Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Ravi Shastri steps down as Head Coach of India

Ravi Shastri has signalled his intention to stand down as India head coach after the Twenty20 World Cup and has rejected suggestions his book launch was the catalyst for the fifth Test against England being called off.

Shastri, a former allrounder who played 80 Tests and 150 one-day internationals for India between 1981 and 1982, succeeded Anil Kumble in July 2017 and has overseen two landmark Test series wins in Australia during his tenure.

India were also on course for a first Test series win in England since 2007, holding a 2-1 lead before the final match was postponed on the morning of the first day last week due to COVID-19 concerns within the touring camp.

Shastri hopes to crown his reign by leading India to victory in the next World Cup, which starts in the United Arab Emirates and Oman next month and also marks the end of Virat Kohli's captaincy of the T20 side.

As he reflected whether the end of the tournament is the correct time to step aside from his role, Shastri said in an interview with The Guardian: "I believe so because I've achieved all I wanted.

"If we win the World Cup that will be the icing on the cake. There is nothing more. I believe one thing – never overstay your welcome. And I would say that, in terms of what I wanted to get out of the side, I've over-achieved.

"To beat Australia away and to lead the series in England in a COVID year? It is the most satisfying moment of my four decades in cricket."

The outcome of India's Test series in England is still to be determined after the plug was pulled at the 11th hour at Old Trafford, where the tourists were concerned by a coronavirus outbreak among the backroom staff.

Assistant physiotherapist Yogesh Parmar's positive test was the final straw for many India players, coming a week after Shastri, bowling coach Bharat Arun and fielding coach Ramakrishnan Sridhar were also found to have the virus.

By that time, Shastri was self-isolating in London, having tested positive during the fourth Test.

Two days before The Oval match started, Shastri had attended the launch of his book, an event which has since been blamed for the outbreak in the Indian camp.

But an unrepentant Shastri said: "There were about 250 people there and no-one got COVID from that party. I've not got it at my book launch because it was on the 31 (August) and I tested positive on September 3.

"It can't happen in three days. I think I got it in Leeds (where the third Test was held). I have absolutely no regrets because the people I met at that function were fabulous.

"And it was good for the boys to get out and meet different people rather than constantly being in their rooms. At the Oval Test, you were climbing stairs used by 5,000 people. So to point a finger at a book launch?"

Talks are continuing behind the scenes between the England and Wales Cricket Board and its Indian counterparts about a resolution to the series.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/ravi...mpression=true

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    End of an era with Shastri gone, and Kohli fading away.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He will be back in the commentary box with his tracer bullets.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What shastri step down along with kohli ...now who will be indian next coach??

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Old news. BCCI already looking for new coach.

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    End of the KoStri era...

Beginning of the RoVid era... although it may last no longer than 3 years

Debut
    May 2006
    Venue
    New Delhi, India.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shastri has done a good job except for winning an ICC trophy.

Major achievements

- No.1 test cricket for 5 straight years
    - Formidable white ball team winning both ODI & T20s series in SENA countries
    - Winning away twice vs Aus
    - Wining ( Leading) away once England
    - Streamrolling everyone at Home

Blips
    - Lost SF vs NZ in WC2019
    - lost Final vs NZ in WTC2021
    - Lost to NZ 2-0 away
    - Lost to SA 2-1 away

Last assignment
    -WT20

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    End of the KoStri era...

Beginning of the RoVid era... although it may last no longer than 3 years
    Sound like some virus names

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, Shastri has done good job.

No.1 in Test cricket, winning series in Australia twice, to win in England.
    India also beaten every country in the world in their backyard in white ball cricket.

Just Missing one ICC Trophy.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope to see him back in the commentary box.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oveerall he has been good for our cricket teams.
    He has seen Indian cricket at very close quarters and before he became a coach, he was a constant feature during the opening and closing ceremonies of a match. Loved his presentation skills and wonderful insights.

Expect him to be back at the podium with a mike in his hand now

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    So Ravi is retiring from his non job which involves sitting and watching.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best Indian coach after Gary Kristen. One of the best in the world. Can we rope him in?

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    So Ravi is retiring from his non job which involves sitting and watching.
    .... Well, his sitting and watching yield way more results than those "hard working" ones from padosis lol.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Best Indian coach after Gary Kristen. One of the best in the world. Can we rope him in?
    no chance in reality.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    .... Well, his sitting and watching yield way more results than those "hard working" ones from padosis lol.
    With the talent at his disposal, I could have done the same job.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    no chance in reality.
    he has retired from coaching so thats it then. maybe franchise coaching is all he will do now

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talent is a buzzword not holding much value in the Indian camp. All it does is to get you a glance or two from the selectors and maybe a foot in the door.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Talent is a buzzword not holding much value in the Indian camp. All it does is to get you a glance or two from the selectors and maybe a foot in the door.
    These are just sound bites to make players work harder. When you have the talent, then you can start looking at all the other qualities- there isn't a single player that isn't top notch. After all that,all you require is stability and no brain dead decisions.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    talent toh Pakistan mein bhi bahut hai. We keep hearing that.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was always on the cards when Kohli decided to leave T20I captaincy. Head coach and captain’s relationship is really important and both looked comfortable with each other’s style going about cricket.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Was always on the cards when Kohli decided to leave T20I captaincy. Head coach and captain’s relationship is really important and both looked comfortable with each other’s style going about cricket.
    its the other way round. Shastri had already conveyed that WT20 will be his last. Kohli's decision followed that.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are just sound bites to make players work harder. When you have the talent, then you can start looking at all the other qualities- there isn't a single player that isn't top notch. After all that,all you require is stability and no brain dead decisions.
    Not mere soundbites. Not really.
    Look at Sanju Samson, SKY, Chahal, Chahars who have talent are quie intelliegnt (not taking brain-dead decisons) but still have to perform.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    There isn't, we have produced one decent bat in 20 years and the last top notch bowling was the one that hammered Ind in Karachi in 2006

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Ravi Shastri has signalled his intention to stand down as India head coach after the Twenty20 World Cup and has rejected suggestions his book launch was the catalyst for the fifth Test against England being called off.

Shastri, a former allrounder who played 80 Tests and 150 one-day internationals for India between 1981 and 1982, succeeded Anil Kumble in July 2017 and has overseen two landmark Test series wins in Australia during his tenure.

India were also on course for a first Test series win in England since 2007, holding a 2-1 lead before the final match was postponed on the morning of the first day last week due to COVID-19 concerns within the touring camp.

Shastri hopes to crown his reign by leading India to victory in the next World Cup, which starts in the United Arab Emirates and Oman next month and also marks the end of Virat Kohli's captaincy of the T20 side.

As he reflected whether the end of the tournament is the correct time to step aside from his role, Shastri said in an interview with The Guardian: "I believe so because I've achieved all I wanted.

"If we win the World Cup that will be the icing on the cake. There is nothing more. I believe one thing – never overstay your welcome. And I would say that, in terms of what I wanted to get out of the side, I've over-achieved.

"To beat Australia away and to lead the series in England in a COVID year? It is the most satisfying moment of my four decades in cricket."

The outcome of India's Test series in England is still to be determined after the plug was pulled at the 11th hour at Old Trafford, where the tourists were concerned by a coronavirus outbreak among the backroom staff.

Assistant physiotherapist Yogesh Parmar's positive test was the final straw for many India players, coming a week after Shastri, bowling coach Bharat Arun and fielding coach Ramakrishnan Sridhar were also found to have the virus.

By that time, Shastri was self-isolating in London, having tested positive during the fourth Test.

Two days before The Oval match started, Shastri had attended the launch of his book, an event which has since been blamed for the outbreak in the Indian camp.

But an unrepentant Shastri said: "There were about 250 people there and no-one got COVID from that party. I've not got it at my book launch because it was on the 31 (August) and I tested positive on September 3.

"It can't happen in three days. I think I got it in Leeds (where the third Test was held). I have absolutely no regrets because the people I met at that function were fabulous.

"And it was good for the boys to get out and meet different people rather than constantly being in their rooms. At the Oval Test, you were climbing stairs used by 5,000 people. So to point a finger at a book launch?"

Talks are continuing behind the scenes between the England and Wales Cricket Board and its Indian counterparts about a resolution to the series.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/ravi...mpression=true
    Am glad whats mentioned in bold is put out. So much for thepathetic narrative & conspiracy theorists who jumped up and down about us abandoning the series to protect our 2-1 lead (3-1 actually, but never mind), they can take a running jump into the nearest river.
    Well done Ravi, You've given us some memorable times, some magnificient victories that one can only dream about, and some heartbreaking near misses. all in all, you will be missed.
    Hope you and VK go out with a bang T20 trophy in hand. Cheers and thanks from a genuine fan
    Last edited by CrIc_Mystique; 18th September 2021 at 18:05.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Not mere soundbites. Not really.
    Look at Sanju Samson, SKY, Chahal, Chahars who have talent are quie intelliegnt (not taking brain-dead decisons) but still have to perform.
    That's the luxury you have when you have lots of players to chose from. If you have guys not willing to work or not performing you can drop them. The best thing he has brought is stability but I don't see anything from him that any cheerleader wouldn't brought.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Risabh Pant averages 21 in T20I cricket with SR of 123 which you will agree are completely mediocre stats. At the same time he gets brain fades and falls prey to poor decision making till now. However, why is he still in the team? Selectors, team management have seen something in him, they know what he can do if/when he finds his feet at this level. This is just one example. That “something” can be called talent, potential, spark or any other word and is what teams try to look for in youngsters.

So its wrong to say other teams do go by “talent” or any other word representing the same extra something which I mentioned. Every team does that but, they might be calling it other names. So talent might be the buzzword everywhere but, this idea of seeing something extra in a player exists everywhere and in every sport.
    Last edited by Titan24; 18th September 2021 at 18:10.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Risabh Pant averages 21 in T20I cricket with SR of 123 which you will agree are completely mediocre stats. At the same time he gets brain fades and falls prey to poor decision making till now. However, why is he still in the team? Selectors, team management have seen something in him, they know what he can do if/when he finds his feet at this level. This is just one example. That “something” can be called talent, potential, spark or any other word and is what teams try to look for in youngsters.

So its wrong to say other teams do go by “talent” or any other word representing the same extra something which I mentioned. Every team does that but, they might be calling it other names. So talent might be the buzzword everywhere but, this idea of seeing something extra in a player exists everywhere and in every sport.
    yes and that is what seperates a good coach/team management from an average ones.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its the other way round. Shastri had already conveyed that WT20 will be his last. Kohli's decision followed that.
    Fair enough. This makes sense either ways, their relationship with regards to cricket was complimentary to their overall cricketing philosophies and when one guy decided to hang his boots the other guy decided to take bit of a back seat.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes and that is what seperates a good coach/team management from an average ones.
    Agreed. Every team management is going to search for such players but, a good one is better able to find tge genuine ones and understand when is the right time or development phase of someone in a particular format to bring him in. However, timing is never going to be 100% accurate but good ones are more close to accuracy in general.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why @Saurav and @Itachi are acting so salty. His whole tenure your folks called Shastri a drunkard, bewda, kohli’s yes man - @Bewal Express is only reiterating what i have been hearing from indians fan since the past few years.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not sure why @Saurav and @Itachi are acting so salty. His whole tenure your folks called Shastri a drunkard, bewda, kohli’s yes man - @Bewal Express is only reiterating what i have been hearing from indians fan since the past few years.
    He gets both accolades and criticisms from Indian fans. You only focus on one part.

Forget him,to say that the job is easy due to talent is childish at best.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He gets both accolades and criticisms from Indian fans. You only focus on one part.

Forget him,to say that the job is easy due to talent is childish at best.
    I have never seem you lot praise him but good that you finally have realized his worth now that your board is desperately trying to find a replacement and attempting to sign has beens toxic individuals like Kumble or relics of the past aka VVS.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    709 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hopefully Bharat Arun doesn’t follow , we need him still.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Agreed. Every team management is going to search for such players but, a good one is better able to find tge genuine ones and understand when is the right time or development phase of someone in a particular format to bring him in. However, timing is never going to be 100% accurate but good ones are more close to accuracy in general.
    Also to back a player when hes going through a tough phase and reprimand him if hes being lax.These little things matter and contribute a lot.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have never seem you lot praise him but good that you finally have realized his worth now that your board is desperately trying to find a replacement and attempting to sign has beens toxic individuals like Kumble or relics of the past aka VVS.
    nah he's given more praises than Rahane for our Aus turnaround.

Ofcourse he's not flawless.As for Kumble,he's not toxic just because Kohli says so.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just as Misbah and Waqar resigned together.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its like talking about your brother.

You can and will bash him all the time justified/unjustified but if someone else bashes him, you stand up for your brother no matter what.

Its a love and hate relationship.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Hamza View Post
    Yes they had a bond from when one was captain and the other was head coach and possibly felt more comfortable working as a team, especially Waqar who doesnt easily get along with everyone if we look at his history with multiple players.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anil Kumble wasn't toxic. He just didn't match at all with our kaptaan. It happens. Though it cost us a tournament, it was still quite a tame breakup.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    How is VVS a relic of the past while Shastri is not?

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    409 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The greatest Asian test coach of all-time with 40 test wins to his name.

The 38 wins under Kohli were excellent but his legacy goes beyond that as it is built on the two legendary wins India achieved in the famous 2020 tour of Australia.

Melbourne 2020 and Brisbane 2021 will forever be etched in the memory of Indian fans and Shastri deserves a lot of credit for that. Not to forget the resilience that was shown in Sydney too.

The Brisbane win especially, is equivalent to as many as five overseas wins for India and the duo of Shastri-Pant should have their name registered in the Indian version of Hall Of Famer based on that win only
    Last edited by Ab Fan; 18th September 2021 at 21:42.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu_Hamza View Post
    Difference is Waqar will be back with another head coach. Just wait and watch.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us not read too much into the momentary criticism or the frustrations that Indians have with Shastri. For example the decision to leave out Ashwin in recent Eng matches.
    Everyone gets criticised when wickets fall or opposition beats us but we still know how difficult it is to coach any team, let alone Indian team where the expectations are huge.
    THis upcoming T20WC will again have episodes where he is criticised, adulation is rare for a coach anyway
    Last edited by OMB; 18th September 2021 at 22:38.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some great achievements on his CV but some gaping holes in the team performance as well. I'd say he'd get polarized reactions.
    The man who always gets underplayed is Bharat Arun, who has introduced a wonderful culture and training regimes for fast bowlers where they are always ready to fight at their best.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Maybe I should have been more critical, much earlier of Serious Ravi and they would have loved him more so they could be contrarian in their support

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shastri is a good motivator but with the talent ,quality,resources, and finances India have they really should have and deserve a top class coach. Surely BCCI will appoint one now.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for Kumble,he's not toxic just because Kohli says so.
    This.

If anything, it's Kohli who is toxic.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7792 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    I don’t think Shastri is that desperate for another job. Coaching Pakistan after coaching India is like driving a Mehran after owning a Benz for years.

There is zero incentive for an Indian coach to work with PCB. Vastly inferior team and vastly inferior pay-check. This of course doesn’t even take into consideration the fact that an Indian coach working in Pakistan will receive a lot of criticism and hatred from all quarters, even by Pakistanis to a certain extent.

Shastri will be back in the commentary box. He was a huge loss to the commentary business. Hopefully we can see the iconic duo of Ramiz-Shastri in the commentary box at some point in the future.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Ravi Shastri's 4-year stint as Team India's head coach is set to end next month and the noted coach will be joined by the majority of his coaching staff. While R Sridhar has already confirmed his exit from the coaching staff after the end of his contract, bowling coach Bharat Arun is likely to join Shastri as well.

Multiple reports have confirmed that Rahul Dravid is leading the race to replace Shastri and it is likely that he will bring in his coaching staff. A veteran commentator, Shastri can very well return to the commentary box after the end of his contract.

But as per The Times of India, Shastri is also open to working with IPL franchises. Speaking to TOI, a source said that Shastri will be selective and is open to working in IPL.

It is to be noted that Shastri has never been associated with any IPL franchise or any other state team. He had first joined Team India for a short-term stint in 2007 before returning for 2 years in 2014. He was named as head coach in 2017 and was retained in 2019.

Shastri is a veteran coach and could be in high demand if available. Unlike Shastri, both Arun and Sridhar have worked in IPL. Arun was associated with the Virat Kohli-led Royal Challengers Bangalore while Sridhar has worked with Punjab Kings. Both the former players have also coached domestic teams and the India U-19 team.

Present batting coach Vikram RathoUr is likely to stay in the backroom staff. He had first joined the team in 2019 and has only worked for 2 years. It remains to be seen if he is retained in the Dravid-headed coaching staff or not.

The new coaching staff will be offered a two-year contract, starting November. Team India will play 3 ICC events in the next 2 years.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...-report/824532

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Can Pakistan sign up Shastri?

As they say, you dont ask, you dont get.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

'Star Gazing' -'The Players in My Life' by Ravi Shastri

The book 'Players in my life' by Ravi Shastri is one of the most well written and expressive cricket books.I recommend it for every lover of the game.Most methodically or articulately he assesses the merits of the stars of various eras,with an original touch.He simply brings out the best attributes of all the great characters of the game.with a great punch.His descriptions of the artistic qualities or technical skill of the players are simply poetic.The writings give vibrations of some of the players exuding the touch of a painter or violinist.I can hardly envisage anyone giving as articulate justice to each cricketing star.Above all more than anything ,it proves that the game is all about aesthetics,and not just statistical records.I really appreciate the sheer life in his writings.In a most balanced manner he describes the artistic abilities,the technical prowess and temperament of players.The chapters portray the distinctive features of true cricketing genius.

To me his best writings are on Viv Richards,Zaheer Abbas,Gundappa Vishwanath,Ian Botham,Kapil Dev,Malcolm Marshall,Wasim Akram,,Sunil Gavaskar,Imran Khan,Aravinda De Silva,,Martin Crowe ,Rahul Dravid,Gordon Greenidge and Graham Gooch. Shastri also does ample justice to the exploits of Lara,Tendulkar,Dravid ,Laxman,Steyn etc,giving respect to their eras.I simply adore his projection of the sheer cricketing energy of Botham,Kapil Dev and Imran Khan and the aestheticism of Martin Crowe.

Shastri analytically portrays why he rates Viv Richards the best batsmen he has ever seen,Botham the best all-rounder,Marshall and Wasim the best fast bowlers ,Amarnath the most determined batsman Miandad the most combative player,Aravinda the most temperamentally sound,Gavaskar the best of all opening batsman,,Kapil Dev the most talented cricketer,Imran the best leader,and Gower,Vishwnath and Zaheer Abbas as the ultimate stylists. He describes the silkiness of the strokes of Zaheer,the magical wristwork of Zaheer and the velvety touch of Gower.The water tight technique and phenomenal concentration of Gavaskar is narrated as well as the unmatched wizardry and destructive power of Viv Richards.He treats Imran Khan as a great military commander and Javed Miandad as the ultimate battler.A most accurate assessment is also made on the West Indian pace trio of Holding,Roberts and Garner .Most vividly he describes the sheer all-round skill and craft of Malcolm Marshall as well as the wizardry of magician of Wasim Akram.Shastri also constructed a very accurate tribute to Dennis Lillee,justifying why he was the most complete of pace bowlers and on why Gary Sobers had no rival for the title of the greatest all-rounder.

I complement his rankings of Viv Richards,Ian Botham,Imran Khan and Malcolm Marshall at the very top in their departments .

Arguably glaring omissions were Mohammad Azharuddin,Abdul Qadir ,Saed Anwar and Mark Waugh.I regret he did not reflect on the golden touch of Azhar,the flair of Mark Waugh and the sheer magical art of Qadir, and the subtle strokeplay of Saed Anwar.All were close to the most aesthetic cricketers of their eras.

The book is simply a must for any cricket fan' s library.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Genuinely sad end to his tenure as Indian coach.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my fav commentators , back to his old job 👍🏽

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What a sad way for the legend to go.

Will be remembered as the greatest Indian coach simply for the test exploits under him in Australia and England.

I raise my glass in honour of our greatest ever coach.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Outgoing head coach Ravi Shastri and skipper Virat Kohli, who will lead the country for one last time in the shortest format, would aim to finish India's underwhelming T20 World Cup campaign on a positive note with a victory over Namibia in the team's final Super 12 match here on Monday.

Around 6:30 pm, New Zealand hit the winning runs against Afghanistan much to the disappointment of the Indian fans, who were hoping against hope that a miracle will happen under the blazing afternoon sun at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium in Abu Dhabi.

The mood in the Indian camp was evident when BCCI's official media WhatsApp group had a message for the journalists "The optional training session in the evening has been cancelled."

ALSO READ: India out of contention for semi-final berth as New Zealand beat Afghanistan

It was understandable dejection as for first time since the 2012 edition of this event, India had failed to make the knockout stage of an ICC event.

The Indian players, who kept an eye on the TV watching Afghanistan battle it out against the Black Caps, knew by the halfway stage of the game that all of them would now have to take the flight back to their respective cities on Tuesday, a welcome break from the bio-bubble but not in the way they would have liked.

Against Namibia, they will surely win it big and skipper Kohli would do a world of good if he allows the likes of Rahul Chahar get a game and give Ishan Kishan another go. The senior players would gain precious little against the David Wieses of the world save for beefing up their individual statistics.

Very rarely has an Indian team played such an inconsequential game at an ICC event since its last league game in the 1992 World Cup against South Africa after already being out of the race for the semi-finals.

It's not the first time that India are out of a global tournament before the last four stage but never has it been so frustrating where one could clearly read the writing on the wall.

India lost two crucial tosses, batted awfully in slightly, if not very, testing conditions and then on a dew-laden surface bowled atrociously.

It was as if the heavens had conspired that nothing should go well for the team after it had great run in England.

And that is something that will hurt Shastri, a proud man, who has done his bit to make this a formidable all-condition Test team with a lethal fast bowling attack.

"Toss played a very, very vital role and I believe in these kind of matches, toss shouldn't be of any consequence," bowling coach Bharath Arun said on Sunday.

"Here toss gives unfair advantage and there is a huge change in batting in the first innings and batting in the second innings. That shouldn't be the case in short format like this," he reiterated what has generally been the official line for the team during all these days post the New Zealand defeat.

For Kohli, who is all set to even lose his ODI captaincy in the coming days, this wasn't how he would have liked to end his T20 captaincy stint with the national team having already quit IPL captaincy.

It is also the first time since the 2013 Champions Trophy that an Indian men's team has failed to reach at least the semi-final stage of an ICC event.

They were champions in the 50 over Champions Trophy in 2013, followed by runners-up finish in T20 World Cup in 2014. In the 2015 ODI World Cup, the team lost in the semifinals.

The 2016 T20 World Cup saw them reach the last four stage while they lost to Pakistan in the 2017 final of the 50-over Champions Trophy.

In 2019, their ODI World Cup campaign ended in the semi-final and the two-year long World Test Championship also ended in a finale defeat.

A combination of factors led to this debacle and if Kohli's poor captaincy and selection is one factor, the problems were certainly compounded by players like Hardik Pandya, who didnt reveal the full extent of their fitness status to the national selectors.

While Pandya did show his original self against Afghanistan, he would get very little credit for that performance after failing to score as a pure batter against quality attacks like Pakistan and New Zealand.

It is still not clear whether Kohli will be seen as a one-format captain in Test matches but his performance in the last four ICC tournaments leave a lot to be desired.

Now that he is approaching mid 30s and showing signs of playing a conservative game and one can only hope that with eleven months left for the next T20 World Cup, India would start with a fresh slate and fresher approach.

Namibia have managed to beat only Scotland so far in their Super 12 engagements after making the tournament-proper for the first time in the T20 format.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...298899777.html

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'You won't hear such statements from Dravid': Gambhir criticises Ravi Shastri; reveals major difference between the two
    Former Indian cricketer Gautam Gambhir talked about Ravi Shastri and revealed a major difference between the two.

Ravi Shastri left his role as the head coach of Team India earlier this month, following the end of the side's T20 World Cup campaign in the Super 12 stage. Shastri's reign as head coach saw India achieve no.1 ranking in Tests and multiple overseas Test series victories in Australia, as well as wins in England and South Africa.

However, the team failed to win an ICC title under Shastri, finishing runners-up in the 2017 Champions Trophy, semi-finalists in the 2019 World Cup and runners-up in the World Test Championship before a disappointing end to the T20 WC this year. Due to that fact, Shastri's tenure is looked back with mixed reviews.

When Gautam Gambhir was asked to comment on Shastri's shortcomings as head coach, the former Indian cricketer criticised his statements following India's major wins in overseas matches.

“The one thing I found surprising is that when you play well, you don't usually boast about it. It's fine if others talk about it; when we won the 2011 World Cup, no one gave statements saying that this team is the best in the world, let alone country,” Gambhir said on Times Now Navbharat.

“When you win, let others talk about it. You won in Australia, that's a big achievement no doubt. You won in England, performed well, no doubt. But let others praise you. You won't hear such statements from Rahul Dravid. Whether India play good or bad, his statements will always remain balanced. Moreover, it will reflect on other players,” said the former Indian opener.

Shastri had famously called India's Test series victory in Australia (2019) “as big, or even bigger” than the 1983 World Cup win.

“Humility is very important, whether you play good or bad. Cricket won't go on forever. I think Dravid's major focus will be on players being good people first,” Gambhir further said.

Rahul Dravid's tenure as head coach began with the bilateral T20I series between India and New Zealand, with the side – under newly-appointed T20 captain Rohit Sharma – securing the series.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...490586881.html

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best I have seen India play in tests in the west under Shastri and Kohli. Wish it could continue longer. Made the country proud the way they played.

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Venue
    lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The manner of my exit hurt, there were those in BCCI who tried to ensure I don't get the job: Ravi Shastri

Ravi Shastri wasn't backed as India's head coach in 2016, with the BCCI giving the job to Anil Kumble. The former India all-rounder has admitted that the manner in which his case was handled, hurt him.

Ravi Shastri is a man who has always found ways to remain closely associated with cricket. After retiring as a player, the former India all-rounder has been a part of India's support staff for 7 long years, most recently as the head coach. However, Shastri has admitted that attempts were made to ensure that he didn't get the job in 2017.

Shastri was in the running to become India's head coach in 2016 before Anil Kumble was handed the job. Shastri was already working with the Indian team as the 'team director' and had guided the boys to some notable achievements both at home and away. However, rather than formally appointing Shastri as the head coach, the board decided to hand Kumble the responsibility.

"There was this bolt from the blue. In less than two years after I was asked set aside my broadcast career, leave everything else and join the team, I suddenly found myself out for no reason. I had sown the seeds and the fruits were beginning to show and out of nowhere I came to know I was being replaced. Nobody told me why," he told the Times of India in an interview.

On being asked with the decision hurt, Shastri didn't hide behind his feelings and said: "Yes, more than anything, it hurt because of the manner in which it was done. For all that I had contributed, just on one word from the BCCI, there were better ways to let me know 'Oh look we don't want you, we don't like you. We want somebody else' - if that was the case. Anyway, I went back to do what I do best - which is television. Around nine months passed, and I didn't even have a clue that there was anything wrong inside the team. I mean, what could've been wrong? I was told there was a real problem and I said - how can there be a problem in nine months? The team that I had left was in such a good space. How the hell in nine months could something go that drastically wrong? "

After Kumble resigned from the role following India's defeat to Pakistan in the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy final, it was Shastri who took up the job. Shastri even revealed that some people in the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) tried their best to prevent him from taking the role.

"During my second stint, I came after a huge controversy. And it was literally egg on the faces of those who wanted me away. They opted for someone and nine months later, they came back to the very guy they threw out. And I'm not pointing any fingers at people (BCCI) in general. Specific people. I must say an attempt was made to ensure I don't get the job. But such is life," he explained.

Over the last four years, Shastri helped Indian cricket achieve some new milestones, playing in the ICC World Test Championship (WTC) final arguably being the highlight.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...shastri/839332

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transparent opacity View Post
    The manner of my exit hurt, there were those in BCCI who tried to ensure I don't get the job: Ravi Shastri

Ravi Shastri wasn't backed as India's head coach in 2016, with the BCCI giving the job to Anil Kumble. The former India all-rounder has admitted that the manner in which his case was handled, hurt him.

Ravi Shastri is a man who has always found ways to remain closely associated with cricket. After retiring as a player, the former India all-rounder has been a part of India's support staff for 7 long years, most recently as the head coach. However, Shastri has admitted that attempts were made to ensure that he didn't get the job in 2017.

Shastri was in the running to become India's head coach in 2016 before Anil Kumble was handed the job. Shastri was already working with the Indian team as the 'team director' and had guided the boys to some notable achievements both at home and away. However, rather than formally appointing Shastri as the head coach, the board decided to hand Kumble the responsibility.

"There was this bolt from the blue. In less than two years after I was asked set aside my broadcast career, leave everything else and join the team, I suddenly found myself out for no reason. I had sown the seeds and the fruits were beginning to show and out of nowhere I came to know I was being replaced. Nobody told me why," he told the Times of India in an interview.

On being asked with the decision hurt, Shastri didn't hide behind his feelings and said: "Yes, more than anything, it hurt because of the manner in which it was done. For all that I had contributed, just on one word from the BCCI, there were better ways to let me know 'Oh look we don't want you, we don't like you. We want somebody else' - if that was the case. Anyway, I went back to do what I do best - which is television. Around nine months passed, and I didn't even have a clue that there was anything wrong inside the team. I mean, what could've been wrong? I was told there was a real problem and I said - how can there be a problem in nine months? The team that I had left was in such a good space. How the hell in nine months could something go that drastically wrong? "

After Kumble resigned from the role following India's defeat to Pakistan in the 2017 ICC Champions Trophy final, it was Shastri who took up the job. Shastri even revealed that some people in the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) tried their best to prevent him from taking the role.

"During my second stint, I came after a huge controversy. And it was literally egg on the faces of those who wanted me away. They opted for someone and nine months later, they came back to the very guy they threw out. And I'm not pointing any fingers at people (BCCI) in general. Specific people. I must say an attempt was made to ensure I don't get the job. But such is life," he explained.

Over the last four years, Shastri helped Indian cricket achieve some new milestones, playing in the ICC World Test Championship (WTC) final arguably being the highlight.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...shastri/839332
    That should be Ganguly who wanted Kumble in

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.india.com/sports/shastri...ement-5152773/

Former India coach Ravi Shastri responded to India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin’s statement of feeling “absolutely crushed” when the then Indian coach spoke highly of left-arm spinner Kuldeep Yadav and said that he was India’s No 1 spinner. Talking about the incident, Shastri said that he is glad he made that statement as it made Ashwin do something different, the result of which can be seen now with the way the India off-spinner has been bowling off late.

“[R] Ashwin did not play the Test in Sydney and Kuldeep [Yadav] bowled well. So, it’s fair I give Kuldeep a chance,” Shastri said in a conversation with Indian Express e.Adda. “If that hurt Ashwin, I am very happy. It made him do something different. My job is not to butter everyone’s toast. My job is to state facts without agenda,” said Shastri.

“If your coach challenges you, what will you do – go home crying and say I won’t come back? I, as a player, would take it as a challenge, to prove the coach wrong. If my statement on Kuldeep hurt Ashwin, I am glad I made that statement. It made him do something different,” added the former India coach.

“The way Ashwin bowled in 2019 and the way he has bowled in 2021 is chalk and cheese. About throwing Ashwin under the bus, he need not worry because I had told the bus driver to stop 2-3 feet short. The message to Ashwin in 2018 was that he had to be fit. He has worked on that and look how’s bowling now. He’s world-class,” the 59-year-old further went on to add.

Ashwin revealed that he felt like he was being “thrown under the bus” after a remark by former head coach Ravi Shastri left him “crushed” during a torrid phase in his career when he contemplated retirement multiple times.

“I hold Ravi bhai in high esteem. We all do. And I understand we all can say things and then retract them. In that moment, though, I felt crushed. Absolutely crushed,” Ashwin said in an interview.

“We all talk about how important it is to enjoy your team-mates’ success. And I was happy for Kuldeep. I have not been able to get a five-for but he has a five-for in Australia. I know how big it is. Even when I have bowled well (at other times), I haven’t ended up with a five-for. So I am genuinely happy for him. And it’s an extremely happy occasion, to win in Australia.

“But if I have to come and partake in his happiness, and the success of the team, I must feel like I belong there. If I feel like I am being thrown under the bus, how am I supposed to get up and come for a party to enjoy the team’s or team-mate’s success?” Ashwin, however, still made it to the celebration party that was organised following the Indian’s team’s historic series triumph Down Under.

“I went back to my room and then I spoke to my wife. And my children were there. So we were able to, you know, shrug it off, and I still made it to the party, because, end of the day, we had won a massive series.” The 35-year-old said that recurring injuries meant that he was playing under “excruciating pain” when he took three wickets in each innings to lead India to victory in the first Test in Australia in 2018-19.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    “I had told the bus driver to stop 2-3 feet short.”

Ravi comes up with some very baller one-liners.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    About throwing Ashwin under the bus, he need not worry because I had told the bus driver to stop 2-3 feet short.
    This made my chuckle! Lol, where does Shastri get these gems from?

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Virat Kohli's unexpected decision to step down as India's Test captain following a 1-2 defeat to South Africa in the red-ball series shocked fans and many experts. Several former cricketers supported Kohli's decision but some felt that he perhaps could have continued in the role for some time more. The 33-year-old prolific right-hander received support from former head coach Ravi Shastri, who stated that it is Kohli's "choice". Shastri also explained that "a lot of big players have left captaincy" in the past.

Speaking to PTI, Shastri said, "It's his choice. You have to respect his decision. There is a time for everything. A lot of big players in the past have left captaincy when they felt they wanted to focus on their batting or on their cricket."

"Whether it's (Sachin) Tendulkar, (Sunil) Gavaskar or (MS) Dhoni. And, it's Virat Kohli now."

Shastri, who stepped down as India's head coach after the T20 World Cup last year, refrained from making any about Kohli's body language in the field after quitting captaincy.

"As I said, I've not followed a single ball in the series. But I don't think there will be too much change in Virat Kohli", he said.

"I took a break after seven years in the game, been part of the team, One thing is very clear, I do not wash dirty linen in public".

Kohli has also been criticised for not winning any ICC trophy as skipper. Shastri explained that many big players in the past also haven't won a World and he also cited examples.

"Many big players have not won a World Cup. That's alright. (Sourav) Ganguly, (Rahul) Dravid, (Anil) Kumble also have not won. So can we label them as bad players?"

"You can't generalise. You go and play. How many World Cup winning captains do we have. Sachin Tendulkar had to play six World Cups before winning it."

"At the end of the day, you are judged by how you play, are you an ambassador of the game? Do you play the game with integrity, and do you play for a long period of time? That's how you judge players at the end of it all", he stated.

Kohli had stepped down from India's T20I captaincy after the T20 World Cup and was soon removed as ODI skipper. The BCCI announced Rohit Sharma as India's full-time white-ball captain in December last year.

On contradictory versions of Kohli and BCCI over the issue of captaincy, Shastri said: "Communication is an important thing. I don't know what transpired in between them. I wasn't part of their conversation.

"I can't comment unless I speak to both the parties. It's better to keep your mouth shut if you have less information, speak when you get proper information."

Virat, while addressing the media before the team's departure for the Test series in South Africa, said that he was informed by the selectors that he won't be the ODI captain anymore just one and a half hours before the Test squad for the South Africa series was announced and that there was no prior communication on the same from the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

This statement of Virat's contradicts the statements made by BCCI president Sourav Ganguly over the past few days. Ganguly had mentioned that he had personally spoken to Kohli about the decision

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/ravi...dtv_topstories

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In India, "Jealous Gang" Wanted Me To Fail, But I Had A Thick Skin: Former Coach Ravi Shastri

In an interview to UK's 'The Guardian' newspaper, Ravi Shastri said in a country like India there is always "jealousy" or "gang of people willing you to fail".

Robert Key will need to grow a "thick skin" akin to the Dukes ball just like he had to counter the "jealous people", former India head coach Ravi Shastri said on how the ex-England opener should go out about his job as ECB's 'Director of Cricket'. Shastri was at helm of India's coaching staff between 2014 to 2021, save one year in the middle when Anil Kumble was given the charge. In an interview to UK's 'The Guardian' newspaper, Shastri said that there was a "gang of people" in India who wanted him to fail.

Just like Shastri, Key has also been an acclaimed commentator for a long time and doesn't have a coaching degree as he tries to ease into a new and very different role.

"I didn't have coaching badges [either]. Level one? Level two? **** that. And in a country like India, there is always jealousy or a gang of people willing you to fail. I had a thick skin, thicker than the leather of the Dukes ball you use. A real solid hide.

"And you need a bloody hide over here. Rob will develop this as he does the job, because every day you are judged. And I am glad he has a lot of captaincy experience from his time at Kent, because communication with the players is absolutely paramount," Shastri was quoted as saying by the British newspaper.

From his own experience of working with the Indian team, Shastri feels that national teams across the cricketing world function in a pretty similar fashion.

"Rob may have more work with the domestic game but, when it comes to the national team, it is very similar. The most important thing is getting among the players and setting a tone from the outset: what you believe in, what you think of them and changing the mindset to compete and win.

"You have to be bullish and brutish in wanting to achieve that. For us, and now England, it was about setting the challenge of winning abroad, big time. I was very firm when it came to team culture: all the prima donnas and all that s**t, that had to go out of the window early," Shastri explained.

Outlining the philosophy and team culture is important, according to Shastri and that's what he had drilled in when India beat Australia in two back-to-back away series.

"...it was also outlining how we want to play: to be aggressive and ruthless, to up the fitness levels, to get a group of fast bowlers to take 20 wickets overseas. And it was about attitude, especially when playing the Aussies. I told the boys if one single expletive comes your way, give them three back: two in our language and one in theirs." Shastri also feels that Key needs to discuss issues with former Test captain Joe Root to understand how it all works.

"Rob will have an adjustment period to understand the issues and will need to speak in detail with Joe Root for his experiences as Test captain. But in my 24 years [commentating], I did not miss a beat or a ball of Indian cricket.

"And he (Key) will have covered a huge amount too. So you're not lagging behind by an inch, you're abreast of what a team requires but also what other teams are doing. You should be able to leapfrog over all those early issues and get into the nitty gritty straight away." Shastri felt that Ben Stokes would be the ideal choice to take the England team forward.

Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com
    "The adrenaline of captaincy – not that he needs it – could fire Stokes up to be something even more than the incredible player he is now. The important relationship is with the captain – the moment there is friction, things go downhill.

"But they will be fine because the England I saw last year, they have enough talent and skill to compete. There's no doubt about that in my mind. It's all about their mindset."

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/in-i...dtv_topstories
    Last edited by daytrader; 26th April 2022 at 15:09.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
    In India, "Jealous Gang" Wanted Me To Fail, But I Had A Thick Skin: Former Coach Ravi Shastri

In an interview to UK's 'The Guardian' newspaper, Ravi Shastri said in a country like India there is always "jealousy" or "gang of people willing you to fail".

Robert Key will need to grow a "thick skin" akin to the Dukes ball just like he had to counter the "jealous people", former India head coach Ravi Shastri said on how the ex-England opener should go out about his job as ECB's 'Director of Cricket'. Shastri was at helm of India's coaching staff between 2014 to 2021, save one year in the middle when Anil Kumble was given the charge. In an interview to UK's 'The Guardian' newspaper, Shastri said that there was a "gang of people" in India who wanted him to fail.

Just like Shastri, Key has also been an acclaimed commentator for a long time and doesn't have a coaching degree as he tries to ease into a new and very different role.

"I didn't have coaching badges [either]. Level one? Level two? **** that. And in a country like India, there is always jealousy or a gang of people willing you to fail. I had a thick skin, thicker than the leather of the Dukes ball you use. A real solid hide.

"And you need a bloody hide over here. Rob will develop this as he does the job, because every day you are judged. And I am glad he has a lot of captaincy experience from his time at Kent, because communication with the players is absolutely paramount," Shastri was quoted as saying by the British newspaper.

From his own experience of working with the Indian team, Shastri feels that national teams across the cricketing world function in a pretty similar fashion.

"Rob may have more work with the domestic game but, when it comes to the national team, it is very similar. The most important thing is getting among the players and setting a tone from the outset: what you believe in, what you think of them and changing the mindset to compete and win.

"You have to be bullish and brutish in wanting to achieve that. For us, and now England, it was about setting the challenge of winning abroad, big time. I was very firm when it came to team culture: all the prima donnas and all that s**t, that had to go out of the window early," Shastri explained.

Outlining the philosophy and team culture is important, according to Shastri and that's what he had drilled in when India beat Australia in two back-to-back away series.

"...it was also outlining how we want to play: to be aggressive and ruthless, to up the fitness levels, to get a group of fast bowlers to take 20 wickets overseas. And it was about attitude, especially when playing the Aussies. I told the boys if one single expletive comes your way, give them three back: two in our language and one in theirs." Shastri also feels that Key needs to discuss issues with former Test captain Joe Root to understand how it all works.

"Rob will have an adjustment period to understand the issues and will need to speak in detail with Joe Root for his experiences as Test captain. But in my 24 years [commentating], I did not miss a beat or a ball of Indian cricket.

"And he (Key) will have covered a huge amount too. So you're not lagging behind by an inch, you're abreast of what a team requires but also what other teams are doing. You should be able to leapfrog over all those early issues and get into the nitty gritty straight away." Shastri felt that Ben Stokes would be the ideal choice to take the England team forward.

"The adrenaline of captaincy – not that he needs it – could fire Stokes up to be something even more than the incredible player he is now. The important relationship is with the captain – the moment there is friction, things go downhill.

"But they will be fine because the England I saw last year, they have enough talent and skill to compete. There's no doubt about that in my mind. It's all about their mindset."

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/in-i...dtv_topstories
    Shastri talks like a South Asian boomer who grew up in the 70s and 80s. I love it. People just don't talk like this anymore.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Shastri talks like a South Asian boomer who grew up in the 70s and 80s. I love it. People just don't talk like this anymore.
    He’s trying to sound quite gangster here but unfortunately we’ve all heard him talk and he still sounds like he’s selling vegetables in an Indian market stall

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    860 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Is he talking about Sunil Gavaskar and other fellow commentators?

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a legend

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, Shastri. That was funny!

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    What a legend

Legends are the writers for Cred ad. Didn't think they would ever top the Rahul Dravid ad. This is gold.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricfan4eva View Post
    Legends are the writers for Cred ad. Didn't think they would ever top the Rahul Dravid ad. This is gold.
    I have not seen Rahul Dravid ad. Is it recent?

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    I have not seen Rahul Dravid ad. Is it recent?
    No it came out last year I think. I am sure you must have seen it, it became quite popular https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8KpV-4_mRg

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2955 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    No cricket fan can forget the season Ravi Shastri had in 1985 as he helped the Sunil Gavaskar-led India win the 1985 Benson and Hedges World Championship. In the entire tournament, Shastri registered 182 runs and also took eight wickets. However, he reserved his best for the final against Pakistan. With the ball in hand, he scalped one wicket as he dismissed Tahir Naqqash. And then he went on to play an unbeaten 63-run knock to take India over the line by eight wickets.

Whoever was deemed the Player of the Tournament in the 1985 Benson and Hedges World Championship was supposed to get an Audi100. And it was Shastri, who was chosen as the Player of the Tournament and the Audi was his.

After the ceremony, the entire Indian team jumped onto the car, and Shastri famously drove the Audi around the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG).

And now, Shastri has revealed how Pakistan skipper Javed Miandad sledged him during the final.

“Tu baar baar udhar kya deke raha hai” (Why are you looking there repeatedly?) “Gaadi ko kyun dekh raha hai?!” (Why are you looking at the car). Voh nahi milne waali hai tere ko! (You are not going to get it!)," The Indian Express quoted Shastri as saying.

That's when I had one proper look at it, and told him, "Javed, meri taraf hi aa Rahi hai! (It's coming my way, only!)," he added.

On Friday, Shastri had shared pictures of his Audi100 that he had won after being named Player of the Tournament.

After retiring from cricket, Shastri has donned several hats, and even coached Team India.

Under Shastri's tenure, India played 43 Tests, out of which the side won 25. This also includes two series wins in Australia.

Team India played 76 ODIs and 65 T20Is under Shastri. The Men in Blue managed to win 51 ODIs and 43 T20Is.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/ravi...-final-3039299

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That move of abandoning the tour when India had England on the mat and ready for killer blow doesn't seem to have worked out so well.

India have played this series incredibly well - but sometimes it is about timing more than skill.

Shastri would have had this feather in his cap of beating England in England.

I suppose as long as there is IPL, who cares about test cricket.