Mohammad Wasim

Frontline Bowlers:

Haris Rauf
    Shaheen Shah Afridi
    Mohammad Hasnain
    Usman Qadir
    Hasan Ali
    Shahnawaz Dahani

This NT20 Cup should give us an opportunity to get rid of some dead weight in the squad.

A lot of decent shouts I'd consider if I were the selector:

Amir Yamin for Azam Khan.

Imran Khan Sr./Arshad Iqbal for Mohammad Hasnain.

Iftikhar Ahmed for Khushdil Shah.

Babar Azam
    Mohammad Rizwan
    Sohaib Maqsood
    Mohammad Hafeez
    Iftikhar Ahmed
    Amir Yamin
    Imad Wasim
    Shadab Khan
    Hasan Ali
    Shaheen Shah Afridi
    Imran Khan Sr/Arshad Iqbal

This playing XI, in my mind, is what we should be targeting. We have enough reliable batsmen to make sure we are consistently getting good starts and creating a platform.

We also have a very good array of utility players, and I'll give a few examples:

Hafeez's ability against LHB is unmatched and his batting, if on song, is equally as rewarding.

Amir Yamin is a very handy bowler who can contribute in the powerplay and bash the ball around with the bat.

Arshad Iqbal/Imran Khan Sr. are skilled with variations in the middle overs, something we have been lacking for a while.

Iftikhar Ahmed provides another bowling option and is capable of also hitting the ball around.

Let's see how some of these names progress.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arshad Iqbal is such a mediocre fast bowler to have been selected for PCT un recent times. He neither has a pace nor swing and no domestic performance either. And some people rating him.
    He also seems to have been age cheater and is definitely over 25 not some 20 year old.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waheed_sofi View Post
    Arshad Iqbal is such a mediocre fast bowler to have been selected for PCT un recent times. He neither has a pace nor swing and no domestic performance either. And some people rating him.
    He also seems to have been age cheater and is definitely over 25 not some 20 year old.
    He has some knowledge of when to change pace, but I agree, he isn't some show-stopper. The alternative to him is Dahani, who has that bouncer/short-pitched bowling ability, but on UAE wickets, I don't see that being very effective.

Imran Khan Sr. continues to perform.

Shadab Khan is a liability with the bat, he is not an all-rounder despite what people here say. He should be stripped of Vice Captaincy so that we can get a proper spinner into the mix and play an additional all-rounder who will come of greater use.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    We have a great pace attack. Dahani/Afridi/Ali and backups Rauf and Hasnain.

Qadir and Imad for the spinners.

Fakhar/Babar/Rizwan/Hafeez is a solid top order.

WK is world class.

We got a pretty good team for this WC.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waheed_sofi View Post
    Agree with this. There's better options in Pak right now and the age fudging is very clear.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would like this team

1. Fakhar
    2. Sharjeel
    3. Babar
    4. Rizwan
    5. Hafeez
    6. Anwar Ali
    7. Hassan Ali
    8. Amir Yamin
    9. Harris Rauf
    10. Shaheen Shah Afridi
    11. Zahid Mahmood/ Mohammad Nawaz

If Nawaz plays as our spinner with Hafeez, thats 11 guys who can all bat and a lower order that can produce some very useful cameos.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Performances So Far

Most of the players have done well.

Good to see Imad using some new variations (carrom ball I think).

Shadab is invisible as a player, neither taking wickets nor scoring runs, just captaining which can be done by anyone else.

Middle-order is failing still, a lot of these guys are unreliable and it shows the value of someone like Malik/Hafeez.

Bowlers have done well, but T20WC Squad Selection definitely needs to be looked into.

So far, I think there are a few potential changes that we might see before the WC:

Mohammad Hasnain out for Imran Khan Sr.

Mohammad Nawaz out for Iftikhar Ahmed.

Fakhar Zaman out for Sharjeel Khan.

Azam Khan out for Amir Yamin.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching, likes of khusdil, Azam.and shoiab has been a true embarrassment.

India C team will have better batsmen then these hacks

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Somewhere in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UzmanBeast View Post
    Most of the players have done well.

Good to see Imad using some new variations (carrom ball I think).

Shadab is invisible as a player, neither taking wickets nor scoring runs, just captaining which can be done by anyone else.

Middle-order is failing still, a lot of these guys are unreliable and it shows the value of someone like Malik/Hafeez.

Bowlers have done well, but T20WC Squad Selection definitely needs to be looked into.

So far, I think there are a few potential changes that we might see before the WC:

Mohammad Hasnain out for Imran Khan Sr.

Mohammad Nawaz out for Iftikhar Ahmed.

Fakhar Zaman out for Sharjeel Khan.

Azam Khan out for Amir Yamin.
    Imran khan sr, seriously? Fakhar isn't n 15 anyways, realistically Ramiz would never let sharjeel back into the squad.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    I would like this team

1. Fakhar
    2. Sharjeel
    3. Babar
    4. Rizwan
    5. Hafeez
    6. Anwar Ali
    7. Hassan Ali
    8. Amir Yamin
    9. Harris Rauf
    10. Shaheen Shah Afridi
    11. Zahid Mahmood/ Mohammad Nawaz

If Nawaz plays as our spinner with Hafeez, thats 11 guys who can all bat and a lower order that can produce some very useful cameos.
    So you are now convinced that Rizwan is best Wk in the country and world.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoJoJoJo View Post
    Imran khan sr, seriously? Fakhar isn't n 15 anyways, realistically Ramiz would never let sharjeel back into the squad.
    I'm just assuming that he might make a change here and there to appease the supporters, but yes, he won't include Sharjeel.

Imran Khan Sr. has been doing well, so it's good to give credit where it's due. Hasnain has been a waste for a while now.

I can see Fakhar being dropped soon.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Wow we are in for disaster

5 ball wonders . Maqsood , Khushdil , Azam, Asif Ali.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The announcement of this World Cup squad, the resignations of Misbah and Waqar and the backlash from the media has completely destroyed the confidence of Maqsood, Khushdil and Azam

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    The announcement of this World Cup squad, the resignations of Misbah and Waqar and the backlash from the media has completely destroyed the confidence of Maqsood, Khushdil and Azam
    Apart from Maqsood, neither Khushdil nor Azam Khan merited their place on the squads. I doubt they had any confidence because if I were averaging like a tail-ender, I wouldn't be confident either.

Disappointing for Maqsood, he looked really good in the previous PSL edition. Needs to relinquish SP captaincy and focus on his batting.

I hope that there are some serious changes in the squad with regards to players like Azam Khan who haven't performed at all.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like this squad.

Rizwan
    Babar
    Akhlaq
    Hafeez
    Iftikhar
    Maqsood /wahab dropping down the order.
    Imad
    Shadab
    Hassan
    Wasim Jnr
    Shaheen

Rauf
    Qadir
    Malik
    Fakhar/sharjel

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a general performance watch:

Reminder that the squad is:

Batsmen:

Babar Azam (c)
    Mohammad Rizwan (wk)
    Fakhar Zaman
    Asif Ali
    Sohaib Maqsood
    Khushdil Shah
    Azam Khan (wk)

All-Rounders:

Mohammad Hafeez
    Imad Wasim
    Shadab Khan
    Mohammad Nawaz
    Mohammad Wasim

Frontline Bowlers:

Haris Rauf
    Shaheen Shah Afridi
    Mohammad Hasnain
    Usman Qadir
    Hasan Ali
    Shahnawaz Dahani

This NT20 Cup should give us an opportunity to get rid of some dead weight in the squad.

Babar Azam
    Mohammad Rizwan
    Sohaib Maqsood
    Mohammad Hafeez
    Iftikhar Ahmed
    Amir Yamin
    Imad Wasim
    Shadab Khan
    Hasan Ali
    Shaheen Shah Afridi

This playing XI, in my mind, is what we should be targeting. We have enough reliable batsmen to make sure we are consistently getting good starts and creating a platform.

We also have a very good array of utility players, and I'll give a few examples:

Hafeez's ability against LHB is unmatched and his batting, if on song, is equally as rewarding.

Amir Yamin is a very handy bowler who can contribute in the powerplay and bash the ball around with the bat.

Arshad Iqbal/Imran Khan Sr. are skilled with variations in the middle overs, something we have been lacking for a while.

Iftikhar Ahmed provides another bowling option and is capable of also hitting the ball around.

Yamin is batting to high

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Hearing that Khushdil,Azam, Nawaz and Hasnain out . Fakhar, Sharjeel, Qadir and Dhani will be In .

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fakhar is a waist, I will prefer Khurram over him. Amir Yamin should replace Asif. Khurram shehzad in place of Rauf.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif321 View Post
    Hearing that Khushdil,Azam, Nawaz and Hasnain out . Fakhar, Sharjeel, Qadir and Dhani will be In .
    What has Sharjeel..Fakhar done to get in??

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omer2002 View Post
    What has Sharjeel..Fakhar done to get in??
    Who should be in then?

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Fakhar/Sharjeel, Aamer Yamin/Anwar Ali, Nawaz/Faisal Qasim, Naseem/Hasnain, Bismillah/M Haris should be good option. Azam should be kicked out forever.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The squad selected is joke.The players in all rounder category are better batters than the batters selected.I can't understand what pak.is doing and I forsee india and newzealamd progressing from this group..I suspect Pak batting against Afghan spinners and we could be for a major upset.
    What Pak has selected are hackers not hitters and no consideration has been given to slow,turning UAE pitches.if I would had been a selector my team would have been
    1 Haider Ali
    2 sharjeel
    3 Babar
    4 Hafeez
    5 Rizwan
    6 Iftikhar
    7 imad wasim
    8 Hassan Ali
    9 shahdab
    10 dhani
    11 shaheen

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    &ODI team should be
    Haider Ali
    Fakhar
    Babar
    Talat Hussain
    Haris(wk)
    Khushdil
    Nawaz
    Hassan Ali
    Usman qadir
    Shaheen
    Husnain

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from Babar, Rizwan, Hassan and Shaheen you can play any 7 players and the output will be more or less the same.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Asif321 View Post
    I heard Fakhar, Malik, Qadir and Dhani...

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from Maqsood, neither Khushdil nor Azam Khan merited their place on the squads. I doubt they had any confidence because if I were averaging like a tail-ender, I wouldn't be confident either.

Disappointing for Maqsood, he looked really good in the previous PSL edition. Needs to relinquish SP captaincy and focus on his batting.

I hope that there are some serious changes in the squad with regards to players like Azam Khan who haven't performed at all.
    Khushdil has actually been doing amazingly well in domestic for quite some time. List A and T20. But the results simply have not translated at the international level.

I think he earned some chances for Pakistan...just not at the World Cup.

For me, its just beyond ludicrous how Iftikhar Ahmed keeps getting dropped. Eventhough he seemingly never does anything worthy of getting you dropped. If anything he has barely gotten any time in the middle in his few appearances for Pakistan. He is a very good player in my opinion who can succeed at th international level if the selectors actually had any faith in him.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Khushdil has actually been doing amazingly well in domestic for quite some time. List A and T20. But the results simply have not translated at the international level.

I think he earned some chances for Pakistan...just not at the World Cup.

For me, its just beyond ludicrous how Iftikhar Ahmed keeps getting dropped. Eventhough he seemingly never does anything worthy of getting you dropped. If anything he has barely gotten any time in the middle in his few appearances for Pakistan. He is a very good player in my opinion who can succeed at th international level if the selectors actually had any faith in him.
    With Khushdil, I would really be willing to give him a shot in List A where he averages almost 50.

He's young so he needs to develop in 50 over cricket before he starts focusing on T20 cricket.

Iftikhar Ahmed is a different case; he is a reliable batsman and a capable bowler, though his fielding is particularly poor.

In ODIs, he should be trusted to play at #4 with Rizwan moving down. I would even try to give him a role in test matches if possible, I know he hasn't grasped all opportunities with success, but his bowling could be of great benefit for us along with his reliable batting.

His batting in T20s is capable of playing a more aggressive anchoring role, which is something we should be looking to exploit in UAE conditions.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Khushdil, I would really be willing to give him a shot in List A where he averages almost 50.

He's young so he needs to develop in 50 over cricket before he starts focusing on T20 cricket.

Iftikhar Ahmed is a different case; he is a reliable batsman and a capable bowler, though his fielding is particularly poor.

In ODIs, he should be trusted to play at #4 with Rizwan moving down. I would even try to give him a role in test matches if possible, I know he hasn't grasped all opportunities with success, but his bowling could be of great benefit for us along with his reliable batting.

His batting in T20s is capable of playing a more aggressive anchoring role, which is something we should be looking to exploit in UAE conditions.
    Agree wholeheartedly. But how will he ever get a chance to prove himself if he barely gets any time in the middle. Then gets dropped. Then magically returns.

Problem for be is the social media chief selector who is devoid of any vision or critical thinking.

The Social media chief-selector has lost the plot so badly that I doubt he even has any opinions anymore that are his own. He makes selections based on the reactions that players get on social media. Because if he didn't he would have had the same opinion of Iftikhar that he did when he was running his little YouTube channel. And he would have given Iftikhar a proper run

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    You can't ask the team and the system to play fearless cricket and then drop the guys on the basis of a few bad games. We will be stuck in a perpetual cycle of insecurity this way.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iftikhar is actually a very good fielder especially in the outfield where he's a safe pair of hands. He's just not a slip fielder which requires a specialised skillset.

The passion and the flame is ignited, you can't stop us once we light it!

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree wholeheartedly. But how will he ever get a chance to prove himself if he barely gets any time in the middle. Then gets dropped. Then magically returns.

Problem for be is the social media chief selector who is devoid of any vision or critical thinking.

The Social media chief-selector has lost the plot so badly that I doubt he even has any opinions anymore that are his own. He makes selections based on the reactions that players get on social media. Because if he didn't he would have had the same opinion of Iftikhar that he did when he was running his little YouTube channel. And he would have given Iftikhar a proper run
    Chief Selector should convey to new players what the minimum number of games they will get is.

In an ideal setting, I think 10-15 ODIs should be enough for a youngster to at least demonstrate some potential through one or two credible performances.

I was skeptical of Mohammad Wasim at the beginning, my skepticism has been proven correct thus far.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Performance Review So Far

Sohaib has come good as I anticipated.

Azam Khan and Khushdil are yet to do anything.

Changes I'd make as of now would be to remove Azam Khan and replace him with Sarfaraz, someone who is at least performing with the runs.

I'd also replace Khushdil Shah with Aamir Yamin, who has proved himself enough times.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sohaib has come good as I anticipated.

Azam Khan and Khushdil are yet to do anything.

Changes I'd make as of now would be to remove Azam Khan and replace him with Sarfaraz, someone who is at least performing with the runs.

I'd also replace Khushdil Shah with Aamir Yamin, who has proved himself enough times.
    Khushdil doesn't have more than 2-3 shots in his pocket.

Wonder on what basis he got picked for WC.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maliq_Mudasir View Post
    Khushdil doesn't have more than 2-3 shots in his pocket.

Wonder on what basis he got picked for WC.
    No idea how he got selected.

Wrong format as well, he's a terrible T20 player IMO. His List A record isn't too shabby though.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait, so Maqsood who has recent performances behind him might lose his place while Khushdil will somehow hold onto his spot?

Pakistan cricket

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Spin department is very weak with Shadab, Imad and Nawaz not doing anything substantial so far.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Hassan Ali poor numbers so far:

14 overs
    131 runs conceded
    5 wickets
    9.35 economy rate

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Shadab Khan so far:

1 for 102 from 13 overs with the ball.

48 runs in 4 innings with the bat.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Khushdil Shah so far:

71 runs in 4 innings

Azam Khan so far:

53 runs in 4 innings

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Hasnain OUT
    Shahnawaz Dahani IN

Haris Rauf OUT
    Imran Khan IN

Azam Khan OUT
    Haider Ali IN

Asif Ali OUT
    Shoaib Malik IN

Khushdil Shah OUT
    Sharjeel Khan IN

Sohaib Maqsood OUT
    Fakhar Zaman IN

Thatís 6 major changes that need to be made for the WT20. Whilst every team has 8-9 players that can win them games, we only have 3-4.

Debut
    Sep 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Hassan Ali poor numbers so far:

14 overs
    131 runs conceded
    5 wickets
    9.35 economy rate
    Is he still carrying an injury from the last game ?

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    Mohammad Hasnain OUT
    Shahnawaz Dahani IN

Haris Rauf OUT
    Imran Khan IN

Azam Khan OUT
    Haider Ali IN

Asif Ali OUT
    Shoaib Malik IN

Khushdil Shah OUT
    Sharjeel Khan IN

Sohaib Maqsood OUT
    Fakhar Zaman IN

Thatís 6 major changes that need to be made for the WT20. Whilst every team has 8-9 players that can win them games, we only have 3-4.
    Apart from Sohaib Maqsood, I am in agreement for all the changes. Instead Fakhar Zaman should be brought in for Khusdil Shah. There is no place for unfit and sitting duck like Sharjeel Khan in the team.
    Last edited by smkk; 30th September 2021 at 23:07.

Debut
    Sep 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Hasnain OUT
    Shahnawaz Dahani IN

Haris Rauf OUT
    Imran Khan IN

Azam Khan OUT
    Haider Ali IN

Asif Ali OUT
    Shoaib Malik IN

Khushdil Shah OUT
    Sharjeel Khan IN

Sohaib Maqsood OUT
    Fakhar Zaman IN

Shoaib Malik has not done anything to warrant a selection. Asif ali today played better than him. Also Fakhar zaman got 49 today. Sohaib got 75 yesterday. Fakhar has not made his case yet

Amongst batsmen , the following top run getters should be considered

Babar azam
    Haider ali
    Sahibzada farhan
    Muhammad rizwan
    Muhammad Nawaz
    Muhammad ikhlaq
    Sohaib Maqsood
    Sharjeel khan

Amongst the bowlers these top wicket takers should be considered

Shahnawaz dahani
    Imran khan sr
    Shaheen afridi
    zahid Mahmood
    Muhammad wasim jr
    Hasan Ali
    Wahab Riaz

