Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Justin Langer named as Australia new Head Coach, replacing Darren Lehmann

Cricket Australia (CA) has today announced Justin Langer as the new Bupa Support Team Head Coach of the Australian Men’s Cricket Team.

Langer will coach Australia in all three formats of the game and will commence in the role on 22 May, for a four-year term taking in two Ashes Series, a World Cup and World T20 tournament.

The 47-year-old enjoyed a decorated playing career, representing Australia in 105 Test matches and eight ODI matches.

In Test cricket, he scored more than 7,500 runs – including 23 centuries – and was an integral member of the Australian men’s team during one of the most successful eras of all time.

His playing career spanned almost 20 years, in which he played 360 first-class matches and scored more than 28,000 first class runs.

As a coach, Langer has been Head Coach of Western Australia and the Perth Scorchers since November 2012.

He has led the Scorchers to KFC Big Bash League championships on three occasions, the most of any coach, in 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2016-17, and the Warriors to JLT One-Day Cup titles twice, in 2014-15 and 2017-18.

Langer has also been involved in the Australian men’s team set-up on multiple occasions. He was an assistant coach for three years from November 2009, before taking up head coaching roles with Western Australia and Perth Scorchers.

He has also twice been Australia’s head coach on an interim basis, in an ODI Tri-Series in the Caribbean in 2016, and in a T20 International Series on home soil against Sri Lanka in 2017.

Cricket Australia CEO, James Sutherland, said:

“We are thrilled to appoint Justin as Bupa Support Team Head Coach of the Australian Men’s Cricket Team,” Mr Sutherland said.

“Whilst Darren Lehmann was not due to complete his term until next year, we have had a succession plan in place for this role for some time.

“In addition to professional development opportunities, this plan has included several coaches stepping into the head role to relieve Darren at times, and to also provide support roles, including Justin, and forms part of our long running succession planning process.

“The plan has allowed us to consider several worthy candidates, but Justin was the clear standout, particularly based on his recent coaching and player development achievements.

“We firmly believe Justin is the right person to lead this team and have huge confidence in what he will bring to the role.

“As an international cricketer, Justin was a proud and courageous competitor who gave his all for his country. As a coach he has enjoyed success – not only in overseeing strong teams, but also in developing cricketers who are ready to play international cricket for Australia.

“To illustrate this, Western Australia has more nationally-contracted male players than any other state for 2018-19.

“Justin’s work ethic, leadership and values are among his strongest attributes – and he is widely respected across the global cricket community," concluded Mr Sutherland.

Langer will also play a role on the Rick McCosker player review panel, as announced earlier in the week.

Speaking on his appointment, new Bupa Support Australian Men’s Head Coach, Justin Langer, said:

“It is humbling to be appointed as coach of the Australian Men’s Cricket Team.

“I would like to thank the Western Australian Cricket Association and the Perth Scorchers for their support over the past six seasons, and for giving me the opportunity to lead and work with two great teams and many exceptional people.

“I’d like to especially thank my family for being with me on this journey and for supporting me in accepting this position.

“I am very excited about the scope I now have to coach the country that supported me so much in my cricketing career.

“There will be some significant challenges ahead for our group, but there is a wealth of talent in Australian cricket that I know will do us all proud.

“I’m thoroughly looking forward to working with all players, as we strive for a successful men’s team across all formats, with the support and respect of the Australian public,” concluded Langer.

Justin Langer – background

Played 105 Tests and eight ODIs for Australia
    Scored 7,696 Test runs, at an average of 45.27 – including 23 centuries
    Made Test debut in 1993, and played final Test in 2007
    Scored more than 28,000 first-class runs including 86 centuries, at an average of 50.23
    Appointed as Australian assistant coach in November 2009
    Joined Western Australia and Perth Scorchers as head coach in November 2012
    Coached Australia to an ODI Tri-Series victory in the Caribbean in 2016, against South Africa and the Windies
    Coached Australia in a T20 International Series against Sri Lanka in 2017
    Coached the Perth Scorchers to three KFC Big Bash League titles - 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2016-17
    Coached Western Australia to two JLT One-Day Cup titles - 2014-15 and 2017-18

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    National Stadium Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As was expected.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What is this "Bupa support"

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    What is this "Bupa support"
    Sponsors.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    Sponsors.
    WOW. I guess they are sponsors of the team but it seems like they are sponsoring the coach.

Bupa Support Team Head Coach of the Australian Men’s Cricket Team.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Congrats to him, am sure he will do well

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhony View Post
    WOW. I guess they are sponsors of the team but it seems like they are sponsoring the coach.

Bupa Support Team Head Coach of the Australian Men’s Cricket Team.
    I know, I thought it weird too. What's next. Aquafina Water Carrier? 3M Ball Tamperer?

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Good choice. He was a cool customer back in the day.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Republic of Wadiya
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2692 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Good luck to JL going to need it. Wonder if Ponting threw his hat in the ring. Would make one heck of a coach for mine. Maybe few years down the track.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Good luck to JL. He has a huge task on his hands though. This is not going to be easy. The Australian test team has Shaun Marsh who is in his last legs, Usman Khawaja who is inconsistent and then a bunch of inexperienced batters.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Langer was the anointed heir long before the ball-tampering episode because like Lehmann he plays hard and pushes the boundaries of decency.

The fact that Cricket Australia has ploughed on and appointed him tells you that its true attitude towards the tampering episode is best demonstrated by the cover-up of what “leadership group” was involved, rather than the Fake Disgust it started to exhibit to pander to public opinion.

So a coach who has never won a First Class tournament is the new Test coach ahead of Jason Gillespie, who has won two County Championships.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a great choice. Langer comes out as bit of a tool in interviews. Don't think that's what his team needs ATM.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    384 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hopefully he will come good. Will need a big deal of effort to win the WC in 2019 with a new Australian captain.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good appointment. Good luck to him.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Not surprised , he was next in line.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket Australia announces Andrew McDonald as Australian Men's Team Senior Assistant CoachCricket Australia has today announced Andrew McDonald as the Australian Men’s Team’s new Senior Assistant Coach.

McDonald, 38, played four Tests, 95 first class matches, 100 List A games and 93 Twenty20 fixtures in a playing career which spanned 15 years.

Upon retirement from playing, McDonald turned his focus to coaching and guided Victoria and the Melbourne Renegades to all three Australian domestic titles last season. He has nurtured the development of a number of current Australian players and has also coached in the UK and India.

Ben Oliver, CA’s Executive General Manager of National Teams, said McDonald brought with him a wealth of cricketing experience to the role.

“We are excited to have Andrew join the Australian Men’s Team,” Oliver said. “As a player, Andrew was an outstanding all-rounder, tactician and competitor and a popular teammate. And as a coach, he has demonstrated great leadership and enjoyed remarkable success in all formats.

“We are confident our playing group will grow under Andrew’s mentorship. We are also proud that our world-class domestic system is providing a pathway to international coaching ranks.

“We were fortunate to have a strong list of candidates to choose from and I would personally like to thank all those who applied for the position of Senior Assistant Coach along with Cricket Victoria for their support of Andrew.”

Justin Langer, the Australian Men’s Team’s Head Coach, said: “Andrew complements our coaching panel perfectly. I have no doubt his all-round knowledge and man management skills will be a positive addition to our team.

“The coaching success Andrew has enjoyed around the world in a relatively short period of time is testament to his skill, dedication and knowledge of the game.

"He is also a wonderful competitor, which Australian fans saw first hand throughout his career with the national team, Victoria and South Australia, as well as the Renegades, Strikers and Thunder.”

Cricket Victoria CEO Andrew Ingleton thanked McDonald and congratulated him on the appointment.

“Naturally we’re sad to see Andrew leave after completing such a great year for Victorian cricket but we understand his desire to challenge himself at the highest level and have no doubt he will be a significant asset to the national coaching unit,” Ingleton said.

“It’s testament to Andrew’s achievements with our teams that he has been given this opportunity.”

Shaun Graf, Cricket Victoria’s General Manager, said McDonald had built strong foundations for the group.

“Andrew has overseen a fantastic culture within the Victorian playing group, and to see players like Peter Handscomb, Marcus Harris, Aaron Finch, James Pattinson and others develop into national players is a credit to the work he has put in with them at domestic level.

“On behalf of Cricket Victoria, I wish him well on the next phase of his coaching career.”

McDonald’s start date with Cricket Australia will be advised in due course.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Andrew McDonald will be free to start as Australia’s assistant coach for the first Test against Pakistan starting on November 21 with Victoria confirming he will be replaced as their coach next week.

Cricket Victoria announced on Wednesday assistant Lachlan Stevens would take over the men’s team from next Tuesday’s Sheffield Shield clash with Queensland.

It means McDonald can in turn leave and begin as Justin Langer’s national assistant following confirmation of his appointment last week without a start date.

Stevens has been an assistant at Victoria since 2015-16 and was previously Western Australia and Perth Scorchers head coach.

The former South Australian and Queensland batsman will start in an interim role at Victoria, while there is no replacement yet for McDonald as the Melbourne Renegades’ head coach.

“It’s a great chance to work in a different role for the rest of the season,” Stevens said.

“We have a very talented group of players and as coaches and support staff our job is to get the best out of them individually and as a team.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...dd304f4c07e9e5

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The absence of travelling selectors and the use of remote coaching for players has been flagged as part of cost-saving measures for the Australian men's cricket team, with head coach Justin Langer ready to lead a smaller group of support staff on future overseas tours.

But the days of high-profile mentor roles for the likes of Ricky Ponting and Steve Waugh may not be over yet, with Langer seeking "creative" ways to keep legends of the game involved for major series.

On Wednesday, Langer said goodbye to long-time batting coach Graeme Hick from his coaching staff, one of 40 redundancies across Cricket Australia as part of the organisation's cost-cutting response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Langer praised the work of Hick as well as recently departed CEO Kevin Roberts, labelling Wednesday "a really tough day".

He added that cuts to second XI and Australia A matches in the short-term provides an opportunity for Premier (club) cricket and state competitions to play more of a leading role in developing the next generation of players.

The national men's team has traditionally had a selector on duty for overseas tours, but Langer flagged that might not happen for all campaigns in the short term as the organisation looks to reduce expenditure.

"If you'd have asked me 12 weeks or 10 weeks ago, I'd have thought it's nice to have a selector around (on tour)," said Langer, who is part of a three-man national selection panel along with Trevor Hohns and George Bailey.

"For the players, it's nice to see some other selectors around at times.

"But look the way that these technology platforms (have helped) ... I’m sure there's going to be scope for using a lot more of this technology to make these decisions, to talk to the captain, to talk to the senior players and that’ll be a part of it.

"I think there'll be more in-depth conversations to work through actually how this is going to work. So, we're aware of it now and now it's (time) to do our job, to get creative and work out how it's best going to work for the organisation and for the team."

Langer has explained previously how the wide-ranging responsibilities of a head coach has meant coaching his players only took up around 30 per cent of his time, leaving him to put his faith in his support staff to fill the void.

But with cost-cutting set to lead to a smaller group of assistants by his side, the former Test opener is ready to get back on the tools, adding he's confident his players will be able to adapt to the staff changes.

"No one could ever criticise me for not wanting to roll my sleeves up and do some work," he said.

"We will certainly have less staff on the road with us, but the guys will still get great support. Whether it's remotely; as we’ve seen over this COVID period, there's a lot of support that can be given and serviced remotely.

"We'll all survive. We'll be a bit leaner and sharper, that's for sure, but we'll survive, we'll adapt, and the players will still get the service required."

A feature of Langer's time as coach has been his recruitment of former teammates, some of the greats of the modern game, as mentors for high-profile tours.

Former Test skippers Ponting and Waugh joined Langer's staff for the World Cup and Ashes campaigns respectively last year, while Mike Hussey has also worked with the T20 side.

Langer remains passionate about surrounding current players with past greats and hopes to continue to do so, despite the cost cutting.

"How we make that happen in the future, we'll do our best to make it happen because it's very, very important," he said.

"The more good people that we can have around the team, the better. We're just going to have to be more creative and we're going to have to work through solutions for how we can make that happen."

Hick was the most high-profile CA employee to lose his job on Wednesday, the Zimbabwe-born coach having been with the organisation since 2013.

Langer said telling Hick of his redundancy on Wednesday "was like facing Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh without a helmet and a box on", such is his admiration for the former England batsman.

"He's a ripping human being, there's no doubt about that," Langer said.

"You won't meet a person of greater integrity than Graeme Hick. His worth ethic is unbelievable, his knowledge of the game is unbelievable, so it was a really tough call.

"It's nothing that he's done, it's more of an impact of the cost cutting that we're doing because of the COVID situation.

"So it was really hard, as it was to see Kevin Roberts go the other day. You build relationships with these guys and the human side of it kicked in yesterday. Not just with Hicky and Kev but the other cuts that happened.

"It was a really tough day."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/just...-19/2020-06-18

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Langer is a world class coach. Says some weird things at times but he's a world class coach imo.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Langer, Kirsten and A. Flower are the three best coaches in the world (in no particular order).

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justin Langer involved in heated exchange with staff member over video of Bangladesh team's celebrations

Australia head coach Justin Langer was reportedly involved in a heated exchange with a staff member over a video of the Bangladesh team's celebration posted on Cricket Australia's website.

Australian cricket team's head coach Justin Langer has not enjoyed the best of time with the national side as the Matthew Wade-led side recently slumped to a disappointing 4-1 defeat in the five-match T20I series against Bangladesh. Langer was reportedly involved in a heated argument with one of the staff members of the Australian team over a video of the Bangladesh team's celebration posted on Cricket Australia's website - cricket.com.au.

Langer was certainly not pleased with the video being shared on the Australian website where the Bangladesh players were seen singing and celebrating after registering a historic series win over the Aussies. With the 4-1 win in the T20I series, Bangladesh recorded their first-ever series win against Australia across formats.

As per a report in The Age, the Australian cricket team's manager, Gavin Dovey, and Langer both didn't like the video being shared on the Australian website. It was Dovey, who first raised the issue with the staff manager and argued that it was not right for the website to feature a Bangladesh song. However, the staff member reportedly refused to take down the video and Langer had to intervene.

Dovey told Langer about the incident and the Australian coach then got involved in a heated argument with the staff member. Dovey later confirmed that there was a disagreement on a particular matter within the Australian setup and that the instance should have been dealt with in private.

“A healthy team environment includes the ability to have honest and frank discussions, whether it be between players, support staff, or others within the team environment, which was the case here. There was a difference of opinion and we agreed to disagree on a particular matter. In hindsight, it was one of those instances which should have taken place in private. I take full ownership of that," Dovey was quoted as saying by The Age.

Australia were bundled out for a paltry total of 62 runs in the final fifth T20I against Bangladesh on Monday, recording their lowest ever total in the history of T20Is. The Aussies succumb to a humiliating 60-run defeat in the game, failing to chase a low-key target of 123 runs to continue their woeful run in the series and lose 4-1.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...rations/797985

Virat Kohli is a modern day legend: Viv Richards

Debut
    Mar 2003
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a while it has felt like time for Langer to go but Aussies these days aren’t as ruthless as they used to be.

Still remember when World Cup winning captain Steve Waugh was dropped in 2002 after one half decent series! Turned out to be a mighty fine decision too

Debut
    Aug 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A pathetic coach who is taking Australia to new lows.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel Australia have regressed under Langer.

Things were better under Lehmann.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Nick Hockley, Cricket Australia’s CEO, said:

“Justin (Langer) has done an incredible job in raising the culture, values and behaviours of the Australian men’s team since he took on the role in 2018. His efforts have restored public faith in the national team which is a side all Australian’s can be incredibly proud of.

“He is contracted as Head Coach through to the middle of next year with the focus now on a successful T20 World Cup campaign followed by the home Ashes defence in what is one of the most anticipated Series and summers of cricket in Australia for many years.

“Like many in the community and around the world the team has had an extremely disruptive and challenging 18 months during the pandemic. Despite those challenges the side has had great success in One-Day, Test and T20 cricket, when all players were available.

“Justin, his coaching staff and the leaders within the team have an equally important part to play in ensuring a successful summer ahead for the Australian cricket team.”

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grumpy Coach: How Langer’s volatile approach is wearing Australia down

There are few people I admire more in Australian cricket than Justin Langer, both as a player and statesman, but I struggled to work with him as national coach.

I filled in as Cricket Australia’s men’s team media manager in 2019 during part of the World Cup and Ashes in England then the Twenty20 series in Australia during a six-year stint in a joint Cricket Australia-Cricket NSW role as a senior communications manager.

I later found Langer had been dealing with health issues related to his inner ear, but I quickly learnt to stay out of his way. You were never certain whether your question was going to be met with an answer or an explosion.

An early inquiry to support staff about how best to handle the situation had a simple answer: “It’s our job to de-stress the coach.”

Even a simple post on the player and support staff group chat letting them know of a particular issue that had been brought up in the media could elicit a rebuke.

I consulted support staff and communicated with Langer through short WhatsApp messages where possible. Anything to avoid direct conversations.

Some players didn’t like walking past Langer’s seat on the team bus lest they prompted a negative response. If things weren’t going well, the odd player would ask,“How’s the grumpy coach?”

Most baffling was Langer’s sudden obsession with things that, to me, didn’t seem to matter. Two days out from the beginning of the 2019-20 international summer, heading into a long-forgotten Twenty20 series against a modest Sri Lankan side, Langer decided that, despite an $800 million television deal with Fox, players would no longer be allowed to be miked up on the field.

Apparently, Glenn Maxwell had once dropped a simple catch because, Langer thought, he had been distracted by a conversation with TV commentators.

It became an issue at the team meeting leading into the series. When I pointed out that players had been miked up throughout his multiple title-winning seasons as coach of the Perth Scorchers in the Big Bash, he replied: “I don’t give a rats about domestic cricket.”

In desperation, I asked the players who didn’t want to wear a microphone. Most put their hands up. Who did? Maxwell is the only player who raised his hand. Langer shook his head.

Fearing the implications for the broadcast deal, I arranged a meeting with Cricket Australia’s broadcast staff, Fox and Langer. A solution was found on the eve of the first match, with players talking to spider cam when it dropped down during breaks.

What was all the fuss about? And why so close to the start of the season?

An hour before the first match, as players were warming up on Adelaide Oval and Mark Howard was dodging fast bowlers doing pre-match interviews for Fox, there was a roar in my left ear.

Startled, I looked around. There was Langer, steely-eyed and square-jawed. I quickly looked to see if a Fox cameraman or cable had got in the way of a warm-up drill, but could see nothing untoward.

“What’s that?” Langer roared again, pointing over his shoulder. “We’ve got to play these blokes in an hour!”

The video screen next to the Adelaide Oval scoreboard was showing highlights of Sri Lankan captain Lasith Malinga, bowling batsmen with his trademark slinging, swinging yorkers.

“[With Langer, you] were never certain whether your question was going to be met with an answer or an explosion.”

Malcolm Conn
    I had another quick look around the ground but no one was paying attention to the screen. They were too busy watching cricket balls flying around during warm-ups. I went off to look for whoever was in charge of screen output, but could not help wondering whether there might be more important things to worry about going into the first match of the summer.

Like many of these minor incidents, Langer’s latest blow-up at a Cricket Australia digital journalist during the recent tour of Bangladesh is nothing in isolation, but contributes to a pattern of erratic behaviour.

The digital journalist was castigated in clear view of the squad by team manager Gavin Dovey because cricket.com.au — controlled by Cricket Australia but run as an international cricket news site — had posted a video of Bangladesh celebrating their series victory over Australia. Dovey later admitted he could have handled things better.

Resolve Langer issue once and for all: Gilchrist
    When Langer found out, he marched over to the journalist and told him to be very careful, or words to that effect. It was schoolyard stuff which in another setting could have become an HR matter. At the very least it was completely unnecessary and again, a long way from an incident worth worrying about when your team is 3-0 down with two matches to play.

I’ve known Justin Langer most of his cricketing life. As a cricket writer, I covered his debut when he made a courageous half century against the West Indies in early 1993, wearing a blow on the helmet from fast bowler Ian Bishop at his peak under a dark Adelaide sky.

I admire the way he fought for eight years to establish himself as half of the most successful opening partnership in Australian history with Matthew Hayden.

Tearaway teenager keen to show express pace against India
    And his standing as a statesman was pivotal to restoring trust with the Australian public when he was appointed as coach to pick up the pieces after the ‘Sandpapergate’ meltdown in South Africa three years ago.

But players are being worn down by the volatile, high-stress environment he inhabits as coach, and his folksy, clichéd motivational homilies.

As one player told the Herald and The Age: “It becomes draining and affects everything.”

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...mpression=true

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This grumpy coach article has put Langer in a pretty poor light. If his style of coaching is draining players and the staff then surely something worth looking at by ACB.

Along with many other things pointed out this one stands out for me:

“[With Langer, you] were never certain whether your question was going to be met with an answer or an explosion.”

Then a player’s point of view:

As one player told the Herald and The Age: “It becomes draining and affects everything”

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Australia's white-ball captain Aaron Finch recently played down the rumours of a rift between head coach Justin Langer and players in the side. Langer has had a troublesome time as the head coach of the Australian side in the last few months amidst the team's poor show against the likes of West Indies and Bangladesh.

Australia was thrashed 4-1 in the five-match T20I series against West Indies in the Caribbean which was followed by another shambolic defeat in the five-match T20I series against Bangladesh. The hosts humiliated a depleted Aussie side 4-1 at home to register their first-ever series win against Australia across formats.

Langer's role as head coach has come under intense scrutiny after the team's woeful defeats at the hands of the West Indies and Bangladesh. There have also been rumours of a rift between the head coach and some Aussie players, who are not happy with his coaching style. When asked about the reports of a rift, Finch said he doesn't know the answer.

“It’s a good question, and I don’t know the answer to that,” Finch said on Big Sports Breakfast. “All I’ll say is when you lose, everything is magnified and everything is highlighted," he added.

Finch said losing adds to the mental toll that players are already burdened with having to deal with strict bio bubbles due to COVID-19. The Australian skipper admitted that the team has not been up to the mark in the last few months and that losses can result in players getting burnt out.

“As I mentioned with the players on tour with bubble fatigue and guys not having any escape while you’re on tour, you’re locked into cricket mode almost 24/7 because you can’t get out and go for a coffee down the road or you can’t go out for dinner somewhere else," said Finch.

“You’re literally just confined to the hotel 24/7. When you’re just around cricket the whole time, that can consume you so you get a little bit of burnout from that as well. And when you’re losing that just adds multiple layers to it as well. As everyone knows in sport, wins and losses are what counts and unfortunately, we haven’t been up to the mark in the last eight-ten months," he added.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...-langer/800588

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Nick Hockley, Cricket Australia’s CEO, said:

“Justin (Langer) has done an incredible job in raising the culture, values and behaviours of the Australian men’s team since he took on the role in 2018. His efforts have restored public faith in the national team which is a side all Australian’s can be incredibly proud of.

“He is contracted as Head Coach through to the middle of next year with the focus now on a successful T20 World Cup campaign followed by the home Ashes defence in what is one of the most anticipated Series and summers of cricket in Australia for many years.

“Like many in the community and around the world the team has had an extremely disruptive and challenging 18 months during the pandemic. Despite those challenges the side has had great success in One-Day, Test and T20 cricket, when all players were available.

“Justin, his coaching staff and the leaders within the team have an equally important part to play in ensuring a successful summer ahead for the Australian cricket team.”
    Strange statement.

Usually performances and results show if a coach is doing a good job.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ‘Stabbing him in the back’: Khawaja slams Aussie dressing room leaks, busts Langer myth
    Khawaja has his say on Langer

Justin Langer has found a staunch supporter from an unlikely source in Usman Khawaja, who believes the man that played a key role in his Australia axing should see out his contract.

The Australian coach is feeling the heat ahead of the T20 World Cup and Ashes amid dressing room leaks about his intensity and mood swings that have some players on edge.

Years earlier, Khawaja voiced the same opinion directly to Langer in a moment that was captured on Amazon documentary The Test.

Watch India’s Tour of England Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

In the now infamous scene, Khawaja tells Langer that players feel “intimidated” by him and like they’re “walking on egg shells”.

Months later, Khawaja was dropped midway through the 2019 Ashes and hasn’t played for Australia in any format again.

But in a video posted on Sunday to his YouTube channel, Khawaja vigorously supported Langer and strongly denied rumours the pair have an ongoing feud.

In the five-minute monologue, Khawaja praised Langer for his passion and put the heat back onto the players who he says are underperforming and speaking behind the coach’s back.

“How do you think JL feels?” Khawaja said. “He probably feels like the guys in the team are stabbing him in the back, and that’s what it looks like.

“That’s why it’s so disappointing. It’s actually a really bad look. This is something the group needs to sort out ASAP.”

He added: “Let’s put it into perspective here. It’s not always 100 per cent the coach’s fault. The guys aren’t performing, the players have to take onus too at some stage.

“The guys have to perform better and at end of day it’s not just one person, so I think there needs to be some sort of perspective put around this too.”

In a separate chat with Fox Sports News, Khawaja said he “feels for” Langer and that it has been “disappointing” to see players leak information instead of confronting the coach.

“At the end of the day I’ve always been big on if you’ve got an issue, you go up and talk to the person,” Khawaja told Fox Sports News. “JL, he’s got one of the kindest hearts in the world. He doesn’t do anything except for the best reasons.”

Khawaja said in his YouTube video that there’s an issue in the dressing room, but is confident Langer will address it and work on himself to create a happier environment.

He said that Langer’s greatest weakness is how emotional he becomes — but insisted the emotion is born out of the 50-year-old’s passion.

Khawaja said he believes Langer should be given the chance to lead Australia at the T20 World Cup and Ashes before a decision is made on his future when his contract runs out in mid-2022.

He noted that the pressure on Langer has ramped up in the face of series defeats to the West Indies and Bangladesh, which he believes is “harsh” given Australia was far from full strength.

‘STOP IT RIGHT THERE’
    Speaking about his own relationship with Langer, Khawaja maintains that he shouldn’t have been dropped during the Ashes, and believes he’s still within the best six batsmen in Australia.

Nonetheless, the pair maintain a healthy relationship and share a mutual respect.

“I get asked this question all the time, people have seen the Amazon Test series, ‘Uzzie is out of the team because of Justin Langer’. Let me stop it right there ... my relationship with Justin Langer is really good,” Khawaja said.

“To be honest, I still talk to him, I still text him here and there to this day and that’s because we have a lot of respect for each other.

“People think I got dropped because I spoke up to him, stood up to him and all these other things. It’s actually quite the opposite. I actually feel like I got closer with him and he actually gained my respect and I gained his respect because we had some very open and honest conversations together.

“So let’s just stop it right there. Look, I got dropped during the Ashes. There were two people who dropped me; Trevor Hohns and Justin Langer. So it wasn’t just JL.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket...fbe264332d2bfe

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2636 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Langer is a dead man walking.

He got his job the same way as Misbah - for his playing career and his connections.

But there was never any substance - the job should have gone to Jason Gillespie in the first place.

Langer is viewed as having restored values after Sandpapergate. The reality is the reverse: he and Cricket Australia allowed the four NSW bowlers and Paine to escape scrutiny of their apparent failure to notice that they had been handling doctored balls all day long.

In actual fact, Langer’s own deep-seated intensity has alienated his players from the start, and two home series defeats by an Indian team which keeps losing to New Zealand tell an eloquent tale of a coach whose players neither like, respect nor even listen to him.
    Last edited by Junaids; 24th August 2021 at 00:33.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Langer is a dead man walking.

He got his job the same way as Misbah - for his playing career and his connections.

But there was never any substance - the job should have gone to Jason Gillespie in the first place.

Langer is viewed as having restored values after Sandpapergate. The reality is the reverse: he and Cricket Australia allowed the four NSW bowlers and Paine to escape scrutiny of their apparent failure to notice that they had been handling doctored balls all day long.

In actual fact, Langer’s own deep-seated intensity has alienated his players from the start, and two home series defeats by an Indian team which keeps losing to New Zealand tell an eloquent tale of a coach whose players neither like, respect nor even listen to him.
    How can you compare Langers coaching pedigree with Misbah?

Longer was head coach of Weatern Australia and then Perth Scorchers for 8 years or something.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Australia coach Justin Langer has cleared the air with players while seeking to reset focus to the T20 World Cup and Ashes.

Media reports of player unease about Langer hit a crescendo in recent weeks, prompting Cricket Australia (CA) chief executive Nick Hockley to release a public statement backing the coach to oversee the team this summer.

Hockley and CA chairman Earl Eddings then held a call with on-field leaders Tim Paine, Aaron Finch and Pat Cummins.

Langer, who is contracted until mid-2022, has since debriefed with players.

"We all got a lot off our chests," Langer told the West Australian newspaper.

"I think we are all in a better place now.

"The situation at the moment is very tough but I am confident that I will become a better coach from it.

"When you win, everyone is happy and gets on with things but when you are losing, that is when the finger pointing starts and people look for excuses.

"We have had a rough trot in recent times but we retained the Ashes only a little while ago and were ranked No.1 in Test and T20 cricket not that long ago. Get back to winning and you won't hear about anything else."

It comes a week after Usman Khawaja declared Langer is the right man to coach Australia, lamenting how the under-siege mentor would feel like players "are stabbing him in the back".

Australia's World Cup campaign begins in the UAE on October 23, while several squad members, who have been inactive since the first phase of the IPL, will soon depart for the second phase in the UAE.

It is the second time this year that Langer has sought to address player unease with his coaching style.

Leadership consultant Tim Ford canvassed players' views about Langer and other topics after the 2020-21 summer.

Ford's review was passed onto Langer, who raised the subject as part of a camp on the Gold Coast that preceded this year's T20 tour of the West Indies.

"I left the camp feeling like Superman," Langer said in July.

"I'm not a great coach yet, I'm aspiring to be a great coach.

"I was really honest about that and it was a really, really uplifting two days."

Australia suffered 4-1 T20 series losses in the Caribbean and Bangladesh, with seven players opting to skip the tour.

Cummins remained home with his pregnant fiancée and will also skip the upcoming IPL resumption. Steve Smith cited an elbow injury, but will return to the IPL, as will David Warner, Glenn Maxwell and Marcus Stoinis.

Kane Richardson, Jhye Richardson and Daniel Sams also missed the Windies and Bangladesh tours.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/just...hes/2021-08-31

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The guy with Elite Honesty has been an Elite failure. Australian cricketers are known to be rough and temperamental so another emotional guy being in charge of the team is only going to create further tensions especially with a weak test captain in Tim Paine who seems too bogged down to say no to anything the big guns say or do. Paine even let Smith make the on field decisions in Ashes 2019.

They need a diplomatic and calm guy who can be a peacemaker. After Punter, Clarke tried to be a strict disciplinarian and the whole team started hating him.

Someone like Gillespie or Bayliss would be a much better option.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former Test skipper Michael Clarke believes that current Australian coach Justin Langer will resign after The Ashes, despite still having time left to run on his contract.

Langer has been at the centre of plenty of criticism in recent months, but silenced a few of those doubters during Australia's successful T20 World Cup campaign.

Given very little hope of causing damage during the tournament, Australia ended up winning the tournament following a fantastic win over New Zealand in Sunday night's final.

All eyes are now looking towards The Ashes series against old rivals England on home soil this summer, with the first Test beginning on December 8th in Brisbane.

And despite the success in the T20 World Cup and many predicting a strong series against England, Clarke feels as though Langer will quit after the series despite a contract running through until the recently-announced tour of Pakistan.

“I reckon Australia is going to win The Ashes and JL is going to resign," he told Big Sports Breakfast.

"JL is going to say you know what, I have achieved what I come in to achieve and I’ve copped so much criticism and had so much stick put on me.

"He’s going to say I’ve done my time, come to do a job and get Australia back to No.1 in the world and I have done that and I’m out of here.

"I don’t even reckon he will go to that (tour of Pakistan). I reckon his last Test will be the last Test match of The Ashes series. Australia will win and they will take a new coach to Pakistan.

“I hope I’m wrong – I think Langer is the right guy to be coaching Australia right now. I think he has done an absolutely brilliant job.

"I think with all the criticism, it’s a little bit like Ricky Ponting at the end of his career, where Punter got to a stage where all the criticism finally caught up with him and he said my time is up."

Langer has been in charge of the Australian side since 2018, and during that time has had some success at Test level, including retaining The Ashes away from home in 2019.

The criticism in recent months has centred around his coaching style and his relationship with players, but received some unlikely support from Usman Khawaja, as well as the backing of old mate Matthew Hayden.

As for who will take over the job if Langer does resign, Clarke believes one man will be at the front of the line - but urged Australia to look towards a left-field idea of having two separate coaches.

“Probably Jason Gillespie," he said.

"But I think there is an opportunity to look at two coaches – a short-form specialist and a long-form.

"The only problem with that, is there enough money in the pot for the two coaches to get paid and still do the work?

"Just say it is Test cricket only, it’s a bit like State of Origin and it’s a full-time job. You have to go and watch games, talking to high-performance managers, talking to different states – it would still be a full-time job.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/cric...pyz3c1zcs1bc1v