Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    55
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is the lack of quality in foreign players hurting the PSL?

    I always thought one of the main objectives of the PSL was for young Pakistan cricketers to play with and against top class international cricketers so they can gain confidence and be ready for international cricket (as is the case with IPL)

    However, the majority of foreign players in PSL are either those who have played little to no international cricket or who are finished at the international level.

    Players like Wiese, Dunk, Salt, Delport are players with little experience of playing at the highest level whereas players like Steyn are passed it.

    You think the absence of top class foreign international players is hurting the development of our emerging players?

  2. #2
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    38,047
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Either pay $1-3 million and choose another window for the PSL or stop complaining
    Last edited by Saj; 3rd March 2021 at 01:07.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    737
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja Ishtiaq View Post
    I always thought one of the main objectives of the PSL was for young Pakistan cricketers to play with and against top class international cricketers so they can gain confidence and be ready for international cricket (as is the case with IPL)

    However, the majority of foreign players in PSL are either those who have played little to no international cricket or who are finished at the international level.

    Players like Wiese, Dunk, Salt, Delport are players with little experience of playing at the highest level whereas players like Steyn are passed it.

    You think the absence of top class foreign international players is hurting the development of our emerging players?
    Agreed specifically this season is poor as in previous seasons we had likes of morgan, moeen ali etc

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    2,292
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin786 View Post
    Agreed specifically this season is poor as in previous seasons we had likes of morgan, moeen ali etc
    When did Morgan ever play PSL?

  5. #5
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    2,223
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoaibbtt View Post
    When did Morgan ever play PSL?
    2017 PSL he played for Peshawar Zalmi

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    2,292
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The cricket enthusiast View Post
    2017 PSL he played for Peshawar Zalmi
    Slipped my mind, but we need currently active players with the likes of Morgan playing PSL.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    81,855
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I guess tier 1 overseas players this time:

    Rashid Khan

    Other than that I can't think of any others?



  8. #8
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    2,223
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I guess tier 1 overseas players this time:

    Rashid Khan

    Other than that I can't think of any others?
    Alex Hales

  9. #9
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    631
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    doesnt make a difference to our mental midgets... wether we get tier 1 or 2 or 3, our players will always be mentally shot players, jo khh0tta sika thora bohat chal jata hai uska baloon hawa se bhar jata hai and goes downhill... jo marzi kr lo Pak cricket will keep on giving in the way it has... we will always have players, not athletes... jis din hamaray larkay prof athletes banain gey, hasad aur shokh baziyaan chor dein gey, Pak team will be number 1...
    Last edited by reversehook; 3rd March 2021 at 01:38. Reason: khhotta sika, idk y it blurred it

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    81,855
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The cricket enthusiast View Post
    Alex Hales
    Yes, fair point.

    Rashid Khan and Alex Hales.

    I guess the likes of Faf, Gayle etc fall into Tier 2.
    Last edited by Saj; 3rd March 2021 at 01:54.



  11. #11
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    5,238
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Relax and enjoy the overall quality of the league. Its not hurt at all but been entertaining and high quality.

    Not everyone is going to fire or reach fans expectations. But from what I've seen, quite a few of the overseas players have done well or played an influential knock. You saw the devastation that Stirling wrought today.

    We knew Steyn probably wouldn't excel but he's more of a brand ambassador. As PSL grows and more money is pumped into the system, I'm sure we'll see more prominent overseas stars.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    2,260
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I guess tier 1 overseas players this time:

    Rashid Khan

    Other than that I can't think of any others?

    Chris Gayle, Alex Hales, Faf Du Plesis...

    Covid has strongly impacted this Edition. However League cricket is going to get diluted with so many different leagues popping up.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    2,564
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes. We have had far better foreign players in the past like Watson, Russell, KP, Roy, Billings etc

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    721
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the right strategy, and a marginal increase in earnings, those that feel they are going to miss out on the IPL, ahead of its draft, can opt to play in the PSL.

    Think our domestic players with the bat especially, are shining more than overseas counterparts this time around - plenty of quality overseas players who can replace some of the current crop, some of whom are probably nearing the end of their franchise careers.

    I wish we had got more subcontinent players from Bang/SL in this time around - there was a tendency though to pick SENA perhaps.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    38,047
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The PCB needs to find another window for the PSL and not have it close to the IPL.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    5,955
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many foreign teams and top players are still taking their time to play full season in Pakistan .This is just the 2nd full PSL in Pakistan and that too with many uncertainties due to covid pamdemic. Considering that, this is a great progress and I'm sure in 2-3 years PSL will be the 2nd most high profile league with top players participation. .

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    2,211
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaka4pope View Post
    With the right strategy, and a marginal increase in earnings, those that feel they are going to miss out on the IPL, ahead of its draft, can opt to play in the PSL.

    Think our domestic players with the bat especially, are shining more than overseas counterparts this time around - plenty of quality overseas players who can replace some of the current crop, some of whom are probably nearing the end of their franchise careers.

    I wish we had got more subcontinent players from Bang/SL in this time around - there was a tendency though to pick SENA perhaps.
    I agree it should be the priority to pick up the best players who get unsold in IPL. In previous seasons you might have wondered if having top international bowlers would be a mismatch for our weak batsmen but this year seems to be ok.

    We'd probably still need to err on the side on hoping for the Guptill's and Finch's though just in case.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    7,252
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    should reduce overseas slots, should be 3 players and allow the franchises more room to at least have one high paid overseas player and two more supporting type international players.

    in a perverse way the psl has been lucky the ipl dont let pakistani players play, could easily imagine at least 6 or 7 of them in ipl, and thus having a signficantly higher likelihood of being unfit for the psl.

    losing 1 or 2 big name pakistan players per squad would really hurt the league.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    737
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoaibbtt View Post
    When did Morgan ever play PSL?
    Played for zalmi in one season and karachi kings next season

  20. #20
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Delhi,India
    Runs
    13,674
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw more active players in Lanka PL so yes agree with @Savak PSL should not be close to IPL to have a better pool of players.


  21. #21
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    37,812
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Of course.

    Having the best overseas players in the world will lift the standard of the tournament. It's unlikely to happen due to internationals being scheduled during the PSL and also the PSL is close to the IPL. Some players would rather rest than risk injury and miss out on the IPL. Also with bio secure bubble ls, if you play in both leagues you could be in a bio bubble for 4/5 months.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    751
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    The PCB needs to find another window for the PSL and not have it close to the IPL.
    Yes, IMO September - October would be the best time for having PSL in Pakistan.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    2,163
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChTab View Post
    Yes, IMO September - October would be the best time for having PSL in Pakistan.
    September has CPL and they pay more than PSL to some players why would they play PSL

  24. #24
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    721
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    I agree it should be the priority to pick up the best players who get unsold in IPL. In previous seasons you might have wondered if having top international bowlers would be a mismatch for our weak batsmen but this year seems to be ok.

    We'd probably still need to err on the side on hoping for the Guptill's and Finch's though just in case.
    Guptill Finch like we have Miller, Hales, solid players that arenít int superstar level is all good, if we can get the best Afghan Bng SL players going too that would be positive.

    Nearly all teams can boast two good Pak bats + two better overseas options and teams will be strong. Asian spinners beyond our own would be good overseas picks also - Qais/Rashid for example have added value.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    228
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We deserve players like Ben Dunk and Ravi Bopara. We can not even host a tournament properly forget about attracting the Warners, Smiths, Williamsons of the world.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •