RP Sanjiv Goenka Group and CVC Capital win bids for new IPL teams for $932 million and $692 million

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RP Sanjiv Goenka Group and CVC Capital win bids for new IPL teams for $932 million and $692 million

Ahmedabad and Lucknow are set to be the two new IPL teams.

CVC Capital for Ahmedabad and RP Sanjiv Goenka Group for Lucknow in IPL 2022.

Rs. 7,000 crore bid for Lucknow and Rs. 5,200 crore for Ahmedabad teams respectively.

==

The IPL 2022 season will comprise ten teams and will have 74 matches, wherein each team will play 7 home and 7 away matches.

==

BCCI announces the successful bidders for two new Indian Premier League Franchises

The Governing Council of the IPL had issued an Invitation to Tender (“ITT”) to acquire the right to own and operate 2 (two) new franchises. Pursuant to the tender process, various interested parties submitted their bids for the new franchises. The bids were submitted by the authorised representatives of the interested parties at Dubai today.

BCCI is pleased to announce the following successful bidders (subject to definitive documentation and other formalities being completed):

1. RPSG Ventures Ltd. – Lucknow (for INR 7090 crores)

2. Irelia Company Pte Ltd. (CVC Capital Partners) – Ahmedabad (for INR 5625 crores)

The new franchises will participate in IPL from 2022 season onwards subject to the bidders completing the post-bid formalities as specified in the ITT document. The IPL 2022 season will comprise ten teams and will have 74 matches, wherein each team will play 7 home and 7 away matches.

BCCI President, Mr Sourav Ganguly said: The BCCI is happy to welcome two new teams from the next season of the Indian Premier League. I would like to congratulate RPSG Ventures Ltd. & Irelia Company Pte Ltd for being the successful bidders. The IPL will now go to two new cities in India viz in Lucknow and Ahmedabad. It is heartening to see the inclusion of two new teams at such a high valuation, and it reiterates the cricketing and financial strength of our cricket ecosystem. True to IPL’s motto of ‘Where Talent Meets Opportunity’, the inclusion of two new teams will bring more domestic cricketers from our country to the global stage. The ITT process included two interested bidders from outside of India, which strongly emphasises the global appeal of the IPL as a sports property. The IPL is proving to be a wonderful instrument in globalising the game of cricket. I am keenly looking forward to IPL 2022.

Mr Jay Shah, Honorary Secretary, BCCI said: It is a momentous day for all of us and I formally welcome RPSG Ventures Ltd. and Irelia Company Pte Ltd. into the IPL fold. We had promised that IPL will be bigger and better from the 15th season and with Lucknow and Ahmedabad, we will take the league to different parts of India. The IPL has established gold standards for leagues across the world and remains a premium event on the sporting calendar as it has grown rapidly in a short span. Despite numerous challenges posed by COVID-19, the 13th and 14th seasons were completed, and the bids prove that interested parties have faith in BCCI and its hosting capabilities. I am thrilled for the people of Uttar Pradesh and Gujarat as the long wait is over and they will now have their own IPL team. My best wishes to the two new teams.

Mr Brijesh Patel, Chairman, IPL said: The level of interest among the interested parties prove that IPL is among the most sought-after sporting leagues in the world. We had bids from different parts of the world and from parties with diverse portfolios wanting to make a foray into the world of sports. I extend my heartiest congratulations to RPSG Ventures Ltd. and Irelia Company Pte Ltd. for securing the rights to operate the two teams. We had a wonderful 14th season and the 2022 season will see a new beginning.

Mr Arun Singh Dhumal, Honorary Treasurer, BCCI said: The fact that winning bids were way above the base price set for the two new IPL franchises is a direct indication of the true value of the Indian Premier League. We received tremendous interest after the ITT was floated with many conglomerates putting their hat into the ring. I congratulate RPSG Ventures Ltd. and Irelia Company Pte Ltd. for placing the highest bids and winning the rights to own the IPL teams. I also thank all the bidders for showing faith in the BCCI and IPL. This is the start of an exciting chapter, and I can’t wait for the big auction to see how the new teams shape up.

https://www.bcci.tv/articles/2021/ne...gue-franchises
    Last edited by MenInG; 25th October 2021 at 21:08.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Adani was third highest bidder.

Rest were not close.

Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expected 7000 cr total for both team but this is unbelievable figures. More than 12000 cr.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a feeling that these corporations will also need to make sure they have a huge purse amount for the IPL auction.

There's no point in spending so much money and not getting any good players.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Eventually IPL is going to expand into a proper 20 team league like football leagues when the Indian economy expands further.

Would like promotion and relegation of these clubs football style.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    Eventually IPL is going to expand into a proper 20 team league like football leagues when the Indian economy expands further.

Lots of interest in buying IPL teams. Only constraint is the window.

2nd richest man in Asia goes empty handed. Glazers too. Billionaires like Jindal Kotal Reddy Mehtas all went back empty handed.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    UP was too big to not have a franchise anyway. It's population alone is close to Pak's population I think.

Would love for the BCCI to build cricketing infrastructure and expand into the north east. Guwahati should be one of the next front runners to get a franchise to represent the north east.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post

2nd richest man in Asia goes empty handed. Glazers too. Billionaires like Jindal Kotal Reddy Mehtas all went back empty handed.
    Glazers don't need any more so good riddance. They own the NFL team where I live, plus Man U. They can't even keep both winning at the same time.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I see cricket becoming football style in the next few decades. Lots of franchise cricket with ICC tournaments like the Fifa world cup and Euros and the odd marquee Test series every few years like Ashes and India/Aus/Eng series.

Traditionalists will no doubt hate this, but cricket will eventually enter into the Olympics and become more of a global game with new countries showing interest in the sport.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're not foolish people to keep bidding without a limit. There's a number they all had in mind and beyond that they felt it's not worth it because they won't be able to make that investment back. So in the end, the two highest bidders were those for whom an IPL team held the most value.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    I see cricket becoming football style in the next few decades. Lots of franchise cricket with ICC tournaments like the Fifa world cup and Euros and the odd marquee Test series every few years like Ashes and India/Aus/Eng series.

Traditionalists will no doubt hate this, but cricket will eventually enter into the Olympics and become more of a global game with new countries showing interest in the sport.
    I hear that almost all bids exceeded 500mn usd. Thats massive.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    They're not foolish people to keep bidding without a limit. There's a number they all had in mind and beyond that they felt it's not worth it because they won't be able to make that investment back. So in the end, the two highest bidders were those for whom an IPL team held the most value.
    Adani was really close 3rd.

Rest were in the $500mn range.

Thing is that there are people out there still, who want to fork out $500mn for a IPL team.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can definitely see a 20-team IPL with two groups of 10, maybe a North Zone and South Zone. Two matches being played everyday at the same time on two different networks so it still ends within 3 months. They could even split the broadcasting rights between different networks like how I think NFL and NBA does.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Will these amounts be paid upfront to the BCCI by these two entities or they represent the cumulative sum of the Franchise Fees to be paid by these two entities to the BCCI over a period of 5-10 years before the fees are waived?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Can definitely see a 20-team IPL with two groups of 10, maybe a North Zone and South Zone. Two matches being played everyday at the same time on two different networks so it still ends within 3 months. They could even split the broadcasting rights between different networks like how I think NFL and NBA does.
    In the short term thats 5yrs from now expect ipl to be a 10 week affair.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Will these amounts be paid upfront to the BCCI by these two entities or they represent the cumulative sum of the Franchise Fees to be paid by these two entities to the BCCI over a period of 5-10 years before the fees are waived?
    To be paid over 10 years. Thats 93mn by one and 66mn by another each year.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing is that there are people out there still, who want to fork out $500mn for a IPL team.
    The valuation is going to rise when the broadcast rights for the IPL are sold next year. I'm sure they all had that in mind going into the bidding process.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    The valuation is going to rise when the broadcast rights for the IPL are sold next year. I'm sure they all had that in mind going into the bidding process.
    Broadcast right tenders to be out within next few days.

Expected to hit $5bn.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Was watching Dr Noman Niaz talk a few weeks ago. He expects the Americans and the UAE authorities to get into the T20 league business and to leave the IPL behind by a big margin given the strong powerful economies they have and the deep pockets of many interested investors in those countries vis a vis India. How reasonable are his claims?

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Was watching Dr Noman Niaz talk a few weeks ago. He expects the Americans and the UAE authorities to get into the T20 league business and to leave the IPL behind by a big margin given the strong powerful economies they have and the deep pockets of many interested investors in those countries vis a vis India. How reasonable are his claims?
    Who's going to watch those leagues? Americans and Arabs?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Why would Harsh Goenka tweet this only yesterday??

