Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

ICC introduces new points system for World Test Championship

The International Cricket Council (ICC), according to espncricinfo, is set to introduce a new points system for the World Test Championship (WTC) which will begin on August 2021 and will conclude in June 2023.

According to the report, the second cycle of the WTC is set to begin in August with the five-match Test series between England and India. The Ashes is the only other five-match Test series to be played in the cycle while Australia will play a solitary four-match Test series against India.

Each match in the second cycle of the WTC is expected to be worth 12 points, a draw will be worth four points while a tie will be worth six points. Each team that is found guilty of a slow over-rate will be deducted one point for each over they have fallen behind on.

ICC’s acting chief executive officer Geoff Allardice explained that the new system was being introduced to simplify the overall process.

“Instead of each series being worth the same number of points, 120, irrespective of whether the series is played over two Tests or five Tests, the next cycle will see each match being worth the same number of points — a maximum of 12 per match,” he said.

“Teams will be ranked on the percentage of available points they won from the matches they have played. The aim was to try and simplify the points system and to allow teams to be meaningfully compared on the table at any point, though they may have played differing numbers of matches and series,” he added.

While the dates and venues are yet to be decided, there are expected to be seven three-Test series and 13 two-match Test series played during the WTC cycle.

Similar to the first cycle of the WTC, each national side is expected to feature in six Test series (three home and three away) during the second cycle while the pending matches, postponed during the Covid-19 pandemic, are not expected to be carried into the upcoming cycle.

England will feature in 21 matches, India 19, Australia 18, South Africa 15, Pakistan 14 matches while New Zealand, West Indies and Sri Lanka are expected to take part in 13 matches during the second cycle of the WTC.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/ne...ionship-report

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    More points should be awarded for away wins otherwise the home bullies will lead the table again.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    More points should be awarded for away wins otherwise the home bullies will lead the table again.
    Yes I agree with that azwell it gives the lesser teams an extra incentive

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    That's the point. India making it to the finals = $$$

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Each team should play against each other in WTC otherwise this looks like a joke. I hope ICC makes it mandatory for India and Pakistan to play against each other at least once just like LOI world cups. Since India and Pakistan can't tour in each other's countries they should play at a neutral venue decided by both BCCI and PCB. If one team tries to boycott that then they should lose points just like LOI world cups. Also whichever team wins that series should be awarded points based on an away win. However ICC needs to grow a spine for that to happen.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Each team should play against each other in WTC otherwise this looks like a joke. I hope ICC makes it mandatory for India and Pakistan to play against each other at least once just like LOI world cups. Since India and Pakistan can't tour in each other's countries they should play at a neutral venue decided by both BCCI and PCB. If one team tries to boycott that then they should lose points just like LOI world cups. Also whichever team wins that series should be awarded points based on an away win. However ICC needs to grow a spine for that to happen.
    India to play Pakistan in WTC Final next time. Pakistan has a very good chance of qualifying to finals.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why not have everyone play the same number of matches and run the schedule like you would a World Cup?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    India to play Pakistan in WTC Final next time. Pakistan has a very good chance of qualifying to finals.
    If that happens then it will be a one off match. I was talking about a 3 match bilateral series between India and Pakistan.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Away wins should be worth at least 16-18 points in my opinion.

A win in England is far superior than a win in Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, a new points system after India lost the WTC final? Ho ho ho! 😆

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a problem with the points system. Even the new one. Because the simple fact is that no team is on that invincible level where they can dominate at home and possess the ability to win an away series in every country. Also if you start rewarding teams more points from away wins then teams playing Bangladesh or West Indies might have an advantage.

I just hope they don't consider Kohli's ridiculous idea of making the final a best of three series. That would really be detrimental for the future of test cricket especially as ICC is trying to attract more new viewers. The entire appeal of a final is that its a final. Its one match.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Not directed at you but as if the big 3 want to play SL, WI or Bangladesh. They'd rather play 5 matches series against each other as often as they can. Can only blame themselves when they miss out on playing the WTC Final.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict View Post
    Don't worry bro. Your other thread allows for rain. Maybe it will save you?

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The format will be much better with 3 tests series home and away against everyone and 3 tests for finals as well. To make it interesting have 3 different venues for 3 finals.

I don't think it will happen, so WTC will remain a sideshow in the test format. Financially, big3 may not want to play against everyone, but that will really help.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Mirpur A.K
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Until they dont play equal number of matches
    This point systems will be useless.

Should do home and away thing

لاا اله الا الله استغفر الله سبحان الله وبحمده سبحان الله العظييم

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How this point system works, if all the teams aren't going to play same number of matches in a cycle

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2692 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Not a bad outcome I guess they can make improvements down the tracks. Hopefully the WTC takes off that would be the main thing.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Los Santos
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone else see the problem with this? It's funny how everyone just ignore that there are going to be an equal number of points per match yet not all teams will get to play an equal number of matches, that really puts smaller and financially strapped boards at a disadvantage and countries with security issues that can't host as many games, this new points system has been designed to benefit the Big 3 and ensure that they'll be the ones making the finals and winning the WTC. This is a blatant monopoly (or should I say, Triopoly).
    “Instead of each series being worth the same number of points, 120, irrespective of whether the series is played over two Tests or five Tests, the next cycle will see each match being worth the same number of points — a maximum of 12 per match,” he said.

England will feature in 21 matches, India 19, Australia 18, South Africa 15, Pakistan 14 matches while New Zealand, West Indies and Sri Lanka are expected to take part in 13 matches during the second cycle of the WTC.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    Does anyone else see the problem with this? It's funny how everyone just ignore that there are going to be an equal number of points per match yet not all teams will get to play an equal number of matches, that really puts smaller and financially strapped boards at a disadvantage and countries with security issues that can't host as many games, this new points system has been designed to benefit the Big 3 and ensure that they'll be the ones making the finals and winning the WTC. This is a blatant monopoly (or should I say, Triopoly).
    Read the OP again.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Los Santos
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ So as it stands, with this schedule and point-system the maximum amount of points each team can win is

1. England - 252
    2. India - 228
    3. Australia - 216
    4. South Africa - 180
    5. Pakistan - 168
    6. New Zealand, Sri Lanka & the West Indies - 156

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    ^ So as it stands, with this schedule and point-system the maximum amount of points each team can win is

1. England - 252
    2. India - 228
    3. Australia - 216
    4. South Africa - 180
    5. Pakistan - 168
    Do you seriously think the ICC could get away with cheating in school level maths..

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    Wait, a new points system after India lost the WTC final? Ho ho ho! 😆
    How would a new point system help India in finals? It can only help a team reaching finals, which India already did. Now the team that plays better wins the final since its a one off game. ICC should rather not allow teams to play test series before the WTC Finals just like NZ did which gave them extra advantage.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It won't happen because it's not practical, but it's only my dream anyway and I wish the ICC makes the following changes to the next WTC cycle:

1. Make the points system like how rating points are calculated in the ICC Test rankings table, i.e., taking the strength of the opposition into calculation. You get more points if you beat a higher ranked opposition and don't get as many points if you beat lower ranked sides. Right now, the ICC Test team ratings table has been made obsolete with the introduction of the WTC and theoretically, a team can win the WTC trophy even if it isn't ranked the best team in the ICC Test rankings table, which makes the table useless.

What I would do to counter that is use the ICC Test team rankings table as a guide to determine which is a higher ranked side and which is a lower ranked side. So even though all teams start with 0 points in the WTC table, the rating points of respective teams at the start of a series in the WTC will be used to determine which is a higher ranked side and which is a lower ranked side. So India beating Bangladesh at home would not fetch the same points in the WTC table as Australia beating NZ at home. This would at least bring context to the ICC Test team ratings table which is now obsolete.

2. Give more weightage to away wins. This has been a long time request by so many Test cricket fans and it's silly to grant the same points for beating West Indies or Bangladesh at home to beating Australia or New Zealand away. Points being given based on the relative strengths of the test teams would take care of the disparity between beating Australia/England away and beating Bangladesh away.

3. Allow all teams to play the same number of matches and fixtures, the big 3 can schedule more tests if they want but it won't be counted towards the WTC. Make all teams play 3 tests with each other home and away. But this will obviously require the big 3 to make concessions because firstly they play the most, if not only 4 and 5 match series in Test cricket. They should be told only the first 3 tests of any marquee series would be counted towards the WTC and they can include the remaining matches to decide the winner of the Ashes or BG trophy. And most importantly, India should be told firmly that they have to play Pakistan, or risk losing points in case of a forfeit. I know this is a pipe dream, but it's my dream, so I can imagine whatever I want lol.

4. I know 3 tests home and away will take a longer time to complete than 2 years, so make it a 4 year cycle like the world cup. If you're going to bring context to Test cricket, make the ultimate trophy a 4 yearly event like the world cup because a 2 yearly event makes it look like a Champions trophy or a WT20.

5. Now let's come to the most difficult part! Make the final a 3 test series between the top two ranked sides with:

a) One venue in conditions with swing and seam - England/New Zealand

b) One venue in conditions with pace and bounce - Australia/South Africa (maybe include the Windies too if they continue to make quick wickets)

c) One venue in conditions assisting spin - India/Pakistan/SL/Bangladesh/UAE.

You can't compare other sports or formats with test cricket and opt for a one off final. Nowhere is the toss more important than test cricket. In sports like football or tennis, the impact of a toss is simply choosing a side and whether to serve or receive. In ODI and T20 cricket, there are obviously more differences than simply choosing a side in Tennis, but still the conditions won't change as drastically and dramatically as it does in Test cricket. In Test cricket, the toss and the conditions dictate terms and one side can have better conditions and one side can have terrible conditions for batting purely due to luck and toss of a coin.

Also I think the concept of "neutral venue" needs a more nuanced discussion. I mean, the UAE or Sri Lanka is not really "neutral" for India and Australia. Similarly England and Pakistan playing a final in NZ is not really the same for both teams. What would be truly "neutral" is Australia and England playing a final in Kolkata or Karachi. Similarly India and Pakistan playing a final at Melbourne or Lords. Or even England and New Zealand playing a final at the Wanderers.

I know the last cycle worked well, but imagine if England had made the final instead of India or NZ. The whole concept of a "neutral" venue would've been then rendered a joke. Similarly imagine if it had rained on the last day too making the one off final a washout. Or if it's a flat wicket for the final and the one off final is a drawn test, making the two finalists share the trophy. Sure, a 3 test series can be drawn too, but at least you give more context and finally if it's drawn, give the trophy to the team finished first in the the table. You could do the same too to the current WTC format, but then the team that finished first would start the only one off final with an intention to only draw the test and not win. In a 3 test series however, it's hard to go into the series only with an intention to draw the entire series, whereas it's much easier to draw a single test if you keep batting in the 1st innings with no intention to win. Most importantly, a 3 test series in varied conditions will give us an "all conditions" winner as test cricket is mainly about conquering unknown alien conditions and territories. The WTC in its current format can end up having a finalist which ends up playing the final in its home and winning it against a touring team from alien conditions. All these are not easy to implement, but this would be my ideal format for the WTC.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    617 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

1. England - 252
    2. India - 228
    3. Australia - 216
    4. South Africa - 180
    5. Pakistan - 168
    The total number of points won don't matter, but rather the percentage of points won.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. England - 252
    2. India - 228
    3. Australia - 216
    4. South Africa - 180
    5. Pakistan - 168
    That doesn't mean England qualifies to be in the Finals straightaway.
    The total score is divided by number of tests played so it is (points / tests palyed).

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happens if an inordinate number of matches (like say in England) are rained off and both the teams end up with 4 points each? Perhaps England peferred picking up those 12 points.
    So, England have to hope that it rains when they play strong team and doesn't rain when they face weaker teams.

Flay with test matches is exactly that. There must be a way to eliminate the draws Test Matches if you want a fair scoring system.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed fully.

There is no reason this could not be played in the UAE or, if England have a spare slot in the summer, it would be absolutely huge. Imagine a 3 test series across London, Birmingham and Leeds. If either side refuses, they lose 5 points. Simple as that.

However, what is this nonsense from the ICC?

"“Teams will be ranked on the percentage of available points they won from the matches they have played. The aim was to try and simplify the points system and to allow teams to be meaningfully compared on the table at any point, though they may have played differing numbers of matches and series,” he added."

This is supposed to be a simplified version of allocating points but it is more complicated and less transparent.

Ech series currently being worth the same amount of points makes it fairer for teams playing 2 or 3 test match series. Now the points are allocated per match...and then they look at percentage of points on offer and wha twas won? Huh? The ICC needs to announce a proper explanation of this nonsense.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    where is the final being played this time round?

pak v ind final in india would pbly be the most watched test in history.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A Pakistan-India final would truly mean that the WTC has arrived as a competition. That's arguably why they've contrived to create such a convenient FTP schedule for Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The International Cricket Council has confirmed the points system for the second edition of the ICC World Test Championship (WTC) as well as the bilateral series that will be part of the 2021-23 cycle commencing next month.

Each match of the upcoming WTC will now be contested for the same number of points – 12 for a win, four for a draw and six for a tie, moving away from the previous system where the same number of points were allocated to each series, divided across the number of matches played.

ICC Acting Chief Executive Geoff Allardice said the changes had been made to simplify the points system while taking learnings from the disruption last year:

“We received feedback that the previous points system needed to be simplified. The Cricket Committee took this into consideration when proposing a new, standardized points system for each match. It maintained the principle of ensuring that all matches in a WTC series count towards a team’s standing, while accommodating series varying in length between two Tests and five Tests.

“During the pandemic we had to change to ranking teams on the points table using the percentage of available points won by each team, since all series could not be completed. This helped us determine the finalists and we were able to complete the championship within the scheduled time frame. This method also allowed us to compare the relative performance of teams at any time, regardless of how many matches they had played.”

WTC 2 Fixtures: As in the first edition of the championship, the nine teams will play six series each, three home and three away with the cut-off date being 31 March 2023.

Meanwhile, New Zealand captain Kane Williamson, India captain Virat Kohli and England captain Joe Root looked forward to doing their best in the second edition of the ICC World Test Championship, which commences with the England-India series in Nottingham on 4 August.

New Zealand captain Kane Williamson: “It was obviously pretty special to win the inaugural ICC World Test Championship in Southampton last month and it’s exciting to now look ahead to the second edition.

“The WTC has certainly added more context and brought new meaning to Test cricket and it was awesome to see the interest that was generated around the Final against India.”

“We know trying to defend the title will be a huge challenge, but our focus will be on making sure we prepare as well as we can for the tours ahead and trying to maintain our level of performance.”

India captain Virat Kohli: “It was great to have played the final of the ICC World Test Championship against New Zealand in what was a memorable contest.

“Not just the final, we saw the determination of players throughout the first edition of the championship.

“The following of cricket lovers too was great to see, and I am sure they will all be waiting eagerly for the second edition.

“We will regroup with new energy for the next cycle starting with our series against England, hoping to give our fans a lot to cheer about.

England captain Joe Root: “We start our campaign in the second edition of the ICC World Test Championship against the finalists of last time, which is an interesting challenge straight away.

“India are a fine all-round side and it would be good to test them in our home conditions. “We narrowly missed out on qualifying for the final last time and are looking to do better this time.

“Test cricket is a format we all want to excel in and with points at stake for each match, everyone has to be at their best all the time.”
    Last edited by MenInG; 14th July 2021 at 21:06.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good schedule for Pakistan. They play stronger opposition at home and Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West Indies away.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    What a load of garbage.

No extra points for winning away.

Away series against Eng counted the same as away series against WI.

What ghatiya tournament are they running.

ICC is the most useless organization in the world.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ICC making real shambles of this.
    Killing a dying format.

They need a more condensed tournament with three matches minimum between all teams.
    Final should be three test matches.

This is a riduculas tournament so far.
    Make it big tournament.
    Or hold it over a 5 month period.... in one or two hosts.....

Current format is not working.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So basically a non big 3 team can never win because they are the only ones who play a lot of tests.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    So basically a non big 3 team can never win because they are the only ones who play a lot of tests.
    Perhaps this is ICC's way to encourage non big3 boards to play more of the "premier" format.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Yes I agree with that azwell it gives the lesser teams an extra incentive
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    What a load of garbage.

No extra points for winning away.

Away series against Eng counted the same as away series against WI.

What ghatiya tournament are they running.

ICC is the most useless organization in the world.
    If India beat England home and SL away, which win should get more points? What you guys think?

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChennaiFan View Post
    A good schedule for Pakistan. They play stronger opposition at home and Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, West Indies away.
    That is same for everyone
    Last edited by OMB; 15th July 2021 at 14:48.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those top teams who missed out on last wtc finals, it's all your undoing and bad performances consistently. You can't lose series after series and expect to play finals. It's true whether u play 10 or 100 games, you got to win

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any system has to go through changes and improvements, and we should be glad that ICC is trying out.
    As for those who just keep trolling on forums and social media uselessly , no one cares for you.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    waste of time. Any system or league where the same rules don't apply to all the teams has no integrity.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So many two-test series are a joke, whereas Sri Lanka are given three tests in India which are likely to be a bloodbath. Shooting themselves in the foot again, the ICC.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    To all those blaming icc for giving equal points to away and home wins, please come up with the math. Also make sure it is actually feasible.
    For instance we can't say that all countries should play equal matches coz nobody wanna watch sri lanka or bangladesh play 20 test matches. According to me, this is the best possible implementation, it will always remain biased in one way or the other, can't help it. But yeah the bias will balance out over two cycles of test series.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Making the finals is step 1, winning the finals is more $$$ for India and ICC

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by par View Post
    If India beat England home and SL away, which win should get more points? What you guys think?
    Interesting question....

If ranking of opposition is taken into account, that solves the problem for most part.

The top ranked teams are usually the most competitive away.

Even if they aren't, those kind of cases will be understandable.

But winning away against today's Lanka can't have the same points as winning in England.

Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting question....

If ranking of opposition is taken into account, that solves the problem for most part.

The top ranked teams are usually the most competitive away.

Even if they aren't, those kind of cases will be understandable.

But winning away against today's Lanka can't have the same points as winning in England.
    That is what the ICC team ranking does. It calculates the rankings of the oppositions. We could easily hand over the test championship to the top ranked team.

But more points for away wins is a ridiculous idea.

If you want to differentiate home and away conditions, then you have to differentiate between familiar and unfamiliar conditions as well.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by par View Post
    That is what the ICC team ranking does. It calculates the rankings of the oppositions. We could easily hand over the test championship to the top ranked team.

But more points for away wins is a ridiculous idea.

If you want to differentiate home and away conditions, then you have to differentiate between familiar and unfamiliar conditions as well.
    ICC team ranking does NOT include home or away factors tho.

Plus putting it all in a tournament context changes everything as we see in ODIs where bilateral bullies don't necessarily win the tourneys.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    England, India docked two WTC points for slow over-rate

Both the teams now have two points each in the ICC World Test Championship 2021-23 standings heading into the second Test at Lord's.

Apart from the point deduction, hosts England were also fined 40% of their match fee for slow over-rate while Virat Kohli's India were also penalised 40% by match referee Chris Broad.

The first Test between England and India at Trent Bridge ended in a draw. With the game evenly poised, both teams were left frustrated on the final day as the game was called off without a ball being bowled.

The two teams will now clash in the second Test at Lord's on Thursday, 12 August and will hope to put a win against their names in the ICC World Test Championship table.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ICC team ranking does NOT include home or away factors tho.

Plus putting it all in a tournament context changes everything as we see in ODIs where bilateral bullies don't necessarily win the tourneys.
    Sadly, No team proves that more solidly than us, we prove that time and again.
    Come an ICC tourney, we find a way to spectacularly bomb out...
    Hope the new cycle ignites us to greater heights
    starting with vk winning a few tosses for a change

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    England, India docked two WTC points for slow over-rate

Both the teams now have two points each in the ICC World Test Championship 2021-23 standings heading into the second Test at Lord's.

Apart from the point deduction, hosts England were also fined 40% of their match fee for slow over-rate while Virat Kohli's India were also penalised 40% by match referee Chris Broad.

The first Test between England and India at Trent Bridge ended in a draw. With the game evenly poised, both teams were left frustrated on the final day as the game was called off without a ball being bowled.

The two teams will now clash in the second Test at Lord's on Thursday, 12 August and will hope to put a win against their names in the ICC World Test Championship table.

Bound to happen when both teams pick 4 pacers

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Joke format too complicated.
    Do a simple knockout tournament if they can't at least get all teams playing in 3 match series....

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrIc_Mystique View Post
    Sadly, No team proves that more solidly than us, we prove that time and again.
    Come an ICC tourney, we find a way to spectacularly bomb out...
    Hope the new cycle ignites us to greater heights
    starting with vk winning a few tosses for a change
    I am mentally tuned for accepting losses in tourneys.

Overall, we are the best test team.

And among the top ODI teams.

All formats put together, easily the best team.

Such a shame we can't win any tourneys. Worst part is we know we will crash out for sure.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Latest after Pakistan's defeat to West Indies.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unless the malignant trifecta of Kohli, Pujara and Rahane are surgically removed from this team, this WTC cycle is a write-off for India. I would not even be sure of overcoming NZ and AUS at home with these three present.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Latest points table after India win in the 2nd Test

Name:  1229d122-1e6e-43c5-b509-cd785a98cdbb.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  89.6 KB

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Points table after end of the 2nd Test between West Indies and Pakistan

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    WI over rates during 2nd test were a shambles so have they been deducted points?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    WI over rates during 2nd test were a shambles so have they been deducted points?
    It’s such a kick in the teeth we didn’t win that series 2-0 looking at that table.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Points table after end of the 2nd Test between West Indies and Pakistan

So if I read this correctly, even if England win the remainder of the series, they will only end up with 58.33% of points on offer? And India's percentage will then decrease?

Yet England will be on 26 points...so which takes precedence, points or percentage?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It should be a 4 year cycle and not 2. Test championship should be as rare as a World Cup

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    After England's win in the 3rd Test

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is Pakistan on top of the table if they have the same points as WI? Is it cause Pak’s win was an away win?

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i think pak will need to win at least 7 of their 13 tests to have a chance to end up in top 2, assuming there are a few draws in there, and not 6 losses.

that means need 6 more wins from 11 tests, 2 vs bang, 2 vs sl, 2 vs aus, 2 vs nz, and 3 vs end.

realisitcally i think 1 from bang, sl and 2 against aus could be expected. which means pak would need to win at least 3 against nz and england.

still looks tough tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Line and Length View Post
    Why is Pakistan on top of the table if they have the same points as WI? Is it cause Pak’s win was an away win?
    guessing nrr, paks win is second test was much larger than loss in first, i dont know for sure tho.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    After India's win in the 4th Test

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    499 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Each team should play against each other in WTC otherwise this looks like a joke. I hope ICC makes it mandatory for India and Pakistan to play against each other at least once just like LOI world cups.
    I don't think ICC will want to shoot itself in the foot by trying to force its biggest revenue generator to do something it won't. Besides, England, Australia and NZ will certainly support India on this.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First finalist of WTC is already confirmed and it is India....this time we want Australia to be the other finalist.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Doha, Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So why isn't everyone playing everyone?

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal Ahmad15 View Post
    So why isn't everyone playing everyone?
    Because one country doesn't want to play against everyone. Three guesses who that is?

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Doha, Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastimasti View Post
    Because one country doesn't want to play against everyone. Three guesses who that is?
    Of course, it's India who doesn't want to play Pakistan, but they made it so every team won't play against two teams per WTC. At least they should have made it so everyone will not play one other team in the WTC (rather than not playing two).

Or they could just make everyone play everyone and have the India and Pakistan 3 or 5 matches as a no result (to make up for the fact that these two cant play each other).

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal Ahmad15 View Post
    Of course, it's India who doesn't want to play Pakistan, but they made it so every team won't play against two teams per WTC. At least they should have made it so everyone will not play one other team in the WTC (rather than not playing two).

Or they could just make everyone play everyone and have the India and Pakistan 3 or 5 matches as a no result (to make up for the fact that these two cant play each other).
    That is not a viable solution. The ICC should mandate all teams play and any team refuses is docked the full points.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is not a viable solution. The ICC should mandate all teams play and any team refuses is docked the full points.
    Might happen one day. I just want to be seeing happen before Test cricket dies

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Might happen one day. I just want to be seeing happen before Test cricket dies
    I don't think the ICC is a legitimate custodian of the game but test cricket has some strength in its legs still

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree.

India and Pakistan compete in other sports around the world, yet treat cricket as a political tool.

Would be nice to see a test series of that calibre, and I would not be surprised if the IND vs PAK game in the T20 WC generates a lot of revenue to get ICC thinking about this.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UzmanBeast View Post

India and Pakistan compete in other sports around the world, yet treat cricket as a political tool.

Which other sport do India and Pakistan play each other bilateraly?

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everyone should play everyone home and away, thats a proper test championship. I f india doesnt want to host pak or if pak doesnt want to host india treat it as a forfeiture dock the points and award it to the away team simple as that

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    everyone should play everyone home and away, thats a proper test championship. I f india doesnt want to host pak or if pak doesnt want to host india treat it as a forfeiture dock the points and award it to the away team simple as that

And why should everyone play everyone? Is everyone going to play everyone in the upcoming T20 wc? Or did everyone used to play everyone in the ODI wc until 2015? So why reserve that only for the WTC?

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Which other sport do India and Pakistan play each other bilateraly?
    With other sports, it's difficult to have bilateral fixtures.

I still believe that playing in all ICC events should be compulsory, and WTC is an ICC event.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And why should everyone play everyone? Is everyone going to play everyone in the upcoming T20 wc? Or did everyone used to play everyone in the ODI wc until 2015? So why reserve that only for the WTC?
    Because its a league and not a cup/knockout tournament. How many other leagues around the world do you know where not everyone plays each other? Imagine the premiership where man city doesn't have to play liverpool, or IPL where not everyone plays each other in the round robin, its not very effective way of deciding who is the best is it?
    Last edited by silentkiller187; 6th October 2021 at 17:31.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because its a league and not a cup/knockout tournament. How many other leagues around the world do you know where not everyone plays each other?
    Lol what? Where is it written that everyone should play everyone just because it's a 'league'? Do you see everyone playing everyone in the Champions League or the Europa League or the NFL which by the way , stands for National Football League ?

WTC is run on pre-set bilateral agreements which is no different from the concept of groups or conferences that we see in other tournaments.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol what? Where is it written that everyone should play everyone just because it's a 'league'? Do you see everyone playing everyone in the Champions League or the Europa League or the NFL which by the way , stands for National Football League ?

WTC is run on pre-set bilateral agreements which is no different from the concept of groups or conferences that we see in other tournaments.
    How many different groups and teams are in the above mentioned leagues, this is a simple 12 team championship over 2 years , the reason everyone doesn't play everyone is because of indias reluctance to play Pakistan, simple as that

If you want a proper test championship let everyone play everyone and then you can see who is the best, its a very simple concept but Indian fans want to overcomplicate things to justify their own team refusing to play everyone

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many different groups and teams are in the above mentioned leagues, this is a simple 12 team championship over 2 years , the reason everyone doesn't play everyone is because of indias reluctance to play Pakistan, simple as that

If you want a proper test championship let everyone play everyone and then you can see who is the best, its a very simple concept but Indian fans want to overcomplicate things to justify their own team refusing to play everyone
    In BCCI's defence, I believe the Indian Govt. is the one preventing them from playing. I am sure the BCCI cannot override the govt. Just as in the case of NZ cancelling their tour of Pak. due to their govt. order.