Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

"In this squad, you will see more impact players" : Mohammad Wasim

Mohammad Wasim speaking to the press:

"Azam Khan has a edge on others, given the issues of lack of power-hitters in the middle-order"

"Asif Ali is considered one of the top batters in Pakistan and we are confident that in such a big event, he will be able to handle the pressure and also perform well"

On Azam Khan:

"To judge someone after 2-3 innings is a bit unfair and he has been selected based upon the role we will want him to play"

"When we speak about openers, Rizwan and Babar are doing a good job so we already have one option; In a squad of 15 you look for players who are multi-tasking such as Sohaib Maqsood who plays in the top-order, and then we also have Mohammad Hafeez who has opened in the past, so we have a few options"

"You cannot say Ramiz Raja had an input in the naming of the T20 World Cup squad but as a matter of courtesy, we shared the names of the squad with him"

"I agree that Haris Rauf has struggled in the recent past but he is a proven match-winner and has helped Pakistan win matches; In terms of death bowlers or when bowling in the last 8 overs, I think he is the number one bowler in the world as his economy rate is the best"

About playing India:

"Our players have played in the UAE a lot so we feel that we have an edge - as far as possibility [of playing India in the final is concerned we are focussing on getting through the first round, but there is no harm in thinking about it as it will make the T20 World Cup a better tournament"

"On paper this squad has no deficiencies, it has power-hitters as well as those who can play sensibly as in can play conventional and attacking cricket; In terms of bowling line-ups, whenever top line-ups are mentioned, Pakistan's name comes up"

"So we have all the tools we need at our disposal and now its about the strategy we use"

"Looking at the fact that our first game is against India, we have kept players who can handle pressure; Of course there is pressure when you play in a World Cup but we have looked at players who are good at handling pressure"

"I am very hopeful that we will have a great start to our T20 World Cup campaign"

Tough decisions as chief selector

"Its very tough, being a cricketer myself, to drop someone from the squad - its a big call but its part of my job but I have to discharge my duties with integrity"

"In this squad, you will see more impact players - even though their averages are low but their strike rates will be high, regardless of whether it is Azam Khan, Khushdil Shah or Asif Ali"

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Wasim today was asked:

"Given that there are changes happening, do you feel that this will be the last team you will announce?"

His reaction:

Name:  7b4f5198-4f0d-4a02-bab8-ad60267fead4.jpg
Views: 1705
Size:  43.0 KB

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Looks like we are picking players because they can hit a 6 or two in domestic or league cricket Doesnt matter if they have failed in all their chances in intl cricket

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fakhar is the biggest impact player in Pakistan with the bat

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I'm struggling to find these impact players.

Also the comment regarding strike-rates is a strange one - look at Khushdil Shah's and Asif Ali's T20I strike-rates.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I agree that Haris Rauf has struggled in the recent past but he is a proven match-winner and has helped Pakistan win matches; In terms of death bowlers or when bowling in the last 8 overs, I think he is the number one bowler in the world as his economy rate is the best"

Really???

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fakhar is a better impact player then the whole squad

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not having Fakhar in the main squad is just a blunder. The rest is fine because we aren’t exactly spoiled for choices.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    Not having Fakhar in the main squad is just a blunder. The rest is fine because we aren’t exactly spoiled for choices.
    Fakhar's average in the UAE isn't great to be honest. Anything can still happen changes can be made if he performs in the ODI series.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I honestly think this is a rubbish squad selected without proper thought.

I think Sharjeel should have at least been in place of Khushdil Shah

Debut
    Apr 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They can still make changes, i confident they will make changes before Oct 15

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    543 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    With the squad selected, one can now wait to see how the NZ & Eng series go.

My prediction, not well.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Haven't seen someone being so bad yet so confident at his job.

Azam, Asif, Sohaib and Khushdil are impact players. Kabhi apni team par positive impact dala hai inho ne?

Fakhar is the only guy who can take on the wrist spinners which we are going to counter aplenty in UAE and he's been dropped.

Can imagine Babar being furious on this squad.

Wasim is a simp for Nawaz and Saud(no disrespect to the players though). Surprised he didn't put Saud in the squad.

Hope he is sent back to domestic cricket.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Asif ali considered one of the top batters in Pakistan

How many chance does he need to showcase that he is a gully mohalla cricketer.
    Again and again selected to show that and his fielding , he is asked to stand in slips.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    So will M Wasim bow down to public pressure and include some of the excluded players before 10th October deadline?

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    So will M Wasim bow down to public pressure and include some of the excluded players before 10th October deadline?
    These selections couldnít be serious, he surely picked these mercenaries as revenge for losing his job in the near future.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didn't think the squad was bad at all. Imad back in and no Malik was a good decision. I agree with this impact players thinking, this is what we lack in T20, we need to make proactive steps in fixing it. Babar and Rizwan are our opening partnership and it seems dumb to tinker with that. Hence we only have middle order places. And given they are both steady and reliable, we need guys to come in and hit.

Fakhar I think could succeed in the middle order eventually. But he hasn't so far when tried recently. It is probably too late to turn him into that middle order batsman before T20 world cup. He also hasn't done that well in T20s even as opener. Sharjeel again an opener, there is no point of messing with such a strong opening partnership when guys like Fakhar and Sharjeel are weaker T20 openers than both Rizwan and Babar.

Asif Ali's SR is way above the rest in PSL, and has been the most impactful batsman in PSL technically. Look at cricinfo's article, Asif Ali is 4th most impactful batsman stats wise after Pollard, Russell and AB de Villiers since 2017. I can see why we are desperate to make something out of him, he strikes at 164 SR in PSL when the rest are 130 something or lower. Khushdil Shah again is seen as a more explosive batsman. I don't agree with Azam I think he simply hasn't done enough to justify performance, but he covers the back up wicketkeeper position too which is why I think he was selected over Sarfraz (who I think isn't part of the future of this team when Rizwan is around). I don't think Azam should ever play except if Rizwan is injured. I would have liked Haider Ali, but it's clear to see he's really struggling with form right now, and maybe they though sending such a young player out of form to T20 world cup was too much.

Hence I don't really see it as a crime to not select Fakhar and Sharjeel as there are no opening spots.

I think the biggest and really only huge mistake in the squad was not selection Usman Qadir. I figured they would go with Imad and Shadab anyway given they have more experience and ability with the bat. I think he should play in the team, but not being even in the squad is surprising.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Wasim speaking to the press:

"Azam Khan has a edge on others, given the issues of lack of power-hitters in the middle-order"

"Asif Ali is considered one of the top batters in Pakistan and we are confident that in such a big event, he will be able to handle the pressure and also perform well"

On Azam Khan:

"To judge someone after 2-3 innings is a bit unfair and he has been selected based upon the role we will want him to play"

"When we speak about openers, Rizwan and Babar are doing a good job so we already have one option; In a squad of 15 you look for players who are multi-tasking such as Sohaib Maqsood who plays in the top-order, and then we also have Mohammad Hafeez who has opened in the past, so we have a few options"

"You cannot say Ramiz Raja had an input in the naming of the T20 World Cup squad but as a matter of courtesy, we shared the names of the squad with him"

About playing India:

"Our players have played in the UAE a lot so we feel that we have an edge - as far as possibility [of playing India in the final is concerned we are focussing on getting through the first round, but there is no harm in thinking about it as it will make the T20 World Cup a better tournament"

"On paper this squad has no deficiencies, it has power-hitters as well as those who can play sensibly as in can play conventional and attacking cricket; In terms of bowling line-ups, whenever top line-ups are mentioned, Pakistan's name comes up"

"So we have all the tools we need at our disposal and now its about the strategy we use"

"Looking at the fact that our first game is against India, we have kept players who can handle pressure; Of course there is pressure when you play in a World Cup but we have looked at players who are good at handling pressure"

"I am very hopeful that we will have a great start to our T20 World Cup campaign"

Tough decisions as chief selector

"Its very tough, being a cricketer myself, to drop someone from the squad - its a big call but its part of my job but I have to discharge my duties with integrity"

"In this squad, you will see more impact players - even though their averages are low but their strike rates will be high, regardless of whether it is Azam Khan, Khushdil Shah or Asif Ali"
    The 2 most impact players Sharjeel and Fakhar are not in this squad. What is this guy smoking to make such absurd claims?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    My concern about this impact is:

4 runs off 2 balls and then out gives you a strike-rate of 200.

The strike-rate is great but 4 off 2 balls and your team loses is hardly making an impact.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Agree Are the likes of maqsood azam, khushdil or asif ali capable of making match changing 50 off 30 balls every third or 4th game?

We havent seen anything in intnl colours so far to suggest anything remotely close

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan should say goodbye to the world cup as well without Fakhar Zaman and Sharjeel Khan. Their one innings at the right time is all you need instead of packing teams with impact players. They are not blind sloggers like Shahid Afridi and his ilk. These two players should get enough batting practice against NZ and be selected for the world cup. They are a must.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fakhar is an impact player he should have been in the squad.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatís the point of these impact players when they will hit one boundary then get out?? Canít afford to have 3 or even 2 of them in this weak line up.

Apart from Babar Rizwan and Hafeez no one is capable of batting properly. Even Imad Shadab and Hasan ali are more useful with the bat than these 3 (khusdil, asif, Azam) which Pakistan have chosen for the middle order.

Absolutely pathetic selection, with these 3 and 4,5,6 Pakistan could easily go from 75-3 in 10 overs which is okay in the uae considering 160 is a par score to 90-6 in 14 overs. Meaning that Imad/Shadab and the tail would be picking up where they left off and would have to go at over 10 and over to scrape their way to 150.

This isnít how teams work. Pakistan seriously need to think about this pathetic squad theyíve chosen which will be badly exposed vs NZ B team and England.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    What's the point of a CS, Captain, Coach if public pressure is going to influence their selections and decisions?

Isn't this what the players complained about in their meeting with Ramiz Raja who asked them why is the team not playing a modern aggressive brand of Cricket like the rest of the world? The fact the PCB, CS, Coach and Captain bow down to public pressure and make changes in the squad without giving their players a lengthy rope and a chance is one of the main reasons for insecurity in the team and why every player ends up playing for themselves, their spots rather than the team because they know if they fail there is no one who has their back.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are certain words in the English language that i wish never made it to Pakistan. Impact is one of them.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Haven't seen someone being so bad yet so confident at his job.

Azam, Asif, Sohaib and Khushdil are impact players. Kabhi apni team par positive impact dala hai inho ne?

Fakhar is the only guy who can take on the wrist spinners which we are going to counter aplenty in UAE and he's been dropped.

Can imagine Babar being furious on this squad.

Wasim is a simp for Nawaz and Saud(no disrespect to the players though). Surprised he didn't put Saud in the squad.

Hope he is sent back to domestic cricket.
    Saud deserves his go in the test format.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hassan Ali is more of a impact player than asif ali

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Agree Are the likes of maqsood azam, khushdil or asif ali capable of making match changing 50 off 30 balls every third or 4th game?

We havent seen anything in intnl colours so far to suggest anything remotely close
    - Moqsood deserves more time
    - Azam to be fair to him has come in late in an innings and hasn't played much yet, however if it was up to me i'd dump him for Sarfraz i guess
    - Asif Ali hopeless i agree dump him for Shan
    - Khushdil a part of me wants him to do good and will be curious to see if he's worked on his off side game otherwise dump him for Ifti

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Saud deserves his go in the test format.
    Like I said I have nothing against Nawaz and Saud. Saud does deserve a go in ODIs and Tests preferably in top 4. Even Nawaz should play when the circumstances and combinations allow. But what Wasim has been doing is his forcefully keeping their competition out so they would get a go. He dropped Imad just so Nawaz could get in first. Then in Zim and SA, he purposely didn't pick another middle order batter apart from him just so he could get in. Unfortunately he got injured there and the "other options" Asif Ali and Danish Aziz ended up playing at 5/6.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Is Shoaib Malik an impact player?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Shoaib Malik an impact player?
    Probably not, it's been a while since he pulled off a real blinder of an international innings.

If he can simply turn 1's into 2's, milk the spinners well and smash the odd 6 down the ground then he's done his job.

It's not impact level stuff but it's a better output than what Azam or Khushdil would have given us. Beggars can't be choosers after all.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Probably not, it's been a while since he pulled off a real blinder of an international innings.

If he can simply turn 1's into 2's, milk the spinners well and smash the odd 6 down the ground then he's done his job.

It's not impact level stuff but it's a better output than what Azam or Khushdil would have given us. Beggars can't be choosers after all.
    There were better options Iftikhar for one Malik hasnt exactly set the national competition on fire has he?

Going back to a 40yr old who was nver a world beater even in his prime is absolutely shocking

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    All this impact nonsense
    All we need is a steady middle order + good bowling and we are in with a chance this t20 wc.

In UAE 160 is a winning score and weve seen us defend 150 consistently against Aus and NZ back in 2018.

IMO everyone is focusing on the batting but I'm worried about the bowling. Bowlers like Rauf are match losers and would rather play wahab as a pacer due to his variations.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The most impact player Sharjeel Khan is not in squad although he is #1 T20 opener of Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Waqar Younis questioning selections for the WT20 squad:

"My question is that Fakhar [Zaman] came from outside as he was not part of the first team. I think he scored 70 odd runs in domestic and we included him in the team on basis of that performance and reduced a bowler. Then what we did is that we dropped a player from the main squad, which was Khushdil Shah"

“Sometimes this pattern can be demoralising for the batters"

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Mohammad Wasim got a lot of stick but for this selection, he needs praise!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)