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Well the second richest man in Asia worth 75bn usd didn't get a IPL team today. If Noman Niaz thinks that someone will walk in and leave behind IPL just like that well. Good luck to him.

Just FYI all bids in today's auction were in excess of 550mn usd. Thats how valuable an IPL team is.

Btw mr niaz expects these leagues to get Indian players and Indian market? If not then are they willing to run on losses?

Will BCCI not up its game by involving even more billionaires? 9 walked away today empty handed.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post

Because he was not bidding and buying a team yesterday or today.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post

Lulling the potential bidders into a false sense of security maybe

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Can you specify what did he mean by UAE and American authorities?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Lulling the potential bidders into a false sense of security maybe
    He didn't bid today.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He didn't bid today.
    When did he do then?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    When did he do then?
    Never.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Never.
    I don't understand. Didn't he win the bid? Explain

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    I don't understand. Didn't he win the bid? Explain
    No he didn't win.

RPG group was founded by late RP Goenka.

It was divided between his sons Sanjeev and Harsha.

Sanjeev runs RPSG and he bid and won. They own companies like CESC, Noida Power, Saregama, Spencers etc.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No he didn't win.

RPG group was founded by late RP Goenka.

It was divided between his sons Sanjeev and Harsha.

Sanjeev runs RPSG and he bid and won. They own companies like CESC, Noida Power, Saregama, Spencers etc.
    Oh basically it's like the Ambani story.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Insane!!

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    154 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow a team from Gujarat. Finally, a team that I can whole heartedly support in IPL

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Oh basically it's like the Ambani story.
    Ambani was acrimonious. This was very mutual.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    576 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    From a pure business perspective, it wouldn't make sense.

The PSL isn't as financially lucrative as the IPL nor does it have the growth potential to welcome a record-breaking investment based on future returns.

Plus Pakistan is viewed as an unstable hosting country (just look at what happened during the NZ tour), which further devalues the investment.

I can see a path to the PSL firmly becoming 2nd best but the IPL will remain number one. Just the sheer size and growth potential of their market will make sure of that.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Insane amount of Money in India, IPL and BCCI. They must have something unchallenged where Investors are not wasting a second to fork out record breaking sums of money without even worrying about what they will get in return.

Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BCCI confirmed exact amounts.
    Lucknow - 7090 cr
    Ahmedabad - 5625 cr.
    --
    Total 12715 cr INR for both team.

https://www.bcci.tv/articles/2021/ne...gue-franchises

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Insane amount of Money in India, IPL and BCCI. They must have something unchallenged where Investors are not wasting a second to fork out record breaking sums of money without even worrying about what they will get in return.
    Thing is that both Glazers and CVC bid in excess of 550mn usd. That tells how international corporates view the IPL.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats insane money, about the size of a top 10 Premier League club

Anyways delighted to finally have a team from Lucknow. Ekana is a proper stadium

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing is that both Glazers and CVC bid in excess of 550mn usd. That tells how international corporates view the IPL.
    Does this not make you sad though? More money means more months of IPL. The head of StarSports said he was envisioning a 4 month IPL from Feb to May. That would be massive blow to the international calendar and the country vs country format that we all love.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Not enough good players to make it work. There barely enough good players to make it work as an 8 team tournament.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I am still at loss to see where these profits will come from to justify the investments. Even a 5% return needs close to $50m dollars profit and I don't believe any team is making more than $10m and that's being generous.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RexRex View Post
    Does this not make you sad though? More money means more months of IPL. The head of StarSports said he was envisioning a 4 month IPL from Feb to May. That would be massive blow to the international calendar and the country vs country format that we all love.
    that's not going to happen....how can anyone play continuously for 4 months

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn, those are some crazy numbers.

Just to put things in perspective - back in 2008 when IPL was launched - the combined base prices of all the 8 franchises was at around $400 million - which eventually were sold for $723.59 million.

Today just the Goenka's splashed over $900 million for one franchise. The financial evolution has been remarkable.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahee View Post
    PL is played over 9 months. Longer window means relaxed schedule. And money is the best motivator for players.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahee View Post
    From Sanjog Gupta, head of Star Sports -
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @cricketjoshila - can IPL introduce a rule that if you play IPL you cannot play any other league? I think that should be the step if it proceeds to a 4-6 month window.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    IPL will now have 74 games. So no, there is no 4 month IPL.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No other cricketing league can match the greatness of the IPL.

Sehwag and Steyn are the Best.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    I am still at loss to see where these profits will come from to justify the investments. Even a 5% return needs close to $50m dollars profit and I don't believe any team is making more than $10m and that's being generous.
    10mn usd per year profit is not poor considering the fact that the money is to be paid over 10 years.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These are unbelievable numbers. I'm not very sure about this being a success though.

Quality will come down as more teams will mean more players. And surely it will lead to fatigue amongst viewers.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that idiot Sanjog Gupta should shut his mouth first....what does he think of cricketers? players or slaves ? to play continuously for 4 months...the current 2 months schedule itself is really long and boring....Greed of these businessmen knows no bounds and is in fact killing this beautiful game of cricket.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Golden Goose - don't kill it - my advice to the BCCI.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My bid of Rs.11 didn't go thru!

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    CVC will likely sell stake to Adani.

You heard it here first.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Golden Goose - don't kill it - my advice to the BCCI.
    Well, afaik there wont be any more teams for next 5 to 6 years.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    NFL average per club worth is 3.4 billion $
    NBA is 2.2 billion $
    MLB is 1.91 billion $
    EPL is 1.35 billion $
    NHL is 0.9 billion $
    IPL is 0.38 billion $

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AamchiMumbaikar View Post
    NBA is 2.2 billion $
    MLB is 1.91 billion $
    EPL is 1.35 billion $
    NHL is 0.9 billion $
    IPL is 0.38 billion $
    How did you come to the IPL worth?

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy is just repeating what the real maestro laid out for ICC and BCCI in simple terms. Uday Shankar has been a key man in convincing ICC and BCCI to structure cricket in a way which benefits broadcasters which then benefits the boards with higher rights fee. Unfortunately he chose to leave after Disney take over but the guy had big plans for cricket and was trying to get ICC/BCCI onboard for massive change

His quotes from last year

Elaborating on how the game’s finances are dwindling for lack of a more dynamic approach, he says: “Today, there are a lot of cricket properties that are loss-making propositions. There are a large number of matches and tournaments that are held which do not have support.”
    Stopping short of calling the present structure a flawed one, Shankar says he finds “no meaning” in many bilateral series that cricket hosts these days, adding, “they really make no sense”.

As far as the ICC tournaments are concerned, the restructuring is long overdue, and I hope the administrators will not get deluded by the performance of one or two tournaments – like the IPL or the ODI World Cup – and think everything is normal. While a lot of things will come back to normal after the pandemic is over, a lot of things will never come back to normal,”
    He's right in a way. T20 bilaterals still don't carry relevance. They're seen as a building phase for a team for the next WT20. Heck, a tournament like Asia Cup is used as a build up to World T20. So from a fan pov it is just extra meaningless cricket and from broadcast pov it's same expenses to cover cricket but less recovery via ad sales.

ICC, IPL rights are going to end in 2028. So we could see next 5 years being status quo while behind the scenes a major restructuring being planned.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmad-GERMANFC View Post
    @cricketjoshila - can IPL introduce a rule that if you play IPL you cannot play any other league? I think that should be the step if it proceeds to a 4-6 month window.
    Can they? Well there are exclusivity contracts around the world. So yes they can.

Will they? It will have to be a very balanced approach else smaller boards and leagues will get smashed.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Ok so IPL teams from 2018 were making avg profit before tax of around 18 to 20mn usd per year.

This will go up once the TV revenue goes up.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AamchiMumbaikar View Post
    NBA is 2.2 billion $
    MLB is 1.91 billion $
    EPL is 1.35 billion $
    NHL is 0.9 billion $
    IPL is 0.38 billion $
    The years these leagues were established in is needed to add more context

NFL 1920
    NBA 1946
    MLB 1869
    PL 1992
    NHL 1917
    IPL 2008

So not bad. IPL growth should be seen that while MI was costliest team in 2008, around $110 million, today a new team alone is worth close to a billion. that's almost 10x in 13 years.
    Last edited by Cricfan4eva; 26th October 2021 at 14:44.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this rate valuation of already established teams are over 1billion$ ..Who says IPL is a bad buisness ..100 million$ investment @2008 will be fetching more than a billion now ..

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricfan4eva View Post
    The years these leagues were established in is needed to add more context

NFL 1920
    NBA 1946
    MLB 1869
    PL 1992
    NHL 1917
    IPL 2008

So not bad. IPL growth should be seen that while MI was costliest team in 2008, around $110 million, today a new team alone is worth close to a billion. that's almost 10x in 13 years.
    CSK shares trade in the grey market and that values CSK close to 1bn usd.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Ok so IPL teams from 2018 were making avg profit before tax of around 18 to 20mn usd per year.

This will go up once the TV revenue goes up.
    What is your source.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL was already adding 14 billion dollar to Indian economy every year. Now with increased teams and longer tournament is going to add another 25% atleast.
    One obvious risk is spectator fatigue but it might also create some insane craze among viewers.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I also read about this. That CSK was going to become the first Indian sporting team to join the unicorn club or something. I didn't understand, don't the Mumbai Indians have a higher brand value than CSK?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    What is your source.
    Well most of it is calculation from news sources.

Most of the sponsorship deals of BCCI are no secret.
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 26th October 2021 at 22:10.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CSK and MI will be above a billion no doubt. But I think teams like RR, PBKS and such would be more close to half of that, given their lack of success and much lesser fan following.

So average of 400-600 million seems about right.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    I also read about this. That CSK was going to become the first Indian sporting team to join the unicorn club or something. I didn't understand, don't the Mumbai Indians have a higher brand value than CSK?
    Csk MI Kkr thats the ranking. Mostly close to a billion dollars.

Other teams would be around the 550 to 650mn range.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricfan4eva View Post
    CSK and MI will be above a billion no doubt. But I think teams like RR, PBKS and such would be more close to half of that, given their lack of success and much lesser fan following.

So average of 400-600 million seems about right.
    550mn for the likes of RR PBKS..thats the minimum price i believe.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think IPL will ever go for promotion/relegation model. Owners will want a closed league like the American ones. In NFL, NBA, etc, their is no promotion/relegation and therefore franchise valuations always go up and its impossible for owners to lose money, no matter how bad they are. Same reason why in Football their was an attempt to create the Super League.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real money will be made in franchise valuations. A team worth a Billion today could very well be worth 2 Billion in 10 years.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's basically a bet on the Indian economy. If the economy grows , the broadcasting rights money increases and the incomes rise along with the valuation of the team.

But if the economy falls or even stagnates, these teams will quickly go under. The other franchises were bought on the cheap and they have made enough of a return on their investment to go through a few lean years

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
    It's basically a bet on the Indian economy. If the economy grows , the broadcasting rights money increases and the incomes rise along with the valuation of the team.

But if the economy falls or even stagnates, these teams will quickly go under. The other franchises were bought on the cheap and they have made enough of a return on their investment to go through a few lean years
    Thankfully both thess teams have been bought by entities with very deep pockets.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post

Its more to do with consumer spendings

An IPL owner revenue stream is broadcast rights money , Advertising revenue/Sponsorship revenue, Gate money

Broadcasting rights money is constant for all the teams
    Gate money : During COVID and after is not much

Its the Ad revenue that makes the real difference..So if Pepsi wants to sponsor Llucknow team, they will be looking to target the audience who can really buy their product . So its the conversion of Ad revenue and earnings from the products sold based on that sponsor that matters.. Indians buy these products which makes it lucrative to these sponsors to be part of IPL team

on the other hand , Pepsi knows even people are watching PSL , but not that many people end up buying their product , so they will not really throw big sum to any PSL team..

Indians are getting into the zone of higher consumer market spending than Pakistan

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 8.00.12 PM.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  15.8 KBName:  Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 8.00.12 PM.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  15.8 KB

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Well most of it is calculation from news sources.

Most of the sponsorship deals of BCCI are no secret.
    I am not so sure but there is no doubt that big money is being invested.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    The real money will be made in franchise valuations. A team worth a Billion today could very well be worth 2 Billion in 10 years.
    But like the dot.com boom, it has to translate into profits to justify the valuations.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But like the dot.com boom, it has to translate into profits to justify the valuations.
    The former team director of Kolkata Knight Riders Joy Bhattacharjya said it perfectly:

I remember the shock at the first IPL team prices when they were announced in 2008. And the shock over how much Sony paid for the World Cup in 2003 and then the IPL in 2008. These bids for the new teams make sense if your horizon is 20 years.
    Last edited by TNAmarkFromIndia; 27th October 2021 at 13:17.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The former team director of Kolkata Knight Riders Joy Bhattacharjya said it perfectly:
    I take all the points because businesses/men don't pay large figures without expectations. But my point is just like EPL teams people are paying fortunes but little or no profit is actually made.