Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 188
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,297
    Mentioned
    2802 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    In IPL, cricket gets forgotten: Dale Steyn feels PSL more rewarding than Indian Premier League

    The Indian Premier League (IPL) is one of the most popular cricket tournaments in the world. With some of the best players from around the globe plying their trade in the league each year, IPL has turned out to be a huge success since its inception in 2008. While most overseas players dream of being part of the IPL, former South Africa pacer Dale Steyn explained why he feels the likes of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) or Sri Lankan Premier League are more rewarding than IPL.

    Steyn, who was part of the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) squad for IPL 2020, had made himself unavailable for selection for the 2021 edition of the league. The pacer managed to play just 3 matches in IPL 2020 where he picked up 1 wicket and scored a run. He was likely to be released by RCB but opted to entirely rule himself out of IPL 2021.

    The former South Africa pacer is currently playing for Quetta Gladiators in PSL 2021 and explained why PSL is more rewarding for him than IPL. Steyn said in IPL, money talks often make people forget about cricket which is why he decided not to play in IPL 2021.

    “I wanted some time off. I found that playing in these other leagues was slightly more rewarding as a player. I think when you go to IPL, there are such big squads and so many big names and so much emphasis on maybe the amount of money players earn and everything like that, so sometimes, somewhere down the line, cricket gets forgotten,” Steyn was quoted as saying by Cricket Pakistan.

    “When you come to like a PSL or the Sri Lankan Premier League, for that matter, there is an importance on the cricket. I have only been here for a couple of days and I have had people in and out of my room, just wanting to know about where I have played and how I went about it. Whereas, when I go to something like the IPL that gets forgotten and the main topic is how much money did you go for in this IPL? That’s just me being brutally honest. I wanted to stay away from that and really put more emphasis on playing and bringing good vibes to good cricket teams and tournaments I feel are worth it,” he added.

    https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...-league/727051


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,510
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's never too late to change.

    Good on Steyn for finally learning a bitter lesson after 10 long years in the cash rich IPL.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    7,160
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to be hard for a lot of our Indian neighbours to digest. The man has said it very clearly and brutally. And it isn't for the first time either. He has made a comment in the past about how he treats the IPL as a paid vacation - clearly, the PSL is not the same to him. You can see it from how passionate he is when he plays.

    Steyn isn't the only cricketer who feels this either. I expect a lot of Indian fans here to make lame excuses but the greatest bowler since 2000 has said what he believes.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    7,160
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    It's never too late to change.

    Good on Steyn for finally learning a bitter lesson after 10 long years in the cash rich IPL.

    It's a paid vacation for him, like he's stated. He's done it for 10 years and I reckon he's now at the age where he's made enough money in his life playing cricket around the world that he can now do what his heart desires and where he finds contentment.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    12,510
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    It's a paid vacation for him, like he's stated. He's done it for 10 years and I reckon he's now at the age where he's made enough money in his life playing cricket around the world that he can now do what his heart desires and where he finds contentment.
    There's no doubt you get more spiritual contentment playing in the PSL and SLPL than the IPL which I feel is more monopoly than cricket.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    13,392
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its very foolish to believe anything a cricketer says when it comes to franchise leagues.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,510
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    It's never too late to change.

    Good on Steyn for finally learning a bitter lesson after 10 long years in the cash rich IPL.
    Before posters jump on him.
    He has been very consistent in his views. Check his tweets from 2011 and 2014, he said the same thing while making millions.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    3,342
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL is money making machine. Same thing will happen in PSL as well. PSL if continues like this will become a lucrative league after IPL. Steyn is right what he is saying IPL is about party, glamour and luxurious life style for 2 months, cricket is the least thing ppl talk about.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    3,882
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no good outcome for Steyn in this.

    People will go after his many years in IPL, his declining form, his sensitivity to take what he dishes out and many other things.

    I am sure there are many detractors of IPL as there will be of PSL and other leagues.

    What he hopes to achieve with this is beyond me.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    880
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    played like a Lion . He has found a new den. May he ply his trade in PSL for long.
    This tweet is a nice follow-up to that hair style tweet.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    22,237
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    When the best bowler of his generation speaks, you listen

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    19,644
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    This is going to be hard for a lot of our Indian neighbours to digest. The man has said it very clearly and brutally. And it isn't for the first time either. He has made a comment in the past about how he treats the IPL as a paid vacation - clearly, the PSL is not the same to him. You can see it from how passionate he is when he plays.

    Steyn isn't the only cricketer who feels this either. I expect a lot of Indian fans here to make lame excuses but the greatest bowler since 2000 has said what he believes.
    And there are many many other cricketers who praise IPL over PSL. If you can digest a 1000 cricketers and bowlers praising IPL, we sure can digest 1 or 2 who criticize it


    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

  13. #13
    Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    5,125
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not much to say about Steyn here as he’s probably playing up the gallery a bit. However, I find the IPL v PSL questions our journos continuously ask every foreign player very cringeworthy and frankly it comes off as very desperate. I’ve been watching the odd BBL game here and there for the last 5-6 years and I don’t think I’ve ever heard a player being asked how the comp stacks up in comparison to the IPL.

    The IPL will always be a higher quality product but that does not inherently mean that the PSL is bad. But there’s no point comparing the two as our league is inferior in every possible metric (bar perhaps the strength of the local fast bowling contingent)
    Last edited by Ellipsism; 2nd March 2021 at 17:04.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    21,045
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why people are getting triggered, he is a modern day legend and has played top level cricket for around 15 years so I think he has earned a right to atleast have an opinion on how he feels about different leagues as a player. I guess fans and people in general need to be more tolerant of the views, just because someone doesnt confirm with certain pre existing views of others doesnt mean he should be spoken down upon. He is just stating the difference which “he” felt.

    Gulp it and move on.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    92,907
    Mentioned
    7266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    You don’t have to try that hard Steyn. You are washed up and look miserable, but your name alone is worthy enough for selection in these low-budget leagues for the next 5 odd years.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    3,368
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSL = SLPL >>> IPL

    Move on guys. The legend has spoken.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    4,025
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    And there are many many other cricketers who praise IPL over PSL. If you can digest a 1000 cricketers and bowlers praising IPL, we sure can digest 1 or 2 who criticize it
    We shouldn't really be surprised or offended by these comments anymore.

    Cricketers around the world are becoming extremely professional and smart now in each and every way imaginable so the frequency of these kind of statements is only going to increase in the coming years. And there's nothing wrong in maximising your earnings either, particularly when you're at the wrong end of your playing career.
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 2nd March 2021 at 17:21.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    880
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    PSL = SLPL >>> IPL

    Move on guys. The legend has spoken.
    Good for you. Small victories

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,510
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Are we just going to ignore this? Some of our Indian friends are way too defensive. Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174304.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  136.8 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174236.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  124.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174224.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  106.9 KB

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    19,644
    Mentioned
    270 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan hunt View Post
    Are we just going to ignore this? Some of our Indian friends are way too defensive. Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174304.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  136.8 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174236.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  124.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174224.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  106.9 KB
    No one is ignoring any of this. What is your point?

    P.S., he also put PSL and Sri Lankan league in the same bracket, which also people here seem to be ignoring


    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain


  21. #21
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,510
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    No one is ignoring any of this. What is your point?

    P.S., he also put PSL and Sri Lankan league in the same bracket, which also people here seem to be ignoring
    My point is pretty simple.
    Don't make dumb statements about him saying this because he is past his prime and stuff.
    His view has been consistent. Irrespective of the money he makes, so less ignorant comments please.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    1,028
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What Steyn has spoken are his own thoughts. Nothing to get offended about. It is not as if we Indians own IPL. It is also not that the Pakistani posters here own PSL. We dont earn anything out of it.

    Somebody's meat can be others poison. No matter what Steyn says, he is a legit legend of the game and that's that.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    3,688
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He offered his true thoughts, nothing to get all riled up over. Digest it as you wish and move on.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    17,845
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What Steyn is basically saying that it's hard to get going in IPL because of tough schedule and since it is a tough and highly competitive league.

    Life is easier now and at this age PSL and Sri Lanka premier league is more rewarding for him because he finds them easier.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,510
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    What Steyn is basically saying that it's hard to get going in IPL because of tough schedule and since it is a tough and highly competitive league.

    Life is easier now and at this age PSL and Sri Lanka premier league is more rewarding for him because he finds them easier.
    Lol. Ofcourse that's what he said.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    2,467
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan hunt View Post
    Are we just going to ignore this? Some of our Indian friends are way too defensive. Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174304.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  136.8 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174236.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  124.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174224.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  106.9 KB
    Thanks for this. Looks like his views have been very clear about it. If someone still has trouble understanding, what Steyn is saying in PSL cricket is the main focus and in IPL cricket is a side focus with cricketers having to spend a lot of time and energy on non cricket things.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    29,991
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    What Steyn is basically saying that it's hard to get going in IPL because of tough schedule and since it is a tough and highly competitive league.

