User Tag List

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outrage in India over latest 'honour killing' as father beheads daughter after finding her with man

Outrage in India over latest 'honour killing' as father beheads daughter after finding her with man

Outrage over so-called honour killings in India has been reignited after a father who found his daughter in a "compromising position" with a man severed her head with an axe - and then took it to his local police station.

The man walked through the streets of Hardoi district in northern Uttar Pradesh state carrying his daughter's head, confessed to what he had done upon his arrival at the station, and was arrested, police said.

Superintendent Anurag Vats told the Thomson Reuters Foundation: "The man said he saw his daughter in a compromising position with a man and he beheaded her in a fit of rage."

Shocking images of him carrying the 17-year-old girl's head through the streets of Uttar Pradesh were shared online, reigniting urgent calls for the introduction of laws specifically dealing with so-called honour killings.

Madhu Garg, vice president of the All India Democratic Women Association's Uttar Pradesh branch, said: "The issue of the right to choice needs immediate attention and a separate law should be made for dealing with honour killing."

Human rights groups say thousands of women and girls are killed across South Asia and the Middle East each year by family members angered at perceived damage to their "honour".

Perceived offences can include eloping, fraternising with men, or any transgression of staunchly conservative values regarding women.

Last month, a woman was burnt alive by her family members over an inter-faith relationship in Uttar Pradesh, local media reported, quoting police officials.

India officially recorded 24 honour killings in 2019, but campaigners say government statistics on honour killing mask
    the true scale of the crime, with women at greater risk than men.

Almost 70% of honour killings in India are women, according to Arockiya Samy Kathir, the founder of non-profit campaigning group Evidence, which has for years worked on honour killings in south India.

In 2018, the Indian government asked all states to set up special cells comprising of police and welfare officers, as well as a 24-hour helpline, to help couples facing harassment or those seeking protection.

But campaigners say compliance has been poor.

High-profile cases of violence against women in India have sparked mass protests in recent years, although many of them are not related to honour killings.

https://news.sky.com/story/outrage-i...h-man-12236436

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Horrific crime.

More like a crime of anger than anything else.

An honour killing would imply a calculated punishment for a matter of honour?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    You can only wonder at the mindset which is prevalent in these societies where a man has no problem taking an axe to his own daughter and then carrying the head to a police station. This idea that somehow honour is being valued by this sort of rage needs to be well and truly debunked.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    688 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Unable to control my anger, hope he is hanged. Also Hardoi is one of the worst places on earth, canít believe Amir Khanís ancestors are from there.

Debut
    Dec 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disgusting. Crazy to think honour culture is still such a thing, and even proliferates amongst British Indian (and other South Asian) communities.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    This is really disgusting. I didnít know people were capable of such things. Own daughter

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    This is really disgusting. I didn’t know people were capable of such things. Own daughter
    +1

Killing your own child.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is terrible.

Society has to do better, it is society that conditions these stupid honour culture **, with gossip and stupid toxic traditions..put that garbage in the mind of deranged individuals and this is the result.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    BIMARU gonna BIMARU.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Unable to control my anger, hope he is hanged. Also Hardoi is one of the worst places on earth, can’t believe Amir Khan’s ancestors are from there.
    This is what happens when the degeneracy promoted by bollywood clashes with age old conservative living of the villages.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    BIMARU gonna BIMARU.
    This always makes me feel better so thanks.Just those damn BIMARUs again, let's shake our heads and move along.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This dad has crossed the line. No doubt.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 6th March 2021 at 17:28.

Bangladeshi Fan || [B]

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Some notable absent PP stalwarts from this thread, I would suggest that for those actively avoiding, please consider that cruelty is not limited to the Pakistani minorities of your particular choice. This girl could have been a christian or a hindu or an ahmadi in another time or place. Or even hong kong based or Peshawar for that matter.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Unable to control my anger, hope he is hanged. Also Hardoi is one of the worst places on earth, canít believe Amir Khanís ancestors are from there.
    Which Amir Khan? Bollywood actor?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    BIMARU gonna BIMARU.
    The U in BIMARU is the worst place on earth. These guys have also polluted Delhi.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    688 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Which Amir Khan? Bollywood actor?
    Yea..I guess it has good history but clearly a dump now.

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli