Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

If 5 Pakistani players were to leave mid-way during a series?

A very competitive series is level and it's all to play for. However Babar Azam, Mohammad Rizwan, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Fakhar Zaman and Hassan Ali leave the series to go and play in a Twenty20 League.

Fair enough, they are entitled to make money and grab these opportunities?

or

Unacceptable, playing for your country has to come first ahead of playing in T20 leagues?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would say entitled, the series got scheduled later

Australia pulled out of the series aswell, so players need to have some leverage aswell

In Pakistan, we would had made a big case.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are entitled.
    However this is good as it will test the bench strength. And if one of the replacements performs well, then the t20 merchant's spot in the team could be in jeopardy

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If Pakistani players were to leave a series midway, or not start the series altogether, it wouldn't surprise me.

They are single-handedly making a format like T10 mainstream as we type.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't really remember any outrage when Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis used to skip tournaments and tours that clashed with county cricket back in the 90s.

Most high-profile was when they skipped the whole summer of 1997 (Independence Cup in India, Asia Cup in Sri Lanka, and the Sahara Cup in Canada) because they had commitments for Glamorgan and Lancashire respectively.

Akram was even prepared to skip a test series in Sri Lanka in 2000 because he was supposed to be commentating for Channel Four before he got sacked due to the Qayyum Report.

So it's not just a phenomenon related to the IPL.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    511 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BCCI and CSA have an agreement that SA players will be allowed to play in the IPL. It's just unfortunate this series was scheduled at this time.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should not be an issue for the players. Not their fault if cricket administrators didn't account for schedule clashes.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I can imagine the outrage though from a lot of the public/media if it happened with Pakistani cricketers.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan's fans would go crazy if any of thier main players skipped an international tour and rightly so

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why could they not wait for this last match? Few days not really going to make difference to IPL preparations.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon there would be outrage in Pakistan if this happened.

I feel for South Africa - whilst there is an argument to be made for bench strength and grabbing a spot, I think somewhere along the line ensuring the NT is at its strongest has to be the priority.

Of course players are interested in the cash and boards permit players availability so I guess the issue is scheduling.
    Last edited by Sunzi; 8th April 2021 at 00:08.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    There homes would be burnt and a Senate inquiry ordered.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    They would have been called traitors. Especially if they went to play in IPL in India. I can't imagine Indian players getting away with it as well. The cricketers are held to way too high standards in Ind/Pak

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a good win and South Africa fought to make a fist of it following a stutter partway through the innings but before the game even started the match always felt like a compromised contest and as such didn't really carry the same spark for me.

If Pak had done that against a full strength top 7 opponent I'd be very disappointed.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakPremi View Post
    Why could they not wait for this last match? Few days not really going to make difference to IPL preparations.
    Normally no. But there is a quarantine protocol etc. All SA players are already missing their first IPL games due to quarantine.

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There would be outrage in Pakistan, the media would crazy and the players would be labelled traitors.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Generico View Post
    There would be outrage in Pakistan, the media would crazy and the players would be labelled traitors.
    I do not think so. Pakistani audience has matured a bit over the years. Nothing happens even if Pakistan loses to India even in Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    can somebody confirm if they would have left during the aussie series? I doubt it.

To be honest its SA's loss. they lost a home series and now will really need to play well to ensure they make the WC. They will still probably do so but this does set a very bad precedent.

Although as mentioned above cricketers have done this in the past, they have always risked their places unless you knew you were a cast iron selection (i.e. wiqi and wasim).

As I have mentioned elsewhere, the IPL window is the real problem. Every country has the right to run their own leagues and earn money for their boards but to treat the BCCI's tournament as "special" by giving it a special window is the real issue inmho. The window is what has created a two tier cricket system where the "brahmins" rule and then you get the lower castes. Its no coincident that with the ascendancy of one country, their societal philosophy also dominates whether intentional or not e.g. England/Aus white supremacy and colonialism, India=casteism.

this must be done away with. If India is so confident they should still be able to run a very successful tournament while international cricket is happening at the same time.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    can somebody confirm if they would have left during the aussie series? I doubt it.

To be honest its SA's loss. they lost a home series and now will really need to play well to ensure they make the WC. They will still probably do so but this does set a very bad precedent.

Although as mentioned above cricketers have done this in the past, they have always risked their places unless you knew you were a cast iron selection (i.e. wiqi and wasim).

As I have mentioned elsewhere, the IPL window is the real problem. Every country has the right to run their own leagues and earn money for their boards but to treat the BCCI's tournament as "special" by giving it a special window is the real issue inmho. The window is what has created a two tier cricket system where the "brahmins" rule and then you get the lower castes. Its no coincident that with the ascendancy of one country, their societal philosophy also dominates whether intentional or not e.g. England/Aus white supremacy and colonialism, India=casteism.

this must be done away with. If India is so confident they should still be able to run a very successful tournament while international cricket is happening at the same time.

The IPL window is not for the protection of IPL but for the protection of international cricket.

If there is no IPL window, not a single international team would be able to field it’s main players while the IPL is going on.

Cricketers are not slaves to their boards. Not since they days of WSC when certain legendary players (who take the moral high ground now) revolted against their boards and sold out to Kerry Packer for money and to fork out better pay structure from their boards who were exploiting the players.

As a result, it is essential that IPL operates in a window to avoid conflict of interest.

As for as why IPL has special status while others do not, that is because the purchasing power of IPL is far greater than other leagues, which obviously has to do with the 1.3 billion market.

As a result, IPL cannot be compared to or given the same status as low-budget, cheap imitations like PSL and other leagues.

What do you want IPL to do? Put a salary cap and lower itself because others do not have the resources. There is no such thing as equal distribution of wealth & resources in the real world.

As Adam Smith famously said, “the worst of inequality is making unequal things equal”.

Trying to force IPL to reduce to the level of PSL and other leagues will be injustice to IPL itself. If leagues like PSL start making enough money to sway the top cricketers in the world, it will get a window as well.

As long as PSL doesn’t threaten international cricket, it will not get a window.

You have to earn a window; it is not handed out in charity.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)

Quite a few England players flew back from India after the first Test just so that they could be back in time for the white ball leg + the IPL.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    [/b]

The IPL window is not for the protection of IPL but for the protection of international cricket.

If there is no IPL window, not a single international team would be able to field it’s main players while the IPL is going on.

Cricketers are not slaves to their boards. Not since they days of WSC when certain legendary players (who take the moral high ground now) revolted against their boards and sold out to Kerry Packer for money and to fork out better pay structure from their boards who were exploiting the players.

As a result, it is essential that IPL operates in a window to avoid conflict of interest.

As for as why IPL has special status while others do not, that is because the purchasing power of IPL is far greater than other leagues, which obviously has to do with the 1.3 billion market.

As a result, IPL cannot be compared to or given the same status as low-budget, cheap imitations like PSL and other leagues.

What do you want IPL to do? Put a salary cap and lower itself because others do not have the resources. There is no such thing as equal distribution of wealth & resources in the real world.

As Adam Smith famously said, “the worst of inequality is making unequal things equal”.

Trying to force IPL to reduce to the level of PSL and other leagues will be injustice to IPL itself. If leagues like PSL start making enough money to sway the top cricketers in the world, it will get a window as well.

As long as PSL doesn’t threaten international cricket, it will not get a window.

I want the IPL to disappear frankly so thats beside the point. Why is it an injustice are you not confident your league can handle some competition? why should they be given a monopoly? You say it is to "preserve" international circket? lol, thats laughable. It is to preseve Indian domestic cricket. International cricket only benefits when international crciekt is actually played. Not when it goes on hiatus to help a domestic board. If the IPL is so great it should compete for the same players.

Then we will see if cricketers really value their countries or the Indian domestic cricket scene. The BCCi didnt earn anything. it was handed this thing by the stupid boards who thought they could also benefit but frankenstein only realised he had created a monster long after he had done so.

