Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manchester City | 2021/22 Season

Man City Premier League fixtures - 2021/22

Exact dates and kick-off times are subject to change depending on TV schedules

14 August 2021 - 15:00 - Tottenham Hotspur vs Manchester City

21 August 2021 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Norwich City

28 August 2021 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Arsenal

11 September 2021 - 15:00 - Leicester City vs Manchester City

18 September 2021 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Southampton

25 September 2021 - 15:00 - Chelsea vs Manchester City

2 October 2021 - 15:00 - Liverpool vs Manchester City

16 October 2021 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Burnley

23 October 2021 - 15:00 - Brighton vs Manchester City

30 October 2021 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Crystal Palace

6 November 2021 - 15:00 - Manchester United vs Manchester City

20 November 2021 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Everton

27 November 2021 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs West Ham United

30 November 2021 - 19:45 - Aston Villa vs Manchester City

4 December 2021 - 15:00 - Watford vs Manchester City

11 December 2021 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Wolverhampton

15 December 2021 - 20:00 - Manchester City vs Leeds United

18 December 2021 - 15:00 - Newcastle United vs Manchester City

26 December 2021 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Leicester City

28 December 2021 - 15:00 - Brentford vs Manchester City

1 January 2022 - 15:00 - Arsenal vs Manchester City

15 January 2022 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Chelsea

22 January 2022 - 15:00 - Southampton vs Manchester City

9 February 2022 - 20:00 - Manchester City vs Brentford

12 February 2022 - 15:00 - Norwich City vs Manchester City

19 February 2022 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur

26 February 2022 - 15:00 - Everton vs Manchester City

5 March 2022 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Manchester United

12 March 2022 - 15:00 - Crystal Palace vs Manchester City

19 March 2022 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Brighton

2 April 2022 - 15:00 - Burnley vs Manchester City

9 April 2022 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Liverpool

16 April 2022 - 15:00 - Wolverhampton vs Manchester City

23 April 2022 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Watford

30 April 2022 - 15:00 - Leeds United vs Manchester City

7 May 2022 - 15:00 - Manchester City vs Newcastle United

15 May 2022 - 15:00 - West Ham United vs Manchester City

22 May 2022 - 16:00 - Manchester City vs Aston Villa

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester City are reportedly ready to smash the all-time Premier League transfer record in order to land Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester City's Kevin de Brunye breaks silence on Antonio Rudiger Champions League final clash

Manchester City star Kevin de Bruyne reveals he has no hard feelings towards Antonio Rudiger following Champions League final clash

Former Chelsea player Kevin de Bruyne has spoken for the first time about his clash with Antonio Rudiger in the Champions League final.

The Belgian star was left with a fractured nose and eye socket following a collision with the Blues centre-back but the 29-year-old has revealed he has no ill feelings towards the German defender.

De Bruyne needed surgery after the incident and missed Belgium's first Euro 2020 match as a result. He has since returned to fitness and laid on a glorious assist for Thorgan Hazard's strike against Denmark before firing in the winner himself.

The attacking-midfielder spoke about the clash with Rudiger and said: "I was not upset with Rudiger, it was one of those things that happens on the field.

"He tried to block me, not to break my nose, and so it was unlucky for me."

Rudiger has previously apologised to de Bruyne for the clash and revealed he had been in touch with the Belgian after the Champions League final to offer his best wishes.

"I'm really sorry for De Bruyne's injury", the defender posted on Twitter.
    "Of course this was not intentional from me - I've already been in touch with Kevin personally and I really wish him a speedy recovery and hope we can see him back on the pitch very soon again."

Fortunately for de Bruyne despite the need for surgery he has made a quick recovery and is sure to have a key role in Belgium's Euro 2020 campaign.

https://www.football.london/chelsea-...njury-20859556

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raheem Sterling has admitted he was "not happy" with his lack of playing time at Manchester City last season.
    The England forward has been linked with a move away from the Premier League champions after finding himself on the bench on a number of occasions towards the back end of the 2020-21 campaign, including Champions League quarter-final and semi-final ties.

But the 26-year-old has been a key figure for England in their opening two games of the European Championship, scoring the winning goal against Croatia last week.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BREAKING: Manchester City captain Fernandinho has signed a new one-year contract with the Premier League champions

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Premier League champions Manchester City have entered the race to sign Italy and Juventus winger Federico Chiesa

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester City have made an English record £100m bid for Aston Villa captain Jack Grealish.

City manager Pep Guardiola has made the 25-year-old English midfielder one of his major targets.

It is understood there has been communication between the two Premier League clubs throughout the summer.

City have made their move before Grealish returns to Villa for the start of pre-season training at Bodymoor Heath next week.

Guardiola feels Grealish can add an extra dimension to City's attack and propel them to the Champions League title for the first time, which they missed out on last season when they were beaten in the final by Chelsea.

The fee, which would eclipse the £89m Manchester United paid for Paul Pogba in 2016 as the highest ever paid by an English club, underlines how keen Guardiola is to have Grealish in his squad.

BBC

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester City's £100m bid for Jack Grealish is expected to be accepted by Aston Villa.

While Villa are yet to formally respond to City's offer - which was made on Friday - it is understood they are now willing to allow their captain to leave.

It means Grealish now has to decide whether he wants to move to the Etihad Stadium in what would be the biggest transfer in English football history.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone finishing above City will win the league. It's hard to see anyone doing that at the moment with or without Grealish. Surely if they sign Grealish then there will be some major departures too. Don't see them signing Kane if they do the Villa midfielder. The Villa man should seriously consider if he'll be in the first eleven at City before he agrees to join them.
    Last edited by PakLFC; 1st August 2021 at 05:18.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is Pep doing Pep things. He's not all that is Jack, as proven when the going got tough.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Brilliant signing this but I still feel they need a striker.

Kane, Haaland, Messi, Lukakau?

Manchester City have signed Jack Grealish from Aston Villa for £100m in the biggest deal in English football history.

The 25-year-old midfielder joins on a six-year deal after the Premier League champions activated the £100m release clause in his Villa contract on Friday.

The transfer fee also breaks the previous record in English football held by Paul Pogba when he re-joined Manchester United for £93.25m from Juventus in 2016.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give them the title right now if they sign Messi. The Argentinian is set to leave Barcelona very soon after today's announcement.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola confirms Harry Kane interest, but says Lionel Messi 'not in thoughts'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has confirmed the club's interest in Tottenham striker Harry Kane but says Lionel Messi is "not in our thoughts".

City want to add Kane, 28, to England team-mate Jack Grealish, who joined on Thursday in a £100m British record move from Aston Villa.

But they are thought to not be willing to meet Spurs' £160m valuation.

"We are interested in him but if Spurs don't want to negotiate then there is nothing more to say," said Guardiola.

"If they want to, we will try, that is all.

"He's a player for Tottenham and if they don't want to negotiate then it's finished. If they are open to negotiation, Manchester City and all the clubs in the world want to try to sign him.

"But it depends on Tottenham. Jack had a release clause so that was different."

England captain Kane - who has scored 221 goals for Spurs and won the Premier League Golden Boot three times - did not turn up for training this week as he tries to engineer a move away.

City have been frequently linked to Messi, who Guardiola worked with at Barcelona and has previously called the greatest player of all time.

Barcelona announced on Thursday that the 34-year-old, their all-time top scorer, is leaving the club because they cannot afford to keep him under La Liga financial fair play rules.

Hours later City confirmed the £100m signing of Aston Villa midfielder Grealish, 25, who will wear the number 10 jersey - the number Messi wears at Barca.

"It was a surprise for everyone, including me," said Guardiola.

"When you have 487m euros losses in one year, the decision is made, unfortunately. As a supporter I'd love for him to have finished there but it's not sustainable.

"I have incredible gratitude for the most extraordinary player I ever saw in my life, for the titles, for what he did for me, to help me to go to Munich and England.

"Thank you so much for bringing Barca to another level, for dominating the world for a decade with his mates, and I wish him the best for the last years of his career.

"We spent on Jack Grealish and he will wear number 10 because we are convinced about him and thought Leo would stay. Now Leo is not in our thoughts."

Guardiola also announced that Bernardo Silva is one of several players who want to leave City this summer.

The 26-year-old Portugal midfielder has scored 35 times in 201 appearances for City since a 2017 move from Monaco.

"He's our player, not just Bernardo, there are two or three, four players who want to leave," Guardiola said.

"They are our players and under contract and when they bring an offer we are open to discuss it. But it depends on them. Otherwise they stay here."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58114039

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester City defender John Stones has signed a new five-year deal with the Premier League club.

His contract at the Etihad was due to expire next year, but he will now remain with the club until 2026.

The 27-year-old re-established himself in City's title-winning last season, and was part of the England side that made it to the final of Euro 2020.

It had looked as if Stones was set to leave the club after falling behind Aymeric Laporte and Ruben Dias.

Stones has made 168 appearances and won every domestic trophy since joining the club for £47.5m from Everton in August 2016.

The defender said he could not be happier and working with manager Pep Guardiola was a "dream".

"I love being part of this squad," said Stones.

"There are so many quality players here and I know we can continue winning trophies, which is my main focus."

City's director of football Txiki Begiristain said Stones had "really matured" since joining the club.

"John is an exceptional footballer and a fantastic defender, whose attributes are well suited to our style of play," he said.

"We knew when we signed him that we were getting a talented centre-back, but he has really matured in his five years here and, as we saw last season, is at the top of his game right now."

Stones went on to form a strong partnership with Dias in the heart of City's defence last season, and he was also named in the 2021 PFA Team of the Year.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phil Foden has confirmed to Sky Sports News he will be out for a further three to four weeks after opening up about the disappointment of missing the Euro 2020 final.
    The foot injury means Foden will miss the start of the Premier League season, with City beginning their title defence at Tottenham on Sunday - live on Sky Sports.

"Hopefully I can get back playing with him and enjoy my football. It's still a little bit sore [the foot]. It was such a shame to do it before the Euro final, but I'm working hard in the gym. Hopefully it flies by and I can get back on the pitch," Foden told Sky Sports News.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With DeBruyne out injured, won't be a better opportunity for Grealish to cement his place in the side.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Surely need a striker or is Pep planning on playing 4 6 0 again.

Messi gone to PSG, Lukaku to Chelsea.

Surely they have to get Kane in.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Poor start from City.

KDB missing and City look a different side.

Ake? £40M really!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man City did not appear very threatening. Plenty of talent on the bench more then any other side means they can bring on world class players any time. Losing the first match is always a bad start, to win the EPL i'd say losing more then 5 matches makes it a difficult task. Great goal by Son, the keeper was distracted by his own defender otherwise he probably saves it.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester City are prepared to go to £150m in a bid to sign England striker Harry Kane, 28, with sources now saying that could be enough to get Tottenham and chairman Daniel Levy to open talks

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Pep Guardiola says he was disappointed with last week's result: "We have 111 points to play for - 37 games. We would've preferred to have three points but it's the second fixture and tomorrow we have a chance to get our first three. We want to be up there and close to the top of the league but many things will happen this season. I hope we will win the game but I want to see the team playing better in many aspects than the game against Spurs.

"The distances between lines, our accuracy not to lose the simple balls in physical conditions and be aggressive in the final third. There are many things in a football game that you can't work in just two or three days so we need a bit of time. We can do better.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man City to unveil Vincent Kompany and David Silva statues before Arsenal match on Saturday

Sculptures of Vincent Kompany and David Silva will be installed outside Manchester City's Etihad stadium ahead of this weekend's Premier League game against Arsenal, the club said.

A third statue - of Sergio Aguero - is set to join them next year with the three players recognised for their "unparalleled contribution to the club's transformation".

Kompany left City in 2019, having won the Premier League title four times, along with two FA Cups and four EFL Cups.

While Silva, who made 436 appearances for City, was widely regarded as one of the club's greatest players.

The club said the statues have been made by award-winning sculptor Andy Scott, who was only able to meet Kompany and Silva virtually due to the pandemic.

Khaldoon Al Mubarak, the club's chairman, said: "Ultimately, Vincent and David do not need statues to enshrine their achievements at Manchester City over the past decade.

"They are already revered as icons of their generation.

"But what these artworks give us, and generations to come, is the opportunity to be reminded of, and savour, the truly magical moments created by both men."

Scott said he was "absolutely thrilled" to have won the commission to create the three statues.

"It's an unbelievable honour to work on something that will be visited by hundreds of thousands of fans as they remember and celebrate the achievement of their footballing heroes," he said.

"I have always been struck by how sportsmen and women move and perform, and in the case of football specifically, how they anticipate the ball, how they combine with their teammates, and sometimes simply how they stand.

"Reflecting these elements was always going to be challenging, but it was particularly so during a global pandemic as we were only able to meet with Vincent and David virtually.

"But with their insights and extensive research of film and photographic footage, I have tried to capture their unique physical characteristics and their distinctive movements in a way which I hope does justice to both of these phenomenal footballers.

"It's been such a pleasure to work on this prestigious project and I can't wait to finally get to meet the team in person as we set about the final installations at the Etihad Stadium this week."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ch-on-saturday

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester City have been offered the chance to sign Cristiano Ronaldo from Juventus.

Ronaldo is out of contract next summer and Juventus want to sell him to save on the £500,000 a week wages they pay him plus ta

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester City have suspended left-back Benjamin Mendy, pending an investigation, after he was charged by police.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Benjamin Mendy: Manchester City footballer charged with rape

Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been charged with rape.

The 27-year-old defender has been charged with four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault, Cheshire Police said.

The charges relate to three complainants over the age of 16 and are alleged to have taken place between October 2020 and August this year.

Mr Mendy, of Prestbury, has been remanded in custody and will appear at Chester Magistrates' Court on Friday.

The left-back has played for last season's Premier League champions since 2017, when he joined from Monaco for a reported £52m.

A police spokesman said: "Cheshire Constabulary and the Crown Prosecution Service would like to remind everyone that criminal proceedings against Mendy are live and that he has a right to a fair trial."

Manchester City said the defender, who also plays for the French national team, had been suspended pending an investigation.

"The matter is subject to a legal process and the club is therefore unable to make further comment until that process is complete," the club added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-58348288

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ronaldo moving to City now?!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been remanded in custody after appearing in court charged with rape and sexual assault.

The 27-year-old defender is accused of four counts of rape and one count of sexual assault at his home in Cheshire.

They relate to alleged attacks on three women, including one aged under 18, between October 2020 and August 2021.

Mr Mendy spoke only to confirm his name, address and date of birth at Chester Magistrates' Court.

No pleas were entered as the charges were put to the Premier League footballer, who had also been facing one count of breaking his bail conditions in August.

That charge was withdrawn in court.

Proceedings were relayed back to the French international via an interpreter.

He showed no emotion as he was taken from the court accompanied by two dock officers at the end of the hearing, which lasted about an hour.

District Judge Jack McGarva sent the case to Chester Crown Court where Mendy is due to appear on 10 September.

The left-back has played for last season's Premier League champions since 2017, when he joined from Monaco for a reported £52m.

In a statement on Thursday, Manchester City said the club had suspended the player pending an investigation.

BBC

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Ten-man Arsenal were completely outplayed by Manchester City as they slumped to the bottom of the Premier League.

It is the first time since 1954 that the Gunners have lost their three opening games of the league season and this match was effectively over by half-time.

City captain Ilkay Gundogan and striker Ferran Torres scored in the first 12 minutes and any hope Arsenal had of an unlikely comeback was ended when midfielder Granit Xhaka was sent off for lunging into a challenge on Joao Cancelo.

A trademark teasing run from £100m man Jack Grealish set up Gabriel Jesus for an easy third just before the break, then Rodri guided home a fourth from 20 yards just after it.

Such was his side's total control that City manager Pep Guardiola had used all three substitutes within 16 minutes of the second half starting. It turned into an extended keep-ball session for the hosts, who finished off the rout with Torres' second six minutes from time.

Guardiola's counterpart and former assistant Mikel Arteta looked shell-shocked in the other technical area as Raheem Sterling - twice - Aymeric Laporte and Riyad Mahrez wasted opportunities to increase the margin of victory still further.

By the end, Arsenal had managed a single shot - off target - and 19% possession. They are still to score in the Premier League this season and immediately after the international break play Norwich, the team they replaced at the foot of the table.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ruben Dias has signed a new contract at Manchester City, committing him to the club until 2027.
    The 24-year-old defender moved to the Etihad Stadium from Benfica in September 2020, for an initial £62m rising to £65m with add-ons.

He impressed in his first season in English football, helping City win the Premier League title and Carabao Cup and reach the final of the Champions League.

Speaking to Manchester City's official website, Dias said: "I have enjoyed every single minute of my time at City since joining last year.
    "Playing for City has surpassed all my expectations and it's an absolute pleasure to be part of such an incredible squad.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manchester City have handed goalkeeper Ederson a new five-year deal, keeping him at the club until 2026, when he'll be 32

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Manchester City have handed goalkeeper Ederson a new five-year deal, keeping him at the club until 2026, when he'll be 32
    Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson has signed a new contract with the club, extending his stay at Etihad Stadium until 2026.

Ederson, who joined in 2017, has won three Premier League titles at City and has played 194 games for the club.

The Brazilian is the fifth senior player to agree new terms in 2021, following Kevin de Bruyne, Fernandinho, John Stones and Ruben Dias.

"This was an easy decision - there is nowhere else I'd want to be," he said.

"To be part of one of the best squads in world football and to compete for trophies year in year out is what every footballer wants, and that is the opportunity you're given at City."

Since signing from Benfica four years ago, Ederson has won every possible domestic honour during his time at the Etihad, including one FA Cup and four EFL Cups to add to the three Premier League titles.

In his 194 appearances in a City shirt, the Brazilian has kept an outstanding 95 clean sheets and twice been awarded the Premier League's Golden Glove.

"We have achieved so much in the last four years," he continued.

"I am confident we can continue to bring more success to the club in the coming seasons."

The 28-year-old also praised the "outstanding" Pep Guardiola and said that working with him has been "one of the greatest experiences of my career".

Manchester City director of football Txiki Begiristain added: "Ederson is one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

"His performances over the last four years have been nothing short of exceptional and there is no doubt he will continue to be a key player for us. We are thrilled he has committed his future to the club."

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Really good win at Leicester City yesterday.

Always a tough match and City handled their opponents very well.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Pep Guardiola says Manchester City are not Champions League failures and described last season's performance as an "incredible achievement".

City have not won European football's premier club competition and were beaten 1-0 by Chelsea in the 2020/21 final.

Guardiola's side get their new campaign underway on Wednesday when they welcome RB Leipzig to the Etihad, and the City manager insists it is wrong to look back on the previous season as a failure.

"People can say Man City was a failure but it was an incredible achievement last season, playing really well in many of the games and losing well against a big contender," Guardiola said.

"Every time I start this competition with drive. I'm incredibly happy here. Man City made a step forward last season, we improved a lot. We had 13 games and we won 11.

"We played incredibly well in Porto [in the group stage] when we drew and deserved to win. We lost the final.

"Now we start a new one and every team wants to win. We're going to try but I won't tell you which team is going to win because I don't know it."

Former Barcelona boss Guardiola, who has won the Champions League twice but not since 2011, says he has learned to live with a perception that he needs to win the competition with City to be judged a success in Manchester.

"I accept it. Every year is the same," he added.

"If I win the Champions League I will be happy for the club. If I'm not able to do it, I'm not able.

"After, you can judge the success of my period."

Rodri: We have no regrets
    Rodri insists City have no regrets over last season's final defeat and is determined to go one better this term.

"We had a great season," the Spain midfielder said. "We were proud of what we achieved. It was the first time in our history we reached the final.

"We have no regrets. We will learn from this experience.

"The Champions League is decided by little differences. We have to build another building - a huge building - this season to achieve the Champions League."

SKY

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola said he felt "guilty" after his side failed to put on "a show" in Saturday's goalless draw with Southampton.

Guardiola had earlier refused to apologise for calling on City fans to attend the game in the aftermath of Wednesday's 6-3 Champions League win over RB Leipzig.

His side managed just a single shot on target in Saturday's stalemate.

"Always when the game is not good I feel bad," Guardiola said.

"[The fans] come to see a show, to see a game. When it doesn't happen I feel a bit guilty because we didn't play good.

The official attendance at Etihad Stadium on Saturday was 52,698 - City's biggest of the season so far and much higher than the 38,062-crowd against Leipzig in midweek - but the vociferous home support failed to inspire the Premier League champions against Saints.

Guardiola reiterated afterwards that his comments in the wake of Wednesday's Group A victory were misinterpreted.

"I didn't say anything wrong after Leipzig," he said. "I said we had an incredibly tough game against Southampton and we would need the support from the fans.

"I never complained about how many come or don't come. I have never thought this in my life. I don't know why people are asking me this question. I'm grateful even if 85 or 100 people come."

City were uncharacteristically poor in possession and lacked their usual attacking spark against Ralph Hasenhuttl's side, with their only effort on target coming in the 90th minute.

The visitors played well and were awarded a second-half penalty for a foul on Adam Armstrong by Kyle Walker - who was subsequently sent off - but both decisions were overturned by referee Jon Moss after he watched replays of the incident on the pitchside monitor.

"We were not good in our build-up, we lost simple balls in our process because we were not clever and a little bit sloppy," Guardiola added.

"That is why I have to compliment Southampton. We move forward."

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Not replacing Aguero looks like it may haunt them until they sign another striker.

Can't keep expecting the midfielders to carry on scoring the majority of their goals.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Not replacing Aguero looks like it may haunt them until they sign another striker.

Can't keep expecting the midfielders to carry on scoring the majority of their goals.
    I didn't want Harry Kane and I'm glad we missed out on him.

He hasn't got the pace to unlock top quality defences - look at his limited returns against the elite teams in the latter stages of a World Cup and 2 Euros.

Haaland spent the first 3 years of his life in Manchester while his Dad played for Man City, and I'd much rather have him. To be honest, I'd rather have Mbappe too but also Victor Osimhen, who would only cost around 75 million pounds - half the price of Kane for a guy 4 years younger (officially 6, but those are Nigerian years) and much faster.

Or go even younger and buy Darwin Nunez from Benfica for 30 million, knowing that you're buying a guy with all the physical attributes but who is not the finished article.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I didn't want Harry Kane and I'm glad we missed out on him.

He hasn't got the pace to unlock top quality defences - look at his limited returns against the elite teams in the latter stages of a World Cup and 2 Euros.

Haaland spent the first 3 years of his life in Manchester while his Dad played for Man City, and I'd much rather have him. To be honest, I'd rather have Mbappe too but also Victor Osimhen, who would only cost around 75 million pounds - half the price of Kane for a guy 4 years younger (officially 6, but those are Nigerian years) and much faster.

Or go even younger and buy Darwin Nunez from Benfica for 30 million, knowing that you're buying a guy with all the physical attributes but who is not the finished article.
    Who wouldn't want Haaland? But does he want Man City? I think he will play for an iconic club like Real Madrid, or Man United

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    Who wouldn't want Haaland? But does he want Man City? I think he will play for an iconic club like Real Madrid, or Man United
    Sure but they both have major problems.

Real Madrid are bankrupt and can only afford Haaland by combining him with nobodies. They have a big problem with revenue which is why they are so desperate for the SuperLeague.

Man United have been slowly asset-stripped by the Glazers and now pick up the likes of Ronaldo and Cavani only when they are extremely old and on a free transfer.

Economically, PSG and Man City can afford players whom nobody else can. Thatís why Kane is stuck at Spurs - the only two teams which can afford him are holding off buying him in case they get the chance to have Haaland or Mbappe instead.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Pep Guardiola's body language does not exactly disguise his feelings and it screamed out just how much Manchester City's victory at Chelsea meant to the Premier League champions and their manager.

The 1-0 win, thoroughly deserved and confirmed by Gabriel Jesus's deflected 53rd-minute strike, wrote Guardiola's name even more indelibly in Manchester City's history as this was 221st victory in all competitions, the highest ever achieved at the club.

This, however, was a side issue after a performance that carried all the hallmarks of champions and sent out a powerful message to Chelsea and any other rivals that Manchester City will not give up their crown easily.

Not that you would necessarily have known if you had indulged in a spot of Guardiola watching in his technical area, a blizzard of discontent one moment, agitation the next, delight when Gabriel Jesus struck and the tic-tac micro-management that is his trademark.

When a Kevin de Bruyne pass failed to find its target late on, the thwack of a plastic bottle could be heard around Stamford Bridge as it hit the turf before ricocheting into the air.

When another passage of possession went astray, Guardiola spun on his heels and ordered substitutes Raheem Sterling and Fernandinho into a quick change to get them on before Chelsea had the chance to snatch an equaliser that would have been grand larceny.

In the end, all was well and it was a more relaxed Guardiola who was able to reflect on a display that was hugely impressive from first to last, the only negative being City's failure to convert the host of second half opportunities that could have made the manager's last few minutes far more relaxing.

Guardiola has faced questions this season about his lack of a recognised striker, especially when they barely mustered a shot amid the struggles of goalless draw at home to Southampton.

He argues his squad has the quality and adaptability, as well as the trophies, to cope and this was demonstration of what Guardiola means, with Phil Foden starting as a false nine but Chelsea also being confronted by an array of attacking threats.

Guardiola said: "Sometimes we believe we need a proper striker to finish but the important thing is the way we play. The most important thing is doing it as a team and as a unit. It's like last season. Sergio Aguero was injured all year and we won the Premier League."

He added: "We played for each other, ran for each other and passed the ball for each other. I'm watching The Ryder Cup and I'm seeing how they play for each other. That is nice when you play football too. It's just three points of course, but the way we played was so good.

"It's a good way to start this fascinating week we have ahead of us."

Fascinating indeed, as Guardiola and Manchester City travel to Paris St-Germain in the Champions League before meeting Liverpool at Anfield next Sunday.

This was the perfect start and it came in a game in which many ranked the champions as underdogs given Chelsea's superb start to the season, their status as Champions League holders, and the addition of £97.5m striker Romelu Lukaku.

Guardiola was heavily criticised for not selecting a holding midfielder in that Champions League Final loss. He did not make the same mistake here as Rodri was the man for the job, knitting it all together as City controlled the important phases of the game.

Lukaku had one of those afternoons when his touch was poor and his radar was off but in his defence he was starved of service and City's defensive partnership of Aymeric Laporte and Ruben Dias presented a very formidable barrier.

It was a sign of how at ease City were, and also how Chelsea were betrayed by their own negative outlook, that Thomas Tuchel's side did not have a single shot on target, a stark statistic at Stamford Bridge.

Bernardo Silva, who also had questions posed about his future when City were pursuing Tottenham's Harry Kane, has looked a player re-invigorated and was again at the heart of so much of City's best work.

Jack Grealish carries his £100m price tag like a pleasure not a burden, probing throughout, smiling his way through some hefty challenges and looking perfectly at home with the champions.

This was a win that was significant in the wider context, however, because defeat for City would not just have been a body blow at the start of these vital eight days but would have given Chelsea the belief that they might just be untouchable this season.

Instead, City did not give Chelsea a sniff, took charge from the kick-off to play with the composure and intent of champions and will have left west London in good heart after giving their Champions League Final conquerors a lesson.

Chelsea, in contrast, were strangely passive. Whether it was Tuchel's selection of three defensive-minded midfielders in N'Golo Kante, Jorginho and Mateo Kovacic or a lack of conviction, this was a shadow of the team that has looked such a force under Tuchel.

Manchester City looked and played like a team in the mood to lay down a marker, to show their rivals they mean business and Chelsea ran straight into it.

Guardiola will not get carried away by one result and nor will Tuchel - quite correctly - but City kicked on to another level after winning at Chelsea last season. They will hope this win has the same effect.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester City defender Benjamin Mendy has been refused bail for a third time ahead of a trial facing multiple charges of rape and sexual assault.

The 27-year-old is accused of attacking three women at his home in Cheshire between October 2020 and August 2021.

Mr Mendy, who was not at Chester Crown Court for the hearing, is being held on remand at HMP Altcourse, Liverpool.

He is yet to enter pleas to the charges of four counts of rape and one of sexual assault.

The defendant was charged on 26 August with three counts of rape relating to an alleged incident in October 2020 and with the sexual assault of a woman in early January this year. He is also charged with raping a woman in August.

The France international has been in custody for about seven weeks and a trial date has been set for 24 January.

He joined Premier League champions Manchester City in 2017 from Monaco for a reported £52m but was suspended by the club after being charged by police, pending an investigation.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58916423

Manchester City forward Ferran Torres has been ruled out for four to six weeks after fracturing his right foot on international duty.

The Spain international was replaced early in the second half after scoring twice against Italy in the Nations League semi-final.

He was deemed fit to start Sunday's final, but was forced off before the end of the defeat by France in Milan.

The 21-year-old is likely to miss big games for both club and country.

Pep Guardiola's side travel to Old Trafford for the Manchester derby, plus a Champions League match with Paris St Germain within the next six weeks, while Spain face Greece and Sweden in next month's World Cup qualifiers.

City said Torres has returned to Manchester for tests "and will continue to be monitored".

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Raheem Sterling could not mark his return to Manchester City's starting line-up with a goal but Kevin de Bruyne made certain his side still beat Burnley after Bernardo Silva's early strike.

City had won 5-0 on each of the Clarets' past four visits to Etihad Stadium and it seemed like a similar scoreline was on the cards when the impressive Silva followed up Phil Foden's shot to give the home side an early lead.

There was to be no glut of goals on this occasion, however. Although City dominated possession and created plenty of chances, they failed to extend their advantage, giving the visitors hope.

Burnley gave them a few scares before De Bruyne added a second goal with 20 minutes to go, curling his shot home when the ball broke to him inside the box.

Sterling made only his third league start of the season - having been recalled at the end of a week where he spoke publicly about being open to a move abroad if he failed to get more game time at City.

He struggled to make an impact in the first half while playing as the central attacker in City's front three, managing only 11 touches - by far the lowest of any of their outfield players - and only one shot, which was blocked.

Sterling was far more involved when he switched to the left flank after the break but was unable to add to his tally of one league goal in 2021-22 and it was down to De Bruyne to finish the game off.

The win moves City into second place, a point behind leaders Liverpool. Burnley remain in the bottom three, still without a league win this season.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/58833905

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Phil Foden scored twice as Manchester City produced a devastating first-half display to beat Brighton and move up to second in the Premier League.

Pep Guardiola's side scored three goals in the opening half hour as Brighton, who could have gone above City with a win, simply could not cope with the away side's sweeping attacks.

A brilliant hooked clearance off the line by Lewis Dunk from Gabriel Jesus' shot in the 10th minute was only a brief reprieve for the hosts as City took the lead three minutes later.

Seagulls goalkeeper Robert Sanchez dropped a routine save from a deflected shot at the feet of Bernardo Silva, who quickly found Ilkay Gundogan to score from close range.

The visitors made it 2-0 after a devastatingly quick break from a Brighton attack, charging up the pitch before Jack Grealish flicked the ball into Foden's path and the forward made no mistake for his third goal of the season.

Foden got his fourth of the campaign just moments later as Jesus' shot deflected off him after Sanchez could only stab away Grealish's low effort at the near post.

The England international almost got his hat-trick just before half time but Sanchez made a fine save to keep out a curling effort.

Brighton were better after the break and Ederson had to be alert to keep out decent efforts from Pascal Gross and Leandro Trossard.

Ederson was finally beaten in the closing stages when Enock Mwepu was brought down inside the box and Alexis Mac Allister just managed to get the ball past the City goalkeeper's dive.

Brighton came from two-goals down to beat Guardiola's side last season but there was to be no fightback this time as City wrapped up the win when an unmarked Riyad Mahrez rifled home in stoppage time as the visitors moved back to within two points of leaders Chelsea.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're lack of a No 9 will cost them

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    West Ham 0-0 Man City (5-3 on pens): Pep Guardiola's side have hopes of fifth-straight Carabao Cup win ended by Hammers

Manchester City's hopes of winning a fifth-straight Carabao Cup were ended as they fell to a 5-3 defeat on penalties at West Ham.

After a goalless 90 minutes of their last-16 clash at the London Stadium on Wednesday night, Phil Foden's missed penalty proved costly for City, while the Hammers scored all five of their attempts to reach the quarter-finals of the competition.

City had progressed through or won their last 21 ties in this competition, last being beaten by Manchester United in the fourth round in 2016 - Pep Guardiola's first season at the club. Their hopes of a record fifth win are over.

But for West Ham, who themselves beat Man Utd in the previous round, a dream start to the campaign continues across all competitions for David Moyes and his men.

https://www.skysports.com/football/w.../report/458476

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attended the UCL match against Club Brugge tonight. Dominant 4-1 victory and almost through to the knock-out stages. Just watching the likes of Foden, De Bruyne, Grealish warm up was enough to repay the ticket price. Unreal to see such quality in person.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  248.5 KB

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pep Guardiola not bothered by Manchester United record in derby while Manchester City remain dominant

Pep Guardiola says he is not bothered by Manchester United's record in the derby because City have always been superior to their rivals in the Premier League since he became manager five years ago.

Guardiola has been beaten in three of his last four meetings with United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer heading into Saturday's league match at Old Trafford, live on Sky Sports.

But he is quick to point out that while United have shown their credentials, City have finished above United every season in the league since he arrived in 2016, winning the title three times.

"They are a good, good team and this can happen, but we don't forget the points in the last five or six years," Guardiola told Sky Sports News.

"In every single season, we were ahead of them in the Premier League.

"So you want to say, 'Okay they beat us,' it's because it can happen, and they are good.

"But when I landed here to finish after five seasons - this is the sixth - the amount of points ahead that we are if we count every single season - at the end that is what counts."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...emain-dominant

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Manchester City footballer Benjamin Mendy has been charged with two additional counts of rape, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Mendy, 27, now faces six allegations of rape in all after initially being charged in August with four counts of rape.

The French international has been in custody since his arrest in August after a number of bail applications were made but refused by judges.

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pep Guardiola confirms that #MCFC midfielder Kevin De Bruyne has tested positive for Covid-19.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    UPDATE

MCFC will step up their attempts to secure Raheem Sterling to a long-term contract following his goalscoring return to Pep Guardiola's team and interest from Barcelona.