Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 161 to 191 of 191
  1. #161
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    176
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the world we live in is ruled by economics really. It always has been. The way I look at it, if a cricketer player 50-60 games for his country and then has a chance where he may have to miss 3-4 games to play a different format, maybe a little less taxing and at the same time make more than he would EVER playing for his country, he would surely go for it. Who wouldn't? This isn't about selling your country or not valuing the badge you play for, its simple economics.
    A cricketer's life span at best is 15 years after which he has to rely on his education or reinvest the money he gained from playing or maybe use his cricketing knowledge to coach, start an academy etc. A lot of these chaps start playing early and hence don't have degrees to get a proper job and you don't need as many coaches as players, so it really boils down to how much they have at the end of their playing career and how they reinvest it. There have been many a cricketer who has taken his own life due to monetary issues and due to withdrawal syndromes (Senior Bairstow is a name that comes to mind). So all these things in mind, and considering the fact that they are paid in Dollar which is stronger than the Rand and the fact that BCCI will pay a renumeration to the SA board and other boards that release their players for the 2 month duration, this is a win win situation. Why cry for no reason?


    If he bowls with a full sleeve and is an off-spinner, rest assured he chucks. Amen

  2. #162
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,395
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Karachi: Five South African players will no longer be availaible in the series against Pakistan as they left for India to participate in the Indian Premier League.

    David Miller, Kagiso Rabada, Anrich Nortje, Quinton de Kock, Lungi Ngidi are the five players who were part of the ongoing ODI series in Centurion and Johannesburg.

    Pakistan will now have an upper hand to grab the ODI series which is part of the ICC Cricket World Cup Super League. The series is currently leveled at 1-1.

    At the start of the ODI series, South Africa’s white-ball skipper Temba Bavuma opined that they don’t have any problem with their main players leaving the series midway for IPL.

    While head coach Mark Boucher said it’s not ideal but will help their players to gain experience of playing in Indian conditions before the all-important T20 World Cup at the same venues.

    CSA and South African players remained under immense criticism for prioritizing a private league over national duty. Veteran pacer Dale Steyn also questioned CSA’s policy.

    ARY


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  3. #163
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    19,656
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If we go by recent trends, I have seen players who step up after seniors were unavailable have actually performed way better and with more passion and hunger. Happened for India team vs Aus. Saw this in West Indies series against Bangladesh, Sri Lankan players recently.


    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

  4. #164
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    10,082
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It will still be a competitive game. This is Pak's game to lose. Would have been the case with SA's full strength team as well. With Shadab injured and Asif being Asif, it's time to get Nawaz and Haider to strengthen the batting.

  5. #165
    Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    4,563
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Indians are entitled to be angry with him.

    His views about IPL now are fine, nobody is forced to like the IPL.

    However, in the past, he has taken huge money and then treated it like a paid holiday and not even tried.

    Obviously people will be angry. It is basic ethics that if someone is paying you millions of dollars, you should at least put in the full effort and do your best to fulfill the job.

  6. #166
    Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    477
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steyn is just being grumpy at no longer being in contention for IPL slot. Understandable sour grapes. It pains to see as a fan but regardless he is an absolute legend of the game and is entitled to his views.

    CSA already has had the hindsight of the torrid times under Lorgat when they went head on with BCCI. With their finances laughably bad and team not performing well either, the last they can afford to do is another confrontation with BCCI, that too for a hastily scheduled series which was arranged only as quid pro quo for their tour to Pakistan.

  7. #167
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    7,309
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Steyn is just being grumpy at no longer being in contention for IPL slot. Understandable sour grapes. It pains to see as a fan but regardless he is an absolute legend of the game and is entitled to his views.

    CSA already has had the hindsight of the torrid times under Lorgat when they went head on with BCCI. With their finances laughably bad and team not performing well either, the last they can afford to do is another confrontation with BCCI, that too for a hastily scheduled series which was arranged only as quid pro quo for their tour to Pakistan.
    Also, their own star players are not on their side on this issue.

  8. #168
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,395
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Guess in terms of Team ranking, the 2nd ODI win has assured SA stay above Pakistan so even if they lose the series, they can say it was due to key players gone.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  9. #169
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,395
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  10. #170
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    2,253
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    What Afridi saying is correct and players from most other teams wont leave the series mid-way to play in an overseas franchise league.

    But SA board does this racist thing which they sugarcoat it as quota system where they openly discriminates against white players. Now if your own board discriminates against you why would you care about the board? The white SA players have all the right to secure their financial future playing in T20 leagues.

    It all sounds good that you play for your country, represent your nation etc. but in reality you dont, you just play for your board. Indian players for example plays for BCCI which is a private organization. Just to add an emotional angle they call it as an Indian team but in reality its BCCI that they are representing. Same goes for SA players, they dont play for SA the country but just represent their cricket board. Now when that board itself openly discriminates ofcourse you will lookout for new employers.

    Its like in a corporate where if you are unhappy with your employer you look for a new one. Previously players didnt have that choice and had to cope up with the tantrums of their boards. But now with T20 leagues and franchises willing to offer 10 times more money, more and more players would move out if their boards dont treat them with respect. We will see many more AB De Villiers or M.Amir in future and its a fact.
    Last edited by Rajdeep; 8th April 2021 at 13:09.

  11. #171
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,395
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    With Bavuma also injured - no idea how they expect to compete with anyone like that.

    I know a few Saffers here who are absolutely livid with what SA players have done.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  12. #172
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,395
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Love the official line by all SA management on this "relationship" between BCCI and CSA to explain why they cant field their best national side


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  13. #173
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    81,889
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I suppose CSA are lucky that there are no fans in the stadium as I can imagine that if the fans were paying to watch a 2nd or 3rd XI for South Africa they'd not be best pleased.



  14. #174
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    3,625
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I suppose CSA are lucky that there are no fans in the stadium as I can imagine that if the fans were paying to watch a 2nd or 3rd XI for South Africa they'd not be best pleased.
    That fact that CSA knew their players would be unavailable due to IPL and still chose to organize the series during this timeframe speaks to the keen sense of desperation they are a victim of due to the cancelled tours.

    Big of Pakistan to step up and tour during this difficult time without making a fuss, just as they did earlier this year. International cricket needs more camaraderie between boards that aren't Big 3.

  15. #175
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    4,107
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/ne...pl-aaqib-javed

    Former Pakistan pacer Aaqib Javed has stated that it is difficult to stop players from going to the Indian Premier League, despite national duty, due to amount of money involved.

    It must be noted that top South Africa players left for IPL after the second ODI against Pakistan.

    “IPL is very strong as well as India [BCCI] which means that if other boards have to stop there players from going there then they have to play them a lot of money which is a very difficult thing to do. Players earn around $1.5 million by playing in IPL for one and a half month which is almost double the amount they earn from playing with the national side. Also, South Africa cricket is already struggling due to internal administrative issues,” said Javed in an exclusive interview with Cricket Pakistan.

  16. #176
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    186
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Could be but what does that say about the players? and should a board bow down like that?
    It was most definitely the players, as widely reported in the continued saga of CSA v its own employees haha

  17. #177
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    17,632
    Mentioned
    818 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Also, South Africa cricket is already struggling due to internal administrative issues
    He is saying the same thing which others have been saying for the past couple of days. They left due to money. It has nothing to do with the quality of the league or IPL being superior than International matches.

  18. #178
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    7,047
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)



    Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

  19. #179
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    1,313
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate the idea of top players missing out on international games because of IPL, that's just condescending to the opposition as well and just shouldn't happen. Having said that Pakistan can't complaint as they started this culture. In 90s many Pakistani cricketers like wasim, Akhtar and Saqlain would miss international matches to play in county cricket.

  20. #180
    Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    4,095
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quality of the league and the money involved are linked- as are most competitive sporting tourneys outside of the Olympics type of events.

    Money attracts quality, and quality in turn attracts money.

    The IPL is high quality, easily the best among all leagues of its kind, and in the top even when you consider international 20:20 games. The money involved underlines that quality, but cannot supplant it.


  21. #181
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    5,290
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason why IPL is the richest T20 league is because of 1.3 Billion Indians. This is it.

    Quantity does not equate to quality.

  22. #182
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    5,290
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS : I will save you the bother, I don't rate or follow ANY T20 league: be it IPL, PSL, BPL, or xPL.

  23. #183
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    5,290
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRIC_FANtastic View Post
    I see you continue to hide behind terms such as 'quality' and 'talent' - where we can debate until the end of time - simply because these terms are non-measurable.

    linking India's WT20 wins with IPL quality is a bogus and shallow argument. Because unlike domestic T20 leagues such as PSL and others, IPL is a an International league. Also, one could not say England did not have any quality in their domestic league because they could not win a World Cup until 2019.

    For stats, Indian can also pad our T20 stats if we play more with likes of Ireland, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and Pakistan. However, we prefer quality over quantity (pun intended).
    Why is linking India's WT20 record since IPL inauguration a bogus and shallow argument when you claim above the IPL is an international league unlike other T20 leagues?

    You have just made a distinction based on quality and you will be the first to claim IPL has done wonders if India win the next WT20.

    Number of wins and progression in a format world cup championed by India through the richest T20 league is 100% measurable.

  24. #184
    Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    104
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The argument of not winning any WC T20 to put down IPL and saying IPL is not a quality league is so funny.
    IPL is best among all leagues because top players of world cricket play in that. Because rookies get to learn from players like Ponting, Smith, ABD and the list just doesn't end. The exposure, compensation they get in IPL is unmatched.

    Others league don't even come close to IPL and there no other league which is of better quality than IPL as of now.

  25. #185
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Runs
    133
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    Why is linking India's WT20 record since IPL inauguration a bogus and shallow argument when you claim above the IPL is an international league unlike other T20 leagues?

    You have just made a distinction based on quality and you will be the first to claim IPL has done wonders if India win the next WT20.

    Number of wins and progression in a format world cup championed by India through the richest T20 league is 100% measurable.
    I have already given a great example of England where they could not win One Day world cup until 2019. There is no link between WC wins and quality and England is a great example. And this is why your argument is bogus. We can agree to disagree, which is fine.

    The problem with Pakistan in general is you guys expect quick results (true for everything - from economy to sports), and this is why you don't get any results. While India in general makes plan for at least 20-30 years. Money generated by IPL is trickled down to grass root level. Cricket Stadium, Coaching and training facilities, Domestic and List A leagues payments - every single facet of cricket has been upgraded multifold in past decade. This will ensure India will remain a top competitor in every format of the game for decades to come.

    Linking IPL with WT20 wins is unbelievably short sighted point of view. I hope your cricket administrators don't have such myopic view or your cricket will go your hockey's way before we end 2030.

  26. #186
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    5,290
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CRIC_FANtastic View Post
    I have already given a great example of England where they could not win One Day world cup until 2019. There is no link between WC wins and quality and England is a great example. And this is why your argument is bogus. We can agree to disagree, which is fine.

    The problem with Pakistan in general is you guys expect quick results (true for everything - from economy to sports), and this is why you don't get any results. While India in general makes plan for at least 20-30 years. Money generated by IPL is trickled down to grass root level. Cricket Stadium, Coaching and training facilities, Domestic and List A leagues payments - every single facet of cricket has been upgraded multifold in past decade. This will ensure India will remain a top competitor in every format of the game for decades to come.

    Linking IPL with WT20 wins is unbelievably short sighted point of view. I hope your cricket administrators don't have such myopic view or your cricket will go your hockey's way before we end 2030.
    England is not a great example, it's a riddiculous one. To claim there is no link between WC wins and quality is unbelievably ignorant, especially when it comes to England.

    India champions and declares the IPL to be the highest quality, the richest, and the greatest exposure, in T20 cricket. Richest? Yes. Exposure? Partially. Quality? IPL includes retirees, jaded, one hit wonder and a few genuine international players (barring India A), and domestic players, with a hint of part timers. All the IPL has done is funnel money down the system. That's it.

    India never planned for 20 to 30 years; India got lucky when money started flowing into the country post 2000 which provided players not just with incentives, but a sense of security too.

    As for India being a top competitor in every format; Tests and ODIs sure, except for the format it champions - T20 - at the world stage.

    Pakistan might want quick results, but India needs to stop measuring quality through quantity - then the lesson of value might be learned in the long run.

  27. #187
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    10,829
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL is where the money is. I am not angry or upset at India at all. They have done very well with this product making money and developing their international side. Don't blame the successful instead learn from them even if they are the enemy. It is due to such thinking that I am so successful in life!
    Last edited by PakLFC; 13th April 2021 at 11:45.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  28. #188
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    5,290
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think anyone denies IPL is the richest T20 league. There's no competing with a market of 1.3 Billion Indians; but to suggest international players leave in the midst of a bilaterial series, or choose to play IPL because of quality, and not the money, is just nonsense. There's a reason why these T20 leagues are dubbed mercenary.

    Money attracts players to the IPL, not quality.

  29. #189
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    10,829
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason i dislike the IPL is because it greatly interferes in the international schedule. As money is the decisive factor can understand why players prefer the IPL to anything else. All critics of the IPL would jump on the bandwagon too if they were players themselves.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  30. #190
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    4,044
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    I don't think anyone denies IPL is the richest T20 league. There's no competing with a market of 1.3 Billion Indians; but to suggest international players leave in the midst of a bilaterial series, or choose to play IPL because of quality, and not the money, is just nonsense. There's a reason why these T20 leagues are dubbed mercenary.

    Money attracts players to the IPL, not quality.

    If you're talking about the South African players leaving the Pak series for the IPL, then I think "quality" certainly comes into the picture.

    They would have surely thought playing in a league , where some of the best in the world compete and gets a lot of eyeballs, will be far more ideal for enhancing their reputation as quality cricketers than playing against a fellow mid tier team on home soil. They would have learned nothing new by thrashing sweeping them....

    And there's also the case of them getting ready for the WT20 in the same conditions....

  31. #191
    Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    228
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    IPL is where the money is. I am not angry or upset at India at all. They have done very well with this product making money and developing their international side. Don't blame the successful instead learn from them even if they are the enemy. It is due to such thinking that I am so successful in life!
    Excellently put. Apt for everything in life. Very much needed in the real world.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •