"We can pick two more teams and win any competition in the world" : Hardik Pandya - Page 4

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hardik maybe right but one thing is for sure, he won't make either of the two teams as far as tests are concerned.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Hardik maybe right but one thing is for sure, he won't make either of the two teams as far as tests are concerned.
    Not in the other 2 formats either, he is useless and he has only himself to blame for this.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketerB94 View Post
    This thread was based on Pandya's comments about two more teams when he was on ODI tour. The thread got bumped after the WT20 after India's first team could not make it out of group stage. And then the Indians started chest thumping about their Australia series win while undermining world tournaments. So I don't know know is mixing up the formats here.
    Lol it's not chest thumping to say that T20 cricket is an interior format to Test cricket. You might disagree, but that's my opinion.

I don't remember people calling the South African team calling world beaters after winning those test series everywhere. But people acknowledge that great Aussie team or WI team, because they won the world tournaments. The Australian legacy or West Indian legacy cannot be compared to South African legacy.
    That South African team was not the same as the West Indian and Australian teams not because they failed in LOI tournaments, but because they didn't have a great home record. They toured very well but used to drop home series quite often to Australia and sometimes even England, which that great Windies or Australian teams rarely did. The fact that you don't remember that Saffer team being called great for their test legacy is down to you probably watching less test cricket, not a fault of that Saffer team. Of course, they were not comparable to the great Windies or Aus team even in Test cricket alone, but it's not a rule that you have to only be comparable to those two GOAT teams to be called great.

The thing is why should we compare and give players the option to win only a single trophy? I am hearing this only from Indian posters recently that if the players are given an option between so and so, then they will choose only so. Why not win both as both are important and the highest awards in the respective formats, but again I see Indian posters here mixing up the formats and compare one format's highest award with another. The Ashes is more about history and emotional involvement from fans, just like Indo-pak games. That is why we will see high level of preparations for these series. But you are delusional if you think that India in Australia or England is the same as The Ashes.

Yes, you are right but just forgot to add that they value every format. The LOI world tournaments are as important for them as test matches. They do not have this "desi" mentality of mixing up the formats and do these hypothetical comparisons about if we have choice between so and so, then we will give up so. They will give the same or more efforts for winning a LOI world tournament that they give in test matches everywhere.
    You have zero idea about what English of Australian fans care about in cricket. I have been a member of English and Australian cricket forums for as long as I have been a member here and there is a massive culture divide between them and cricket fans in the subcontinent. Of course, this doesn't mean they won't be happy if they won ICC tournaments or for that matter, it's not as if subcontinent cricket fans won't be happy if their teams succeed in Test cricket. But predominantly, Test cricket is the primary source of entertainment for Eng/Aus fans just like how LOI ICC tournaments is for desi fans. Both Eng and Aus fans care about Ashes more than any other cricket event, the Australian fans care about the ODI world cup and I've seen English fans who don't even care about the ODI world cup that much. Ashes > ODI WC > other marquee test series is how they'd rank the cricket events.

Of course, this might be difficult to understand for you but I don't blame you. I was similarly taken aback as well when I came across comments form Eng fans talking about the ODI WC in a dismissive fashion about a decade ago, but that is what many of them really feel about LOI format tbh, barring the ODI WC. There is a clear divide between Eng/Aus cricket fans and desi cricket fans in what they value and there's a reason why the stadiums tend to be filled predominantly by desi fans in T20 and ODI matches in England and Australia but the crowd for Test matches tend to be predominantly Eng and Aus fans. And yes, a home series with India ranks very high.

I'm not making these things up. Just visit an Australian forum, they won the WT20 *** but their fans were happy obviously, but the attention wasn't anywhere near to the attention they're giving to the Ashes. If say Pakistan had won the WT20, the country would have come to a standstill because world cups are very popular in our part of the world, but that's not the case there. Australia don't even care about T20Is and still they won the world cup.

Ahan, please enlighten me how many test matches Australia or England won against Pakistan in UAE? In test matches, a lot of team avail a full home advantage. Australia makes fast pitches, NZ makes green swing pitches, India makes spin wickets. Again in the bilaterals, it's a competition between 2 teams. In a world tournament, it's a competition between multiple good teams. I mean how hard is it to understand the obvious that the competition in a world tournament will be tougher. And no, I am not going to mix up the formats here, lets talk about the WTC final. 2 finalist teams, neutral venue, fair enough. And the world beater team in this format whose B team won the supposed 2nd most tougher series in Australia (the toughest one is supposedly their home series I think?) could not win against New Zealand in the most important match at a neutral venue? I'd like to write your words in bold now "A mediocre team might beat a top team in about 3/10 times in T20 cricket, but the top team will prevail 10/10 times in Test cricket because it's a longer struggle and the cream always rises to the top."
    England is a "neutral venue" in the same way Sri Lanka or Dubai would have been a 'neutral venue' if the final had happened there between India and NZ. It was obviously far similar to NZ home conditions, but NZ won fair and square. Btw, I said the better team would come on top in a Test "series", not a single Test, because Test cricket always happens in a series. Not hard to understand really.

Australia and England haven't won in the UAE because they aren't great in conditions assisting turn. But they nevertheless have defeated Pakistan in the past in their own homes. When has Pakistan won a series in Australia? If test cricket was so easy, Pakistan wouldn't have a 100% losing record in the last 25 years in Australia.

Langer has said a lot of things about winning in WT20, that does not mean that I start searching all those articles and quote them here. Everyone has seen their celebrations, the Australian fans celebrations and the appreciation the team got. I don't think that they will celebrate like that if they win a test series in India. I have not seen them celebrate like that even after winning an Ashes series. Because every world tournament in every format matters to them and they are not obsessed giving up their world tournament trophy to win a test series at a particular venue. I have not seen anyone saying these things other than the "desi" fans
    By all means please feel free to quote where Langer has said he rates WT20 as the highest achievement in cricket. It might be his best achievement as a coach, although I highly doubt it as well, retaining the Ashes in England would most definitely rank higher.

And no, you can't judge what's better by watching the "celebrations" of players. Players celebrate wildly after winning the IPL too, does it mean they value it higher than Test cricket. The nature of T20 cricket is such that emotions tend to overflow suddenly because it's an extremely short format whereas a Test series is long drawn out. Obviously you wouldn't have the sudden outbreak of emotions you'd have in a T20 match, doesn't mean they value it the most.

Debut
    Sep 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First win a competition then you can say that.

Haven't won anything yet keeps playing ugly shots, bowls pathetic medium pacer but has a mouth like no other.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arif_2021 View Post
    First win a competition then you can say that.

Haven't won anything yet keeps playing ugly shots, bowls pathetic medium pacer but has a mouth like no other.
    He has an aura though.