User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Anas Sarwar (son of Mohammad Sarwar) becomes leader of Scottish Labour party

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-56221768

Anas Sarwar has been announced as the new Scottish Labour leader.

Glasgow MSP Mr Sarwar defeated Monica Lennon, the only other candidate in the race.

The contest was triggered after Richard Leonard resigned as leader, saying it was in the best interests of the party for him to stand down.

Mr Sarwar takes charge of the party ahead of the Scottish Parliament election, which is scheduled to be held on 6 May.

Mr Sarwar, who is the first minority ethnic leader of a major political party in the UK, got 57.6% of the vote, while Ms Lennon got 42.4%.

Who is the new Scottish Labour leader Anas Sarwar?
    In his acceptance speech, he said: "I want to say directly to the people of Scotland, I know Labour has a lot of work to do to win back your trust.

"Because if we're brutally honest, you haven't had the Scottish Labour Party you deserve.

"With rising injustice, inequality and division, I'm sorry we haven't been good enough.

"And I will work day and night to change that, so we can build the country we all need."

Former leader Mr Leonard congratulated Mr Sarwar, calling for the party to get behind him.

UK Labour leader, Sir Keir Starmer, said: "Huge congratulations to Anas on his election as leader of the Scottish Labour Party.

"I look forward to working with him to secure our economy, protect our NHS and rebuild our country."

First Muslim leader
    On becoming the first minority ethnic leader of a major political party in the UK, Mr Sarwar said: "That doesn't say something about me. That says something great about Scotland and its people."

The move was welcomed by Scotland's justice secretary and SNP MSP Humza Yousaf.

The Scottish Labour leadership race was short, and largely overshadowed by the Covid crisis, but was more cordial than previous contests the party has held.

Scotland's constitutional future was one of the major features of the campaign, with both candidates repeatedly asked for their take on the issue.

While both have said they are opposed to the idea of Scottish independence, Ms Lennon said that should a pro-independence majority be elected to Holyrood in May, the party would have to accept another referendum on the issue.

Mr Sarwar, meanwhile, has urged independence-supporting parties to put the issue aside and focus on the recovery from coronavirus.

Reaction from rivals
    First Minister Nicola Sturgeon congratulated Mr Sarwar and tweeted, "he (and his dad before him) and I are long-time political opponents, but I also like and rate him. That may not always be obvious in the weeks ahead as election battle is joined, so worth saying so now."

Douglas Ross, leader of the Scottish Conservatives, also congratulated Mr Sarwar in a tweet and added: "Yesterday I said @ScotTories will not support indyref2 or work with the SNP at any stage. I hope he will now do the same."

Scottish Greens co-leader Patrick Harvie said Mr Sarwar faced a "divided party" on the issue of Scottish independence.

Scottish Liberal Democrat leader Willie Rennie said the new leader should concentrate on advancing UK federalism.

He said: "I am keen to work with Anas and his party to make reform of the UK a reality. "

Reacting to the announcement, trade unions have appealed for Labour party unity ahead of May's Holyrood elections.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hopefully Anas can keep up his promises and prove his backers right.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol is this a ceremonial title. They're finished in Scotland

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://news.sky.com/story/scottish-...snt-sf-twitter

Glasgow MSP Anas Sarwar has been elected as Scottish Labour's new leader - just 10 weeks before the Holyrood elections.

The party was forced to vote for a new leader after Richard Leonard's shock resignation in January, claiming his decision to quit was in its "best interests".

Mr Sarwar, who lost against Mr Leonard in 2017, was quick to throw his hat into the ring, followed by Central Scotland MSP Monica Lennon.

The Glasgow MSP won the vote with 57.56%, while Ms Lennon took 42.4%.

Mr Sarwar, who was an NHS dentist, is the first ethnic minority leader of a political party in the UK after his grandparents emigrated to Scotland from Pakistan.

The father of three said it was the "greatest honour of my life" to be elected leader but said he knows Labour "has a lot of work to do to win back your trust".

"Because if we're brutally honest, you haven't had the Scottish Labour Party you deserve," he said.

"With rising injustice, inequality and division, I'm sorry we haven't been good enough."

He promised to work "day and night to change that".

Mr Sarwar said it was "in my blood" to bring about change, saying that his grandfather came to Lossiemouth 75 years ago "with nothing, searching for a better future".

He said his grandfather found that and instead of returning to Pakistan, which he was meant to do, he brought his family to Scotland.

"He would never have imagined that his grandson would one day be elected to lead the Labour movement in Scotland," Mr Sarwar said.

Mr Sarwar was elected as Glasgow Central's MSP in 2010, taking over from his father, Mohammed Sarwar, who was the UK's first-ever Muslim MP and became governor of Punjab in Pakistan in 2018.

He is a committed Brownite, mentioning Gordon Brown in his acceptance speech, and has criticised both Tony Blair and Jeremy Corbyn.

Labour is in third place in the polls ahead of the Scottish Parliament election in May, firmly behind the Conservatives while the SNP is in the lead.

In the 2019 election, Labour recorded their worst result in Scotland since 1910, reducing their seats to just one.

Scotland's parliament is currently in the throes of a scandal in the wake of former first minister Alex Salmond's evidence to the parliament's inquiry into the handling of complaints against him.

Ahead of the election, Mr Sarwar will have to deal with an uptick in support for independence against the background of Brexit and the pandemic.

During his campaign, he said he was opposed to Scottish independence and urged parties supporting a split from the rest of the UK to put the issue aside and focus on the economic recovery from COVID-19.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1261 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Leading Scottish Labour is a poisoned chalice.

Has been since the death of Donald Dewar in 2000. Good luck to him though.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Privately educated, heir to a multi-million pound property and cash and carry empire empire, career politician who won a seat that his dad held before him....the labour party is a joke.