Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

"Over-coaching destroys any natural talent" : Lasith Malinga

The latest edition of the T10 League held in Abu Dhabi last November ended with a strong Maratha Arabians side lifting the title after a ten-day tournament that featured some of the top names of international cricket. Amongst those competing in cricket’s shortest format was the evergreen and easily recognisable, Lasith Malinga. The popular pace-bowler was one of the key performers for the eventual T10 champions, as he once again showed the fruits of his vast amount of experience which has seen him amass 335 international appearances since his debut for his country in July 2004.

Given that Malinga has been regarded as one the world’s top fast-bowlers in Limited-overs cricket for many years, it would stand to reason that he would have found it easy to perform in the T10 format, but as he explained, this version of the game presented its own unique challenges to him. “When I first started playing 50-over cricket, I thought that was a difficult format and then when Twenty20 cricket came around, I felt that it was an even tougher version of the game to bowl in. But now, after having played in my first T10 tournament, I can tell you that this is even harder than the other formats, simply because the batsmen want to hit every single ball you bowl at them out the ground and have no care for the reputation of the bowler and they just play fearlessly. But, I believe those who are good in the challenging T10 format can become excellent and intelligent cricketers in other formats of the game also, as playing in the 10-over format will greatly improve their skills and mental toughness” he suggested.

The name Malinga has always been synonymous with his mop of curly hair, superb yorkers, a unique and eye-catching bowling action and unerring accuracy, and his retirement from the 50-over format in July 2019 was probably greeted with relief by many batsmen and their cricketing footwear around the globe. For Malinga though, the decision to retire from ODIs was one that he had carefully planned and thought about for a few years and it was a decision that he believes will extend his playing career further.

“Even when I retired from Test cricket in 2011, I took that decision without any regret and it was taken with a lot of thought. I felt it was the correct decision and taken for the right reasons as I was having problems with a recurring knee injury. At that time, I had good support for my decision from the likes of Muttiah Muralitharan, Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene who told me that by retiring from Test cricket, at least I would be able to play ODIs and T20Is for a few more years and serve my country in those formats, rather than playing more Test cricket and then having to retire completely from every format. But then finally, at the conclusion of the 2019 World Cup, I decided to announce that I will retire from ODI cricket after the 1st ODI versus Bangladesh in July. It’s never easy to want to stop playing in any format for your country, but I felt that this was the right time and my body was telling me that it could no longer handle the pressure and strains of 50-over cricket.”

The Limited-overs tour of Pakistan last year by an inexperienced Sri Lankan squad concluded in an embarrassing 3-0 loss in the T20I series for the hosts which to an experienced campaigner like Lasith Malinga underscores the irrelevance of ICC rankings in the Twenty20 format as he explained, “I was very pleased about the result of the T20I series we played in Pakistan where we whitewashed the ICC’s number 1 ranked team by a 3-0 margin. I feel that our young players played well but we have to remember that in T20Is, the ICC rankings are just a number and nothing more as any team can beat the other on any given day, regardless of their respective rankings. And this was proven again when Sri Lanka who beat Pakistan so easily went to Australia and duly lost all three games!”

Of course the tour by Sri Lanka's limited-overs squads was an important event in itself but efforts to restore full international tours to Pakistan received a further boost when the Sri Lankan Test side visited the country for a 2-match Test series in December. Like most cricket-lovers, Malinga was pleased that such steps were taken and duly praised his countrymen for taking this decision to tour Pakistan.

“I think this was definitely a good move as Pakistan has struggled to host international sides since the tragic events of 2009 and I am so glad that this tour happened as it showed the world that Pakistan is a safe place to host cricket. I would like to praise the courageous decision from the Sri Lankan players who went to Pakistan to play the ODI and T20I series as well as those of my countrymen who agreed to go there to play Tests as well. The memories of the tragedy in Lahore in 2009 will always be there but I think it’s important that international cricket returns to Pakistan on a regular basis.”

The Indian Premier League has been credited for bringing a revolution in popularising franchise-based cricket but the standard of competition offered has also had a positive impact on the skills of cricketers as Malinga indicated, “The IPL really changed the course of my career. Apart from the obvious financial rewards, my fortunes improved in terms of skills and situation-handling as a bowler which greatly helped me in my career. I always feel that life is like a school where you are constantly learning and the IPL where you can have 40 to 50 thousand spectators shouting for or against you, is a place where players have to learn quickly to concentrate, to think on your feet and it has been a great learning environment for me.”

The slingy action which was Malinga’s trademark is not one that is mentioned in any coaching manuals, but the world of cricket is undoubtedly thankful that he was allowed to bowl throughout his career with his natural and unconventional style. To Malinga, the danger of over-coaching youngsters is a real one but as he has proven many times in international cricket, a successful bowler is one who can win games for his side, with or without the perfect bowling action.

“I am a firm believer in the concept that we should let bowlers bowl with their natural actions and what they are comfortable with and not try and teach them to follow the coaching manuals. To me this sort of coaching destroys any natural talent that exists and cannot be a good thing. If a bowler can bowl a perfect yorker or even a wide yorker, can bowl with a good line and length and swing the ball, then that is more than enough, so why change it. If a bowler with whatever action he has can play for his country for at least three years and be a match-winner than that should be enough to realise that you don’t have to change his bowling action. A bowler who plays with a perfectly coached action and is not a match-winner is of no use to anyone, even if he plays for ten years for his country.”

The world of cricket has been blessed with many excellent fast-bowlers in recent times and as Malinga looks towards the end of an illustrious career, he is happy that a newer generation of speed-merchants are ready to take the baton and continue this tradition.

”I am really impressed and happy with the progress of Kagiso Rabada and Jofra Archer. Both of these bowlers are intelligent, adept at using variation and also read the game well which makes them exceptional. I will also include Jasprit Bumrah in that list as these three bowlers are young and are looking at long and successful careers ahead of them. I know that all of these bowlers will put in special performances in the future because they have all the required skills to make them dangerous bowlers against any opposition and in any conditions. Amongst Sri Lanka’s pacers, I would mention Dushmantha Chameera, Nuwan Pradeep and Lahiru Kumara in the shorter formats as bowlers with some promise.”

With an impressive 545 international wickets to his name, the man who has been nicknamed Slinga has served his nation with distinction and like most champions, can soon look forward to hanging up his boots, but true to his nature as a master-craftsman, Lasith Malinga has plans to continue serving cricket. “My only plan after retirement, whenever that happens, is to pass on my knowledge to younger players. Whether this will happen in Sri Lanka or in another country, I don’t know at this point. I know that a lot of bowlers know how to bowl, but lack game-reading skills which is something I can teach them using my many years of experience. Coaching nowadays has become more about bio-mechanics, but I want to teach bowlers more about using the natural skills they have in an effective manner. In my view, a good bowler isn’t one that can get a top batsman out, but is one who can defend a low target and take his side to victory and that is what I want to show the younger bowlers when I retire.”
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 23rd January 2020 at 15:07.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    What an amazing bowler ! Had the pleasure of speaking to him at T10 and found him to be a very humble human being as well.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good interview.

The point about actions is interesting. It may have worked very well for Malinga, but it will be interesting if somebody like Bumrah can play for a long time with his action.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    Orlando, FL
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Over-coaching destroys any natural talent" : Lasith Malinga

Aaqib Javed haazir ho, Malinga just slapped you big time!

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    "If a bowler with whatever action he has can play for his country for at least three years and be a match-winner than that should be enough to realise that you don’t have to change his bowling action. A bowler who plays with a perfectly coached action and is not a match-winner is of no use to anyone, even if he plays for ten years for his country.”

Well said Malinga. In the end, it's all about winning!

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone send the memo to the PCB and the NCA.

Many a talent has gone in, been “coached” and left a nothing trundler.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Always loved the fact that Sri Lankan cricket has always produced these unorthodox cricketers, with natural ability and flair.

Sometimes in Pakistan cricket, players' natural flair is taken away from them and they become half the cricketer they once were.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malinga showed his class a year today in the IPL final. Holding his nerve for Mumbai.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...er-league-2019

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    37 years-old today

Happy Birthday to Mr. Slinger Malinga!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Sri Lanka T20 Skipper Lasith Malinga emphasizes that his decision to back out of the upcoming Lanka Premier League (LPL) cricket tournament, was with the intention to make way for new faces in the Sri Lankan team.

Many have criticized Malinga for participating in the Indian Premier League (IPL) and for backing out of the LPL, set to kick off from Thursday (26) in Hambantota.

Responding to the criticisms, Lasith Malinga said his time is coming to an end and he is ready to help new members making it to the Sri Lanka cricket team.

“I wish the LPL all the success. Some will wonder why lack of preparation is a problem for someone who has played so much cricket. You can’t do this by just preparing in your gym at home. Before I bowl a yorker in a match, I practice bowling that delivery about a thousand times. It is not something that happens by accident,” he explained.

The Sri Lanka T20 Skipper pointed out that if he fails to bowl yorkers in the LPL, people will criticize him saying “you can bowl yorkers in the IPL and not in the LPL”.

Stating that people are critical of him for backing out of the LPL, Malinga said that these are the same people who cheered him on when he took wickets for Sri Lanka.

“No matter what you achieve, sometimes you have to take the criticism too. The world knows what I have done for my country. The people who love me know it too. That is enough for me,”, Lasith Malinga added. (NewsWire)

http://www.newswire.lk/2020/11/24/ma...ng-out-of-lpl/

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    So his intention was to make way for new faces in the LPL but he doesn't have the same intention for new faces in IPL? Why doesn't he accept that LPL is not rich enough to afford his services lol?

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He should be a Lankan legend but will never get his due, the T20 wc was coz him.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/lasi...ricket-2355564

big blow to MI ..

Sri Lanka Fast Bowling Legend Lasith Malinga Retires From Franchise Cricket

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Legend!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Kandy: Sri Lanka fast bowler Lasith Malinga could return to the national team for the T20 World Cup, said the national selection committee chairman Pramodya Wickramasinghe.

"We will talk to Lasith soon. He is in our plans for the forthcoming T20 tours, including the T20 World Cup coming up in October," said Wickramasinghe.

"We are working out a long-term plan aiming at the 2023 (50-over) World Cup. There, our main focus is to adjust ourselves to forming an accurate average in terms of two main aspects. Those are the age and the fitness," Wickramasinghe told Morning Sports.

Malinga, who has announced his retirement from ODI cricket, was released by his IPL franchise Mumbai Indians (MI) ahead of the 2021 auctions. He is the lucrative league's leading wicket-taker, having taken 170 wickets in 122 matches.

The 37-year-old slinger was with MI since joining the team in the inaugural edition in 2008.

With back-to-back T20 World Cups scheduled in 2021 and 2022, Sri Lanka would need an experienced bowler like Malinga to marshal the attack.

"Lasith is also in our plans. We always should not forget that he is one of the greatest bowlers in our country even in his present form. His records speak for that. There are two back-to-back T20 World Cups that are coming up, this year and next year. We are going to discuss our plans with him when we meet him in the next couple of days," said Wickramasinghe, a former Sri Lanka pace bowler.

Malinga said he is "looking forward" to meeting the selectors.

"I have retired from both Test and ODI cricket but not from T20s. I also am keen to know how the selection committee is going to get the services of a senior player like me for the national side. In my career, I have proved on many occasions that I can come back after a long break and perform well for my country," he said.

https://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/l....1620647432723

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How is he still only 37? I swear he's been around for at least two decades. At least it feels like that.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't blame Sri Lanka for trying to bring back an over-weight and way past his prime Malinga. They probably have one of the worst bowling attacks in the world. Malinga, even at 37 walks into that side any day of the week, no questions asked.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Retirement is a cricketer's privilege and they can make a comeback whenever they want. Nothing wrong with that.

Malinga will be a lethal addition to SL's team in T20s although I doubt he is 37. ABD is 37 and I am sure Malinga is atleast 4 years older than him.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes over coaching makes a player too technical. I like slightly cavalier players

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Sri Lankan Lasith Malinga is widely regarded as one of the finest fast bowlers of all time. The Galle-born has been produced several magical performances with the ball throughout his career. Malinga also captained Sri Lanka during the final stages of the 2014 T20 World Cup at home that culminated in them becoming the champions.

Apart from that, Malinga has been a vital part of Mumbai Indians’ several Indian Premier League winning campaigns. As the veteran turns 38 today, let’s flip the pages and take a look at some of his best bowling performances in the international circuit.

6/38 vs Kenya, R Premadasa Stadium, 2011

Malinga was on a roll during the 2011 ICC World Cup. The right-arm pacer registered his best ever ODI figures during a group game against Kenya in Colombo in 2011. Batting first in the match, Kenya collapsed to be bowled out for 142. The credit for that goes to Malinga who scalped as many as six batters while giving just 38 runs at an economy of 5.14.

5/28 vs Australia, 2011

Malinga’s another top performance in the 50-over format came against Australia during the third One Day International of a five-match series in 2011. Defending 287 runs in the 50 overs, the hosts were able to script a convincing victory as Malinga returned with a five-wicket haul. He finished with excellent figures of 8.2-28-5 to steer his team to a 78-run win.

5/31 vs England, Pallekele, 2012

During a group game of the T20 World Cup 2012, Sri Lanka defeated England by 19 runs. When England were chasing a score of 170, Malinga triggered a collapse. He picked up a five-wicket haul with England managing 150.

5/6 vs New Zealand, Pallekele, 2019

Sri Lanka didn’t enjoy an ideal outing during the three-match T20I home series against New Zealand. The hosts lost the first two games to lose the series. However, they managed to save their pride by scripting a 37-run victory in the final contest. The credit for the win went to player of the match Malinga who picked up a hat-trick. He destroyed NZ’s batting unit by picking up a five-wicket haul and gave away just six runs in his four overs to register his best T20I figure of all time.

5/50 vs India, Galle, 2010

Sri Lanka had a blistering start in the three-match Test series against India in 2010 as Malinga caused a carnage on the field with the ball. Malinga picked two wickets in the second innings followed by a five-wicket haul in the third innings. The seamer gave away just 55 and 50 runs respectively across both the innings to help Sri Lanka to a 10-wicket win

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...g-4135919.html

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is spot on. It is usually the coach who has trouble correcting mistakes because he does not know how to fix those problems. Telling a player what they are doing wrong is fine, but if you can't tell him how to fix that problem, then you are leaving that player very confused and in the process you are always taking him away from his natural game because you planted something in his brain which he is not ready to fix overnight. All this should be done in the off season.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy birthday to the legendary Sri Lankan bowler.
    A very unorthodox slinging action which I am sure has spoilt the bowling actions of lots of kids. It is very very hard to land the ball where you want it to or have different variations with that action but he could pull it off like no one else.

What he says about over coaching probably is what most unorthodox players would feel and perhaps they can emulate that. Bumrah did that and has benefitted from it.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Sri Lanka pacer Lasith Malinga has decided to hang up his boots in T20I cricket, bringing an end to a glorious international career.

The pacer made this announcement on his social media channel. Malinga played 30 Test matches, 226 ODIs and 84 T20Is for Sri Lanka, picking up 546 wickets.

Malinga last played a T20I match for Sri Lanka in March 2020 against West Indies in Pallekele.

In a glorious international career, Malinga experienced some incredible highs representing the Sri Lankan national team. Malinga led his side to glory in the 2014 ICC Men's T20 World Cup in Bangladesh.

A fearsome pacer known for his menacing yorkers, Malinga is the leading wicket-taker in T20I cricket with his 107 scalps. Malinga also has two T20I hat-tricks to his name.

Malinga also picked up three hat-tricks in ODI cricket, with his performance against South Africa in the 2007 World Cup in West Indies etched in history. Malinga retired from Test cricket in 2011, to work on his fitness and concentrate on the shorter formats of the game.

His statement on Twitter read: Hanging up my T20shoes and retiring from all forms of cricket! Thankful to all those who supported me in my journey, and looking forward to sharing my experience with young cricketers in the years to come."

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    End of an era (2004-2021).

Definitely a Sri Lankan ATG in my book. A World Cup winning captain and impressive LOI records.

Bangladeshi Man