"I wasnít getting the respect I deserved, thatís why I took the decision to retire" : Mohammad Amir

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

"I wasnít getting the respect I deserved, thatís why I took the decision to retire" : Mohammad Amir

In an interview with PakPassion, Mohammad Amir speaks about why he retired from international cricket, whether he regrets the decision to retire, gives his thoughts on the recent selection policies in Pakistan cricket, responds to the criticism he has received since announcing his international retirement, his future plans and whether there is any chance of him reversing his decision to retire from playing for Pakistan.

PakPassion.net: Thereís every chance that you could end your career having never played a Test match in Pakistan. How do you feel about that?

Mohammad Amir:
    It hurts that Iíve never played a Test match in my home country, but there are a few reasons behind this. When I started playing international cricket there were no matches being played in Pakistan and then of course I took retirement from Test cricket. But, despite that, I am proud that I have represented Pakistan in Test cricket not once or twice, but thirty-six times. If luck had favoured me such that whilst I was playing international cricket, Pakistan had played home series then that would have been a great honour and very special for me. But the most important thing for me is that I have represented my country in Test cricket albeit away from Pakistan.

PakPassion.net: Many feel that you have been selfish in your decision to retire from international cricket. What do you say in response?

Mohammad Amir:
    I have always respected everyoneís opinions and thoughts. There was nothing selfish about the decision and at the end of the day there are certain things that you have to think long and hard about before you make an important choice. At the moment there is no chance of my making a comeback to international cricket, but if things get better then who knows maybe you will see me playing for Pakistan once again in future.

PakPassion.net: What exactly needs to get better for you to make yourself available once again for international cricket?

Mohammad Amir:
    Retiring from playing for your beloved country isnít an easy step to take. I thought a lot about this decision, I spoke to those close to me and only then did I reach this decision. If I go into all of the details and re-open all those chapters then it will get very ugly. I hope that our players, especially the youngsters in future donít have to face what I had to face as I donít want our younger players to get disheartened and have to sacrifice their careers like I did.

What matters most to me is respect and I felt that I wasnít getting the respect I deserved and thatís why I took the decision to retire. The people in charge of Pakistan cricket have their job to do, they have their responsibilities and have their decisions to make, and I have my career to continue and look forward to, so we all should move on, as right now I am happy with my life.

PakPassion.net: Is it fair to say that you werenít yourself prior to your retirement from international cricket?

Mohammad Amir:
    There were a lot of things going on behind the scenes that the public could not see. Players were being side-lined and the level of mental pressure being put on players was too much. People can only see whatís on the television screen and donít get the full picture of what is actually happening and what players are facing away from the ground. I wasnít enjoying my cricket or the mental pressure being put on me. When you are not enjoying the sport that you love and have always loved and when you are not enjoying cricket, then there is no need to play in that environment. In any job, if you donít enjoy your work, then you will not express yourself to the fullest, and if you are not enjoying your job then you will not perform to the best of your ability.

PakPassion.net: Prior to your retirement, were you suffering from mental health issues or was it something else?

Mohammad Amir:
    Yes I was suffering from mental pressure, and I would be very surprised if I was the only one who has gone through this. Some players are too frightened to do anything about it or speak up about it because there are a lot of things which are outside the control of players. If the team management isnít giving a player any respect then that is going to affect the player. When there is a communication gap between the team management and the players then things will head in the wrong direction. There was a big communication gap between the management and I and this was very badly handled and really affected me and my mental health.

PakPassion.net: Whilst you point the finger at the team management, Waqar Younis and Misbah-ul-Haq did actually support you throughout your career, didnít they?

Mohammad Amir:
    Regarding support at key moments in my career. I will always be indebted to Najam Sethi and Shahid Afridi for their support. Prime-Minister Imran Khan also supported me, as did Wasim Akram, Shoaib Akhtar and Mohammad Yousuf. All of these people were the ones who were actually very public and open in their support for me, and I will always appreciate that.

PakPassion.net: Many feel that your decision to retire from international cricket is purely a financial one in the hope that you can make lots of money from playing in various leagues around the world?

Mohammad Amir:
    Some have such a mindset where they feel that a certain person can never do anything right. No matter what that player does, they will twist it and turn it into a negative. I am only playing in the leagues that are available to other Pakistani cricketers and itís not as if there are any special leagues being organised just for my benefit. Are other players being called out for putting money first? For example, Haider Ali recently signed to play in the Caribbean Premier League, are people calling him a money-grabber? If players are getting an opportunity to play in a league, then they should go for it.

When I was dropped from the Pakistan side, I was going to grab every opportunity so that I could improve and prove to others that I can still perform and people accepted that. But, then when I retired from Test cricket and I was playing in leagues around the world, suddenly people started saying it was all about money.

PakPassion.net: When you are sitting at home watching Pakistan playing on television, doesnít a part of you wish that you were out there on the field with them?

Mohammad Amir:
    Of course everybody wants to play for their country. It was my boyhood dream to play cricket for Pakistan and it still is. But sometimes tough decisions have to be made regarding your future and having made that decision you shouldnít have any regrets. When you have covered all the bases and thought properly about a decision, then you cannot and should not have any regrets.

PakPassion.net: Many believe that prior to your retirement from international cricket, your performances had declined. Was that due to the mental pressure you mentioned earlier or was it something else?

Mohammad Amir:
    The biggest problem was that no matter what I did with the ball, the critics were never happy. If I had bowling figures of 1 for 40 from 10 overs, they would say that he didnít take enough wickets. If I had figures of 3 for 60 from 10 overs, they would say that I conceded too many runs. It was a no-win situation for me and in the end, I just had that mindset of letting them enjoy themselves criticising me if that is what they wanted. I always felt that whilst I wasnít really enjoying my cricket as much, my effort levels never declined when I was playing for Pakistan. As a cricketer you have good and bad days, but I always gave 100% wherever and whenever I played - I always gave my all.

PakPassion.net: 36 Tests, 61 ODIs and 50 T20Is since your debut in 2009. Do those numbers display a certain degree of underachievement?

Mohammad Amir:
    I have no regrets. It wasnít easy playing this many matches in all formats especially after the ban. Some players would never have made it back to the highest level after 5 years out of the game, like I did. That took a lot of mental and physical courage to do. I represented my country nearly 150 times and I am very proud of that. Nowadays some of our players play 2 or 3 matches and then they are nowhere to be seen. I am grateful for what I have accomplished in international cricket and will always be proud of my efforts and achievements.

PakPassion.net: You were seen as the great Pakistani cricketing hope, but is it fair to say that Pakistani cricket-lovers have fallen out of love with you?

Mohammad Amir:
    Look, there is no way you can please everyone. There are some people in life who no matter what you do they will always criticise and find faults in it. They are the people who will turn a positive into a negative. Some sit on YouTube criticising my every move and others go on social media for attention for their fabricated and ridiculous stories. I have always been close to my fans and those who have supported me throughout the highs and lows of my career. They are the people who I want to entertain and perform for, not those who continue to spout nonsense about me.

PakPassion.net: When you look back at your ban for spot-fixing, what do you feel about that time and what did you learn from it?

Mohammad Amir:
    Itís been a long time now since those events, but itís right to say that I learnt a lot from that time and those events. Sometimes as a person you learn more from the bad times than the good times. I thought a lot about my future at that time and it was fifty/fifty if I was even going to play cricket again. But when I made my mind up to play cricket again after my ban, I thought long and hard about my lifestyle, the company I kept and what I wanted to achieve in life. Marriage helped in that regard and Iíve become much more family orientated especially since becoming a father.

PakPassion.net: You played County cricket at Essex, how was that experience?

Mohammad Amir:
    It was a great experience for me. I played there for the first time in 2017 and went on to play for them for a couple of seasons. They are such a great bunch of people who gave me so much respect and looked after me really well. They are such a professional outfit from top to bottom and it was a pleasure playing for them. It was a wonderful journey with Essex and who knows maybe one day I will go back there and play for them once again.

PakPassion.net: How did the experience of playing County cricket improve you as a cricketer?

Mohammad Amir:
    County cricket is tough cricket, and I would advise all Pakistani cricketers especially the younger ones that if they get the chance to play County cricket, grab the chance with both hands. Itís an outstanding environment and Pakistan domestic cricket can only learn from it. In fact, Pakistan domestic cricket is like club cricket compared to County cricket. The County scene is like a smaller version of international cricket and a fantastic learning opportunity for any young cricketer to work with some fantastic coaches and play alongside and against some great cricketing minds. As an overseas cricketer, I have never come across a better environment in my cricket career than I saw when I played in County cricket.

PakPassion.net: Are you looking forward to playing for London Spirit in the inaugural edition of The Hundred tournament this year?

Mohammad Amir:
    Iím really looking forward to this tournament. Itís going to be interesting to see how players adapt to this format, what the tactics are and how teams approach the competition. I love playing in England and Iím excited and no doubt everyone else who is going to be involved in the tournament will be equally excited. Thereís always a buzz when a new format or new tournament is launched and Iím sure the tournament will be a big success. Playing white-ball cricket in England is always special and Iím sure the fans are really going to enjoy watching it especially if they are allowed into the grounds later this year.

PakPassion.net: Is it your plan to gain British Citizenship, settle in England and then play in tournaments such as the Indian Premier League?

Mohammad Amir:
    At the moment Iíve been granted indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom. Iím enjoying my cricket these days and plan to play for another 6 or 7 years so letís see how things go. My children will grow up in England and receive their education there so no doubt I will be spending a fair amount of time there. At the moment, Iíve not really thought about the other possibilities and opportunities available and how things will turn out when I receive British citizenship in the future.

PakPassion.net: What benefits has the Pakistan Super League (PSL) provided for Pakistan cricket?

Mohammad Amir:
    There are so many cricketers playing for Pakistan who have come via the PSL route. The PSL has taken Pakistan cricket forward and given an opportunity to young players in the country to showcase their talent. By performing in leagues such as the PSL, it makes things easier for players to perform in international cricket. Our players get the chance to share a dressing room with some of the biggest names in cricket which is huge for their development. Itís fantastic to see the PSL now being ranked amongst the best Twenty20 leagues in the world. The tournament gives players a chance to show what they can do in a major tournament and provides a platform to be seen around the world. Look at the likes of Haider Ali who have performed well in the PSL and are now being signed-up by Twenty20 teams around the world.

PakPassion.net: Do you think the Pakistan Cap has been devalued by some questionable selections in recent years?

Mohammad Amir:
    I look at myself, I came through the school system, junior system, Under-19s, completed Pakistan Academy tours, but these days itís far too easy to win a cap for Pakistan. Whilst I was still a teenager at the time, I felt I was ready to play for my country when I was called-up, which doesnít seem to be the case these days. I want younger players to play for Pakistan, but they have to be ready and once selected, they have to be given a proper chance to perform. If you keep chopping and changing players, you will struggle to find the right combination. Discarding established players and bringing in players who are clearly not ready for international cricket is something that I am not in favour of and it rarely works.

PakPassion.net: Where are the Pakistani selectors and think-tank getting things wrong in your opinion regarding selection and the development of players?

Mohammad Amir:
    Look at the players that India, England and New Zealand are bringing into international cricket. They are ready to play at the highest level as they have done the hard yards and have completed their learning in the domestic and junior systems. Once selected, they show their skills in international cricket which they have already learnt in domestic cricket. Whereas in Pakistan, at the moment, our players are expected to learn from the national coaches while playing international cricket, rather than having already learnt the art of cricket earlier in their careers.

Look at Ishan Kishan, Suryakumar Yadav and Krunal Pandya, they looked ready and primed for international cricket when they made their debuts and did not look to need much advice or coaching at all. They have played several years of domestic cricket and the IPL and that makes their introduction into international cricket much smoother.

International cricket isnít school cricket where you learn on the job. Itís a tough environment where only players who are ready and who have learnt about the game and obtained the necessary skills should be selected. If you want to learn about cricket, do it at the academy or in First-class cricket, donít come to international cricket underprepared and hope to learn whilst playing for your country. Too often our young players are thrown into international cricket with technical flaws, with issues in their game, in the hope that they will improve. Well, it doesnít work like that at all and the sooner we realise it, the better it will be.

PakPassion.net: Are young pace-bowlers in Pakistan being thrown into international cricket when they arenít ready?

Mohammad Amir:
    I look at some of the bowlers such as Muhammad Musa and Naseem Shah and ask, where are they now? They are nowhere to be seen after being hailed as the next bowling superstars. This is due to the process and culture in Pakistan of throwing a player into the deep end and hoping that he will perform, rather than knowing that he is ready and will perform. Players arenít ready, yet they are being selected in the hope that they will learn from Waqar Younis or the other coaches whilst playing international cricket. We pick a batch of youngsters and if one or two out of the group do well, the selectors and management then give themselves a pat on the back and say there you go, we are producing good young cricketers. Itís a flawed way of thinking.

PakPassion.net: What changes need to be made to the process for Pakistan to produce better prepared cricketers in future?

Mohammad Amir:
    It is simple. Cricketers have to play more First-class cricket before they are picked for the country. Picking players who have played one or two First-class matches and then expecting them to do well is a huge risk. Get them to play 25-30 First-class matches and see what they are made of before picking them for Pakistan. We hype cricketers up after a couple of PSL matches or one First-class match and that is totally wrong. These boys should be playing a few seasons of First-class cricket like they do in other countries before they are picked for national duty.

PakPassion.net: Is there a culture where cricketers donít stand up for themselves in Pakistan?

Mohammad Amir:
    Absolutely, but only they can answer why they sit quietly. We can all see who is getting harsh treatment from the selectors. There is no way that Imad Wasim and Haris Sohail should have been left out of the tour of South Africa and Zimbabwe. They are told that they need to improve in certain areas and come out of their comfort zone but look at their replacements. What about the areas they need to improve in and the major flaws in their technique? Are they bringing in players to replace the likes of Imad and Haris who donít have any improvements to make? Of course, they arenít. All players have areas to work on, nobody is perfect, does that mean that the selectors are going to keep dropping players after every series and continue this vicious cycle?

PakPassion.net: Youíve played under some strong characters over the years. Is there a lack of those strong characters and leaders currently in Pakistan cricket?

Mohammad Amir:
    You will only see those strong characters and leaders when the chopping and changing of players stops. After every tour there is a number of changes, players coming and going and there is no chance that those strong characters will emerge. Leaders emerge when they know they will be picked for a few series and will get a chance to establish themselves. Apart from Babar Azam, Shaheen Shah Afridi and Mohammad Rizwan, most of the other players donít know if they will even be picked for the next tour, so how are they going to develop as leaders. The players need space, they need to have some freedom to express themselves and only then will you see positive body language on the field.

PakPassion.net: Is life complete for you without international cricket?

Mohammad Amir:
    Life has never been better. Iím in a very good place at the moment. Iíve got the PSL to look forward to, then the Kashmir Premier League and then The Hundred and some matches at the T20 Blast later in the year. So, despite not playing for Pakistan, Iím busy with lots of cricket coming up. In addition, my daughters keep me busy. My family means a lot to me.

PakPassion.net: Will we ever see Mohammad Amir in a Pakistan shirt again?

Mohammad Amir:
    If things get better in terms of the team management, then there is definitely a chance. Nobody knows what the future holds and what can happen tomorrow. But for now, and as things stand at the moment there is no chance of me playing for Pakistan.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You can hate him or his decision but this is a very logical and well thought out interview overall.

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A very honest interview. A really good read. I will say he does need to remember the PCB brought him back after he disgraced the country. Not many other countries would have brought him back after fixing.

Amir isn’t perfect, but this management have a lot to answer for if they couldn’t manage him correctly and put him under mental pressure. Would love to know the full story here.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This interview does paint a clear picture about some of the events that happened which led him to retire.

Most, if not all of his points were valid and it's clear that he actually did some logical thinking before opening his mouth.

My prediction is that if Amir puts out mouth-watering performances in the PSL and the other upcoming leagues, Misbah, Waqar, and Mohammad Wasim will get a lot of stick from the media and also from the PCB higher management.

If I'm not mistaken, if groups are made in the selection committee regarding the inclusion of Sarfaraz as a first-choice keeper, I see no reason as to why the selection committee cannot apply pressure on Waqar and Misbah to convince Amir.

Whatever happens afterwards, it will be clear that Amir returns to international cricket on his own terms and conditions, regardless of what the team management believes.

For him to do that, he must deliver in the cricket he's going to play in the near future.

The only other thing to consider is if Misbah and Waqar will let go of their egos and admit their mistakes in the management of Amir. Given the history of Pakistan Cricket, they won't as they care for their egos more than they care for the results of their team.

Nevertheless, a very good article.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes he cheated on his country and should be grateful for the opportunity to make a comeback on international level, yet we all know the perils of desi culture where there are taunts and barbs that keep coming your way no matter what. I believe that Pakistan cricket management has failed to realize that what respect and mental peace can do in terms of performance. And it is demonstrably clear in case of Amir as I read in a thread here that how his performance in Lanka t20 league improved with a kind word from Moin Khan. There is no shame is demanding and expecting respect ...

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The perception I got from the interview is that Amir has no interest playing international cricket and dont care much about Pakistan either. His focus is on playing league cricket, earn money and spend quality time with his family in UK. Thats why he mentioned 'Life has never been better' when asked how is life without international cricket. He is simply blaming management as an excuse to not play international cricket which he genuinely dont care about.

When so many questions asked about Pak cricket and whether he would be willing to return, one can literally sense he is thinking 'Look mate I am not the right person to talk to about Pak cricket anymore and have no plans to return. Thank you'.

A great talent but a very self entitled cricketer. PCB did a favour by fast tracking him and he only used it as a stepping stone to play league cricket. If I was a Pak fan, I would never want a player like him play for my country again.

I found Sami Aslam's interview much realistic and felt sorry for him. Definitely not for this guy.
    Last edited by Rajdeep; 11th May 2021 at 03:38.

Debut
    Apr 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    The perception I got from the interview is that Amir has no interest playing international cricket and dont care much about Pakistan either. His focus is on playing league cricket, earn money and spend quality time with his family in UK. Thats why he mentioned 'Life has never been better' when asked how is life without international cricket. He is simply blaming management as an excuse to not play international cricket which he genuinely dont care about.

When so many questions asked about Pak cricket and whether he would be willing to return, one can literally sense he is thinking 'Look mate I am not the right person to talk to about Pak cricket anymore and have no plans to return. Thank you'.

A great talent but a very self entitled cricketer. PCB did a favour by fast tracking him and he only used it as a stepping stone to play league cricket. If I was a Pak fan, I would never want a player like him play for my country again.

I found Sami Aslam's interview much realistic and felt sorry for him. Definitely not for this guy.
    Yep, now heís got the PSL followed by The Hundred and then the Blast too. Wonít be surprised to see him in the BPL or BBL later on in the year too. Heís happy to go round the T20 circuit and has no desire to represent Pakistan anymore.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hes not happy for kids to be thrown in young and without experience but he himself was so called 17 when he debuted No complaints then were there

Young players debuting has always happened in pakistan From Mushtaq Mohd to Naseem Khan and dozens in between Right or wrong this isnt new or just misbahs or waqars doing

Hes just using this stick to beat them with Hes banging on about how bowlers should play FC cricket How many games of fc is he playing at the moment?

He isnt interested in playing for pakistan so i wish interviewers on pp stop begging him I dont want him back and i dare say most on this forum dont

Id rather take someone avge who genuinely wants to play for pakistan than amir with his ego n no performance

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A shameless human being . He has no respect for his nation that gave him everything . A proud Pakistani would never want to see him play for Pakistan again . He simply used his comeback as a stepping stone to make more money and probably earn British nationality. He is infact beyond shameless . Read the lines he said and You wonít see any remorse for not playing for his nation and no desire at all to play for it again . You would never be remembered for the money you are earning but would be remembered as a cheat for ever .
    Those who still dream of him playing for his nation basically donít understand the meaning of honour and its Such a pity.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    To sum up the interview, prima donna, it's everyone else's fault and conspiracy except my own shortcomings

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two main thoughts from this:

1. Amir is an intelligent individual and raises a number of very valid points about the system in place which ought to be listened to.

2. He doesn't realise what he did when he spot-fixed if he thinks he is entitled to superstar treatment now. He is indebted to Pakistan, not the other way round.

Also does Waqar simply create tension with everyone who isn't a yes man? Seems like he's the common denominator in so many fallings out.

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using mental health issues for his performances before his retirement, good riddance I say his gone and the interviewers need to stop asking him if he will come back and stop Feeding his ego because thatís all your doing. Pakistan cricket survived before him and will continue to do so. He hardly set the world alight with his performances before his retirement, move on from him. I would rather lose than the management bow down to this cheat and ask him to come back

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy sold his country's honour.

Best forgotten about .

Besides he's past his sell by date 11 yrs have passed he's not that same bowler and never matched those past abilities with his comeback which turned out more like a damp squib.
    Last edited by MenInG; 11th May 2021 at 06:54.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We lost a true match winner to the system, a big match player in real sense.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    One hell of an interview from PP and asked all the interesting questions, I feel like he deserves sympathy to a degree and there is no doubt he could have been treated better, his views on management and selection are consistent with what you see in the set up right now, a big cultural shift needs to take place for improvement.

Having said that you also get the feeling Amir has exploited this situation to benefit him to the max.

Ignoring the personal and emotional views folk have, he is a bowler who adds more to Pakistanís bowling attack then take away from it. Hopefully he returns before he is finished at the top level but it looks unlikely.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheats and spot fixers can never be respected. Amir would never have regained the trust and love of Pak fans after doing what he did. The Pak team is much better without you so please stay retired now. You were never the same player after your return.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Has zero performances since his come back, except some overs where he did bowl really good, like CT final.

Extremely short bursts of good performances.

He was DONE as a cricketer.

And, he has the audacity to blame everyone else except himself for him getting dropped.

Clearly, he has an entitled mentality, close to getting UK citizenship, financially strong now, so playing international cricket doesn't mean much to him.

With his continuously deteriorating performances, he won't be picked up by any LEAGUES either. Near future. That's coming!

So, he can spew whatever venom he wants right now.

For a professional athlete, performances matter at the end of the day, that gives you the pay check. He has almost nothing to show now.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Has zero performances since his come back, except some overs where he did bowl really good, like CT final.

Extremely short bursts of good performances.

He was DONE as a cricketer.

And, he has the audacity to blame everyone else except himself for him getting dropped.

Clearly, he has an entitled mentality, close to getting UK citizenship, financially strong now, so playing international cricket doesn't mean much to him.

With his continuously deteriorating performances, he won't be picked up by any LEAGUES either. Near future. That's coming!

So, he can spew whatever venom he wants right now.

For a professional athlete, performances matter at the end of the day, that gives you the pay check. He has almost nothing to show now.
    1. He has achieved more then Misbah and Waqar combined

2. Misbah lost 2 ICC tournaments all by himself while Amir helped Pakistan win trophies

3. Waqar was spanked from genesis to revelations by India, Amir thrived under the pressure

4. Amir walks into the Pakistan line up even with a broken back, the quality of options used barring a few have been god awful due to cowardice by Misbah ul Haq’s personal tastes

5. Anyone would be smart enough to comprehend some highly logical and intelligent points raised regarding some serious challenges which plague Pakistan cricket thanks to Misbah and Waqar

6. Amir is smarter then Misbah ul Haq evidently, Misbah is living proof that education doesn’t make you an articulate individual, either that or Misbah’s qualifications are fake.
    Last edited by MenInG; 11th May 2021 at 12:38.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is he blaming Misbah and Waqar for everything? They were brought after 2019 WC and under them he just played 1 T20I match/ 1 Series in England and performed very poorly.
    Why was not he able to perform prior to that? or had he issues with Mickey, Azhar, etc as well?
    These are all excuses, he doesn't want to play for country & has no interest in playing international cricket or care about Pakistan. His focus is on playing t20 leagues, become a mercernary, earn money and settle in UK.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    One of the most genuine interviews I have read for a while - He cannot explain his point of views any better than this.

Rest is for readers to make a judgement on.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Two main thoughts from this:

1. Amir is an intelligent individual and raises a number of very valid points about the system in place which ought to be listened to.

