Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

World Cup 2023 Qualification Watch

These are early days but I hope none of the SENA & BIPS pull an Italy and all of them play the upcoming world cup. You never know! (India are already qualified since they are hosting it)

Ranking Team Pld W L NR Ded Pts NRR
    1 England 9 4 5 0 0 40 0.468
    2 Pakistan 6 4 2 0 0 40 0.426
    3 Australia 6 4 2 0 0 40 0.347
    4 New Zealand 3 3 0 0 0 30 2.352
    5 Afghanistan 3 3 0 0 0 30 0.527
    6 Bangladesh 6 3 3 0 0 30 −0.128
    7 West Indies 6 3 3 0 0 30 −0.876
    8 India (Q) 6 3 3 0 1 29 −0.252
    9 Zimbabwe 3 1 2 0 0 10 −0.741
    10 Ireland 6 1 5 0 0 10 −1.076
    11 South Africa 3 1 2 0 1 9 −0.087
    12 Netherlands 0 0 0 0 0 0
    13 Sri Lanka 3 0 3 0 2 −2 −0.221

Updated to match(es) played on 7 April 2021. Source: ICC
    (Q) Qualified to the phase indicated.
    Notes:
    India qualify automatically as hosts.
    Bottom team from the Super League will be relegated to League 2 if they finish ranked below the champions of the 201923 League 2 in the 2023 Qualifier.
    In the event that two or more teams have the same number of points, the following tie-breaking procedure is used:
    1. The team that has won a greater number of matches will be placed higher.
    2. If still equal, the team with the higher net run rate will be placed higher.
    3. If still equal, the team that is ranked in the higher position in the ICC Men's ODI Team Rankings on 1 July 2020 shall be placed higher.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Points and net run rate will be crucial.

If Pakistan can somehow win the ODI series in England 2-1, it will give us a great boost not just as a team, but also in terms of match experience.

We'd want to go into 2023 with a winning team so that we can genuinely compete and win it.

If the middle order situation gets sorted, I can see us doing well, but there is a glaring problem that I'm seeing in our fast-bowlers.

Shaheen, despite being perhaps one of the best fast bowlers we've produced in recent times, is not a good option in the death. His economy rate in the death is quite high, especially in T20s. In general, I don't think he bowls well with the old ball, and he needs to improve this right away. He's a world class powerplay bowler, but death bowling isn't really working for him as of yet.

I do see an option to bowl Shaheen in two four-over spells, one at the very beginning and the other four over spell somewhere in the middle with the solid objective of taking wickets. If Shaheen gets hit in the middle overs, it's less of a worry than in the death where mistakes can be costly. The way he's being used is not right in my mind, he's a wicket taker and so he should be given opportunities to take wickets instead of trying to keep things tidy at the back-end. He can bowl the final two overs in the death, but that's all in my opinion.

Haris Rauf either needs to be developed as a middle overs bowler or solely a death overs bowler. The new ball is not for him. Hasan Ali needs to get some rhythm and control, he cannot be going for over 7 in the powerplay in an ODI game. He's a middle overs bowler, so I think that we might need to use Faheem in the powerplay along with Shaheen. Faheem won't leak too many runs though he's not that likely to take a wicket, but it will keep pressure on the batsmen to try and take a gamble against Shaheen.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Important that Pakistan qualify automatically. It would be embarrassing as a former WC holder to have to play qualifiers, but every team in the tournament will fight with their lives and we know how we've a tendency to wobble against lowly ranked teams (Bangladesh 1999, Ireland 2007, nearly losing to Canada, Zimbabwe and Afghanistan in 2011, 2015 and 2019).

Out of all the major nations, think SL look the most vulnerable.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no issues with automatic qualification given our fixture list. Worst case scenario is that Pakistan shoe in a last minute series against a weak team like we did with the Windies prior to CT17.