Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 38 of 38
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,855
    Mentioned
    2806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    "Abrupt postponement of PSL will have a hugely negative impact & could bankrupt it" : Najam Sethi

    Najam Sethi speaking to PP:

    You recall the tough hard decision I took to ban spot fixing players in the first PSL despite enormous pressure from the franchises and players. I remember Dino and Co begging me not to ban Sharjeel and Co. Today six tournaments later, there’s no cheating scandal!

    ==




    ===

    LAHORE: Former chairman Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Najam Sethi, the man who launched the HBL Pakistan Super League (PSL) six-year back and worked tirelessly to make it a world renowned brand, on Thursday lamented the way the league’s sixth chapter was deferred for an indefinite period due to seven Covid-19 cases and held the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) responsible for all the mess.

    Speaking to Dawn, Sethi said: “The abrupt postponement of HBL PSL 6 will have a hugely negative impact on the league’s future and reports coming out are saying that the PCB failed to ensure strict observation of the SOPs as several franchise owners and their relatives, the players and PCB officials were clearly seen violating the SOPs at the stadium and some of them were seen sitting in the dugout which is preposterous.”

    To a question Sethi agreed that the National Command Operation Centre (NCOC) should have been taken on board for supervising the implementation of its SOPs, since the PSL is a national brand and a successful holding of it would have greatly enhanced the country’s image .

    “Yes, if the NCOC had first permitted 20 per cent and then 50 per cent of spectators inside the stadium, and 100 per cent for the play-off matches, it should have deployed its own team to strictly ensure the Covid-19 protocols and the SOPs,” he argued.

    Sethi also pointed out that late last year, when the Pakistan team toured New Zealand, the entire tour was strictly monitored by their health ministry and New Zealand Cricket had no role as far as Covid-19 SOPs were concerned.

    “Look, the PCB has been involving a huge number of officials to provide security to the players and officials visiting Pakistan. In the same way NCOC must be involved in ensuring that everyone is following the SOPs as Covid-19 is a big threat for PSL, like any act of terrorism,” said Sethi.

    He lamented how on the very first day of the PSL 6, the PCB had taken a quick U-turn by allowing Peshawar Zalmi captain Wahab Riaz and coach Darren Sammy to be part of their squad despite the fact that both had violated the SOPs.

    When reminded that the PCB had clarified that appeals of Wahab and Sammy were accepted after they were tested negative along with their franchise owner Javed Latif, Sethi said as the symptoms of the disease could take several days to start the affect and for that purpose the isolation period of 10 to 14 days is advised by the experts. But in the cases of Wahab, Javed and Sammy, a quick U-turn was taken, violating the SOPs.

    When asked about how much he estimated could be the financial damage the PCB may suffer due to the abrupt deferment of the league, Sethi said at this stage no one could predict the estimated amount, but it would be too high as the issues with the broadcasters, sponsors, franchises, players and officials would be raised in large number over the financial losses and for their compensation etc.

    He said besides the financial losses, the trust deficit of all the stakeholders with the PCB may harm the credibility of the PSL and that might cause more damage to the league and create bad blood.

    Sethi added that his niece also visited the team’s hotel and later told him that in the lift of the hotel, she saw some cricketers freely meeting the guests staying at the hotel and giving autographs and that was enough to tell how strictly the SOPs were being followed by the players.

    He emphasised that massive damage control measure will be required to regain the confidence of all the stakeholders that the country had gained after tremendous efforts since 2015 which included hosting of Kenya, Zimbabwe, World XI, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, the MCC team and organisation of all the PSL matches in Pakistan last year.

    Later, in his Tweet, Sethi said: “We, the people, media, security agencies, franchises and players-built PSL brand with our sweat, blood and tears. The nation is reeling with despair and outraged at the criminal negligence by this PCB Admin that has disrupted the tournament.”

    Published in Dawn, March 5th, 2021
    Last edited by MenInG; 5th March 2021 at 20:21.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,855
    Mentioned
    2806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Name:  n1.JPG
Views: 1081
Size:  42.8 KB

    Name:  n2.JPG
Views: 1097
Size:  82.1 KB


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  3. #3
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    93,014
    Mentioned
    7283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Words of wisdom by the greatest PCB chief ever. Wish he was still in charge instead of the incompetent duo of Wasim and Mani.

    One can only imagine the disaster if this circus show was tasked with creating PSL and initiating the process of restoring international cricket in Pakistan.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    82,058
    Mentioned
    2160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Whatever your political views maybe, or whatever your views about Sethi may be, what he is saying is mostly true.

    He is pointing some basic flaws that were ignored by PCB and they have to be accountable for that.
    Last edited by Saj; 5th March 2021 at 19:52.



  5. #5
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    12,662
    Mentioned
    959 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    No, it won't!

    This is a worldwide crisis, so there is no reason to blow it out of proportion.

    Yeah, the rules applied should have been more strict, but the players are also at fault and especially the owners, they deserve the most flak.

    Also, the pcb successfully conducted the SA series without any hiccups.

    If something like an attack happened, then it would be a great shame not only for the pcb, but the whole nation and its security procedure.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    21,756
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Najam Sethi is the official father of the PSL.

    When he talks about the league, you listen.


    Have some Sehwag in your life.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    4,610
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Do not go to UAE, I disagree with him. We will never get players back to Pakistan if we make this move. Be strong and hold your ground.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    2,272
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    Do not go to UAE, I disagree with him. We will never get players back to Pakistan if we make this move. Be strong and hold your ground.
    Yes totally agree with this.
    Whole purpose of bringing overseas players to Pakistan may take a hit here .
    And PSL matches in UAE is one hell of a borefest
    & Future tour of England and other major nation may get in jeopardy as they may request to hold it in UAE itself
    Last edited by The cricket enthusiast; 5th March 2021 at 20:04.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    30,259
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Stop beating around the bushes

    Get your players vaccinated, and make sure all PSL participants are vaccinated ASAP! End the daily Testing once done. Secure the bubble for one season

  10. #10
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    8,074
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Secure the bubble , retest after 7 days and start over again with tested negative players. Clamp down on the franchise owners who think they are exempted from the rules

    No crowds to be allowed to the stadium , franchise owners to come in at a certain stand to watch and support their teams just like it happened in UAE.

    Make arrangements and strictly follow the rules to keep players and support staff safe.
    No mingling of individuals outside the bio bubble.

    Make 3 matches a day and finish the tournament on time.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    30,259
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    Secure the bubble , retest after 7 days and start over again with tested negative players. Clamp down on the franchise owners who think they are exempted from the rules

    No crowds to be allowed to the stadium , franchise owners to come in at a certain stand to watch and support their teams just like it happened in UAE.

    Make arrangements and strictly follow the rules to keep players and support staff safe.
    No mingling of individuals outside the bio bubble.

    Make 3 matches a day and finish the tournament on time.
    Is there a chance for PSL to restart before the South Africa series?

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    2,445
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    Do not go to UAE, I disagree with him. We will never get players back to Pakistan if we make this move. Be strong and hold your ground.
    Cases are worse in Dubai especially with a new strain going around.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    2,445
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Whatever your political views maybe, or whatever your views about Sethi may be, what he is saying is mostly true.

    He is pointing some basic flaws that were ignored by PCB and they have to be accountable for that.
    At the end of the day we can't be harsh and throw tomatoes at Wasim Khan because he's not Superman and you can't simply put the blame on one man. This is certainly very damaging and the image of cricket in Pakistan gets damaged, I mean one of the biggest questions is who approves a 3 day quarantine???? One of the fans in a sideline interview with Zainab said that he high fived one of the players, I mean if this isn't shocking then what is this??? Games should've been played behind closed doors because the covid crisis hasn't improved in Pakistan that you can relax everything. However, with one thing said don't do the PSL in UAE as their cases are worse than Pakistan.
    Last edited by MenInG; 5th March 2021 at 21:14.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    793
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Is there a chance for PSL to restart before the South Africa series?
    Media reports state that May is the only possible time where PSL can be staged because of the busy international schedule this year.
    Last edited by MenInG; 5th March 2021 at 21:29.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    22,331
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The Desi mentality of it will be okay led to the crisis.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    82,058
    Mentioned
    2160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day we can't be harsh and throw tomatoes at Wasim Khan because he's not Superman and you can't simply put the blame on one man.
    No I get that, but at the same time that doesn't mean that people shouldn't point out flaws, or mention oversights, and things PCB has got badly wrong.



  17. #17
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    1,499
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChTab View Post
    Media reports state that May is the only possible time where PSL can be staged because of the busy international schedule this year.
    But wont that clash with IPL?

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    30,259
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dildilpak View Post
    But wont that clash with IPL?
    Probably the right way to go about it.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,855
    Mentioned
    2806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    The Desi mentality of it will be okay led to the crisis.
    Optimism bias - not just a desi phenomena


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  20. #20
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    599
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Whatever your political views maybe, or whatever your views about Sethi may be, what he is saying is mostly true.

    He is pointing some basic flaws that were ignored by PCB and they have to be accountable for that.
    If anyone thinks this wouldn't happen under Najam Sethi, they are delusional. What happened this week has everything to do with a culture of self-entitlement which is rampant in Pakistan amongst within our Business Community, Celebrity Culture, Players, and Unfortunately within the Board. Everyone thinks they are a king and Najam Sethi is not outside that system. He is very much a part of it and has been for the vast majority of his life.


  21. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    599
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Words of wisdom by the greatest PCB chief ever. Wish he was still in charge instead of the incompetent duo of Wasim and Mani.

    One can only imagine the disaster if this circus show was tasked with creating PSL and initiating the process of restoring international cricket in Pakistan.
    I question your acumen and logic after this statement.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    82,058
    Mentioned
    2160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unemployedgm View Post
    If anyone thinks this wouldn't happen under Najam Sethi, they are delusional. What happened this week has everything to do with a culture of self-entitlement which is rampant in Pakistan amongst within our Business Community, Celebrity Culture, Players, and Unfortunately within the Board. Everyone thinks they are a king and Najam Sethi is not outside that system. He is very much a part of it and has been for the vast majority of his life.
    Impossible to say what would happen under which Chairman, but the point stands, he is making some obvious observations and pointing out glaring mistakes by PCB and the franchises.

    I totally agree with your point about the culture issue which is rampant within those that have made PSL their plaything - players, players families, franchise owners and their families and friends, hangers-on, PCB officials, those working in the PSL in various guises.
    Last edited by Saj; 5th March 2021 at 22:32.



  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    3,655
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    these tweets are exactly the reason he was so good

    people underrate him because of political bias but if he was working under IK

    you know he'd be treated with respect

  24. #24
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    38,101
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Going to the UAE will set a dangerous precedent. Hold it in Pakistan but make the bio secure bubble tough and outsource it

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    2,584
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    these tweets are exactly the reason he was so good

    people underrate him because of political bias but if he was working under IK

    you know he'd be treated with respect
    Make him CEO of PSL on twitter. This is what this bias chap truly deserves.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    36,973
    Mentioned
    1263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    these tweets are exactly the reason he was so good

    people underrate him because of political bias but if he was working under IK

    you know he'd be treated with respect
    He's also overrated because of political bias. Political bias is the only reason he was chairman, otherwise he had no cricket connection whatsoever.

    Desis typically are impressed by big flashy objects (PSL) so Sethi gets good PR from some, but the grassroots, domestic cricket, and standard of pitches and balls were deplorable under his watch and a big reason why we were tottering in 6th/7th place in the Test and ODI rankings whe he left.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    93,014
    Mentioned
    7283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unemployedgm View Post
    I question your acumen and logic after this statement.
    Maybe you shouldn’t. I saw through the incompetence of Wasim Khan long ago and time has proved me right.

    The justification that it would have happened under XYZ as well etc. is pointless. The reality is that it happened on the watch of Wasim Khan and he needs to be held accountable.

    PCB committed elementary errors and exhibited remarkable level of carelessness. We clearly did not see the so-called professionalism that Wasim Khan was supposed to bring.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    21,143
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some really good points made my Najam Sethi. Outsourcing it to a third part which he has recommended is pretty solid argument as Ministry of health or other organization and setups working in the field of health would definitely would have had better understanding of the how to form a bio secure bubble as they have been worked a lot over the last year with regards to Covid 19.

    Regarding the negative impact, it would be pretty surprising if there are no insurance covers and other such contingency arrangements in place for such events which can potentially happen in the current world scenario.

    With regards to how PSL has grown as a brand over the years, I dont think its gonna go bankrupt with this. If franchises would want out, PCB would potentially be able to sell/ lease out these franchises at a higher value like when they sold MS (30 odd bidders) in the 3rd edition for almost 2-3 times the value of previous most expensive franchise. As the first step to launch PSL was the biggest one as there were a lot of uncertainties around at that time.

    Now the market has seen what it has become as a product so so I dont think the franchise owners would wont to back out at this stage when their value is much more and they can earn quite a decent sum in coming years and if I am not wrong they dont even own the franchises directly, its sort of a lease which they have while the main rights fall with the PCB.
    Last edited by Titan24; 5th March 2021 at 23:16.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    2,445
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Probably the right way to go about it.
    No, cause you'll get some players going to IPL for the money and you'll also lose viewership, India currently broadcasts the PSL on Sony so that will also be damaging.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    797
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was so looking forward to watching something during this lockdown but the PCB's stupidity will make my mental health suffer even more as if during the lockdown it hasnt suffered already, I will sue the PCB for this.

  31. #31
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    4,785
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Stop beating around the bushes

    Get your players vaccinated, and make sure all PSL participants are vaccinated ASAP! End the daily Testing once done. Secure the bubble for one season
    You do know you can catch COVID after getting vaccinated?

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    30,259
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sshakir411 View Post
    You do know you can catch COVID after getting vaccinated?
    Well then let’s not get Vaccinated?

  33. #33
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,855
    Mentioned
    2806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Sethi very active as the political temperature in the country rises - seems a well coordinated move. However, putting politics aside, what he is saying is commonsense.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  34. #34
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    38,101
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Sethi very active as the political temperature in the country rises - seems a well coordinated move. However, putting politics aside, what he is saying is commonsense.
    Yes and No. It sounds more like it's what he wants to happen so that his reign looks good. The PCB survived the fall out last year and will survive this time as well, just give it a couple of months

  35. #35
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    14,350
    Mentioned
    966 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Yes and No. It sounds more like it's what he wants to happen so that his reign looks good. The PCB survived the fall out last year and will survive this time as well, just give it a couple of months


    so sethi caused the positive cases.

    This is like sayhing Imran wanted PSL to fail during the PMLN govt.


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  36. #36
    Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    1,938
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Some great points made by Sethi.. Wish the PCB bosses are hearing

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    93,014
    Mentioned
    7283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post


    so sethi caused the positive cases.

    This is like sayhing Imran wanted PSL to fail during the PMLN govt.
    Imran was itching for PSL to flop. He even went out of his way to criticize and disrespect the foreign players and called them “railu kattas” just because he was disappointed that the foreign players were trusting Pakistan’s security.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,855
    Mentioned
    2806 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Think the failure on political front is going to hurt many - so expect a lot of Imran this and that now.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •