Replacements for India’s Fab 5, and the future of India post their retirement


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 57 of 57
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    868
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Replacements for India’s Fab 5, and the future of India post their retirement

    These 5 have led India to the top in international cricket (Test & LOIs)

    Having seen the recent form of Kohli, Shikhar, Rahane and Pujara made me think about the future

    All 5 are on the wrong side of 30s

    Rohit - 34
    Dhawan - 36
    Kohli - 33
    Pujara - 33
    Rahane - 33

    Rahane and Pujara, I assume will be gone in the next 12-24 months

    Whereas the other 3 will be gone in the next 3 years

    Not like India don’t have the replacements, they do. They’ve at least 8 - 10 batsmen ready to replace them. But the question is about replacing such giants, especially replacing the trio of Rohit, Shikhar and Kohli is close to impossible

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    868
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it’s high time Rahul stamps his authority in all 3 formats . He has the attitude, technique and the experience for it.

    He can also be the future all format captain

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    3,221
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India's future batting line up in tests should be something like below:

    KL Rahul
    Prithvi Shaw
    Yash Jaiswal
    Virat Kohli (c)
    Shubhman Gill
    Rishabh Pant (wk)

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    7,504
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If Misbah can be appointed India’s coach, I am sure India can get at least 7-8 years more out of these players.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The replacements are ready but seniority culture isn't helping their case. You have to go step by step.

    The Step 1 is as follows:-

    Drop Pujara and Rahane and bring Gill and Vihari.

    Rahul
    Rohit
    Gill
    Kohli(c)
    Vihari
    Pant(wkt)


    Step 2:-

    Rahul becomes test captain and Gill takes the no.4 spot and a couple of younger guys like Paddikal and Shaw joins the XI.

    Rest are ready for their slots. Axar( home) and Washington ( we will need a batting A/R overseas) are ready for Jadeja's slots. It is too early to make a pictorial representation of 5 years later from now but for a start, we must look to pick this batting lineup more regularly.

    Rohit
    Rahul
    Gill
    Kohli
    Vihari
    Pant(wkt)

  6. Google Ad Manager-
  7. #6
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    22,668
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    "Fab" 5?

    Come on.

  8. #7
    Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    868
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    "Fab" 5?

    Come on.
    You missed “India’s”

    These 5 are the ones who are THE leading batsmen over the years

  9. #8
    Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    3,389
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Pujara will be gone by the end of this series.

    Rahane will stay unless he plays in a more stupid fashion compared to his dismissal yesterday.

    Kohli's spot will remain unchallenged for a few years, even if this lean patch goes on for longer.

    Rohit would have gotten a 50+ if he didn't play that hook.

    Rahul looks solid, but consistency is what I want to see from him. Let's see if he can churn out the runs this series, and not play like Shan Masood.

  10. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    894
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babar_Azam_fan View Post
    These 5 have led India to the top in international cricket (Test & LOIs)

    Having seen the recent form of Kohli, Shikhar, Rahane and Pujara made me think about the future

    All 5 are on the wrong side of 30s

    Rohit - 34
    Dhawan - 36
    Kohli - 33
    Pujara - 33
    Rahane - 33

    Rahane and Pujara, I assume will be gone in the next 12-24 months

    Whereas the other 3 will be gone in the next 3 years

    Not like India don’t have the replacements, they do. They’ve at least 8 - 10 batsmen ready to replace them. But the question is about replacing such giants, especially replacing the trio of Rohit, Shikhar and Kohli is close to impossible
    The fab 5? lol

    Dhawan can't even find a place in the test side, Rohit is a great ODI batsman but barely average in tests, Pujara is not an ODI bat and Rahane has never been good enough.

    Kohli is the only "fab" batsman out of the lot and he is a once in a generation type talent so is irreplaceable.

    As for the 8-10 batsmen who are ready, who are these?

  11. #10
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    7,646
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    india will always produce batsmen, and this fab 5, kohli notwithstanding, is inferior to historic indian top 6s since the mid 90s when dravid and ganguly showed up anyway.

    the real problem for india is ashwin and jadeja, who contribute the most to making india unbeatable at home are almost 35 and 33 respecitively, they still have some time left but i dont see any replacements for either.

    secondary issue is bumrah, shami and sharma are both 30+. india will have far more bowling issues in 5 years time than batting imo.

  12. #11
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    35,463
    Mentioned
    988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    The replacements are ready but seniority culture isn't helping their case. You have to go step by step.

    The Step 1 is as follows:-

    Drop Pujara and Rahane and bring Gill and Vihari.

    Rahul
    Rohit
    Gill
    Kohli(c)
    Vihari
    Pant(wkt)


    Step 2:-

    Rahul becomes test captain and Gill takes the no.4 spot and a couple of younger guys like Paddikal and Shaw joins the XI.

    Rest are ready for their slots. Axar( home) and Washington ( we will need a batting A/R overseas) are ready for Jadeja's slots. It is too early to make a pictorial representation of 5 years later from now but for a start, we must look to pick this batting lineup more regularly.

    Rohit
    Rahul
    Gill
    Kohli
    Vihari
    Pant(wkt)
    Rahul is not captaincy material.

    If the captain is not good, games will drift.

  13. #12
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    4,049
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We won't have any problems in replacing Dhawan. Quite sure about it.
    Rahane has always been inconsistent, no problem in replacing him too.

    Kohli will continue playing, you don't get players like every decade.

    Rohit is doing well and will be there till 2024.

    Pujara will be difficult to replace as he was a clutch performer and made us unbeatable at home.

  14. #13
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,416
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rahane is still playing as a captain. Pujara and Rahane should be gone after this WTC

  15. #14
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,416
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t understand why poor Vihari is dropped

  16. #15
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,049
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post
    india will always produce batsmen, and this fab 5, kohli notwithstanding, is inferior to historic indian top 6s since the mid 90s when dravid and ganguly showed up anyway.

    the real problem for india is ashwin and jadeja, who contribute the most to making india unbeatable at home are almost 35 and 33 respecitively, they still have some time left but i dont see any replacements for either.

    secondary issue is bumrah, shami and sharma are both 30+. india will have far more bowling issues in 5 years time than batting imo.
    Spinners play longer in Test cricket than Fast bowlers especially in Subcontinent. Kumble played till 38 and Herath played till his 40s.
    And we already have replacement for Jadeja in Aksar Patel who ran through England in India.
    We would face more problems in replacing our fast bowlers imo.

  17. #16
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    Rahul is not captaincy material.

    If the captain is not good, games will drift.
    I agree. I do believe that Test captaincy is different from LOIs and whatever we have seen of KL is only in LOIs but naturally, he doesn't seem to enjoy responsibility so it is better to look for some other option as captain than KL.

    But first change is that Rahane has to go and that should keep Pujara on toes too.

  18. #17
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    780
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli rates Vihari a lot. To me he has not shown the excitement and belief Kohli has in him.

    His best innings in international cricket was due to being restricted from me torso tendencies by an Injury

  19. #18
    Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    479
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli, Rahane and Pujara all seem like fit individuals who take their health seriously. I think they'll be around for another 4 years and still good.

    Rohit probably enjoys a paratha or two though.

  20. #19
    Debut
    Oct 2021
    Venue
    Nagpur
    Runs
    227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kohli-Gill
    Rohit-Shaw
    Dhawan-Padikkal

    We have likes of Gaikwad, Jaiswal, Pant, Iyer, Samson, Kishan and many more will come in future..
    No worries in batting department but need to find replacement for Ashwin and Shami.

  21. #20
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    11,634
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think jaiswal is really promising seen him in the last 19s world cup he looked good.

    From what I seen from Shaw he looks to erratic for tests
    Gill seems better in tests.


  22. #21
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,142
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rahul (c)
    Shaw
    Jaiswal
    Gill
    Ruturaj
    Pant (wk)

  23. #22
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    For the start, drop Rahane and Pujara.

    Rohit
    Rahul
    Gill
    Kohli
    Vihari
    Pant(wkt)

  24. #23
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    2,834
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem is that all the upcoming batsman are top order batsman ,we need to find middle lower order batsman for limited over cricket . Shaw, Gill ,Paddikal ,Jaiswal and Gaikwad all are top order batsman
    Last edited by Devadwal; 20th November 2021 at 10:57.

  25. #24
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,142
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devadwal View Post
    Problem is that all the upcoming batsman are top order batsman ,we need to find middle lower order batsman for limited over cricket . Shaw, Gill ,Paddikal ,Jaiswal and Gaikwad all are top order batsman
    Gill will most definitely drop down to the middle order I think, like be bats for Punjab. Shaw I think he simply doesn't have enough technique to survive as an opening batsman, but he's too good of a batsman to not pick in Test cricket. I wouldn't mind Shaw at no.5 tbh.

    If I had my way with the team, I would have Rahul and Gaikwad as openers, as opening is a hugely important position in Test cricket. I think Jaiswal would do a Pujara like role imo, technically pretty organised. Gill will occupy the Kohli spot and no.5 should be one of Shaw or Iyer. Devdutt can also be considered if he shows improvement in first class cricket, which he hasn't shown till now.

  26. #25
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    7,399
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Except Kohli and to an extent Pujara none of them are fab.

    Rohit and Rahane will drop out first from tests. Fitness and form will plague them.

    I don't know why Rohit has opted out of tests against NZ at home. They are WTC winners...

  27. #26
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    8,486
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think Kohli and Pujara might stick to tests for more time, But pujara needs to show some form and right now going through a lean patch..

    Im sure Rahul a more dynamic batsman will take his no.3 soon..

    Gill started as an opener and he will go a long way.. Not easy for a youngster to score runs as opener in Aus

    Gaikwad might come in as the other opener.. Players to replace Rahane is empty and only Hanuma Vihari is there at the moment..

    No.5 , cant think who can take that spot.. May be Jaiswal will be tried first i guess.

  28. #27
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,049
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AamchiMumbaikar View Post
    Except Kohli and to an extent Pujara none of them are fab.

    Rohit and Rahane will drop out first from tests. Fitness and form will plague them.

    I don't know why Rohit has opted out of tests against NZ at home. They are WTC winners...
    NZ didn’t win WTC by playing well in India. They last won a test in India in 1988! Their last two series in India were Whiewashes. We don’t need Rohit to win a Test against Newzealand in India.

  29. #28
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    15,944
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rahane fab 5? lol One of the worst player to have played 50 plus tests.

  30. #29
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    10,150
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fab 5? More like fab 1 and that is Kohli who has consistently scored runs in all conditions. Even he is totally past it now.

  31. #30
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,407
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fab 4 or Fab 5 is more of a marketing term and like this thread for pointless discussions. I would prefer having match winners rather..

    Rishabh pant who was not rated much before won india a test series in Australia
    Thakur and WS turned up against odds to win a game in Australia

    So India would be better off with finding these type of match winners. Decent openers and middle order will do

    But if someone still interested, I don't think India will have any problem to find replacements

  32. #31
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    10,150
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Rahane fab 5? lol One of the worst player to have played 50 plus tests.
    Talking of Rahane, it's astonishing to see how far he has fallen from those lofty heights when he consistently used to be our best away batsman.

    What do you think made him so mediocre over last 3-4 years? Age, slowing reflexes, lack of good test match techniques, being found out, concentrating on T20s despite knowing he is not made for the slam bang variety of cricket?

    Or may be he was not that good to begin with? Was it just a purple patch which he went through and normal service resumed when it got over?

  33. #32
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    15,944
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MP2011 View Post
    Talking of Rahane, it's astonishing to see how far he has fallen from those lofty heights when he consistently used to be our best away batsman.

    What do you think made him so mediocre over last 3-4 years? Age, slowing reflexes, lack of good test match techniques, being found out, concentrating on T20s despite knowing he is not made for the slam bang variety of cricket?

    Or may be he was not that good to begin with? Was it just a purple patch which he went through and normal service resumed when it got over?
    Lack of ability to take the game to next level. Most of the Indian players atleast have a good record at home. His record at home is abysmal. In the 30s. Being a Mumbaikar, his game against spin is very poor.

  34. #33
    Debut
    Oct 2021
    Venue
    Nagpur
    Runs
    227
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased-Fan View Post
    Kohli-Gill
    Rohit-Shaw
    Dhawan-Padikkal

    We have likes of Gaikwad, Jaiswal, Pant, Iyer, Samson, Kishan and many more will come in future..
    No worries in batting department but need to find replacement for Ashwin and Shami.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnaveen1980 View Post
    Lack of ability to take the game to next level. Most of the Indian players atleast have a good record at home. His record at home is abysmal. In the 30s. Being a Mumbaikar, his game against spin is very poor.
    Rahane was averaging 50 plus after his twin hundreds against RSA on those dangerous spin pitches.. He become extremely mediocre after 2016.

  35. #34
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fab 5, really? Baring Kohli, none has done anything extraordinary in test cricket. And none of them is going anywhere esp with Dravid as coach. BCCI will ensure that Rahane and Pujara will keep getting selected. I dislike Kohli but I do feel that his approach in test cricket was good. Ashwin, Pujara, Rahane none of them will win you anything outside Asia with their bolwing or batting and 2 of them are terrible fielders.

  36. #35
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    19,418
    Mentioned
    840 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali - Pujara
    Asad Shafiq - Rahane
    Coach : Misbah - Dravid

    So many similarities there.

  37. #36
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    555
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Azhar Ali - Pujara
    Asad Shafiq - Rahane
    Coach : Misbah - Dravid

    So many similarities there.
    Few years ago Indian fans and even some delusional pakistani fans refused to accept that BCCI and PCB operating methods are not that different. Talented most people performing in Ranjhi never get a shot in national side but IPLers can get selected any time like that hyped mysery spinner who got tonked like a school boy in WC. Same goes for pakistani players who got ruined by selectors even after performing for years in Quaide Azam cup.

  38. #37
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    8,816
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time I saw this thread. I tonight it might be a thread in the late 00's.
    What fab 5?
    India got just one fab, all format player, Virat Kohli.
    Last edited by Mobashir; 21st November 2021 at 22:13.

  39. #38
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    2,834
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobashir View Post
    First time I saw this thread. I tonight it might be a thread in the late 00's.
    What fab 5?
    India got just one fab, all format player, Virat Kohli.
    Still we won a test series in Australia without any fab as Virat only played 1st test on that tour.

  40. #39
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    3,455
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India's Fab 5 (Sehwag, Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly & Laxman) retired long back.

    People had hoped for Pujara/Kohli/Rahane to replicate the success of Dravid/Tendulkar/Laxman in their respective batting positions, but its clearly too much to ask.

  41. #40
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pujara has been a very good servant for India in Test cricket.

    We owe him the test series win in Australia in 2018 and several home wins including the tough home win vs Australia in 2017. You also have to credit him for showing the guts and resilience when it mattered in 2020 tour of Australia. He looked hopeless vs pace but gave his all to save the Sydney test and win the Gabba test.

  42. #41
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Pujara has been a very good servant for India in Test cricket.

    We owe him the test series win in Australia in 2018 and several home wins including the tough home win vs Australia in 2017. You also have to credit him for showing the guts and resilience when it mattered in 2020 tour of Australia. He looked hopeless vs pace but gave his all to save the Sydney test and win the Gabba test.
    What is this servant theory? He gets paid millions for playing cricket, not doing any favor to the country so pls stop putting these overpaid cricketers on a pedestal. And if a player is going to play for 10 years, he's bound to win a couple of matches, had any ranji batsman given a chance to play 100 tests, he will end up performing in a couple of them.

  43. #42
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    8,816
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devadwal View Post
    Still we won a test series in Australia without any fab as Virat only played 1st test on that tour.
    What was the point of your post and how does it relate to my post that you quoted me?
    Strange thinking!

  44. #43
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    2,834
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    What is this servant theory? He gets paid millions for playing cricket, not doing any favor to the country so pls stop putting these overpaid cricketers on a pedestal. And if a player is going to play for 10 years, he's bound to win a couple of matches, had any ranji batsman given a chance to play 100 tests, he will end up performing in a couple of them.
    Has any past Indian batting legand won any series in Australia ?? Stop being delusional ,he played a part in one of the most important achivement of Indian cricket ever .

  45. #44
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devadwal View Post
    Has any past Indian batting legand won any series in Australia ?? Stop being delusional ,he played a part in one of the most important achivement of Indian cricket ever .
    Defeating a Warner less, Smith less and Paine led team is "one of the most important" achievements only for stupid fans, same ones who think cricketers are servants for their country and give up happiness and comfort to bring smile on faces of these fans, for most others including BCCI chief it was no big deal.

  46. #45
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    15,944
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Defeating a Warner less, Smith less and Paine led team is "one of the most important" achievements only for stupid fans, same ones who think cricketers are servants for their country and give up happiness and comfort to bring smile on faces of these fans, for most others including BCCI chief it was no big deal.
    Not to be picky, but Smith/Warner were not bowlers. Australia still had a great bowling attack in Cummins,Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon. Pujara played a great series. Overall he is pathetic. That i don't disagee with. He is a limited batsman. Had one great series..

  47. #46
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,049
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Defeating a Warner less, Smith less and Paine led team is "one of the most important" achievements only for stupid fans, same ones who think cricketers are servants for their country and give up happiness and comfort to bring smile on faces of these fans, for most others including BCCI chief it was no big deal.
    Didnt India’s C team defeated Australia with Warner and Smith this time around too? And this team managed to win two tests in a series in England which none of our fab five was able to do.

  48. #47
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    19,994
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    What is this servant theory? He gets paid millions for playing cricket, not doing any favor to the country so pls stop putting these overpaid cricketers on a pedestal. And if a player is going to play for 10 years, he's bound to win a couple of matches, had any ranji batsman given a chance to play 100 tests, he will end up performing in a couple of them.
    For the start, Pujara has hit three hundreds in a series win in Australia. He has a test career average of 45 and has been a very very good test player for us.

    Anyone who averages 45 or more deserves a lot more respect than being adjuged as a failure of a cricketer. How many test cricketers in the world from this era are exactly better than Pujara? Are there even 10 for the start? If you are counting the Fab 5 of 2000s as Fab 5, then Kohli and Pujara both have been world class players for India from this era without any doubt. Only Rahane has got free leeway.
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 22nd November 2021 at 11:56.

  49. #48
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolfy View Post
    Didnt India’s C team defeated Australia with Warner and Smith this time around too? And this team managed to win two tests in a series in England which none of our fab five was able to do.
    And so what's exactly your point? Pls read the thread, my point was about how Pujara/Rahane/Ashwin are so massively overrated, how does your argument of India's C team winning against Australia (on back of Pant's heroics), does anything to refute my point? By sarcastically commenting on fab five, you yourself seem to be suggesting the same thing.

  50. #49
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,049
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    And so what's exactly your point? Pls read the thread, my point was about how Pujara/Rahane/Ashwin are so massively overrated, how does your argument of India's C team winning against Australia (on back of Pant's heroics), does anything to refute my point? By sarcastically commenting on fab five, you yourself seem to be suggesting the same thing.
    Your comment was “ Defeating a Warner less, Smith less and Paine led team is "one of the most important" achievements only for stupid fans” and I just replied India beat Australians and this time they had Warner and Smith and we had rookies. And we won not JUST because of Pant, Pujara, Rahane and Ashwin played a massive role in those 2-1 scoreline.
    I am afraid this team already surpassed what fab five did in Test cricket especially overseas.

  51. #50
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    1,398
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    For the start, Pujara has hit three hundreds in a series win in Australia. He has a test career average of 45 and has been a very very good test player for us.

    Anyone who averages 45 or more deserves a lot more respect than being adjuged as a failure of a cricketer. How many test cricketers in the world from this era are exactly better than Pujara? Are there even 10 for the start? If you are counting the Fab 5 of 2000s as Fab 5, then Kohli and Pujara both have been world class players for India from this era without any doubt. Only Rahane has got free leeway.
    Where exactly did i call him/them a failure? I said they are massively overrated. Just because they performed once 5 years back is no reason for them to keep playing forever. Pujara averages 36 outside India after playing 45 test matches abroad. You take that one good series out he had against Australia when he scored 3 centuries against a serious depleted Australian team, and his average drops to 30. I feel any good batsman given the amount of opportunities Pujara has got, would have netted better scores than him. People have the audacity to compare him to Dravid, who's was a serious fab player.

  52. #51
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,049
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Where exactly did i call him/them a failure? I said they are massively overrated. Just because they performed once 5 years back is no reason for them to keep playing forever. Pujara averages 36 outside India after playing 45 test matches abroad. You take that one good series out he had against Australia when he scored 3 centuries against a serious depleted Australian team, and his average drops to 30. I feel any good batsman given the amount of opportunities Pujara has got, would have netted better scores than him. People have the audacity to compare him to Dravid, who's was a serious fab player.
    I think you might be too young to remember Dravid’s struggles in Australia. Like Pujara, he too had only one good series in Australia and against far inferior bowlers than what Pujara has faced.And Pujara have played the best ever fast-bowling Trio that Australia had since ages and won bloody two times unlike Dravid who failed even against the likes of Andy Bichel.

  53. #52
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,407
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Where exactly did i call him/them a failure? I said they are massively overrated. Just because they performed once 5 years back is no reason for them to keep playing forever. Pujara averages 36 outside India after playing 45 test matches abroad. You take that one good series out he had against Australia when he scored 3 centuries against a serious depleted Australian team, and his average drops to 30. I feel any good batsman given the amount of opportunities Pujara has got, would have netted better scores than him. People have the audacity to compare him to Dravid, who's was a serious fab player.
    The series you are referring to, Australia was depleted in batting and their bowling was the best they have, Cummins, Starc, Lyon Hazlewood. So Pujara being a batsman , it does even make any sense. Seriously ?

  54. #53
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,416
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High time both Rahane and Pujara be gone

  55. #54
    Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Mumbai
    Runs
    14
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobashir View Post
    First time I saw this thread. I tonight it might be a thread in the late 00's.
    What fab 5?
    India got just one fab, all format player, Virat Kohli.
    As of now Virat is not even amongst fab 50.

  56. #55
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    197
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Value of pujara will only be known once he isnt there . Ur limited batsman weathers out the fiery bowling spells from high quality fast bowling .

    He is better than Dravid at defense for sure . Overall in test cricket overseas , I rate him higher than Dravid .

  57. #56
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    39,809
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Despite Rohit’s age, is he anywhere near the replacement stage yet? (Appreciate some of the others are) — Rohit seems to be ageing like a fine wine & just getting better and better as a player, particularly in Tests.

  58. #57
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,416
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Averages in last 2 years of the middle order

    Player: 2020, 2021

    C Pujara: 27.5, 33.5
    V Kohli: 19.3, 29.8
    A Rahane: 38.8, 20.3

    Out of 6 records (2 each from 3 players), just 2 records of 30+, once from Rahane in 2020 and once from Pujara in 2021

    Really concerning stats these. Virat needs to start scoring and Rahane needs to be dropped for Shreyas Iyer

    It should be like this

    Rohit
    Rahul
    Pujara (should be dropped after this WTC cycle)
    Kohli * (needs to start scoring)
    Iyer
    Pant +
    Jadeja
    Last edited by Kohli, The King of Chase; Yesterday at 21:57.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •