User Tag List

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Saud Shakeel withdrawn from ODI squad for tour of South Africa due to injury

Uncapped middle-order batsman Saud Shakeel has been withdrawn from Pakistan’s ODI squad against South Africa after suffering a Grade-1 quadriceps tear in his left leg during Wednesday’s 50-over-a-side practice match in Lahore.

The selection committee, in consultation with the team management, has replaced Saud with Asif Ali, who is already part of the T20I squad for the series in South Africa and Zimbabwe.

As Saud is also part of the two-Test squad against Zimbabwe, he will now stay back at the National High Performance Centre to complete his rehabilitation. If he regains fitness in time, then he will travel to Harare on 12 April along with other 10 members of the Test side.

The 34-member squad, including 13 officials and 21 players, will depart for Johannesburg on a chartered flight on Friday morning. On the South Africa tour, Pakistan will play three ICC ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Super League matches from 2-7 April and four T20Is from 10-16 April. The side will then depart for Harare for three T20Is and two Tests, before returning home on 12 May.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Uncapped middle-order batsman Saud Shakeel has been withdrawn from Pakistan’s ODI squad against South Africa after suffering a Grade-1 quadriceps tear in his left leg during Wednesday’s 50-over-a-side practice match in Lahore.

The selection committee, in consultation with the team management, has replaced Saud with Asif Ali, who is already part of the T20I squad for the series in South Africa and Zimbabwe.

As Saud is also part of the two-Test squad against Zimbabwe, he will now stay back at the National High Performance Centre to complete his rehabilitation. If he regains fitness in time, then he will travel to Harare on 12 April along with other 10 members of the Test side.

The 34-member squad, including 13 officials and 21 players, will depart for Johannesburg on a chartered flight on Friday morning. On the South Africa tour, Pakistan will play three ICC ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Super League matches from 2-7 April and four T20Is from 10-16 April. The side will then depart for Harare for three T20Is and two Tests, before returning home on 12 May.
    Sad, sad, sad. I was really looking forward to seeing Saud such a solid batsman, they should've given Kamran Ghulam the nod.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rotten luck for Saud to tear the quadriceps in his left leg ahead of an international tour.

Expect it'll be touch and go for him to be fit for the Zimbabwe tests.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope he recovers quickly and is fit for the zimbabwe tests.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    The Invincible Fort
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1225 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Terrible luck. Probably wouldnt played have ODIs with a Top 5 of Fakhar Imam Babar Rizwan Haider..hopefully play tests at 4

Full credit to Micky Arthur for realizing Babar Azam was born to bat at 3 in all formats.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Asif Ali is in the ODI squad now replacing Saud? If that's the case, then the XI is most likely gonna be:

1. Fakhar
    2. Imam
    3. Babar
    4. Rizwan
    5. Haider
    6. Faheem
    7. Asif
    8. Shadab/Nawaz
    9. Hasan
    10. Shaheen
    11. Qadir/Hasnain

With this injury to Saud, I wouldn't be surprised if Sarfraz Ahmed plays as a pure batsman here to bolster the experience in the batting lineup. If he plays, he'll probably play in place of Asif.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Such bad luck for the guy.

Takes a step closer to making his international debut and then that chance slips out of his hand.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Disappointing. Hopefully he'll feature vs Zimbabwe though, would be a nice introduction to international cricket.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Wasim: we picked Saud Shakeel over Haris because Haris has fitness issues.

Saud: hold my beer.

The circus show continues.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Mohammad Wasim: we picked Saud Shakeel over Haris because Haris has fitness issues.

I was just thinking that.

Haris was our best ODI player. He averages 54 against the top 5 sides with a good SR but Mohammad Wasim and PP were predicting him to get unfit and so they backed Saud instead.

I hope Saud recovers soon but this is what you get for making such decisions.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrai View Post

Haris was our best ODI player. He averages 54 against the top 5 sides with a good SR but Mohammad Wasim and PP were predicting him to get unfit and so they backed Saud instead.

And they also dropped him for a 112kg fixer who averages 24 against the top 5 sides.

Amazing.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He was struggling against Zimbabwe fitness wise lasting 50 overs isnít a given going forward while Sharjeel is picked in T20s which is a shorter format and Haris hadnít performed well enough for selection in T20.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When was the last time they played an odi game ?

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    When was the last time they played an odi game ?
    Haris last played an ODI match against Zimbabwe in which he was the highest scorer for Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don’t think get a muscular injury like this means you have poor fitness. It’s either unlucky or your body being overworked.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get Harris in and ask ICC to allow a runner with him every time he bats, the guy can hardly run, forget about scoring runs, he hardly troubles the scorer lately.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    New Jersey, NJ
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Get Harris in and ask ICC to allow a runner with him every time he bats, the guy can hardly run, forget about scoring runs, he hardly troubles the scorer lately.
    Of course no need to back up your statements with ODI stats because you will be wrong then

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just shows the strength and conditioning of our players.

Look at these guys legs they are sticks, they have no muscle.

A quad tear usually happens in hyper athletic sports, and cricket is not one of those sports.

Our players dont know how to properly train to achieve a body that benefits the sport they play.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haris last played an ODI match against Zimbabwe in which he was the highest scorer for Pakistan.
    Good for him. However he only has himself to blame for his lack of fitness and subsequent humiliation that he suffered in the NZ tests. Not surprised people are fed up and would rather move on from such an unreliable and poor example of a professional.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    Just shows the strength and conditioning of our players.

Look at these guys legs they are sticks, they have no muscle.

A quad tear usually happens in hyper athletic sports, and cricket is not one of those sports.

Our players dont know how to properly train to achieve a body that benefits the sport they play.
    Muscle doesn’t prevent a quad tear wth lol. Plenty of people who lift end up with a torn quad, pec, etc. you don’t need a lot of load for these tears in any case.

I do agree with your last sentence. We have the absolute worst conditioning of all teams. Preventable injuries happen to our players far too often.

It sounds like these guys are going through some sort of serious Olympic training with the amount of tears, broken bones etc happening but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Probably they were taking turns carrying Sharjeel and this happened.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The idea of Asif Ali even being in the ODI squad is giving me a headache. This guy is not good enough to play anything above PSL.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    272 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I hope it was not becusee of some weird training regime, like we saw with sharjeel. Was looking forward to see this new talent

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Asif ali provides nothing to the team, he is not a pure batsman, plus he doesn’t bowl.

His avg in LOIs are not that good to warrant a selection.. he can swing his bat in T20s and get that 20-30 runs quickly, but in ODIs he will struggle to give what’s needed of him. I would prefer Ifthikar Ahmed instead in ODIs tbh.

Anyways he will be down the pecking order I believe behind Sarfraz and Shafique

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many injuries under this regime, happens when an inexperienced coach like Misbah is in charge.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar

Said, Haris,Haider

These are the talented batsman I rate and would put tham in and around the same category

Don't know why said doesn't get as much hype as the rest of them

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Saud Shakeel has confirmed to us that he got injured whilst batting in the 50-over practice match.
    Last edited by MenInG; 26th March 2021 at 12:02.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Muscle doesn’t prevent a quad tear wth lol. Plenty of people who lift end up with a torn quad, pec, etc. you don’t need a lot of load for these tears in any case.

I do agree with your last sentence. We have the absolute worst conditioning of all teams. Preventable injuries happen to our players far too often.

It sounds like these guys are going through some sort of serious Olympic training with the amount of tears, broken bones etc happening but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Probably they were taking turns carrying Sharjeel and this happened.
    When did i say it would prevent it? Im a gym goer have been follow the lifting scene for over 2 years now.

Tears are likely to happen in areas of weaker transitional muscles.. i.e quad, hamsrting, bicep etc..

Im sure these guys warm up properly before going 100%, but its clear as day they have inadequate strength and muscle in those areas.

Having your body in peak condition can definitly prevent these type of injuries. They are not lifters. But they should atleast have a minimum of 15lbs of muscle.

Those are achieveable in one year, its called newbie gains...

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Saud Shakeel has confirmed to us that he got injured whilst batting in the 50-over practice match.
    His conditioning is garbage. He seems like a 35 year old tearing a quad whilist running...

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should recall the chacha ifthikar back

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    When did i say it would prevent it? Im a gym goer have been follow the lifting scene for over 2 years now.

Tears are likely to happen in areas of weaker transitional muscles.. i.e quad, hamsrting, bicep etc..

Im sure these guys warm up properly before going 100%, but its clear as day they have inadequate strength and muscle in those areas.

Having your body in peak condition can definitly prevent these type of injuries. They are not lifters. But they should atleast have a minimum of 15lbs of muscle.

Those are achieveable in one year, its called newbie gains...

Look at the physiques of the Pakistan teams of 80s-90s. They weren’t muscular in the typical sense nor look like they’ve touched a weight in their life and may have had legs that “look like sticks” but were still fitter than most of the players playing today. Back then lifting weights hadn’t taken off at all in Pakistan yet they were still fit

I know what newbie gains are, you’re overstating the difference it would make. These guys priority is to do lifts and exercises to move and function for cricket, not to put on 15-20 lbs of lean muscle in a year which takes additional time and work on top of their other exercises.

I don’t see Kohli, Dhawan, Pandya, KL Rahul having a physique of a novice lifter either... they may look thin even but reality is they are at low bf % and have great conditioning, even though they do lift but it’s more for performance and power rather than adding muscle to their frame.

My point is peak condition does not necessarily mean adding muscle for a cricketer. They should do lifts and movements to be explosive and generate more power, and if that yields muscle, it’s a great bonus. But muscle shouldn’t be the goal.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suleiman View Post
    Look at the physiques of the Pakistan teams of 80s-90s. They weren’t muscular in the typical sense nor look like they’ve touched a weight in their life and may have had legs that “look like sticks” but were still fitter than most of the players playing today. Back then lifting weights hadn’t taken off at all in Pakistan yet they were still fit

I know what newbie gains are, you’re overstating the difference it would make. These guys priority is to do lifts and exercises to move and function for cricket, not to put on 15-20 lbs of lean muscle in a year which takes additional time and work on top of their other exercises.

I don’t see Kohli, Dhawan, Pandya, KL Rahul having a physique of a novice lifter either... they may look thin even but reality is they are at low bf % and have great conditioning, even though they do lift but it’s more for performance and power rather than adding muscle to their frame.

My point is peak condition does not necessarily mean adding muscle for a cricketer. They should do lifts and movements to be explosive and generate more power, and if that yields muscle, it’s a great bonus. But muscle shouldn’t be the goal.
    Yeah i agree with what you said i did say in my original post they should achieve a physique that benefits the sports they play.

And you can't compare 80s and 90s physique of players to those of today the game has changed a lot in terms of physical output.

There were anomolies back then for example imran khan who had a very athletic physique compared to his contemporaries.

But the knowledge available today and they still have avg physique is a cause for concern.

Also 10-15lbs of muscle spread over your whole body isnt a lot...
    All it takes is literally good nutrition and knowledge of training/lifitng. That kohli right now. He has about 15-20 lbs of lean muscle on his frame.

These guys have the availability of trainers and cooks. They have facilities and the TIME to do this. Its called hunger to be the best.
    That what these guys dont have.

You shouldnt be making excuses for their lack of hunger. It takes a solid hour a day for these guys since their career is surrounded around sports..

I can say from personal experiance that i gained about 15 lbs of muscle in a year that too working 6 days a week at 12 hours a day because i am developing my business... not harping about myself... just saying its possible, and not as hard as you make it to be. Their workload revovles around this. Thats just an excuse.

Its just about having the mentality.. which these guys dont.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad times. The wait to see Saud in national colours goes on

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlucky but you kind of wonder why Asif Ali was brought into the side instead of Haris Sohail. In ODIs, I don't think Haris Sohail's spot could be challenged.

With the form that Rizwan is in at the moment, he's certain to play at 4, but the lower order remains shaky to say the least.

Is Faheem good enough to bat in the top 6? Personally, I don't think he has reached that level yet.

The next question is about Haider. Would we play him in South Africa, or would we opt for a more experienced Sarfaraz?

In my view, it wouldn't be a bad call to play Sarfaraz, but Haider is equally good enough for that #5 slot. Perhaps give Sarfaraz a go early on to see what he can do to cement the spot, and if he performs, keep Haider there with the team in case there's an injury with the current openers.

6 would have to be someone who can tonk the ball, but we don't have many people like that. Our team is frankly, one-dimensional. We can't hit the ball for our lives, especially when it comes time to deal in sixes. That means two things from my understanding, we either need to have the most explosive opening partnership (similar to Bairstow and Roy), or we need to have a lengthy tail.

Now, in all honesty, we are not a good modern day ODI team. Our batting has been quite one-dimensional, and it wasn't exposed because our bowling used to win us matches. Nowadays, there's barely anything for the bowlers, so if we want to do well, we can either extend our batting, or look to add a few more bowling options.

Fakhar, Imam, Babar, Rizwan, Sarfaraz/Haider, Faheem Ashraf, Shadab Khan, Mohammad Nawaz, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Mohammad Hasnain, Hasan Ali.

The reason why Imad was so useful was because he was at least a reliable batsman and could bowl a few tidy overs as well. Nawaz is the better bowler in my opinion, but an inferior batsman. Shadab is iffy with the bat, and might not perform as we think he would. Faheem is also questionable, especially in white-ball cricket. When you have so much inconsistency at the #6,7,8 positions, you aren't going to get far.

One of these guys needs to take ownership, and it should most likely be Faheem and Nawaz.

We are in dire need of an actual hard hitter before the 2023 World Cup.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He can be a valuable asset for this team with his solid batting and decent part time spin. I think role of a hitter is overrated. All you need are good batsmen who can play long and accelerate towards the end. Yes a big hitter down the order helps but we shouldn't select player based only on his ability to hit sixes. When you dont have buttlers and stokes go for Shakeels

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that muhammad yusuf using a sling /catapult ?

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hes an talented as haris sohail

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will he be fit in time for the Zimbabwe tests?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mazkhan View Post
    Is that muhammad yusuf using a sling /catapult ?
    Yes, he's using the dog stick, or as the Australians term it the 'whanger', to propel the ball in the nets.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    inshAllah i don't have a doubt he will be, however i don't see him playing unless management feel we open with Azhar and Imran and slot Saud at 3.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoaibbtt View Post
    inshAllah i don't have a doubt he will be, however i don't see him playing unless management feel we open with Azhar and Imran and slot Saud at 3.
    Lmao, the management would have to be real dummies to keep playing that useless Abid Ali.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lmao, the management would have to be real dummies to keep playing that useless Abid Ali.
    Frankly, i would've wanted to trial Abdullah in the SA ODIs but am interested in seeing him in the tests seeing as he didn't get a run yesterday when he should have.

However, if push came to shove i'd be good with Saud at 3 or 4 if Abdullah didn't play and we dropped Abid.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He's saying he will be.

So let's see.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Grade 1 tear according to the original report, so chances are he should be good to go for the Test series.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Yes, he's using the dog stick, or as the Australians term it the 'whanger', to propel the ball in the nets.
    its Zain Ul Abadin the throw down specialist for Karachi Kings. Not every bearded man is Mohammad Yousuf.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes hes already training in the nets so should be

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We defonitely need to drop abid and play azhar at the oppening spot with saud at 3.its Zimbabwe we should be trying players like saud,abdullah,zahid and so on