Runs
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Umar Akmal allowed to reintegrate into competitive cricket after CAS ruling

CAS imposes 12-month ban and a fine of PKR 4.25million on Umar Akmal

Karachi, 26 February 2021:

The Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) has announced its decision on the Appeals filed by PCB and Umar Akmal against the Order of the Independent Adjudicator. CAS through a consolidated Order on both Appeals has been pleased to impose on Umar Akmal a sanction of a 12-month ban and a fine of PKR4.25million on one count of breaching Article 2.4.4 of the PCB Anti-Corruption Code.

Umar Akmal, who was suspended on 20 February 2020, will now be eligible to reintegrate into competitive cricket subject to deposits of fine of PKR4,250,000 and undergoing the program of rehabilitation under the PCB Anti-Corruption Code.

CAS has also refused the request of Umar Akmal seeking return of his two mobile phones, which are in PCBs custody for some different investigation and held that under the PCB Anti-Corruption Code it has the power to do so.

On 27 April 2020, the Chairman Disciplinary Panel had found Umar Akmal guilty on two charges of separate breaches of Article 2.4.4 of the PCB Anti-Corruption Code in two unrelated incidents and handed a three-year suspension with the periods of ineligibility to run concurrently.

Umar Akmal exercised his right of appeal and on 29 July 2020, the Independent Adjudicator modified the sentence and reduced the ineligibility period to 18 months.

Against this Order, PCB and Umar Akmal both approached CAS. PCB's appeal had been filed focusing on a point of law in regard with cumulative operation of the sanctions for the two charges upheld by the Independent Adjudicator whereas Umar Akmal had sought a finding that he was not guilty for both charges.

The PCB once again urges and remind all participants to abide by their duty and promptly report any approaches to the anti-corruption offices and help themselves as well as the anti-corruption unit effort to eliminate the anathema of fixing.
    Last edited by MenInG; 26th February 2021 at 11:23.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fine of PKR 4.25million is huge.

Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    So his ban is over now. Surely the family has made good money and investments that he will be able to shore up the Rs 4.25 million

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Kohli View Post
    fine of PKR 4.25million is huge.
    Its pennies.
    And this has been my argument from beginning.
    Bans, jail terms and other punishments should be considered later. THE VERY FIRST thing that must be implement when a player is found guilty of corruption/fixing in a fair trial is that he must return ALL MONEY that has been invested in him by the board.

This includes all payroll and perks, cost of training, equipment, coaching, cost of logistics, travel, lodging and boarding etc.
    This is where it hurts them the most!

Its very simple,
    If you backstab your employer then you must return all favors - do your time and come back as a freeman who should be able to compete with the rest to get in again.
    Last edited by Colorblind Genius; 26th February 2021 at 12:11.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    When I saw the latest pic of UA, he looked like he was expecting. Ban or no Ban, I think he is a certified TTF, don't see him having anything more to give to Pakistan Cricket and Mohd Wasim himself does not like Umar Akmal or Ahmed Shahzad one bit so they can kiss their Pakistan careers goodbye

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    908 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Finally.

No matter what the casual fans say, there's not even a single so-called youngster out there who can out bat and do better than Umar Akmal.

Such is the sad state of affairs. Domestic cricket is zero quality, no international class batsman is coming through.

Only the likes of Khushdil Shah. The imposter pretending to be a hitter / finisher.

Umar Akmal is any day better than Khushdil and the likes.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Not out of the woods just yet

"CAS has also refused the request of Umar Akmal seeking return of his two mobile phones, which are in PCB’s custody for some different investigation and held that under the PCB Anti-Corruption Code it has the power to do so."

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Finally.

No matter what the casual fans say, there's not even a single so-called youngster out there who can out bat and do better than Umar Akmal.

Such is the sad state of affairs. Domestic cricket is zero quality, no international class batsman is coming through.

Only the likes of Khushdil Shah. The imposter pretending to be a hitter / finisher.

Umar Akmal is any day better than Khushdil and the likes.
    Agreed.

He performed in big tournaments and particularly against Australia. Gave us a scare in the 2011 WC SF after Shafiq and Younus had killed the momentum of the run chase.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanRyan10 View Post
    Agreed.

He performed in big tournaments and particularly against Australia. Gave us a scare in the 2011 WC SF after Shafiq and Younus had killed the momentum of the run chase.
    His one handed six in that Semi final was scary

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Addressing a press conference in Lahore, Akmal said he was ready to play again.

“I am fully ready and excited to play cricket again,” he said. “It was tough being out and sitting at home with my bread and butter taken away.

“I don’t want to comment on my national selection. It’s my job to play cricket and perform and it’s up to them (the selectors) - if they think it’s better for the country [to include me], then they will definitely give a chance.”

https://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/i...eve-1.77470900

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    959 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Excellent.

He'll be really handy in the next T20 WC.

This WC is for the likes of spin playing batsmen (who also happen to be seniors) like Hafeez, Malik, Sarfraz etc.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal speaking to reporters:

“I opted against reporting the matter to the PCB’s Anti-Corruption Unit as I was concerned the information would be leaked out and not remain confidential. I had every intention of reporting the matter. I went to meet the Board chairman to tell him the approach made to me to spot-fix in Pakistan Super League. Unfortunately, I could not meet him as he was busy and this issue happened"

“I have never been involved in such practices because to me to play for Pakistan is the biggest honor"

“Cricket is my bread and butter and I know how much loss I have suffered in the last one year away from the sport. I want to resurrect my Pakistan career and hopefully, I can do that. I have learned a lot in these last 12 months and hopefully, I can just focus on cricket now as there is a lot of cricket left in me"

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Multan Sultans could do with him instead of that Dud lower order

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Do people actually rate him
    He must be the worst cricketer of all time on and off the field

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waiting for his comeback. He alone can generate half of the notoriety for promoting the PSL.
    Dont ask me how though. I am sure you all know that.

Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do people believe hes innocent?