Ideally, he gets out here and lets a Joe Clarke or Colin Ingram come in to make use of the platform Babar set. We unfortunately did not get that today, but instead Babar trying to do what he cannot, and everyone terming this a match-costing innings.

While Sharjeel/Fakhar are going to be hit or miss in the powerplay, Babar is there consistently scoring his risk-free boundaries to keep the score going, so the other explosive batsman is not under scoreboard pressure and is free to play his innings as he likes.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My team would be

Sharjeel/Fakher
    Babar
    Rizwan
    Hafeez
    Haider Ali/Iftikhar
    Maqsood/Asif Ali
    Malik
    Imad
    Faheem
    Shaheen
    Hasan Ali

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    959 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    You have to open with both Rizwan and Babar, otherwise they will just eat up deliveries in the middle overs.

On the other hand, you also want to take advantage of the PP with someone like Zaman or Sharjeel or even both.

It's tough.

Either way, both Sharjeel and Zaman need to be in the 15, plus one of them at 3 or opening.
    Last edited by Barragan; 24th February 2021 at 23:22.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd go Haider and Rizwan, but then again I don't much understand T20 cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There has been a lot of discussion about this with recent PSL performances, so here's a good place to debate this.

The main contenders are:

Babar Azam - He's been the stalwart T20I opener, unbelievably consistent, he got to the #1 T20I batsman in the world, Pakistan's most talented batsman. However, there are criticisms that he scores too slowly, and his power game is very weak.

Mohammad Rizwan - Has been doing the job recently with a lot of success in NZ and vs SA, and backed it with some great performances so far in PSL6. Again, he also has criticisms that he can start too slowly in the powerplay, but can certainly play the big shots.

Fakhar Zaman - Was dropped from the team after a string of bad form, but has performed very well in the NT20, PSL5 and so far in PSL6. A match-winning 82* (52) for Lahore the other day, and has the power game to exploit the powerplay and start the innings with a bang.

Sharjeel Khan - Again generally a very explosive opener and hitter, and just hit a big 105 from 59 balls for Karachi. Got the tools to hit big and put pressure back on the bowler, but perhaps consistency and fitness is a question mark.

Haider Ali - The most promising young batsman in Pakistan who, when he gets going, can strike the ball as cleanly and as far as anyone in the country. Has struggled a little thus far in his international career at the top of the order, but is only young and looks like he'll be the real deal.

Imam-ul-Haq - Mohammad Wasim may not think he is suited for the shorter format of the game but he can hold his own in T20s and give the stability needed at the top end.

Are there any other names you would throw into the hat? Kamran Akmal?

Discuss.
    If Fakhar Zaman was right hand I would definitely try him as opener with Sharjeel Khan. So instead I will still pick Babar Azam as opener with Sharjeel Khan.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One thing is Sharjeel does not depend on a PP to get going so he can also be tried at #3.

Debut
    Sep 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertugrul_Bey View Post
    My team would be

Sharjeel/Fakher
    Babar
    Rizwan
    Hafeez
    Haider Ali/Iftikhar
    Maqsood/Asif Ali
    Malik
    Imad
    Faheem
    Shaheen
    Hasan Ali
    Agree with most of that except I would have Rizwan opening and Babar at 3. Others name I would consider in the playing XI would be Kamran Akmal, Azam Khan, Shadab Khan , WahabRiaz/ Amir.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel and Rizwan, with Babar at 3.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesnít matter who opens and bats for Pakistan Top 3 in any format , the end result almost 9 times out of 10 will be the same - one scores, two fail.

Sometimes I think this would happen even if Bradman, Sobers and Viv had been born in Lahore, Karachi and Rawalpindi respectively and played for Pakistan - ok thatís on the assumption these three got selected in the first place , as Hafeez would probably get selected ahead of at least one of them in Top 3 if all four batting legends were playing in same era at their prime.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imaam is not in the picture for a place in the Pakistan team.I would go babar with any of fakhar and sharjeel.Rizwan has performed exceptionaly but i stil dont want him oppening.babar is better in the powerplay

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rizwan + Sharjeel / Fakhar.

Both Sharjeel / Fakhar should be in the 12-15 man squad. Rizwan triggers a lot of people, too bad for them he's performing with the bat and that's all that matters.
    Were does babar bat then ?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Were does babar bat then ?

Hafeez 4.

Only one of Sharjeel or Fakhar play.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar and Rizwan. Yes it'd be great to a to have a hard hitting opener, but I don't think the rest are good enough to last opening. Better we just lay a platform so our hard hitting batsmen can hit with freedom without worrying about wickets.

I'd take Fakhar back but down the order now given his form.

1. Babar
    2. Rizwan
    3. Haider
    4. Hafeez
    5. Fakhar
    6. Iftikhar
    7. Imad
    8. Shadab
    9. Hasan
    10. Shaheen
    11. Hasnain

Yes Sharjeel would make the team on merit and could be our best opener, but we've got to take a stand sometime.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar will have to open, because he does not have a large enough shot selection to get boundaries in the middle overs.

He will have to exploit the powerplay more, and use his feet to create room and angles to hit boundaries. I reckon his role on the team should be to come and hit a good few runs in the powerplay, allowing our aggressive opener to settle in and cash in when the field restrictions come.

Haider for me is best utilized down at 5 or 6.

I'd try a batting order which looks like this:

Mohammad Rizwan
    Babar Azam
    Fakhar Zaman/Sharjeel Khan (Both can step in if there's an early wicket, both go berserk against spin)
    Mohammad Hafeez
    Shoaib Malik
    Haider Ali
    Faheem Ashraf

That looks pretty solid to me.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertugrul_Bey View Post
    My team would be

Sharjeel/Fakher
    Babar
    Rizwan
    Hafeez
    Haider Ali/Iftikhar
    Maqsood/Asif Ali
    Malik
    Imad
    Faheem
    Shaheen
    Hasan Ali
    Thatís a solid team aside from Ifthikhar but thatís an ideal team for outside Asia. In India we need more spinners in that team. Faheem will have to make way for Usman Qadir. And Imad I think might struggle against Asian sides in India as well.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hafeez 4.

Only one of Sharjeel or Fakhar play.
    Is rizwan a better opener than babar in the first 6 overs defonitely not.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rizwan
    Sharjeel/ fakhar

All 3 have proved they can construct big innings at a good strike rate , rizwan at the moment is consistent in his last few outings so deserves an extended run

Babar in my opinion is more of a makeshift opener, Pakistan have a few more options now so he should move down to 3, depending on how good he is this PSL Haider could also challenge at some point.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rizwan-Sharjeel as an opening pair easy. However, don't get it twisted performing against these types of bowling attacks doesn't prove much. We could've done with the likes of Curran, Nortje, Archer, Cummins, Rabada and Starc this doesn't prove much.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    My opinion would be to go for this pair

1) Sharjeel Khan/Fakhar Zaman
    2) M. Rizwan
    3) Babar Azam
    4) M. Hafeez
    5) Shoaib/Iftikhar/Danish whoever performs well (PSL and Other T20 Games)
    6) Haider Ali
    7) Imad Wasim
    8) Hasan Ali
    9) Faheem Ashraf/Shadab Khan (According to The Conditions)
    10) Usman Qadir
    11) Shaheen Shah Afridi

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    The Invincible Fort
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Rizwan
    Fakhar
    Babar
    Hafeez
    Haider
    Shadab
    Faheem
    Nawaz
    Usman
    Hasan
    Shaheen

If an extra seamer is needed, we can drop Shadab, promote Faheem and bring in Haris/Hasnain

Full credit to Micky Arthur for realizing Babar Azam was born to bat at 3 in all formats.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    The Invincible Fort
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel still has alot to prove. I think Fakhar still brings more value..much better fielder too.. He got bailed out due to a terrible over from Shadab and several lives..

Full credit to Micky Arthur for realizing Babar Azam was born to bat at 3 in all formats.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sold on Sharjeel in the powerplay, he was getting owned by Hassan with the new ball. He just bowled every ball on his pads and Sharjeel barely put bat on ball. But once the spin came on, he exploded. Since Babar can make more use of the powerplay, and Sharjeel in the middle overs, I would use this batting lineup (if Fakhar and Sharjeel can actually keep their performances up):

Fakhar
    Babar
    Sharjeel
    Hafeez
    Haider
    Rizwan

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    People need to realize how weak Fakhar was in the powerplay and how strong he is against spin. Meanwhile Babar is strong in the powerplay and bad in the middle overs. Hafeex even though he bats at 4, functions as a number 3 for LQ and even for the Pakistan team always comes in during the powerplay. This leads me to believe he is a number 3. The conclusion is simple.

1. Babar Azam (c)
    2. M Rizwan (wk)
    3. M Hafeez
    4. Fakhar Zaman
    5. Haider Ali
    6. Shadab Khan
    7. Faheem Ashraf
    8. Imad Wasim
    9. Hassan Ali
    10. Usman Qadir
    11. Shaheen Afridi

Thatís the best T20I lineup in the country right now.

Sharjeel is basically equivalent to Fakhar, the difference being Fakhar can take blinders of catches which is the tie breaker. Theyíre otherwiss both hit or miss and stronger against spin these days than against pace.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Players who can hit sixes quite easily can play on other positions as well, so Pakistan should open with Babar and Rizwan;

1.Babar
    2.Rizwan
    3.Sharjeel/ Hafeez
    4.Haider Ali

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only batsmen with an all-round game that can properly exploit the powerplay seem to be Rizwan and Babar.

Sharjeel and Fakhar seem to be unable to put bat on ball vs the new-ball fast bowlers unless it's way wide of off stump.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ifthikar is 45 years old at least, why not try Kamran instead.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The only batsmen with an all-round game that can properly exploit the powerplay seem to be Rizwan and Babar.

Sharjeel and Fakhar seem to be unable to put bat on ball vs the new-ball fast bowlers unless it's way wide of off stump.
    Definitely. I once thought that Rizwanís strike rate would be an issue, but seems confidence was all he needed to improve that as well.

Our T20I team is beginning to look 🤩

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Definitely. I once thought that Rizwan’s strike rate would be an issue, but seems confidence was all he needed to improve that as well.

Our T20I team is beginning to look ��
    Absolutely, he's looking like the perfect powerplay T20 batsman. 44 from 22 in the powerplay today.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our openers should be Babar & Rizwan. Babar is a massive liability in T20's if he is not opening the innings, he needs to open so that he can utilize power play properly.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar and Sharjeel achieved the biggest partnership in PSL history last game, and they've started very well today - 50 partnership from 25 balls.

Name:  amir1.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  179.0 KB

They seem to have quite a good dynamic

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel & Fakhar to open with Babar at 3.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look, if Rizwan keeps going like this he's definitely opening. Babar has to open because he needs as many balls as possible to be effective. So that's your opening pair.

I'm curious however, how does a Sharjeel/Fakhar fit in here? I think you play one of these lads at 3 like Gayle.

Hafeez at 4 and Haider at 5 completes your top 5. If InshAllah Pakistan can somehow get a worthy no 6, you have a pretty effective top 6. Another option would be Azam at 5 and Haider at 6, although that's too low for Haider.

Of course, there's always Umar Akmal to play at 6, if all else fails

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rizwan + Fakhar (Sharjeel as backup)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I understand what you're saying but do you want to break the team structure and best possible combination to accommodate one player?

Rizwan has effectively usurped Babar, not the other openers. Babar would still have plenty of time to play himself at 3.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel and Fakhar

Take a punt. Either one of the two comes off and they will give players like Babar, Hafeez, Haider and Rizwan to build on a good score.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Rizwan keeps playing like this, he is definitely one of the openers. He can pair up with someone like sharjeel who should be given the license to go for it from ball 1. Should a wicket fall early Babar should be the ideal batsman at 3 to provide some stability followed by hafeez and haider.

If Rizwan gets injured or loses form, he can go down the order and the places changed for haider and himself. I think this is the best we can do. Fakhar doesnít look consistent enough to be given a go again.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As great a batsman as Babar Azam is I believe he is better suited to stabilise the batting at 3 or in all formats. T20 openers need to be explosive and for that it should be Rizwan, Zaman or Haider.

As good as Imam is and as dedicated as he is in the field, he probably doesn't fit into the squad at this point in time.

As for Sharjeel, Pakistan need to cut ties with him, as India did with many of our match fixers.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    That’s the best T20I lineup in the country right now.
    I really dunno about sticking Haider at 5. There will be a time when he is needed to guide home a chase as he will be the last recognised batsman and he obviously isn't suited for that role. Fakhar probably has a little more maturity but i also wouldn't really fancy him there either. For me Haider needs to be in the top 3, and i doubt there'll be much love realistically for Fakhar doing anything but open.

Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rizwan has played a couple of innings and some people have him rated ahead of Babar azam!

Iím actually in shock. When itís all set out and done in 15 years. Babar will be the greatest Pakistani player of all time in every mode of cricket.

Rizwan will be known as a great keeper who had a great purple patch.

Babar will be remembered for eras.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Historically if Pakistan has done well in limited overs cricket and even in world competitions its due to explosive batting in last 10 overs by its lower order power hitting.

If Pakistan has to do well in upcoming T20 world cup then onus should be on lower order to come into play with platform being set to take off.

Only Babar and Rizwan combo will give us enough stability at the top to make last 8 overs of T20 count. I hope that PCB does not shy away from this combo and given Haider in 3 for some quick 30odd we have Hafeez in golden touch at 4. Pakistan should stamp this top 4 already now for upcoming tournament.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Rizwan and Babar. They are our two best batsmen, and both doing well currently.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I was worried about Rizwan/Babar at the top, but truthfully we have nobody who can score really fast in the powerplay. Fakhar and Sharjeel enjoy spin so it would be better if they play in the middle if they are selected. Rizwan has improved his power game and a score of around 48/0 after the powerplay is a decent enough base for players like Hafeez and Haider to come in and up the run rate.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a nice shootout between Fakhar and Sharjeel for one of the opening spots. Sharjeel's form will certainly put the selectors under pressure.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon this T20 WC has made everyone up their game. All these guys are giving the selectors a lot to think about, and it's the best kind of selection headache you could hope for

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    I was worried about Rizwan/Babar at the top, but truthfully we have nobody who can score really fast in the powerplay. Fakhar and Sharjeel enjoy spin so it would be better if they play in the middle if they are selected. Rizwan has improved his power game and a score of around 48/0 after the powerplay is a decent enough base for players like Hafeez and Haider to come in and up the run rate.
    I would go for the following Top 6
    for T20 World Cup:

Sharjeel
    Fakhar
    Babar Azam
    Hafeez
    Mo Rizwan
    Azam Khan

And followed by :

Shadab Khan
    Imad Wasim
    Shaheen Afridi
    Mohammed Amir / Hasan Ali
    Haris Rauf

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    It's a nice shootout between Fakhar and Sharjeel for one of the opening spots. Sharjeel's form will certainly put the selectors under pressure.
    Rizwan isn’t out of the woods in this race. Only player in Pakistan who has done enough to bat where he wants is Babar.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Rizwan doesn’t open, I would rather have Azam khan at Number 5.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Rizwan isn’t out of the woods in this race. Only player in Pakistan who has done enough to bat where he wants is Babar.
    Rizwan is in a different class to Sharjeel and Fakhar. Much wider range of strokes and the technique to deal with a higher calibre of pace bowler than those two. Sharjeel can do damage for sure, but he is always really vulnerable in the opening overs.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on whether Fakhar and Sharjeel can carry this form into International Cricket as well. Have both of them in the squad, and give them games before the WC. But right now, it's still gotta be Rizwan and Babar, cause Rizwan's not put a foot wrong so far.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    So now it’s apparent that in one way or the other, Fakhar, Sharjeel, Rizwan and Hafeez need to be in the first XI. Maybe Haider Ali and Hafeez competing for a spot.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So now it’s apparent that in one way or the other, Fakhar, Sharjeel, Rizwan and Hafeez need to be in the first XI. Maybe Haider Ali and Hafeez competing for a spot.
    Rizwan can make the team only as an opener otherwise I will select Azam Khan as late middle order hitter.
    1. Babar
    2. Sharjeel / Fakhar
    3. Fakhar / Sharjeel
    4. Hafeez
    5. Haider
    6. Azam Khan

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever the lineup, it can only be good for Pakistan that Sharjeel, Fakhar, Rizwan, Haider are finding their form. Add to that the best batsmen in the country Babar and Hafeez (who's in the form of his life) then we have a serious batting lineup for that WC

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    Rizwan can make the team only as an opener otherwise I will select Azam Khan as late middle order hitter.
    1. Babar
    2. Sharjeel / Fakhar
    3. Fakhar / Sharjeel
    4. Hafeez
    5. Haider
    6. Azam Khan
    Nope. Cannot have both Sharjeel and Azam, we will look like clowns fielding 2 unfit guys. Imagine the ground fielding. Forget about it

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel
    Babar *
    Fakhar
    Hafeez
    Rizwan +
    Haider
    Faheem
    Imad/ Nawaz
    Hassan
    Shadab
    Shaheen

Azam
    Usman/ Zahid
    Haris
    Hasnain

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fakhar looks seriously good, should try to keep going though rather than holing out near the end.

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Rizwan has been very successful of late opening but I think he is more flexible than Babar and now we have seen Rizwan can hit sixes too so why not try him as a middle order Malik type of role to see the game through till the end as we clearly canít trust Ifti or Asif Ali to do this and his a good player of spin.
    My team would be;
    1) Fakhar
    2) Sharjeel
    3) Babar
    4) Hafeez
    5) Haider
    6) Rizwan
    7) Faheem
    8) Imad
    9) Hasan
    10) Usman Qadir
    11) Shaheen

On Bench

Hasnain
    Rauf
    Azam Khan
    Zahid Mehmood
    Iftikhar
    Shadab

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    959 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barragan View Post
    You have to open with both Rizwan and Babar, otherwise they will just eat up deliveries in the middle overs.

On the other hand, you also want to take advantage of the PP with someone like Zaman or Sharjeel or even both.

It's tough.

Either way, both Sharjeel and Zaman need to be in the 15, plus one of them at 3 or opening.
    Forget about having both Sharjeel and Zaman in the 15, they both need to be in the 11.

Those two together can cause absolute chaos.

I'd go with:

1. Babar
    2. Rizwan
    3. Sharjeel
    4. Zaman
    5. Hafeez
    6. Haider

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel Khan
    Fakhar Zaman
    Haidar Ali
    Mohammad Hafeez (c)
    Shoaib Malik
    Umar Akmal
    Azam Khan (wk)
    Shadab Khan
    Hassan Ali
    Mohammad Amir
    Shaheen Afridi

Babar Azam isnít good enough for T20ís. Heís our Joe Root.

Mohammad Rizwan is good but he can only play as an opener. Fakhar and Sharjeel are ahead of him.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Misbah and co want to replace one of Babar or Rizwan I hope someone else emerges that isn’t Sharjeel or Fakhar. We have seen Fakhar be exposed enough at international level so I think it’s time to move on from him. And I don’t want that fixer to represent Pakistan again. We need to set a precedent. If your involved in fixing, you don’t represent Pakistan again. Unfortunately it seems as though the fixer will get himself back in the team due to performing in the PSL.

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel and Fakhar both are unreliable. Only one of them can be selected depending upon form. People getting impressed by loggers too much. At international level likes of Babar and Rizwan will have more success than Sharjeel and Fakhar 9.5/10 times.

1. Sharjeel/Fakhar
    2. Rizwan
    3. Babar
    4. Hafeez
    5. Haider
    6. Imad (1st spinner)
    7. Faheem
    8. Nawaz (as 3rd spinner) or Rauf/Hasnain as 4th pacer
    9. Usman Qadir (2nd spinner)
    10. Hasan Ali
    11. Shaheen

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    876 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Rizwan
    Fakhar
    Babar
    Hafeez
    Haider
    Faheem
    Nawaz
    Imad
    Wahab
    Hassan
    Shaheen

Babar and Hafeez to provide stability. The rest of them should go after the bowling from word go.
    Even Wahab and Hassan till 10 can smash a few lusty blows

Shaheen / Hassan / Wahab pace bowlers

Imad / Nawaz as spinners. Faheem can bowl a couple in between when required.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hur rizvi View Post
    Sharjeel and Fakhar both are unreliable. Only one of them can be selected depending upon form. People getting impressed by loggers too much. At international level likes of Babar and Rizwan will have more success than Sharjeel and Fakhar 9.5/10 times.

1. Sharjeel/Fakhar
    2. Rizwan
    3. Babar
    4. Hafeez
    5. Haider
    6. Imad (1st spinner)
    7. Faheem
    8. Nawaz (as 3rd spinner) or Rauf/Hasnain as 4th pacer
    9. Usman Qadir (2nd spinner)
    10. Hasan Ali
    11. Shaheen
    Agree with you 100 per cent, Fakhar and Sharjeel are unreliable.

But , I would still open with them in T20 because the last 25-30 years history has proven that no matter which combination of three batsmen you select for the Pakistan top 3 , no matter what form of cricket, two of them are almost guaranteed to fail in 9 out of 10 innings.

Therefore you have nothing to lose , open with Sharjeel and Fakhar and pray that one of them fires - and If itís Pakistan cricketís lucky day once in a while where both Ďclickí then let the bowlers pray , as they will witness such fireworks and explosions that they will regret the day they became bowlers , lol.
    Last edited by Majid Khan; 1st March 2021 at 00:39.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the upcoming South Africa series, I'd keep both Sharjeel and Fakhar in the squad and will start the series with Sharjeel as opener along with Rizwan. If Sharjeel does not perform in the first 2 matches, then Fakhar will replace him. My starting 11 would be:

Rizwan
    Sharjeel
    Babar
    Hafeez
    Malik (I am not a Malik fan, but the Khushdils and Iftikhars and Asifs are not the answer at the moment for the middle order problems so I'll keep Malik in the team until the 2021 WT20 in India. I believe he can be that short term fix till the WT20).
    Haider
    Faheem
    Imad
    Hasan
    Qadir
    Shaheen

Hafeez/Malik can be the 6th bowling options

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majid Khan View Post
    Agree with you 100 per cent, Fakhar and Sharjeel are unreliable.

But , I would still open with them in T20 because the last 25-30 years history has proven that no matter which combination of three batsmen you select for the Pakistan top 3 , no matter what form of cricket, two of them are almost guaranteed to fail in 9 out of 10 innings.

Therefore you have nothing to lose , open with Sharjeel and Fakhar and pray that one of them fires - and If itís Pakistan cricketís lucky day once in a while where both Ďclickí then let the bowlers pray , as they will witness such fireworks and explosions that they will regret the day they became bowlers , lol.
    Babar has excellent consistency at the opening spot and Rizwan has also shown great consistency. Both of them in the top 3 gives the consistency that is needed if we want to play someone like Fakhar or Sharjeel

Debut
    Jul 2009
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketerB94 View Post
    For the upcoming South Africa series, I'd keep both Sharjeel and Fakhar in the squad and will start the series with Sharjeel as opener along with Rizwan. If Sharjeel does not perform in the first 2 matches, then Fakhar will replace him. My starting 11 would be:

Rizwan
    Sharjeel
    Babar
    Hafeez
    Malik (I am not a Malik fan, but the Khushdils and Iftikhars and Asifs are not the answer at the moment for the middle order problems so I'll keep Malik in the team until the 2021 WT20 in India. I believe he can be that short term fix till the WT20).
    Haider
    Faheem
    Imad
    Hasan
    Qadir
    Shaheen

Hafeez/Malik can be the 6th bowling options
    Instead of Malik i would rather have a potent bowling option in Nawaz who can hit a few if needed

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hur rizvi View Post
    Instead of Malik i would rather have a potent bowling option in Nawaz who can hit a few if needed
    Again, I am not a Malik fan, but he adds more value to the team than any other player when he is in form. He can take pressure, build innings and can accelerate at the end. He will be a good foil for someone like Haider, as we have seen in PSL. Moreover, he was a premier part of the T20 team when it was hovering around No.1 spot. I believe a team should be composed of 6 batsmen and 5 bowlers with some batsmen who can bowl and some bowlers who can bat. Nawaz in place of Malik will make the composition of 5 batsmen and 6 bowlers and that will cause problems in run scoring.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You need to be flexible in T20.

If Rizwan gets out early, send Babar. If Sharjeel falls early send Fakhar.

Maintains the left right combo and aggressive/ steady partnership.

Rizwan
    Sharjeel
    Babar
    Fakhar
    Hafeez
    Haider

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If both Fakhar and Sharjeel continue their sparkling form, then playing both as openers and shifting down Rizwan and Babar might not be the punt it looks like.

They'd be batting on the flat tracks of India where both could make hay and give Pak a big boost in the powerplay and beyond. This combination could give us 60+/1 after 6 ov whereas a Babar/Rizwan opening pair might get you 35/0 after 6 ov.

Yes, there is more risk of wicket going down, but getting big runs is more important imo than worrying about losing an early wicket or two.

But as it stands, my preference is Rizwan + Fakhar with Babar one down.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate that Sharjeel/Fakhar is not a reliable combination but this team isn't going to win the WC 19 out of 20 times. We don't have the personnel to go toe to toe with the big boys. Therefore i'm starting with the highest risk/reward approach.

Sharjeel
    Fakhar
    Babar
    Hafeez
    Rizwan
    Imad
    Faheem
    Nawaz
    Hasan
    Qadir
    Shaheen

If they start looking really scratchy together you can drop one and then promote Rizwan, but personally i want to go all guns blazing from the beginning.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has to be Rizwan and Sharjeel... there is no doubt about Rizwan now playing any kind of bowling and Sharjeel to take on the offensive road

Babar HAS to be no3 ... he can take over from Rizwan as the steadier of the ship and allow Sharjeel to continue hitting or allow Rizwan to take the aggressive plot and play the anchor

No doubt Haffez comes no4.. on his pure form, he is ideal no4... plays spin better then 95% of the current players in world circuit and can and has played long innings

Haider Ali... would want him to come higher up the order but once Haffez puts down his boots, then he can bat at no4 but at the min, shld be no5

Azam Khan - Hated him to begin with but he is raw power... depends how he played rest of the tournament but i would have him at no6. Spinners are dead with this guy - no6

Faheem Ashraf - improving day by day (although his shot vs Zalmi was his old poor shot but he is building up good and i would keep him there

Imad Wasim ... has to play .. he is sublime with the bat and can hit out ( i think the best hitter in Pak with ball 1)

Hassan Ali - Basher, and bowls good middle overs... seems his mojo is back.. still expensive but on dry wickets, gets the ball reversing

Usman Qadir / Zahid Mehmood - Will find difficult to pick 1 but both are good... don't know who to pick

Shaheeeen Shah "the maystro" Afridi.... just don't have words

so for me

1) Rizwan
    2) Sharjeel
    3) Babar
    4) Hafeez
    5) Haider
    6) Azam
    7) Faheem
    8) Imad
    9) Haasan
    10) Qadir
    11) SSA

12) Shoaib Malik
    13) Fakhar
    14) M Hussnain
    15) Harris Rauf

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, it's a tough one. If I had to say, and assuming Fakhar regains his form, I'd go Babar-Fakhar with Rizwan at 3. It's an ideal opening combo as you have the aggressor in Fakhar and the productive consolidator in Babar.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    seems like a straight shootout between sharjeel and fakhar

sharjeel pros: natural timer of the ball, good hitter and comfortable against pace or spin
    sharjeel cons: terrible fitness, liability in the field, likely to in his mid 30s thus liable to quick degradation in his reactions

fakhar pros: mentally stronger, has big tournament experience, better fitness and fielder
    fakhar cons: is technically full of holes and relies almost exclusively on slogs to hit sixes

if it comes down to it i think sharjeel is more likely to win you a t20 game with his batting than fakhar.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For t20 I would go with both

Sharjeel and lieutenant zaman

First 6 power play overs give them free licence they could win you the game in 6/7 , you might as well gamble im not sold on rizwan and babar as openers in t20s I think sharjeel and fakhar could be more destructive in the first 6 overs .

Sharjeel
    Lieutenant zaman
    Babar
    Rizwan
    Hafeez
    Faheem
    M nawaz
    Shadab
    Hasan ali
    Shaheen
    Qadir / rauf/ dhani / hasnain ?

Positions 3 -5 depending on match situation the batting positions are not fixed.

I'd rather back faheem , nawaz and shadab as lower order allrounders than fill those spots with chacha , asif butler , and khusdil and rather back shadab and m nawaz over the rellu katta that is imad and both are gun fielders nawaz and shadab .

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If sharjeel fitness is a concern then the other option is trying haider ali

Rizwan
    Fakhar
    Babar
    Hafeez