5th England versus India Test called off due to Covid-19 concerns, to be rescheduled later

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What will be the result of the 5th Test at Old Trafford?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Draw

3 13.64%
  • India win

15 68.18%
  • England win

4 18.18%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

5th England versus India Test called off due to Covid-19 concerns, to be rescheduled later

India take a 2-1 lead into Manchester for the final test starting this Friday.

A couple of potential concerns:

1. The risk of covid spreading through the Indian squad after the coaching staff tested positive; and

2. The weather forecast for Friday not looking that clever with scattered showers through the day.

The two major questions for the Indian team remain whether Ashwin plays and if Rahane retains his spot in the middle order.

All in all, India are strong favourites to win the series.
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 6th September 2021 at 21:35.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well let me post first:

India still have some questions. The batting still has issues but the openers are starting to look better...however Rahane is a problem of course.

England however have bigger issues. The openers just aren't good enough, bairstow and buttler have been poor and Moeens test career may be at an end. Jimmy is old and getting worse in the second innings, Broad is injured, Ollie and Co are same same and England don't see to have the balls to play Saqib. Maybe too many Asians in one side? No idea.

The ECB need to be better planned or they'll get hammered.

India are on the rise!!

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say England. Don't ask me why.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My Team for next test if it happens:-

Assuming the conditions are overcast,

Rohit Sharma ( doubtful)
    KL Rahul
    Cheteshwar Pujara( doubtful)
    Virat Kohli
    Hanuma Vihari
    Rishabh Pant (wkt)
    Ravindra Jadeja
    Shardul Thakur
    Umesh Yadav
    Mohammad Shami
    Jasprit Bumrah

I don't see any place for Ashwin when the conditions are overcast. Can't pick him just because it has been a bit unfair on him till now.

I think Ashwin really missed a trick. He should have booked his return flight ticket to UAE with Dinesh Karthik only. He would have surely found some company with DK and furthermore, he could also plan his future stint of commentary with SKY Sports based on DK's experiences with them.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 6th September 2021 at 23:05.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Tough time for Root - pressure on him and some players need to be replaced asap

Moeen comes to mind.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post

Rohit Sharma ( doubtful)
    KL Rahul
    Virat Kohli
    Hanuma Vihari
    Rishabh Pant (wkt)
    Ravindra Jadeja
    Shardul Thakur
    Umesh Yadav
    Mohammad Shami
    Jasprit Bumrah

I don't see any place for Ashwin when the conditions are overcast. Can't pick him just because it has been a bit unfair on him till now.

I think Ashwin really missed a trick. He should have booked his return flight ticket to UAE with Dinesh Karthik only. He would have surely found some company with DK and furthermore, he could also plan his future stint of commentary with SKY Sports based on DK's experiences with them.
    In that case Rahane should have booked the flight long back

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not bring Leach in?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say England. Don't ask me why.
    I also feel the same. England will escape with 2-2 just like they did in the ashes

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sindhiboy View Post
    I also feel the same. England will escape with 2-2 just like they did in the ashes
    Technically India should have already won the series had rain not interrupted the first game.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Depends on toss. England will come hard.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karthikc View Post
    In that case Rahane should have booked the flight long back
    Yeah, but Rahane was not dropped and still being picked. Ashwin on other hand was just not picked in any game so he has got nothing to do. So, he should have booked his ticket with DK and asked him about his experiences with SKY Sports so that he could also plan for a stint with them when India are travelling overseas.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    England Men’s Head Coach Chris Silverwood has named a 16-player squad for the fifth LV= Insurance Test match against India starting at Emirates Old Trafford on Friday 10 September 2021.

England Men’s Fifth Test Squad

Joe Root (Yorkshire) Captain
    Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
    James Anderson (Lancashire)
    Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
    Rory Burns (Surrey)
    Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
    Sam Curran (Surrey)
    Haseeb Hameed (Nottinghamshire)
    Dan Lawrence (Essex)
    Jack Leach (Somerset)
    Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
    Craig Overton (Somerset)
    Ollie Pope (Surrey)
    Ollie Robinson (Sussex)
    Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
    Mark Wood (Durham)

Lancashire wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler returns to the squad following the birth of his daughter during the fourth Test at the Kia Oval.

Somerset spinner Jack Leach has been added to the squad for the final Test of the series.

Batsman Sam Billings, who was included in the fourth Test squad, has returned to Kent.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    India has probably never won in this venue....

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England will come hard against india in 5th test. Nothing to losse for england, they will go by full force, trying everything. Difficult for india to win or draw the test

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bowlers like Archer, Wood, Stone generally won't win you tests against India. Our batsmen enjoy pace, bounce. It is lateral movement that kills them, especially if it swings big. Sam Curran may be a mediocre bowler but against a team like India, he can give his captain big wickets and change the momentum, better than Wood. Leach over Moeen would be an upgrade because Moeen is out of form and probably low in confidence. Leach is a test class spinner and for sure won't go at 4.5 rpo even if he isn't picking up wickets.

This is England's best team to win the OT test which is expected to see lots of rain and overcast conditions.

Hameed
    Burns
    Malan
    Root
    Pope
    Buttler
    Woakes
    Curran
    Robinson
    Leach
    Anderson

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post

Moeen comes to mind.
    Why pick on moeen? why not bairstow? hes been rubbish 90% of his test career, add to that hes averaging 21 from his last 18 tests.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    England Men’s Head Coach Chris Silverwood has named a 16-player squad for the fifth LV= Insurance Test match against India starting at Emirates Old Trafford on Friday 10 September 2021.

England Men’s Fifth Test Squad

Joe Root (Yorkshire) Captain
    Moeen Ali (Worcestershire)
    James Anderson (Lancashire)
    Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
    Rory Burns (Surrey)
    Jos Buttler (Lancashire)
    Sam Curran (Surrey)
    Haseeb Hameed (Nottinghamshire)
    Dan Lawrence (Essex)
    Jack Leach (Somerset)
    Dawid Malan (Yorkshire)
    Craig Overton (Somerset)
    Ollie Pope (Surrey)
    Ollie Robinson (Sussex)
    Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
    Mark Wood (Durham)

Lancashire wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler returns to the squad following the birth of his daughter during the fourth Test at the Kia Oval.

Somerset spinner Jack Leach has been added to the squad for the final Test of the series.

Batsman Sam Billings, who was included in the fourth Test squad, has returned to Kent.
    England should have picked billings cant do much worse than jonny "i get clean bowled every inns" bairstow.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Why pick on moeen? why not bairstow? hes been rubbish 90% of his test career, add to that hes averaging 21 from his last 18 tests.
    Moeen Ali is easily the worst international cricket to have played over 60 tests. An average of 28 is just unacceptable. Bairstow hasn't been great either but not as worse as Moeen.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Moeen comes to mind.
    Its a shame when you think of Moeen.

He seems to have the talent to be a great player but he just doesn't seem to have the fire in his belly to be the best he can be... Maybe he is just too cold blooded and is happy with being a bits and pieces player...

P.S. Is it the Pakistani genes ? Your thoughts on this would be interesting here Miggs..

"You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Moeen Ali is easily the worst international cricket to have played over 60 tests. An average of 28 is just unacceptable. Bairstow hasn't been great either but not as worse as Moeen.
    i am fully aware moeen is a poor test cricketer but hes always made a scape goat when others have been just as bad.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    You miss the fact that he has taken 190 wickets too. He is quite stylish as a batsman and is made for white ball cricket, and has done really well against India previously. But he doesnt seem to be putting enough revs on the ball and has not been getting any drift or purchase this time, lengths also have been too full. His batting in Tests is hit or miss. Somebody pointed out that he likes it easy, doesn't perform under pressure.

If he bowls with a full sleeve and is an off-spinner, rest assured he chucks. Amen

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redmaverik84 View Post
    You miss the fact that he has taken 190 wickets too. He is quite stylish as a batsman and is made for white ball cricket, and has done really well against India previously. But he doesnt seem to be putting enough revs on the ball and has not been getting any drift or purchase this time, lengths also have been too full. His batting in Tests is hit or miss. Somebody pointed out that he likes it easy, doesn't perform under pressure.
    If I'm in the opposition camp, the first name I would want to see on the England team sheet is Moeen Ali. Enough said.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England don't seem like they will win. So, it is either 2-1 or 3-1 to India.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On a given day both teams are capable of imploding albeit in different conditions. Indian tail has been really good which was not the case not long ago.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Rohit Sharma ( doubtful)
    KL Rahul
    Virat Kohli
    Hanuma Vihari
    Rishabh Pant (wkt)
    Ravindra Jadeja
    Shardul Thakur
    Umesh Yadav
    Mohammad Shami
    Jasprit Bumrah

Shami in, Siraj out seems right. Siraj's 1 wicket for 86 runs in the last Test quite poor, and Shami usually gets quite a few wickets. Hope Rohit is able to play.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dravidthewall View Post
    England will come hard against india in 5th test. Nothing to losse for england, they will go by full force, trying everything. Difficult for india to win or draw the test

I doubt that, England if i am correct probably will rest Anderson as he has bowled lot of overs in previous test and without him bowling i don't see England taking 20 wickets of ours. They would like him to stay fresh against Australia in next series
    Last edited by Stumper; 7th September 2021 at 19:40. Reason: missed one point.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If old trafford spins, leach may come in for jimmy. That would mean the oval test could have been anderson's last test ever against india.

Wood in for overton is the obvious change for england.

I dont see india changing a winning XI, including rahane's spot

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Probably they should rest Siraj (bring back Shami if he has recovered). Umesh should get a 2nd game. Thakur should continue. Ashwin may have to unfortunately sit out again...

Pujara is gaining confidence now and its not fair to remove him any soon... His strike rate is improved and he is not doing those blockathons now... If it was a dead rubber (if India 3-1), then probably Rahane could have been dropped (giving the excuse of "Resting" or "Rotation") and Mayank Agarwal could be played in middle order.

4 Seamer + Jadeja should continue anyhow...

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voted for India. They seems to be playing a fearless brand of cricket where as England depend too much on bits and pieces players.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voted for India but there is a good chance of England comeback especially in these conditions

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    India is a better side in Test , I do not think England can win unless someone comes up with a very very strong performance here

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sindhiboy View Post
    If old trafford spins, leach may come in for jimmy. That would mean the oval test could have been anderson's last test ever against india.

Wood in for overton is the obvious change for england.

I dont see india changing a winning XI, including rahane's spot
    I’d throw caution to the winds…

Burns
    Hameed
    Malan
    Root
    Pope
    Foakes
    Woakes
    Robinson
    Wood
    Mahmood
    Leach

It’s a wobbly middle order, but it is not as though Bairstow and Moeen were scoring much anyway.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    693 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Man I really hope we go in strong and not play catch-up, Bumrah Sahrdul arent going to rescue us always(with batting as well lol)

If India has actually changed we need to win this one..yes we are better than before but we need show in results as well
    Last edited by JaDed; 8th September 2021 at 02:56.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voted for England as old trafford has never been a happy hunting ground for India....it would be a miracle if India can escape defeat there

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't even predict this but England, the home side, who should know their best combination look a complete shambles.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England will win the last test and end up 2-2

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter if England wins, even drawing a series at home is unacceptable against India. England is no better than Sri Lanka, West Indies or Pakistan tbh.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Los Santos
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why are there 5 tests? This is an overkill

"Tea was funtaaastic" - Abhinandan

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    Why not? This series deserves equal billing as the Ashes- two top teams battling it out on 5th days is great advertisement for test cricket!

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why not? If anything, both teams have produced a thrilling series so far.

It is overkill when visiting team rolls over. But if a visiting team can compete then it's good to watch.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahul
    Rohit
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Pant
    Ashwin
    Jadeja
    Shardul
    Bumrah
    Umesh
    Shami

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or
    Rahul
    Rohit
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Surya
    Pant
    Ashwin
    Shardul
    Bumrah
    Umesh
    Shami

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think india should leave jadeja and bring SKY to strengthen batting. And ashwin in place of rahane.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2-2 will be an extremely poor result for India. This is an English side that is still identifying the future. Bowing is reasonably in safe hands. Can't say the same about Batting. They have been collapsing against all teams for more than 2 or 3 years. Stokes provided some spark. But you cannot rely on magical performances for long periods.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So unofficial news out is that Bumrah to be rested, Rahane out. So in would come Shami and maybe Vihari.

If he bowls with a full sleeve and is an off-spinner, rest assured he chucks. Amen

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redmaverik84 View Post
    So unofficial news out is that Bumrah to be rested, Rahane out. So in would come Shami and maybe Vihari.
    India will lose if no bumrah

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait... Bumrah going to be rested when the series is in line and that too for IPL circus!!

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    2-2 will be an extremely poor result for India. This is an English side that is still identifying the future. Bowing is reasonably in safe hands. Can't say the same about Batting. They have been collapsing against all teams for more than 2 or 3 years. Stokes provided some spark. But you cannot rely on magical performances for long periods.
    Fair. It’s not so much a question of identifying the future side as understanding that the County setup does not produce test class batters any more.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WengerOut View Post
    Wait... Bumrah going to be rested when the series is in line and that too for IPL circus!!
    Why was this not mentioned when same was done for Shami last match?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bumrah won't be rested .

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Shami was not picked because of "resting",my argument remains the same. I am not able to follow cricket extensively these days, so i mightve missed Shami exclusion.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If Shami was not picked because of "resting",my argument remains the same. I am not able to follow cricket extensively these days, so i mightve missed Shami exclusion.
    Fast bowlers deserve the required rest, especially those who play all formats. It is not same rule as batsman. IPL is played by all, so why shouldn't pacers be not allowed to play it. They do the donkey work, no respect, no fame like top batsman , surely they are allowed to play everything which our batsman are allowed.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Fair. It’s not so much a question of identifying the future side as understanding that the County setup does not produce test class batters any more.
    Why not? Moreover this is a world wide phenomenon, T20's attract more participation and viewership.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    England's chances of winning will depend on anderson's availability

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For England they need to bring following changes:

- Buttler in for Bairstow
    - Leach in for Moeen
    - Wood in for Overton

The batting line would be curtailed but at the very least they can have an attacking spinner and a high pace bowler something England has lacked in the past tests.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    832 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ishant and Shami both had niggles before the 4th test.

“Two changes – Ishant [Sharma] and [Mohammed] Shami have niggles – Umesh [Yadav] and Shardul [Thakur] are back,” Kohli added. It is worth mentioning that a niggle is a minor injury or discomfort which prevents a player from being 100% fit for a match.

https://thesportsrush.com/cricket-ne...a-at-the-oval/

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a chalk and cheese comparison. Bowling 4 overs is different to bowling in a test match. Bumrah has already bowled enough this series and we need not break him down. Fast bowlers should be rotated in a 5 match test series anyway.

I would surely rest Bumrah and Siraj in next match.

Rohit
    Shaw
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Rahul
    Pant
    Jadeja
    Shardul
    Shami
    Umesh
    Ishant

The above team is good enough to beat England.

Ashwin unlucky to miss out again but Manchester is the last place you would play 2 spinners anyway.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope and Vote for India

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe Root confirms that Jos Buttler will return to England's team for the final Test as vice-captain and wicket-keeper. The choice is between Ollie Pope and Jonny Bairstow in the middle order. Root also says Moeen Ali remains the number one spinner

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so who will be out now? Pope or Bairstow?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    832 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Bairstow ofcourse.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Pope is their best batsman after Root...so he should stay.

I would change the tactics a bit, drop Rory Burns and open with Bairstow.

Bairstow
    Hameed
    Malan
    Root
    Pope
    Butler
    Moeen
    Woakes
    Robinson
    Wood
    Anderson

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Venue
    Queen of Arabian Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    Thats a chalk and cheese comparison. Bowling 4 overs is different to bowling in a test match. Bumrah has already bowled enough this series and we need not break him down. Fast bowlers should be rotated in a 5 match test series anyway.

Rohit
    Shaw
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Rahul
    Pant
    Jadeja
    Shardul
    Shami
    Umesh
    Ishant

Ashwin unlucky to miss out again but Manchester is the last place you would play 2 spinners anyway.
    This lineup will get annihilated for sure. Shami is needed but the rest are not good enough.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rohit
    Shaw
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Rahul
    Pant
    Jadeja
    Shardul
    Shami
    Umesh
    Ishant

Yeah great. After God knows how long, we finally find a competent opening pair so let's separate them and put one in the middle order for no reason whatsoever.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think Bumrah will be rested unless he has a serious injury concern. Maybe Siraj as he's looked toothless in the last 2 games.

Pretty sure Rahane would be dropped too. Kohli has finally scored close to 100 in a test match so he can drop the passenger without feeling any guilty conscience.

This will most probably be the XI..

Rohit
    Rahul
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Pant
    Vihari
    Jadeja
    Thakur
    Shami
    Umesh
    Bumrah

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Don't think Bumrah will be rested unless he has a serious injury concern. Maybe Siraj as he's looked toothless in the last 2 games.

Pretty sure Rahane would be dropped too. Kohli has finally scored close to 100 in a test match so he can drop the passenger without feeling any guilty conscience.

This will most probably be the XI..

Rohit
    Rahul
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Pant
    Vihari
    Jadeja
    Thakur
    Shami
    Umesh
    Bumrah
    Well the idea is to drop Rahane and seek a capable alternative..

But if the replacement is Vihari...we may continue with Rahane. Vihari looked a walking wicket in the county game and not sure if he can contribute any better at no.5

So we have 2 choice:

1) Continue with Rohit-Rahul at top and bat SKY at no.5.

2) Allow Shaw to partner with Rohit. Since Shaw can only play as an opener and Rahul already have middle order experience, bat Rahul at 5.

Another option can be...push Pujara to 5:

Rohit
    Shaw
    Rahul
    Kohli
    Pujara

But we know it wont happen after the innings he played in last test.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cloudy with a chance of some cricket?

Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-08 162613.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  75.3 KB

https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/ma...orecast/329260

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Pope is their best batsman after Root...so he should stay.

I would change the tactics a bit, drop Rory Burns and open with Bairstow.

Bairstow
    Hameed
    Malan
    Root
    Pope
    Butler
    Moeen
    Woakes
    Robinson
    Wood
    Anderson
    Bairstow is a white ball opener. The red Duke would clean him up sharp quick.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A proper Test series always used to be 5 Tests. Nowadays only the important countries get to play proper series.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rahul
    Rohit
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Pant
    Ashwin
    Jadeja
    Shardul
    Bumrah
    Umesh
    Shami
    Both Ashwin and Jadeja in the team only if the wicket seems like it will turn.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bumrah needs rest sometime... He won't be rested in the IPL.. Really worried about this guy. Hope he doesn't injure himself again.

Also India has so many batters enjoying nice vacation in England.... Shaw, Vihari, Abhi... SKY... Agarwal... Give them some work to do.

Ashwin can continue with his youtubing... Don't see him playing...

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Vihari perhaps deserves a chance (he can bowl some offspin also if needed). This would have happened if this was a dead rubber. But now I guess India will more or less go with the same team (at the most Shami in place of Siraj if he is fit)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Veteran India speedster Mohammed Shami has recovered from his niggles and is fit to play the final Test against England in Manchester, starting September 10. (More Cricket News)

Shami and fellow senior pacer Ishant Sharma were rested from the Oval Test that India won by 157 runs to take 2-1 lead in the five-match series as the duo was nursing niggles.

It is learnt that Shami had joined the team's training session on Wednesday, two days before the commencement of the final Test.

"Shami is fit. And when Shami is fit, he is an automatic choice," a senior BCCI official privy to the developments, told PTI.

Shami's fitness status will certainly help captain Virat Kohli and only available coach Vikram Rathour to mull on available options ahead of the fifth game.

As of now among the Indian bowlers, Bumrah is way ahead in terms of quantum of overs with 151 of them sent during the seven innings across four Tests which is effectively more than 21 overs per innings.

Bumrah has 18 wickets to his credit but with a T20 World Cup to play and before that an Indian Premier League where he has commitments towards Mumbai Indians, it will be interesting to see how his body holds up during the last five days of this long series.

India, who are again eyeing a series win in England after 14 years, would ideally want their best eleven to be on the park but at the same time also needs to be aware of the workload management of the pacers.

In case that Bumrah is rested, keeping in mind the next two months of continuous T20 cricket, then Shami will straightaway replace him.

But if Bumrah plays the last Test which he would want to as India need to close in on the series win, then Mohammed Siraj will have to make way as both Umesh Yadav (6 wickets in the game) an Shardul Thakur (two fifties and 3 wickets) can't be dropped.

According to many experts, Manchester is one of the venues, which despite it's pacer-friendly nature could provide some assistance for a second spinner in which case the till-now ignored Ravichandran Ashwin can fit in.

Rohit, Pujara fitness

The medical team is still assessing both the senior players Rohit (knee injury) and Cheteshwar Pujara (ankle) but it couldn't be ascertained whether they have partially or completely recovered.

It's learnt that Rohit is recovering well and chances of him being available are still bright but a decision would only be taken after medical team gives a go ahead.

If Rohit fails to get fit in time, the choice is between Abhimanyu Easwaran, Mayank Agarwal and Prithvi Shaw.

In case of Pujara's absence , it will be a two horse race between Hanuma Vihari and Suryakumar Yadav.

https://www.outlookindia.com/website...-pujara/393959

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont want rahane in final test. He is low on confidence and walking wicket right now. Kohli please drop him and select surya or ashwin in his place.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google saying it will be raining for the next five days. We know Manchester weather is not the best. India will be more then happy if the Test is heavily influenced by the weather.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    832 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Dont want rahane in final test. He is low on confidence and walking wicket right now. Kohli please drop him and select surya or ashwin in his place.
    Rahane has been low on confidence ever since he made his debut.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Both Ashwin and Jadeja in the team only if the wicket seems like it will turn.
    OT usually offers turn later on so I would play both spinners.

I hope England give Leach a go as Moeen is not contributing as I hoped he would.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More positive Covid tests...are these people thick?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doubtful this match will happen now with more covid positive cases. India might take the series 2-1.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    "We don't know if match will happen at the moment. Hopefully we can get some game," said Sourav Ganguly at the book launch of ’Mission Domination' in Kolkata.