The IPL now allows one discriminatory cricket board to hold the reins of power and export its brand of boring, one dimensional cricket around the world. it must be stopped. And one day as with all things like this it will be by their own hands...

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    I want the IPL to disappear frankly so thats beside the point. Why is it an injustice are you not confident your league can handle some competition? why should they be given a monopoly? You say it is to "preserve" international circket? lol, thats laughable. It is to preseve Indian domestic cricket. International cricket only benefits when international crciekt is actually played. Not when it goes on hiatus to help a domestic board. If the IPL is so great it should compete for the same players.

Then we will see if cricketers really value their countries or the Indian domestic cricket scene. The BCCi didnt earn anything. it was handed this thing by the stupid boards who thought they could also benefit but frankenstein only realised he had created a monster long after he had done so.

The IPL now allows one discriminatory cricket board to hold the reins of power and export its brand of boring, one dimensional cricket around the world. it must be stopped. And one day as with all things like this it will be by their own hands...
    IPL doesn’t lose anything if the window is scrapped. The vast majority of the top players in the world would opt out of international commitments because they cannot resist the life-changing $$$ that IPL offers.

Hence, only international cricket loses if there is no window. That is why there is a window in the first place.

IPL is not afraid of competition because other leagues cannot compete with IPL? Why? Simply because IPL has deeper pockets.

What do you want IPL to do? Not flex its deep pockets just so that the poorer leagues can catch up? How does that make sense.

It is not IPL and BCCI’s problem if other leagues do not have enough money to threaten international cricket and force a window.

Maybe we should get Zardari, Nawaz, Malik Riaz etc. to buy PSL franchises so that they can buy the top players in the world and force ICC to accommodate a PSL window.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No players should leave there national sides to t-20 leagues. This is slowly ruining cricket worldwide.

I have a question for everyone defending the decision, does the BCCI allow there players to miss international games to play t-20 leagues? Do they allow Indian players to play i other leagues.

I think personally PSL and PCB need to follow suit , only allow Pakistani players who want to be selected for Pakistan onLY be allowed to participate in the PSL

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The outrage 5 years ago would have been astronomical. Today it is small. In 5 years, it will be normal to skip national duty for T20 leagues, particularly IPL.

Football manages it better with assigned windows for national duty. It is a bit chaotic in cricket particularly due to the pandemic but will get sorted.

On a separate note, T20 leagues are a reality but I feel cricket was doing much better without them. More equal and more competitive. Way more passionate. I find both national and leagues much more passionate in football and tennis than in cricket. Just not managed well.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saqlain Mushtaq always preferred country cricket (money) over the Pakistani team. However, in the latter part of his life, he grew a beard to show to the rest of the country how loyal he was to his national team.
    I suppose these current players should be treated the same way and should be allowed to earn money otherwise for a few pounds they will be selling their motherland and I think that will be a more shameful act in the bigger picture. Therefore, cricket in Pakistan is already dead. Only overseas Pakistani British follow Pakistani cricket with passion. To be honest, half the Pakistani players I hardly know by name.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should not be entitled to do that.

One thing should be clear , these players are what they are today because of their country and having had the opportunity to play for the national cricket team.

This is very different to say football where the club v country debate is concerned , because players are known first and foremost for their clubs , yes Messi plays for Argentinan national team - but the world know him for his success playing for Barcelona, leading them to countless league and cup victories. As it happens ironically Messi has hardy done anything at World Cups for Argentina.

Compare that with cricketers and especially Pakistan , who would have known Babar Azam as a cricketer if he had not played for the national team?

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your picked for your country you stay and play until the end, the IPL should be scrapped, but another thousand poor people in India dying doesn’t mean a jot to the rich ones, Pakistan players have more class then to walk out on their country

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thephenom View Post
    Your picked for your country you stay and play until the end, the IPL should be scrapped, but another thousand poor people in India dying doesn’t mean a jot to the rich ones, Pakistan players have more class then to walk out on their country
    Yes, Pakistan players showed their “class” when half of the squad turned their backs on PCB to follow Inzamam to ICL for some cheap $$$. Not to mention the extra $$$ they made in ICL because of the rampant match-fixing that was going on.

They also showed their “class” when they used to cry about missing on IPL every year before PCB came up with the low-budget, cheap imitation called PSL.

If given a choice between the two, these “classy” Pakistani players will happily give up their PSL contracts and turn their backs on PCB for an IPL contract where they are going to make more $$$ in one season than they would in 3-4 years worth of appearances in PSL and for the Pakistan national team.

Not to forget the “class” Amir, Asif, Butt, Sharjeel etc. showed....

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyboy2018 View Post
    Saqlain Mushtaq always preferred country cricket (money) over the Pakistani team. However, in the latter part of his life, he grew a beard to show to the rest of the country how loyal he was to his national team.
    I suppose these current players should be treated the same way and should be allowed to earn money otherwise for a few pounds they will be selling their motherland and I think that will be a more shameful act in the bigger picture. Therefore, cricket in Pakistan is already dead. Only overseas Pakistani British follow Pakistani cricket with passion. To be honest, half the Pakistani players I hardly know by name.
    It's easy to forget that Pakistan's band of cricketers from the 90s was arguably the biggest set of mercenaries in the history of cricket, no small feat.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    KP mentioned that for a lot of cricketers their performances against India, Australia, and England define their legacies. I guess for some, performances at the IPL is more career defining than in a JAMODI against Pakistan. Having said that, if I were one of them, I’d probably stay back.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Today, Playing IPL is bigger than playing teams like Pakistan, Sri Lanka, West Indies, Bangladesh, Afghanistan etc.

No one takes a series against Pakistan - home & away - seriously anymore.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    481 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All this gnashing of teeth is pointless, it takes a severe detachment from reality to believe that a player whose earning potential is only a decade or two of his life will give up an opportunity to earn millions when he can.

The 25 year old Kiwi Kyle Jamieson who has played a total of 18 games for his country (compared to, say Tendulkar who played 973) got a deal for $2 million for ONE year. You expect him to not take that?

There are multiple players who are going to make millions this year. My advice to fans would be, if you want your player to play for your country rather than IPL, ask yourself if you are ready to donate 80% of your salary to him to make it happen?

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A lot of Pak cricketers quit playing for Pakistan to play ICL

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not agains playing these cricketers for IPL

But it was a bit odd, it was not like the 3rd ODI was scheduled after a week, it was just a matter of 2-3 days before they could join IPL
    Either these players should not have played in the series all together.. Bit harsh to ODI specific SA players who go only 1 game in the series

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    [/b]

There already is a salary cap in IPL. A cap on the total salary of a team.

I don't know what will happen to international cricket if that cap goes off for some reason.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What many people fail to understand is traditionally April-May period is off season ifor cricket n many countries.

Mostly games were scheduled only in England and WI before IPL.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why people are debating about country vs IPL

Players are doing their job, and cricket boards are organizations.. That is why we do not understand when some one says , its about country, we are playing for country.. No. They are just their job in front of millions of watchers , getting paid for their performances, that is it!!

The only people who are doing fit for the country are the soldiers (includes health workers during COVID) on the front (who are at most risk of even getting killed, getting injured, infected)

I live in US, and what I have seen people watch the sports, and then forget about what happened, DOnt correlate with mother country, ultimate sacrifice, etc..Its just a profession.. nothing more

So, yes, players can go to play IPL, or PP, or KKL, or any other XXL...as long as their organization allows them to do so..Have these players asked their fans , hey what you think if I go and play IPL.. Absolutely NO, if it is not that connection between fans and players, then why we debate about country and all other things.

If Pakistan players were playing IPL today, they would have done the same thing as well

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Glasgow
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on which players were to leave.... it might even improve the team if certain middle order batsmen, all rounders and bowlers were to leave.... for names I'll leave that up to the imagination of fellow PPers!