Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United are ready to pay the £16.8m release clause to sign River Plate's Argentina striker Julian Alvarez in January, having edged ahead of Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter Milan in the race for the 21-year-old. (Sport - in Spanish)

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ralf Rangnick: Man Utd more than just Cristiano Ronaldo-Bruno Fernandes partnership

Ralf Rangnick has played down the importance of Cristiano Ronaldo's partnership with Bruno Fernandes and says Manchester United must "develop as a whole team".

Questions have been raised over whether Ronaldo and Fernandes can play effectively together at both Portugal and United, in spite of their individual abilities.

Speaking on Monday Night Football, Gary Neville described the duo as "whingebags" following United's disappointing 1-1 draw away at Newcastle United, criticising the body language of two of Rangnick's senior players.

Fernandes has scored five goals and made six assists in the Premier League, slightly fewer than at the same stage last term, while Ronaldo tapped in his 14th goal of the season against Burnley on Thursday.

Rangnick insists his principal focus is on improving the chemistry and understanding of the team as a whole and not on the attacking partnership between Fernandes and Ronaldo.

"Against Burnley, we had to play without Bruno and again we did well, we played with two strikers, two wingers, two No 6s, every player in his best possible position," he told Sky Sports News.

"This is another thing we are trying to achieve, no matter which formation we are trying to play we have every player in his best possible position. So it is not only about the partnership between Cristiano and Bruno, it is about partnerships between other players.

"Yesterday it was about a partnership between Edinson [Cavani] and Cristiano and it worked well. Edinson was the player with the highest distance in the whole team.

"Since we will change the team and starting line-up every game it is about different partnerships and developing the whole team, and they should play with the same mindset and principles when we are in possession of the ball or when the other team is in possession."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...es-partnership

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Another garbage performance by Utd today.

No shape, no urgency, no cohesion.

This team is going nowhere this season.

22 points behind Man City, 4 points behind 4th placed Arsenal.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A shocking effort from United tonight and an equally stellar performance from Wolves. Should have been a bigger win than 1-0.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Luke Shaw questions Man Utd intensity and motivation after Wolves defeat

Luke Shaw has questioned Manchester United's intensity and motivation after defeat to Wolves, while Sky Sports' Jamie Redknapp described the performance as "so poor".

United had been unbeaten under interim manager Ralf Rangnick, picking up results despite some below-par showings. But they were finally beaten by Bruno Lage's Wolves on Monday evening.

Wolves had been the better side for much of the game - registering 15 shots to United's four in the first half - with Joao Moutinho's late strike condemning Rangnick to his first loss at the club.

After another poor performance, United defender Shaw gave his scathing view to Sky Sports' Patrick Davison, questioning the intensity and motivation of his team-mates.

He said: "Not good enough. We really struggled in the first half, we couldn't get hold of the ball and didn't have many options. When we didn't have the ball we weren't aggressive enough and weren't on the front foot. We didn't put them under any pressure.

"It maybe looked like an easy game for them first half. A very disappointing performance but also result.

"It didn't feel like we had many options on the ball in the first half, we weren't on the front foot. We're at home, our crowd behind us, we have to put more pressure on them, we have to have intensity. Even from the first minute, we didn't go for them, didn't pressure them, we let them feel at home and comfortable. That time is critical when you have to put your stamp on the game. We need to bring the intensity, especially with 75,000 fans roaring behind us.

"I don't think you can put it on [adjusting to a new manager]. Us players, we have been here a long time, we know what it's like when we have the intensity - when the motivation's there. But maybe tonight we struggled, I didn't think we were all there together.

"We felt like we were struggling. You look at the players we have, we have unbelievable quality but sometimes quality is not enough.

"We need to bring the intensity and more motivation. Inside the dressing room, we know what we want but out on the pitch, we need to give 100 per cent. To win these types of games we all need to be 100 per cent committed. It is tough and disappointing."

Shaw did have one positive though, praising fellow defender Phil Jones, after the centre-back made his first senior appearance in two years following a series of injuries.

"One thing I will say is Phil Jones should be proud of himself," Shaw added. "He has been criticised for years, constantly, people are always getting at him, and has gone through a lot.

"But he is so professional, he has trained hard and he was phenomenal. It was his first big game back, he was exceptional, I am very happy for him and he deserves it.

"I just want to say for Phil Jones, keep going, but we need to be better as a team."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...rmance-so-poor

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Utd just don't have it anymore. They can't compete for a place in the Champions League never mind challenging Man City for the title. They are a spent force full off old men and over expensive flops.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Some Manchester United players are struggling to adapt to interim manager Ralf Rangnick's methods and doubt whether he is the right man to be in charge at Old Trafford.

There are cliques within the United dressing room, a source has told Sky Sports News, adding that some of the players are finding it difficult to play in Rangnick's 4-2-2-2 formation.

Another source has told Sky Sports News that "they have the players at Manchester United who are ready to play, but they don't have the coach to get the best out of those players".

The same source also stressed that Rangnick's plans were disrupted in December, when the club had to close their Carrington training ground after a Covid outbreak, and that this has had an effect on performances.

Rangnick had not lost since arriving at United until Monday night, when Wolves punished yet another disappointing display by beating them 1-0, claiming their first win at Old Trafford since 1980.

United have struggled to adapt to Rangnick's high-pressing style of play, aside from a promising opening half-hour in his first game against Crystal Palace, and have gone on to scrape results against Norwich and Newcastle.

Following the 1-1 draw at St James' Park last month, after Edinson Cavani rescued a point for United, Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville questioned the togetherness of the squad.

After the game, Neville said: "Something isn't right in there. I don't know what it is, but there is definitely whinging going on - they are all at each other and not helping each other.

"The spirit of a dressing room is really important, and I don't think they're all with each other at this moment in time.

"There's a leadership struggle going on. Harry Maguire is the captain, but he doesn't feel like the captain."

SKY

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Richard Arnold will become #MUFC's chief executive on February 1, with executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward stepping down from his role before leaving the club in April.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester United interim manager Ralf Rangnick has downplayed reports of dressing room discontent at Old Trafford, saying unrest is inevitable with a deep squad.

The German has suggested the squad he inherited is too big, with many players unhappy at their lack of playing time.

United suffered a demoralising 1-0 home defeat to Wolves on Monday that could prove costly in their bid to finish in the Premier League's top four.

The Mirror newspaper reported on Thursday that as many as 17 players wanted to leave the club, who are 22 points behind leaders Manchester City.

"If you have that many players and 10 outfield players can play and three being substituted, then of course you have quite a number of players - in our case 12, 13, 14 players who don't even play, or not even being in the squad," said Rangnick on Friday.

"Then those players are not happy about that situation. It's obvious, it's clear.

"In total, we have a big squad. I tend to explain to players every two or three weeks why they are not playing but obviously I cannot do that every game and that is an issue in our team as well as in other clubs."

Paul Pogba and Edinson Cavani are the two highest-profile stars out of contract at the end of the season.

Anthony Martial looks set to leave in January, with Sevilla reportedly close to agreeing a loan deal for the France international.

Dean Henderson, Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata and Donny van de Beek could also move on in search of more first-team action.

Manchester United's interim manager Ralf Rangnick says his side still has "quite a few steps to take" following their 1-0 defeat to Wolves in the Premier League.

"We have players with contracts expiring in the summer," said Rangnick. "We have maybe also one or two players who still want to leave, although they are under contract.

"It's about the players dealing with that in a professional way. Everybody has the chance and the option to show in training, to show up and then get a chance to play.

"If this is not the case then of course the player together with club and the agents, they need to discuss the situation."

Monday's FA Cup third-round clash with Aston Villa could have been an opportunity for Rangnick to use some of his fringe players.

But the pressure is on the German not to crash out of the competition at the first hurdle after suffering the first defeat of his short reign against Wolves.

https://www.news24.com/sport/soccer/...nited-20220107

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is it with this Man Utd dressing room.

Constant discontent and issues.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Utd: Ralf Rangnick must manage 'big egos' in dressing room and board must back him, says Roy Hodgson

Ralf Rangnick must be able to manage the "big egos" within Manchester United's dressing room if he is to succeed as the club's interim manager, Roy Hodgson told The Transfer Show.

The former England and Crystal Palace manager also urged the United board to "back" Rangnick after sources told Sky Sports News that some players are beginning to doubt whether he is the right man to be in charge.

Cliques have developed within the United dressing room, according to a source, who added that some of the players are finding it difficult to play in Rangnick's 4-2-2-2 formation.

Another source said "they have the players at Manchester United who are ready to play, but they don't have the coach to get the best out of those players".

But Hodgson - who has met Rangnick on a number of occasions and says he always found him to be "impressive" - believes his fellow manager was always going to have a tough job on his hands at Old Trafford.

"He's a very serious football man who's had fantastic results wherever he's gone," said Hodgson. "I have sympathy and empathy with anybody who finds themselves in the firing line because I've been there myself.

"I think one of the problems with Ralf might have been that people have built up him and his methods in a way which is going to be very difficult to live up to. Certainly in the conversations I've had with him, it's not been a question of 'I know something in football that nobody else knows'.

"What he does know is what's required to produce a good team and get a team playing together and get the right balance between attacking and defending.

"Of course he also knows, I'm sure, about players and about how difficult it is to deal with players. Coming into Manchester United, he's definitely come into a club where there are a lot of big players, a lot of big egos, and trying to mould them together to get that balance that he really wants is never going to be an easy job. It's going to take time."

Hodgson believes one issue that could be causing Rangnick trouble is the number of first-team players at his disposal that have struggled for game time since his arrival.

Anthony Martial has already expressed his desire to leave the club, while players including Jesse Lingard, Donny van de Beek and Juan Mata have continued to be left on the sidelines after also lacking minutes under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Rangnick's predecessor.

Hodgson said: "When you've decided how you really want the team to play, what balance you want, what players are going to fit in best, who is finding themselves on the outside of that? How you deal with those is quite simply a man-management problem.

"If you're lucky and have good man-management skills, you might keep those guys on board. But it might be impossible to keep them on board.

"I don't think his problems are any different to anyone else's. If you inherit 20, 22, 24 players, all of whom are of a high calibre and all of whom think 'I've been brought to this club to make this club great again', and then they're being told 'sorry, you're not for me', there is no easy way out of that.

"What you need is results, because unfortunately every time you don't get a result that really does exacerbate the situation and stirs up things that can be impossible to deal with."

While Rangnick has won three of his six games in charge at United - and only experienced defeat for the first time against Wolves on Monday - there has been criticism of the side's performances under the German.

Following the home defeat to Wolves, Jamie Redknapp questioned why United did not pursue Antonio Conte - now the Tottenham manager - after sacking Solskjaer.

But while Hodgson believes United would have considered the Italian, he says the club's board must now show support for Rangnick after choosing him as the manager to guide them until the end of the season.

"Obviously Conte is a top manager, like Mauricio Pochettino, and when jobs come up his name's always going to be right at the very forefront," said Hodgson. "I can't imagine, if he was available, that he wasn't discussed by the Manchester United people.

"But in the end, it was Ralf - another top man - who got the job, and now it's up to the board to really back their man and try to help him through this period.

"It's not necessarily transfers that are going to get them out of the situation they're in because they have an enormous squad with enormous talent.

"It's going to be firming everything up together as a team to get the players they believe in giving their best performances."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ys-roy-hodgson

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foot...edgdhp&pc=U531

Eric Bailly could be the latest Manchester United player to push for the exit door amid interest from AC Milan, according to reports in Italy.

The defender signed a new deal last year but has found opportunities hard to come by.

Raphael Varane was signed in the summer and Bailly now sits below the Frenchman, captain Harry Maguire and Victor Lindelof in the pecking order.

Bailly has started just three Premier League games and is now weighing up his options.

He could follow teammate Axel Tuanzebe in heading to Italy for a loan move, with the latter signing for Napoli.

Sky Italia report that Milan are seeking a loan with an option to buy and Bailly is ‘currently the hottest name’ on their wish list.

The interest is said to be mutual with the Ivorian, who was signed in 2016 by Jose Mourinho, read to ‘gladly accept any call from Milan’.

Bailly's frustration reportedly peaked when he was left out for the defeat at Leicester City back in October.

Then United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer opted to name a not fully fit Harry Maguire at the heart of defence.

Bailly, according to the Telegraph, questioned his manager's decision in the dressing room and the situation has not improved under Ralf Rangnick.

The German interim boss is facing a January exodus as a host of players seek moves away having grown frustrated at their lack of minutes.

Much of that is down to the previous regime, but Rangnick is left to dissolve the various situations.

Goalkeeper Dean Henderson has vocally pushed for the exit door having been unable to usurp David de Gea.

Despite that the current United boss has told the England shotstopper that he will not be leaving in January.

Jesse Lingard has refused to sign a new deal having also struggled for minutes, despite Solskjaer claiming he had a "big role to play" under him.

The midfielder could push for a midseason exit but is said to favour a summer move when he will be available on a free.

Donny van de Beek is another who is weighing up his next move, with a place in the Dutch World Cup squad seemingly on the line.

His minutes haven't improved under Rangnick having been a peripheral figure when Solskjaer was in charge.

Edinson Cavani will be staying in Manchester however after holding productive talks with the United boss.

Rangnick said: "I told him that if it was up to me I would want him to stay and I had a conversation with him [on Thursday].

"He came to my office and we spoke for almost half an hour and he told me that he will definitely stay, he will want to stay until the end of the season."

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cristiano Ronaldo says Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick needs time to implement his ideas at Old Trafford

Cristiano Ronaldo says Ralf Rangnick needs time to implement his ideas at Manchester United after a stuttering start to life as the club's interim manager.

Rangnick replaced Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in December after the Norwegian was sacked on the back of just three wins in 11 games - a run of form that included heavy defeats to Leicester, Liverpool and Watford.

But while Rangnick has steadied the ship - with four wins from seven matches and just three goals conceded - United's football has left much to be desired, and they have scored more than one goal in a game just once since his arrival.

Ronaldo has scored twice since Rangnick's arrival and much was made of his suitability to play in the manager's system, given the German's desire for his forwards to press high up the pitch.

But in an exclusive interview with Sky Sports, Ronaldo called for Rangnick - who will take up a consultancy role at United at the end of the season - to be given patience.

"Since he arrived five weeks ago he changed many things," said Ronaldo. "But he needs time to put his ideas across to the players.

"It takes time but I believe that he is going to do a good job. We know we aren't playing the best football but we have many games to improve.

"Since he arrived I think in some points we are better, but he needs time. It's not that easy to change the mentality of players and the way they play, the culture, the system like that. I believe that he is going to do a good job."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...t-old-trafford

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick wants his players to hold each other to account after Cristiano Ronaldo questioned their mentality.

Ronaldo has expressed concern about the attitude of some his team-mates and suggested it needs to be better for United to be successful this term.

The Red Devils are currently seventh following a draw and a defeat in their last three league games.

"We have to work and develop as a team together," said Rangnick.

German Rangnick added: "If it's necessary to speak in a very direct manner to the boys it helps a lot, even in the locker room.

"If Cristiano, for example, or any of the other players address that to the players directly on the pitch or in the locker room, they are more than welcome to do that.

"I will do that myself as a coach with my coaching staff in the pre- or post-match video we do with the team and on the pitch.

"But we can only develop individual players if we develop the performances of the team. This is the only way."

Rangnick used Marcus Rashford as an example of how he believes the players are working hard to be able to do their best on the pitch - even if it is not necessarily coming off for them at the moment.

The forward has struggled for form this season and was unable to make an impact as Manchester United edged past Aston Villa in the FA Cup third round last Monday.

Ahead of the two sides meeting again on Saturday at Villa Park in the Premier League, Rangnick said of Rashford: "I was not a striker myself as a player, but as a striker it's all about playing well, scoring goals and getting assists. If that does not happen over a period of time it is not so easy.

"As long as he's trying to give his very best and he did that in training, - there were quite a few training sessions in the last couple of weeks where he trained on a really high level - and that's why I always gave him the chance to play again.

"As long as he does that he will always be on my list to play and be in the starting XI."

BBC

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester United goalkeeper Dean Henderson reportedly stormed out of the club's training ground after discovering he wasn't playing against Aston Villa, despite being promised otherwise.

The England international was expected to start Monday's FA Cup tie, as many Premier League managers opt to deploy their second-choice stopper in cup competitions.

Ralf Rangnick, however, gave David de Gea the nod. The Man Utd boss couldn't afford to take any risks due to the FA Cup being the club's best chance of winning silverware this season.

The Red Devils are already out of the EFL Cup and Premier League title race. They are still in the Champions League but aren't expected to win it.

Henderson came through the ranks at Old Trafford, but he wants to play regularly and force his way back into Gareth Southgate's England squad ahead of the World Cup in Qatar.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester United have sent a warning email to a section of supporters who attended the home fixture against Wolves on January 3 after discriminatory language was allegedly directed towards an opposition player in relation to their height.

It’s understood this email was only sent to members of the Old Trafford crowd sat in an area where the abuse was believed to have come from.

As a complaint was made after the match, it was not possible to identify individuals responsible for the abuse at the time, so the email was sent to fans in one area of the stadium to remind them of United’s anti-discrimination policies.

It’s believed that a supporter heard a few other members of the crowd mocking a Wolves player for their height and then filed a complaint to the club, prompting the later email.

The message sent by United read: “Thank you for your attendance at the Premier League fixture between Manchester United and Wolverhampton Wanderers on 3rd January 2022.

“The club have been made aware that a section of the crowd at this fixture used discriminatory language that was directed towards a Wolverhampton Wanderers player in relation to his height.

“Manchester United is fully committed to ensuring that any form of discriminatory abuse and/or offensive behaviour is eliminated and appropriate action may be taken against any individuals that are identified as participating in discriminatory and/or offensive chanting or behaviour.

“In the event that you should witness this type of prohibited discriminatory or offensive behaviour please ensure you report this via manutd.com/seered.”

United lost the match 1-0, with Wolves’ Joao Moutinho scoring the winning goal in the 82nd minute.

https://theathletic.com/news/manches.../h5YKo8WNlpog/

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    2-0 up, looking comfortable and they end up drawing 2-2.

Amateur stuff from a team with so many experienced players.

No way would Man Utd teams of yesteryear have drawn that match today, they would have killed off the match and ensured they took 3 points.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4808 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    2-0 up, looking comfortable and they end up drawing 2-2.

Amateur stuff from a team with so many experienced players.

No way would Man Utd teams of yesteryear have drawn that match today, they would have killed off the match and ensured they took 3 points.
    Villa have been held by mid table Man-U, disappointing @KingKhanWC

Great result for Man-U though, fair play.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick has claimed striker Anthony Martial refused to be involved in Saturday's 2-2 draw with Aston Villa.

Martial, 26, has already told Rangnick he wants to leave United this month.

Sevilla are keen on the France forward but have been unable to match his wages or offer the loan fee United want.

Martial has not started a Premier League game since 2 October and has not featured at all since the 3-2 win against Arsenal on 2 December.

He has not been selected for recent squads.

However, with injuries, Africa Nations Cup absences and Covid absentees meaning he only had six outfield substitutes for the game at Villa Park, Rangnick asked Martial if he wanted to be involved. The answer was negative.

"He didn't want to be in the squad," said Rangnick.

"He would have been in the squad normally but he didn't want to and that was the reason why he didn't travel with us yesterday."

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick has grown frustrated with the club's reluctance to back him in the transfer window, and the 63-year-old German is concerned over how much influence he will hold when he takes up his two-year consultancy role in the summer. (Mirror)

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couts bhai come back to haunt Man Utd big time

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebat View Post
    Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick has grown frustrated with the club's reluctance to back him in the transfer window, and the 63-year-old German is concerned over how much influence he will hold when he takes up his two-year consultancy role in the summer. (Mirror)
    How much did Man Utd spend in the summer? They even signed the great Sancho who thus far has done nothing for them, they were obsessed with him. Already a massive squad they need to get rid off players before signing more. Problem is no one wants the like of Martial.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    France striker Anthony Martial has rejected interim Manchester United boss Ralf Rangnick's claim that he refused to be in the squad to play Aston Villa.

United let a two-goal lead slip as they drew 2-2 in the Premier League game at Villa Park on Saturday.

Martial has already told Rangnick he wants to leave United this month and Sevilla are keen to sign him.

"I will never refuse to play a match for Man Utd," said the 26-year-old forward in a social media post.

"I've been here for seven years and I never disrespected and will never disrespect the club and the fans."

Sevilla have been unable to match Martial's wages or offer the loan fee United want in order to sign the forward.

Martial has not started a Premier League game since 2 October and has not featured at all since the 3-2 win against Arsenal on 2 December.

However with injuries as well as Africa Nations Cup and Covid absentees meaning he only had six outfield substitutes for the game at Villa Park, Rangnick asked Martial if he wanted to be involved and claims the answer was negative.

"He would have been in the squad normally but he didn't want to and that was the reason why he didn't travel with us yesterday (Friday)."

Martial has scored 56 goals in 173 Premier League appearances for United.

The club's refusal to sanction his sale in summer 2018 was one of the triggers for a downturn in relations with Jose Mourinho that eventually led to the Portuguese's departure from the club.

In January 2019, under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the forward signed a new contract that runs to 2024.

BBC

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    838 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Villa have been held by mid table Man-U, disappointing @KingKhanWC

Great result for Man-U though, fair play.
    I was very disappointed!

Villa for the 2nd game in a row should have beaten Utd easily.

But it was nice to see Stevie and Phillip ex LFC pair turn on the style to level it up!

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    France striker Anthony Martial has rejected interim Manchester United boss Ralf Rangnick's claim that he refused to be in the squad to play Aston Villa.

United let a two-goal lead slip as they drew 2-2 in the Premier League game at Villa Park on Saturday.

Martial has already told Rangnick he wants to leave United this month and Sevilla are keen to sign him.

"I will never refuse to play a match for Man Utd," said the 26-year-old forward in a social media post.

"I've been here for seven years and I never disrespected and will never disrespect the club and the fans."

Sevilla have been unable to match Martial's wages or offer the loan fee United want in order to sign the forward.

However with injuries as well as Africa Nations Cup and Covid absentees meaning he only had six outfield substitutes for the game at Villa Park, Rangnick asked Martial if he wanted to be involved and claims the answer was negative.

"He would have been in the squad normally but he didn't want to and that was the reason why he didn't travel with us yesterday (Friday)."

Martial has scored 56 goals in 173 Premier League appearances for United.

The club's refusal to sanction his sale in summer 2018 was one of the triggers for a downturn in relations with Jose Mourinho that eventually led to the Portuguese's departure from the club.

In January 2019, under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, the forward signed a new contract that runs to 2024.

BBC
    surprised ac milan are not interested, considering thr 1 point behind inter at 2nd place

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brentford 1-3 Manchester United: Anthony Elanga, Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford on target in away win

Second-half goals from Anthony Elanga, Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford ensured Manchester United moved to within two points of the Champions League places with a morale-boosting 3-1 win at Brentford.

Ralf Rangnick's side were indebted to the brilliance of David de Gea in the first half as he twice kept out efforts from Mathias Jensen from point-blank range.

But United punished Brentford's profligacy in the second period as Elanga met Fred's cross to score only his second league goal for the club (55) before Greenwood tapped home Bruno Fernandes' pass (62) for his first league goal since October.

Cristiano Ronaldo looked disgruntled as he was replaced by Marcus Rashford, but Rangnick's change was vindicated as the substitute's tidy finish from another Fernandes pass put the seal on an impressive second-half showing (72).

The result means United stay in seventh place in the Premier League courtesy of Tottenham's 3-2 win at Leicester earlier on Wednesday - but now level on points with Arsenal in sixth.

Ivan Toney scrambled home his fifth Premier League goal of the season - and only third in open play - with five minutes remaining but Brentford remain in 14th place on 23 points, still 10 points clear of the relegation zone.

https://www.skysports.com/football/b.../report/446449

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester United supporting Victor Lindelof and his family after their house was broken into during Wednesday's match against Brentford.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Swedish footballer's wife said the family "managed to hide and lock ourselves in a room before they entered our house".

Lindelof did not find out what had happened until after the Premier League match.

A statement from Manchester United said: "We can confirm that a break-in occurred at Victor Lindelof's house during the away game against Brentford.

"His family, who were at home at the time, were unhurt but clearly shaken.

"This was a distressing experience for them, and for Victor when he learned of it after the game, and the club is providing them with our full support.

"We encourage anyone with information about the crime to contact the police."

On Instagram, Lindelof's wife Maja said: "During Victor's game this Wednesday night we had a break-in at our house in Manchester.

"I was home alone with both kids but we managed to hide and lock ourselves in a room before they entered our house.

"We are OK under the circumstances but it was obviously a very traumatic and scary moment for both and my little kids.

"We are now in Sweden and are spending some time off with our families."

Lindelof will now spend time with his family in Sweden and not play in Saturday's match against West Ham, Manchester United manager Ralf Rangnick said.

"I spoke with him at length on our flight back home from London and also this morning. We spoke for 20 or 25 minutes, he told me what actually happened," Rangnick told reporters.

"This was a traumatic event, especially for his wife and three-year-old son. He said to me right now he needs to stay at home, he doesn't want to leave his wife and family on their own.

"I can fully understand, being a father of two children myself. We agreed he will not be on duty tomorrow for the game."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...?ocid=msedgntp

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Marcus Rashford scored the winner with virtually the last kick of the game as Manchester United leapfrogged West Ham into the Premier League's top four.

It seemed certain to be another frustrating afternoon for the hosts, who were stifled by the Hammers' organisation and otherwise came no closer than Fred's second-half effort that was saved by Alphonse Areola.

But with less than 30 seconds of the three minutes of injury time remaining, United broke and in a move that involved all three substitutes, Edinson Cavani held his run to remain onside as he collected Anthony Martial's short pass before rolling a cross to the far post, where it was converted by Rashford.

The result was harsh on the Hammers. In a game of few chances, Jarrod Bowen drove a shot into the side-netting before Tomas Soucek's glancing header bounced just wide of the far post with four minutes remaining.

But Rashford had the final word as United secured back-to-back wins for the first time under Ralf Rangnick.

The result takes United into the top four for the first time in three months, with the Hammers dropping down to fifth, although Tottenham and Arsenal could overtake them if they win their games on Sunday.

Such has been the difficulty of United's season, entering the rare January international break on the back of one defeat in 13 games since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's dismissal on 21 November has to be seen as relative success.

There are still numerous problems for Rangnick to address, most immediately the futures of Martial, who was greeted with boos and cheers as he was introduced for the first time since Rangnick's arrival amid interest from Sevilla and his well-publicised desire to leave, and Jesse Lingard before the transfer window closes on 31 January.

A season spiralling out of control has been stabilised to an extent but this latest effort was unconvincing and another of those days when Cristiano Ronaldo failed to live up to his superstar billing.

The neck injury Rangnick revealed Ronaldo was suffering from in the build-up to the game eased sufficiently to allow the 36-year-old to start but there was little in his performance to suggest he was happy with his situation.

An elaborate tee-up to a 25-yard free-kick only produced a shot straight into the wall and then he moaned at Mason Greenwood for not crossing the rebound into an area he had ventured into rather than shooting, which is what the youngster did.

Passes went astray too frequently and a penalty claim was waved away by referee Jon Moss.

Ronaldo was still shaking his head minutes later but TV replays showed Kurt Zouma made little meaningful contact with the United forward, certainly not enough to send him flying in the box.

There was more elaborate complaining after half-time when he was penalised for a high kick on Craig Dawson, whose head, Ronaldo felt, was too low.

Rangnick stuck with the veteran though. And, with the rest of his team-mates, he was celebrating at the final whistle.

Rice unrewarded

Of England's Euro 2020 heroes from last summer, none has kicked on in their club careers the way Declan Rice has.

West Ham fans will hate it and, as Moyes points out, the 23-year-old has a contract that runs to 2024. But Rice is hot property.

When he strode from the tunnel first before kick-off, it was impossible not to think he might be doing that walk on a more regular basis in future.

His screening of the Hammers' defence was immaculate and the way he nipped in to dispossess Ronaldo, before racing away from his opponent as he tried to win the ball back, had a touch of impudence and authority in equal measure.

As Moyes' awful personal run of away games without a win at 'big six' teams extends to 45, Rice will know many of those clubs would take him right now.

Even with a European campaign to look forward to in the second half of the season, West Ham know keeping their skipper will be the biggest task of the summer.

Manchester United's next game is in the FA Cup, against Middlesbrough at Old Trafford, on Friday, 4 February (20:00 GMT). West Ham are in FA Cup action the following day, at non-league Kidderminster (12:30 GMT).

BBC

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donny van de Beek: Everton and Crystal Palace in negotiations with Man Utd to sign midfielder

Everton are in talks with Manchester United over a loan move for Donny van de Beek before the transfer window closes on Monday.

United are open for Van de Beek to leave on a straight loan, providing there is a loan fee and his wages are paid in full.

Everton face competition for the Netherlands international from fellow Premier League side, Crystal Palace, who remain in negotiations with United after Dennis Bergkamp - the father of Van de Beek's partner - triggered the talks.

Palace boss Patrick Vieira is pushing for a deal after his former Arsenal team-mate Bergkamp contacted him about Van de Beek, who is in a relationship with the Dutchman's daughter Estelle, with the pair expecting their first child this year.

