Waqar Younis press conference today:

Winning the series in South Africa

It’s a big achievement to win both white-ball series in South Africa. We did a fairly good job in our bowling. The bowlers bowled with responsibility in both series and the energy they showed was a good sign going forward for the upcoming tours and World Cups. The youngsters are doing a good job and they’ll get better and better hopefully.

Workloads

We are monitoring workloads and the fitness of each of the bowlers. You have to bear in mind that PSL was cancelled so the boys had a good rest before the series in South Africa so nobody was suffering from fatigue.

Zimbabwe Options

We’ll sit down ahead of the Zimbabwe series and talk about who we can give a chance too. And also we are always looking to explore alternatives in the bowling department especially with World Cups and big series coming up and we need a bunch of bowlers to tackle all the upcoming cricket.

Mistakes and shortcomings analysis

Whether we win or lose after every match look at the performances of the bowlers and analyse them and where they can improve. Sometimes a win can confuse you, but we are looking at the mistakes, who did what well and not so well. We discuss the bowlers problems and issues and praise them too. We won’t just ignore any shortcomings in the bowlers just because we won.

Big totals in T20s

T20 is such a fast-moving format that the type of tracks you come across even 200 can be chased easily as we saw. Sometimes even limiting a team to 203 is an achievement. It’s a mix and match and as long as you are winning matches and looking at your weaknesses and improving, then there is no need to worry.

Not South Africa's strongest team

I think people are being harsh when they are saying this wasn’t South Africa’s top team. It’s not our fault that it wasn’t their strongest team and it was something that was out of our hands, but you have to realise that it was still their national team. If our economy-rates were high then I add what I said before that look at the pitches and also that shows that the South African team weren’t that bad were they. We don’t cover up any shortcomings and we are constantly trying to look at any areas of improvement.

Criticism of him and Misbah

Criticism is always good. Critics make you a better person. They give you an opportunity to eradicate any weaknesses. I’m not really bothered about who is criticising whom. If someone is criticising me then I look into what is being said and see what I can improve upon. I just try to focus on my job and work on improving Pakistan’s bowlers.

Chances for new players in Zimbabwe

The Zimbabwe series is a new series and we’ll have discussions regarding the plans and the boys who haven’t had a chance in South Africa. We’ll look at who should play and who gets rested. Misbah is the final authority and he will decide who plays and who doesn’t, but of course we will give our input to him.

Bowling Options

Misbah’s role is different to mine. I can only comment on the bowlers and not to the overall shape of the team. We’ve not really tried too many youngsters, most of the bowlers we have tried are seasoned and were the top bowlers in the PSL. Hassan’s fitness is getting better and better. Shadab’s injury was a setback but hopefully he will get fit soon in the next month or two. Our bowling is shaping up quite nicely and this is my domain and I am looking to continue to improve that area.

Brilliant Babar Azam

The way Babar Azam is playing is there for all to see and the whole world is quite rightly praising him. He’s the best batsman in the world and If he keeps working hard and continues his efforts and continues to improve he will just get better and better. My well wishes are with him. We always tell him how good he is and my hope is that he continues to serve Pakistan.

Haris Rauf will get better

Haris Rauf is a match-winner as are the other bowlers individually. On any given day they can produce great results. I don’t see any weaknesses. In T20 cricket it’s a fast-moving game, you have good and bad days. On flat pitches it’s hard for the bowlers at times. I don’t have any fears about Haris Rauf’s bowling or that he has problems. You will see that he will get better and better in the coming days.

Mohammad Hafeez's bowling

We’ve not needed Mohammad Hafeez as a bowler but he is still on our radar. He’s bowling in the nets and if he can bowl that will definitely increase our bowling strength. We are keeping an eye on him but overall the bowlers did quite well but I am sure Hafeez will be useful in the upcoming World Cups too.

Naseem Shah's future

Naseem Shah’s future is bright. He’s a very talented fast bowler but unfortunately he got injured and he’s coming back from injury. He was at the camp at the NHPC and he’s working with the coaches there. He’s working on his fitness and his skill-levels. My hopes are that the more domestic cricket he plays he will improve further. We are waiting for him and he will make his comeback soon.