User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"I don't think the quality of batting was up to standards" : Virat Kohli regarding Motera pitch

Ahmedabad, Feb 25 (PTI) India captain Virat Kohli on Thursday said poor batting and not the pitch was responsible for the day-night third Test against England winding up inside two days and described the performance of batsmen on both sides as "bizarre".

Kohli insisted there were no demons in the pitch, which has been called "not ideal" by several former players like Michael Vaughan and Harbhajan Singh. Kohli said the track was absolutely fine at least in the first innings and only the odd ball was turning in the game which India won by 10 wickets on Thursday.

"To be honest, I don''t think the quality of batting was up to standards. We were 100 for 3 and bowled out for less than 150. It was just that the odd ball turning and it was a good wicket to bat in the first innings," the India skipper said in his defence of the pitch.

Kohli said batsmen of both the sides did not apply themselves enough. Only Rohit Sharma (66 and 25 not out) and from England Zak Crawley (53 in first innings) managed to bat with ease.

"It was bizarre that 21 of the 30 wickets fell to straight balls. Test cricket is about trusting your defence. Lack of application ensured it was a quick finish," Kohli said.

Left-arm spinner Axar Patel stole the limelight in only his second Test along side veteran Ravichandran Ashwin by returning with match figures of 11 for 70 to earn the player-of-the-match award as India decimated England by 10 wickets to take an unassailable 2-1 lead in the four-match series.

Off-spinner Ashwin (15-3-48-4) also became the fourth Indian bowler and second fastest in the world to complete a commendable milestone of 400 Test wickets on Thursday.

Kohli showered praise on his two spinners for their match-winning efforts.

"A bizzare game which got over in 2 days. A lot of people were relieved when Jaddu (Ravindra Jadeja) got injured. But then this guy (Axar) comes in. Bowls it quicker and from a bigger height as well. If the wicket has something in it, Axar is very lethal.

"I think we need to stand up and take notice of what Ashwin has done. In Tests, he is a modern day legend. As a captain, I am so pleased he is in my team," he said.

England skipper Joe Root was in no mood to give excuses for the heavy defeat, saying the tourists failed to capitalise on a decent start in the first innings after opting to bat.

"We were 70 for 2. But we didn''t really capitalise on it. 250 on that wicket would have made it different. We will come back using this hurt and come back as a better team," he said.

Instead of blaming the pitch, Root said it was India''s "high quality bowling" that made the difference.

"The plastic coating on the ball gathered pace of the wicket. It was high quality bowling as well. Both sides struggled on that wicket. We don''t define ourselves on a performance like this," he said.

"We shouldn''t have any baggage from the previous games going into the last game. We have seen with the ball in hand, we can pick up wickets. I think it sums up the wicket, if I am getting a fifer."

He also congratulated Ishant Sharma for playing his landmark 100 Tests and Ashwin for his 400 Test wickets.

Man-of-the-match Axar said his focus would remain on bowling wicket-to-wicket, a plan which has reaped him rich dividends so far in his nascent Test career.

"When it happens, it feels so easy, not so much when it doesn''t," he joked.

"I am not thinking much. I want to continue this form. I am happy that if I am not contributing with the bat, I am doing it with the ball.

"My strength is to bowl wicket-to-wicket and not give any room...I just want to bowl as many dot balls as possible and make life difficult for batsmen," he said.

https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscr...-kohli/2036467

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kohli blames batting. Root blames pink ball. What about the pitch?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pitch is ok.If eng batsman play sensibly after winning the toss. Pitch get better in evening as rohit and gill scored. Only themselves to blame for batting failure

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    Yes batting was very poor from both the teams.
    I think pink ball after pitching, gathered some speed than expected by the batsmen hence the ball rushed through their defenses.
    Poor pitch but i think it was 200 par wicket.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Maybe both don't think that Pitch was bad enough for the test to finish within 2 days?

I don't think it was bad enough to last only for 2 days. It was poor batting from most batsmen here. Yes, it was not a 400-500 wicket, but you could get 200-250. Not a good pitch, but batmen have become inept against spin.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Root should blame himself for batting first after winning the toss in D/N Pink test.
    Pitch also bad.

Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jiduguravindra View Post
    I think pink ball after pitching, gathered some speed than expected by the batsmen hence the ball rushed through their defenses.
    Pink ball supposedly has a more pronounced seam than the conventional red balls variety, so I guess that can definitely help with regards to spin, seam and gathering more pace of the wicket when the seam hits the pitch.
    Last edited by MenInG; 25th February 2021 at 23:30.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Kohli enjoying the moment I guess - sees nothing wrong with the pitch!

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Kohli View Post
    Root should blame himself for batting first after winning the toss in D/N Pink test.
    Pitch also bad.
    It was the correct call as the pitch deteriorated with time. A bit more application would have helped them get 150+ in the first innings and that could have put pressure on India.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    He's more than a little delusional.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost embarassing to see how Kohli trying to suggest that pitch was a good one and it's the batsmen who faulted. As if we were following the match on radio or cricinfo and didn't see it live.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Low score does not automatically mean bad pitch. You could say "less familiar" pitch. I have seen so many dust bowls over the year. This is not even in the list of top 20 worst pitches i have seen. Very rarely the ball scooted under the bat or jumped out of nowhere. They didn't even create enough bat pad catch. Yes Kohli is right. But root's assessment is closer to the truth. Because with more laquer pink ball was skidding faster after pitching compared to the regular cricket ball. You could see batsmen were finding it difficult to react to even the 85 kph balls after pitching.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That pitch was atrocious. India did so well in Australia to win, disappointing that they had to go to these desperate levels to beat England at home.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Atleast he never whines in overseas tests when green mambas are produced.. like SA produced. One of the pitch there was dangerous with variable bounce and even reported. Elgar had his fingers peppered and was looking at umpires to offer him lights, on his home ground, to chicken out.

Not once he has blamed pitches or conditions in SENA tours.
    So, he expects the same in return.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I actually agree with the skippers. This wasn't as bad a pitch as the scorecard siggests. I can recall worse pitches yielding mich better scores. This was pretty inept batting. With a bit of application, England could've put up 250 in the first innings, and that would've won it for them.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Kohli would say that If he was on the losing side im sure his amswer would be different

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of course he will defend the groundsman. He was called out rightfully by Cook and Strauss.

Garbage pitch and shouldn’t be counted toward international test record IMO (not that it will happen).

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli needs some help from a video. So here goes...

The 1st over of England's innings sums up the quality of their batting and approach

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's funny because I just looked at Kohli's performances in some of these "no demons at all" pitches.

Nagpur 2015 vs SA (Overs played in the match: 247)

22 & 16

Chandigarh 2015 vs SA (Overs played in the match: 251)

1 & 29

Pune 2017 vs Aus. (Overs played in the match: 254)

0 & 13

Ahmedabad 2021 vs Eng. (Overs played in the match: 138)

So, by his own admission.. he's also no good on home pitches that aren't complete phattas.

It looks worse now since India pulled this stunt after England mauled them in the 1st test on a flat pitch where they gave up a 200 run 1st innings lead. This Indian team is just about as horrible as the English if not more at playing spin bowling.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The first 3 balls in the above clip simply show how inept the batting was here. You can be bowled out at 30-40 runs if you play like that.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Proactive_ View Post
    This Indian team is just about as horrible as the English if not more at playing spin bowling.
    It would have been nice to see Indian spinners bowling to Indian batsmen. I don't think they would have scored many runs.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both teams had completely inept middle-lower orders of spin bowling.

England were 80/2...
    India were 100/2

But one wicket and the rest just collapsed like cards. As Gavaskar was saying in the comm box.... "It's all in the mind".

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Both teams had completely inept middle-lower orders of spin bowling.

England were 80/2...
    India were 100/2

But one wicket and the rest just collapsed like cards. As Gavaskar was saying in the comm box.... "It's all in the mind".
    What does Sunny know about batsmanship and batting on turning decks?

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    It would have been nice to see Indian spinners bowling to Indian batsmen. I don't think they would have scored many runs.
    England bats are better players of spin than our batsmen.

England lost this test simply because Ash-Axar were miles better than English spin attack.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no one is mentioning that we actually lost the toss and still won the game. Had the reverse happened, I'm sure every other thread would have been inundated with us having huge advantage of having won the toss on this pitch and hence won the game on the virtue of winning the toss.

But since England were too inept to cash in on the toss, everything is brushed under the carpet and hence this brouhaha about pitch!

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    such a great batsman but the biggest cry baby

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    India opened the bowling in England’s second innings with spin from both ends. A pitch where a fast bowler can't even be trusted with the new ball is atrocious.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    When it comes to playing on spinning tracks and excelling, not many know it better than former India captain and batting great Sunil Gavaskar. India's original 'little master' made a name for himself while facing the express quicks of West Indies, England and Australia on seaming tracks without helmets in the 1970s and 80s, but he was equally adept and comfortable while tackling quality spinners back home or in other sub-continental countries.

A case in point is his last innings in Test cricket, when he scored a gritty 96 in the second innings on a vicious turner in Bengaluru. His efforts went in vain as India lost the match and the series to Pakistan.

The former India opener has since made a name for himself as one of international cricket's leading commentators. His unbiased views and erudite assessment of the game is a permanent fixture whenever and wherever India plays and it has been the same in the series against England.

Reflecting on the performance of the batsmen during the recently concluded third Test match, which saw England losing 20 wickets within two days and losing by 10 wickets to India, Gavaskar said that the true test of a batsman lies in how he plays on a turning track.

England Skipper Joe Root during the 2nd day of the 3rd Test Match in the series between India and England at Narendra Modi Stadium, Motera in Ahmedabad.

Indias Washington Sundar and Virat Kohli celebrate the dismissal of Englands James Anderson during the 2nd day of the 3rd Test Match in the series between India and England at Narendra Modi Stadium, Motera in Ahmedabad on Thursday. (ANI Photo/BCCI Twitter)
    India lead WTC standings but still could miss the final against NZ, here's how

Indias Axar Patel and Virat Kohli celebrate the dismissal during the 2nd day of the 3rd Test Match in the series between India and England at Narendra Modi Stadium, Motera in Ahmedabad.

While commentating on host broadcaster Star Sports on the second day of the match, Gavaskar said that on pitches that aid pace and bounce there are only two ways to bat, either on the front foot or on the backfoot. But on turning tracks, batsmen need to show good footwork in order to smother the spinning ball.

He spoke at a time when India had been bowled out for 145 in their first innings and England were struggling in their second innings.

"You need to use the depth of your crease (to tackle spin). So, there comes your footwork. On fast bouncy pitches it is more a matter of your courage. These kinds of pitches, it is a test of your skill.

"Which is the reason the batsmen who can score runs on these pitches, are the real batsmen...," Gavaskar said in commentary.

Gavaskar's comments came at a time when there has been a lot of talk about the nature of the pitch in Chennai and now in Ahmedabad. Gavaskar was of the view that batsmen need to apply themselves better on such pitches.

Fellow commentator Murali Karthik said during the post-match presentation that out of the 29 wickets to fall to spin in the match, 21 of them fell to deliveries that did not turn and went in straight.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...311534018.html

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How can he say anything against pitch and ground which has PM's name?

Message has gone through to all players and home broadcast team to sell 'pitch is good' propaganda

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it comes to playing on spinning tracks and excelling, not many know it better than former India captain and batting great Sunil Gavaskar. India's original 'little master' made a name for himself while facing the express quicks of West Indies, England and Australia on seaming tracks without helmets in the 1970s and 80s, but he was equally adept and comfortable while tackling quality spinners back home or in other sub-continental countries.

A case in point is his last innings in Test cricket, when he scored a gritty 96 in the second innings on a vicious turner in Bengaluru. His efforts went in vain as India lost the match and the series to Pakistan.

The former India opener has since made a name for himself as one of international cricket's leading commentators. His unbiased views and erudite assessment of the game is a permanent fixture whenever and wherever India plays and it has been the same in the series against England.

Reflecting on the performance of the batsmen during the recently concluded third Test match, which saw England losing 20 wickets within two days and losing by 10 wickets to India, Gavaskar said that the true test of a batsman lies in how he plays on a turning track.

England Skipper Joe Root during the 2nd day of the 3rd Test Match in the series between India and England at Narendra Modi Stadium, Motera in Ahmedabad.

Indias Washington Sundar and Virat Kohli celebrate the dismissal of Englands James Anderson during the 2nd day of the 3rd Test Match in the series between India and England at Narendra Modi Stadium, Motera in Ahmedabad on Thursday. (ANI Photo/BCCI Twitter)
    India lead WTC standings but still could miss the final against NZ, here's how

Indias Axar Patel and Virat Kohli celebrate the dismissal during the 2nd day of the 3rd Test Match in the series between India and England at Narendra Modi Stadium, Motera in Ahmedabad.

While commentating on host broadcaster Star Sports on the second day of the match, Gavaskar said that on pitches that aid pace and bounce there are only two ways to bat, either on the front foot or on the backfoot. But on turning tracks, batsmen need to show good footwork in order to smother the spinning ball.

He spoke at a time when India had been bowled out for 145 in their first innings and England were struggling in their second innings.

"You need to use the depth of your crease (to tackle spin). So, there comes your footwork. On fast bouncy pitches it is more a matter of your courage. These kinds of pitches, it is a test of your skill.

"Which is the reason the batsmen who can score runs on these pitches, are the real batsmen...," Gavaskar said in commentary.

Gavaskar's comments came at a time when there has been a lot of talk about the nature of the pitch in Chennai and now in Ahmedabad. Gavaskar was of the view that batsmen need to apply themselves better on such pitches.

Fellow commentator Murali Karthik said during the post-match presentation that out of the 29 wickets to fall to spin in the match, 21 of them fell to deliveries that did not turn and went in straight.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...311534018.html
    Gavaskar himself was a great player of Fast and Spin bowling, equally.
    Playing spin requires better footwork. But it seems Spin bowling is considered an easy art by many, especially in SENA countries who don't understand the art and guile involved in it. Speed thrills people, i guess.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...ir-cook-971895

Former England captain Alastair Cook took a sly dig on Indian skipper Virat Kohli’s stance on the Motera pitch for the third Test match. The Indian captain defended the dusty Motera track and claimed batsmen were not up to the standards. During the post-match presentation, Kohli said “It was bizarre that out of 30 wickets, 21 were too straight balls. It was down to a lapse of concentration or playing for turn and beating on the inside.”

Disagreeing with Kohli’s assessment, Cook said batting was near impossible on the newly laid strip at the refurbished stadium in Ahmedabad.

“Virat Kohli’s come out and defended the wicket almost as if it’s a BCCI thing — it cannot possibly be the wicket. Yet it was so hard to bat on that. So hard,” Cook told Channel 4.

“Take the wicket out and blame the batsmen?” Cook asked, referring to Kohli’s assessment of the pitch that it’s a “very good pitch to bat on — especially in the first innings”.

The third Test match between India and England was finished in under 2 days as the hosts emerged victorious with 10 wickets.

Only two batsmen — one each from both sides — could score a half-century as 28 wickets fell to the spinners on a Motera pitch that many players felt was not ideal for a Test match. The likes of Sunil Gavaskar, however, credited the spinners rather than blaming the pitch.

Cook added, “We’ve got Virat Kohli, Joe Root, we have some great players of spin. Yes, we’ve got some people who have got to learn to play spin better, but we have got great players of spin also struggling.

“To me, it’d be great to have that game with the red ball to see the difference when the ball is skidding on. Today trying to play properly, it was nigh-on impossible.”

Cook said that the Motera pitch has spun more than any other pitch in India, however, some ball have gone straight which troubled the English batters.

“We saw a stat that says this pitch has spun more than any other pitch in India. There’s been so many other balls that have gone straight on as well. So that means when it is turning, it is turning miles.

“When you see the highlights and the ball skidding on you, we don’t see the build-up: when the exact same ball is spinning miles,” Cook said.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    Kohli needs some help from a video. So here goes...

The 1st over of England's innings sums up the quality of their batting and approach

That ball was dead straight. lol It didn't even turn. He just missed the line completely.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    That is correct. Current Indian team don't take part in domestic at all. They are as bad as visiting sides agianst spin bowling.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Current Indian side is good against pace and bounce. Not deviation and turn.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol what do people expect Kohli to say? How stupid would he look if he said " this pitch is crap".

The pitch was not that great but some of the batting was poor. India took advantage of home advantage. Pakistan fans and whoever else is complaining need to get over it .

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad remarks from Kohli. The pitch was terrible and I would the ICC would fine the board.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The pitch in the third Test between India and England in Ahmedabad became a major talking point after the day-night match ended inside two days, and it was also the major focus in India captain Virat Kohli's press conference ahead of the fourth and final game of the series, which will also be held at the same venue. Kohli hit out at the criticism of spinning pitches, saying there is "too much noise about spinning tracks".

He was also asked what must be done to ensure that Test matches don't end in two-three days, and came up with a stern response.

"Do you play the game to win it or to make sure it goes to five days and there is entertainment?" he quipped.

Kohli maintained that the skill of the batsmen should be looked at more than conditions, and said that his team never cribbed while playing in seaming tracks abroad.

"I believe there is too much noise about spinning tracks," Kohli said.

"The reason behind our success as a team is that we haven't cribbed about any surface we have played on. We have always tried to improve," he continued.

"I am sure if our media is in a space to contradict those views or present views which say that it is unfair to criticise only spin tracks, then it will be a balanced a conversation," Kohli argued.

"But the unfortunate bit is everyone plays along with that narrative and keeps making it news till the time it is relevant. And then a Test match happens, if you win on day 4 or 5, no one says anything but if it finishes in two days, everyone pounces on the same issue," he added.

"I am sure even our people never wrote about the pitch when we lost in three days in New Zealand," the skipper said.

"It has always been the case that spinning tracks are criticised but when the ball seams a lot and teams are bundled out for 40-50, no one talks about it," the India captain said.

Asked again if the Test community needed to look at the fact that surfaces generally give home teams an advantage, Kohli said "Would be lovely if you ask us this when we are on an England, Australia or New Zealand tour, not right after we have won on two spinning tracks at home."

India currently lead the series 2-1. The fourth Test at the Narendra Modi Stadium is set to begin on Thursday.

https://sports.ndtv.com/india-vs-eng...5-days-2382676