Vieira is hoping to convince Van de Beek that joining Palace is a good move for him with guaranteed first-team football, while the Frenchman also wants more experience in his side for the second half of the season.

Valencia are also in discussions with United over the 24-year-old, but there are doubts whether the Spanish side could cover his salary.

Netherlands midfielder Van de Beek has struggled to break into the first team at Old Trafford since a £39m move from Ajax in the summer of 2020.

He has been a largely peripheral figure under both current interim manager Ralf Rangnick and former boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer despite a goalscoring debut for the club, which incidentally came against Palace.

It is thought Van de Beek felt let down by Solskjaer after he had given him assurances over playing time.

But Van de Beek has also struggled to make an impact under Rangnick, having been restricted to just 380 minutes of action this season without starting a Premier League match.

He has just two goals and two assists to his name in 50 United appearances.

The player's priority is to get more regular first-team football and if that is to be away from Old Trafford, the feeling is Van de Beek would maintain his value in the summer. Irrespective, Van de Beek's future will be re-assessed after the season ends when United have a new manager in place.

Vieira is very happy with his squad but feels they are lacking one or two experienced players with European experience. The Eagles boss has said he is still looking to add to his squad in January.

Van de Beek had been the talisman of Ajax's exciting young team under Erik ten Hag, which reached the Champions League semi-finals in 2019, scoring six goals in the competition and 28 more in over 100 appearances in the Eredivisie.

The midfielder has three-and-a-half years to run on his contract at Old Trafford, although United hold an option to extend the deal by a further year. Netherlands boss Louis van Gaal has not selected him since taking over last year.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ign-midfielder

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Utd are now a mid table club. They won't be signing anyone at all it seems mostly likely because the owners won't release any funds. Then again they spent millions on Sancho and Pogba their golden boys who have not done much for them. Any impending signing will be looking at if the manager is settled or not.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United are increasingly confident of appointing Paris St-Germain boss Mauricio Pochettino as their permanent manager in the summer. (Mirror)

Argentine Pochettino, 49 is said to have tired of the criticism he has endured in the French capital and does not intend to remain with the club beyond this season. (Footmercato)

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jesse Lingard insists his 'headspace is clear' after Ralf Rangnick says Man Utd forward needed to 'clear up his mind'

Jesse Lingard insists his "headspace is clear" after Ralf Rangnick said the forward asked Manchester United to take some time off to "clear up his mind".

United interim boss Rangnick revealed Lingard is unavailable for Friday's FA Cup fourth-round tie against Middlesbrough as he takes a short break after the board blocked him from leaving in January amid interest from Newcastle and West Ham.

Rangnick said at a press conference on Thursday: "Jesse asked me and the club if he could have a couple of days off just to clear up his mind. He will be back in the group I suppose next Monday and part of the squad again."

However, Lingard later took to Twitter to contradict his manager's comments. He said: "The club advised me to have time off due to personal reasons!

"But my headspace is clear and I'll always be professional when called upon and give 100 per cent."

Rangnick revealed the situation regarding Mason Greenwood was partly behind the decision to keep Lingard for the rest of the campaign.

Greenwood, who was arrested on Sunday on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman, has been released on bail pending further investigation and remains suspended by United.

"Three weeks ago Jesse didn't want to leave," Rangnick said. "Then he changed his mind.

"I had a chat with him some 10 days ago and I could fully understand why he wanted to leave to get game time for his future, also for the World Cup.

"I said to him at the time in case he finds a club where he would like to play for and also the club finds a solution with our club, I would let him go, I would allow him to leave.

"Obviously with all the developments we had in the last couple of days, things changed a little bit.

"On the other hand, we also had no agreement with any other club, so at one stage we had to take a final decision together with the board and we decided to rather keep Jesse until the end of the season."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ough-in-fa-cup

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United are preparing to make a summer bid for Uruguay centre back Ronald Araujo, 22, whose Barcelona deal expires in 2023. (Marca - in Spanish)

United are ready to rival Bayern Munich and Barcelona in the race to sign 22-year-old Netherlands defender Matthijs de Ligt from Juventus. (Calciomercato - in Italian)

The Red Devils are planning to overhaul their midfield in the summer with West Ham's Declan Rice, 23, his 26-year-old England team-mate Kalvin Phillips from Leeds and RB Leipzig's Mali international Amadou Haidara, 24, all on the club's extensive list of targets. (ESPN)

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fred and Tellas have tested positive for Coronavirus and will miss Utd's next match vs Burnley.

'If you cant support us when we lose or draw then dont support us when we win"
    Bill Shankly

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United boss Ralf Rangnick believes club getting better despite FA Cup exit

Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick says the club are improving on the pitch despite the shock FA Cup exit to Middlesbrough.

The Old Trafford defeat by Chris Wilder's Championship side ended any realistic hope of United winning their first domestic silverware since 2017.

It was the fifth time in 11 games under Rangnick that United had failed to win.

"I'm absolutely convinced we're playing on a higher level than we used to play a couple of weeks ago," Rangnick said.

"Both in possession and if the other team is in possession, the team has improved."

United have moved up from seventh to fourth in the Premier League table since Rangnick took over.

The 63-year-old is philosophical about the immediate outlook for the club, which he will lead to the end of the season before taking on a two-year consultancy.

That role will include offering advice on who Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's permanent replacement as manager should be.

"Right now we are fourth in the league and everybody on the inside of the club including myself would be happy if we finish fourth at the end of the season," he said.

And, before the trip to Burnley, when asked how far United were away from winning their first Premier League title since 2013, Rangnick replied: "You just need to have a look at the table.

"But it doesn't help us discussing that now in the middle of the season with me only arrived 10 weeks ago. This is a topic for the end of the season or maybe a couple of weeks before the end.

"If Manchester United has not won a title in the last 10 years there must be some good reasons for that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60295830

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Utd boss Ralf Rangnick: 'We scored three goals'

Ralf Rangnick admitted his Manchester United side were not good enough after they slipped out of the Premier League top four with a 1-1 draw against relegation-battling Burnley.

United dominated the first half at Turf Moor but, after two strikes were ruled out, had only Paul Pogba's first league goal in over a year to show for it.

And that proved costly as Burnley emerged from the tunnel a different team after the break, levelling swiftly through Jay Rodriguez's 100th league goal - and first in 50 league appearances - before threatening a winner through the lively Wout Weghorst.

Coming after Friday's FA Cup exit at the hands of Middlesbrough, it was another frustrating night for United, whose problems remain obvious at both ends of the pitch 12 games into Rangnick's interim reign.

The German criticised the officials for disallowing first a Raphael Varane header because Harry Maguire had been offside, then a Josh Brownhill own goal because Pogba had fouled Erik Pieters in the build-up, but accepted his side had not done enough.

"We scored three goals. That was different from last Friday when we only scored one goal in the first half. Tonight we scored three goals," he said on BT Sport.

"At the end, it is a frustrating evening for us because we should have won that game easily after the first half and even the last 25 minutes we had full control and dominated the game but were not decisive enough as we were in the first half.

"I could not blame the team for not having a killer instinct in the first half but in the last 25 minutes we had a lot of set pieces.

"In the end, it was a little bit a case of luck with Raphael Varane, the header by Cristiano, Harry Maguire, but in the end one point for a performance like this is just not enough."

Rangnick was particularly unhappy to see the Brownhill own goal ruled out, adding: "In particular, the second one that was disallowed, I watched it right now in the locker room. The linesman flagged for a foul but he flagged 10 seconds after that incident. This was a very soft decision, I must say.

"But again we played an excellent first half, I thought. We totally dominated the game, scored three goals but two were disallowed.

"Then in the second half, for the first 10 to 15 minutes, we were just not aggressive enough. It was clear they would come out after the break in a more aggressive way to play but we were not aggressive in those 15 minutes. We gave away the goal.

"We had a very good counter-attacking situation 30 seconds before we conceded the goal and the way that we allowed them to score, we did not defend the whole situation well."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...y-a-bad-result

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A number of Manchester United players want the club to step up their efforts to appoint Paris St-Germain manager Mauricio Pochettino as the Old Trafford club's next boss. (Express)

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United: Ralf Rangnick says it is 'obvious' club needs new striker this summer

Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick says it is 'obvious' the club needs to buy a striker in the summer.

United's recent failure to convert chances was a major factor in their Premier League draw at Burnley and FA Cup defeat by Middlesbrough.

Cristiano Ronaldo's future is also uncertain, while Edinson Cavani is out of contract this summer and Mason Greenwood currently unavailable.

United are long-time admirers of Norway frontman Erling Braut Haaland.

"This is obvious," said Rangnick of the situation. "Edinson's contract is running out in the summer and the club needs the best possible centre-forward. I think everyone is aware of that."

Prolific Borussia Dortmund striker Haaland knows Rangnick as the German helped broker the deal that saw the 21-year-old move to Red Bull Salzburg in 2019.

It has already been suggested if United bring Mauricio Pochettino back to England to replace Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the summer, the former Tottenham boss would like to be reunited with Harry Kane.

Inter Milan's Lautaro Martinez, Swedish frontman Alexander Isak - who has been heavily linked with Arsenal - are other potential options, while Rangnick is known to be an admirer of Czech Republic forward Patrik Schick too

Evidently, appointing Solskjaer's replacement is going to be the priority for United at the end of the season, while it is also known there will be a major focus on bringing in a defensive midfield player.

However, Rangnick feels the attack also needs to be addressed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60353591

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Manchester United had to settle for another 1-1 draw after being left frustrated by an impressive Southampton in the Premier League.

Ralf Rangnick's men are getting used to that scoreline, which has now cropped up in three successive games - leading to a penalty shootout defeat by Middlesbrough in the FA Cup and a league draw at Burnley.

United had taken a first-half lead against the Saints - as they did against Burnley and Boro - but once again conceded a second-half equaliser and could not find a winning goal.

The hosts went ahead after 21 minutes as Marcus Rashford escaped in behind the Saints defence and played the ball off for Jadon Sancho to convert an easy finish.

Paul Pogba tapped home on the stroke of half-time but the goal was disallowed as Cristiano Ronaldo had strayed offside - and the Portuguese forward later had a header chalked off.

United were unable to press home their superiority and were made to pay at the start of the second half as Che Adams stayed onside to slot a finish into the far corner via the foot of the post.

Ralph Hasenhuttl's men, humiliated 9-0 on their previous visit to Old Trafford last February, were on top for long periods thereafter and may have pulled off a victory.

On-loan Armando Broja saw a drive pushed away by David de Gea, who was kept busy, while Stuart Armstrong blazed wildly over from a promising position.

The draw meant United were unable to move into the top four, while Southampton - who have now lost just once in 10 matches in all competitions - stay in 10th place.

BBC

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ralf Rangnick: Manchester United need to be more nasty | Paul Merson: Things need to change quickly

Ralf Rangnick wants more aggression and "nastiness" from his players after Manchester United blew another half-time lead to draw with Southampton.

United's lack of tracking back without the ball was also questioned by Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl in his post-match press conference, while former Man Utd midfielder Paul Scholes suggested the players did not want to put in a shift for the club following the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford.

Hasenhuttl said: "It is not a big secret that when they lose the ball that the reverse gears are not always the best from everybody.

"The first half they have shown that they can play well against the ball, they had some good ball wins but the longer the game was going the more they are cheating then in the first line, and then you can play over this first line and you have space then, and you have the chance to create something, and this is what we did."

A year on from Ole Gunnar Solskjaer overseeing a 9-0 win against Saints at an empty Old Trafford, his interim successor saw the Red Devils squander Jadon Sancho's first-half goal on Saturday lunchtime.

Che Adams fired home an impressive equaliser shortly after half-time and Saints had chances to snatch a rare win at United, whose profligacy in front of goal led to a third successive match ending 1-1.

Rangnick rejected Scholes' comments, saying it is more about the group's mentality.

"I think what Paul Scholes said was only one third of what he said - I think he said three different options," said Rangnick.

"I don't think that the players are not willing to do that, because they don't like to give away points like the ones they gave away today again.

"It was the third game where we were 1-0 up and I don't think anyone out there should believe that the players don't care, that they like to experience things like that today consecutively. This is definitely not the case.

"The question is with the group of players we have, how do we get more compact, more aggressive and even more nasty, it's about defending a lead. This is the major issue but it's not a question of the players not wanting to do that."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...change-quickly

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Marcus Rashford has hit out at claims that he is among a group of Manchester United players "irritated” by Cristiano Ronaldo's attempts to lead the dressing room with his own clique.

Ronaldo, who had been on a six-game run without scoring, ended his goal drought in emphatic style with a stunning opener in Manchester United 2-0 midweek win over Brighton at Old Trafford, lifting them up to fourth in the Premier League table.

Leading German journalist Christian Falk posted on social media on Wednesday that there is "a risk of a split in the team" with Rashford, Harry Maguire taking exception to Ronaldo's behaviour.

Ralf Rangnick says it was important for his Manchester United side to get back to winning ways against Brighton after dropping points in recent games.

Ronaldo had been on his longest run without a goal in 13 years prior to his strike against Brighton.

The Portuguese picked up the ball and drove at the Brighton defence before unleashing a powerful shot to help United on the way to a much-needed three points.

"It was an amazing goal," was United interim manager Ralf Rangnick's response.

"Not only an important one but an amazing one. Overall it was also a good performance from Cristiano. Energetically he was always trying to help his team-mates.

"I think in the last weeks, definitely it was the best performance by him, and a very, very important goal for us."

SKY

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harry Maguire and Cristiano Ronaldo captaincy rift at Man Utd 'nonsense', says Ralf Rangnick

Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick says reports of a rift between captain Harry Maguire and Cristiano Ronaldo are "absolutely nonsense".

A story in the Mirror said the pair were "embroiled in a power struggle" over the club's captaincy.

Rangnick says he has been told what was written and is not frustrated by it "because I know it is not true".

"This is absolutely nonsense - I've never spoken with players about captaincy," said the German.

"It's never been an issue with me. Harry is our captain and will stay our captain."

Maguire was handed the captaincy by former boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer two years ago, but the report suggests his authority has been undermined by 37-year-old Ronaldo's return.

The England defender responded on social media to say the report was not true, and he and his team-mates are "united and focused" on Sunday's game at Leeds United.

"I'm not frustrated at all because I know it is not true," added Rangnick. "I don't listen to that noise because I focus on preparing the team.

"I have heard about what was written. Yes, there were players that were unhappy at the end of the [transfer] window. This has improved and the atmosphere in the locker room is better than it was a few weeks ago.

"It's about performing well and showing togetherness on the pitch. That's what we can influence."

Rangnick said he was only recently made aware of the rivalry between Manchester United and Leeds and is looking forward to playing at a full Elland Road.

"We had quite a few local derbies in Germany," he said. "Our side though has so much experience playing against sides in this environment.

"As far as I know it's the first game [for Manchester United] in a full stadium at Elland Road since they were last in the Premier League. We are looking forward to it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60435071

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Leeds United 2-4 Manchester United

Manchester United survived a stirring Leeds United comeback at an emotional Elland Road to put themselves back in the Premier League's top four with a crucial victory.

In the first game in front of fans between the two old rivals at Elland Road since October 2003, they produced a fitting spectacle played out in a deluge and a predictably thunderous atmosphere.

Manchester United were in complete control at the break after captain Harry Maguire headed in Luke Shaw's corner, and Bruno Fernandes did the same from Jadon Sancho's cross right on half-time.

Leeds, however, mounted a superb revival and were level with two goals inside a minute as Rodrigo's 53rd-minute cross drifted in behind keeper David de Gea, then substitute Raphinha sent Elland Road into raptures when he slid home a cross from Daniel James.

Manchester United gathered themselves, manager Ralf Rangnick made changes, and one of his substitutes produced the rewards as Fred drove in at Illan Meslier's near post following more good work by Sancho with 20 minutes left - although Anthony Elanga was struck by objects thrown from the crowd amid the celebrations.

Elanga recovered to confirm Manchester United's win with a composed finish two minutes from time from Fernandes' pass.

Manchester United's victory came in three phases - the control of the first half, the shock of Leeds United's quick one-two, then the recovery to finally close out the victory they deserved.

This was always going to be a test of mettle and for a spell after the break when Leeds scored those two quick goals and were winning all the 50-50s in this most raucous of environments, it looked like they would not come through the examination unscathed.

Manchester United's players looked shell-shocked at the turn of events that allowed Leeds, who looked deflated at half-time, to revive themselves and even threaten a victory that would have been the sweetest of all for the home fans, who made their dislike of the visitors clear before, during and after this game.

Manager Rangnick, however, deserves credit for the changes that restored Manchester United's equilibrium, Fred coming on to put them back in front and another substitute, Elanga, snuffing out any hope Leeds had of a point with the fourth.

Manchester United will feel they deserved the win over the whole piece, but they were still fragile at times and were rocking under Leeds attacks until Fred silenced the crowd, albeit temporarily.

There were unsavoury scenes when Elanga needed to be attended to after being hit by missiles thrown from the crowd after Fred's goal, but he was able to regain his composure to such an extent that he struck the final blow in the closing moments.

Manchester United enjoyed their second win in a week, moving back into the top four, but will know they need to keep winning with Arsenal four points behind in sixth with three games in hand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60364587

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United: Bruno Fernandes denies rumours of dressing room split

Bruno Fernandes has denied rumours of a split in the Manchester United dressing room and says the players are focused on "sticking together".

A story in the Mirror claimed a power struggle between Cristiano Ronaldo and Harry Maguire was causing unrest.

Fernandes, 27, dismissed those rumours and says their celebrations at Leeds on Sunday is proof of a united team.

"It is honestly people trying to complain and making stories about this club," said the Portugal midfielder.

Fernandes added: "I don't know what people mean. I saw the goal of H [Maguire] and saw Paul [Pogba] running behind, sliding on his knees, happy for him. I was slapping his head and saying finally he had scored with that big head.

"We know when someone talks about this club or players at this club, it goes around the world with their voice. That is something that they want.

"For us, it is nothing. If we stick to the plan and stick together, that is the main thing. Losing together and winning together."

Maguire was handed the captaincy by former boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer two years ago, but the report suggests his authority has been undermined by Ronaldo's return to Old Trafford.

Both Maguire and team-mate Marcus Rashford responded on social media to say the report was not true.

United interim boss Ralf Rangnick described rumours of a rift as "absolute nonsense" in the build-up to Sunday's game at Elland Road, adding afterwards the 4-2 win was the "perfect response" to the reports.

Man Utd fined over player conduct

Meanwhile the Red Devils have been fined £20,000 after admitting a Football Association charge of "failing to ensure that its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion" during their 2-0 win over Brighton on 15 February.

The fine relates to an incident in the 53rd minute, when United players surrounded referee Peter Bankes after Lewis Dunk's challenge on Anthony Elanga.

Bankes initially booked Dunk, but then sent off the Brighton captain after being told to consult the pitchside monitor by VAR Jarred Gillett.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60483232

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Anthony Elanga's late equaliser boosted Manchester United's hopes of reaching the quarter-finals of the Champions League as they fought back to draw against Atletico Madrid at the Wanda Metropolitano.

The 19-year-old had been on the pitch less than six minutes after replacing Marcus Rashford, when he raced onto Bruno Fernandes' perfectly-weighted pass to roll the ball past home goalkeeper Jan Oblak.

Until that point it had looked as though Diego Simeone's Spanish champions were going to take a narrow advantage to Old Trafford after delivering a masterclass in controlling the game without dominating possession.

Joao Felix's early header from Renan Lodi's inviting cross gave the hosts a dream start with United looking ragged on their right, where interim boss Ralf Rangnick's gamble of playing Victor Lindelof at full-back failed badly.

The Swedish central defender looked uncomfortable throughout and was booked for a tug on Felix before his miserable evening was ended prematurely by his withdrawal midway through the second half.

By then Atletico could and perhaps should have been two goals ahead with Sime Vrsaljko heading the ball off Lindelof and onto the United bar in the closing moments of the first half after some more dismal defending.

While Rangnick's side enjoyed plenty of the ball, they were slow and indecisive in possession and barely looked capable of carving open their well-drilled opponents who repeatedly picked off every sloppy United pass in midfield.

Atletico were also unlucky to not score late on themselves when Antoine Griezmann rattled the visitors crossbar.

However, Elanga, who missed the crucial penalty when Rangnick's side lost in the FA Cup to Middlesbrough earlier this month, followed up his goal at Leeds on Sunday with another important intervention to change the complexion of the tie before the second leg in Manchester in three weeks time.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester United interim boss Ralf Rangnick told Match of the Day:

“We did everything apart from score. It’s hard to take that result. In the end, if you miss that many chances it is difficult to win the game. We were in full control for almost the whole game, we didn’t allow them hardly any counter attacks.

“We need to be sharper in front of goal, you can hardly create more chances than we did today. In the end it is a very frustrating afternoon.

“Had anyone told me that we would create that many clear chances I would have said ‘yes, that is enough for us to score one of two goals at least’. But we didn’t.

On Ronaldo hitting the post: "That was not the only one [chance]. In the first half we had five massive chances then in the second half we had another three or four. Today we had enough chances to win that game.

"Sometimes we are unlucky, when we hit the post, but we also had a few opportunities one-on-one with the goalkeeper. This is not luck, it is a question of sharpness and efficiency in-front of goal."

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats to Man Utd for holding mighty Watford at home in a match where they only failed to score! Sir Alex will be proud off the laughing stock his club have become

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real Madrid's Italian manager Carlo Ancelotti, 62, has emerged as a surprise candidate to become the next Manchester United boss. (Times)

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think United will win against City. A win for United will certainly make the season interesting and bring back the Title race.

'If you cant support us when we lose or draw then dont support us when we win"
    Bill Shankly

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Big match coming up.

Can the red half of Manchester surprise the blue half?

No Ronaldo in the squad again.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Man Utd boss Ralf Rangnick, speaking to Sky Sports: "We had two covid cases midweek with Rafa Varane and Luke Shaw. Cristiano had some problems with his hip flexor again on Friday. That is why they are not available.

"We decided wit the formation to be as compact as possible and still in transitional moments be able to create chances.

"We have to be compact, always put them under pressure and keep them away from our box and at the same time, when we have possession, to be dangerous on the counter-attack."

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ahahahahaah

Maguire will be better than VVD said the deluded Utd fans.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maher96 View Post
    I think United will win against City. A win for United will certainly make the season interesting and bring back the Title race.
    Hilarious!!

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Was relatively even in the first half but since they came out after the break United have been absolutely dumped on. City in utterly imperious form and could have 5 or 6 by now.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I know City are good, but how ordinary are Man Utd.

I can't remember a Utd team looking so flat and poor at the back.

As Gary Neville said "they've given up, nowhere near good enough"

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    92% possession for City in the latter part of the second half. Lol

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    More from Gary Neville on commentary "United were a disgrace in the last 25 minutes"

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    More from Gary Neville on commentary "United were a disgrace in the last 25 minutes"
    Gary Neville and Roy Keane: Man Utd response at Man City was embarrassing - they threw the towel in

Gary Neville labelled Manchester United "embarrassing" and says they "threw the towel in" during Sunday's 4-1 defeat by rivals Manchester City, while Roy Keane insists "five or six players" should never play for the club again.

Doubles from Kevin De Bruyne and Riyad Mahrez restored City's six-point lead at the top of the Premier League as the champions delivered a commanding performance at the Etihad Stadium.

Jadon Sancho had equalised in the first half for United, but City soon showed their dominance and after De Bruyne's second goal restored the hosts' lead, the result was never in doubt.

"Manchester United's response to going 3-1 down has been embarrassing. Ninety-two per cent possession for City? They have given up," Sky Sports pundit Neville said. "They are walking around the pitch. It's nowhere near good enough.

"There can be no complaints. City have been absolutely outstanding. But as a Manchester United fan, it's embarrassing.

"City played brilliantly in the second half. But the effort and intensity from United in the last 20 minutes was non-existent.

"The scoreline isn't the problem. It's the response to going 3-1 down that's the problem. They have thrown the towel in.

"At the end of the game, Manchester United finished like an absolute shower. They were a disgrace in the last 25 minutes."
    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...w-the-towel-in

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Roy Keane has declared there are up to six Manchester United players who should never represent the club again after their failures in the humbling loss at Manchester City.

The Red Devils were thoroughly outclassed in Sunday afternoon's derby as doubles from Kevin De Bruyne and Riyad Mahrez fired City to a 4-1 victory.

The only positive for United was Jadon Sancho's fine strike in the first half, which briefly drew them level before De Bruyne restored the hosts' lead.

City's dominance only grew as the game progressed to lay bare the huge gulf in quality between the two local rivals.

Keane highlighted a number of United's underperformers in his post-match tirade, hitting out at the likes of Aaron Wan-Bissaka, Fred, Harry Maguire and Marcus Rashford for a perceived lack of effort and "pride".

Did Manchester United's players give up against Manchester City? Have your say in the comments...

It was a derby to forget for Manchester United© Getty Images It was a derby to forget for Manchester United
    "You should play with a bit of pride, it has to kick in at some stage," the former Red Devils captain told Sky Sports. "I forgive mistakes but you have to run back.

"I could write down five or six players who I think should never play for Man United again. Just shameful, shameful.

"Subs coming on and you hope they're going to have an impact but they’re not prepared to run around. A couple of lads in midfield, Wan-Bissaka, Fred, Maguire, Rashford came on, I could go on.

"The old saying of men versus boys. They gave up and shame on them."

Keane also accused United of "giving up" in "unforgivable" fashion as they surrendered 70 per cent of possession to City and were outshot by 24 efforts to five.

"They did give up. For a player in a derby or any game, it's unforgivable really," the Irishman added. "The beauty of top level sport is that there's no hiding place. We saw all United’s shortcomings today.

"There's ways to lose football matches, but the way United lost it today, they stopped running, gave up. Players not running back, that's what I don't understand.

"The manager will be criticised for the tactics but players not running back when playing for Man United, it's really unacceptable, it really is. They threw the towel in, it's shameful.

"It's hard when you're out there against a really good team. But you've got to run back, got to tackle. It's a reflection of where the team is and where the club is. It's so far behind the other teams."

A wounded United squad has five full days to prepare for its next encounter, with Tottenham visiting Old Trafford on Saturday evening.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/foot...?ocid=msedgntp

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Next Man Utd manager: Graham Potter and Ralph Hasenhuttel on long list as ‘desperate’ Rangnick’s successor

Manchester United know they need to get their next managerial appointment right as Ralf Rangnick’s struggles illustrate

Such is the sheer amount of work required to return Manchester United to the summit of English football it is no wonder football director John Murtough has accelerated the process of hiring a new manager in the last couple of weeks.

A heavy derby defeat at the hands of a Manchester City was no surprise. But it is another warning that United – described to the i by one Ralf Rangnick acolyte as a “shambolic” in places – are falling far behind city rivals who are a cohesive organisation supplemented by a head coach who specialises in cohesive organisation of a crop of truly outstanding players.

The next big decision – the manager to succeed Rangnick – is a critical one.

“If they think they can solve all of the problems just by getting a head coach who will magically fix it they are wrong,” a source close to Rangnick contends.

And that is a good point given the problems any new man will inherit at Old Trafford, which include a transfer policy that has welded together the demands of three very different head coaches, a dressing room riven by factions and without leadership and a fanbase that has no confidence in the people leading the club.

But it has to start somewhere, and United’s intention is to appoint a manager who can lead from the front – having an influence over everything from recruitment to re-shaping a football identity which has been lost in the transition from Ole Solskjaer to struggling interim Rangnick.

The intention is for it to be a long-term appointment, i understands, and to make a relatively quick decision.

Perhaps the German would have been a candidate himself if he could have delivered the high-press football he promised with a group ill-suited to carry it out. But that ship has now sailed with Mauricio Pochettino and reported front-runner Erik ten Hag, the impressive custodian of Ajax, chief among the thoughts of an embattled Manchester United hierarchy.

They are the men most mentioned in managerial dispatches but they are merely part of a long list of options compiled by the club.

Indeed i understands part of that due diligence has been to consider outstanding domestic options, including Southampton’s Ralph Hasenhuttl – who has a high-profile supporter in Rangnick – and Brighton’s Graham Potter, considered an outstanding and innovative coach.

Brendan Rodgers was also included in early conversations although Leicester’s struggles this season appear likely to have ruled him out of contention.

In the meantime, Rangnick’s job is to work with a group that has far too many players who don’t want to be there. Marcus Rashford is the latest to reportedly consider his future, having grown frustrated at a lack of first-team minutes, but it says much about Rangnick’s position that he is unlikely to be the one making the decision on whether he is sold or not.

It was the same position with Jesse Lingard, who still wants to leave United for Newcastle’s new project. Rangnick sanctioned that move in January only for those above him to block it on deadline day.

The Cristiano Ronaldo issue continues to fester, with Rangnick forced to clarify whether he was injured or dropped for Sunday’s Manchester derby. What was once billed as a triumphant reunion has quickly turned sour.

Rangnick has not helped himself with some moves, such as shifting training schedules and time off which spoke of his lack of understanding of a typical Premier League dressing room.

And while it is true some players in the dressing room are understood to doubt Rangnick’s credentials, there is also a degree of sympathy that he has been left to battle for half a season with a situation that is not of his making.

Speaking on Sky Sports, Micah Richards said Rangnick’s “credibility” had been eroded by his struggles at Old Trafford – which is a fear shared by some of those close to Rangnick and with knowledge of how his team are viewing the challenge at Manchester United.

“He’s desperate,” a source close to Rangnick told i of the mood around the German.

“Of course he’s determined to keep going and make a success of it but it was a bad decision to go there. It’s Manchester United so of course you are going to listen to the offer but the next manager should go in with their eyes wide open about the situation Ralf has there.

“The club hasn’t really supported him – in January he needed one or two players and to be given the power to do some deals he wanted to do.

“Instead they have kept some players who are unhappy and it is difficult to manage, especially when you are only an interim.

“He probably has, in that squad, 15 players who are suited to the style of play that he wants to impose on the club. But that’s not enough so it does not look like a good fit and it has probably damaged his reputation.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/n...n-city-1502811

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teddy Sheringham on Man Utd's problems: Why lack of leadership from the top is undermining the club

Former Manchester United forward Teddy Sheringham believes a lack of leadership at the club has led to the problems that Manchester City exposed on Sunday.

United were beaten 4-1 at the Etihad Stadium leading to accusations that the players gave up during a limp second-half performance.

Sheringham won three Premier League titles for the club under Sir Alex Ferguson, scoring the equaliser in their famous Champions League win over Bayern Munich in 1999.

"I have seen both sides of the story," Sheringham told Monday Night Football.

"I have played in a very dominant Manchester United side where it is demanded that you are 100 per cent committed to the cause and everyone is rowing in the same boat together led by a top manager.

"But I have also been in it where there are fragments in a team, in a club.

"When you play against a team like Manchester City they find every little hole in your set-up. They work you and they work you again.

"Everyone is trying hard to stop that but then they come back out and they go for another area, they keep prodding at you. It grinds you down when these teams keep dominating you.

"When you are playing in a team that is focused and all rowing in the same way it is all great. But when you are playing for a manager and you're thinking, 'He won't be here next season. I don't have to try that hard, he'll be gone, I'll work for the next manager.'

"There are vibes like that and you can see them all over the pitch.

"Players are being left out. Is he injured? Is he not? There are just problems at the club. I think that comes from the leadership at the football club."
    Ralf Rangnick was appointed as Manchester United's interim manager in November following the departure of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

But the authority of the German has been questioned and Sheringham sees a marked contrast with the position that Pep Guardiola enjoys at Manchester City.

"Look at Manchester City. They are being led by a top man who is devoted to Manchester City being better, the best that they can be.

"When you look at Manchester United. They had an interim manager. They sacked him. They get another interim manager in. What is going on at this top football club? What is going on?

"And that filters down. If you are getting someone in for the long stay and a desire to make them better, everyone will follow it.

"When it is not, it is hard for everyone to follow in that same way because it is going to change at the end of the season and you are going to have to start again with another manager with new ideas again."

In terms of the running stats, City comfortably outperformed their rivals, running 116.03km to United's 112.71km and outsprinting them 162-125.

In the second half, as City ramped up their intensity from 76 sprints to 86, United dropped from 66 to 59.

"It is a difficult game that shows we have a long way to go to close that gap," United interim boss Rangnick said.

But while the gap in quality is one thing, the difference in athletic output is another.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ining-the-club

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Atletico Madrid squeezed past Manchester United to book their place in the Champions League quarter-finals.

Renan Lodi headed in the only goal of the second leg at Old Trafford to earn a 2-1 win on aggregate for the reigning La Liga champions.

Ralf Rangnick's side put in a lively first-half display but failed to break down a resolute Atletico defence.

The visitors then punished United before the break as Lodi finished off a cross from Antoine Griezmann.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The humiliation that Man Utd fans are suffering should be photographed!

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United suffer worst trophy drought in 40 years after Champions League exit

Manchester United are suffering their worst trophy drought in 40 years after being knocked out of the Champions League by Atletico Madrid.

Defeat in Europe means the earliest United can achieve silverware is by winning next season's League Cup final, which is due to take place on February 26, 2023.

With 2017 the last time United won a major trophy, they are now on their longest drought in four decades. After victory in the 1977 FA Cup, they had to wait until 1983 for their next triumph when they won the competition again.

United's win rate of 45 per cent in all competitions this season is their lowest since 1989-90.

Since former manager Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013, United have lifted just three pieces of silverware. The FA Cup under Louis van Gaal in 2016, and the League Cup and Europa League under Jose Mourinho the following year.

After the high-profile arrivals of Cristiano Ronaldo, Raphael Varane and Jadon Sancho last summer, United were expected to mount a serious challenge for trophies this season, but they quickly fell behind rivals Manchester City and Liverpool in the Premier League and now face an uphill struggle to finish in the top four.

In a campaign that has seen former player Ole Gunnar Solskjaer lose his job as manager and Ralf Rangnick become interim boss, United crashed out of both domestic cup competitions with home losses to West Ham in September and Middlesbrough last month.

Their remaining hope was the Champions League, but defeat by Atletico Madrid in the last 16 sees their trophy drought extend into a sixth consecutive season.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ns-league-exit

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I’ve been watching football for the best part of 30 years and this is by far the worst United team that I have seen. What on earth is going on at the club? They’re absolutely hopeless.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I’ve been watching football for the best part of 30 years and this is by far the worst United team that I have seen. What on earth is going on at the club? They’re absolutely hopeless.
    Other then Rashford they haven't produced anyone of note from their youth set up.
    This is a huge failing..

Only way to get out of this is to make wholesale changes.
    They literally need 9 new world class players.
    No manager is going to make this side into a title winning team.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ralf Rangnick's Man Utd consultancy role not clear as Maurico Pochettino and Erik ten Hag lead shortlist
    Mauricio Pochettino, Erik ten Hag, Julen Lopetegui and Luis Enrique are the options being discussed by Manchester United;

Man Utd are currently in a battle to finish in the top four and qualify for the Champions League

No meetings have taken place as yet with the interim manager regarding the design of his future position, which comes into effect on June 1.

United's hierarchy took the decision to put strategic planning on hold to allow Rangnick full focus on trying to salvage the season through coaching.

As such, even the basics of the agreement, like where the German would be based, have not materialised.

Richard Arnold, United's chief executive officer who has been described as a contrast to Ed Woodward as he is more collaborative and grants greater responsibility to staff, was "incredibly open" to the idea of recruiting Rangnick in a dual-purpose capacity.

It is understood Arnold is invested in widening the brains trust at the club and is keen to have Rangnick's "knowledge on tap" until 2024.

But his core expertise - structurally overhauling a club and implementing sustainable, successful methodology - has so far gone unused.

That is on account of the state of play when he was appointed - the team had lost five out of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's last seven fixtures - as well as a lack of time due to a stacked schedule.

Rangnick 'highly unlikely' to become sporting director

United's Champions League exit allows more time for some forward planning, but the notion Rangnick could operate as a loose version of a sporting director, helping John Murtough and Darren Fletcher knit a solid strategy behind the scenes, has been labelled "hugely unlikely."

Sources have intimated his role in all probability will be centered around sharing insights on innovation, scouting and linking the club with bright football minds rather than fundamentally altering their set-up.

It was highlighted that "consultancy," in its essence, suggests separation and independence.

United are set to lean on Rangnick's in-depth knowledge of the squad and what is required to build a strong collective for a progressive on-pitch identity.

The 63-year-old's temporary tenure has been coloured by some unsavoury leaks despite him significantly improving the team's underlying metrics.

United have a "pretty good idea where the briefings are coming from" and are keen to erase a self-serving culture.

There is an appreciation that Rangnick has not offered any counter-leaks, opting for honesty during his media commitments instead.

The analysis the interim manager provides on the squad will stretch well beyond the tactical and technical to drill down into how United can improve recruitment not only in a stylistic sense, but character-wise too.

However, reports he is heavily involved in the decision-making process over the club's permanent manager are incorrect.

Rangnick has done what has been asked of him, which is to concentrate on coaching.

The latest on the managerial search: Tuchel not considered
    United have distanced themselves from coverage suggesting they are circling around Thomas Tuchel amid Chelsea's uncertain future, with one source describing it as "media talk not reality."

They maintain there is a four-man shortlist being considered to take charge of the club, which does not feature the reigning European Cup-winning manager.

Tuchel dismisses links to Manchester United

United are aware that the opening move for a new ownership group at Stamford Bridge will be to secure Tuchel's future.

Thomas Tuchel has dismissed links with him becoming the next Manchester United boss
    The 48-year-old has also displayed the absolute opposite of a desire to exit Chelsea, navigating difficult circumstances with aplomb and underlining his happiness despite the upheaval.

Mauricio Pochettino, Erik ten Hag, Julen Lopetegui and Luis Enrique are the options being vetted by United, with the Spain boss proving the most complex situation to navigate given the World Cup in December.

The club want a manager in situ ahead of the new season, but suggestions that a pre-agreement could be struck by the end of this month are, as one employee put it, "overly optimistic."

While there is some bafflement from United over why Lopetegui and Enrique have been faded out of talk surrounding the job, multiple sources have admitted they would be surprised if Pochettino or Ten Hag were not at the helm.

David Ornstein says that he sees it as a two-way battle between Mauricio Pochettino and Erik ten Hag for who becomes the next Manchester United manager.
    There is a split over the pair. The Argentine would not require an adjustment to the league, to a club of such scale, or even having to pit his wits against Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp.

Pochettino is seen as the concrete choice to rival Manchester City, Liverpool and Tuchel's Chelsea given he stacked up well to the former two while on severely restricted resources at Tottenham.

His work at Spurs, Southampton and Espanyol have been given more attention than the spell at Paris Saint-Germain, where the problem has not been the manager as the successes of Carlo Ancelotti, Unai Emery and Tuchel after departing, have proven.

United are aware Ten Hag is the popular choice, and the Marc Overmars scandal has made it easier to prise him from Ajax.

However, there remains question marks over how he would function in a completely different structure, and at a club of the size, stature and unrelenting pressure and attention as United.

One source revealed that "in an ideal world, Julian Nagelsmann would walk into the club this summer," but there is a realisation that he would not swap Bayern Munich until he could move to a stable Premier League option, primed to lift silverware.

There is a sense he is more minded to plump for the City or Liverpool job when Guardiola and Klopp leave.

United's new permanent manager will be derived from the four-man shortlist unless "there is a massive change in circumstance and a top manager that fits the long-term direction suddenly becomes available."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...lead-shortlist

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United are considering Sevilla's Spanish boss Julen Lopetegui, 55, as they continue to search for a permanent successor to Ralf Rangnick. (Marca)

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Erik ten Hag: Manchester United hold talks with Ajax head coach over taking charge at Old Trafford

Manchester United held "positive" talks with Erik ten Hag on Monday - with the club hierarchy thought to be impressed by his vision and philosophy.

The interview was part of the ongoing process to appoint the next permanent first-team boss.

That process is said to have now reached a more advanced stage, but does not mean Ten Hag has emerged as the club's first choice.

As part of the process, United also plan to speak to their other preferred candidates.

According to United sources, there is no early favourite yet and they are open-minded about the identity of their new manager.

Sky Sports News reported earlier this week the other candidates are Mauricio Pochettino, Julen Lopetegui and Luis Enrique.

Ten Hag has a contract at Ajax that runs until the summer of 2023, but United's good relationship with the Dutch club - former goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar is chief executive - allowed them to speak to him.

The club want to make a decision on their next permanent manager as soon as possible. However, they have not put a formal deadline on the process, which is being led by Darren Fletcher and John Murtough.

Ajax have declined to comment, while Ten Hag's representatives have been contacted for comment.

United had previously distanced themselves from coverage suggesting they are circling around Thomas Tuchel amid Chelsea's uncertain future with one source describing it as "media talk not reality".

They maintained there is a four-man shortlist being considered to take charge of the club, which does not feature the reigning European Cup-winning manager.

United are aware the opening move for a new ownership group at Stamford Bridge will be to secure Tuchel's future.

The 48-year-old has also displayed the absolute opposite of a desire to exit Chelsea, navigating difficult circumstances with aplomb and underlining his happiness despite the upheaval.

United want a manager in place ahead of the new season.

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...t-old-trafford

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruno Fernandes: Man Utd midfielder close to agreeing new deal

Bruno Fernandes is close to agreeing a new five-year contract at Manchester United.

The Portugal playmaker, 27, still has three years left on his current deal.

However, such has been the midfielder's impact since his £47m arrival from Sporting Lisbon in 2020 that United are keen to extend his stay.

Talks stalled around the new year but they have now restarted and BBC Sport understands there is a positive feeling at the club about the outcome.

There is unlikely to be an announcement during the current international break as Portugal try to qualify for the World Cup.

Providing the deal is concluded as expected, it will be a major boost for the Premier League side, who will go five seasons without a trophy, are not guaranteed a place in next season's Champions League and are yet to decide on a new manager.

Although Fernandes' form has dipped since he won four Premier League player of the month awards in 2020 and was named in last season's Team of the Year, he is viewed as an integral part of United's future at a point where there is uncertainty over so many senior players at the club.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60869404

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Manchester United: Erik ten Hag needs 'football club, not commercial club' - Louis van Gaal

Former Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal has suggested Erik ten Hag should rule out a move to the Red Devils because they are "a commercial club".

United have spoken to Ajax coach Ten Hag about their vacant manager's job.

Interim boss Ralf Rangnick, who replaced Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, will be in charge until the summer.

"I'm not going to advise [Erik], he'll call me himself. But he must choose a football club and not a commercial club," said Netherlands boss Van Gaal.

Ten Hag, 52, has a contract with the reigning Dutch champions until 2023.

However, that is unlikely to prove an obstacle should United decide the Dutchman - who led Ajax to league titles in 2019 and 2021, plus the 2019 Champions League semi-finals - is the right man to replace Rangnick.

Paris St-Germain boss Mauricio Pochettino is also on a shortlist, with Sevilla coach Julen Lopetegui and Spain coach Luis Enrique also in the frame.

But Van Gaal, who won the FA Cup during his spell in charge at Old Trafford between 2014 and 2016, suggested Ten Hag should consider his options carefully.

"Erik ten Hag is a great coach and that is always good for Manchester United," added Van Gaal, who was speaking before the Netherlands' friendly against Germany.

"But Manchester United are a commercial club, so it's a difficult choice for a coach. He'd better go to a football club."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60905113

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester United have been informally gathering information around Erik ten Hag, such as what compensation figure Ajax would be expecting, following his interview for their permanent managerial vacancy.

United held official talks with the 52-year-old last week which were billed as "very positive", and Sky Sports News understands that a process of due diligence has followed over what it would entail should they choose to hire him.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United are keen on Benfica's £60m-rated striker Darwin Nunez, but their hopes of landing the 22-year-old Uruguay international hinge on qualifying for the Champions League next season. (Telegraph)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester United midfielder Bruno Fernandes has signed a one-year contract extension with the club.

The 27-year-old, who joined in January 2020 for an initial £47m, is now under contract until 2026 and this new deal includes an option for a further one-year extension.

Fernandes has scored 49 goals in 117 matches in all competitions for United.

"There's so much more I want to achieve here, and that's the same for the rest of the squad and staff," he said.

"More than anything, we want to give the fans the success that they deserve," added Fernandes, who has also contributed 39 assists.

"We have shared some great moments, but the best is yet to come from myself and this team."

Manchester United football director John Murtough said Fernandes was the "ultimate professional" and praised the Portugal international for performing "remarkably consistently" since his arrival.

"Bruno, like everyone across the football club, remains hugely ambitious and determined to deliver sustained success on the pitch to get us back to challenging for titles," Murtough added.

Fernandes was deemed a key signing upon arriving and won the club's Matt Busby Player of the Year award despite only joining midway through the season and also took it last season.

No player has created more goals for the club since he joined and he was the club's top scorer with 28 goals in all competitions last season.

However, his form this season has drawn some scrutiny and United have slipped to sixth in the Premier League table in a turbulent campaign that has seen manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sacked and Ralf Rangnick take charge as interim head coach.

BBC

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Man Utd 1-1 Leicester

Manchester United lost more ground in the battle for a Champions League spot as they were held by Leicester at Old Trafford.

The damage could have been even worse for Ralf Rangnick's men as Leicester were denied a potential winner 10 minutes from time when referee Andre Marriner was sent to the screen by the video assistant referee, with Marriner overturning James Maddison's effort for a foul on Raphael Varane in the build-up.

United could count themselves fortunate to get a point.

After a drab opening period, Kelechi Iheanacho scored a superb 63rd-minute opener when he met superb Maddison's left-wing cross with a fine diving header, which sent the ball back into the far corner.

The Foxes' advantage lasted just three minutes, with Brazilian midfielder Fred on hand to convert the rebound after Bruno Fernandes' shot had been pushed into his path by Kasper Schmeichel.

It was a disappointing outcome for the hosts, who are now three points behind fourth-placed Arsenal, having played two games more and with a trip to the Gunners, plus encounters with Liverpool and Chelsea, still to come.

It says everything about the kind of season Marcus Rashford has had that even with the ill Cristiano Ronaldo, Edinson Cavani and Mason Greenwood missing this game completely, the England man was only given a seat on the bench.

Rashford's future has been debated long and hard over the last few weeks.

With a contract that is due to expire next year, although there is an option to extend to 2024, a decision over Rashford will be one of the new manager's first tasks when he takes over.

The theory is a proper break, followed by an intense pre-season and a chance to play regularly in his best position, on the left, would correct many of Rashford's problems.

At the moment though, he just needs to deliver. And, asked to occupy the number nine position when he was introduced for the final 35 minutes, Rashford continued to look ill at ease.

Rangnick provided detailed instructions as Rashford waited to come on and then, together with technical director Darren Fletcher, offered more as the game entered its final 20 minutes.

Fleetingly, it looked like Rashford's world would turn. Deep into stoppage time, he picked the ball up just outside the box and drove at the Leicester defence. But just as space opened up to shoot, an offside Anthony Elanga got in his way and the chance was gone.

Given Leicester's only hope of salvaging something tangible out of this injury-ravaged campaign comes through the Europa Conference League, starting with Thursday's quarter-final first leg with PSV Eindhoven, they could be forgiven their listless start.

Brendan Rodgers was buoyed by the return of Jonny Evans and Wesley Fofana, who started together in defence for the first time since last May's FA Cup final.

Given the paucity of what the home side presented them with, Leicester grew in confidence and Iheanacho should really have put them in front before the break when he screwed a shot from the edge of the area wide after the Nigerian had been left totally unmarked.

Victory would have been the first time Leicester had won successive away games at Old Trafford and the disappointment from Rodgers' perspective would be that his team did not hold on to their lead long enough.

Yet, even after United's equaliser, they carried the greater threat. Iheanacho chipped over from an acute angle after Jadon Sancho's stray backpass had sent him through before Fofana brought a superb save out of David de Gea with a header that was bound for the top corner.

Rodgers thought Maddison had won it and questioned fourth official Martin Atkinson when the goal was ruled out. He was still unconvinced even after the decision had been explained.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60883951

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester United are prepared to break their transfer record to sign West Ham and England midfielder Declan Rice, 23. (90 Min)

Manchester United are working on a deal to sign Leeds United and England midfielder Kalvin Phillips, 26. (Manchester Evening News)

The Old Trafford club have told six players they can leave this summer. (Mirror)

Manchester United sent scouts to watch Villarreal winger Arnaut Danjuma against Bayern Munich on Wednesday, with the 25-year-old Dutch international also a target for Liverpool. (Mail)

Arsenal, Manchester United and Tottenham have been told it will cost them £67m if they want to sign Uruguay striker Darwin Nunez, 22, from Portuguese club Benfica. (Express)