User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

ECP protected those who made money by holding Senate elections through secret ballot: PM Imran Khan

Prime Minister Imran Khan on Thursday lashed out at the opposition Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM) for "making a mockery of democracy", while also calling out the ECP for "protecting those who made money by holding the Senate elections through secret ballot".

The premier made these remarks in an address to the nation where he explained the political situation in the country that emerged after Wednesday's Senate elections in which the opposition managed to stage an upset.

"It is important to talk about it and explain it, because the problems in our country can be understood through the kind of election that happened," the premier said at the start of his address.

He said when the PTI took part in the Senate elections six years ago, he realised that "money is used" in the polls for the upper house. This was not a new phenomenon, he said, but had been going on for the last 30-40 years.

"The one who becomes a senator and wants to become one uses money and who do they buy? Members of parliament.

"So I was surprised when I came to know and since then I started a campaign that what joke is happening with our democracy? What kind of democracy is this?" he said, noting that the country's leadership emerged from the Senate elections and the parliament, and the prime minister and cabinet members were chosen from among lawmakers.

"So I was surprised that when you're spending money, a senator becomes a senator by giving bribes, and on the other side [are] those MPs who are selling their conscience and voting after taking money, then what kind of democracy is this? Since then I started my campaign and I said since then that there should be open ballot."

In the 2018 Senate elections, Imran said he came to know that 20 PTI lawmakers had sold their votes after taking money.

"We expelled the 20 members but then I saw that it wasn't just me saying this, but the two main parties that signed the Charter of Democracy ó the PML-N and PPP ó had agreed that there should be open ballot because money is exchanged in the Senate elections," he added, saying PML-N leaders later also issued similar statements.

In view of the above, the premier said, the PTI presented a bill in the parliament seeking open ballot for the Senate polls. "Then we saw it wasn't happening and the parties which had said that there should be open ballot didn't support us. We then went to the Supreme Court and a whole case was heard in the SC. [During the hearings,] judges repeatedly asked about money being exchanged, and during that a video came out of MPs taking money ahead of the 2018 Senate elections, so no one had any doubt," he said.

He noted that while the matter was being heard in the apex court, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) opposed open ballot, while the SC repeatedly said that it was the ECP's responsibility to conduct honest and transparent elections.

"All the parties of the PDM then united and said together that there should be secret ballot when they all said in the past that there should be open ballot.

"Now I ask all of you, what in your opinion was the reason [for their stance]?" Prime Minister Imran asked the nation. "These parties wanted an open ballot before, then why did they all now push for secret ballot?"

He said the opposition had termed open ballot against the Constitution and democracy but asked: "Was it not against the Constitution when they signed the Charter of Democracy? They had placed a bill in the Senate and said at that time that there should be open ballot."

He further said the opposition had planned to "use money" in the election contest between Yousuf Raza Gilani and Abdul Hafeez Shaikh. "Full effort was to be done to break our members and align them with [the opposition] by giving them money. And if somehow Hafeez Shaikh were to lose that election, what would that prove? That Imran Khan's majority in the parliament has finished," he added, saying in such a scenario, the opposition's next step would be to bring a vote of no confidence.

"So the real objective was to hang the sword of vote of confidence over me and blackmail me into somehow giving them NRO."

The prime minister said if the Senate elections had taken place through open ballot, the PTI "would have gotten as many seats as it has currently won. [The opposition] are behaving as if they have won some major battle, but we got the same seats; we are the biggest party in the Senate."

He said the opposition had done all the "drama" for the Islamabad seat, while Gilani was "distributing money and buying people's consciences". The premier revealed that some female members of the PTI had been offered millions of rupees in exchange for their votes by some old PTI worker.

Imran then addressed the ECP and said: "You have a big role, you have the biggest responsibility of [holding] honest and transparent elections.

"First I didn't understand why you went to court and said there should be secret ballot. Tell me does any constitution give the permission for stealing or giving bribes, which is what has happened for 30 years?"

He noted that the SC also gave an opportunity to the ECP to conduct the elections through secret ballot but have the ballot be identifiable. In such a mode, the premier said, the PTI would be able to identify its members "who were sold".

"You protected these criminals through secret ballot, you have damaged our democracy," he told the ECP. "Tell me what kind of democracy is this that one becomes a senator after giving money; is this democracy?"

Pakistan's 'downfall'
    Prime Minister Imran said ever since his government was formed, "all these corrupt people in the old political parties" feared that he would move forward on the corruption cases against them since he had run his election campaign on the agenda to eliminate corruption.

"I want to remind you that their corruption cases are old, we didn't make them, they are since their times, in our time only five per cent cases [have been started], while the rest are all old," he said, adding that the opposition had since then united to put pressure on the government. "All of them have one interest: to exert so much pressure on me that I raise my hands and, like Gen Musharraf, give them an NRO and end their corruption cases."

He said the opposition first tried to blackmail him over the 2018 elections, then during the coronavirus crisis and later on legislation related to the requirements of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF). Noting that Pakistan could be placed on the FATF's 'blacklist' if it didn't meet its requirements, the premier said the opposition had sought a virtual elimination of the National Accountability Bureau in exchange for supporting the bill.

Recounting his journey into politics, Prime Minister Imran said 50 years ago Pakistan's example was given and it a status in the world. "But I slowly saw our country going down, and the destruction after 1985 in this country, ever since corruption went sky-high [and] there was a non-party based election.

"Before that when I came from India to Pakistan after playing cricket it felt like coming from a poor country to a rich country but slowly we began to see that change," he added.

The premier said the theft carried out by a poor person troubled only a few people but the corruption of a developing country's prime minister or ministers made it indebted.

"We are not a poor country, God has given us everything, but no country can progress when the powerful sitting above are taking its money out," he emphasised.

Upset in Senate
    After staging an upset in the Senate elections, the opposition parties have managed to retain their majority in the upper house of parliament and are now hopeful of getting the top offices of chairman and deputy chairman for which elections through secret balloting will be held on March 12.

As expected, a hung Senate emerged on 37 seats of the upper house of parliament as the opposition and the ruling alliances now have 53 and 47 members, respectively, in the (now) 100-member Senate.

Hours after the ruling coalitionís candidate Finance Minister Abdul Hafeez Shaikh suffered defeat at the hands of Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM)'s joint candidate Yousuf Raza Gilani in a major upset, the government announced that Prime Minister Imran would seek a vote of confidence afresh from the National Assembly.

Rejected votes played a significant role in the upset with Gilani securing 169 votes as against 164 bagged by Shaikh, with the number of rejected votes exceeding the margin of victory.

DAWN

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The Charter of Democracy that the duffer and BB signed agreed open balloting but when they were in power they had no interest. In 2015 IK offered his support to NS but the vote ki Izzat frauds couldn't bring themselves to fulfil their promises, even when their main nemesis was offering his support. PK needs a bloody revolution where these mafia cpwards are taken care off.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IK is 150% right
    one can make the claim for corrupt competent but Democracy must prevail, secret ballots should end and opposition parties opposing it are doing nothing but digging their own grave with thier own shovel

Complain was always military interference right?
    well if opposition thinks they have more money than army than they are mistaken

Army can always out buy you if they want to influence in senate,
    so end that loophole

I think this is coming from a place of insecurity which is short term thinking IK/will die thier own death
    SO you have to trust and strengthen democratic institutions cause you'll gain from it in the long run not a phase of populism that you are scared of rn

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/wo...mocracy-220536

Under mounting pressure to resign, Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on Thursday lashed out at the grand Opposition alliance for “making a mockery of democracy” and said that he will never let the corrupt off the hook.

Khan made the remarks during an address to the nation ahead of seeking a vote of confidence in a bid to restore the legitimacy of his government in the wake of the defeat of finance minister Abdul Hafeez Shaikh in hotly-contested Senate elections on Wednesday.

Pakistan Democratic Movement (PDM) candidate and former prime minister Yusuf Raza Gilani defeated Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) candidate Shaikh, giving a major blow to Prime Minister Khan who had personally campaigned for his Cabinet colleague.

The PDM is an 11-party alliance set up in September last year to topple the government of Khan which it alleged came after rigging of elections in 2018.

“I will take a vote of confidence the day after tomorrow (Saturday). I will ask my members to show if they have confidence in me. If they say they have no confidence, I will sit on Opposition benches,” the 68-year-old cricketer-turned politician said.

“If I am out of the government, I will go to the people and bring them out to continue my struggle for the country. I will not let these traitors (who plundered the country) sit in peace. I call them traitors because they are looters,” Khan said.

Khan’s party has 157 members in the 342-member National Assembly. Opposition PML-N and PPP have 84 and 54 members, respectively.

Explaining the political situation in the country in the wake of Wednesday’s Senate elections, Khan said that it was important to talk about it and explain it, because the problems in Pakistan can be understood through the kind of election that happened.

The country’s leadership comes from within the members of parliament “and here you have people becoming Senators after bribing others,” he said.

“The one who becomes a senator and wants to become one uses money and who do they buy? Members of Parliament… What joke is happening with our democracy? What kind of democracy is this?” a visibly upset Khan said.

Khan recalled that in the 2018 Senate elections, his party’s 20 lawmakers had sold their votes after accepting money.

“We expelled them but then I saw that it wasn’t just me saying this, but the two main parties that signed the Charter of Democracy — the PML-N and PPP — had agreed that there should be an open ballot because money is exchanged in the Senate elections,” he added.

“I now ask you. Why do you think the same parties who wanted an open ballot now geared all their efforts to have a secret ballot?” Khan said, attacking the Opposition parties which demanded a secret ballot during Senate elections.

Khan also lashed out at the Election Commission of Pakistan which he said failed to stop corruption in the elections.

“You (ECP) discredited democracy…you damaged the morality of the nation by doing nothing to stop vote-buying.”

He also talked about the slow fall of Pakistan into backwardness after 1985 non-party elections which ushered in the use of money in politics. He said before that Pakistan was far better as compared to India.

“When I used to come to Pakistan from India after playing cricket, it looked as if you had come from a poor country to a rich country,” he said.

He said the Opposition parties tried to blackmail him in order to get concessions in their corruption cases. “They used money to win Senate elections to put pressure on me in the parliament,” he said.

Khan claimed his party members were offered Rs 200 crores to buy votes and 15-16 members of his party sold themselves.

He said it was important to stop corruption at the top before expecting the people to become honest. He also said that a leader can make more money in one deal than all money plundered by all thieves rotting in jails.

Speaking on the Financial Action Task Force’s listing of Pakistan as a “grey list” country, Khan said Pakistan is required to do what the global watchdog to combat money laundering and terrorist financing directs, otherwise it will be “blacklisted” and “sanctioned”.

“The sanctions mean that our rupee will fall and then inflation rises [...] anything that is imported becomes expensive,” he said, counting fuel, electricity, pulses and wheat as the commodities most affected.

Meanwhile, sources in the government said that the PTI leadership discussed the issue of defeat of Shaikh at length and its ramification for the government, and decided to seek a vote of confidence.

President Arif Alvi has been conveyed to summon the National Assembly session on Saturday for the purpose. The members of the ruling party and its allies have been asked to be present in Islamabad on Saturday.

Commenting on the decision of the government to seek a vote of confidence, former premier and senior leader of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) Shahid Khaqan Abbasi said that it was not substitute of fair and free elections.

“The Prime Minister has lost moral ground to remain in office.... he should announce elections,” he said.

The latest rift highlights the brittleness of Pakistan’s political system, notorious for shifting loyalties of politicians and a whimsical establishment that wants to keep its interests above everything in every government.

As the political drama unfolds, powerful army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa, accompanied by the ISI chief Lt. Gen. Faiz Hameed, met Prime Minister Khan and discussed various national issues.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Canít PM IK dismiss those who head the ECP?

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    Can’t PM IK dismiss those who head the ECP?
    He can't and shouldn't be able to. The problem is we have once again an institution controlled by the mafia and I am not sure bar the SC what can be done

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    Canít PM IK dismiss those who head the ECP?
    If he does then heíll be accused of political interference, so not sure what more he has to offer as PM as any constructive change requires political reforms of the kind that PM Imran Khan wonít and canít do - because he will provide the opposition an opportunity to use the Ďpolitical victimisationí card and the media/propaganda machine will go for it.

I would suggest he resign , let PML N come into power , and there wonít be a better deserving prize for the people of Pakistan then to see PM Shahid Khaqan Abbasi and Yusuf Raza Gilani as Senate chairman.

And happiness and celebrations for all.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is the same election commission which refused to look into irregularities in four constituencies after 2013 despite Imranís three- year protest. Now, it has ordered reelection in Daska after PML-N protested and it annulled the election result within hours. Pathetic!

This country is hopeless; corruption and deception is deeply-rooted.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.samaa.tv/news/2021/03/le...pm-imran-khan/

The Election Commission of Pakistan said on Friday if anyone had an objection to the ECP’s decisions then they could take the legal way but the commission must be allowed to work independently.

The ECP was hurt by the statements of Prime Minister Imran Khan and members of his cabinet, it said in a statement.

It said it was an independent constitutional institution and had to follow what was set in the law and constitution as “standard”.

“We can not ignore the constitution just to make someone happy,” the ECP said, adding that it would not “come under anyone’s pressure”.

PM Khan while addressing the nation on Thursday accused the ECP of “saving criminals and bringing harm to democracy”. He said the ECP had a major role to play in the Senate election.

“Your biggest responsibility is to ensure free and fair elections,” PM Khan said. “I didn’t understand why you advocated a secret ballot in the court. Tell me does the constitution allow committing thievery and taking bribe?”

The ECP said it listens to everyone who approaches the commission, but works only according to the law.

It was amazing that the provincial results were acceptable but not the ones that they lost, it said. The commission’s job was to implement the law, not to legislate, the ECP said.

Every political party should have the spirit to accept defeat and if anyone had any reservation, then they should come up with evidence, the ECP said. It said if it could listen to the recommendations then why not the reservations.

Science and Technology Minister Fawad Chaudhry called the ECP’s statement “inappropriate”.

PM Khan and the PTI have utmost respect for the ECP and all institutions of the country, Chaudhry said. There’s no truth in the reports that the PTI would stage a protest outside the ECP office, he said.

The minister said institutions demonstrate their impartiality through their actions, not press statements. It is inappropriate for the ECP to issue a statement in response to the prime minister’s statement, he said.

PM Khan said the commission failed to stop horse-trading in the senate election, Chaudhry said. “There is nothing to be hurt about this,” he said. “In fact, they have to be ashamed of.”

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    IK exposes another mafia nearly everyday. From the crooked politicians to those in media that back them to lawyers paid off by the mafia, to a spineless judiciary and now the ECP. Although deep down, I have come to accept the painful reality that he has lost to mafia, I am proud of Kaptaan and his attempt to change the status quo. IA PK people wake up but alas it ain't going to happen.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    IK exposes another mafia nearly everyday. From the crooked politicians to those in media that back them to lawyers paid off by the mafia, to a spineless judiciary and now the ECP. Although deep down, I have come to accept the painful reality that he has lost to mafia, I am proud of Kaptaan and his attempt to change the status quo. IA PK people wake up but alas it ain't going to happen.
    Itís so painful to see how things are unfolding in front of us. I was so hopeful when Kaptaan took over but it seems that Pakistanis are destined to suffer forever at the hands of Bhuttos and Shareefs and this time around they kind of deserve it, they no longer can blame the politicians for their miseries. They are getting what they are asked for. Itís easier for kaptaan to fight the status quo than to change the mentality of Pakistanis. No doubt the politicians are corrupt and so is the majority of Pakistanis. Itís a match made in heaven. It will take 100s of Kaptaans to fix it. I really feel sorry for him, what is he made of that heís still holding his own . Any other person in his position wd hv given up on Pakistanis long time back. You just canít defeat him ..

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1038 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím not surprised one bit.. The mafia knows they can only buy the loyality of people only as long as itís secret ballot.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1038 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaaik View Post
    Iím not surprised one bit.. The mafia knows they can only buy the loyality of people only as long as itís secret ballot.
    Pathetic leeches.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It’s so painful to see how things are unfolding in front of us. I was so hopeful when Kaptaan took over but it seems that Pakistanis are destined to suffer forever at the hands of Bhuttos and Shareefs and this time around they kind of deserve it, they no longer can blame the politicians for their miseries. They are getting what they are asked for. It’s easier for kaptaan to fight the status quo than to change the mentality of Pakistanis. No doubt the politicians are corrupt and so is the majority of Pakistanis. It’s a match made in heaven. It will take 100s of Kaptaans to fix it. I really feel sorry for him, what is he made of that he’s still holding his own . Any other person in his position wd hv given up on Pakistanis long time back. You just can’t defeat him ..
    To be honest I am really down. I was 8 years old when I came to England, and I have no family in PK bar some distant uncles. It is my identity, it will forever be part of me but Its painful to watch.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I’m not surprised one bit.. The mafia knows they can only buy the loyality of people only as long as it’s secret ballot.
    Whatever they do it, it works and they have no shame or fear.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    IK is 150% right
    one can make the claim for corrupt competent but Democracy must prevail, secret ballots should end and opposition parties opposing it are doing nothing but digging their own grave with thier own shovel

Complain was always military interference right?
    well if opposition thinks they have more money than army than they are mistaken

Army can always out buy you if they want to influence in senate,
    so end that loophole

I think this is coming from a place of insecurity which is short term thinking IK/will die thier own death
    SO you have to trust and strengthen democratic institutions cause you'll gain from it in the long run not a phase of populism that you are scared of rn
    You have a very weird obsession with "muhlitaree", my dude.

Military don't give a damn about who is governing and how. Even Shehzadi Maryam has stopped military narrative. Give it a rest

Pakistan is the wild west without any sheriff. It's just a corrupt nation to the core.

These last few days have shed a bright light on how Pakistan really works.

All parties are corrupt, politics is just a business, Islam and its principles have nothing to do with this country's voted "leaders" and finally Pakistanis are capable of selling their own mothers for a few carore rupias (I know someone famous said that).

Ngl, these past days have taught me a lot. It's been a while since I have learned so much about people in such little time span. It's simply fascinating. I am surprised at my naivety.

Finally, IK's struggle is futile. After his eventual death in upcoming years, this country will be run by same crooks.

@Mamoon congratulations, your lot is winning this one, by an innings!

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever they do it, it works and they have no shame or fear.
    they know they can get away with anything ..

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    780 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s so painful to see how things are unfolding in front of us. I was so hopeful when Kaptaan took over but it seems that Pakistanis are destined to suffer forever at the hands of Bhuttos and Shareefs and this time around they kind of deserve it, they no longer can blame the politicians for their miseries. They are getting what they are asked for. It’s easier for kaptaan to fight the status quo than to change the mentality of Pakistanis. No doubt the politicians are corrupt and so is the majority of Pakistanis. It’s a match made in heaven. It will take 100s of Kaptaans to fix it. I really feel sorry for him, what is he made of that he’s still holding his own . Any other person in his position wd hv given up on Pakistanis long time back. You just can’t defeat him ..
    Pakistanis brought IK to power. Its not our fault that IK could not prevent his party members from selling out.

There is too much 'Pakistani' bashing going on these threads. If the nation is as corrupt and hopeless as expats are portraying it here then how come an honest, clean, hardworking person like Imran is its PM ?

The world hasn't ended with senate elections. Next GE are only two years away and a lot of unsuspected folks here are in for a surprise. IK will get 2/3 majority in 2023 and yes it will be the 'Pakistanis' voting for him.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest I am really down. I was 8 years old when I came to England, and I have no family in PK bar some distant uncles. It is my identity, it will forever be part of me but Its painful to watch.
    I feel your pain brother.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Election Commissioner can be removed from office under Article 209 of the constitution of Pakistan.

Article 209 states that if the President is of the opinion that a member of the Election Commission has been guilty of misconduct, there shall be an inquiry into the matter.

And if after the inquiry, it is found that there has indeed been misconduct, the President may remove the guilty party from office.

There is a good chance that SC orders an inquiry into the Election Commission's conduct, and if found guilty he could be removed from office.

I think this is just the beginning. I have a feeling this is not going to end well for either Gilani or the Election Commissioner.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    Pakistanis brought IK to power. Its not our fault that IK could not prevent his party members from selling out.

There is too much 'Pakistani' bashing going on these threads. If the nation is as corrupt and hopeless as expats are portraying it here then how come an honest, clean, hardworking person like Imran is its PM ?

The world hasn't ended with senate elections. Next GE are only two years away and a lot of unsuspected folks here are in for a surprise. IK will get 2/3 majority in 2023 and yes it will be the 'Pakistanis' voting for him.
    I didnít mean the whole of Pakistan is corrupt but the majority of the population is either ignorant or corrupt or both.

The only problem I hv with Pakistanis is how easily they can be manipulated by the media and can get them change their hearts and minds over night. The people who voted for Imran khan are now baying for his blood (not all but a sizable number) why coz he cdnt control the inflation with out realizing that the real reason behind inflation is a decade of corruption and incompetence of 2 parties who they now perceive as their Messiah.
    When you stand behind someone , its imperative to stand behind him till the end through both thin and thick but people of Pakistan (majority) change their stance every other day. And, the less you talk about Pakistani politicians the better itís. If these politicians will have their way, they would even sell their nation for few bucks.

In Sha Allah I hope Khan gets 2/3rd majority in next GE otherwise all the hard work done by him so far would go down the drain. If the PDM looters wd somehow manage to get back in power in next GE, phir Pakistan ka Khudda he hafiz hai ..

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shariq7 View Post
    The Election Commissioner can be removed from office under Article 209 of the constitution of Pakistan.

Article 209 states that if the President is of the opinion that a member of the Election Commission has been guilty of misconduct, there shall be an inquiry into the matter.

And if after the inquiry, it is found that there has indeed been misconduct, the President may remove the guilty party from office.

There is a good chance that SC orders an inquiry into the Election Commission's conduct, and if found guilty he could be removed from office.

I think this is just the beginning. I have a feeling this is not going to end well for either Gilani or the Election Commissioner.
    The whole election commission needs to be dismissed. The news is that itís members were bought from London and Musasiq Malik, Nasir butt and Nawazs elder son were involved.

This needs to be investigated and if found true the entire election commission should be put behind the bars.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The whole election commission needs to be dismissed. The news is that it’s members were bought from London and Musasiq Malik, Nasir butt and Nawazs elder son were involved.

This needs to be investigated and if found true the entire election commission should be put behind the bars.
    If you do that the PDM will start a movement like the lawyers' one in 2008.

In Pakistan corrupt people will always be protected by the mafia. The media will play its role in brainwashing the people taking into account the rewards they are promised.

Musharraf tried to fire the corrupt Iftikhar, but no one supported him. I am sure there will be a narrative built against the PTI as well for damaging democracy.

Corruption is a currency in Pak and every mafia is there to protect each other.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post

In Pakistan corrupt people will always be protected by the mafia. The media will play its role in brainwashing the people taking into account the rewards they are promised.

Musharraf tried to fire the corrupt Iftikhar, but no one supported him. I am sure there will be a narrative built against the PTI as well for damaging democracy.

Thatís my fear as well but something has to be done to Election Commission before next GE otherwise it would really tough for PTI to win the elections. Itís clear as day light that election commission is comprised..

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s my fear as well but something has to be done to Election Commission before next GE otherwise it would really tough for PTI to win the elections. It’s clear as day light that election commission is comprised..
    This is where the role of the establishment comes into play as only they have the connections to balance things out.

If the PTI doesn't have the support of the establishment anymore it will be very difficult and they will have to rely on the power of the people yet again to enforce big changes.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    780 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t mean the whole of Pakistan is corrupt but the majority of the population is either ignorant or corrupt or both.

The only problem I hv with Pakistanis is how easily they can be manipulated by the media and can get them change their hearts and minds over night. The people who voted for Imran khan are now baying for his blood (not all but a sizable number) why coz he cdnt control the inflation with out realizing that the real reason behind inflation is a decade of corruption and incompetence of 2 parties who they now perceive as their Messiah.
    When you stand behind someone , its imperative to stand behind him till the end through both thin and thick but people of Pakistan (majority) change their stance every other day. And, the less you talk about Pakistani politicians the better it’s. If these politicians will have their way, they would even sell their nation for few bucks.

In Sha Allah I hope Khan gets 2/3rd majority in next GE otherwise all the hard work done by him so far would go down the drain. If the PDM looters wd somehow manage to get back in power in next GE, phir Pakistan ka Khudda he hafiz hai ..
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post

Pakistanis aren't dumb enough to be manipulated into supporting crooks by media. Moreover, there are pro PTI media groups like ARY to balance things out. 2008 lawyer's type movement is out of question.

Fact is that majority Pakistanis still support IK. They rejected PDM's attempt to rally people against IK. Despite record inflation, how many protests (even at local level) have you seen against IK's government ? (used to happen regularly against PPP ,PML N governments).

People are willing to give time to IK as there is no other option. Next elections are already in the bag for him. It is his job now to take firm decisions, tighten his grip on the system and deal with the remnants of the mafia.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Pakistanis aren't dumb enough to be manipulated into supporting crooks by media. Moreover, there are pro PTI media groups like ARY to balance things out. 2008 lawyer's type movement is out of question.

Fact is that majority Pakistanis still support IK. They rejected PDM's attempt to rally people against IK. Despite record inflation, how many protests (even at local level) have you seen against IK's government ? (used to happen regularly against PPP ,PML N governments).

People are willing to give time to IK as there is no other option. Next elections are already in the bag for him. It is his job now to take firm decisions, tighten his grip on the system and deal with the remnants of the mafia.
    I don't share your optimism about people's judgement but IA you are right. Many of his decisions will come to fruition down the line but whether people keep faith in him will remain the question. He needs to get into the heart ( through spies)of the middle men that are manipulating prices at the behest of the mafia, he needs to build warehouses to store food and use the govts power to keep supplies even so that prices aren't manipulated so easily. Ultimately, the price of oil will decide his fate.
    Last edited by Bewal Express; 8th March 2021 at 00:03.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IK will not get 2/3 majority as it seems at the moment, he will not even win the election in 2023. I hope that I am wrong. However, he has been unlucky with corona, unparalleled debt left etc. The issue is inflation and Pakistanis simply care about this factor more then anything else.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    IK will not get 2/3 majority as it seems at the moment, he will not even win the election in 2023. I hope that I am wrong. However, he has been unlucky with corona, unparalleled debt left etc. The issue is inflation and Pakistanis simply care about this factor more then anything else.
    He might get it if the Army is behind him but the fact of the matter is that the lower middle class, middle class are extremely frustrated with the inflation and they just don't see any future or prospects at all for themselves, their future generations in the country. Most of my university were friends were die hard PTI and IK supporters but the inflation has badly frustrated them to the point where they now abuse IK very badly. To these people it doesn't matter whether you explain to them what the previous governments did and what now, they only care about now, their lives right now, what will you do to make their lives easier and better.

Most of my University friends are on Salaries of Rs 100,000-150,000-200,000-300,000 a month, back when i finished college in 2008 and then 2010, this was a very good salary to reach but now the inflation is so high that its meaningless. Then they get depressed over the fact that they are in their mid 30's, approaching 40, with 1-2 young kids and they don't see any prospects of being able to afford property or apartments in Defence where the price of houses now is worth crores, beyond the reach of a salaried man.

A friend of mine is a property dealer and he tells me that the vast majority of people who are buying property in Defence apart from retired high level officers in the armed forces, rich Pakistani businessmen, CEO's, senior management in multi national corporations are overseas Pakistani's living, earning in the Middle East, West who can afford to buy land, houses in DHA.

Just to give you an example, our own house in KHI in Defence which is abandoned where we have employed a caretaker to look after it, if you add up his monthly salary, the utilities, taxes and repairs/maintenance, it is costing us Rs 100k a month for an abandoned house. You can pretty well imagine how much the living expenses are for people living in a house.

IK has to do something to reduce inflation

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    He might get it if the Army is behind him but the fact of the matter is that the lower middle class, middle class are extremely frustrated with the inflation and they just don't see any future or prospects at all for themselves, their future generations in the country. Most of my university were friends were die hard PTI and IK supporters but the inflation has badly frustrated them to the point where they now abuse IK very badly. To these people it doesn't matter whether you explain to them what the previous governments did and what now, they only care about now, their lives right now, what will you do to make their lives easier and better.

Most of my University friends are on Salaries of Rs 100,000-150,000-200,000-300,000 a month, back when i finished college in 2008 and then 2010, this was a very good salary to reach but now the inflation is so high that its meaningless. Then they get depressed over the fact that they are in their mid 30's, approaching 40, with 1-2 young kids and they don't see any prospects of being able to afford property or apartments in Defence where the price of houses now is worth crores, beyond the reach of a salaried man.

A friend of mine is a property dealer and he tells me that the vast majority of people who are buying property in Defence apart from retired high level officers in the armed forces, rich Pakistani businessmen, CEO's, senior management in multi national corporations are overseas Pakistani's living, earning in the Middle East, West who can afford to buy land, houses in DHA.

Just to give you an example, our own house in KHI in Defence which is abandoned where we have employed a caretaker to look after it, if you add up his monthly salary, the utilities, taxes and repairs/maintenance, it is costing us Rs 100k a month for an abandoned house. You can pretty well imagine how much the living expenses are for people living in a house.

IK has to do something to reduce inflation
    Well, he does have 2 and a half years so let's see. However, the inflation is not his fault.