“We are just concerned about our middle-order in white-ball cricket" : Misbah-ul-Haq

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

“We are just concerned about our middle-order in white-ball cricket" : Misbah-ul-Haq

Misbah speaking to the press today:

On playing Zimbabwe

“You can’t just think about yourself when playing cricket. If we do that I think it is an injustice to the sport and would hamper its development. Whichever teams are strong currently, just like New Zealand is at the top, whoever is not at the top was a starter and a weak team during the initial stage of their development. How will they improve unless they play and gain exposure?”

“I don’t think this should be the mindset that we don’t allow these teams to compete. The real reason for the absence of that quality is because they are not getting that kind of cricket"

“It is another thing that we should be playing against the top teams as much as we can. You always gain a lot by playing against sides that are better than you. You learn a great deal and the team improves a lot as well. I think it is the same. When we play top teams we gain a lot just like teams below us do when they play us"

“At the same time we also have to play with other teams so that they also gain experience and improve. I think in cricket we should keep moving forward this way. These teams should get many opportunities. It shouldn’t be that if these teams are not at that stage, they should not get any opportunities,” he concluded.

On Babar Azam

“When you become the captain of the side, as you gain more experience and go through different situations, your tactics continue to improve accordingly. When you go through these situations again and again, you get an idea of what you need to do in them. You keep learning about these strategies as you play more matches. I think the same applies to Babar"

“His overall cricketing sense is remarkable. He has proved himself in every format of the sport. This can only be done by a player or batsman who understands the tactics and strategies of the opposition teams. The same thing applies to captaincy. The only thing is that with time and experience, his tactics will keep on improving. I think the way he is improving and the experience he has, he is doing a tremendous job"

On Tabish Khan

“Against Zimbabwe, we gave Tabish Khan a chance without compromising on our strengths. Faheem Ashraf is a great performer and there is no danger to his place in the side. We continue to give opportunities to players in the white-ball format as well"

Batsmen's performance against Zimbabwe

“We had great results in both series. Winning in different and tough conditions was important for the team. The openers performed well during the Test series against Zimbabwe. Fawad and Azhar Ali also made centuries. We performed better in the field as well. Hasan Ali performed extraordinarily. We would like to continue this momentum in England”

Middle-order concerns

“We are just concerned about our middle-order in white-ball cricket. We have to do something in that regard,” he added.

On Squad selection/Results/England tour

"I don't care about them and their criticism"

"We can only work and try hard. The bottom line is that results are not in our hands. As the head coach, I have not thought about my future and will not start doing that now either."

"Due to the exceptional conditions because of Covid-19 we have been able to take extended squads and have a close look at the available talent."

"But on the coming tour to England we will only pick those players who have a chance of playing in the World T20 Cup this year"

We can only work hard. The results are not in our hands. As a coach, I have not thought about my future and will not start doing that now either. People who criticise me are boiling their own blood. I don’t care about people criticising me,"

“Sometimes players don’t fit into team combinations. When Fawad Alam was performing the middle-order in the national side was already set. In my opinion, age should not be a factor. If a performer is fit enough they should get an opportunity"

“Life in a bio-bubble is not normal. Now, you can’t even meet your families during camps. International cricket adds a lot of pressure as well. It is hard but the passion of the game keeps everyone going. Spending time together has brought the entire team closer"

“We have bigger squads because of the prevailing circumstances. We are taking junior players along keeping in mind what we might need in the future. Only the players who are likely to represent Pakistan in the World Cup will play against England. The team has a lot of young players already. There is this slogan of giving young players a chance. Even Rizwan is comparatively young. We cannot just make five changes in a flash. Even if South Africa didn’t have some of their players, we were still playing with the upcoming world cup in mind"

“No, more experiments with the team. It’s time to get serious and going along with the cricketers for tough series who have realistic chances of playing for the country”

“England series are tough and also the other series coming up including T20World Cup"

“The focus will be on finding the best playing XI in each match"
    Last edited by MenInG; 13th May 2021 at 11:30.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We are just concerned about your influence as a white ball expert on our international side Misbah Sahib

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So misbah thinks test top order is settled now?? Crazy!!

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wajid View Post
    Shrug. It probably is for the next WTC cycle to be fair. We might have several 35+ players in the top order but none of them have mentioned even a smidgen about retirement.

I can see Imran Butt going out of the door but the rest i think will be there for the next 2 years.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought, but maybe some of that concern might subside if you just select Haris Sohail and Imad Wasim in the squad?

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wajid View Post
    I believe Babar said the same thing about the Test team being a settled side.

Not quite sure how considering what Abid & Butt were doing before these matches vs Zimbabwe but I'd expect they're on a short leash. Unfortunately, it means Saud will continue to have to wait thanks to Azhar Ali not opening.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We shouldn't have changed our ODI middle order after the 2019 World Cup, with the only change being Rizwan in and Sarfaraz out.

Haris Sohail did not deserve to be dropped, and Imad was quite reliable as a batting option.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UzmanBeast View Post
    We shouldn't have changed our ODI middle order after the 2019 World Cup, with the only change being Rizwan in and Sarfaraz out.

Haris Sohail did not deserve to be dropped, and Imad was quite reliable as a batting option.
    I'd expect both of them to be back in the squad for the next series. Saud would have played in ODI's if he was healthy and it would have been the perfect opportunity for him. I think ODI wise, they should be fine. I don't mind some experimenting with the ODI squad because there does need to be a 2023 outlook and I'm not 100% sure if Haris & Imad could or should be part of the squads at that point.

T20's middle order however... seems like a much bigger concern to me. I'm not even sure they know what the ideal opening pair but the last match was pretty interesting with Rizwan/Sharjeel/Babar/Fakhar/Hafeez as the top 5. If Haider Ali could figure it out a bit, I do think that top 6 could make a lot of sense. If they go with Babar/Rizwan as the opening pair, then they need 2 middle order batsmen which seems tougher to fill considering the recent failures of all of them (Malik/Iftikhar/Khushdil/Talat/Asif/Aziz). I also do not think going with 6 bowlers is the correct option because Hafeez is already your ideal 6th bowler option and especially so in India where spin will come into play.
    Last edited by Nasty Naz; 12th May 2021 at 03:17.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UzmanBeast View Post

Haris sohail got dropped due to fitness and injuries.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Naz View Post
    I'd expect both of them to be back in the squad for the next series. Saud would have played in ODI's if he was healthy and it would have been the perfect opportunity for him. I think ODI wise, they should be fine. I don't mind some experimenting with the ODI squad because there does need to be a 2023 outlook and I'm not 100% sure if Haris & Imad could or should be part of the squads at that point.

T20's middle order however... seems like a much bigger concern to me. I'm not even sure they know what the ideal opening pair but the last match was pretty interesting with Rizwan/Sharjeel/Babar/Fakhar/Hafeez as the top 5. If Haider Ali could figure it out a bit, I do think that top 6 could make a lot of sense. If they go with Babar/Rizwan as the opening pair, then they need 2 middle order batsmen which seems tougher to fill considering the recent failures of all of them (Malik/Iftikhar/Khushdil/Talat/Asif/Aziz). I also do not think going with 6 bowlers is the correct option because Hafeez is already your ideal 6th bowler option and especially so in India where spin will come into play.
    Haris won't be back until saud is given a reasonable chance imad yes I expect him to make a come back

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2 years into the job and their still worried about the middle order. 😳

It took England one year from going to a team that gets knocked out of a WC by Bangladesh to going to a team that looks like they’ve taken PED’s.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fakhar
    Imam
    Babar
    Haris
    Decent batsman of tests standard (May Be Hafeez, Fawad??) to stop the collapse
    Rizwan
    Faheem
    Spinning allrounder (Zafar, Nawaz, Imad, Shadab)
    Shaheen
    Rauf/Hasnain
    Hassan

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am tired of this..

Misbah invested far too much in the good for nothing Iftikhar. Shows he is a bad judge of players.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    I am tired of this..

Misbah invested far too much in the good for nothing Iftikhar. Shows he is a bad judge of players.
    In t20s Iftikhar avg 42 with a strike rate of 130. Not sure how you can say he's good for nothing. Also he's only played 13 matches so also not sure where you're getting that's he's invested far too much. Misbah has given every able power hitter a chance including youngsters like Haider and Danish. No one has performed better than Iftikhar

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    2 years into the job and their still worried about the middle order. ��

It took England one year from going to a team that gets knocked out of a WC by Bangladesh to going to a team that looks like they’ve taken PED’s.
    This is Pakistan brother not England. To put things in perspective it took us 16 years to finally find a world class wicket keeper batter after Moin Khan's retirement. Middle order is a new problem for us as we were giving youngsters chances. It will be solved soon by the return of Ifti chachu and Imad.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
    This is Pakistan brother not England. To put things in perspective it took us 16 years to finally find a world class wicket keeper batter after Moin Khan's retirement. Middle order is a new problem for us as we were giving youngsters chances. It will be solved soon by the return of Ifti chachu and Imad.
    Imo Pakistan has many decent middle order batsmen in domestic cricket, we just need a coach like Mickey Arthur who can back those youngsters and give them as much time as they need. Just look at Haider Ali, IIRC he didn’t get many games vs SA, you can’t just pick a new inexperienced player and pick him then drop him whenever you like. Once you play him you have to stick with him for a good 15 games, It’ll take away all pressure Haider Ali is dealing with right now.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since when was Moin Khan a ‘world class’ wicket-keeper batsman in the first place? He was just about a gun keeper who could bat

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Haris sohail got dropped due to fitness and injuries.
    Yet we continued to play an injured and badly out of form Shadab Khan?

Makes no sense.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I'm yet to be convinced that our Test batting is good enough to take on the stronger teams.

The openers despite Abid's runs versus Zimbabwe look like walking wickets.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tests:
    Weak points openers as Saj mentioned above...but Imam ul Haq can be one half of a long term solution.
    Also, no decent back up to Hasan, Afridi and Faheem. All we have is players with nothing to zero first class games behind them; Naseem, Rauf, Dahani, Hasnain, Moosa etc. Abbas/Tabish are short term solutions.

Odis:
    Problematic nos 5 and 6 (after Imam, Fakhar, Babar, Riz)...after trying everyone from Uncle Ifti to Big Momma, I'm afraid last throw of the dice goes to ...wait for it...Haris Sohail and Imad Wasim.

T20s:
    There's a simple solution to this; stop trying to look pretty but find a way to score 180 to 200 every game.
    Last T20 against Zimbabwe gave a clue (as someone mentioned earlier)...so why on earth NOT go with Sharjeel (if he cuts down on parathays), Riz, Babar, Fakhar, Hafeez and Imad...followed by Faheem, Hasan, Nawaz, Usman and Afridi.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    More quotes added to Post #1

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Misbah speaking to the press today:

On playing Zimbabwe

“You can’t just think about yourself when playing cricket. If we do that I think it is an injustice to the sport and would hamper its development. Whichever teams are strong currently, just like New Zealand is at the top, whoever is not at the top was a starter and a weak team during the initial stage of their development. How will they improve unless they play and gain exposure?”

“I don’t think this should be the mindset that we don’t allow these teams to compete. The real reason for the absence of that quality is because they are not getting that kind of cricket"

“It is another thing that we should be playing against the top teams as much as we can. You always gain a lot by playing against sides that are better than you. You learn a great deal and the team improves a lot as well. I think it is the same. When we play top teams we gain a lot just like teams below us do when they play us"

“At the same time we also have to play with other teams so that they also gain experience and improve. I think in cricket we should keep moving forward this way. These teams should get many opportunities. It shouldn’t be that if these teams are not at that stage, they should not get any opportunities,” he concluded.

On Babar Azam

“When you become the captain of the side, as you gain more experience and go through different situations, your tactics continue to improve accordingly. When you go through these situations again and again, you get an idea of what you need to do in them. You keep learning about these strategies as you play more matches. I think the same applies to Babar"

“His overall cricketing sense is remarkable. He has proved himself in every format of the sport. This can only be done by a player or batsman who understands the tactics and strategies of the opposition teams. The same thing applies to captaincy. The only thing is that with time and experience, his tactics will keep on improving. I think the way he is improving and the experience he has, he is doing a tremendous job"

On Tabish Khan

“Against Zimbabwe, we gave Tabish Khan a chance without compromising on our strengths. Faheem Ashraf is a great performer and there is no danger to his place in the side. We continue to give opportunities to players in the white-ball format as well"

Batsmen's performance against Zimbabwe

“We had great results in both series. Winning in different and tough conditions was important for the team. The openers performed well during the Test series against Zimbabwe. Fawad and Azhar Ali also made centuries. We performed better in the field as well. Hasan Ali performed extraordinarily. We would like to continue this momentum in England”

Middle-order concerns

“We are just concerned about our middle-order in white-ball cricket. We have to do something in that regard,” he added.

On Squad selection/Results/England tour

"I don't care about them and their criticism"

"We can only work and try hard. The bottom line is that results are not in our hands. As the head coach, I have not thought about my future and will not start doing that now either."

"Due to the exceptional conditions because of Covid-19 we have been able to take extended squads and have a close look at the available talent."

"But on the coming tour to England we will only pick those players who have a chance of playing in the World T20 Cup this year"

We can only work hard. The results are not in our hands. As a coach, I have not thought about my future and will not start doing that now either. People who criticise me are boiling their own blood. I don’t care about people criticising me,"

“Sometimes players don’t fit into team combinations. When Fawad Alam was performing the middle-order in the national side was already set. In my opinion, age should not be a factor. If a performer is fit enough they should get an opportunity"

“Life in a bio-bubble is not normal. Now, you can’t even meet your families during camps. International cricket adds a lot of pressure as well. It is hard but the passion of the game keeps everyone going. Spending time together has brought the entire team closer"

“We have bigger squads because of the prevailing circumstances. We are taking junior players along keeping in mind what we might need in the future. Only the players who are likely to represent Pakistan in the World Cup will play against England. The team has a lot of young players already. There is this slogan of giving young players a chance. Even Rizwan is comparatively young. We cannot just make five changes in a flash. Even if South Africa didn’t have some of their players, we were still playing with the upcoming world cup in mind"

“No, more experiments with the team. It’s time to get serious and going along with the cricketers for tough series who have realistic chances of playing for the country”

“England series are tough and also the other series coming up including T20World Cup"

“The focus will be on finding the best playing XI in each match"
    grand father Misbah sahib; even playing for so long, how come you are still clueless in whiite ball cricket

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    move Rizwan to middle order, problem solved

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    move Rizwan to middle order, problem solved
    Then we'll have openers as an issue. Rizwan and Babar are our two best batters, they need to face maximum balls

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Then we'll have openers as an issue. Rizwan and Babar are our two best batters, they need to face maximum balls
    no openers issue, open with Sharjeel and Babar with Fakhar at #3

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I'm yet to be convinced that our Test batting is good enough to take on the stronger teams.

The openers despite Abid's runs versus Zimbabwe look like walking wickets.
    playing just 5 batsmen including these 2 poor openers will be exposed as soon as we play anyone decent.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    no openers issue, open with Sharjeel and Babar with Fakhar at #3
    Why replace an opener with an inferior batter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2854 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former batsman Ramiz Raja has once again stressed on the upliftment of Pakistan cricket. Recently, the Babar Azam-led national returned victorious from their Africa tour where they defeated South Africa in the limited-overs leg and continued the victory run against Zimbabwe as well. However, Ramiz wasn’t pleased with Pakistan’s win in the Zimbabwe Tests as he called it a ‘mismatched series’.

In a conversation with Pakistan media, Raja highlighted the necessity of a team director for the national team. With the T20I World Cup on the horizon, the former cricketer also suggested that the Pakistan cricket team could have a separate coach for the shortest format.

“If you start fearing defeats, you end up losing. I feel, and according to modern thinking, this team needs a team director. Until and unless you don't streamline the coaching system in U-19 team, the A team, the academies, the first-class team and the Pakistan team, until then the major issues will not be resolved,” told Ramiz Raja in a video, shared on YouTube channel ‘The Indian News’.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...414353821.html