Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

The Ashes 2021/22 Discussion

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and the Professional Cricketers’ Association (PCA) have issued a joint statement regarding the proposed Men’s Ashes tour to Australia planned for winter 2021/22.

This week, several meetings have been held between the England Men’s players, ECB and Team England Player Partnership to discuss provisional plans for the tour of Australia later in the year.

All parties are collaborating and will continue to work together to understand protocols around bubble environments, family provision and quarantine rules that will be in place for the tour during the current COVID-19 pandemic.

With player and management’s welfare paramount, the ECB will discuss planning and operational requirements with Cricket Australia in the coming weeks and how they seek to implement their policies in partnership with state and federal governments.

All stakeholders are committed to putting player and staff welfare as the main priority and finding the right solutions that enables the England team to compete with the best players and at the highest possible standard that the Ashes series deserves.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In an ideal world the series would be postponed by a year, but given Cricket Australia's well-documented issues with Channel 7, there's no chance of the series not getting played this winter.

I foresee a disastrous tour for England, that will likely be marred by excuses of quarantine fatigue, player welfare, and rotation. England will send a bloated squad of 25-30 players with lots of first-team squad members 'rested' for a few matches on compassionate grounds, after many of those same players have played the IPL and the World T20. It's a cushy job for the England coaches and the ECB directors as they'll continue to use the virus as an excuse to not be accountable.

I won't be surprised if it's a 5-0 whitewash by Australia.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.skysports.com/cricket/ne...ayers-concerns

The Ashes are considered the pinnacle for English and Australian cricketers but is this winter's series in danger of being postponed due to player withdrawals?

Recent reports claim that some England players may be ready to pull out of the tour to Australia if their families are unable to travel with them, while there are also said to be concerns over the strict 14-day hotel room quarantine on arrival.

With the T20 World Cup ending just three weeks before the start of the first Ashes Test, England multi-format players could be away from their families for as long as four months if restrictions are not relaxed.

A joint statement from the England and Wales Cricket Board and the Professional Cricketers' Association last week confirmed the desire for the tour to go ahead but that a number of meetings had been held as they sought to resolve any issues.

Ali Martin, cricket correspondent at The Guardian, and former England player and coach David 'Bumble' Lloyd discussed the situation and whether the series actually is in doubt...

Postponement a possibility?

Martin: "Earlier in the summer, I never thought the Ashes wouldn't happen but I do think that has moved onto the table. I still think it is an outside chance but it is on the table because as much as we're talking about players going over and bringing family with them, it is not just a case of numbers and visas - at the moment, entry into Australia is capped - it's that 14-day hotel room quarantine which I think for people working in the media or the players themselves, they would be prepared to go through to do their job.

"But to ask families, particularly those with young children as well - I've got two young ones and the thought of being in one room with them for two weeks, I don't want to go there! I think that in itself is the prohibitive element and my understanding is that's where England are trying to get a relaxation.

"They will go into a bio-secure bubble and a bio-secure environment over there as a squad and will probably have access to training facilities and I believe that they are hoping to get their families over there and they're not just confined to their rooms. I'm sure they'll be double vaccinated, and they'll be testing as well but they will want the space to breathe there and not be confined. Otherwise, families won't go and actually, from speaking to quite a few of the players, some of them won't go either."

Changing attitudes

Martin: "That's the issue [with the T20 World Cup into The Ashes], it'll be four months on the road. Andrew Strauss has spoken about old-school attitudes and just getting out there and doing your job but I think the world has changed, it's certainly changed with the pandemic. But I think attitudes have changed and I'd be surprised if there was kickback on players who didn't want to go to The Ashes.

"At the same time, Joe Root, speaking on the eve of this Test match, did want to stress that The Ashes are the pinnacle, the players do want to be there but they also don't want to be away from their families for that amount of time, also when you factor in Christmas and young children as well."

'Too big to fail'

Martin: "I still think it will [go ahead], I almost think it is too big to fail at this point. I just think the concern is the strength of the England team that goes out. Particularly for Joe Root because it's very rare for an England captain to get two cracks at an away Ashes series and, rightly or wrongly, this is what they've been building towards. So if he was to lose some of his trusted lieutenants, that would be a real shame."

'Every sympathy' with the players

Lloyd: "Families were allowed out for a couple of weeks [in the 1975 Ashes] and that wouldn't be all the family, it would just be your partner. But this is totally different with the pandemic and all the restrictions that are there, I have every sympathy.

"The other thing is that you could mention eight or nine players who wouldn't go but then there are eight or nine players who would go and they would come up with a team of younger players. You'd think that would maybe be single chaps who would go but I've got every sympathy with the players who've got young families, who would be away during a worldwide pandemic, which is awful."

Choice between T20 World Cup and Ashes?

Martin: "I also wonder whether there would be a conversation with Eoin Morgan at some stage about multi-format players who would like to do The Ashes but they'd like that time at home during the T20 World Cup. England's strength is clearly in white-ball cricket and I think they'd be able to cover any absentees a lot easier in that format.

"But, at the same time, Eoin Morgan is trying to unite the 50-over title with its T20 equivalent for a real legacy moment for the white-ball culture and set-up that he's produced. Now that Ed Smith has left, it'll be down to Chris Silverwood to play King Solomon and decide who gets what."

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This particular edition of the Ashes should either be postponed or cancelled. I have no desire for our players to be in Australia at the moment. They should decline to travel.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be interesting to see if this tour is cancelled. Had England been touring Pak it would have been cancelled already. Now we will most likely be told that the situation in Australia isn't that bad or things are improving. Part of me hopes the tour goes ahead then England get smashed by Australia. After that Boris Johnson can put Australia on the red list too.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    England should just refuse to tour this year citing quarantine issues and hope to tour next year when Jofra is fit and firing.

Regardless of what happens in the India-England series, it's going to be a blood bath for the current England team if they have to bowl with ageing Anderson and Broad in Australia with the absence of Jofra. At the very least, England needs Wood to stay fit for the Ashes.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cricket Australia would be in dire straits if the tour is cancelled, there will be an almighty bloodbath at the organization if the ECB don't tour. There are only two possibilities: quarantine requirements for the English players are eased by one or two of the state governments, which allows the tour to proceed in a couple of states; or England sends a scratch side full of reserve players.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The England and Wales Cricket Board is "very confident" this winter's Ashes series will go ahead as planned despite ongoing negotiations over Covid travel restrictions, according to chief executive Tom Harrison.

England players are concerned about the possibility of families being unable to join them on the trip given Australia's tight border controls, as well as the prospect of lengthy quarantines and restrictive bubble environments.

Talks involving the Professional Cricketers' Association have been ongoing for some time and, while Harrison admitted there were plenty of complications before a final green light could be given, he suggested the necessary exemptions would be attained.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If the tour goes ahead, I fully expect Australia to smash the no-name Ollies and Crawlies that England will carry over.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    This particular edition of the Ashes should either be postponed or cancelled. I have no desire for our players to be in Australia at the moment. They should decline to travel.
    Because of Covid?

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Because of Covid?
    Not because of the actual virus. Moreso because of the incredibly complex politics which currently surround the virus in Australia.

A cricket team attempting to tour Australia for 4 months, not being able to let their hair down and enjoy themselves which is a big part of touring, instead being tested for Covid every day, potentially going through multiple quarantines and isolation periods for whichever reason(s), likely being in and out of snap lockdowns at the drop of a hat, not playing in front of crowds and (in contrast to the usual raucous Barmy Army support) likely to have few to no travelling fans of their own, and above all with the deep uncertainty over whether our lads will be able to see their families, wives, kids, parents etc all winter, in any meaningful capacity or at all — I honestly struggle to think of a more miserable experience that an England side could possibly go through.

I would strongly support a postponement of the tour, and would accept a cancellation of the tour as well.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England star Jos Buttler may skip Ashes series: My family has already sacrificed so much

England's wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler said he might skip the end-of-year Ashes tour over concerns about being apart from his family due to Australia's COVID-19 restrictions.

Jos Buttler said he might skip the end-of-year Ashes tour
    Buttler will miss remainder of IPL 2021 to be with wife for birth of 2nd child
    Australia has closed its borders in an effort to control COVID-19

England wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler hinted that he may pull out of the Ashes series later in the year amid concerns about how much time he will be away from his family due to Australia's Covid-19 restrictions. Notably, Buttler has pulled out of the remainder of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 because his wife is expecting their second child.

England will play the T20 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates in October and November before heading to Australia, likely keeping players who feature in both away from home for four months.

The proposed Australia tour is mired in difficulties that the ECB and Cricket Australia are trying to resolve, but unless the government in Canberra finds a way to permit English players to be joined by their wives and girlfriends.

"One of the challenges is working out where the line is where you say I can't do that," Buttler told The Times newspaper. "I've sacrificed a lot for cricket and my wife and family have sacrificed a lot.

"You have to be open to" saying no, he said. "It would be incredibly disappointing if some players feel like they can’t do it, but we're in a world at the moment where that is a possibility."

Australia has closed its borders in an effort to control COVID-19, with limited flights and 14-day mandatory managed isolation for returning citizens.

"COVID is incredibly challenging for everyone and Australia has a very strict policy in how they've tried to deal with it," Buttler said, adding that living for long periods in bio-bubbles was a further complication.

"Until we get more information about what it (the Australia tour) might look like, it's impossible to know what decision you're making."

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cri...932-2021-08-22

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not convinced with Foakes in bouncy conditions of Australia.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Ashes *will* happen. Do not underestimate the willingness of the two organizations - ECB and CA - to make it happen. These are two culturally close organizations with shared interests.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    England should just refuse to tour this year citing quarantine issues and hope to tour next year when Jofra is fit and firing.

Regardless of what happens in the India-England series, it's going to be a blood bath for the current England team if they have to bowl with ageing Anderson and Broad in Australia with the absence of Jofra. At the very least, England needs Wood to stay fit for the Ashes.
    Archer isn’t a test bowler, he’s an ODI bowler. Stone is the greater loss. The best attack available is Anderson-Wood-Robinson-Stokes-Leach.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Not because of the actual virus. Moreso because of the incredibly complex politics which currently surround the virus in Australia.

A cricket team attempting to tour Australia for 4 months, not being able to let their hair down and enjoy themselves which is a big part of touring, instead being tested for Covid every day, potentially going through multiple quarantines and isolation periods for whichever reason(s), likely being in and out of snap lockdowns at the drop of a hat, not playing in front of crowds and (in contrast to the usual raucous Barmy Army support) likely to have few to no travelling fans of their own, and above all with the deep uncertainty over whether our lads will be able to see their families, wives, kids, parents etc all winter, in any meaningful capacity or at all — I honestly struggle to think of a more miserable experience that an England side could possibly go through.

I would strongly support a postponement of the tour, and would accept a cancellation of the tour as well.
    How do you think this will impact on the England players touring Pakistan with the tight security measures on top of the covid restrictions.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    How do you think this will impact on the England players touring Pakistan with the tight security measures on top of the covid restrictions.
    The Pakistan tour is due to last a few days. The tour of Australia is due to last four months.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    England star Jos Buttler may skip Ashes series: My family has already sacrificed so much

England's wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler said he might skip the end-of-year Ashes tour over concerns about being apart from his family due to Australia's COVID-19 restrictions.

Jos Buttler said he might skip the end-of-year Ashes tour
    Buttler will miss remainder of IPL 2021 to be with wife for birth of 2nd child
    Australia has closed its borders in an effort to control COVID-19

England wicketkeeper-batsman Jos Buttler hinted that he may pull out of the Ashes series later in the year amid concerns about how much time he will be away from his family due to Australia's Covid-19 restrictions. Notably, Buttler has pulled out of the remainder of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 because his wife is expecting their second child.

England will play the T20 World Cup in the United Arab Emirates in October and November before heading to Australia, likely keeping players who feature in both away from home for four months.

The proposed Australia tour is mired in difficulties that the ECB and Cricket Australia are trying to resolve, but unless the government in Canberra finds a way to permit English players to be joined by their wives and girlfriends.

"One of the challenges is working out where the line is where you say I can't do that," Buttler told The Times newspaper. "I've sacrificed a lot for cricket and my wife and family have sacrificed a lot.

"You have to be open to" saying no, he said. "It would be incredibly disappointing if some players feel like they can’t do it, but we're in a world at the moment where that is a possibility."

Australia has closed its borders in an effort to control COVID-19, with limited flights and 14-day mandatory managed isolation for returning citizens.

"COVID is incredibly challenging for everyone and Australia has a very strict policy in how they've tried to deal with it," Buttler said, adding that living for long periods in bio-bubbles was a further complication.

"Until we get more information about what it (the Australia tour) might look like, it's impossible to know what decision you're making."

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cri...932-2021-08-22
    Good for Jos.

Hopefully more senior players will follow suit.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Jos has to do what is best for him and his family.

Not much time left for England to get a stable top seven together for the Ashes. If there is an Ashes.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting debacle isn't it...the ECB knew this could be a possibility months ago and CA could have offered some sort of compromise and yet we're just a couple months away and one top player has pulled out and one another is no indicating he may not travel.

The cynic in me believes it could be a way to negotiate higher pay for the tour for top players like Buttler and yet there is the very real issue of being away for about 3-4 months, with the added restrictions Covid calls for and not seeing family in that time.

However, these young men do get paid many times above the national average and claim to be serving their country and thus rewarded for their success in this representation. So is it really ok for them to whinge? Could they set aside the time they would have been on tour and help those young men who can no longer support their families due to covid? It would be an improvement to the whinging.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good for Jos.

Hopefully more senior players will follow suit.
    It will reduce the quality of the England team which will reduce the quality of the matches so even though its not good for cricket the rise of India can fill that void.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It will reduce the quality of the England team which will reduce the quality of the matches so even though its not good for cricket the rise of India can fill that void.
    Hopefully on this occasion there are no matches.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastimasti View Post
    This is an interesting debacle isn't it...the ECB knew this could be a possibility months ago and CA could have offered some sort of compromise and yet we're just a couple months away and one top player has pulled out and one another is no indicating he may not travel.

The cynic in me believes it could be a way to negotiate higher pay for the tour for top players like Buttler and yet there is the very real issue of being away for about 3-4 months, with the added restrictions Covid calls for and not seeing family in that time.

However, these young men do get paid many times above the national average and claim to be serving their country and thus rewarded for their success in this representation. So is it really ok for them to whinge? Could they set aside the time they would have been on tour and help those young men who can no longer support their families due to covid? It would be an improvement to the whinging.
    They are not whingeing, this time the complaints have a legitimate basis.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The quality of cricket will go up if they pick the much better Foakes.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Players’ health must come first.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If his heart isn't in it then no point in him touring.
    Far better to negotiate for family to be allowed to join bubble in AUS

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After Indian tour which was worth 300 Millions USD, this tour is worth around 200 Million USD.
    CA and ECB administrators will try their level best to make the tour happen.
    Situation is not good in Sydney and deteriorating pretty fast in Melbourne. Even if the tour happens,
    only Perth and Brisbane are capable of hosting matches. Adelaide is also an option.

The biggest issue will be the strict quarantine the English will be subjected too. I think they will have lot of second/third choice players playing some Test matches for Ashes. Great chance for some fringe English players.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did not care so much about health when they were making money in the IPL and The Hundred...

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They did not care so much about health when they were making money in the IPL and The Hundred...
    Neither the IPL or the Hundred involve four months spent away from their wives & children on the other side of the world, also with the majority of the time spent secluded individually in their hotel rooms.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neither the IPL or the Hundred involve four months spent away from their wives & children on the other side of the world, also with the majority of the time spent secluded individually in their hotel rooms.
    Well yes, Australian quarantine may be more strict, but the point still stands. Previously they would have been away from family for about 8 weeks if there had been a full IPL. The reality is, if this was T20 money, they may well have considered it. It is Test money so there are complaints.

But anyway, I do not want to sound too negative when it comes to this situation as it is still up in the air.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Up to 10 England players could pull out of the Ashes tour unless a compromise can be found over travel and quarantine arrangements for their families.

At a meeting of the England squad at Headingley this week, it is understood there was mounting frustration about a lack of progress by Cricket Australia over quarantine rules, with more players considering pulling out if their demands are not met.

There is a worry that Cricket Australia does not have enough influence over the Australian government and that individual states could slap a ban on travel or shut down a city at a moment’s notice, ripping up agreements made before the players left the UK

The Australia team recently experienced the fickleness of state governments when the South Australia authorities reneged on allowing the players to train outside during their quarantine at the Adelaide Oval on return from Bangladesh. Instead, players had to go through a hard quarantine, confined to their rooms.

CA said on Saturday it was working closely with government and health officials in seeking a solution.

“Cricket Australia continues to work closely with the ECB [England and Wales Cricket Board] and government authorities in Australia regarding the upcoming Ashes series, which will be the centrepiece for one of the biggest summers of cricket on record,” a statement read.

“We are currently planning the operational requirements of this tour and working with the ECB on the proposed make-up of the England touring party.

“As was the case last season, CA will work constructively and in partnership with government to deliver the summer of cricket, while ensuring the health, wellbeing and safety of the community.”

One key area of concern is that England players have been told families can travel to Australia on two flights either in early November, when the whole squad leave to go on tour, or on December 14.

The later date suits those who have school-age children, but it means their quarantine finishes at midnight on Christmas Eve, and they would have only a week before having to fly back for the start of term.

Cricket insiders understand England’s concerns, but it has been pointed out India’s players were last year given government approval to bring their families here, of which only one player did.

For many of England’s players it is the hard quarantine that is a major issue, with the England and Wales Cricket Board confident it will negotiate entry for families of players and support staff. But it is the nature of the quarantine that may mean several pull-out because they are tired of restrictive COVID-19 bubbles.

Australian players were without their families for much of last summer because of border restrictions, but CA is hopeful that won’t be the case this summer.

Having completed winter white-ball tours of the Caribbean and Bangladesh, Australia’s cricketers are now on leave or preparing for the domestic season. Several will soon return to hub life in the Indian Premier League, where 36 matches are still to be completed from September 19 in the United Arab Emirates after the season was halted in India in May because of a major COVID-19 outbreak. It’s then on to the Twenty20 World Cup, also in the UAE.

Confusion, however, surrounds much of England’s winter, with doubts rising over the trip to Pakistan in October following the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan and increasing tension in the region following the terrorist attack on Kabul airport this week.

The England men are due to play two Twenty20 internationals, on October 13 and 14, and the women two T20s and three ODIs between October 13 and 21.

The matches have already been shifted from Karachi to Rawalpindi, but their fate will depend on the results of a security report being compiled and advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Reg Dickason, the ECB’s security officer, has been in Pakistan this week checking on security arrangements, but the situation in Afghanistan is increasing unease among England players.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...28-p58mqn.html

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    can they do a 3 or 4 test ashes?

We saw Indian side play 4 tests, 3 odis, 3 t20is late last year.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Marnus Labuschagne admits England's concerns about travelling to Australia for this summer's Vodafone Ashes have merit, but the star batsman expects a resolution will ensure he confronts a full-strength opposition.

Australia's strict border policy is unlikely to be drastically eased by the end of this year, while interstate travel also remains clouded by COVID-19.

England wicketkeeper Jos Buttler has made it clear he would likely opt out of touring Australia if his family aren’t able to travel or are forced into hard quarantine, while captain Joe Root noted he is waiting for more information.

The issue has been bubbling away in recent months, during which Cricket Australia (CA) has been in talks with state and federal governments.

England superstar Ben Stokes has already taken an indefinite break from the sport, with CA and its English counterpart both worried about the impact of biosecurity bubbles on players' mental health.

Labuschagne couldn't recall discussing the issue with Root and veteran paceman Jimmy Anderson, whom he crossed paths with while playing county cricket this year.

But he understood the tourists' unease.

"The welfare of players and making sure families can come out here is important," Labuschagne said at the launch of Play Cricket month in Brisbane.

"You don't need to be a cricketer to recognise the importance of making sure the mental health of all players is in a good space.

"Especially with a Twenty20 World Cup followed by an Ashes, it's a really long four or five months.

"But I have no doubt, between the government and Cricket Australia, we'll be able to sort it out and get ourselves in a position where we can have a full-strength England against a full-strength Australia."

Injured spearhead Jofra Archer is already a confirmed omission for the series but Labuschagne, steeled for his first home Ashes series, is keen to lock horns with 39-year-old Anderson.

"Everyone out here wants to see Jimmy come to Australia," he said.

The future of coach Justin Langer was a topic of intense speculation in recent weeks, but players have seemingly agreed to move on, and Langer has received public support from CA CEO, Nick Hockley as well as Test skipper, Tim Paine.

Labuschagne, who has gone from strength to strength under Langer since being thrust into the 2019 Lord's Ashes Test as a concussion substitute, is looking to move on.

"It's been spoken about, that it comes to a head now. Conversations have been had, we can all move forward," he said.

Labuschagne remained upbeat that Australia's one-off Test against Afghanistan in Hobart will proceed as planned despite the recent political upheaval in that country.

It shapes as Australia's first Test since losing to India in January.

"We all want more Test cricket, Labuschagne said.

"That's not always possible."

Vodafone Men's Ashes v England

First Test: December 8-12, The Gabba

Second Test: December 16-20, Adelaide Oval

Third Test: December 26-30, MCG

Fourth Test: January 5-9, SCG

Fifth Test: January 14-18, Perth Stadium

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/marn...-19/2021-09-02

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshiarpurexpress View Post
    Agree. Lot of people trying to downplay them since they lost to India. This same team has blown away Pakistan and Sri Lanka.. and England will be blown away come the Ashes.
    Ah, beg pardon, thought the Sandpaper Scamps were still banned for that series. Not the worst Australia side ever then.

Believe it or not I think England have a decent chance, if they get Stokes back, with Wood and Stone flying in.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Ah, beg pardon, thought the Sandpaper Scamps were still banned for that series. Not the worst Australia side ever then.

Believe it or not I think England have a decent chance, if they get Stokes back, with Wood and Stone flying in.
    Need some batters apart from Root to handle Starc,Lyon, Hazelwood and Cummins. Even Root struggled last time.
    The Aussies are seething after India loss and will come down hard.
    I think England will have a tough time. I will be watching as a neutral and probably try to go for Boxing Day to MCG if crowds are allowed. Watched Cooks double live last time.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Need some batters apart from Root to handle Starc,Lyon, Hazelwood and Cummins. Even Root struggled last time.
    The Aussies are seething after India loss and will come down hard.
    I think England will have a tough time. I will be watching as a neutral and probably try to go for Boxing Day to MCG if crowds are allowed. Watched Cooks double live last time.
    Root has had a change of mental approach, become more selfish and the centuries are flowing. Also the top three are getting more starts, taking pressure off him.

We know what Stokes can do against Australia.

Burns and Malan have both hit centuries there.

It will be hard but I expect better than the 0-4 reverse of last time. As long as they pick a couple of quicks each test. Anderson could do well in the pink ball test. I would start with….

Burns
    Hameed
    Malan
    Root
    Stokes
    Pope
    Foakes
    Robinson (should do well with his height / bounce)
    Wood
    Stone or Mahmood
    Leach

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Root has had a change of mental approach, become more selfish and the centuries are flowing. Also the top three are getting more starts, taking pressure off him.

We know what Stokes can do against Australia.

Burns and Malan have both hit centuries there.

It will be hard but I expect better than the 0-4 reverse of last time. As long as they pick a couple of quicks each test. Anderson could do well in the pink ball test. I would start with….

Burns
    Hameed
    Malan
    Root
    Stokes
    Pope
    Foakes
    Robinson (should do well with his height / bounce)
    Wood
    Stone or Mahmood
    Leach
    Stokes looks unlikely to return for the Ashes, especially with the discussion of biosecure bubbles in Aus, heck even Buttler is raised his voice about such a long and secluded tour.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    England really just have one memorable Ashes campaign in Australia ever since I started watching cricket and it coincided with their golden era of KP, Cook, Trott, Bell, Anderson, Swann all being at their respective peaks.

Otherwise they find it hard to cope with Australia's ultra aggressive approach in Ashes especially when they play home. They come hard at the English who generally do not have the team to respond.

Unless Ben Stokes has a few crazy days again I don't see England doing much despite Aussies still being vulnerable.

Btw, I find it amusing that Australia are now suddenly seen as a home bully and a team full of offensive weapons now that an Ashes is coming up. When India beat them twice , people were declaring an emergency on Australian cricket weren't they? It's all nonsense. No major nation is easy to beat in their home even during their tough phase. It's just how cricket is. It takes an awful lot to beat a major cricket nation at their home in a 4-5 tests series. What India has achieved is special and people must acknowledge it

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Stokes looks unlikely to return for the Ashes, especially with the discussion of biosecure bubbles in Aus, heck even Buttler is raised his voice about such a long and secluded tour.
    It’s a point. With more names waiting to see who shows their hand.

Root might end up leading England C.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Stokes' presence will make little difference. Theres no bowling attack in England that can take 20 wickets consistently in Australia and that's assuming the injured bowlers are available.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    England really just have one memorable Ashes campaign in Australia ever since I started watching cricket and it coincided with their golden era of KP, Cook, Trott, Bell, Anderson, Swann all being at their respective peaks.

Otherwise they find it hard to cope with Australia's ultra aggressive approach in Ashes especially when they play home. They come hard at the English who generally do not have the team to respond.

Unless Ben Stokes has a few crazy days again I don't see England doing much despite Aussies still being vulnerable.

Btw, I find it amusing that Australia are now suddenly seen as a home bully and a team full of offensive weapons now that an Ashes is coming up. When India beat them twice , people were declaring an emergency on Australian cricket weren't they? It's all nonsense. No major nation is easy to beat in their home even during their tough phase. It's just how cricket is. It takes an awful lot to beat a major cricket nation at their home in a 4-5 tests series. What India has achieved is special and people must acknowledge it
    Trust me bhaijaan England will be in for a surprise if they think they can roll over Aussies like Indians did.
    Australia wants to teach some team a lesson after their Indian loss. England will be in that firing line.
    Expect Starc/Cummins/Hazlewood to go for blood with ultra aggressive approach and bouncing the English out.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    England is going to struggle, not because Australia are hurt etc. England will struggle as their batting is horrible. They aren't able to score at home on a flat wicket without Root's contribution, so they are going to struggle against the Aussie bowling line up. That will be their major problem. They also have sameness in their attack as we saw as soon as the pitch stopped offering assistance their bowling struggled to trouble the Indian batters at the Oval. Without Archer, Mark Wood probably will be the only bowler to trouble Aussies on the pitches India played in Australia earlier this year. Without a decent spinner like Ashwin/Jadeja, England will struggle to keep the Aussies in check.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My prediction (if we fulfil the tour) is 3-1 to the Aussies.

At the moment, I would generally expect England to lose an extended Test series against a decent team 3-1.

England have the world’s best batsman, and some other very talented but also unreliable players, so this unit will occasionally fire and win a Test — as they have this summer, and as they did in India — but unfortunately the team will often prove to be too inconsistent and too mentally fragile to win a big series.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    My prediction (if we fulfil the tour) is 3-1 to the Aussies.

At the moment, I would generally expect England to lose an extended Test series against a decent team 3-1.

England have the world’s best batsman, and some other very talented but also unreliable players, so this unit will occasionally fire and win a Test — as they have this summer, and as they did in India — but unfortunately the team will often prove to be too inconsistent and too mentally fragile to win a big series.
    England winning a test match in Australia is as likely as Pakistan beating India in a World Cup.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If England hard Archer, I could conceivably see how if he, Root & Stokes sparked excellent form then they could be competitive.

Without Archer I don't think they have the bowling. They lack a decent spinner & Root has no clue how to use a spinner even if they did. They won't get ideal swinging conditions often enough for their swing bowling to tilt the series their way. I just think they'll lack penetration in bowling this time around.

In home conditions I think they Oz bowling attack has them covered- Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Pattinson, Lyon will all be a threat.

Smith & Warner are usually good at home (Smith good everywhere) too.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Expecting some of England's players to drop out. Which will dilute the quality of the series.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aussies will role over.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Two largely dud teams. Cummins and Hazlewood (not starc) will be the point of difference along with home conditions.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

England Could Boycott Ashes Down Under Due To Strict Bubble Life: Report

Australia vs England: The English cricketers have been left disappointed because of ECB's refusal to even countenance a partial or even complete postponement of the Ashes tour.

Top English players could boycott the high-profile Ashes series against Australia starting at the end of this year as they don't want to be confined to their hotel rooms for close to four months due to strict quarantine rules in the country. According to ESPN Cricinfo, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) are still adamant and have not thought about postponement which has irked the senior players and support staff. "The prospect of England fielding a significantly under-strength squad in the Ashes would appear to have grown following talks between the team and officials at the ECB," the website reported.

The players have been left disappointed because of ECB's refusal to even countenance a partial or even complete postponement of the tour.

"As a result, they are considering their options. One of those options is understood to be the entire team - including coaching and support staff - taking a collective decision to boycott the tour.

"While the players appear, in general, fairly sanguine about the prospect of a two-week quarantine for themselves, they are reluctant to put their families through it. And with some players away for the best part of four months (the IPL being followed by the T20 World Cup and the Ashes), they are understandably reluctant not to see their families for the entire period," it stated.

The type of quarantine has also angered the English players.

England Could Boycott Ashes Down Under Due To Strict Bubble Life: ReportAustralia vs England: The English cricketers have been left disappointed because of ECB's refusal to even countenance a partial or even complete postponement of the Ashes tour.

England Could Boycott Ashes Down Under Due To Strict Bubble Life: Report
    Senior England cricketers could boycott the Ashes due to strict protocols and packed schedule.© AFP
    Highlights
    Senior England cricketers could reportedly boycott the upcoming AshesIt is reportedly due to the strict quarantine protocols in AustraliaIt is also reportedly due to a packed cricket schedule.
    Top English players could boycott the high-profile Ashes series against Australia starting at the end of this year as they don't want to be confined to their hotel rooms for close to four months due to strict quarantine rules in the country. According to ESPN Cricinfo, the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) are still adamant and have not thought about postponement which has irked the senior players and support staff. "The prospect of England fielding a significantly under-strength squad in the Ashes would appear to have grown following talks between the team and officials at the ECB," the website reported.

The players have been left disappointed because of ECB's refusal to even countenance a partial or even complete postponement of the tour.

"As a result, they are considering their options. One of those options is understood to be the entire team - including coaching and support staff - taking a collective decision to boycott the tour.

"While the players appear, in general, fairly sanguine about the prospect of a two-week quarantine for themselves, they are reluctant to put their families through it. And with some players away for the best part of four months (the IPL being followed by the T20 World Cup and the Ashes), they are understandably reluctant not to see their families for the entire period," it stated.

The type of quarantine has also angered the English players.

"The nature of the quarantine is also understood to have disappointed the players. Although there has been talk of allowing them the use of a resort hotel on the Gold Coast, it is now understood they are likely to be permitted only two or three hours out of their hotel rooms each day for training.

"There is also a possibility the squad will be obliged to remain in some sort of 'bubble' throughout the tour to avoid difficulties in moving between states. Families, meanwhile, could still be required to undergo a 'hard' quarantine involving 14 days in a hotel room," it also reported.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/engl...report-2542285

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1039 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    sports ndtv.....

interesting. I searched on this article and its just indian websites with poor sources posting this news.

when the actual news posted by proper source is that England could field an understrength squad.

Indians trying ways to justify what they did
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 16th September 2021 at 23:52.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    It's actually just Indian propaganda.

The author doesn't realise that the different states in Australia have completely different Covid policies, as follows:

1. New South Wales lost control of Covid by delaying lockdown too late. They are currently in lockdown but will be out by the time they reach 80% double vaccination in mid-October. They will host at least 1 Test and anything up to 3, with stadium access dependent upon presentation of the Service NSW app to prove vaccination status.

2. Victoria lost control by trying to race NSW out of lockdown. They too will be in a similar position, but around 4 weeks later.

3. South Australia is behind in vaccination but has a conservative government, and they will be open too.

4. Queensland and Western Australia are in a different position. They have the world's number 3 and number 1 economies respectively, and death rates around 200 times lower than the UK. They will not just open up on vaccination levels alone, because they are very aware that, for example, today the UK finds that compared with 365 days ago (when there was no vaccine) the UK EVERY DAY has

i) More daily cases than 1 year ago.
    ii) More daily hospitalisations than 1 year ago.
    iii) More daily deaths than 1 year ago.

In effect, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide are adopting the "vaccination-only" model which has failed so badly in the UK, Singapore and Israel. Those 3 cities will almost certainly host The Ashes.

Brisbane and Perth have functioned at a much more successful level throughout the pandemic, in terms of maintaining normal everyday life but also 2 of the world's 3 strongest economies and the world's best two Covid mortality and infection rates. It is pretty much unthinkable that they will allow The Ashes to proceed without strict bubble conditions, and their Tests are likely to be moved to Canberra and Sydney.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    sports ndtv.....

interesting. I searched on this article and its just indian websites with poor sources posting this news.

when the actual news posted by proper source is that England could field an understrength squad.

Indians trying ways to justify what they did
    lol. Your google searching skills are very poor then.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...15-p58rwa.html

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...26e5cf4a94a6c4

Plenty of information and discussion about the speculation of tour not happening.
    May as well happen, but sure do not trust and Indian source.
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 16th September 2021 at 23:51.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    It's ironic, if you think about it, just how little insight the British have into the contempt and ridicule that the rest of the world has for their current Covid non-performance.

But even in the world of sport you can see it.

Within FOUR DAYS:

1. The Brazil v Argentina World Cup Qualifier was abandoned when the health authorities took to the field to arrest and deport 4 players who had been in the UK and failed to observe quarantine. The UK is one of just four countries in the world that Brazil - Brazil! - considers to have an out-of-control Covid emergency.

2. India pulled out of the Old Trafford Test, citing an out-of-control Covid situation.

People like Michael Vaughan have a lot to say about restrictions in Australia. They seem not to realise that the UK is viewed by more successful countries as a Covid basketcase. They seem unaware that their own much-vaunted vaccination program lags Chile and Uruguay and has only just overtaken Outer Mongolia.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    It's actually just Indian propaganda.

The author doesn't realise that the different states in Australia have completely different Covid policies, as follows:

1. New South Wales lost control of Covid by delaying lockdown too late. They are currently in lockdown but will be out by the time they reach 80% double vaccination in mid-October. They will host at least 1 Test and anything up to 3, with stadium access dependent upon presentation of the Service NSW app to prove vaccination status.

2. Victoria lost control by trying to race NSW out of lockdown. They too will be in a similar position, but around 4 weeks later.

3. South Australia is behind in vaccination but has a conservative government, and they will be open too.

4. Queensland and Western Australia are in a different position. They have the world's number 3 and number 1 economies respectively, and death rates around 200 times lower than the UK. They will not just open up on vaccination levels alone, because they are very aware that, for example, today the UK finds that compared with 365 days ago (when there was no vaccine) the UK EVERY DAY has

i) More daily cases than 1 year ago.
    ii) More daily hospitalisations than 1 year ago.
    iii) More daily deaths than 1 year ago.

In effect, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide are adopting the "vaccination-only" model which has failed so badly in the UK, Singapore and Israel. Those 3 cities will almost certainly host The Ashes.

Brisbane and Perth have functioned at a much more successful level throughout the pandemic, in terms of maintaining normal everyday life but also 2 of the world's 3 strongest economies and the world's best two Covid mortality and infection rates. It is pretty much unthinkable that they will allow The Ashes to proceed without strict bubble conditions, and their Tests are likely to be moved to Canberra and Sydney.
    I live in Melbourne actually. So I know exactly what is happening within Australia and where.
    Even Canberra is still in lockdown and McGowan is not opening up Perth. Do you thing he will really ease the conditions for English contingent. You were singing completely different tunes when Indians were touring and conditions were pretty relaxed and COVID was under control, in fact in much better shape then current scenario.
    I specifically remember that you said that the Indian tour will be cancelled back then ? Why is it different now when situation across Sydney and Melbourne is much worse this time as compared to Dec 2020 and Jan 2021?

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    lol. Your google searching skills are very poor then.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cric...15-p58rwa.html

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...26e5cf4a94a6c4

Plenty of information and discussion about the speculation of tour not happening.
    May as well happen, but sure do not trust and Indian source.
    As I wrote, the speculation generally comes from people unfamiliar with the fact that individual Australian states set the internal borders and quarantine rules, and enough of them have lost control of Covid that they are likely to lower their standards to the levels that the English players expect and demand.

Brisbane and Perth won't lower their standards to the levels that the English demand, but Sydney and Melbourne definitely will and Adelaide probably will.
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 16th September 2021 at 23:52.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I wrote, the speculation generally comes from people unfamiliar with the fact that individual Australian states set the internal borders and quarantine rules, and enough of them have lost control of Covid that they are likely to lower their standards to the levels that the English players expect and demand.

Brisbane and Perth won't lower their standards to the levels that the English demand, but Sydney and Melbourne definitely will and Adelaide probably will.
    Wait so Sydney with 1400+ cases today would lower the standards. Melbourne I think Dan Andrews would be more stricter. Liberal states cannot say they can do anything for money tbh.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Major another simple google search also shows this.

Fears rise for Ashes after India refuse to play fifth Test
    Tim Paine and his side might be keen, but India abandoning the fifth Test in England highlights real concerns for the Ashes

By PETER LALOR

An Australian Source especially for you since you will not trust and Indian source, which I understand.
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/search-results?q=ashes

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Wait so Sydney with 1400+ cases today would lower the standards. Melbourne I think Dan Andrews would be more stricter. Liberal states cannot say they can do anything for money tbh.
    I don't think that any state - with the possible exception of Western Australia, would contemplate continuing with strict border closures and quarantine rules for any longer than they have to.

It's true that life remains normal in WA and Queensland apart from cross-border travel. But just as NSW seeded the Victorian and ACT outbreaks, it's just a matter of time before Queensland suffers the same fate.

That means there are short-term hard border closures while vaccination levels rise. But even Queensland will reach 80% double vaccination by the time The Ashes starts and I think that even Brisbane might host a Test.

And I think we may see the English WAGs just arrive for the Melbourne and Sydney parts of the tour.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    The NSW Premier has made it very clear that she is going to lower her standards as soon as both 70% and 80% vaccination levels are reached in terms of:

1. Breaching the Doherty model by reopening bars and restaurants and stadia and cinemas to vaccinated people even when case numbers remain high.

2. Breaching the Doherty model by allowing home quarantine - the honour system which failed everywhere in the world due to non-compliance - even when case numbers remain high.

3. Breaching the Doherty model by permitting international travel when case numbers remain high.

The bin chicken has already reopened the beaches. She is now embarked upon a high-risk strategy, of giving up on virus spread and trying to contain serious illness by vaccination alone once vaccination levels rise.

There is every reason to think that she will lower her standards down to British levels, and let the England team do whatever they want to do.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I live in Melbourne actually. So I know exactly what is happening within Australia and where.
    Even Canberra is still in lockdown and McGowan is not opening up Perth. Do you thing he will really ease the conditions for English contingent. You were singing completely different tunes when Indians were touring and conditions were pretty relaxed and COVID was under control, in fact in much better shape then current scenario.
    I specifically remember that you said that the Indian tour will be cancelled back then ? Why is it different now when situation across Sydney and Melbourne is much worse this time as compared to Dec 2020 and Jan 2021?
    If you read my comments in this thread, I am more dismissive of my own country - England - than I am of India.

I would have supported India in refusing to tour England this summer due to the appallingly lax national standards and cricket standards of Covid safety.

My objection is that they waited to do so until they took a 2-1 lead. Even if they had done so before the final day of the Fourth Test when 3 Indians tested positive I would still have supported them.

I'm not actually rabidly anti-India. I don't like the BCCI, but I have far more respect for the nation of India than the nation of Pakistan!

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cancelled Test causes cold sweats: cricket stretched to breaking point on Ashes eve

“I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread.”

That was Bilbo Baggins describing the cumulative effect of hanging onto the titular object in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. He might just as easily have been talking about the increasingly tenuous patchwork of international cricket in the time of COVID-19.

The cancellation of the Old Trafford Test between England and India, against a backdrop of COVID cases in the touring party a matter of days before the start of the second instalment of the IPL, spoke incredibly loudly. This is a system that, under the additional strain of a global pandemic and effects now almost two years in duration, is starting to crack up for even its wealthiest members.

Before COVID, it was the likes of the West Indies, South Africa, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka who customarily had to deal with issues like players retiring early, series being postponed or cancelled. In 2021, however, not even the Boards of India, England and Australia have total control over their spheres of influence.

Late last year, England’s players were the first to mount their own sort of protest, abandoning a tour of South Africa due to COVID cases inside what passed for the biosecure “bubble”. Next, Australia witnessed a mass pullout of players from a mid-year tour of the West Indies and Bangladesh.

When the first leg was interrupted by a positive test result for a West Indian team staffer, there was plenty of discussion among Australian players and team management about whether the second leg to Dhaka would be fulfilled.

Now even India, for all their wealth the most widely travelled and silently compliant group of cricketers in the global game, have dropped out of an obligation they were contracted to fulfil.

The federal government’s vaccination rollout has taken place with all the speed and vitality of Mike Gatting in the field on his last Ashes tour in 1994-95.

It is true that the BCCI had flagged a reluctance to go through with a full five-Test schedule in England and push up so close to the rest of the IPL. But the inability of its leaders Sourav Ganguly and Jay Shah to broker a last-moment solution provided cold sweats for cricket administrators all over the globe.

Most troubled were Cricket Australia’s chief executive Nick Hockley and chair Earl Eddings. They are grappling with how to ensure England’s tourists get enough concessions to allow a strong team to tour for the Ashes summer.

Ultimately, the ECB’s chiefs Tom Harrison and Ian Watmore are relying on the good faith and word of their opposite numbers Hockley and Eddings to deliver the CA side of the Ashes bargain. For decades, that was enough. But in the wake of the Old Trafford fiasco, not even those sorts of assurances hold all the water required.

England and India, as a consequence of having toured so much over the past two years, attempted to play across the northern summer without anything like the biosecurity strictness observed in Australia last season. But even as vaccinations came into play, flare-ups created issues, first requiring England’s need to substitute a full white ball squad against Pakistan, then hastening the Manchester cancellation.

Many have pointed the finger at India’s relaxed interpretation of these conditions. Even so, Harrison’s reported presence at Ravi Shastri’s much-criticised book launch rather underlined how both boards had tried to move on from COVID avoidance to COVID management.

That, though, runs headlong into trouble as far as the Ashes are concerned. While Australia’s cricketers (male and female) have been starved of chances to play over the past 18 months, the nation’s six states and two territories have been living out an exercise in seeing how far the federation might stretch before it breaks.

Closed borders, 14-day quarantine periods and myopic populism have been the main outcomes arising from each state having its own health system, for which the Prime Minister Scott Morrison merely hands over the money to pay for. At the same time, the federal government’s vaccination rollout has taken place with all the speed and vitality of Mike Gatting in the field on his last Ashes tour in 1994-95.

As a measure of how capricious things are, take this example. CA gained clearance for New South Wales and Victoria-based members of the women’s team to quarantine in Brisbane ahead of their series against India.

However, CA and Cricket NSW have been unable to get equivalent clearance for the Blues’ Sheffield Shield squad to fly to Howard Springs in the Northern Territory to do likewise, thus holding up the entry of both NSW and Victoria into domestic competitions. The two largest states may now be left with no option but to play each other over multiple fixtures before the Big Bash League.

England’s players, meanwhile, have demanded resort-style quarantine ahead of the Ashes, plus ways to ensure maximum time with their families on tour. Such measures are in keeping with the more liberal COVID approaches pursued by the ECB this year.

Even then, there will be some players likely to take the same decision as India’s late last week: in the circumstances, it’s better not to take the field at all. So much bread, so little butter.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...12-p58qww.html

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So English cricketers want resort like treatment, and relaxed conditions. Any chance they can be put on Christmas Island in Australia? @Junaids, @cricketjoshila, @Napa, @Itachi, @Rajdeep @Mesozoic

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you read my comments in this thread, I am more dismissive of my own country - England - than I am of India.

I would have supported India in refusing to tour England this summer due to the appallingly lax national standards and cricket standards of Covid safety.

My objection is that they waited to do so until they took a 2-1 lead. Even if they had done so before the final day of the Fourth Test when 3 Indians tested positive I would still have supported them.

I'm not actually rabidly anti-India. I don't like the BCCI, but I have far more respect for the nation of India than the nation of Pakistan!
    They did not wait. It just happened that COVID hit them close and they were worried about their health.
    If it was not the physio who had so much close contact with players, I do not think Virat and Rohit will give up so easily on Test Cricket. Virat is the poster boy for Test Cricket and it is well known fact.
    If it was some manager or someone else in coaching staff, they still would have continued. On top of that,
    no Physio for 5 days of Test match. You cannot continue like that.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I could program a bubble-free Ashes now, with minimal risk.

Tests at:

Sydney
    Melbourne
    Adelaide
    Newcastle
    Canberra

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England don't want to humiliated 4th time in a single year. Twice they lost a series to india ( Home or away) ,NZ at home ,now most likely they will lose The Ashes.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, I hope the tour happens. We will need the test series after the IPL and T20 world cup tamasha.

Can they schedule the series in such a way that it doesn't take 4 months? I mean, it's 5 tests (25 playing days) and with 4 days of rest in between each test, the series should be manageable in 2 months, no?

Also, if the rules can be relaxed a little, like if the players can roam around the hotel, lounge, play golf etc. it could help their families cope with the bubble.

Maybe England can select only players who don't play the IPL and T20 WC (Root, Jimmy Anderson, Broad, Robinson, Burns, Hameed, Pope, Woakes, Mark Wood, Stokes etc), so that their overall bubble life is shorter.

Also, NDTV don't do BCCI's or Indian propaganda. They are generally considered anti-government in India. So if they are reporting that there are some reservations among England players about the Ashes tour, maybe there could be some truth to it. But I hope the two boards (Eng and Aus) can sort this out soon.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I repeat.

The English players and Indian media don’t understand that the rules vary from state to state in Australia.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I repeat.

The English players and Indian media don’t understand that the rules vary from state to state in Australia.
    Yes like you said Williamson playing at hard hand that's why his catch can't carry in slips. You're genius .

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devadwal View Post
    Yes like you said Williamson playing at hard hand that's why his catch can't carry in slips. You're genius .
    Supergenius actually, like Wile E Coyote!

It’s just a fact.

Western Australia and Queensland have much higher and stricter standards than the result of Australia in terms of Covid, and that will lead to fewer freedoms for the tourists there because that has been the price paid for the locals to keep their freedoms.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Supergenius actually, like Wile E Coyote!

It’s just a fact.

Western Australia and Queensland have much higher and stricter standards than the result of Australia in terms of Covid, and that will lead to fewer freedoms for the tourists there because that has been the price paid for the locals to keep their freedoms.
    England Player's want to take their family with them and some relaxation in bio secure bubble .These are valid demands

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think the Indian media assume that CA is as powerful as the BCCI and can just bulldoze even government levels to get what it wants done. CA can't do that.

I don't think there has been a sport played _without_ bubble restrictions in Oz since Covid.

The public in Sydney are over the restrictions to the point of widespread non compliance. I think Gladys will stick to her opening up at 70/80% policy because she need a way out- she's going to look completely powerless if she tries to lockdown over summer and everyone just ignores her. Sydney is one of the most entitled & least compliant cities in Oz.

Dan Andrews in Melbourne is more likely to be the one to stick to his guns and keep very tight controls.

Qld has been willing and able to work with a range of sports to get games happening during covid, with protocols acceptable to both. They might well be able to do the same for the Ashes.

The problem is a logistical one- as you point out @Junaids very difficult to plan a tour when you have to negotiate individually with every state requirements and you will almost certainly not have the same rules and freedoms/restrictions for each leg.

Very, very hard to organise that within the timeframe, in an evolving pandemic situation.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    I think the Indian media assume that CA is as powerful as the BCCI and can just bulldoze even government levels to get what it wants done. CA can't do that.

I don't think there has been a sport played _without_ bubble restrictions in Oz since Covid.

The public in Sydney are over the restrictions to the point of widespread non compliance. I think Gladys will stick to her opening up at 70/80% policy because she need a way out- she's going to look completely powerless if she tries to lockdown over summer and everyone just ignores her. Sydney is one of the most entitled & least compliant cities in Oz.

Dan Andrews in Melbourne is more likely to be the one to stick to his guns and keep very tight controls.

Qld has been willing and able to work with a range of sports to get games happening during covid, with protocols acceptable to both. They might well be able to do the same for the Ashes.

The problem is a logistical one- as you point out @Junaids very difficult to plan a tour when you have to negotiate individually with every state requirements and you will almost certainly not have the same rules and freedoms/restrictions for each leg.

Very, very hard to organise that within the timeframe, in an evolving pandemic situation.
    Very good post!

As you say, the bin chicken has nowhere else to go apart from opening up rapidly as vaccination levels rise.

You and I both know that the result will be universal spread and significant numbers of deaths - I'm guessing around 20 per day, in direct proportion to the UK now. But that period in which she and ScoMo were egging each other on not to rush into lockdown has had the results we all expected - she lost control of virus spread.

So I think NSW will be selling itself as "open for business" by early November. And the "worst case" scenario for cricket is actually rather a nice one - multiple Tests in NSW.

I'd love to see a Test at North Sydney Oval. And you could actually play one at Coffs Harbour and Newcastle too just as easily as at Dunedin or Napier.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post

Laughably misinformed post.

BCCI couldn't even hold IPL in India when government decided they couldn't spare police for security owing to elections.

Could you tell me one instance where BCCI steamrolled the government to have its way? I'll wait.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am here for any and all conflicts that happen between Big 3 boards. And if anything, I welcome them wholeheartedly with a bowl of popcorn in hand.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmaji View Post
    Oh no, I hope the tour happens. We will need the test series after the IPL and T20 world cup tamasha.

Can they schedule the series in such a way that it doesn't take 4 months? I mean, it's 5 tests (25 playing days) and with 4 days of rest in between each test, the series should be manageable in 2 months, no?

Also, if the rules can be relaxed a little, like if the players can roam around the hotel, lounge, play golf etc. it could help their families cope with the bubble.

Maybe England can select only players who don't play the IPL and T20 WC (Root, Jimmy Anderson, Broad, Robinson, Burns, Hameed, Pope, Woakes, Mark Wood, Stokes etc), so that their overall bubble life is shorter.

Also, NDTV don't do BCCI's or Indian propaganda. They are generally considered anti-government in India. So if they are reporting that there are some reservations among England players about the Ashes tour, maybe there could be some truth to it. But I hope the two boards (Eng and Aus) can sort this out soon.
    BCCI is not government lol
    and
    BCCI happens to be fav punching bag for every media house

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    Laughably misinformed post.

BCCI couldn't even hold IPL in India when government decided they couldn't spare police for security owing to elections.

Could you tell me one instance where BCCI steamrolled the government to have its way? I'll wait.
    None.
    There are lots of organisations far more powerful than BCCI and yet they cannot steamroll GOI.
    Who really comes out with such far-fetched scenarios?

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    england just looking for excuses not to go to Australia and get smashed as usual.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Postponing the tour until next winter seems like the sensible option at the moment.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Postponing the tour until next winter seems like the sensible option at the moment.
    Why?

At least 3 states are almost certain to allow the English players and families to enter and to quarantine at a luxury resort, then mingle freely anywhere so long as the people aged over 12 are double-vaccinated.

That won't be any different next year. The only difference is that a year later Brisbane and Perth will allow the same thing. But this year's series can easily replace Brisbane and Perth with Canberra and Newcastle.

It's very clear that in Australia and New Zealand, any freedoms are going to be conditional upon double Covid vaccination, and that will still be the same in 2031.

The only possible benefit to touring next year is that Jofra Archer might be fit.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Cricket Australia is expecting this summer’s Ashes to go ahead against a near full-strength opponent amid concerns of a boycott by England’s players due to the Australian government’s quarantine measures.

The next week is shaping as vital for England’s cricketers as they sweat on the finer points of a briefing from CA over biosecurity conditions in Australia.

CA chief Nick Hockley has been given no indication from his England and Wales Cricket Board counterpart Tom Harrison that a depleted squad will be sent over this summer, nor of any intention to change the schedule that was finalised four months ago.

Though not expecting mass withdrawals, CA accepts the possibility some players will pull out on personal grounds, having had several Australian stars not tour the West Indies and Bangladesh for similar reasons.

There is a view within some quarters the Ashes has become collateral damage in a dispute between the ECB and its weary players, who are reluctant to put their families through two weeks of quarantine in Australia even if it means months apart from loved ones.

The different experiences of the pandemic in Australia and the UK form the backdrop to the challenges confronting CA. With its rapid vaccine rollout, life in the UK is back to normal after a traumatic 2020, so the prospect of players spending months in biosecurity bubbles is a concern for Joe Root’s men.

There are reports of disquiet among England players, who asked the ECB to raise with CA the prospect of a split series to be started this summer and concluding in 2022/23, and a totally postponed series pushed back 12 months.

The cricinfo website also reported players and the coaching and support staff, disappointed a postponement was not raised by the ECB, are considering boycotting the tour, though a source in the UK with knowledge of the broader issue has cast doubt over such action being taken.

After enduring lengthy stints in bubbles over the pandemic, England players are dreading the possibility of being limited to their rooms for long periods in Australia.

The withdrawals of Jonny Bairstow, Chris Woakes and Dawid Malan from the Indian Premier League were seen by some as not boding well for the Ashes but Woakes has said his withdrawal was designed to give him every chance of success in Australia.

Hockley and Harrison remain in regular contact to over the future of the series.

“Cricket Australia continues to work closely with the ECB and government authorities in Australia regarding the upcoming Ashes series, which will be the centrepiece for one of the biggest summers of cricket on record,” CA said in a statement.

“We are currently planning the operational requirements of this tour and working with the ECB on the proposed make-up of the England touring party.

“As was the case last season, CA will work constructively and in partnership with government to deliver the summer of cricket, while ensuring the health, wellbeing and safety of the community.”

While Australia’s off-season program this year was limited to back-to-back white-ball series in the Caribbean and Bangladesh after the postponement of the Tests in South Africa, England’s men have played 33 games across all formats, with tours to Sri Lanka and India from January to March followed by a busy home season.

They are also due to play a Twenty20 series in Pakistan next month leading into the World Cup before flying to Australia for the Ashes.

Under CA protocols for both sides, players will be under level three measures in “clean” COVID cities Brisbane and Adelaide, which allows for reasonable freedoms such as eating outdoors, outdoor exercise and golf.

Restrictions could be stepped up in Melbourne and Sydney, currently locked down to curb outbreaks, to level five, similar to measures for last season’s Gabba Test which was played under quarantine environment with players able to leave the team hotel only to train and play.

This would give CA the best chance of satisfying Western Australia’s hardline protocols to take the series out west, though there is talk that if a Test was to be moved it would be Perth’s.

CA, however, is optimistic vaccination will enable less stringent conditions this summer.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...16-p58s8x.html