2. He doesn't realise what he did when he spot-fixed if he thinks he is entitled to superstar treatment now. He is indebted to Pakistan, not the other way round.

Also does Waqar simply create tension with everyone who isn't a yes man? Seems like he's the common denominator in so many fallings out.
    Waqar Younis has had problems with Umar Akmal, Ahmed Shehzad (and it's officially documented) and now with M. Amir.

The only common denominator in these cases are the shady individuals who Waqar chose to have a feud with.

1) Umar Akmal:- Officially banned from playing cricket by the PCB, on charges of corruption, a repeat offender, choses to lower his pants to show his fitness, etc.

2) Ahmed Shehzad:- Completely lost, complicates everything around him, wrong priorities in life.
    He still is better than junior Akmal, in a way that he actually works on himself, has maintained proper fitness, if he can calm himself down start working on his batting skills he can make a comeback, specially in the test team as an opener. He needs to have a chat with Shan Masood, talk about how Shan works on upskilling himself, get a month long session with Gary Palmer or even Md Yousuf. This guy has cricket left in him, he just needs to channel his skills and focus on self improvement.

3) Mohammad Amir:- "From a teenage sensation, to a nation wide embarrassment".
    This guy had the best introduction to international cricket. People were raving abiut him and his partner in crime ASIF, and then he chose to sell himself for dollars.
    Initially claimed innocence, untill his lawyers slapped sense into him, accepted guilt and claimed innocence (this is where a lot of people got sympathetic towards him, including me), went to prison (in India once a guy is prisoned/proved to be a criminal heis deemed unfit to be trusted upon, he cannot get a government job, even private employers refrain from employing a man with proven criminal backgroud). Even after this, PCB welcomed him back with open arms, fans cherished his return and then his drama started.

This guy is insanely lucky that he plays for Pakistan where even criminals are celebrated.

The farther he is away from Pakistan the better it will be.

And as far is Waqar Younis is concerned i will,he seems to be an excellent judge of human beings i will always side by him if he tell someone isnt committed to the team. His credentials as a coach can be challenged but he is a fine judge of human character.

Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir should realize that players that don't put their country first don't get respect

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
    Amir should realize that players that don't put their country first don't get respect
    No one should suffer abuse for the country.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the deal with Amir.

He is almost Aussie like in his forthrightness and bluntness. He will not grovel or say 'thanks to Almighty' to please the public.

He is also clear that after having done his punishment, there is no need to keep paying a debt.

For me he is hard to like, but easy to respect.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His Tainted past, him leaving test cricket, his retirement from Pak cricket aside

This is a very insightful interview.

You might call him ego, that's desi attitude. Where u are expected to be a slave to ur employers.

Either give me my respect, or get out.
    That should be the attitude.

Earning 25k with respect is better than earning 45k without respect.

Only characters like Amir, Sami Aslam, Wahab, Junaid and Imad can stand up for themselves. They won't bend down to Misbah "bhai", Waqar "bhai"culture. Hence all are/were out of the team
    Last edited by Firebat; 11th May 2021 at 17:51.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amir haters are all hypocrites. They hate him because he retired from test cricket, but then theyíll say ďoh we didnít need himĒ, lol. If you didnít think he was good enough for tests then why were you all crying after he retired? Name me one bowler who can bowl almost 400 overs in 1 year after coming back from a 5 year break. And, on top of that he gets asked to play meaningless games against Zimbabwe and other minnows. Then his haters question his commitment, blind haters.

The haters will have no problem with other Pakistani players playing in T20 leagues instead of domestic cricket (Imad Wasim BBL), but they have an issue with Amir playing in other leagues after being dropped. They wonít call Imad Wasim ďgreedyĒ, they wonít call Haris Rauf ďgreedyĒ after he was given permission to play BBL mid way through the NZ your. They call Amir greedy because of one mistake he made when he was trapped by his captain at the age of 17.

Proper Hypocrites.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Clearly says he doesn't want to represent Pak again. Is happy playing leagues and will get British citizenship in future.
    Doesn't think he did anything wrong by retiring or not playing domestic cricket in last few years. Thinks once a player reaches a certain level "seniority", he doesn't need to play domestic cricket.

Every question the interviewer asked, he came back to "the management is the problem, i was always doing fine and was right"

Contrast that with Sami Aslam, Sami felt he didn't have any future in Pakistan Cricket so he left. As for Amir, he thought the future doesn't offer much to "Mohammad Amir", so I am gonna leave.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need Amir and he should have fought it out especially as the PCB did a lot to get him back in. Very good bowler, class and I wish he was playing.

I know he says the reason he retired is because of the lack of respect from coaching staff and maybe selection. Leaving that aside which is another matter, he deserves respect but for ever he will have lost some.

A lot of his career sliding down the wrong way is his own doing. However, he quickly realised his mistake apologised and tried making amends. Sadly, even though that should be left in the past it can never be completley forgoten or let go by some or all. The tainted mark will always be there no matter how much he tries, but he should have expected that and that it wasn't going to be easy.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the management is a problem he should have gone through channels to make his point or 'fought' for his point. When he let the country down at one point and so much was done to get him back he should have tried harder and let his cricket do the talking.

He is probably right about the management but I don't think retirement was the way and was just an easy option.

I don't have a problem with him retiring otherwise but he would have been respected more if he just said that he wants to just play franchise cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Amir making more excuses. What else is new?

I can think of few players in the world that are as ungrateful and entitled as this guy.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7534 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Amir is one of the cricketers in Pakistan who are intelligent and have great cricketing acumen and game-awareness.

You donít get the typical run of the mill,
    memorized answers that you get from most of the other players.

Amirís premature retirement is Pakistanís loss. He is content and earns a lot of money through leagues, while Pakistan has tried to replace Amir with dross like Naseem, Musa, Hasnain, Rauf etc.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Simple question - why were there no blowups about Amir's workload under Mickey Arthur's tenure ? Because they spoke to each other like grownups, there was a constant channel of communication.

Misbah and Waqar come in with their headmasterly approach, didn't seem to be aware at all about Amir's concerns over workload and continued to needle him with remarks like "Amir gave us a dhoka" which was totally uncalled for.

Now yes loyalty cuts both ways and Amir should be aware PCB did much to rehabilitate him. Amir also failed to work hard enough on his fitness during his 5 year ban. However he still makes the side easily over folks like Rauf, Musa and other hyped sensations.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He was treated unfairly. We shouldn't have recalled him in the first place. But we made that decision to, and after that point he should be treated like any other cricketer.

Other cricketers have retired from tests to only play LOI. There are also cricketers who clearly don't really care about playing tests, only LOI. And yet they are tolerated. A cricketer shouldn't be forced to play a format they don't want to play. Let someone who actually wants to play that format play it. The fact we are punishing someone for not playing tests just highlights the issues we have with the test format in Pakistan, there's little incentive or fan support for it. That's not Amir's fault.

I do believe his body couldn't take the rigours of tests. Yes maybe he could handle it if he didn't play LOI and domestic leagues. But as I said it's his choice, that's what he preferred and was frankly better at.

On merit he made at least the squads in LOI. In T20s he was our best bowler. I don't think it's right he was kept out. And as an ODI player he was underrated, he was one of the few fast bowlers who could keep it economical and bowl well with the new ball. I think he was often let down in terms of wickets by his more expensive counterparts which released pressure at the other end. I think his impact was underrated as a bowler in ODIs. On merit he still makes the team, he is better than Hasnain, Rauf, even Hasan. And even if you disagree as a squad option given he offers something different than most our other bowlers he would have been worth it.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Part of me thinks that he retired too soon and was badly advised.

But then when you speak with him and to other players also, then you realise why they want to turn their back on international cricket.

Only time will tell if he made the right decision, but at the moment he seems very content with life.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Simple question - why were there no blowups about Amir's workload under Mickey Arthur's tenure ? Because they spoke to each other like grownups, there was a constant channel of communication.

Misbah and Waqar come in with their headmasterly approach, didn't seem to be aware at all about Amir's concerns over workload and continued to needle him with remarks like "Amir gave us a dhoka" which was totally uncalled for.

Now yes loyalty cuts both ways and Amir should be aware PCB did much to rehabilitate him. Amir also failed to work hard enough on his fitness during his 5 year ban. However he still makes the side easily over folks like Rauf, Musa and other hyped sensations.
    Amir made a comeback in 2015 and played under both Waqar the head coach and Misbah the captain. There was no drama from him then and no management issues. I think he lost motivation in the last few years of his career while the management was trying to get the most out of him.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it comes back to the same thing. If playing for Pakistan really matters to you than no amount of roadblocks should stop you. That is what differentiates someone like Fawad Alam from someone like Amir or Sami Aslam.

I can never respect people who take the easy way out and are not willing to fight through adversity.

And is getting dropped once even really adversity? Especially when you compare it to what Fawad had to go through, which he btw went through without saying a single bad word about ay chief-selector or coach
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 12th May 2021 at 03:50.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that Amir had a chance to get back playing for Pakistan after being found guilty of spot fixing should have made him more humble. As Salman Butt and Asif didn't get that second chance and rightly so.

He comes across bitter in that interview. If he was performing like pre ban, that yes you could ask for that respect. But his performances since his ban were average except for the Champions Trophy and you can't dine out on that performance forever.

If he had a bit of humility, he could have still make a comeback to the Pakistan team but he doesn't so good riddance. Like many Pakistan cricketers who marry English born Pakistan girls, they turn into Prince Harry and bite the hand that fed them!
    Last edited by PakHammer; 12th May 2021 at 04:21.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam View Post
    No one should suffer abuse for the country.
    There's no abuse, not getting selected is part of a player's career. If he was sincere he would've answered his critics with his performances by playing domestic cricket. Remember this is the same country that supported him after his ban

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Look at Ishan, Suryakumar when they made debuts': Amir slams Pak selector for picking players 'with technical flaws'

Former cricketer Mohammad Amir has highlighted the grey areas of the Pakistan Cricket Board’s selection module.

Former cricketer Mohammad Amir has highlighted the grey areas of the Pakistan cricket board’s selection module. The left-arm pacer, who retired from international cricket in December 2020, feels that often young cricketers are picked into the national side who have technical flaws and aren’t prepared well to play at the international level.

Amir compared the selection criteria of Pakistan with the likes of India, England and New Zealand. In a recent conversation with PakPassion.net, the former cricketer said that other teams pick those players who have learned their lessons in the domestic circuit but in Pakistan, cricketers are expected to learn ‘while playing international cricket’.

“Look at the players that India, England and New Zealand are bringing into international cricket. They are ready to play at the highest level as they have done the hard yards and have completed their learning in the domestic and junior systems. Once selected, they show their skills in international cricket which they have already learnt in domestic cricket. Whereas in Pakistan, at the moment, our players are expected to learn from the national coaches while playing international cricket, rather than having already learnt the art of cricket earlier in their careers,” Amir was quoted as saying.

Amir cited the examples of several Indian youngsters who recently made debut for India in the limited-overs cricket after toiling hard in the domestic level for years.

“Look at Ishan Kishan, Suryakumar Yadav and Krunal Pandya, they looked ready and primed for international cricket when they made their debuts and did not look to need much advice or coaching at all. They have played several years of domestic cricket and the IPL and that makes their introduction into international cricket much smoother,” Amir said.

The 29-year-old further said that an ‘underprepared’ player shouldn’t come to international cricket and hope to learn the game while representing the country at a higher level.

“International cricket isn’t school cricket where you learn on the job. It’s a tough environment where only players who are ready and who have learnt about the game and obtained the necessary skills should be selected. If you want to learn about cricket, do it at the academy or in First-class cricket, don’t come to international cricket underprepared and hope to learn whilst playing for your country. Too often our young players are thrown into international cricket with technical flaws, with issues in their game, in the hope that they will improve. Well, it doesn’t work like that at all and the sooner we realise it, the better it will be,” the former pacer said.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...797943378.html
    Last edited by OMB; 12th May 2021 at 14:05.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He had a period of bad form in odis before the world cup. Barely got any wickets in 10 odis.
    He was rested for the odi series in england before the world cup, in that series the pitches were flat roads and bowlers from both sides were thrashed. Amir didn't face the pressure that bowlers like Junaid khan faced . The pressure to bowl exceptionally well to be picked for the wc.

The management kept faith in amir and picked him for the wc squad
    So it doesn't seem like he was mistreated by the management

Yes, he should have been used more conservatively and not play every match from 2016 to the beginning of 2018.

But amir did not even play a single test match in the UAE. But was reserved for seam friendly SENA tours. I struggle to understand what was particularly malicious about the management, amir didn't really elaborate on that.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sindhiboy View Post
    He had a period of bad form in odis before the world cup. Barely got any wickets in 10 odis.
    He was rested for the odi series in england before the world cup, in that series the pitches were flat roads and bowlers from both sides were thrashed. Amir didn't face the pressure that bowlers like Junaid khan faced . The pressure to bowl exceptionally well to be picked for the wc.

The management kept faith in amir and picked him for the wc squad
    So it doesn't seem like he was mistreated by the management

Yes, he should have been used more conservatively and not play every match from 2016 to the beginning of 2018.

But amir did not even play a single test match in the UAE. But was reserved for seam friendly SENA tours. I struggle to understand what was particularly malicious about the management, amir didn't really elaborate on that.
    That's the thing, he's been given preferential treatment throughout his career yet statement after statement he mentions being mistreated and disrespected. He even mentions it took a toll on his mental health but no where does he clarify what the actual issue is. Since he's retired now he should have no problems airing out the dirty laundry.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has to be the most entitled Match fixer in history of sport

Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Amir becomes a UK citizen, he could be eligible for IPL.

Looking at his past, I doubt BCCI will allow him. BCCI didn't allow Indian players like Sreesanth, don't think they'll allow Amir.

But interesting to see what happens.
    Last edited by MenInG; 13th May 2021 at 11:41.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan pacer Mohammad Amir never played in the IPL but he certainly can! The 28 year old, who has called it quits as far as his international career is concerned, has applied for a British citizenship. If he gets that, he is no longer a Pakistani and can play for any franchise according to the rules. Thanks to the current political climate, IPL doesn’t see participation of any Pakistani cricketers. Earlier Azhar Mahmood too played a season of IPL despite his compatriots not being present.

“At the moment I’ve been granted indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom. I’m enjoying my cricket these days and plan to play for another 6 or 7 years so let’s see how things go,” Amir told Pakpassion.net. Mohammad Amir’s wife and a young child are already in Britain and the young family is looking forward to a new life in a new country.

“My children will grow up in England and receive their education there so no doubt I will be spending a fair amount of time there,” he further replied.”At the moment, I’ve not really thought about the other possibilities and opportunities available and how things will turn out when I receive British citizenship in the future,” Amir further added.

Earlier he cited the lack of respect from the team management as the major reason for his early exit from international cricket. He added that it was a tough call to stop playing cricket for Pakistan but was left with no other option.

“Retiring from playing for your beloved country isn’t an easy step to take. I thought a lot about this decision, I spoke to those close to me and only then did I reach this decision. If I go into all of the details and re-open all those chapters then it will get very ugly. I hope that our players, especially the youngsters in future don’t have to face what I had to face as I don’t want our younger players to get disheartened and have to sacrifice their careers like I did,” said Amir.

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...w-3733241.html

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    574 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    For me it comes back to the same thing. If playing for Pakistan really matters to you than no amount of roadblocks should stop you. That is what differentiates someone like Fawad Alam from someone like Amir or Sami Aslam.

I can never respect people who take the easy way out and are not willing to fight through adversity.

And is getting dropped once even really adversity? Especially when you compare it to what Fawad had to go through, which he btw went through without saying a single bad word about ay chief-selector or coach
    But is that a good thing?

If out of 10 victims, 1 fights through, your system is still trash. Of course, there will be someone with insane determination (i.e. Fawad Alam) that will take it on the chin but most will move on or never try at all. That's how talent is drained out of the system through self-inflicted damage.

It's one thing to not get picked for performance and another to get shunned for silly reasons. This includes a player's connections, age, and/or playstyle.

What young player/prospect will look at Fawad Alam's story and want to follow the same path? He was breaking records for years and kept getting ignored because no one liked him.

The worst part is if Fawad has even a little dip in form, they will get rid of him again. Probably forever.

Pakistani cricket is at this stage littered with victims of nepotism, favoritism, or guys that get picked for 1-2 matches before never being seen again.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    But is that a good thing?

If out of 10 victims, 1 fights through, your system is still trash. Of course, there will be someone with insane determination (i.e. Fawad Alam) that will take it on the chin but most will move on or never try at all. That's how talent is drained out of the system through self-inflicted damage.

It's one thing to not get picked for performance and another to get shunned for silly reasons. This includes a player's connections, age, and/or playstyle.

What young player/prospect will look at Fawad Alam's story and want to follow the same path? He was breaking records for years and kept getting ignored because no one liked him.

The worst part is if Fawad has even a little dip in form, they will get rid of him again. Probably forever.

Pakistani cricket is at this stage littered with victims of nepotism, favoritism, or guys that get picked for 1-2 matches before never being seen again.
    Nobody is denying that the system is broken. You can either choose to accept things that aren't within your control and focus on those that are, or you can choose to keep making excuses and blaming others.

Fawad's example is an extreme case example. There has statistically never been a better batsman who was snubbed for such a long time. Most good-great players still make it through the system to national selection despite its various pitfalls.

But what Fawad's example does show is how he never makes excuses or blames others for things that are not within his control, and instead only chooses to focus on those that are. And there is something deeply admirable about a guy like that who is only interested in performing well and who does not choose to give up despite adversity and a seemingly unending run of bad luck. If anything, it speaks volumes about Fawad's character. Because if there was anyone who deserved to cry foul, it was him. And yet he didn't.

Do you think everyone doesn't know that the system is broken, littered with victims of nepotism and favoritism? And do you really think that if any player brought all that to the public's attention, that anything would really change? No.

On the flip-side you have Mohammad Amir. I rarely see a player buy into his own hype as much as Amir does. Despite being a limited bowler who doesn't play all three formats, and despite being someone who has largely struggled over the last 5 years; he seems to think that he is undroppable. That is some entitlement. Furthermore, the vitriol he has spewed against management after being dropped once is enough of a reason to never ever bring him back again, because again, it speaks volumes about his character, his toxic personality and his own attitude towards the game.

You say the Pakistani system has problems. I agree. So let's look at Alex Hales's example. He made some bad decisions off the field but did that mean his performances in England colors deserved to be completely forgotten? Especially when Ben Stokes was given a slap on the wrist while Hales is yet to be brought back eventhough the statue of limitations on his punishment ran out a long time ago. And yet I didn't hear a single bad word from him about Morgan or the English management even when he was well within his right to do so having not played for England in 2 years and having the best years of his playing career robbed.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 13th May 2021 at 16:45.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You say the Pakistani system has problems. I agree. So let's look at Alex Hales's example. He made some bad decisions off the field but did that mean his performances in England colors deserved to be completely forgotten? Especially when Ben Stokes was given a slap on the wrist while Hales is yet to be brought back eventhough the statue of limitations on his punishment ran out a long time ago. And yet I didn't hear a single bad word from him about Morgan or the English management even when he was well within his right to do so having not played for England in 2 years and having the best years of his playing career robbed.
    Why would Alex Hales care when he is already making money off Leagues.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would Alex Hales care when he is already making money off Leagues.
    Believe it or not, but for some people doing well for their country is the ultimate honor, as opposed to getting as rich as they possibly can.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 13th May 2021 at 18:06.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He was never going to be the same bowler after the 5 year ban.

There is no way anyone can reach the same level after such a long lay'off.

Expectations were too high, he was never going to be the bowler so many wanted him to be.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believe it or not, but for some people doing well for their country is the ultimate honor, as opposed to getting as rich as they possibly can.
    Thats all formality they would want you to believe. In reality a smart man would think of money to feed there families instead of thinking of petty things like nationalism. In that case Amir was well with in his right to call off his international career if he did not agree with the system.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan pacer Mohammad Amir, who retired from all formats of cricket at the age of 28, opened up on his plans regarding applying for British Citizenship which may make him eligible to play in the Indian Premier League. Players from Pakistan are not allowed to play in the IPL due to tense political relations between the two countries.

But Amir, who is currently settled in the UK with his family, can participate in the lucrative T20 league if he holds British citizenship, exactly how Azhar Mahmood was able to participate in the IPL.

In a recent interview, the former Pakistan bowler was asked if he plans to do so in the future.

"At the moment I’ve been granted indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom. I’m enjoying my cricket these days and plan to play for another 6 or 7 years so let’s see how things go," Amir told Pakpassion.net.

"My children will grow up in England and receive their education there so no doubt I will be spending a fair amount of time there," he further replied.

At the moment, I've not really thought about the other possibilities and opportunities available and how things will turn out when I receive British citizenship in the future," Amir further added.

Meanwhile, the 14th edition of Indian Premier League 2021 was cancelled after several people were tested positive for the Covid-19 virus inside the tournament's bio-bubble.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...825237518.html
    Last edited by MenInG; 13th May 2021 at 20:50.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats all formality they would want you to believe. In reality a smart man would think of money to feed there families instead of thinking of petty things like nationalism. In that case Amir was well with in his right to call off his international career if he did not agree with the system.
    First off, wow. You make it seem as if they are street cricketers instead of international cricketers. And if you really think that any of the guys in Pakistan's national team are having trouble feeding their families than you my friend are deeply out of touch with reality.

Your remark is insulting to 79% of people in this country who are actually living hand to mouth and having trouble feeding their families.

Secondly, you're wrong. Because everyone cares about representing their country regardless of what you may want to believe. Even someone like Amir cared about it till it was useful in making him an attractive commodity in the T20 mercenary market.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 13th May 2021 at 21:38.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan pacer Mohammad Amir who retired from international cricket at the age of 28 in December last year has opened up on his plans to participate in the Indian Premier League (IPL).

The left-arm pacer is currently playing franchise cricket across the world and plans to raise his kids in England. Doors for Amir to play in the IPL, world's biggest T20 league, can open once he gets the British Citizenship. In a recent interview Mohammad Amir revealed that he plans to play cricket for another 6 to 7 years but haven't really thought about his plans after receiving the citizenship.

"At the moment I’ve been granted indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom. I’m enjoying my cricket these days and plan to play for another 6 or 7 years so let’s see how things go. My children will grow up in England and receive their education there so no doubt I will be spending a fair amount of time there. At the moment, I’ve not really thought about the other possibilities and opportunities available and how things will turn out when I receive British citizenship in the future," Amir told PakPassion.net.

Mohammad in his controversial international career played 36 Tests, 61 ODIs and 50 T20Is. He had cited ‘mental torture’ by the management as the reason behind his decision. The fast bowler had openly criticised Pakistan coaching staff including Waqar Younis and Misbah-ul-Haq on more than one occasion.

Further, Mohammad Amir shunned allegations that he retired from international cricket to play in T20 leagues across the globe and make money. He took an indirect dig without naming anyone and said that his actions have always been unnecessarily twisted by some people.

"Some have such a mindset where they feel that a certain person can never do anything right. No matter what that player does, they will twist it and turn it into a negative. I am only playing in the leagues that are available to other Pakistani cricketers and it’s not as if there are any special leagues being organised just for my benefit. Are other players being called out for putting money first? For example, Haider Ali recently signed to play in the Caribbean Premier League, are people calling him a money-grabber? If players are getting an opportunity to play in a league, then they should go for it.

"When I was dropped from the Pakistan side, I was going to grab every opportunity so that I could improve and prove to others that I can still perform and people accepted that. But, then when I retired from Test cricket and I was playing in leagues around the world, suddenly people started saying it was all about money," Amir added.

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cri...894-2021-05-12

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Pakistan speedster, who retired on December 17 2021 from all forms of international cricket has shifted his base to the United Kingdom. He is soon going to apply for British citizenship that will allow him to participate in the Indian Premier League (IPL).

The 28-year old pacer retired from all forms of international cricket after he was dropped from the 35-member squad. He had his differences with the Pakistan selection committee as dealing with them was like "mental torture" for him. Mohammad Amir said being left out of the Pakistan squad for their ongoing tour of New Zealand was a 'wake-up' call for him and he has decided not to continue at the international level.

But how can he get British citizenship?

Mohammed Amir got married in 2016 to a British citizen named Narjis Khan. She is a lawyer by profession. Narjis is believed to have played an important role in fighting for Amir when he was jailed for match-fixing allegations in 2009. He also has two daughters who are studying in England. Amir can apply for citizenship based on his British spouse.

In an interview with PakPassion.net, Amir said, “At the moment I’ve been granted indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom. I’m enjoying my cricket these days and plan to play for another 6 or 7 years so let’s see how things go. My children will grow up in England and receive their education there so no doubt I will be spending a fair amount of time there.”

Mohammed Amir can then play in IPL as a British citizen. Amir won't be the first Pakistani cricketer to do so. Azhar Mehmood too acquired British citizenship and later on played for Kings XI Punjab and Kolkata Knight Riders in IPL.

On playing in the IPL, Amir said: “At the moment, I’ve not really thought about the other possibilities and opportunities available and how things will turn out when I receive British citizenship in the future.”

After being infamous for a fixing scandal in 2009 as a teenager, Mohammed Amir came back strong in 2016 after serving his 5 years ban. At retirement, Amir had played 36 Tests, 61 ODIs and 49 T20Is for Pakistan since his debut in 2009.

Indian captain, Virat Kohli had gifted his own bat to Mohammed Amir during a series in 2016.

"To be honest, I don't think I can play cricket under this management, I am leaving cricket, for now, I am being mentally tortured, I cannot handle it, I have seen it enough from 2010-2015. I have to repeatedly hear that PCB invested a lot in me, I am thankful to Shahid Afridi as he gave me chances when I came back after the ban," Amir had said after his retirement in December.

Will we see a Pakistan speedster in IPL yet again? Only time will tell.

https://news.abplive.com/sports/cric...in-ipl-1458219

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL should not pick him even if he is allowed to play due to his British passport. It will send a wrong precedent for future fixers. Also, question will be asked, if Amir is allowed to play in IPL...why not Sreesanth?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    IPL standards are high. I doubt they will want a 127-132 km/hr spinner

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the first part he was blaming the team management for putting pressure on him and then later it was the critics which forced him to quit international cricket.

It's as if he was looking for a way out to have an easier joyful life traveling around the world playing league cricket.

It's either that or he is just mentally weak and not able to withstand pressure from peers and authoritative figures. He expected everyone to clap for him because Sir Amir graced us with his presence on the field?

I am an Amir fan, but I don't feel any connection to his narrative of the story. He seems like a very sensitive dude who is heartbroken because someone said they were disappointed he quit tests.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    IPL should not pick him even if he is allowed to play due to his British passport. It will send a wrong precedent for future fixers. Also, question will be asked, if Amir is allowed to play in IPL...why not Sreesanth?
    IPL has Smith and Warner, who is also in the headlines right now as it seems the sandpaper gate involved more than just those two.

Nobody cares about what a player has done, if the player is good enough any franchise will go for him.

The only reason Amir will not make the IPL is because:
    A) He is still a Pakistani.
    B) He might not be good enough to hog an overseas slot.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan's biggest loss since 2010 has been Mohammad Amir. He was destined for greatness.

Maybe most people here don't know about what he could have been, but if he had played throughout the decade, I'm pretty sure he'd have about 300+ test wickets, 200+ ODI wickets, and a lot more T20 wickets as well.

The current Amir is still capable of getting the ball to swing, but he doesn't breach 140kph regularly. Instead, he has adopted a type of approach similar to Bhuvneshwar Kumar, bowl at an okay-ish pace but try and keep it as accurate as possible.

There are still glimpses of the raw talent and potential superstar we see from time to time, but none of us know what is preventing him from reaching that same level once more.

Perhaps a break from playing for Pakistan will help him revive his career. I hope the PCB understands what a fully fit and in-form Amir will be like, and I hope that they bridge this misunderstanding as soon as possible.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Amir announced his retirement from international cricket in December last year, much to the surprise of Pakistan and international cricket fans around the world. The Pakistan cricketer represented the country in 36 Tests, 61 ODIs, and 50 T20Is.

It was also revealed earlier this week that Amir is applying for British citizenship and that he is willing to play in the Indian Premier League.

In an exclusive interview with India TV, former Pakistan spinner Danish Kaneria opened up on Amir's decision to retire despite being at his prime as a bowler, saying that Amir has "let down" the people of Pakistan.

"Mohammad Amir is letting down the people of Pakistan, and his fellow teammates and the PCB who helped him during the spot-fixing case. PCB went out of the line to help him," Kaneria told India TV.

"When you're jailed in England, you're banned from traveling to the country for 8-10 years. The PCB and ECB made special arrangements for Amir to allow him to travel when Pakistan toured England after his return to the international team. He was helped because everyone knew he was a bright young talent."

Kaneria also talked about his own treatment from the PCB, saying that Amir received "special treatment" to facilitate his comeback.

"Salman Butt played domestic cricket on his return but he wasn't given a chance to make an international comeback. The rule should be the same for everyone. This includes me too. From the era of Najam Sethi to now, it's been 11 years since my ban. But Amir received special treatment," said Kaneria.

"When Amir was banned, Pakistan gave opportunities to many players like Junaid Khan, Mohammad Irfan, and Jr. Imran Khan, among others. But as soon as Amir returned, all of these players were sidelined. You ended the career of these players, and what did Amir give you in return?"

Talking about Amir's return to Pakistan in 2016, Kaneria also pointed out that his comeback was not supported by many players in the team but Misbah was one of the few who helped his return to the side.

"He is lucky that he was given a chance to represent Pakistan again. But now he has retired because he can't play with the management of Waqar Younis and Misbah-ul-Haq. But Misbah was also among the ones who brought Amir back in the side.

"Mohammad Hafeez was strictly against his return to Pakistan team but PCB pressurized him to support the bowler's return. There were other members in the team who didn't support Amir's comeback and PCB helped him regardless and created a platform for him to return and regain his lost pride," said Kaneria.

Kaneria further said that while he has no issues with Amir's desire to play in the IPL, the bowler is certainly setting a bad precedent for the upcoming generation of cricketers in Pakistan.

"I don't have an issue with Amir wanting to say in England or his desire to play in IPL. But Amir regained his fame and respect from a point where most players fade away into nothingness. He was lucky and he didn't respect that.

"With his decision to retire, he is setting a bad precedent. The young cricketers who looked up to him will now find it easy to switch nationalities if they don't get selected. This is wrong," said Kaneria.

https://www.indiatvnews.com/sports/c...kaneria-704921

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fairly certain Amir will turn up in the IPL. The franchises don't care as long as the player has dual-citizenship and lives in another country. Otherwise Imran Tahir and Azhar Mahmood would not have played in the IPL.

As for Amir, he was barely interested in putting in the hard yards in international cricket in the first place and this was always a sensible out for him. And even when he did, when he was playing all three formats; there was rarely anything that made you stand up from your seat and take notice.

I personally have no problem with him quitting international cricket to become a T20 mercenary because he was an overrated bowler to begin with who only performed in big matches and delivered mediocrity for the rest of the year. That said, he really needs to stop acting like a victim because no one is buying it.

Most of the Pakistani fans feel a certain way about him and that is never going to change, no matter how hard he tries to paint what happened to him as a great injustice. Because actions always speak louder than words.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 16th May 2021 at 19:55.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Fairly certain Amir will turn up in the IPL. The franchises don't care as long as the player has dual-citizenship and lives in another country. Otherwise Imran Tahir and Azhar Mahmood would not have played in the IPL.

As for Amir, he was barely interested in putting in the hard yards in international cricket in the first place and this was always a sensible out for him. And even when he did, when he was playing all three formats; there was rarely anything that made you stand up from your seat and take notice.

I personally have no problem with him quitting international cricket to become a T20 mercenary because he was an overrated bowler to begin with who only performed in big matches and delivered mediocrity for the rest of the year. That said, he really needs to stop acting like a victim because no one is buying it.

Most of the Pakistani fans feel a certain way about him and that is never going to change, no matter how hard he tries to paint what happened to him as a great injustice. Because actions always speak louder than words.
    Not sure why we think that IPL franchises are sitting around waiting for Amir to show up. He will be expected to earn his keep if he does play for them so its not going to be easy for him.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Not sure why we think that IPL franchises are sitting around waiting for Amir to show up. He will be expected to earn his keep if he does play for them so its not going to be easy for him.
    Tbh, I have seen alot of average players get picked for alot of money in the IPL which is why it wouldn't surprise me if he got picked. I think most of all, he has name recognition in India, which can be a major factor in fetching you alot of money and I'll even admit that he is a good T20 bowler.

The way I see it, all he really needs to do to earn an IPL contract is keep performing in whatever T20 leagues he plays around the world.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Tbh, I have seen alot of average players get picked for alot of money in the IPL which is why it wouldn't surprise me if he got picked. I think most of all, he has name recognition in India, which can be a major factor in fetching you alot of money and I'll even admit that he is a good T20 bowler.

The way I see it, all he really needs to do to earn an IPL contract is keep performing in whatever T20 leagues he plays around the world.
    He could be brought in for the novelty factor but remember this, IPL owners expect a return on investment! Its no like in Pakistan where we string people along on reputation etc.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    He could be brought in for the novelty factor but remember this, IPL owners expect a return on investment! Its no like in Pakistan where we string people along on reputation etc.
    No obviously he will still have to do well in whatever other T20 leagues he plays to get picked. And even then he will still not be a highly sought after commodity.

But I just don't feel him that him getting picked in the IPL (if he does) is that big of a deal. It'll be great for him personally and a chance to make alot of money but at the end of the day it is just another T20 league, even if it is the premier T20 league in the world.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol even if Amir gets picked in the IPL, he will not get close to top dollar. The franchises know he is desperate to play and will give him the lowest possible offer and Amir with his complete lack of self respect that he has will accept it

Debut
    Feb 2008
    Venue
    Entebbe, Uganda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Md. Amir is in auction, he will get the top dollar. Bidding war between KkR and RCB will ensure that.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Lol even if Amir gets picked in the IPL, he will not get close to top dollar. The franchises know he is desperate to play and will give him the lowest possible offer and Amir with his complete lack of self respect that he has will accept it
    But I thought you said he was a spinner and wouldn't be wanted in the IPL?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    But I thought you said he was a spinner and wouldn't be wanted in the IPL?
    He is, who will be amazed with his 127-132 km/hr cutters. I will be surprised if he gets picked at elite prices. He might get a cheap $100-200k offer

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He is, who will be amazed with his 127-132 km/hr cutters. I will be surprised if he gets picked at elite prices. He might get a cheap $100-200k offer
    So you are now admitting that he would be picked in the IPL.

Make up your mind about him.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    So you are now admitting that he would be picked in the IPL.

Make up your mind about him.
    I have. The IPL has stopped picking Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi players. Why will Amir get picked?

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think RCB will pick Amir when he is eligible to play IPL. Kohli is in very good terms with Amir and I wont be surprised if they already had discussion offline about his IPL future.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I have. The IPL has stopped picking Sri Lankan and Bangladeshi players. Why will Amir get picked?
    It's a hypothetical situation at the moment in any case as he doesn't even qualify to play in the IPL.

When he qualifies, let's see what happens.

It all depends on his form when he qualifies.
    Last edited by Saj; 17th May 2021 at 23:08.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...ing-pcb/758191

Former Pakistani pacer Mohammad Amir was castigated by tainted cricketer Danish Kaneria over his recent remarks about settling down in England. Kaneria had slammed Amir for his statement on retiring from the sport and the ex-Pakistan spinner also accused the fast bowler of 'blackmailing' the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). Amir had expressed his desire to switch base to England and the pacer also talked about applying for British citizenship in the future.

Kaneria, who has been a critic of Pakistan cricket, opined that Amir is trying to blackmail others with his statements in order to make a comeback to the Pakistani national side. Taking cognisance of Kaneria's remarks, Amir retaliated with an unpleasant remark about the former spinner. Taking to Twitter on Monday, the former Pakistani fast bowler lashed out at Kaneria and questioned his statement by taking a dig at the ex-spinner of the Green Army.

“Oh is he still here in Pakistan I thought. He understands we Pakistanis cannot do good to him, that is why this gentleman has given a similar statement one month ago. So I think we know who is blackmailing here,” Amir said in a tweet on Monday. Amir's remarks have come after Kaneria questioned the pacer's eagerness to moving to England and getting British citizenship which can also open the gates for him to feature in the Indian Premier League (IPL).

“I am taking nothing away from Mohammad Amir. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I feel he is trying to blackmail others with his statements so that he can make a return to the side. From his comments on moving to England and getting citizenship and playing the IPL, you can understand his headspace,” Kaneria said.

Amir had shocked the Pakistan cricket fraternity by announcing his retirement from international cricket in 2020. The 2017 Champions Trophy winner with Sarfaraz Ahmed-led side reportedly had a fall out with the Pakistan management which triggered his premature retirement last year.

“Mohammad Amir should realize that Pakistan were really kind to bring him back after his spot-fixing scandal. But his performance over the last 1.5 years has been absolutely zero. Agreed he bowled really well in the ICC Champions Trophy, but since then he has been on a steep decline," Kaneria had added.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because there is no bowler in Sl and Bgl in the same quality as Amir in T20s.
    When Amir qualifies, he will be picked in IPL draft pretty easily.
    Many people pretending IPL is so clean, its not. Teams only care about winning and will not hesitate to pick Amir if fits the combo
    Last edited by Farabi; 18th May 2021 at 00:39.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farabi View Post
    Because there is no bowler in Sl and Bgl in the same quality as Amir in T20s.
    When Amir qualifies, he will be picked in IPL draft pretty easily.
    Many people pretending IPL is so clean, its not. Teams only care about winning and will not hesitate to pick Amir if fits the combo
    Doubt the IPL will pick a guy who got smashed for 41 in 2 overs ie Amir

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doubt the IPL will pick a guy who got smashed for 41 in 2 overs ie Amir
    The teams at IPL have data analysts. They know how to use data, instead of posting a single data point of “41 runs in 2 overs”. All the players have bad days. Amir has a phenomenal average or 21 in T20s with an economy of 7, which makes him the best performing fast bowler in Pakistan and right up there in the world. He has big match temperament and he has won Karachi Kings and Pakistan trophies. Amir was Pak’s top wicket taker at the U19 WC and still the only Pakistani in the top 10 ODI rankings. He is also remembered fondly in India for his iconic spells against India.
    I will repeat what Mickey said: ‘Pakistan without Mohammad Amir at World T20 unimaginable’

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former pacer Mohammad Amir believes that winning Pakistan cap has become far “too easy” these days as compared to the past.

“I look at myself, I came through the school system, junior system, Under-19s, completed Pakistan Academy tours, but these days it’s far too easy to win a cap for Pakistan,” said Amir. “Whilst I was still a teenager at the time, I felt I was ready to play for my country when I was called up, which doesn’t seem to be the case these days.”

The Karachi Kings pacer was talking to PakPassion, Amir said that he is in favour of giving proper chance to the young players who are selected in the national team.

“I want younger players to play for Pakistan, but they have to be ready, and once selected, they have to be given a proper chance to perform,” he added.

The pacer also believes that if the selection committee continues to make changes, they would struggle to find the right combination.

He went on to add that discarding experienced players and bringing in players who are clearly not ready for international cricket is something that he is not in favour of and “it rarely works”.

https://www.samaa.tv/news/2021/05/it...ese-days-amir/

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Kaneria and Amir both are clowns.
    Why is importance still being given to Amir when he is retired and doesn't want to play for Pakistan again.

The way he is acting, he is not going to get any respect in future either.

Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Kaneria and Amir both are clowns.
    Why is importance still being given to Amir when he is retired and doesn't want to play for Pakistan again.

The way he is acting, he is not going to get any respect in future either.
    Make him PM of Pakistan and he'll say "l am not getting respect that I deserve. PCB should make me PM of England".
    The guy is an embarrassment to Pakistan cricket.