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now with the team Selected a little twist in batting order could be prudent
    Rizwan
    Babar
    Sohaib
    Hafeez
    Nawaz
    Asif Ali
    This should be nucleus of batting with two allrounders in Hafeez and Nawaz and both are batting allrounders
    Then,
    Imad wasim
    Hassan Ali
    These will be bowling allrounders..
    Then,
    9 shaheen
    10 haris Rauf
    11 a quality leg spinner which in squad seems shahdab

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Hasnain OUT
    Shahnawaz Dahani IN

Haris Rauf OUT
    Imran Khan IN

Azam Khan OUT
    Haider Ali IN

Asif Ali OUT
    Shoaib Malik IN

Khushdil Shah OUT
    Sharjeel Khan IN

Sohaib Maqsood OUT
    Fakhar Zaman IN

That’s 6 major changes that need to be made for the WT20. Whilst every team has 8-9 players that can win them games, we only have 3-4.
    It would be harsh to drop Maqsood due to the fact that he just played a good inning; Fakhar hasn't performed in a while.

Mohammad Hafeez, unfortunately, has food poisoning and dengue fever, so I don't think he'll play at the WC.

In his place, I'd consider Amir Yamin or Iftikhar Ahmed.

With the rest of the changes, I agree.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My final squad

A revised 15-man squad I would consider taking:

Openers:

Babar Azam (c)
    Mohammad Rizwan (vc)(wk)
    Haider Ali/Sharjeel Khan

Middle-Order:
    Sohaib Maqsood
    Shoaib Malik
    Iftikhar Ahmed
    Sarfaraz Ahmed (wk)

All-Rounders:
    Imad Wasim
    Mohammad Nawaz
    Aamir Yamin

Pacers:
    Shaheen Shah Afridi
    Hasan Ali
    Wahab Riaz/Imran Khan Sr.
    Shahnawaz Dahani

Spinner:
    Usman Qadir/Zahid Mahmood

My explanation is below:

Shoaib Malik is perhaps the most noticeable name, and he is solely included due to the fact that Mohammad Hafeez is an uncertain selection given his health issues right now.

Next up is the issue with Sharjeel Khan and Haider Ali; both are good when they are on song, but they are hardly on song. Sharjeel has fitness going against him, whereas his LHB is an advantage. Haider has age on his side and is in fact more versatile (can bat anywhere ranging from an opener to a #6). In a T20 World Cup, you need someone who is adaptable to various roles, and I think Haider can be of great use with regards to this.

The rest of the middle-order is quite self-explanatory. There are some reliable guys, and some good players of spin in there as well. Some of the guys can also bowl a few overs if needed, which is always a positive in T20 cricket.

In the all-rounders, people may be shocked that I have dropped Shadab Khan. Let's face it, he has regressed too much to be considered. His stint in the NT20 cup has proven how ineffective he has become as a bowler on wickets that were assisting his counterparts. Additionally, finger-spinners have more purchase in the UAE which is why Nawaz is a better choice, though I have included a wrist-spinner if the pitch does appear to be very conducive to spin.

Aamir Yamin's inclusion will create a lot of balance for us should we decide to go with an extra pacer. His ability to bowl an over or two in the powerplay is of great value, whereas his batting ability has been under-rated for quite some time now. In the lower-order, he can be the perfect player to come in and play a good cameo inning once in a while.

Both Wahab Riaz and Imran Khan Sr. are good contenders for the role. Wahab has limitations going against him: he is unable to contain runs sometimes and is inconsistent, and cannot bowl in the powerplay. IKS is different, he is instrumental in the powerplay but can also come back in the middle overs, leaving us the chance to reserve one of Hasan Ali or Shaheen Shah Afridi for the death almost entirely. Wahab's record in the PSL in UAE is excellent, but then again, IKS is not that far behind on current form. Given that I've included Shahnawaz Dahani already giving me someone who can run in and bowl short, I'd take IKS.

The spinner is a bigger question-mark. It's quite clear that Usman Qadir spins the ball more, but has less experience and is less accurate. He is also a bit inconsistent and lacks control. Zahid Mahmood is a bowler who could be successful in the UAE: he bowls stump-to-stump and has a flat trajectory, and doesn't really toss it up. I'd take Zahid Mahmood to the T20 World Cup, I think that he is the more mature option.

I'll leave it at that, because I think this is the best squad we can take. Let's see what Mohammad Wasim comes up with.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smkk View Post
    Apart from Sohaib Maqsood, I am in agreement for all the changes. Instead Fakhar Zaman should be brought in for Khusdil Shah. There is no place for unfit and sitting duck like Sharjeel Khan in the team.
    Sohaib Maqsood is worse than Asif Ali and Sohail Tanvir when it comes to taking catches. His fielding is my biggest issue, not his batting. His fielding will cost us games, unless we hide him in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by realitygaf View Post
    Shoaib Malik has not done anything to warrant a selection. Asif ali today played better than him. Also Fakhar zaman got 49 today. Sohaib got 75 yesterday. Fakhar has not made his case yet

Amongst batsmen , the following top run getters should be considered

Babar azam
    Haider ali
    Sahibzada farhan
    Muhammad rizwan
    Muhammad Nawaz
    Muhammad ikhlaq
    Sohaib Maqsood
    Sharjeel khan

Amongst the bowlers these top wicket takers should be considered

Shahnawaz dahani
    Imran khan sr
    Shaheen afridi
    zahid Mahmood
    Muhammad wasim jr
    Hasan Ali
    Wahab Riaz

Thereís 5-6 players in our WT20 team that have also not done anything to merit a selection in the team. Asif Ali has never won a game for Pakistan and he never will, heís a batsman that gets pushed down the order and comes in after the like of Shadab and Imad, that just shows that his team donít back him to play more than 10 balls. What they expect of him is to hit a quick fire 20-30, we already have Hassan Ali who can do that so why have Asif Ali in the team?

It would be harsh to drop Maqsood due to the fact that he just played a good inning; Fakhar hasn't performed in a while.

Mohammad Hafeez, unfortunately, has food poisoning and dengue fever, so I don't think he'll play at the WC.

In his place, I'd consider Amir Yamin or Iftikhar Ahmed.

With the rest of the changes, I agree.
    Sohaib Maqsood is a liability in the field, along with Asif Ali and Azam Khan, all three players will probably be our boundary riders😂

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadab Khan so far:

Time to find out whether he's untouchable or not. I'm not sure i have faith in the selectors to make the right call regarding his obviously untenable position in the final squad.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shadab Khan so far:

The vice-captain of Pakistan's World Cup team.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    10 guys who have caught the eye with the bat in the tournament so far (in no particular order)

1. Sharjeel Khan
    2. Haider Ali
    3. Babar Azam
    4. Khurram Manzoor
    5. Anwar Ali
    6. Rizwan
    7. Ahmad Shahzad
    8. Sahibzada Farhan
    9. Nasir Nawaz
    10. Aamer Yamin

There is absolutely no denying that these boys are playing some good cricket. I’ve excluded Sohaib Maqsood purposefully because he has 1 very good innings but the poor fielding cannot excuse him. This kind of fielding cannot be acceptable from a person that isn’t unfit like Sharjeel or Azam.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Clear, Straight swaps right now:

1. Haider Ali for Khushdil Shah

2. Shahnawaz Dahani for Mohammad Hasnain

3. Anwar Ali for Asif Ali

4. Akhlaq for Azam Khan

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is the use of announcing squad beforehand then if idea is to make most recent tournament form before WT20 basis for picking or dropping players?

I can understand some small tactical additions. Like for e.g. if team mgmt feels that wkts at WC necessitate having a particular type of spinner/pacer/batsman which current squad lacks then such change may be considered (although it would be unfair to drop someone to make such a change).

People should realise that form doesn't always carry. In the end it is skill, experience, mental strength and luck that determines tournament performance.

We have seen in past how players like Dhawan, Fakhar go into big tourneys looking poor/average and just suddenly wake up one day and turn everything around. Same we have seen players/teams look brilliant in leadup to cup and then just go off boil in crucial moments.

It is ok for fans to do U-turns but selectors are not running a reality show. They should have strength to stick with their convictions.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The date for the squad announcement is per ICC I believe.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A revised 15-man squad I would consider taking:

Shoaib Malik is perhaps the most noticeable name, and he is solely included due to the fact that Mohammad Hafeez is an uncertain selection given his health issues right now.
    I would consider taking Malik solely for the India game, as he usually plays well against them.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azam Khan needs to go from this squad. I would add Haider Ali.

And I would add Dahani for either Rauf or Hasnain.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azam Khan with a paltry score of 2 runs in 4 balls is not making his case easy about justifying his selection.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Birmingham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    I would consider taking Malik solely for the India game, as he usually plays well against them.
    Thatís a myth now that Malik does well against India . The last 5-6 matches he has played against them he has not done anything of note .

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I mean seriously - there is now way Azam Khan, Asif Ali, and Khushdil going to the WC with these kind of pathetic performances.

Haider Ali is doing good, this Bangalzai is also doing good, Sarfi is doing good, there are many good contenders.
    Last edited by MenInG; 1st October 2021 at 22:10.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2859 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Khushdil Shah so far:

71 runs in 4 innings

Azam Khan so far:

53 runs in 4 innings

Updated:

Khushdil Shah

96 runs in 5 innings

Azam Khan so far:

55 runs in 5 innings

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sohaib Maqsood is worse than Asif Ali and Sohail Tanvir when it comes to taking catches. His fielding is my biggest issue, not his batting. His fielding will cost us games, unless we hide him in the field.

There’s 5-6 players in our WT20 team that have also not done anything to merit a selection in the team. Asif Ali has never won a game for Pakistan and he never will, he’s a batsman that gets pushed down the order and comes in after the like of Shadab and Imad, that just shows that his team don’t back him to play more than 10 balls. What they expect of him is to hit a quick fire 20-30, we already have Hassan Ali who can do that so why have Asif Ali in the team?

Sohaib Maqsood is a liability in the field, along with Asif Ali and Azam Khan, all three players will probably be our boundary riders��
    One can hide someone like Sohaib Maqsood if he's performing well, like he's doing now.

Guys like Khushdil and Asif are liabilities as batsmen, Sohaib perhaps isn't.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Only a miracle can now save Azam's place in the T20 World Cup squad.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenKhan View Post
    Thatís a myth now that Malik does well against India . The last 5-6 matches he has played against them he has not done anything of note .
    True, Malik is not going to do anything in WC, he has never performed in big tournaments.

He's finished.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Dahani is also a must in ahead of Hasnain or Rauf.

If you are going in with Babar and Rizwan as openers and you lose 2 quick wickets, which can always happen, it's Game Over for Pakistan with that middle order.

They are literally banking on Babar and Rizwan to give them stable starts every single game, meaning those two play atleast 12 overs every game, and then leave it to the so called hitters. Not going to work out folks.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a general performance watch:

Reminder that the squad is:

Batsmen:

Babar Azam (c)
    Mohammad Rizwan (wk)
    Fakhar Zaman
    Asif Ali
    Sohaib Maqsood
    Khushdil Shah
    Azam Khan (wk)

All-Rounders:

Mohammad Hafeez
    Imad Wasim
    Shadab Khan
    Mohammad Nawaz
    Mohammad Wasim

Frontline Bowlers:

Haris Rauf
    Shaheen Shah Afridi
    Mohammad Hasnain
    Usman Qadir
    Hasan Ali
    Shahnawaz Dahani

Babar Azam
    Mohammad Rizwan
    Sohaib Maqsood
    Mohammad Hafeez
    Iftikhar Ahmed
    Amir Yamin
    Imad Wasim
    Shadab Khan
    Hasan Ali
    Shaheen Shah Afridi

Thank you. I like this concept OP. I have had a bit of free time recently so have followed the National T20 more than I thought I would be able to. This T20 CWC may be the first one which I follow from start to finish, let's see.

I think it is time to acknowledge that none of the supposed hitters (Sohaib, Khushdil, Asif, Azam) have had any real consistency in their striking to talk about. Even when the likes of Sohaib M have scored runs they have shown clear deficiencies in their technique - even for T20 standards - on the pancakes that Pindi has served up.

I think loading the squad with utility players can actually give PAK a lot of 2-over options. Given the typical contribution from Sohaib, Khushdil, Asif and Azam is a 10 ball 15 or 5 ball 10, this can be replicated reasonably well, with decent consistency by the likes of Imad, Shadab, Hasan, Wasim Jr.

I would say Malik has a shot meritocratically but may get passed over unduly. His strike rate may be a shade below what the (no)hit squad (S, K, A and Az) offer but his consistency with the bat, fielding ability and bowling optionality (1-2 overs) trumps the package offered by the four pretenders.

Iftikhar is perhaps the only other person who comes close but his batting ability, bowling and fielding ability may each still be second to that of Malik. I would say he is a poor man's Malik, at this point in time.

I also feel that there should ideally be no more than 1 person in the team who cannot bat at all. Given the state of things, I feel Shaheen should be the only such person. Otherwise we should bat till 10. Qadir has not been consistent enough for us to have two supposed bowlers in the side. Imran has done well but again is a little bit of a question mark on the lower bouncing wickets - on the fence with him but that's because I do not have as much faith in PAK's out and out bowlers as far as taking wickets is concerned.

From No.6 inclusive and onwards, PAK should be happy to play players with career strike rates of ~120-140, who can bowl 1-3 overs, field reasonably well and can score a 5 ball 8 (or 10 with some streaky luck) at a reasonable probability - where on the wagon wheel these runs come from should not matter; I would expect streaky edges to the third man region but PAK should take that. This entails hitting one boundary (4 runs) and not playing 2-3 dots in their 5 ball innings.

This can allow PAK to go in with 7, possibly 8 if ideally Malik or less ideally Iftikhar make the cut, bowling options all capable of bowling 1-3 overs.

On the batting side, Babar (30), Rizwan (30) and Hafeez (20) need to aim to face around 80 deliveries collectively. If BA and MR can strike at ~130 with Hafeez striking at ~135 they should be looking at 105 off 80 which is the base case. Then if the rest of the team can play around usual 5 ball 7 or 5 ball innings, PAK should look to post 160-170. With as many bowling options, of which 4 could be spinners, PAK should look to challenge for the game each time unless someone runs away with it (may happen against better teams but PAK should be in the game each time).

All hypothetical and only base case discussed. Downside case of our trio of BA, MR, MH collapsing is not assumed. Likewise, no assumption made for an upside case where one of these three or our 5 ball 8 players goes big etc.

A little bit more of "moneyball" (family showed me a recent-ish movie on sports stats, watch it if you have not seen it) and a lot less of daleri can go a long way.

All thoughts welcome!

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The WC winning squad:

Sharjeel
    Babar
    Rizwan
    Hafeez
    Haider
    Fakher
    Madi
    Shadi
    Hasan Ali
    Shaheen
    Dhani

4 reserve Wahab Maqsood Nawaz and M Wasim fast bowler

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    578 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_ahm View Post
    Dahani is also a must in ahead of Hasnain or Rauf.

If you are going in with Babar and Rizwan as openers and you lose 2 quick wickets, which can always happen, it's Game Over for Pakistan with that middle order.

They are literally banking on Babar and Rizwan to give them stable starts every single game, meaning those two play atleast 12 overs every game, and then leave it to the so called hitters. Not going to work out folks.
    When you can swing the ball at 90mph, you have something serious to work with but Rauf doesn't realise what he has and is probably too dumb to ever realise. Will someone tell him to bowl fast and just outside the off stump and no short stuff that reaches the batsmans midriff. It's not rocket science but for Rauf, it's like quantum Physics.

Debut
    Sep 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this T20 has been a blessing in disguise, opportunities were given to azam khan and khushdil and asif ali...they have all failed.

if we had played NZ, we would have never known this.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yk313 View Post
    Thank you. I like this concept OP. I have had a bit of free time recently so have followed the National T20 more than I thought I would be able to. This T20 CWC may be the first one which I follow from start to finish, let's see.

I think it is time to acknowledge that none of the supposed hitters (Sohaib, Khushdil, Asif, Azam) have had any real consistency in their striking to talk about. Even when the likes of Sohaib M have scored runs they have shown clear deficiencies in their technique - even for T20 standards - on the pancakes that Pindi has served up.

I think loading the squad with utility players can actually give PAK a lot of 2-over options. Given the typical contribution from Sohaib, Khushdil, Asif and Azam is a 10 ball 15 or 5 ball 10, this can be replicated reasonably well, with decent consistency by the likes of Imad, Shadab, Hasan, Wasim Jr.

I would say Malik has a shot meritocratically but may get passed over unduly. His strike rate may be a shade below what the (no)hit squad (S, K, A and Az) offer but his consistency with the bat, fielding ability and bowling optionality (1-2 overs) trumps the package offered by the four pretenders.

Iftikhar is perhaps the only other person who comes close but his batting ability, bowling and fielding ability may each still be second to that of Malik. I would say he is a poor man's Malik, at this point in time.

I also feel that there should ideally be no more than 1 person in the team who cannot bat at all. Given the state of things, I feel Shaheen should be the only such person. Otherwise we should bat till 10. Qadir has not been consistent enough for us to have two supposed bowlers in the side. Imran has done well but again is a little bit of a question mark on the lower bouncing wickets - on the fence with him but that's because I do not have as much faith in PAK's out and out bowlers as far as taking wickets is concerned.

From No.6 inclusive and onwards, PAK should be happy to play players with career strike rates of ~120-140, who can bowl 1-3 overs, field reasonably well and can score a 5 ball 8 (or 10 with some streaky luck) at a reasonable probability - where on the wagon wheel these runs come from should not matter; I would expect streaky edges to the third man region but PAK should take that. This entails hitting one boundary (4 runs) and not playing 2-3 dots in their 5 ball innings.

This can allow PAK to go in with 7, possibly 8 if ideally Malik or less ideally Iftikhar make the cut, bowling options all capable of bowling 1-3 overs.

On the batting side, Babar (30), Rizwan (30) and Hafeez (20) need to aim to face around 80 deliveries collectively. If BA and MR can strike at ~130 with Hafeez striking at ~135 they should be looking at 105 off 80 which is the base case. Then if the rest of the team can play around usual 5 ball 7 or 5 ball innings, PAK should look to post 160-170. With as many bowling options, of which 4 could be spinners, PAK should look to challenge for the game each time unless someone runs away with it (may happen against better teams but PAK should be in the game each time).

All hypothetical and only base case discussed. Downside case of our trio of BA, MR, MH collapsing is not assumed. Likewise, no assumption made for an upside case where one of these three or our 5 ball 8 players goes big etc.

A little bit more of "moneyball" (family showed me a recent-ish movie on sports stats, watch it if you have not seen it) and a lot less of daleri can go a long way.

All thoughts welcome!
    Firstly, I've seen Moneyball, a great movie.

Secondly, I agree with a lot of points that you've made. The nature of wickets in the IPL has been an eye-opener. These wickets are almost certain to be the same ones we see during the T20 WC.

I posted a squad which I would take to the WC in the thread, but I'll put it below:

Openers:

Babar Azam (c)
    Mohammad Rizwan (vc)(wk)
    Haider Ali/Sharjeel Khan

Middle-Order:
    Sohaib Maqsood
    Shoaib Malik/Mohammad Hafeez (subject to fitness)
    Iftikhar Ahmed
    Sarfaraz Ahmed (wk)

All-Rounders:
    Imad Wasim
    Mohammad Nawaz
    Aamir Yamin

Pacers:
    Shaheen Shah Afridi
    Hasan Ali
    Wahab Riaz/Imran Khan Sr.
    Shahnawaz Dahani

Spinner:
    Usman Qadir/Zahid Mahmood

On these wickets, 160-170 is a great score for batting, because even the worst spinners have some purchase from the wickets.

If we just look at the teams that are doing well, we'll find that their pacers have good variations such as the slower-ball, and they have a variety of spinners for different occasions.

If we start analyzing the spinners:

Ashwin, Axar Patel, Lalit Yadav from DC all tend to bowl at the stumps with correct field placements. They don't rip the ball, but the spongey nature of the wickets means that the ball can get stuck and doesn't come onto the bat easily. On these wickets, I have seen guys like Mohammad Rizwan, Sarfaraz Ahmed, and Shoaib Malik consistently keep the scoreboard ticking, which is what is needed.

Wrist-spinners have struggled a bit more, though their performances have shown that the googly is a very important weapon on these surfaces, as the ball can tend to grip once in a while. Spinners who bowl straight at the stumps have been largely successful, looking at examples like Varun Chakravarthy, Sunil Narine, and more.

The pacers succeeding right now are those that possess good variations both off the pitch and in the air. Harshal Patel has been incredible to watch, his slower-balls and his cutters are both wonderfully executed and show that even if batsmen can pick the slower ball, dispatching it is a different issue on its own.

I'll point to a much better example being Mumbai Indians. Touted for their middle order that possesses so much hitting power, they have failed miserably. The key on these wickets is having batsmen who can find singles and doubles, and score the odd boundary. This is why players like Ruturaj Gaikwad, Ventakesh Iyer, and others are doing so well, and are so consistent. They exploit the powerplay but understand that saving wickets for the death allows them to explode.

Might I remind people here that Pakistan became the #1 T20 team in the UAE thanks to this model: accumulate runs in the powerplay, continue to keep the scoreboard ticking, and explode towards the end. This model is very successful, and a number of IPL teams are demonstrating it now. IPL teams that tried exploding before the 15th over have succumbed to major collapses and this is a sign that we need players capable of understanding game situations, and the situation on these UAE wickets.

Moving on, swing bowlers haven't had much of a say in this IPL. Even in the PSL, swing bowlers weren't the ones making much of a difference: bowlers who steamed in and bowled short of a length were successful. Additionally, bowlers who had decent change-ups also saw a lot of success (Faulkner in PSL, Harshal in IPL).

This is why I think it is unwise to carry these fake X-factor players, they will ruin our methodology that brought a lot of success in the UAE.

Mohammad Rizwan and Babar Azam opening will enable us to get off to consistent starts without losing wickets. Both of them have demonstrated the capacity to assume roles; if we are say 50-0 after 7 overs, one of them usually plays as the aggressor to get the tempo back and maximize the runs. Rizwan's rotation of strike means that he is almost always going to be the person who hangs around till the end. Babar can read slower balls and does fairly well against spinners, so he will probably need to take the role of the aggressor. In case of a collapse against some high-quality seam bowling, we have a long middle-order capable of adjusting and assuming responsibility.

A bowling attack of Zahid Mahmood, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Imad Wasim, Imran Khan Sr. and Wahab Riaz/Shahnawaz Dahani provides us a lot of depth.

With the part-time spin options of Malik and Iftikhar, perhaps the need for Imad might not be needed on some occasions, hence someone like Aamir Yamin can be slotted in to give some more lower-order firepower.

A lot of options available, let's hope our selectors pick the best.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2859 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    How they stand at the moment

Batsmen:

Babar Azam (c) - 4 matches, 215 runs
    Mohammad Rizwan (wk) - 5 matches, 176 runs
    Fakhar Zaman - 3 matches, 76 runs
    Asif Ali - 5 matches, 82 runs
    Sohaib Maqsood - 5 matches, 171 runs
    Khushdil Shah - 5 matches, 96 runs
    Azam Khan (wk) - 5 matches, 55 runs

All-Rounders:

Mohammad Hafeez
    Imad Wasim - 5 matches, 45 runs, 3 wickets
    Shadab Khan - 5 matches, 48 runs, 3 wickets
    Mohammad Nawaz - 5 matches, 127 runs, 4 wickets
    Mohammad Wasim - 4 matches, 45 runs, 5 wickets

Frontline Bowlers:

Haris Rauf - 5 matches, 6 wickets, econ: 7.75
    Shaheen Shah Afridi - 5 matches, 10 wickets, econ: 8.83
    Mohammad Hasnain - 5 matches, 5 wickets, econ: 10.0
    Usman Qadir - 4 matches, 4 wickets, econ: 7.09
    Hassan Ali - 4 matches, 5 wickets, econ: 9.35
    Shahnawaz Dahani - 5 matches, 5 wickets, econ: 7.43
    Last edited by MenInG; 2nd October 2021 at 18:09.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Hasnain's form has been a concern so far.

He's been carted around at nearly 10 an over in the National T20 Cup.

Dahani or Hasnain?

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dahani or Hasnain?
    Wahab.

Debut
    Aug 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan's main problem is that Babar and Rizwan want to make centuries like Tendulkar and whether their country suffers as a result , they do not care about that. Fail to understand when we have explosive batters at the top, likes of fakhar and sohaib, why babar and rizwan with low strike rates want to open and put the rest of the unit in a position of deficit after 6 overs. Most importantly this compels pakistan to choose rash hitters/low quality batters for middle order, because consistently good middle order batter are not so abundant in Pakistan, Iftikhar is probably best here. They are destroying Pakistan's t20 chances.

Babar is the best player of spin in Pakistan squad, he along with Rizwan are very good at milking singles and their hitting ability is at least as good as malik/sarfraz. Why does not he go down to number 5. Let Fakhar and Sohaib open, Hafeez one down, Nawaz or Imad at 4, himself at 5, Rizwan or Asif at number 6,7 depending upon the requirements of the match. This will keep the opposition tense that babar and Rizwan still remain all the time. Babar will be like Inzimam, making Pakistan win matches.

Selection of Hafeez in T20 world cup is necessary due to his off spin but he is not a good batter. He is another of the mediocrities we have. Malik's case is even much more problematic than Hafeez: How? let me explain:

Old mediocre players and tested ICC event failures. They were not match winners or legends even at their prime form, I am not even sure a prime ever existed. Out of the past 15 ICC event campaigns for Pakistan, malik never performed even when at peak of his playing capability. Malik helped Pakistan win one match against India in champions trophy in 2007 and once against Afghanistan in those campaigns.
    All the campaigns I remember post 1983, did the approach to go with old tested mediocres or even legends like shoiab akhtar 2011, inzi 2007, waqar 2003, wasim in 2003, younis in 2015, yousuf in 2011, miandad 1996, saeed anwar 2003 ever help?
    Supporters of Malik should tell that how many matches per 100 matches has he won for Pakistan . He also had very bad recent form in CPL. Just because he is politically suave, I am against his selection and think that Sarfraz is a better and 6 years younger bet in the middle order based on spin playing options. Adding both Malik and Hafeez is an old and tested recipe for world cup disaster and more of trying the same thing and expecting a different result kind of idiocy

I would go with Shaheen, Haris and Dahani in the playing 11. Hasan ali has not been so effective off late, his bowling is based on skidding balls, if you have played cricket, you know when batters get used to it after a couple of years, you get mediocre results.

For leg spin, I am afraid right now Shadab is the only option. Again due to Paakistan's batting composition, you need some hitters down the order and he is also a good fielder. Zahid, however is the best leg spin bowler in Pakistan and the only one who can compare to chahal, aadil rasheed or rashid khan.
    Last edited by jawwada; 2nd October 2021 at 21:14.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malik reminding everyone why he deserves to be in the WC squad.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Malik reminding everyone why he deserves to be in the WC squad.
    1 good knock isn't enough...he has been struggling in recent games and has a history of always failing at the big stage.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because he finally scored, doesnít mean he has to be selected? Look at his recent scores at cricinfo, terrible to say atleast. Beside that, name one game where he has done something special in world cup or champions trophy games? He has always struggled in big tournaments and has been a liability. So no he doesnít deserve to be in the squad.

Debut
    Aug 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good that he is getting some form. I am against his selection, but if he gets selected, the responsiblity comes squarely at Babar rizwan opening pair. If opposition gets one of them out, as england did in recent t20 series, the rest of the side is horribly exposed to spin. There is no option left than having a malik/sarfraz at 5. If you guys want to know what will happen with Pakistan in the t20 world cup, watch last t20 of recent england series, how england spun Pakistan out of the series. I guess India knows that winning against Pakistan is key for their chances, therefore they have picked 5 spinners. Because I know, there is no one thinking of breaking rizwan babar opening pair, I hope Malik gets in really good form and gets selected, as with current batting order, there are no options but having a malik like player who can keep scoreboard going

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dahani or Hasnain?
    If Pakistan give Dahani a chance, they won't look back again. He is a very good bowler.

Debut
    Sep 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hasnain and Musa remind me both of Muhammad Sami. Fast bowling but no planning. Dahani and Naseem shah both change strategies if they are up against the wall

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashmal View Post
    1 good knock isn't enough...he has been struggling in recent games and has a history of always failing at the big stage.
    He did exceptionally well in the PSL...half of which took place in the UAE. Young players regard him as a calming influence at the crease and in the dressing room. He's one of the best players of spin the world. And he has done superbly in the two games he has played in the NT20 Cup.

That's alot of stuff in the merits column and just one in the demerits column: that he didn't do well in a meaningless T20 league that took place half way around the world, where the pitches are completely different to the ones in UAE.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He did exceptionally well in the PSL...half of which took place in the UAE. Young players regard him as a calming influence at the crease and in the dressing room. He's one of the best players of spin the world. And he has done superbly in the two games he has played in the NT20 Cup.

That's alot of stuff in the merits column and just one in the demerits column: that he didn't do well in a meaningless T20 league that took place half way around the world, where the pitches are completely different to the ones in UAE.
    So that means we should select only players who has done well in the UAE? And he has done well you are saying in NT20 cup, but according to you it shouldnít count cause it isnít in UAE hahaÖ
    Well I can be a calm figure at the crease and dressingroom is well, maybe they should select me then?
    You are saying meaningless T20 league? What makes you think that? What makes PSL better then their league?

Once again, can you name one game on big stages like world cup or champions trophy where he performed??

Experience is important yess, but quality and performance should always be the criteria to be selected.