    Life is easier now and at this age PSL and Sri Lanka premier league is more rewarding for him because he finds them easier.
    No he is saying cricket isn’t the focus in the IPL. Not hard to work that out. Try again without blue tinted glasses

  28. #28
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has any team pic in IPL??

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,369
    Mentioned
    798 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Steyn"s opinion on Cricket being forgotten in IPL sometimes.

    When a player is playing for his country there is that environment around a player which motivates him to perform , where as in IPL u r in the limelight for how much money u got sold in auction for and then how u perform in the playing 11 which will be the only reason and motivation to perform

    In any IPL squad they have a lot of top international players ready to replace (if he does not perform) even an highly sold player at an auction, so all teams are equipped well enough with top international players and a IPL team is all business and no heart.

    A non performing IPL player could easily be producing top notch performance for his country because there is that environment which motivates a player which an IPL tournament lacks.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    530
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme Pace View Post
    Thanks for this. Looks like his views have been very clear about it. If someone still has trouble understanding, what Steyn is saying in PSL cricket is the main focus and in IPL cricket is a side focus with cricketers having to spend a lot of time and energy on non cricket things.
    Franchises are not that stupid to pay crores of rupees just to play cricket, they need their investment back too in form of advertising and related stuff.When you are overpaid, you end up working more.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    1,869
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me put this in context with an analogy:

    Robert Downey Jr probably has more fun acting in an obscure art house movie than say Avengers. He gets a multi million $ contract, the money riding on those movies and fan expectations and the strict contract that comes with multiple dos and donts adds to the pressure. In an art house film he has more freedom and creative expression no doubt about it.

    That necessarily doesn’t make Avengers series inferior quality. You need those summer blockbusters to keep Hollywood alive.

    Movie buffs enjoy all kinds of movies

    Only some selected snobs watch arthouse movies while hating on these blockbuster films.

    Pretty much the entire world is fascinated and watches the Avengers movies, follow the universe, have an emotional investment.

    I know Steyn is not an RDJ type player though. Even at his prime, at best he was maybe a Agt.Paulson type supporting act. Memorable performer and adds to the flavor but not someone the fans would clamor for.

    Now if some fans want to take it as some kind of validation for the PSL and celebrate this, then that’s fair. Congratulations.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    880
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I agree that Steyn is right about IPL having lot of other events. Probably he found it difficult to adjust and this may be just because he is not cut out for that kind of life. His loss or his gain depending upon the tint in your glasses lol.
    I have digested what he said and found it tasted sour

  33. #33
    Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Local.Dada View Post
    Let me put this in context with an analogy:

    Robert Downey Jr probably has more fun acting in an obscure art house movie than say Avengers. He gets a multi million $ contract, the money riding on those movies and fan expectations and the strict contract that comes with multiple dos and donts adds to the pressure. In an art house film he has more freedom and creative expression no doubt about it.

    That necessarily doesn’t make Avengers series inferior quality. You need those summer blockbusters to keep Hollywood alive.

    Movie buffs enjoy all kinds of movies

    Only some selected snobs watch arthouse movies while hating on these blockbuster films.

    Pretty much the entire world is fascinated and watches the Avengers movies, follow the universe, have an emotional investment.

    I know Steyn is not an RDJ type player though. Even at his prime, at best he was maybe a Agt.Paulson type supporting act. Memorable performer and adds to the flavor but not someone the fans would clamor for.

    Now if some fans want to take it as some kind of validation for the PSL and celebrate this, then that’s fair. Congratulations.
    he was one of the best bowlers in the world... hardly a supporting act...also i dont think what hes saying isa dig at ipl just that with all the glamour that surrounds it sometimes the pure cricket is pushed to the side in a sense... doesnt mean he didnt enjoy the cricket when he was playing it... just not the other stuff of which there is less of in PSL

  34. #34
    Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    203
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His one comment has got so many people rattled lmao. Some people love to give a lot of flak but clearly can’t take any.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    1,589
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm .. seems Simon Doull was right abt Dale, after all.


    John 3:16

  36. #36
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    1,678
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Not sure why people are getting triggered, he is a modern day legend and has played top level cricket for around 15 years so I think he has earned a right to atleast have an opinion on how he feels about different leagues as a player. I guess fans and people in general need to be more tolerant of the views, just because someone doesnt confirm with certain pre existing views of others doesnt mean he should be spoken down upon. He is just stating the difference which “he” felt.

    Gulp it and move on.
    I’m sorry, but armchair experts online and various other publications have more right to an opinion on these cricket franchise leagues and the cricketers careers. Keyboard strokes are just as difficult and often more effective than what these professionals deal out.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    92,907
    Mentioned
    7266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    It is interesting that in spite of cricket being an afterthought in IPL while it is the main focus in PSL, the quality of cricket in PSL is rubbish.

    Bumrah bowling to Kohli and de Villiers with Rohit Sharma captaining in the field is an experience that only IPL can provide.

    However, if you want to experience Shinwari bowling to Phil Salt and Cameron Delport with Sarfraz captaining in the field, then only a cricket focused league like PSL can provide such an elite experience.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    3,625
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Somewhat agree with him, the money is just too much which obviously adds more pressure and instead of playing to enjoy it becomes more of trying to justify the auction amount.

    Also many cricketers don't deserve this sort of money, i remember reading that Graeme Pollock needed a charity dinner to sort out his financial troubles. While local 3rd grade bowlers get crores of rupees in IPL.
    It's not entirely fair.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    203
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is interesting that in spite of cricket being an afterthought in IPL while it is the main focus in PSL, the quality of cricket in PSL is rubbish.

    Bumrah bowling to Kohli and de Villiers with Rohit Sharma captaining in the field is an experience that only IPL can provide.

    However, if you want to experience Shinwari bowling to Phil Salt and Cameron Delport with Sarfraz captaining in the field, then only a cricket focused league like PSL can provide such an elite experience.
    Conveniently left out Shaheen vs Babar just a couple days ago. Or the way Amir or Hasan have been bowling this tournament. And either way, Steyn wasn’t making direct comparisons about the quality of the leagues.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is interesting that in spite of cricket being an afterthought in IPL while it is the main focus in PSL, the quality of cricket in PSL is rubbish.

    Bumrah bowling to Kohli and de Villiers with Rohit Sharma captaining in the field is an experience that only IPL can provide.

    However, if you want to experience Shinwari bowling to Phil Salt and Cameron Delport with Sarfraz captaining in the field, then only a cricket focused league like PSL can provide such an elite experience.
    well done for showing 0 understanding of what he was saying....

  41. #41
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    34,917
    Mentioned
    1858 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    At this age, PSL and LPL are more rewarding for him. He didn't get many games in his last IPL. So ofcourse the smaller leagues are more rewarding where he gets to play regularly.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    3,625
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That being said The real reason behind Dale Steyn opting to say this is the fact that these days the guy gets destroyed whenever he plays an ipl match and being a former ATG bowler it hurts his pride.
    But in smaller leagues even though he fails still there's no pressure as the price tag isn't that much.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    At this age, PSL and LPL are more rewarding for him. He didn't get many games in his last IPL. So ofcourse the smaller leagues are more rewarding where he gets to play regularly.
    again not what he was saying... people should actually read before commenting

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,510
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    That being said The real reason behind Dale Steyn opting to say this is the fact that these days the guy gets destroyed whenever he plays an ipl match and being a former ATG bowler it hurts his pride.
    But in smaller leagues even though he fails still there's no pressure as the price tag isn't that much.
    And what was the reason for him saying something similar in 2014 and 2011 genius?

  45. #45
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    92,907
    Mentioned
    7266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Line and Length View Post
    Conveniently left out Shaheen vs Babar just a couple days ago. Or the way Amir or Hasan have been bowling this tournament. And either way, Steyn wasn’t making direct comparisons about the quality of the leagues.
    No convenience. Even when you factor in Babar and Shaheen, the quality of players in IPL is a million times better than PSL. There is no comparison at all.

    All this baloney of PSL being focused on cricket and IPL isn’t means nothing when the difference between the caliber of players is humongous.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    203
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    That being said The real reason behind Dale Steyn opting to say this is the fact that these days the guy gets destroyed whenever he plays an ipl match and being a former ATG bowler it hurts his pride.
    But in smaller leagues even though he fails still there's no pressure as the price tag isn't that much.
    So he gets smashed around in both IPL and in PSL. But getting smashed around in PSL hurts him less because his draft/auction price was less? That makes zero sense.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,510
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan hunt View Post
    My point is pretty simple.
    Don't make dumb statements about him saying this because he is past his prime and stuff.
    His view has been consistent. Irrespective of the money he makes, so less ignorant comments please.
    Ignorant keyboard warriors again attacking Steyn while being completely blind to his past views.
    He has said the same in the past. Come up with a better argument.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,612
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan hunt View Post
    Are we just going to ignore this? Some of our Indian friends are way too defensive. Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174304.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  136.8 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174236.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  124.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174224.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  106.9 KB
    These tweets should open the eyes of those who think bowlers like Bumrah only has to bowl 4 overs in IPL and it is not a workload. These people will never understand the amount of travelling these guys have to do during this period and number of times they have to be match ready. Thanks for posting these tweets here and before anyone point fingers at Steyn and question his bowling here are his stats :

    ODIs : 25.96
    T20s : 18.36
    Tests : 22.95

    Bumrah has similar stats and many Indian fans already call him an ATG in the making.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    3,625
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Line and Length View Post
    So he gets smashed around in both IPL and in PSL. But getting smashed around in PSL hurts him less because his draft/auction price was less? That makes zero sense.
    It makes complete sense.
    Imagine being paid millions to bowl pies.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    3,625
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan hunt View Post
    And what was the reason for him saying something similar in 2014 and 2011 genius?
    He didn't compare ipl to any other league in 2014 did he?
    I already agree with some of his views but the reason behind this comparison is just that his ipl career is all over but he " still get some money in PSL and maybe an honorary citizen too
    Last edited by jeeteshssaxena; 2nd March 2021 at 20:08.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    1,269
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    It's never too late to change.

    Good on Steyn for finally learning a bitter lesson after 10 long years in the cash rich IPL.
    lol haha ... didn't he do great giving it good to you guys.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    2,242
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All these talks sound like sour grapes. One would have taken him seriously had he skipped IPL during his peak years and preferred PSL. But he played in IPL all his life and now since he has passed his prime and realizes he cant get into IPL playing XIs anymore, he is singing praises of PSL. Rabada, Hazelwood, Archer or Cummins would also do the same in 10 years time when they will no longer be good enough for IPL.

    The fact is, IPL is the blue riband of T20 cricket and all other franchise leagues are its inferior imitations. Any player in the world will chose IPL anyday over any other T20 league in the world.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    4,606
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I would prefer if PSL is more associated with IPL than SPL, no disrespect.

    I think what Steyn is actually saying is PSL is not showcase quality, not yet anyway. Needs to bring in a lot more quality players before we can even begin to consider it so players like Steyn can join the coaching staff and leave the bowling to someone more current.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,612
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    That being said The real reason behind Dale Steyn opting to say this is the fact that these days the guy gets destroyed whenever he plays an ipl match and being a former ATG bowler it hurts his pride.
    But in smaller leagues even though he fails still there's no pressure as the price tag isn't that much.
    I just noticed Cricbuzz also has a column for Pyjama League stats and I actually compared Dale Steyn's stats with Bumrah there. I am not sure whether peak Steyn played that league but since you are saying he has been pathetic these days in IPL that means his stats before were pretty similar to Bumrah who has an economy of almost 7.5 there and this is supposedly Bumrah's peak years.

    Stats taken from Cricbuzz :

    Dale Steyn in IPL
    Matches : 95
    Wickets : 97
    Avg : 25
    Eco : 6.92

    Bumrah in IPL
    Matches : 92
    Wickets : 109
    Avg : 23
    Eco : 7.42

    And this is when Steyn was treating IPL as a paid vacation lol.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,443
    Mentioned
    974 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    I get where Steyn is coming from and i can see why he has those views.

    IPL being high profile, has a glitzy element to it which some might hate regardless of how well they are paid.

    Something which you might not see in other leagues.

    This has no bearing on the quality of cricket being played in various leagues. So not sure what the bhangra is all about. Lol.

    Anyways...Steyn in his prime was an amazing IPL bowler for Deccan Chargers.

    Too bad he played for a god awful team during his best years.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    All these talks sound like sour grapes. One would have taken him seriously had he skipped IPL during his peak years and preferred PSL. But he played in IPL all his life and now since he has passed his prime and realizes he cant get into IPL playing XIs anymore, he is singing praises of PSL. Rabada, Hazelwood, Archer or Cummins would also do the same in 10 years time when they will no longer be good enough for IPL.

    The fact is, IPL is the blue riband of T20 cricket and all other franchise leagues are its inferior imitations. Any player in the world will chose IPL anyday over any other T20 league in the world.
    you are making a completely different point to the one he made....not once did he mention quality of league in which your beloved ipl is clearly first... he merely commented on all the extras ( photoshoots, interviews, media on draft price) that surround the ipl and how he wasnt a fan of it

    it fits with what he has said for years and also by all accounts his personality putside of cricket which is the opposite to the glitz and glamour of the ipl that other players ( kohli, archer, maxwell , gayle) thrive off

  57. #57
    Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    1,473
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do Pak journos ask these silly questions to every foreign player

  58. #58
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,612
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan hunt View Post
    Are we just going to ignore this? Some of our Indian friends are way too defensive. Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174304.jpg
Views: 1771
Size:  136.8 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174236.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  124.3 KB
    Name:  Screenshot_20210302_174224.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  106.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    All these talks sound like sour grapes. One would have taken him seriously had he skipped IPL during his peak years and preferred PSL. But he played in IPL all his life and now since he has passed his prime and realizes he cant get into IPL playing XIs anymore, he is singing praises of PSL. Rabada, Hazelwood, Archer or Cummins would also do the same in 10 years time when they will no longer be good enough for IPL.

    The fact is, IPL is the blue riband of T20 cricket and all other franchise leagues are its inferior imitations. Any player in the world will chose IPL anyday over any other T20 league in the world.
    Can you actually read the date in those tweets? PSL has nothing to do with it. I don't think PSL was there in 2014 and definitely it was not there in 2011. He called it a paid vacation long time ago. It was upto Indian franchises to not take him in their teams but it seems they needed Steyn badly.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you're right dude
    Name:  IMG_20210302_212704.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  29.5 KB

  60. #60
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    2,242
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LeedsGreen View Post
    you are making a completely different point to the one he made....not once did he mention quality of league in which your beloved ipl is clearly first... he merely commented on all the extras ( photoshoots, interviews, media on draft price) that surround the ipl and how he wasnt a fan of it

    it fits with what he has said for years and also by all accounts his personality putside of cricket which is the opposite to the glitz and glamour of the ipl that other players ( kohli, archer, maxwell , gayle) thrive off
    Question is why now? He could have complained about the glitz and glamour of IPL when he was in his prime years. The fact that he choose to remain mum back then and enjoyed the same glitz which he is complaining now makes him a hypocrite.

    He is only saying this because he realizes that India-Pakistan are not in good terms and saying something bad about IPL will rise his popularity significantly in Pakistan. It will also enable him to play in PSL for couple of more years despite lackluster performances.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    92,907
    Mentioned
    7266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devadwal View Post
    Yes you're right dude
    Name:  IMG_20210302_212704.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  29.5 KB
    Dale knowns which side of the toast he needs to butter at this stage of life.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He know very well that LPL & PSL are league where he can Play untill he want but same can't be said about IPL ( yes you're finished above photo is proof ) .

  63. #63
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    92,907
    Mentioned
    7266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leg-side-flick View Post
    Why do Pak journos ask these silly questions to every foreign player
    Because they are insecure.

    Deep down, they know that PSL is just a low-budget, cheap imitation of IPL and will never be comparable to the real deal, and it stings them bad.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    29,991
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leg-side-flick View Post
    Why do Pak journos ask these silly questions to every foreign player
    Freedom of speech. It’s allowed in Pak journalism.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well played mate . your career is now secure by atleast 5 year ..

  66. #66
    Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    203
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Freedom of speech. It’s allowed in Pak journalism.
    Hahahahah tooo goood mate.

  67. #67
    Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is interesting that in spite of cricket being an afterthought in IPL while it is the main focus in PSL, the quality of cricket in PSL is rubbish.

    Bumrah bowling to Kohli and de Villiers with Rohit Sharma captaining in the field is an experience that only IPL can provide.

    However, if you want to experience Shinwari bowling to Phil Salt and Cameron Delport with Sarfraz captaining in the field, then only a cricket focused league like PSL can provide such an elite experience.
    I don't know why people try to find quality Cricket in leagues. If you want to build players then first class Cricket is there for it. These are literally just money making leagues both for players and owners and a medium of entertainment for audience. Why do we all try so hard to unearth players from it. Be it PSL or IPL. Steyn is not wrong, its just a money making league and so is PSL. If Pakistanis or Sri lankans are trying to unearth players from it then God help our cricket. Players just get a bigger platform to show their skills that's it. It won't help them to improve their skills, just can build their confidence in front of bigger crowds. Indian cricket and IPL are both doing their respective jobs for them. Whereas we are trying to unearth players from PSL.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    203
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If all you IPL fans know your league is the best in the world, and every other country’s league is just a cheap imitation that shouldn’t be taken seriously, then why are you getting so rattled by Steyn’s comments?

  69. #69
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    1,259
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is same story which explains his situation very well

    When i was child ,want to play cricket in one of my village Cricket team but unfortunately I lose my place in team due to poor performance but another team of my village where some unnamed ( Either patichar player according to World Cup winning caption) Players play ,they said come here you're in our team . after that I said "yar ye team bhut achi h wo team to muje khilate bhi Ni h ,bhut bakwas team thi such m "

  70. #70
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,612
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Freedom of speech. It’s allowed in Pak journalism.
    Smart answer there lol.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    365
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Post today’s phanita from Sterling, Steyn should make few more statements against IPL to secure his place.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    17,845
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why do people not call Dale Steyn a choker? He was taken apart to cleaners by Grant Elliot in WC semi final and ultimately costed his team the match by not being able to defend 300 runs in 43 overs.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    Question is why now? He could have complained about the glitz and glamour of IPL when he was in his prime years. The fact that he choose to remain mum back then and enjoyed the same glitz which he is complaining now makes him a hypocrite.

    He is only saying this because he realizes that India-Pakistan are not in good terms and saying something bad about IPL will rise his popularity significantly in Pakistan. It will also enable him to play in PSL for couple of more years despite lackluster performances.
    look at the dates on those tweets mate... 2011 and 2014... he has been consistent in his feelings towards the ipl

  74. #74
    Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    1,473
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Freedom of speech. It’s allowed in Pak journalism.
    A stupid person needs it to showcase his stupidity... Long may this continue then..

  75. #75
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    2,242
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nov15 View Post
    Post today’s phanita from Sterling, Steyn should make few more statements against IPL to secure his place.
    The funniest bit is he also included Srilanka and said SLPL focuses more on cricket than IPL

    Just goes to show how far these expired cricketers will go to fool the gullible masses.

    As I said before, IPL is the highest form of T20 cricket and only close 2nd to T20 World cup. Anyone thinks otherwise is cricket illetrate.
    Last edited by Rajdeep; 2nd March 2021 at 21:06.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    29,991
    Mentioned
    310 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leg-side-flick View Post
    A stupid person needs it to showcase his stupidity... Long may this continue then..
    I guess Freedom of speech is a stupid concept in India. Can’t blame the gullible public.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    17,845
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    The funniest bit is he also included Srilanka and said SLPL focuses more on cricket than IPL

    Just goes to show how far these expired cricketers will go to fool the gullible masses.

    As I said before, IPL is the highest form of T20 cricket and only close 2nd to T20 World cup. Anyone thinks otherwise is cricket illetrate.
    The common sense clearly says that at this age of his career, he is a pretty average bowler and will not get a game for IPL. But there is still a place for him in other part of the subcontinent where he can have a short stint of 2-3 years and he won't mind it either as it will also strengthen his financial position.

  78. #78
    Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    1,473
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Why do people not call Dale Steyn a choker? He was taken apart to cleaners by Grant Elliot in WC semi final and ultimately costed his team the match by not being able to defend 300 runs in 43 overs.
    He was a ATG in test, a v good bowler in ODI's and average in T20.

    Overall still a great of the game....

    Unfortunately for him, the leagues don't play test cricket

  79. #79
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    4,510
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Can you actually read the date in those tweets? PSL has nothing to do with it. I don't think PSL was there in 2014 and definitely it was not there in 2011. He called it a paid vacation long time ago. It was upto Indian franchises to not take him in their teams but it seems they needed Steyn badly.
    I don't know why everyone keeps ignoring that fact.
    Well I do know, but still.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    17,845
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leg-side-flick View Post
    He was a ATG in test, a v good bowler in ODI's and average in T20.

    Overall still a great of the game....

    Unfortunately for him, the leagues don't play test cricket
    Actually, he was good in T20s also. It is just that now he is on his last leg and will be average in any format that he plays, not only T20s but others also.

    However, in tests at prime, he was a different beast altogether.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •