Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,350
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    A detailed analysis of the PSL 6 fiasco and an honest review by the PCB is the need of the hour

    Our latest Beyond the Boundary article examines the issues leading to the postponement of PSL 6 and how the PCB can rescue the image of Pakistan cricket.




    The nightmare that COVID-19 has presented to the world shows no signs of abating. Yes, the vaccines to combat this infection are present and we are told that battle to rid this calamity is well underway, but the fact of the matter is that COVID-19 or its many variants are here to stay with us for the foreseeable future. No amount of optimism bias will get rid of this reality and this is where we, as fans of Pakistan cricket and those who have been tasked to run the game in the country, need to gather our thoughts and understand what needs to be done to preserve the game we all love.


    The PSL 6 fiasco – the slow train wreck we all saw coming – or did we?

    The Pakistan domestic cricket season featuring 6 First and 6 Second XI sides was played without any major incidents which included the National T20 Cup, the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy and the Pakistan Cup (One-Day). It appeared that the PCB understood the demands when it came to organizing safe environments for players and officials. The Limited-overs series against Zimbabwe in October and the Test series again South Africa also went off without any incident and provided further proof that the PCB had its arrangements in order. The next big challenge was PSL 6 and given the organization of similar multi-team domestic tournaments, the PCB seemed to be well prepared for the upcoming challenge.

    Whilst many who knew of the inner workings of the PCB and indeed of many institutions in Pakistan, where the “chalta hai” (it all works out in the end) culture has been the reason for many failures in the past, were concerned about the efficacy of the bio-secure bubble for the PSL, the overwhelming feeling was that the SOPs for such an undertaking were well looked after by the PCB. All eyes were now on the tournament and the host of foreign players who had arrived in Pakistan. Add to that the fairly impressive broadcast deals that PCB had lined up for this tournament, the PSL was set to take off as it never had in its 5 earlier seasons.


    Lights, Camera, and gimmicks and some questions on the bio-security of the bubble!

    To those who have watched this tournament since its inception in 2016, the sixth edition of the tournament which began on 20th February, seemed to have an energy of its own. Of course, the full houses were missing due to the 20% audience restriction enforced by the country’s authorities (later increased to 50%), but the quality of performances and the competitive edge was amazing. The tournament seemed to have won the hearts and minds of many of us but lingering doubts about what the nature of the bio-secure bubble really meant were worrying many. To start with, despite the threat of COVID-19, there seemed to be a strange sense of normalcy in the proceedings. The odd manner in which Wahab Riaz and Daren Sammy were reintegrated into the Peshawar Zalmi bubble after clearly breaking rules, the “Humaray Heroes” segments, the interviews with celebrities as well as other hangers-on at groundside and pictures of owners sitting next to players – all seemed wrong given the strict protocols that should have been in place. And there were murmurs in the media too about food being brought into the airtight bubbles and reports of players stepping out of the bubble for PR activity on behalf of their respective franchises. All of this would have been fine in normal circumstances, but the dangers posed by such activities in times of the COVID-19 threat were too big to ignore.


    Fawad Ahmed's dubious debut as first COVID-19 case in PSL 6 and the beginning of the end

    And so it came to past, that on the 1st March, the game between Islamabad United and Quetta Gladiators was first delayed and then postponed to the following day after it was revealed that Fawad Ahmed had tested positive for COVID-19. Loud alarm bells should have rung in the heads of those tasked with the safety of players about how in a bio-secure environment which was sealed from the world around it, a player had contracted this virus almost 9 days after the start of the tournament. The situation was getting worse now with PCB’s announcement that further positive cases had been found amongst the 244 or so players and officials who had had been tested. Thursday 4th March is when it all came to a head. The day began with news that Dan Christian of Karachi Kings had left the PSL and a few hours later, the PCB had made the announcement that many had suspected would ensue soon. 7 individuals had contracted the virus and PSL 6 after consultation with the franchises had been postponed in the face of a very real threat of infection for all concerned.


    The blame-game, finger pointing begins

    The press conference organized by the PCB to explain the reasons behind the suspension of PSL 6 was aimed at damage control, but it had the opposite effect. The CE of PCB, Wasim Khan sought to project a picture of unity with the franchises but as the press conference wore on, it became clear that PCB and the franchises were not seeing eye to eye on this matter. It emerged that Chris Lynn had a selfie taken with a fan at the hotel where access was severely restricted, views from the Karachi Kings and Lahore Qalandars camps had come to light that questioned PCB’s SOP enforcement or lack thereof, followed by statements by the former PCB Chairman, Najam Sethi which provided stark and damaging insights to the matter. Whilst the danger to players’ well-being seemed to have been averted, the role of the PCB in this very real PR and possibly financial disaster was becoming uncomfortably clear.


    The worst disaster to beset Pakistan cricket in many years

    Wasim Khan was at pains to project a positive take the issue with claims that the tournament could be resumed sometime this year. But even the most optimistic amongst us could see that this would be a tough task. Quite apart from the logistics of re-organizing the tournament to the satisfaction of all parties, the real danger from potentially the worst disaster to beset Pakistan cricket in many years is one that should be the prime concern. The damage to sponsors and franchises in terms of reputation and financial aspects is very real – as is the chance that teams such as England and Australia will give up on any plans to visit Pakistan, citing the inability of the PCB to organize an environment which is a pre-requisite in today’s COVID-19 world.


    A detailed analysis of the PSL 6 fiasco and an honest review by the PCB is the need of the hour

    What happens now will depend a lot on how PCB go about investigating the reasons behind the PSL 6 fiasco. Apart from the lessons learnt, the most important aspect of this inquiry will be how those found responsible for this situation will be dealt with. Clear and concise actions are what are needed to avert a similar disaster in the future – brushing the issues under the proverbial carpet as was done after the Sri Lanka terror attack will result in irreparable damage to the reputation of Pakistan cricket.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    3,886
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cannot agree enough. Anything less than a full inquiry will be detrimental to Pakistani cricket.

    I had fought Pakistani players corner when they breached the bubble in NZ tour. At that time it was innocent mistakes.

    This is a systemic failure with major repercussions.

    Pakistanis are their own worst enemies when it comes to global impressions.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    228
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was the PCBs responsibility to ensure the integrity of the biosecure bubble.

    Not the franchises, not the players, but the PCB. If you find someone breaching bubble protocol fine them, send them home. If you give franchises/players the slightest inclination that they can get away with a bubble breach then it will continue to happen.

    Overall, it seems the PCB themselves did not know how to operate and maintain a biosecure environment. If the reports are true and the hotel was indeed open for the public, then that environment was not even biosecure to begin with. How you can sell the notion of a biosecure environment and then proceed to not even have one to begin with is a complete joke and blunder by an already incompetent PCB.

    The PCB was way out of their depth, and their medical advisory board had no clue how to deal with both COVID and how to create an environment safe for cricket.

  4. #4
    Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    22,053
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hashimafzal View Post
    It was the PCBs responsibility to ensure the integrity of the biosecure bubble.

    Not the franchises, not the players, but the PCB. If you find someone breaching bubble protocol fine them, send them home. If you give franchises/players the slightest inclination that they can get away with a bubble breach then it will continue to happen.

    Overall, it seems the PCB themselves did not know how to operate and maintain a biosecure environment. If the reports are true and the hotel was indeed open for the public, then that environment was not even biosecure to begin with. How you can sell the notion of a biosecure environment and then proceed to not even have one to begin with is a complete joke and blunder by an already incompetent PCB.

    The PCB was way out of their depth, and their medical advisory board had no clue how to deal with both COVID and how to create an environment safe for cricket.
    Too narrow minded of a view. These teams/owners are not kids. They know the rules and respect them. There is enough evidence to know they did not follow them, themselves. The owners DO NOT care about the safety of their players. If they did, they would not enter and leave the bubble. Plain and simple.

    Their goal is to pass blame to PCB. Sue them and say they are at fault. At no point should PCB accept FULL blame for this fiasco. Yes, they should have policed better but the same owners would have cried about not getting access and threaten to pull their team/money mid-tournament (aka Javed Afridi and destroy long-term integrity of competition like BPL who don't pay their players).

    PCB could have done better. But I know more than anything, majority of blame is on the owners. They flaunted the rules. When a work around solution of 5 days with testing was suggested (could have doubled up games to catch up) - they passed. Why? They didn't want blame. Nor did they want to be confined to bubble or outside of it. Majority of players were away from family, so little threat of it spreading to gen pop if you keep a tighter lid on hotel. There was a VERY workable solution which the owners denied because they knew they were going to get blasted by media in first place for their behaviour. Much easier to call off and lay all blame at PCB and sue them.

    I have no sympathy for the likes of Salman Iqbal (I am from Karachi) or Javed Afridi.


    No one likes me cause I am a Paul Heyman guy.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    228
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    Too narrow minded of a view. These teams/owners are not kids. They know the rules and respect them. There is enough evidence to know they did not follow them, themselves. The owners DO NOT care about the safety of their players. If they did, they would not enter and leave the bubble. Plain and simple.

    Their goal is to pass blame to PCB. Sue them and say they are at fault. At no point should PCB accept FULL blame for this fiasco. Yes, they should have policed better but the same owners would have cried about not getting access and threaten to pull their team/money mid-tournament (aka Javed Afridi and destroy long-term integrity of competition like BPL who don't pay their players).

    PCB could have done better. But I know more than anything, majority of blame is on the owners. They flaunted the rules. When a work around solution of 5 days with testing was suggested (could have doubled up games to catch up) - they passed. Why? They didn't want blame. Nor did they want to be confined to bubble or outside of it. Majority of players were away from family, so little threat of it spreading to gen pop if you keep a tighter lid on hotel. There was a VERY workable solution which the owners denied because they knew they were going to get blasted by media in first place for their behaviour. Much easier to call off and lay all blame at PCB and sue them.

    I have no sympathy for the likes of Salman Iqbal (I am from Karachi) or Javed Afridi.
    Who let Salman Iqbal inside the bubble? I thought the entire point of the bubble was to prevent outside contamination to reach within. If someone can just go in and out without any consequence then I am sorry the bubble has failed.

    Franchise owners should have been informed pre tournament that either they go inside the bubble like the rest of the players, or they stay away for the entirety of the tournament. If they don't adhere to these rules there will be xyz punishment. If they know they can get away with things and hold the PCB hostage then the PCB had no power to begin with.

    Also I believe it was called off because foreign players felt unsafe and wanted to go back home.

  6. #6
    Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    22,053
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hashimafzal View Post
    Who let Salman Iqbal inside the bubble? I thought the entire point of the bubble was to prevent outside contamination to reach within. If someone can just go in and out without any consequence then I am sorry the bubble has failed.

    Franchise owners should have been informed pre tournament that either they go inside the bubble like the rest of the players, or they stay away for the entirety of the tournament. If they don't adhere to these rules there will be xyz punishment. If they know they can get away with things and hold the PCB hostage then the PCB had no power to begin with.

    Also I believe it was called off because foreign players felt unsafe and wanted to go back home.
    If only it was that simple. Like I said in my post, these owners would have cried about being denied access. We already saw Javed Afridi literally pull this crap on the first day. Imagine a owner says I am pulling my team and guess what, I am not paying you. Ok, the Pakistanis would go on with their lives but the league would have a rep that owners don't pay their players. This is why BPL sucks.

    Delaying the tournament for 5 days is salvagable. MLB and English PL do it when teams show COVID. But pulling your team or this - this is going to be tough to come back from.


    No one likes me cause I am a Paul Heyman guy.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post
    If only it was that simple. Like I said in my post, these owners would have cried about being denied access. We already saw Javed Afridi literally pull this crap on the first day. Imagine a owner says I am pulling my team and guess what, I am not paying you. Ok, the Pakistanis would go on with their lives but the league would have a rep that owners don't pay their players. This is why BPL sucks.

    Delaying the tournament for 5 days is salvagable. MLB and English PL do it when teams show COVID. But pulling your team or this - this is going to be tough to come back from.
    So what if the owners cried?

    It is the responsibility of the PCB to maintain a bio-secure bubble.

    The buck stops there.

    If they are inept - which they woefully are - they need to involve greater government resources.

    The owners could ask to go for team dinners, parties, dawaatein etc. Should they be allowed? The owners don't run things. The PCB does. Therefore the responsibility lies with the PCB.

    Look at how nzc handled protocols when we toured. Did they ask the Pakistani team to police themselves? No. Because that would be disastrous.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,350
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The real test is the inquiry - needs to happen very quick.

    The BoG needs to spring into action - get an emergency meeting done - get to the bottom of this and see what remedial action needs to be done.

    You cannot allow the same people who messed up this PSL to do the same again!


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  9. #9
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,350
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The financial implications are kicking in now

    As per media report based on sources:


    “If we look at financial aspects only the luggage cost of a team is Rs10 million"

    "And when these players reassemble again to complete the event equipment of Rs10m will have to be purchased.

    “The players get 70 percent of their payment in advance and the remaining 30 percent is given to them after the completion of the event," the source said.

    "Besides this franchises also bear their air-fare expenses. In case the event is resumed air-fare cost will double."


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  10. #10
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    38,047
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Yaar, Pakistanis are the absolute worst when it comes to ******** themselves in the face of adversity. Take a chill pill. The PSL has been played in the UAE for 4 years, it was disrupted last year and the PCB found a work around.

    Yes this is an unforgivable debacle but hopefully the PCB will quickly learn from this, regroup and find a window which a much better bio secure plan.

    And give me a break, Rs 10 million is affordable for these Franchise owners. It is because of their arrogance, negligence, entitlement attitude this debable happened and therefore they should pay for it

  11. #11
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,350
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    News reports say that Dr. Sohail Saleem has resigned based upon criticism about his role in the PSL 6 fiasco.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  12. #12
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,350
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    News reports say that Dr. Sohail Saleem has resigned based upon criticism about his role in the PSL 6 fiasco.

    As per PCB spokesman:

    Dr Sohail has offered to step down, which will be considered by the Chairman/CEO in due course.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  13. #13
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,350
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)



    Name:  doc_sohail.JPG
Views: 13593
Size:  48.8 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 6th March 2021 at 20:19.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  14. #14
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    14,228
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pathetic by Waseem Khan.

    He is going to force the doctor to take the blame


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  15. #15
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,350
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Pathetic by Waseem Khan.

    He is going to force the doctor to take the blame
    The doctor has a job to do. He failed, he resigned.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  16. #16
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    22,252
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Pathetic by Waseem Khan.

    He is going to force the doctor to take the blame
    How do you know of the Doctor did his job?

  17. #17
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    38,047
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The doctor should have been forced to resign given his track record of handling player injuries and rehabilitation, let alone this psl fiasco

  18. #18
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,350
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    For reference, this is what a proper bio-secure arrangement is about.

    ===


    British technology firm Restrata supported Abu Dhabi Cricket in the delivery of the Abu Dhabi T10 and bilateral series in the UAE by providing a biosecure environment across all locations including stadia, hotel and transport.

    The Abu Dhabi T10, as the competition is commonly known, is the only International Cricket Council (ICC) 10-over sanctioned competition worldwide, and ran from January 28 to February 6.

    As a provider for the Abu Dhabi T10, the Restrata Covid-Safe Platform offered a biosecure bubble environment that kept players, match officials, stadium and hotel staff isolated during the competition period, so as to reduce the risk posed by Covid-19.

    The Restrata Platform hardware was installed across all tournament hotels, stadia and transport, providing the complete biosecure solution. The platform offered huge benefits to the competition at a time when the sport industry has been facing severe challenges; this included social distancing; instant contact tracing (were any positive Covid-19 cases to arise, thus reducing exposure to risk and allowing time to take action), access restrictions (including zone management and capacity limits at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium), communications, symptom screening, and creating capacity limits and the chance to ensure a bio-secure bubble, said a statement.

    A data-driven approach to reporting was enacted which ensured the tournament fully complied with UAE Government protocols. Data was gathered and shared in real time, thereby helping ensure effective communication between players and staff and provide a common operating picture for all management and staff which, in turn, helped minimise the risk of Covid-19 at the tournament. Restrata also offered 24/7 monitoring and support throughout the duration of the tournament.

    The Abu Dhabi T10 was the latest sporting competition to benefit from Restrata’s Covid-Safe platform, which was deployed successfully to deliver the relocated IPL 2020, the first biosecure test series between England and West Indies, held behind closed doors in July, and then repeated during other England fixtures, including the series against Pakistan, Ireland and Australia, and for the successful Twenty 20 fans trial at the Kia Oval Cricket Ground between Surrey and Hampshire, which saw fans given Covid-Safe fobs as part of the UK Government’s return of spectators to live sport strategy. Aside from sports, Restrata has successfully supported countless businesses and critical industries by managing workforce safety and to help them get back to work by deploying the Restrata Platform + Covid Safe technology.

    Matt Boucher, CEO, Abu Dhabi Cricket, said: “Ever since the global pandemic first struck, Restrata has built up a strong track record of stepping in for the greater good of sport by providing a technology platform that puts player and tournament stakeholder safety first. It was great working with Restrata on the 2020 Abu Dhabi T10 and the bilateral series involving UAE, Ireland and Afghanistan held here at Zayed Cricket Stadium. Restrata helped us manage our quarantine program, zoning at the stadium, capacity limits, isolation restrictions and procedures, which allowed the series to run smoothly by allowing the players and support staff to concentrate on the cricket."

    Botan Osman, Chief Executive Officer of Restrata, said: “I am delighted that Restrata provided a safe, biosecure bubble environment for players, officials and staff at this year’s Abu Dhabi T10 – the only ICC-sanctioned 10-over competition in the world - and I commend the leadership of Abu Dhabi Cricket for adapting to the risk and integrating this system efficiently to allow the competition to go ahead and put safety first.

    “In providing our Platform for the Abu Dhabi T10, it was of paramount importance that players, officials and staff knew that our cutting-edge technology was there to provide them with confidence and safeguard their wellbeing – to put their safety first.

    “It is increasingly clear that technology has a critical role to play in the continued return of confidence to the global sport industry and wider business industry, and we at Restrata continue to be passionate about helping the sector recover from this pandemic throughout 2021.” -TradeArabia News Service


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  19. #19
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    14,228
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    The doctor has a job to do. He failed, he resigned.
    If the world was as simple than i think alot of people would be resigning.

    It was the admins job to place proper rules in place. Waseem Khan bowed to Javed Afridi. Waseem Khan had no idea what was happening.

    Salman Iqbal is such a lunatic that he himself says that he entered the bubble to investigate the conditions. Why the hell was he allowed to enter the bubble in the first place?

    Waseem Khan bottled this one. THey are going to make this doctor a scape goat, but Waseem Khan will be packing now.

    Forget cricket, there was alot of investment that got wasted.

    Now lets see what HBL is going to do. HBL had to suffer last time aswell, and this time witht he fault being PCB's, HBL might pull out of title sponsoership, or they might even ask PCB to allow open market bidding take place for the next title sponsorship.

    Now if open market bidding takes placed after 2 suspended PSLs, the value of the tile sponsorship might drop.

    The doctor won't be blamed for the Title sponsorship, it would be Waseem Khan who would get blamed.

    This is going to become a very big issue in the coming days. Islamabad might sell of their franchise I believe.


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  20. #20
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    14,228
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    How do you know of the Doctor did his job?
    Because when Javed Afridi was hanging out with players, the doctor wou;dn't say anything to him, it would have to be the pcb administration.

    PCB is the admin, not the doctor.

    Waseem Khan will try to save himself by making someone a scapegoat. He tried to act as he was on board with all the team owners, but everyone was angry.

    Waseem Khan is eyeing a contract renewal, but this damage is way big, and we need some authoritative figure to control this for now.

    Ijazz Butt was a lunatic, but even Ijazz Butt knew how to keep everyone in line. The guy would throw a show cause notice to any player who said anything stupid in the media.

    It makes you wonder that had Waseem Khan been in place of Najem Sethi, than would the likes of SHarjeel and Nasir Jamshed been allowed to play cricket or not.


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~


  21. #21
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    3,688
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats another big fish downed, might as well be worth the psl postponement, so many failures to rehab players.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    36,877
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Because when Javed Afridi was hanging out with players, the doctor wou;dn't say anything to him, it would have to be the pcb administration.

    PCB is the admin, not the doctor.

    Waseem Khan will try to save himself by making someone a scapegoat. He tried to act as he was on board with all the team owners, but everyone was angry.

    Waseem Khan is eyeing a contract renewal, but this damage is way big, and we need some authoritative figure to control this for now.

    Ijazz Butt was a lunatic, but even Ijazz Butt knew how to keep everyone in line. The guy would throw a show cause notice to any player who said anything stupid in the media.

    It makes you wonder that had Waseem Khan been in place of Najem Sethi, than would the likes of SHarjeel and Nasir Jamshed been allowed to play cricket or not.
    Yes we all saw how Ijaz Butt kept everyone in line with his smooth handling of the aftermath of the 2009 Lahore attacks (attacking the umpires who criticised the lax security) and 2010 spot fixing scandal accusing English team of fixing with zero proof.

    Do you believe this rubbish you spout sometimes ?

  23. #23
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    14,228
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Yes we all saw how Ijaz Butt kept everyone in line with his smooth handling of the aftermath of the 2009 Lahore attacks (attacking the umpires who criticised the lax security) and 2010 spot fixing scandal accusing English team of fixing with zero proof.

    Do you believe this rubbish you spout sometimes ?
    Ijazz Butt was a lunatic, but he kept his players in line. He took no-nonsense whether they were a big star or whoever that player was.


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  24. #24
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,350
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    News reports quoting PCB head of media:

    “Although, we do have general insurance for players participating in PSL 6, fact is that Covid-19 pandemic is affecting sports events around the world which is why the insurance company was not willing to provide any cover for it"


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  25. #25
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    365
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Yes we all saw how Ijaz Butt kept everyone in line with his smooth handling of the aftermath of the 2009 Lahore attacks (attacking the umpires who criticised the lax security) and 2010 spot fixing scandal accusing English team of fixing with zero proof.
    Ijaz Butt did that?

    Coz I vividly remember Javed Miandad wanted action to be taken against the umpires for criticising the security. And who can forget Pak’s Ambassador to UK in 2010- Wajid Shamsul Hasan. He went to British TV & accused the English team of fixing. He later apologised after the English team threatened to sue.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    1,627
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    If the world was as simple than i think alot of people would be resigning.

    It was the admins job to place proper rules in place. Waseem Khan bowed to Javed Afridi. Waseem Khan had no idea what was happening.

    Salman Iqbal is such a lunatic that he himself says that he entered the bubble to investigate the conditions. Why the hell was he allowed to enter the bubble in the first place?

    Waseem Khan bottled this one. THey are going to make this doctor a scape goat, but Waseem Khan will be packing now.

    Forget cricket, there was alot of investment that got wasted.

    Now lets see what HBL is going to do. HBL had to suffer last time aswell, and this time witht he fault being PCB's, HBL might pull out of title sponsoership, or they might even ask PCB to allow open market bidding take place for the next title sponsorship.

    Now if open market bidding takes placed after 2 suspended PSLs, the value of the tile sponsorship might drop.

    The doctor won't be blamed for the Title sponsorship, it would be Waseem Khan who would get blamed.

    This is going to become a very big issue in the coming days. Islamabad might sell of their franchise I believe.
    The Medical Panel was incompetent, this resignation was long overdue.

    The Medical Panel is supposed to be composed of various people specializing in sports sciences, but with a pandemic, it has to have a group of disease specialists regarding viral infections and more. On top of that, there must be medical advisors which report to the head of the Medical Panel with their thoughts and what should happen. The Medical Panel must then approach the CEO of the PCB to determine what rules and regulations exist.

    The Medical Advisors in the PCB thought that a 3-day quarantine period was suitable, when in reality, 3-5 days is just the incubation period for the virus. Symptoms and test results can only be trusted after 7 days, that too as a minimum. That was the first of many blunders. Secondly, it was not the PCB CEO Wasim Khan who chose to book out half of a hotel, it was due to the knowledge he received from the Medical Panel who believed that they could succeed in that aspect with only half a hotel. That was the second blunder.

    Now, the man-to-man management of the Medical Panel was atrocious. The Medical Panel in times of a virus or a pandemic needs to make sure that players are well informed about what happens, and they need to make sure that man-to-man management is at the best level because contact tracing only occurs with a clear record and history of where the individual has been and who the individual has come in contact with. They failed in this aspect as well.

    Now, let's look at the failures of the PCB in general. The Hamare Heroes sideline show allowed people not existing within the bubble to interact with the players. Similarly, the PCB bowed down to Javed Afridi, and even the franchises were braindead, particularly LQ for playing a COVID-19 positive Haris Rauf. Similarly, Fawad Ahmed, even after demonstrating symptoms of COVID-19, was still allowed to have breakfast with the IU squad. That's the man-to-man management failing there again. Next, the players who are COVID positive had their identities undisclosed. In a private illness which cannot be contracted by others, doctors and the medical panel are allowed to keep secrecy with the patient. However, if these players have diseases which are transmittable, it is the duty of the medical panel to inform the rest of the players and staff so that they can know if they were in contact, or if someone else was in contact with that other player. After the first two cases in two separate franchises (Banton + Fawad), the PSL should have been delayed so that the PCB Medical Panel could investigate sources and possible players who contracted the virus. If there were suspicions that there were players who could have contracted the virus, the players should have been sidelined as the incubation period is 3-5 days, and the symptoms start showing near 7 days.

    The PCB failed in all aspects hosting the PSL, and those were just the mistakes they made. Let me talk about the loss of investments like you mentioned.

    Firstly, the PSL's brand name and value has been hit severely. Already the team sponsors are not of high international quality, and with such a hit, it has only shown that teams might lose sponsors and a chunk of investment along with it.

    Secondly, franchises invested time and money into the league, and are probably running on deficits at the moment, so there's that issue as well.

    Furthermore, the PSL secured broadcasting deals from Sky Sports, Sony Ten, PTV Sports, and more. These broadcasters will only pay their due increment when the entire PSL is completed, and so the payment delays are present. Furthermore, there is a possibility (not likely IMO) that some of the broadcasters could pull out of their deals if they think that they aren't making enough revenue. I doubt this will happen because of Pakistan's packed international schedule ahead of the T20 World Cup.

    Lastly, there is one aspect where the PCB has failed miserably and that is on the image and reputation of Pakistan being able to host international cricket, especially if this pandemic is prolonged. After successful efforts of bringing SL, BD, SAF, ZIM to Pakistan, we needed a well-managed PSL to bring more teams here without fear of COVID-19. We failed in this aspect, and we should all hope that international teams still send their squads to play, otherwise there will be further financial problems.

    The best way to bring back the reputation of PSL is through the fans. If PSL can attract the fans once more, then the revenue will start coming back, and through fans there will be more international attention, allowing the PCB to preserve their broadcasting deals and hopefully not repeat the same mistakes again.

    Yet, someone has to be answerable for this, whether it's Wasim Khan, Ehsan Mani, or the Medical Panel. Maybe all three.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    203
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chaos, blame game, incompetence, setting up of a comittee, panel . Normal services have resumed for Pakistan Cricket.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    4,092
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCB will find itself in a financial mess very soon if its not careful.

    This is not an 'act of god' incident that could not have been avoided, but a direct result of incompetence/ mismanagement. So don't expect some insurance claim handout deals.

    Therefore no one in the business value chain is going to be in a forgiving mood. The advertisers naturally will not pay the broadcasters. The broadcasters (especially outside Pakistan) will be counting their own losses (especially since they now have a huge programming hole to fill) and, far from not paying PCB for broadcast rights, may even be exploring asking the Pakistan board for recompense.

    The franchises will suffer a double whammy- no revenues, and the possibility for more losses as they try and tidy this up. I was reading on PP somewhere that they were only expecting break even this season. Well that's not going to b set back at least a season, maybe 2 or 3.

    I haven't even considered the financial impact of brand erosion, potential loss of faith from foreign participants.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    698
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    News reports quoting PCB head of media:

    “Although, we do have general insurance for players participating in PSL 6, fact is that Covid-19 pandemic is affecting sports events around the world which is why the insurance company was not willing to provide any cover for it"
    Then what the insurance company is for?

  30. #30
    Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    136
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really not ideal and i'm sure the protocols could have been stronger / better implemented but I refuse to believe the franchise owners and players do not share some responsibility too. It's the easy option to blame the PCB - people also have to take responsibility.

    I do feel however that people are going a bit overboard and acting as if hell will freeze over now. It won't, there have been other sporting events in the last year where there have been covid outbreaks. Cudos to PCB for acting decisively.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    43,846
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What will be the consequences of all this mishandling for cricket in pakistan , after successfully hosting south africa pakistan was hoping to host more teams.

    I wonder if any board will be willing to send their players to pakistan after this.

    The chairman pcb must resign after this blatant failure

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,350
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I am very interested in knowing how the inquiry will go about their job. Will they question people under oath or will they be given useless information to make their judgement on?


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  33. #33
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    38,047
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    I am very interested in knowing how the inquiry will go about their job. Will they question people under oath or will they be given useless information to make their judgement on?
    They have been given the freedom to talk to the players both local, foreign, local and foreign staff, hotel people, franchise owners and PCB officials

  34. #34
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,350
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    They now have a chance to come out with a proper analysis. PSL resumes in June.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Yaar, Pakistanis are the absolute worst when it comes to ******** themselves in the face of adversity. Take a chill pill. The PSL has been played in the UAE for 4 years, it was disrupted last year and the PCB found a work around.

    Yes this is an unforgivable debacle but hopefully the PCB will quickly learn from this, regroup and find a window which a much better bio secure plan.

    And give me a break, Rs 10 million is affordable for these Franchise owners. It is because of their arrogance, negligence, entitlement attitude this debable happened and therefore they should pay for it
    I agree, I've never seen worse fans!! Maybe just on the site haha

    This is nowhere near the worst thing that has happened to Pakistan cricket, or even in cricket recently, do these guys not know the debacle of South Africa v England?

    Anyway, it happened, they were unprofessional in handling the fallout and have spent the week going at each other rather than rebuilding.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •