Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    ECB should just get Boris to make a decision that Australia is unsafe to travel to. Just site that security intelligence have formulated that england are likely to be humilated 4 or 5 nil so best to avoid that situation.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Could be an opportunity for NZ to tour instead of England, if the England players are too tired and dont want to travel to Australia the NZ team would probably make a great option being the world test champions.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    England pace bowler Stuart Broad insists he will go on the Ashes tour of Australia this winter despite concerns over coronavirus restrictions.

The England and Wales Cricket Board are "very confident" the Ashes series will go ahead as planned amid Australia's tight border controls.

The prospect of lengthy Covid-related quarantines and restrictive bubble environments makes the tour less appealing than in the pre-pandemic era.

The ECB are also set to make a decision about whether to press ahead with next month's scheduled tour to Pakistan for back-to-back Twenty20 double-headers for both the men's and women's sides on October 13 and 14 in Rawalpindi.

England's first planned international visit to Pakistan since 2005 has been plunged into doubt after New Zealand abruptly abandoned their tour of the country because of a "security alert" from their government.

But Broad, 35, is "working tirelessly" to be included in the travelling party for the Australia series, which starts in December.

"It is now just a couple of weeks away from a squad being selected but players can't sign up to something unless they know what they are signing up for," Broad wrote in the Mail on Sunday.

"If you ask me if I would be happy to get on a plane to Australia in November, I would say yes. I am working tirelessly to get there. I don't feel there will be a postponement.

"In my mind, it is 100 per cent clear that an England team of some description will embark on the tour. But if another player called me and told me they couldn't commit, I would totally accept it.

"Everyone has to make their own decision and Ashley Giles, England's director of cricket, has made it clear a player's chances of selection in the future will not be harmed."

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...concerns-mount

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    England seem very chaotic both on-field and off the field.

Aussies should win it 5-0.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashes Series on Edge – Cricket Diplomacy Starts

he very high profile Ashes Series is on edge. England cricketers are not ready to travel to UK if their families are not allowed to travel or the similar quarantine norms doesn’t get applied to their near & dear ones. With series on line, now UK Primer Minister Boris Johnson has requested Australian prime minister to relax the quarantine norms and give permission to travel to the families of the players. Australian PM in turn has promised to come back with a solution.
    Several England stars are taking hard stand over the trip. Reason, they doesn’t want to be away from their families for up to three months.

If Australia does not relax its Covid travel rules, some of the touring party would not see their families from the Twenty20 World Cup in the UAE next month until the end of the Ashes in mid-January.

England are concerned they could be without family for months on Ashes tour
    Australia have strict quarantine rules and are currently unwilling to relax them
    Prime minister Boris Johnson has held talks with Australia PM Scott Morrison
    He revealed his counterpart has vowed to do his best and come up with solution
    According to Daily Mail, seeing the seriousness of the situation – PM of UK has intervened at his White House summit with Morrison and US President Joe Biden this week.

‘I raised it and (Morrison) said he was going to do his best with the families,’ said Johnson.

‘It’s very tough to be away from their families for so long over Christmas. He merely undertook to go away and come back with a solution.’

https://www.insidesport.co/ashes-ser...heir-families/

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I can see either the Ashes being cancelled or Root leading out a C team and losing 0-5.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I can see either the Ashes being cancelled or Root leading out a C team and losing 0-5.
    I dont think it will go ahead, It would require multiple states relaxing their rules which will be dependent on the situation at the time.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will get postponed to next year I guess.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    English cricket is like soap opera TV, too much drama.They are getting hammered anyway...

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not cancelled, most likely will get postponed

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    England's cricketers and their families will be given 'no special deals' over quarantine for the Ashes, Australia's Prime Minister has warned.

Scott Morrison suggested the players were no different to skilled workers or students so would have to self-isolate.

But Boris Johnson sounded a more positive note and said Mr Morrison had promised he would 'see if he could find a solution'.

The pair tried to thrash out a deal as they met in Washington DC - following their trips to the United Nations General Assembly in New York.

Read More

England stars such as captain Joe Root are weary of bubble fatigue and the prospect of further restrictions while in Australia.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and Cricket Australia (CA) have been locked in talks throughout the year but there is yet to be a breakthrough.

Mr Morrison said: 'I would love to see the Ashes go ahead, as I shared with Boris. But there's no special deals there.

'I don't see a great deal of difference in skilled workers or students, who will be able to come to Australia when you reach the vaccination rates.'

Morrison reiterated international travel would resume at 80 per cent double-dose vaccination coverage, for over 16s.

But when asked about the talks yesterday, the UK Prime Minister sounded a more positive note.

Mr Johnson told reporters: 'I raised it and he said he was going to do his best for the families.

'He totally got the point that for cricketers it is very tough to ask people to be away from their families over Christmas.'

He added: 'He merely undertook to come back and see if he could find a solution.'

The pair had dinner after the military pact they formed with the US enraged France because it led to Canberra cancelling a lucrative deal to provide submarines.

CA's attempt to finalise quarantine and biosecurity plans that satisfy all parties, including Queensland's risk-averse state government, has proven to be difficult.

There is hope the coming weeks will deliver a breakthrough in talks between the ECB and its Test players, ensuring a near full-strength squad arrives for the iconic series.

England's quarantine concessions will be dictated by whichever state they are staying in, with the itinerary believed to start with quarantine on the Gold Coast.

But the ECB is at the mercy of the federal government regarding its touring party's size and entry to Australia, including questions about family members flying out.

Several England stars are wavering over the trip, as they may be away from their families for up to three months over Christmas.

Stuart Broad last week said he will fly to Australia but understood if teammates opted out of the tour, arguing CA had provided 'minimal detail' about restrictions.

It comes after England was accused of 'failing a member of the cricket fraternity in need' after pulling out of next month's tour of Pakistan.

It was despite Pakistan playing here in bio-secure conditions last year, ensuring the ECB did not make huge losses.

It was agreed England would play their first internationals in Pakistan in 16 years, only for the ECB to say it was 'sincerely sorry for the impact' their decision would have.

England Cricket added that bosses remains committed to a full tour of Pakistan in 2022.

It follows New Zealand's lead, after the southern nation pulled out of its tour citing security concerns.

PCB chairman Ramiz Raja tweeted: 'Disappointed with England, pulling out of their commitment and failing a member of their cricket fraternity when it needed it most.

'Survive we will. A wake-up call for Pak team to become the best team in the world for teams to line up to play them without excuses.'

He added on Sky Sports: 'It is disappointing to say the least because now was the time for England to help, hold our hand because that is what our small cricket fraternity does.

'It is unfortunate and disappointing because it may have a domino effect.

'New Zealand have pulled out because of a bizarre security threat that wasn't shared with our security forces.

'And now England have decided to pull out. Whatever sacrifices we made to help the Covid situation, that appears to have gone. We have learned a harsh lesson.

'It is bizarre. When it comes to Pakistan Super League, all these England players are happy to travel, but as a group, they are spooked by the situation and are not willing to share it.

'It is extremely frustrating. We are a resilient cricket nation, we will survive. It's just that you feel cheated.'

Raja slammed the 'western bloc' of the 2019 World Cup finalists and Australia for not 'accepting us as theirs' and said the PCB will 'only go as far as is in our interest' now.

He said: 'I am severely disappointed in England's withdrawal but it was expected because this western bloc gets united unfortunately and tries to back each other.

'This [England's withdrawal] was expected but this is a lesson for us because we go out of our way to accommodate and pamper these sides when they visit.

'And when we go there, we undergo strict quarantines and we tolerate their admonishments, but there is a lesson in this.

'That is, that from now on we will only go as far as is in our interest. Our interest is that cricket will not stop in our country and if the cricket fraternity will not take care of each other then there's no point to it.

'New Zealand, then England, now we have a West Indies series that can also be hit, and Australia who is already reconsidering.

'This - England, Australia, New Zealand - is all one block. Who can we complain to? We thought they were our own but they haven't accepted us as theirs.'

Eoin Morgan's side had been due to play two Twenty20s in Rawalpindi on October 14 and 15 and England women were scheduled to feature in five matches.

But the trip was canned 72 hours after New Zealand responded to a high-level security threat aimed at their players by calling off their tour at the last minute.

In a statement, the ECB confirmed its board had convened over the weekend and had decided to withdraw.

It read: 'The mental and physical well-being of our players and support staff remains our highest priority.

'We know there are increasing concerns about travelling to the region and believe going ahead will add further pressure to a group who have already coped with a long period of operating in restricted Covid environments.

'We believe touring under these conditions will not be ideal preparation for the ICC Men's T20 World Cup, where performing well remains a top priority.'

The cancellation will not cost the ECB financially, as it was a goodwill tour rather than being part of international cricket's Future Tours Programme.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...d-cricket.html

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Even an iconic Ashes series away isnt important to england, they know they will lose 4 or 5 nil so they are saving face making excuses here.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amjid Javed View Post
    Even an iconic Ashes series away isnt important to england, they know they will lose 4 or 5 nil so they are saving face making excuses here.
    Not necessarily. If they get Stokes back and a clutch of fast bowlers healthy, they can compete.

It just depends on whether the key players are prepared to risk their mental health in Australian bubbles away from family for months.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not necessarily. If they get Stokes back and a clutch of fast bowlers healthy, they can compete.

It just depends on whether the key players are prepared to risk their mental health in Australian bubbles away from family for months.
    Very unlikely. Archer cant sustain his speed and also injury prone, Wood is hit and miss , Olly stone had a stress fracture and nobody else has the pace for Australian pitches. If there were 5 red ball tests with no rain, it would be 5-0 Australia. But England will do well in the pink ball test/s.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Very unlikely. Archer cant sustain his speed and also injury prone, Wood is hit and miss , Olly stone had a stress fracture and nobody else has the pace for Australian pitches. If there were 5 red ball tests with no rain, it would be 5-0 Australia. But England will do well in the pink ball test/s.
    I agree on Archer, he’s a ODI bowler.

I have great faith in Wood, who Root uses badly. He should get the new ball and pitch it up, not this bruiser/ enforcer nonsense.

I think Robinson will do well as he gets a lot of lift, and is a similar type to Hazlewood.

Mahmood is a good fit for Australia and England should pick him.

Is Stone still crocked?

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

These are high paid international cricketers they need to stop whinning about bubble conditions they have to play in, its the same for all teams right now. I dont see any of these england players crying about the bubble in the IPL. oh wait i forgot the extra money most be a magic cure for mental health. England have cancelled thar many tours in last 12 months what burn out will they suffer from?

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I agree on Archer, he’s a ODI bowler.

I have great faith in Wood, who Root uses badly. He should get the new ball and pitch it up, not this bruiser/ enforcer nonsense.

I think Robinson will do well as he gets a lot of lift, and is a similar type to Hazlewood.

Mahmood is a good fit for Australia and England should pick him.

Is Stone still crocked?
    Robinson needs a bit more air speed than what he has shown until now . He's accurate and gets bounce but Hazlewood is much quicker. Data shows that you need to be 135 + in Australia, on average. Hazlewood is higher than that and Ollie is comfortably lower than that. Saqib and Wood have the pace but are they accurate enough?

The only English pacer who had both the speed and the consistency in recent times was , in fact , Stuart Broad. And I thought he was brilliant in 2013/14

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Highly doubt that it will go ahead.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Highly doubt that it will go ahead.
    Sad state of affairs if it doesnt.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fears for the Ashes have been somewhat alleviated after England reportedly received “better than expected” news regarding tour conditions.

Sportsmail reports that the England and Wales Cricket Board was on Friday sent the proposed conditions by Cricket Australia amid concerns of a player exodus from the touring party.

The publication reports that the conditions haven’t yet been shared with the players, although a source reportedly said the guidelines were “better than expected”.

England’s players were reportedly told that the guidelines would be shared with them early next month after negotiations conclude around the October 4 deadline.

The ECB is aware of the freedoms required to prevent some of its players from withdrawing from Ashes selection.

The players’ main concern is believed to be rules that may prevent families from travelling, and strict quarantine restrictions that would prevent them from doing anything outside of training and playing the Tests.

An initial 14-day quarantine period is reportedly not a roadblock for the Ashes, providing freedoms can be granted to England’s players thereafter.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Robinson needs a bit more air speed than what he has shown until now . He's accurate and gets bounce but Hazlewood is much quicker. Data shows that you need to be 135 + in Australia, on average. Hazlewood is higher than that and Ollie is comfortably lower than that. Saqib and Wood have the pace but are they accurate enough?

The only English pacer who had both the speed and the consistency in recent times was , in fact , Stuart Broad. And I thought he was brilliant in 2013/14
    Hmm, I would put Robbo and Hazelwood at similar speed to the naked eye at least. Bounce from his height, strength and high release point will be his weapons in Australia, like Fraser a generation ago who couldn’t even pass 80 mph.

Never thought of Broad as quick, no more so that Robinson.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With moeen out, England will bat till 7. Eng had a chance to field 6 bowlers with moeen.

If the series isn't postponed, the likely bowling attack is woakes, Robinson, wood/broad, Leach, stokes.

For the d/n test, broad, anderson, robinson, woakes, stokes. No spinner

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sindhiboy View Post
    With moeen out, England will bat till 7. Eng had a chance to field 6 bowlers with moeen.

If the series isn't postponed, the likely bowling attack is woakes, Robinson, wood/broad, Leach, stokes.

For the d/n test, broad, anderson, robinson, woakes, stokes. No spinner
    Woakes won’t be effective except at Adelaide. I’d hit them with Robbo, Wood, Stone to Mahmood, Stokes and Leach.

I think Broad is finished.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perth Ashes test in doubt due to COVID-19 curbs - minister

MELBOURNE, Sept 28 (Reuters) - Perth may not be able to hold an Ashes test over Australia's home summer due to COVID-19 restrictions, sports minister Richard Colbeck said on Tuesday.

Perth is scheduled to host the fifth and final test from Jan. 14 but Colbeck said the Western Australia (WA) capital might have to miss out because of the state's quarantine requirements.

Colbeck told Perth radio station 6PR players would not want to quarantine for 14 days in Western Australia as would be required if they played the preceding fourth test as scheduled in Sydney.

"We've had to do a lot of work to organise quarantine arrangements for cricketers coming into Australia,” Colbeck said.

"There's serious questions about whether there'll be a test match in Perth this summer.

"If there's no chance of coming here without prolonged quarantine, it just won’t occur."

The Ashes starts in Brisbane on Dec. 8, followed by tests in Adelaide (Dec. 16), Melbourne (Dec. 26) and Sydney (Jan. 5).

Cricket Australia (CA) said it was planning for all tests as scheduled.

England players have threatened to pull out of the series if forced to adhere to Australia's strict quarantine regime and have sought assurances that their families will be able to travel to Australia and tour with them.

Australia's COVID-19 situation has thrown the schedule into doubt, with COVID-free Western Australia loath to open its borders while other states battle outbreaks.

Australia's federal government released a vague plan in July to start easing quarantine restrictions and inter-state travel curbs once 70% of adults are vaccinated, likely by the end of October according to official projections.

But WA and Queensland, of which Brisbane is the capital, have said they may keep borders shut for longer to avoid the risk of their health systems being overwhelmed by COVID outbreaks.

WA Cricket boss Christina Matthews said the sport's state governing body had asked CA to move the Perth match forward in the schedule to avoid the quarantine snag.

“We know it is under real threat,” Matthews told The West Australian newspaper.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sp...er-2021-09-28/

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Joe Root says he is "desperate" to take part in the Ashes, but stopped short of confirming he will definitely lead England in Australia.

England's players are waiting to learn what touring conditions this winter's series will be played under.

"It is so hard to make a decision until we know what it looks like," said Root.

"Once that information comes through and we have a bit more clarity, hopefully we are in a position to go and do something special this winter."

England are looking to regain the urn from Australia, with the five-Test series set to begin on 8 December.

However, with Australia having some of the strictest Covid-19 protocols in the world, England's players have concerns over whether their families will be allowed to travel with them, the nature of quarantine arrangements and any potential 'bubble' they would be expected to live in.

Cricket Australia (CA) has delivered proposals to the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), which has responded with a number of issues that require clarification.

The touring conditions could be presented to the England players on Friday who would then have the weekend to decide on their participation before a squad is selected next week.

Root, speaking as he was named as the Professional Cricketers' Association men's player of the year, said the wait for information was "frustrating".

The 30-year-old led England on their last tour of Australia but that series ended in a 4-0 defeat and he has not made a century in his nine Tests down under.

That record is in contrast to the 1,455 Test runs he scored in the past year, a return that led to the PCA award.

As England's captain and leading batsman, Root will be aware that his words carry significance and that any public statement he makes about his own availability to tour could put pressure on his team-mates to make their own commitment.

"I am desperate to be part of an Ashes series, I always am," he said.

"It is the one series as an England player that you want to be involved in, and that will never change.

"For the group we've got to find out what the position is and make a decision off the back of that."

England will definitely be without injured fast bowler Jofra Archer, while all-rounder Ben Stokes' participation is in serious doubt as he takes an indefinite break from cricket to protect his mental well-being.

The tour conditions proposed by CA are thought to be better than the ECB first feared and there is a feeling that the majority of players will accept them.

Still, planning for the tour is complicated by the fact the five Tests are due to take place in five different Australian states, which all have their own Covid protocols.

While New South Wales, the state of the fourth Test in Sydney, has published its own route out of lockdown, there are doubts over whether the fifth Test can take place in Perth because of Western Australia's travel restrictions.

On Tuesday, Queensland's Sheffield Shield fixture against Tasmania was postponed because of four new community cases in Queensland, which is due to host the first Ashes Test at the Gabba in Brisbane.

"From a players' point of view we just want to know what the situation will be and then we can make decisions," said Root.

"Of course it has been a discussion point throughout the whole summer. It is a big deal to all of us.

"Those will continue and hopefully we can get some clarity on everything and it would be nice to all go out there and create history."

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    I dont think you were invited Kevin, but its reassuring to know that you wont be here.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Cricket Australia and the Australian government need to get a life. If the English players and their families are fully Vaccinated then they should relax the quarantine and bubble requirements

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Cricket Australia and the Australian government need to get a life. If the English players and their families are fully Vaccinated then they should relax the quarantine and bubble requirements
    Cricket Australia and Australian government do not have the power to change the quarantine rules.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Nathan Lyon says he wouldn’t hesitate to play in this summer’s Ashes if he was an England player despite ongoing uncertainty over tour conditions.

Speaking on Fox Sports’ Road to the Ashes podcast on Wednesday, the off-spinner weighed in on concerns that English players will pull out of the blockbuster series if strict isolation measures are in place.

Asked by Brendon Julian if he understands the hesitancy of some players, Lyon said he does — but doesn’t believe he would have any issues himself.

“I can probably understand it, but I think as professional athletes and cricketers we’re so lucky in what we do and it really comes upon us to give back to the game that’s given us so much,” Lyon said.

“I wouldn’t have a doubt in coming out if it was myself.”

He added: “Especially in an Ashes series. An Ashes series, they’re the type of series that can honestly make someone’s career.”

Lyon noted that he hasn’t been in the same situation as England’s Test cricketers, who have already toured Sri Lanka and India in 2021 and will be asked to tour Australia, too. Some may do so after playing in the T20 World Cup in the UAE, starting in mid-October.

By contrast, Australia’s male cricketers have only featured in white ball tours of New Zealand, the Caribbean and Bangladesh since last summer.

The absence of red ball cricket has meant Lyon — who doesn’t play in the Indian Premier League — has stayed on Australian shores, completing a rare pre-season in preparation for the summer.

Nonetheless, while the 33-year-old agrees that playing in bio-secure bubbles is a mentally exhausting experience, he believes that featuring in an Ashes would make it worth while.

“It can wear you down I guess but, as I said, it’s a small price to pay in my eyes,” Lyon said.

“That’s a very, probably, selfish opinion from me. I’m not going to the IPL, I’ve been home for the past eight months or so, so I’m itching to get out there.”

The ECB is this week reviewing tour conditions put forward by Cricket Australia and is expected to present them to its players in early October.

An inside source told Sportsmail last week that the proposed touring conditions are “better than expected”.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...d83ac854095bdb

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Australia captain Tim Paine says the Ashes will go ahead this winter, even if some England players decide not to travel because of Covid restrictions.

Joe Root and other members of the England team have expressed doubts over the tour, citing 'bubble fatigue'.

Some are considering pulling out of the Ashes if their families are not allowed to travel to Australia.

"The Ashes are going ahead. The first Test is on 8 December - whether Joe is here or not," said Paine.

Speaking to radio station SEN Hobart, he added: "It'll be worked out above us and then they'll have a choice whether to get on that plane or not.

"No-one is forcing any England player to come. That's the beauty of the world we live in - you have a choice. If you don't want to come, don't come."

Cricket Australia has delivered proposals to the England and Wales Cricket Board, which has responded seeking clarification in a number of areas.

Australia has some of the strictest Covid-19 protocols in the world, complicated by the fact the five Tests are due to take place in five different states, which all have their own Covid rules.

"It is so hard to make a decision until we know what it looks like," England captain Root said earlier this week.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/58759083

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ashes won’t go ahead if ECB can’t raise a team.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    How much will Cricket Australia and Australia lose in $$$ if the Ashes is abandoned?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Lol, this hypocrite has no problem being in a bubble for the IPL

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former England Test captain Sir Andrew Strauss urged England players who are thinking about pulling out of the Ashes tour to Australia due to ‘bubble fatigue’ to think again and get on the plane.

“To me, the Ashes need to go ahead," Strauss was quoted as saying in the Daily Mail.

“We are learning to live with Covid in this country and Australia is in a slightly different place. But the Ashes means a lot to a lot of people, and some of them are people that are going through a tough time themselves.

“It defies belief that all these other sports are taking place and that the Ashes doesn’t take place. There is a way of making it happen and I think we are moving in the right direction. I think there will be accommodations made and that families will get out there.

“Personally, I think if you are selected on an Ashes tour, you should go. An Ashes tour is not the one to pull out of, in my opinion. But I understand that everyone sees things slightly differently," he added.

‘But I think that between Cricket Australia, the Australian government and the ECB, they will find a way that works for both the players and their families.’

The England players will get more details of the quarantine and living conditions by for their 11-week tour on Sunday.

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...e-4277246.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    England's Test players could make their decisions on whether to embark on this winter's Ashes tour as early as Monday after being informed of the quarantine and living conditions they can expect in Australia.

Joe Root's squad, along with the ECB hierarchy, were involved in a video conference call with Cricket Australia on Sunday in which they were given a presentation on the proposals for the 11-week tour.

They were the first details of the Covid-related restrictions the players had seen, despite CA sending a first draft to the ECB on September 24. The governing body opted to keep that to themselves for 10 days to provide time to push back on certain aspects of the tourists' proposed environment.

Now the individuals concerned will be asked to decide whether they find the guidance acceptable — and to report back on their availability as soon as possible.

A squad will then be selected later this week alongside an England Lions party. In all, around 30 players will be heading to Australia. The Test specialists fly out early next month.

England will definitely be without Moeen Ali, who retired from Test cricket last week, and injured fast bowler Jofra Archer, who will be met by the ECB's medical team on Monday to discuss the check-up scans he had recently on his troublesome right elbow.

Ben Stokes remains out of the game for an indefinite period for mental health reasons.

Last week, England captain Root stopped short of committing to Test cricket's most venerable series and Jos Buttler said he would not tour if it meant months away from his family.

Buttler and his international white-ball team-mates now face the prospect of being on the road for an extra week this winter following the cancellation of the whistle-stop tour of Pakistan.

The ICC's Covid regulations require teams heading to the Twenty20 World Cup to arrive directly from an isolation period elsewhere, or face a six-day hard quarantine in the UAE.

The ECB have therefore opted to send the squad to Oman today, where they will spend 24 hours in their hotel rooms before being faced with a soft quarantine for six days — one that allows some freedom around the resort.

Next week, Eoin Morgan's team fly into the UAE, on one of the charter planes the ICC are using between venue hubs, to prepare for their opener against West Indies in Dubai on October 23.

Had they fulfilled their matches against Pakistan on October 13 and 14, it would have been part of a bubble period that allowed them to bridge into the Twenty20 tournament.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cric...day/ar-AAP6uxa

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    How much will Cricket Australia and Australia lose in $$$ if the Ashes is abandoned?
    I'm not sure an exact figure but CA & state associations would lose tens of millions in US Dollars easily just on revenue from tickets over an Ashes series. A single days tickets at the MCG- say 75 000 people x $50 US per ticket on average (conservative) is 3.5 million dollars on a single day- not even including food & beverage & merchandise sales.

It would jeopardise also the TV rights, which is almost a billion dollar US long term deal. I doubt they'd lose the full value but easily another $100 million since Ashes series are the premium content in the deal...

It'd be a disaster financially, CA would lose huge revenues but I'm sure they'd survive as their broadcast partners have a vested interest in cricket doing well.

I think England will send a team, minus a couple of stars.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @wrongun - no Root, Stokes, Buttler and Archer - will be a slaughter.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Over the weekend we have been talking to England men’s players and management to provide them with the latest information about the proposed arrangements for this winter’s scheduled Ashes tour.

We remain in regular and positive dialogue with Cricket Australia over these arrangements as the picture is constantly evolving. With health and wellbeing at the forefront, our focus is to ensure the tour can go ahead with conditions for players and management to perform at their best.

We will continue talking to our players this week to share the latest information and seek feedback.

Later this week the ECB Board will meet to decide whether the conditions in place are sufficient for the Tour to go ahead and enable the selection of a squad befitting a series of this significance.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Time to find some new heroes, Robert.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is too much money at stake for it not to go ahead, it remains to be seen which team the ECB puts out. I'm sure Root, Jimmy, Broad and a few others will go.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    (Reuters) - Former captain Nasser Hussain has criticised Australia’s lack of empathy for England’s players as doubts continue over whether Joe Root and his team will travel for this year’s Ashes series.

England are scheduled to play the first of five tests against Tim Paine’s team at the Gabba in Brisbane from Dec. 8, but doubts have been raised over whether Root and his players will travel due to Australia’s strict quarantining measures.

“England have played 18 Test matches since the start of the pandemic in March 2020,” Hussain wrote in his Daily Mail column.

“That’s five more than anyone else — and 14 more than Australia, whose four Tests all came at home against India last winter.

“I’m quite proud of the way in which England’s Test team have kept the show on the road in difficult circumstances, moving in and out of bubbles and spending time away from their families.

“It’s draining. Mental health has suffered. So for people in Australia to start lecturing them, and telling them they should simply suck it up, is a bit rich.”

Cricket Australia has been negotiating with authorities and England’s board over travel conditions and whether players’ families can visit during the Christmas and New Year period.

Australia has caps on international arrivals and there is a mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine even for the fully vaccinated.

Paine said last week that the Ashes would go ahead regardless of some England players’ reluctance to travel. [L1N2QX030]

“Unless you’ve spent time in a bubble — and some of these guys have done it repeatedly — you don’t get to lecture other people on how they should behave,” wrote Hussain.

“It’s a delicate balancing act for Root and Ashley Giles, the director of cricket.

“They need to be considerate about the players’ mental health as they prepare to enter yet another bubble on one of the toughest tours of all. But they also know their only chance of winning in Australia is if everyone is on board.

“That’s why I don’t like these easy judgments from the other side of the world. If the last 18 months have taught us anything, surely it’s the importance of empathy.”

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bit hypocritical for Hussain to be preaching empathy when the ECB cited mental health to pull out of a four-day trip to Pakistan.

CA can't do much given the current state of Australian politics.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Buttler and Archer wouldn't have made much difference and Stokes has health issues unrelated to Covid . Root will be a massive loss to England though if he chooses not to travel . Singlehandedly carrying the batting right now.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    ECB decision today on whether the Ashes goes ahead.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So what will ICC do if ECB cancel the Ashes?

I know what the ECB will do, they will reschedule their away tour to next November and cancel the Pakistan tour all together

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cricket Australia is projecting a AUD 200 million loss if the Ashes are cancelled this winter. The ECB are using that as a bargaining tool to get the most favourable deal for the players.

There's a remote chance that the series is cancelled, otherwise it'll be the death knell for Ashes cricket and arguably Cricket Australia. The ECB won't shoot themselves in the foot by risking a retaliation from CA, not when they don't have a comparable source of revenue over a four-year cycle themselves.

It's all empty posturing by the ECB and their stooges in the English media.
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 5th October 2021 at 17:31.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    So what will ICC do if ECB cancel the Ashes?

I know what the ECB will do, they will reschedule their away tour to next November and cancel the Pakistan tour all together
    This is very likely.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Cricket Australia is projecting a AUD 200 million loss if the Ashes are cancelled this winter. The ECB are using that as a bargaining tool to get the most favourable deal for the players.

There's a remote chance that the series is cancelled, otherwise it'll be the death knell for Ashes cricket and arguably Cricket Australia. The ECB won't shoot themselves in the foot by risking a retaliation from CA, not when they don't have a comparable source of revenue over a four-year cycle themselves.

It's all empty posturing by the ECB and their stooges in the English media.
    Looks like my estimates weren't too far off. There's no way surely ENgland manage to get THREE major test boards (SA, PAk, Oz) angry at them at once... surely...

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So ECB played against every team in the world in England during the pandemic and in return refuses to tour even half of the sides that have invited them? Lol

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The five-Test Ashes series is in doubt due to the strict coronavirus restrictions in Australia, with captain Joe Root one of the players who has yet to commit to going on the tour.

Discussions have been held between the England and Wales Cricket Board and Cricket Australia over entry requirements and quarantine and bubble conditions England will face Down Under, with the players set to make a decision by the end of the week.

Serial Ashes winner Botham believes some England players could be hiding behind the Covid-19 issue.

“It’s the ultimate test and — I don’t know — I start to wonder maybe if some of these guys don’t fancy the ultimate test,” Botham, 65, told the Daily Telegraph.

“You have to start to worry about it. Playing for England is the ultimate. To play Test cricket for England is the ultimate and to play against Australia in Australia, and win, is magnificent.

“I just wish that we could actually put a positive spin on something and my positive spin is: ‘Let’s get out there, let’s see if we can beat the best in their own backyard.’ Because Australia don’t lose very often in their own backyard.

“I suggest it’s a challenge and if I was in their boots, I’d already have my bags packed.”

Australia currently hold the urn after a 2-2 draw in England in 2019, with the first Test due to start in Brisbane on December 8.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/cric...ing/ar-AAPaMz6

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ECB should just pick a squad of players willing to go. All this drama, for what?

Stop handing players so much power, they have a lot of it anyway. If they don't want to go, respect their decision to put their mental health first, but why hold up the tour? It isn't players career that's just on the line with such high profile tours, so many jobs in broadcasting, grounds and local tourism are associated with these.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...s-4287302.html

Australian cricket will face a major financial loss if the England team refuses to tour Down Under for the Ashes series, which is scheduled to begin in December.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, any boycott because of the England player" refusal to undergo resort-style quarantine for themselves and their families around the five-Test series would leave an Australian Dollars (AUD)200 million blackhole in Australian cricket’s finances.

“About AUD100 million of that would be as a direct impact on the Australian broadcast rights deal with Channel Seven and Fox, while sponsorship, overseas broadcast rights, and ticket sales would make up the bulk of the remainder.

“International, state, and Big Bash male and female cricketers receive roughly a quarter of Australian cricket income, with a large chunk of the remaining AUD 150m earmarked for grassroots cricket," the report stated.

The ECB board is likely to meet later this week to determine whether this writer’s Ashes can take place, after appearing to concede that several of the ‘eam’s leading players remain unwilling to submit to Australia’s stringent Covid-19 protocols.

In a statement issued on Monday morning, the ECB said that it had been in discussions with England men’s players and management — some of whom will be departing for the UAE later the same day ahead of this month’s T20 World Cup.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    England skipper Joe Root has confirmed he will travel to Australia for this year's Ashes, paving the way for the troubled series to go ahead.

Official confirmation is expected to follow by the end of the week, according to the UK's Daily Telegraph newspaper.

Root's confirmation that he will tour follows weeks of negotiations between the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) and Cricket Australia (CA).

England's main sticking point was whether their families would be able to join them in Australia over the Christmas period, with some players facing the prospect of four months away from home.

Avoiding two weeks of hard quarantine was also seen as a major issue, but a compromise where the players' families will be allowed to quarantine at a resort in Victoria, as reported by the Sydney Morning Herald, has helped alleviate those fears.

The decision followed a meeting between Root, the ECB and CA on Tuesday to work out the final details of the tour.

Root previously said he was "desperate" to be a part of the Ashes, but had to see the full plan on what restrictions his players would face before committing.

His Australian counterpart, Tim Paine, said last week that the Ashes would take place "whether Joe is here or not".

However, Australia's white-ball captain Aaron Finch admitted he sympathised with the England players' concerns.

Finch, who has played international matches in England, the West Indies and New Zealand in the last 12 months, all in COVID-secure bubbles, is relieved the series will go ahead.

"It's obviously a difficult situation for them," Finch said.

"They have been dragged from pillar to post with their schedule in the past few months. They've played a lot of Test cricket.

"I can understand where they're coming from. Having families around, especially in a pandemic [is important].

"But it's great to see Joe has supported that and they are going to come down."

The first Test is due to take place at the Gabba on December 8.

Root's backing means that England is likely to travel with a close-to full-strength squad.

England's second string "Lions" team is also locked in to tour, with several fringe players expecting to follow their skipper in committing to touring, with fears their long-term futures as England players might be compromised by refusing to travel.

But there are still question marks over wicketkeeper/batter Jos Buttler, who has repeatedly expressed concerns about being away from his family.

England's full touring party will be announced later in the week, but is likely to be missing star all-rounder Ben Stokes, who has taken an indefinite leave from all forms of cricket.

Fast bowler Jofra Archer will also be missing after suffering an elbow injury.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-...alks/100516734

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If 66 goes, then the rest will follow except Buttler.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I suppose the England players participating in this years Ashes will need a 2 year break from cricket unless they will play India in between or get picked for the IPL

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    My first test team of all were to be available:

Burns
    Hameed
    Malan
    Root
    Stokes
    Pope
    Foakes
    Robinson
    Wood
    Stone (Anderson at Adelaide)
    Leach

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Never forget WHY Australia has such strict quarantine rules. The UK is currently an absolute basketcase in terms of Covid, as demonstrated by current infection rates per 100,000 population:

Greater Manchester 53
    England national average 49
    Greater London 32
    USA national average 31
    Texas 29
    Melbourne 24
    Florida 20
    Sydney 15
    Australia 8
    Brisbane 0.06
    Adelaide 0.01
    Perth 0

There is little or no recognition in the UK that when you are doing twice as badly as Florida or Texas it's time for you to shut up and accept your own abject failure.
    Last edited by Junaids; 7th October 2021 at 07:33.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If everything has been discussed down to the micro detail and our captain is satisfied with the arrangements, then because I trust his judgment I will fall in behind him and switch to backing the tour. If it’s good enough for Joe Root then it’s good enough for me.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My first test team of all were to be available:

Burns
    Hameed
    Malan
    Root
    Stokes
    Pope
    Foakes
    Robinson
    Wood
    Stone (Anderson at Adelaide)
    Leach
    Mitr, Stokes is preparing himself for IPL 2022. Not enough time for his finger to heal for the Ashes.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    ECB BOARD GIVES CONDITIONAL APPROVAL TO MEN'S ASHES TOUR

"Over recent weeks we have made excellent progress in moving forward on the England Men's Ashes Tour.

"To facilitate further progress and allow a squad to be selected, The ECB Board has met today and given its approval for the tour to go ahead. This decision is subject to several critical conditions being met before we travel.

"We look forward to the ongoing assistance from Cricket Australia in resolving these matters in the coming days."

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    England think they can dictate terms to Australia about biosecurity?

Someone needs to remind them that:

1. The UK infection rate of 49 per 100,000 per day is catastrophic, right now. As in, more than twice as bad as Florida, which is itself a worldwide joke.

2. They are suffering 1,000 deaths per week, which they seem to be brushing under the carpet.

3. The UK delude themselves that they are doing well with vaccination, when they actually lost their early lead months ago, and now trail the likes of Cambodia, Malaysia and Bhutan and are 1% ahead of Outer Mongolia.

There is a real problem if they want to bring any kids aged over 12 to Australia, because British teenagers are only half-vaccinated for reasons their government basically made up off the top of their heads.

The UK is currently a Failed State in terms of Covid. Its pathetic decision to let the virus rip even caused the Brazil v Argentina FIFA World Cup Qualifier to be abandoned after five minutes so that Brazil could deport the players who had been in the UK and failed to quarantine.

If the ECB wants to set conditions for Australian Biosecurity then it really is best they stay in England.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    England think they can dictate terms to Australia about biosecurity?

Someone needs to remind them that:

1. The UK infection rate of 49 per 100,000 per day is catastrophic, right now. As in, more than twice as bad as Florida, which is itself a worldwide joke.

2. They are suffering 1,000 deaths per week, which they seem to be brushing under the carpet.

3. The UK delude themselves that they are doing well with vaccination, when they actually lost their early lead months ago, and now trail the likes of Cambodia, Malaysia and Bhutan and are 1% ahead of Outer Mongolia.

There is a real problem if they want to bring any kids aged over 12 to Australia, because British teenagers are only half-vaccinated for reasons their government basically made up off the top of their heads.

The UK is currently a Failed State in terms of Covid. Its pathetic decision to let the virus rip even caused the Brazil v Argentina FIFA World Cup Qualifier to be abandoned after five minutes so that Brazil could deport the players who had been in the UK and failed to quarantine.

If the ECB wants to set conditions for Australian Biosecurity then it really is best they stay in England.
    Maybe England can’t and should not dictate. Which means their conditions should not be met, and the Ashes is cancelled. Hoorah

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    A big part of the problem is that forelock-tugging deference to Oxbridge graduates is deeply ingrained in the British psyche.

That’s ok when you have a patrician leader of integrity. But Johnson has a long history of dishonesty, and it’s in full swing now.

Britain is currently on fire, with catastrophic levels of Covid infection and death. But the conmen running both the country and the National Health Service are spreading the lie that Britain is superbly vaccinated and that that has broken the link between infections and serious illness and death.

It’s absolute nonsense. 2/3 of vaccinated people got the 60% effective AstraZeneca jab. The 20% of the population aged under 16 is either unvaccinated or, incredibly, half-vaccinated.

People swallow the story that AstraZeneca - Covishield to those of you in India - is a good vaccine because it was developed at Oxford University. Hardly anybody knows that the USA and New Zealand gave away their entire orders of it, or that Canada stopped using it due to inferior efficacy, or that even Uruguay - a tinpot South American republic - is revaccinating all AstraZeneca recipients with something more effective.

We see full EPL stadia, and nobody acknowledges that every EPL match now has a death toll. (One Delta infected limo driver in Sydney has so far killed 240 unvaccinated people, 165 single-jabbed people and 30 double-jabbed people).

So if England want to get Australia to accept their recklessly low anti-life standards of Biosecure behaviour, they will either have to stay at home or play every match under the far-right New South Wales government.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    A big part of the problem is that forelock-tugging deference to Oxbridge graduates is deeply ingrained in the British psyche.

That’s ok when you have a patrician leader of integrity. But Johnson has a long history of dishonesty, and it’s in full swing now.

Britain is currently on fire, with catastrophic levels of Covid infection and death. But the conmen running both the country and the National Health Service are spreading the lie that Britain is superbly vaccinated and that that has broken the link between infections and serious illness and death.

It’s absolute nonsense. 2/3 of vaccinated people got the 60% effective AstraZeneca jab. The 20% of the population aged under 16 is either unvaccinated or, incredibly, half-vaccinated.

People swallow the story that AstraZeneca - Covishield to those of you in India - is a good vaccine because it was developed at Oxford University. Hardly anybody knows that the USA and New Zealand gave away their entire orders of it, or that Canada stopped using it due to inferior efficacy, or that even Uruguay - a tinpot South American republic - is revaccinating all AstraZeneca recipients with something more effective.

We see full EPL stadia, and nobody acknowledges that every EPL match now has a death toll. (One Delta infected limo driver in Sydney has so far killed 240 unvaccinated people, 165 single-jabbed people and 30 double-jabbed people).

So if England want to get Australia to accept their recklessly low anti-life standards of Biosecure behaviour, they will either have to stay at home or play every match under the far-right New South Wales government.

We are COVID Island.

This tour is also pretty hypocritical of the ECB given how they stitched up Pakistan.

I would have called it off.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We are COVID Island.

This tour is also pretty hypocritical of the ECB given how they stitched up Pakistan.

Given how NZ pulled out due to safety concerns if ENG had toured Pakistan what would be the consequences for board members if there was an attack of some sort on the players. Would they be charged with criminal negligence?.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    We are COVID Island.

The UK really is Covid Island:

Deaths per day in the UK are at 0.16 per 100,000 population - twice as bad as Canada and France, three times worse than Germany or Italy and eight times worse than Denmark.

Cases per 100,000 population per day in the UK are the second worst in the developed world after Singapore. Twice as bad as Ireland, four times worse than the Netherlands, five times worse than Germany, eight times worse than Australia and France.

And the UK vaccination rate is a disaster too now that the gold standard is the vaccination rate of people aged 12 and over who ae double-jabbed.

Ireland is at 75%, Canada at 73%, France at 68% and the UK at 67%, down in 25th position amongst countries with a population over 1 million.

But the UK full vaccination rate is stagnant at 67%, whereas Australia and New Zealand which were miles behind are now rapidly vaccinating and, for example, New South Wales now has 92% of eligible people who have had 1 jab and are booked in for another within 6 weeks.

In short, if the ECB wants to dictate Covid terms to Cricket Australia they had better understand that their country is far from the success story it thinks it is. The reality is that the UK is simply a Covid basketcase, a laughing stock.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    London, Oct 20: Cricket Australia have rejected England and Wales Cricket Board’s request to move Ashes opener from Brisbane to Sydney on grounds of possible “added complication” that might occur due to the change of venue. The English board have requested for the move to allow their players to avoid the 14-day mandatory quarantine in Queensland as Sydney will become the first Australian state to permit fully vaccinated travellers without having to spend time in isolation.

The Joe Root-led England side are scheduled to travel to Australia next month for the five-Test Ashes series beginning December 8 at The Gabba in Brisbane. Also Read - T20 World Cup 2021: Eoin Morgan Willing to Drop Himself From England T20 Squad, Says Will Not Come in Way of Team Winning Title

Sydney, which is in New South Wales, “will become the first Australian state to permit fully vaccinated travellers from next month with no quarantine for those testing negative for Covid-19, leading the ECB to explore the possibility of starting in Sydney — a proposal that had the enthusiastic backing of the players,” dailymail.co.uk said in a report on Wednesday.

“During talks with Cricket Australia however, it was concluded that the change could lead to added complications with fears over the tourists getting stuck in New South Wales due to other states’ strict border controls without having undergone quarantine — a prospect that could derail the entire tour,” the reports added.

With the ECB proposal being stonewalled, the Ashes will begin as scheduled at The Gabba in Brisbane on December 8. The cricketing circus will then move to Adelaide then Melbourne and Sydney.

Though the fifth and final Test is scheduled at Perth, strict 14-day quarantine protocols in Western Australia could force CA to move the match to Sydney, which could mean back-to-back Tests at the SCG.

https://www.india.com/sports/cricket...ydney-5061889/

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure why CA are over-complicating things by not hosting the tourists first up in Western Australia and the first test at the Optus Stadium. There's a remote likelihood that the West Australian government will waive off the quarantine requirement on inter-state travel by the time of the fifth test.

It makes too much sense to shift the Brisbane test with the one at Perth.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Lyon hopes that Stokes will play in the Ashes.

It appears that the all-rounder’s finger is better.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58991999

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    David Warner makes bold prediction, says Australia to win Ashes 4-0

With the much-anticipated Ashes series getting closer, Australia opener David Warner made a bold prediction, saying that the hosts will win the series 4-0 against rivals England

Veteran opener David Warner feels Australia should win the Ashes series with England 5-0 but would like to give some concession to weather and other things and predicted a 4-0 victory for the hosts.

Warner, who is going through a wretched run of form with the bat and was dropped by Sunrisers Hyderabad for their last six matches of IPL 2021 in the UAE, said just like former pacer Glenn McGrath's famous prediction, he believes Australia should whitewash England in the upcoming series starting with the first Test on December 8.

"Look, I'm almost a trademark for headlines, 'ren'" I?" Warner told the SEN radio station from Dubai.

"It's going to be a challenge. Glenn (McGrath) loved a five-'il. I'll say four-nil. There has to be some give with weather around, s"rely," said Warner, who turned 35 on Wednesday.

Warner, who will open the innings for Australia against Sri Lanka in the T20 World Cup on Thursday, was not worried about his form and said he is at his best when fighting with his back to the wall.

"For my sake,'I think I'm best fighting when I'm up against the wall. From my perspective, I always respect where I am with my game. For the last 18 months, 'here hasn't been much continuity, due to the pandemic.

"(Just) trying to get back-to-back games, when we're so used to playing series after series," Warner said.

After being dropped by Sunrisers Hyderabad, Warner scored 14 runs in the first match against South Africa. In the two warmup matches, he had scores of 1 and zero.

Via https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...ashes-4/827341

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassaan HS View Post
    I would have agreed with Warner, but Stokes is back and suddenly it looks more even. With Wood and Robinson they have a much more capable attack for Australia than the last tour. Root is in towering form too.

I think England have a great chance at Adelaide in the second test.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I would have agreed with Warner, but Stokes is back and suddenly it looks more even. With Wood and Robinson they have a much more capable attack for Australia than the last tour. Root is in towering form too.

I think England have a great chance at Adelaide in the second test.
    Your prediction?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hassaan HS View Post
    Australia scared already.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The return of Ben Stokes was very much unexpected and is a huge bonus for England. My prediction nevertheless remains the same: 3-1 to Australia.

England will have their day in the sun out there and grab an enjoyable Test win, but the better team in these conditions will win the series over five matches.

Even a drawn series would be a fantastic result for England.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I generally usually support Australia in the ashes but have switched to cheering on England in both football and cricket.

I think I picked the wrong time to change as these Ashes look very one sided.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    I generally usually support Australia in the ashes but have switched to cheering on England in both football and cricket.

I think I picked the wrong time to change as these Ashes look very one sided.
    Why did you switch? LOL.

Guess what? I also started to like England after 2015. They are a more likeable team now than Australia.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    5-0 Australia. Warner is being too kind. England got beaten even in the home season. No chance down under even with this full strength squad. As long as we have good weather throughout that is .
    Last edited by Nikhil_cric; 28th October 2021 at 19:47.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Why did you switch? LOL.

Guess what? I also started to like England after 2015. They are a more likeable team now than Australia.
    I was born in Scotland so generally always disliked England in sports anyway haha. Nowadays I spend more time in the North of England so have grown quite affectionate towards people from those parts and I guess its a sense of becoming more British Pakistani rather than just Scottish Pakistani

But growing up, both the England Cricket and Football teams were full of whiners and excuse makers. I also grew up at a time when from a cricketing perspective many of my uncles etc harboured a dislike for English Cricket due to the ball tampering allegations and racist media.

Nowadays English sporting teams are among the most diverse, good spirited, tolerant and likeable bunch of sportsmen in world sports. Gone are the days of whining and moaning with random excuses and they are more reflective and humble.

It also helps that the cricket team has some great role models and top class players.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    Your prediction?
    Like @James I say 1-3 Australia. We can win at Adelaide but I don’t see where else. A double ton from Root will draw another match. Or maybe it will be 1-2 if he really runs amok.

So much depends on Robbo and Wood firing. They must get the new ball.