Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

Waqar Younis "Our bowling is shaping up quite nicely"

Waqar Younis press conference today:

Winning the series in South Africa

It’s a big achievement to win both white-ball series in South Africa. We did a fairly good job in our bowling. The bowlers bowled with responsibility in both series and the energy they showed was a good sign going forward for the upcoming tours and World Cups. The youngsters are doing a good job and they’ll get better and better hopefully.

Workloads

We are monitoring workloads and the fitness of each of the bowlers. You have to bear in mind that PSL was cancelled so the boys had a good rest before the series in South Africa so nobody was suffering from fatigue.

Zimbabwe Options

We’ll sit down ahead of the Zimbabwe series and talk about who we can give a chance too. And also we are always looking to explore alternatives in the bowling department especially with World Cups and big series coming up and we need a bunch of bowlers to tackle all the upcoming cricket.

Mistakes and shortcomings analysis

Whether we win or lose after every match look at the performances of the bowlers and analyse them and where they can improve. Sometimes a win can confuse you, but we are looking at the mistakes, who did what well and not so well. We discuss the bowlers problems and issues and praise them too. We won’t just ignore any shortcomings in the bowlers just because we won.

Big totals in T20s

T20 is such a fast-moving format that the type of tracks you come across even 200 can be chased easily as we saw. Sometimes even limiting a team to 203 is an achievement. It’s a mix and match and as long as you are winning matches and looking at your weaknesses and improving, then there is no need to worry.

Not South Africa's strongest team

I think people are being harsh when they are saying this wasn’t South Africa’s top team. It’s not our fault that it wasn’t their strongest team and it was something that was out of our hands, but you have to realise that it was still their national team. If our economy-rates were high then I add what I said before that look at the pitches and also that shows that the South African team weren’t that bad were they. We don’t cover up any shortcomings and we are constantly trying to look at any areas of improvement.

Criticism of him and Misbah

Criticism is always good. Critics make you a better person. They give you an opportunity to eradicate any weaknesses. I’m not really bothered about who is criticising whom. If someone is criticising me then I look into what is being said and see what I can improve upon. I just try to focus on my job and work on improving Pakistan’s bowlers.

Chances for new players in Zimbabwe

The Zimbabwe series is a new series and we’ll have discussions regarding the plans and the boys who haven’t had a chance in South Africa. We’ll look at who should play and who gets rested. Misbah is the final authority and he will decide who plays and who doesn’t, but of course we will give our input to him.

Bowling Options

Misbah’s role is different to mine. I can only comment on the bowlers and not to the overall shape of the team. We’ve not really tried too many youngsters, most of the bowlers we have tried are seasoned and were the top bowlers in the PSL. Hassan’s fitness is getting better and better. Shadab’s injury was a setback but hopefully he will get fit soon in the next month or two. Our bowling is shaping up quite nicely and this is my domain and I am looking to continue to improve that area.

Brilliant Babar Azam

The way Babar Azam is playing is there for all to see and the whole world is quite rightly praising him. He’s the best batsman in the world and If he keeps working hard and continues his efforts and continues to improve he will just get better and better. My well wishes are with him. We always tell him how good he is and my hope is that he continues to serve Pakistan.

Haris Rauf will get better

Haris Rauf is a match-winner as are the other bowlers individually. On any given day they can produce great results. I don’t see any weaknesses. In T20 cricket it’s a fast-moving game, you have good and bad days. On flat pitches it’s hard for the bowlers at times. I don’t have any fears about Haris Rauf’s bowling or that he has problems. You will see that he will get better and better in the coming days.

Mohammad Hafeez's bowling

We’ve not needed Mohammad Hafeez as a bowler but he is still on our radar. He’s bowling in the nets and if he can bowl that will definitely increase our bowling strength. We are keeping an eye on him but overall the bowlers did quite well but I am sure Hafeez will be useful in the upcoming World Cups too.

Naseem Shah's future

Naseem Shah’s future is bright. He’s a very talented fast bowler but unfortunately he got injured and he’s coming back from injury. He was at the camp at the NHPC and he’s working with the coaches there. He’s working on his fitness and his skill-levels. My hopes are that the more domestic cricket he plays he will improve further. We are waiting for him and he will make his comeback soon.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glass always have full with deluded Waqar Younis

Failed coach!

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Haris would improve his bowling by 50% if he stopped bowling the hit me short balls. In the history of the game, Has there ever been a bowler who bowls such terrible short balls. The guy is just dumb

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Glass always have full with deluded Waqar Younis

Failed coach!
    No comments on the actual quotes or what he said?
    Last edited by Saj; 17th April 2021 at 17:28.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrible coach, been clowning Pakistani fans for years. An absolute con man. Our bowling was getting smashed by South Africa’s B side like no tomorrow.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    No comments on the actual quotes or what he said?
    No, because he has lead us down this Garden path before as well, only for us to fail magnificently when it truly matters.

His credibility as a coach and cricket consultant is highly questionable

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Misbah is the final authority and he will decide who plays and who doesn’t, but of course we will give our input to him.
    The cat is out of the bag. Despite the claims Babar is running the show now, we all knew Misbah was still calling the shots.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    The cat is out of the bag. Despite the claims Babar is running the show now, we all knew Misbah was still calling the shots.
    There you go. It was obvious

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worst of all, with this series win, Misbah might actually continue with the same squad. Our team is poorly balanced. Too many all-rounders, not enough batsmen.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Babar was never running the show. He is, with all due respect, a captain by name.

Both Waqar and Younis have today stated that it's Misbah who is calling the shots.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Workloads

We are monitoring workloads and the fitness of each of the bowlers. You have to bear in mind that PSL was cancelled so the boys had a good rest before the series in South Africa so nobody was suffering from fatigue.

==

I am not very clear about this at all.

Does Monitoring mean taking action when its too late?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1039 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Waqar whinning that he doesnt have that much power. If he has issue than he should resign.

His issue is probably that misbah who is his junior he has to report to him

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Apr 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yaar this misbah is the worst thing ever happened to Pakistan cricket.Man get rid of this cancer as soon as possible.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Waqar whinning that he doesnt have that much power. If he has issue than he should resign.

No he wasn't whining.

He was asked a question about selection and he said that was Misbah's domain.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

So tell me again about your claims that Misbah isn’t responsible for team selection

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Till Misbah and Waqar are around, Pakistan cricket cannot progress. It has been confirmed again that Babar has zero say in selection matters; he is merely a face. Misbah decides everything.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Connecticut
    Runs
    Mentioned
    951 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    So Babar is a dummy captain after all?
    @Rana Thought you didn't autopilot mode?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Babar was never running the show. He is, with all due respect, a captain by name.

Both Waqar and Younis have today stated that it's Misbah who is calling the shots.

And rightly so. As the head coach, Misbah should be calling the shots. Both younis's have made it clear that their opinion is heard. Both understand their role and are not stepping onto head coach's domain. People can criticize all they want but it's a breath of fresh air to see some professionalism in PCT management. Kudos to Misbah that he can control such legends

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you read or hear Babar is calling the shots? Any references?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reasonable answers from Waqar.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chances for new players in Zimbabwe

The Zimbabwe series is a new series and we’ll have discussions regarding the plans and the boys who haven’t had a chance in South Africa. We’ll look at who should play and who gets rested. Misbah is the final authority and he will decide who plays and who doesn’t, but of course we will give our input to him.
    Hope they actually use that series to blood some new players and build up their confidence but knowing past history, that seems unlikely. Even in 2020 with Zimbabwe touring Pakistan, they used their main players. I think it would be nice for Abdullah Shafique/Saud/Salman to at least play in 1 of those Test matches.

For T20's, I hope they rest Hasan and Shaheen as both will be playing in the Test matches anyways. Giving Wasim Jr and Iqbal would be nice just to have an idea where they are at their development. I think giving Haider Ali a look up the order to build his confidence would be a good idea too. The power hitting options for Pakistan are limited but Haider is someone that could be really lethal for them. Getting him to figure it out should be a priority IMO.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
    Where did you read or hear Babar is calling the shots? Any references?
    https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/77...final-decisons

"The role of head coach will be advisory" - turned out to be empty talk.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In bowling we need big match players. Shaheen is good but I still think he can bottle it in a big match especially world Cup coming up soon.

Amir keeps it tight during regular games and shows up in the big games if his work load is managed.

Nawaz still needs to be developed thought he has great potential. Teams that play spin well will not be troubled by him.

Hassan Ali can perform on his day and even if he leaks runs he is always amongst the wickets.

We need to get rid of Haris Rauf and try to develop hasnain. I see a lot of potential in him in the future.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/77...final-decisons

"The role of head coach will be advisory" - turned out to be empty talk.
    Thanks for sharing. As credible the News is, this particular article seems click bait without any real references.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    History repeats itself, again and again for Pakistan cricket!!!! They play a few B-side and low ranked teams before the World Cup; try to sell the fact that they are making great progress by winning these matches only for a first round exit when reality hits in the WC.....

Does he really think we can compete against the likes of England, India, Australia with this team at present!!!! If SA B-side scored 200, just imagine what the others would have done!!!!

Waqar, like others in the coaching staff is delusional and has no idea of reality, therefore we will never improve. They are only concerned with prolonging they jobs for as long as they can.

Read an interview from Younis today where he states that he does not work on batsmen techniques but their tactics!!!!!! just writes notes and gives the batsmen chits to read!!!!

Until these jokers are sacked and a professional team brought into the mix we have no chance.

Mickey Arthur, although not ideal, was much better and realistic when it came to performances.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As cricket is progressively becoming a batsman's game, bowling "will not shape up nicely" unless fast bowlers use yorkers, bouncers and generally good variation.

This applies to all forms of cricket.

So we need to see more of that from Shaheen, Haris, Hasan etc., otherwise Pakistan will not become a top side.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, barring Shaheen, we don’t hVe a world class bowler. Infaxt he needs rest as you can see there is injury and fatigue chance for Shaheen. Apart from him, everyone needs improvement.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah right. Typical Waqar talking a big game about how they are on the right track after some inconsistent performances against lower ranked sides which they won due to a lot of luck with IPL going on. Notice how he has subtlety shifted the blame elsewhere anywhere a direct question was asked about his performance. Talks about accepting criticism but resigned many times in the past cause he couldn’t handle it. This guy is a joke and played a major part in Amir retiring after his nonsense workload comments and other ** he has said behind the scenes. I wouldn’t be surprised if Shaheen gets injured before the World Cup. He’s consistently played for the last 2 years without a break, psl may have given him a rest but is there any proper plan to manage the bowlers workload before they get injured? I don’t think so. Misbah and Waqar is the worst combo as we have seen many times in the past. Thanks Imran khan for the mess you’ve made Pakistan cricket through your old pal mani Saab as well as the country.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not our problem that South Africa played there second team. We won, that is all that matters to me. Just wondering what Waqar means by "bowling is shaping up nicely", for what?

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh? Explaining the hierarchy is considered whining?

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waqar is buoyant because Pakistan has won in Pakistan and South Africa. Hence the 'aggressive' answers.

After humiliations in SENA, this is a pretty good come back for him personally.

This however, does not address key questions particularly on skills development which is his area - such as why are players not bowling yorkers, why are players like Hassan making same mistakes over and over, why is Shaheen over bowled to breaking point etc.

To be fair to him, he doesn't have Akram, Steyn and Warne at his disposal so he is doing what he can with who he has.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what Waqar was watching but I thought our bowling was quite poor with decent patches.

Hasan and Rauf are incredibly expensive. Qadir struggled to hit a length literally bowling full tosses consistently.

Shaheen was decent-to-good up front but offered no damage control toward the back end and went the way of the others. Faheem had a good last game but suffered himself.

Nawaz emerged as probably the best bowler of the T20i series but isn't a good enough specialised front-line spinner to justify his bits and pieces batting though his hand in the last game won a contest we should have strolled to some 5 overs earlier... but Waqar thinks our bowling is shaping up nicely? I disagree.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree.

The bowling is shaping up nicely..... to get tonked.

This was a weak SA team and still they were ineffective. Yes the win was good but not comprehensive. With all the chest thumping from the coaching staff, you would think we have won a major icc trophy.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what Waqar sees in this bowling unit, maybe this is just his way of justifying his salary. From the recently concluded T20 series I'd say that bowling was our weakest link then comes our middle-order batting.