Why don't the 2009 T20 WC win & 2017 CT win not get the same adulation as the 1992 ODI WC win?

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Why don't the 2009 T20 WC win & 2017 CT win not get the same adulation as the 1992 ODI WC win?

There has been some criticism aimed at the PCB and the media for always projecting and portraying the 1992 ODI WC Win and promoting IK's legendary stature but the same level of adulation is never given to the 2009 T20 WC Squad and captain Younis Khan and the 2017 CT Squad and captain Sarfaraz Ahmed?

Do you feel that this criticism is justified? What is so special about the 1992 ODI WC win that it constantly gets mentioned and hyped over the 2009 T20 WC win and the 2017 CT win?

One could argue that the talent that IK had in the 80's and 90's has never ever been found in Pakistan Cricket again.
    Last edited by MenInG; 23rd October 2021 at 13:25.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    T20 is still Mickey mouse competition and champions trophy is not World Cup.

As such 1992 WC victory is Pakistanís best ever achievement by miles.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because the ODI WC is seen as the pinnacle of cricket.

The Champions Trophy has changed format so many times, gets randomly chopped and brought back to life and is a format that supports fluke wins ( not saying this about Paks win but in general). It is still a prestigious trophy but its a knock-off world cup and is quicky forgotten.

The T20 world cup happens far too often and because of the format it is easier for weaker teams to win.

The ODI WC is a more rigorous test, has more prestige due to its history and relative rarity ( compared to T20 WC) and generally the best team will win. It is on another level completely to the other tournaments and is a premier cricket event. It makes sense that is valued more.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Because a Champions Trophy isnít at the same level as a World Cup and because ODIs > T20s

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Same way why you dont you mention Test Mace we won under Misbah....

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Los Santos
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 50 over world cup has a much longer history and is much harder to win. Between 2007 and 2016, 5 different countries won the T20 world cup and then there wasn't one for 5 years while prior to that it was played every other year. On the other hand between 1975 - 1984 only 2 countries had won the world and the wc is only played once every 4 years with no extended breaks between so that's made the tournament so much more prestigious. It's also a much longer tournament and there's just something about the 50 over format that gives the sense of achievement and fulfillment you feel after a winning a grueling 8 hour match.

"Tea was funtaaastic" - Abhinandan

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    2009 World T20 win was special for Pakistan fans.

Champions Trophy is a joke of the tournament and true greats like say, AB de Villiers don't feel the need of performing in that tournament. Their ODI World cup average of 60+ and strike rate of 110+ talks all we had to know.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WC is the pinnacle of the sport with longest history. Look at the names who lifted the trophy: Clive Lloyd, Kapil, Border, Imran, Ranatunga, Steve Waugh, Ponting, Dhoni, Clarke, Morgan, players who had such pivotal roles in their country's cricket fortunes and in many cases shaped the future of their teams much longer after they retired. Now I don't remember who led the WT20 winning sides in half the editions. Same with CT, who was the WI skipper when they won it in 2004?

You don't see Masters events get the same importance as Grand Slams in tennis.

You don't see Champions Trophy or Azlan Shah get the same importance as World Cup in field hockey, never mind the Olympics where the sport has a 100+ years long history.

Pick any sport and you'll see a hierarchy.

I don't give as much importance to India's CT or WT20 KO losses as I give to 2003 WC final or 2019 SF.

Same with Pakistan. Which defeat hurt you more? 2007 WT20 or the 1999 final against Australia? Heck even Mohali 2011 defeat must have hurt much more than the mickey mouse final of 2007.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    CT is not a world cup

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Well duh, because it's the World cup.

Champions trophy is a bit like the Euros or the Copa America. While it's still an enjoyable tournament, a World Cup it is not. Like the FIFA WC, you remember all the cricket WC winners, but it's hard to remember all the Champions trophy winners since its inception.

As for the WT20, it's a very entertaining tournament but I think most cricket fans realise it's not the most prestigious tournament, simply because any team can win it on its day. Sri Lanka just had to play the qualifiers to qualify for the Super 12, but it wouldn't be seen as something out of the world if Sri Lanka goes on to play the final or win the WT20. It's basically an unpredictable format and anything could happen but in the case of the ODI WC, more often than not, the best team almost always wins.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because ODI world cup is still considered as the biggest achievement in cricket. T20s are widely seen as an entertaining format and the champion isn't necessarily regarded as the undisputed best team. CT is obviously not as big as a world cup.

I think even the test championship is not as much sought after, esp when they are going to play the finals every 2 years and that too with a skewed schedule where not every one plays each other and not everyone plays the same number of games, and no reciprocal home and away series. Lots of scope for improvement there.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barring England's 1966 World Cup ( football ) win - no other country celebrated its world cup win like Pakistan celebrates 1992 World Cup even today

May bcoz of Imran Khan's cult status in the country ?

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    WC 50 OVERS > t20 WC ~ Champions trophy IMO

Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two different issues put together in one question : ICC trophies and Players who won them.

ICC trophies -
    No matter which new format gets invented , 50 over WC will always remain the main objective of any team.
    India won CT two times and 2007 T20 WC but ODI WC win of 1983 and 2011 is something all Indians are more proud of.
    Why? Because it's more difficult to win Odi WC than T20 wc. It requires consistency, punching above the weight to win an ODI wc unless your team is Australia.

Believe it or not, Champions trophy never ever had that kind of following which world cup always enjoyed.

The only reason I see Pak fans still boasting about CT17 is because Pak defeated India, the arch rival.
    In India a lot of people don't even know that India is two times CT winner. If someone gives India one more ODI wc in exchange of those two champions trophy and T20 WC, I would gladly accept it.

Now coming to second point, Imran and Kapil won WC when no one (not even their countrymen) expected them to win. Fighting against all the odds and winning world cup is what they've left as their legacy.

However what amazes me is Pak cricket still revolves around Imran only which is not the case in India. Kapil will always be our legend but we moved from Kapil-Gavaskar to Sachin-Sehwagh to Dhoni to Kohli - Rohit etc. And in future they'll be replaced with new talent. The legneds don't have any say unless they hold position in management.

I know Imran is currently Patron in chief but Pakistan cricket needs to come out of that 'cornered tiger' mentality he once labelled.
    Invest in domestic cricket, select players based on merit, perform consistently. If hard work and luck favors go on to win ODI WC and Imran won't be the only face of Pak cricket.

I may be wrong but this is what I feel about Pak cricket.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
    Two different issues put together in one question : ICC trophies and Players who won them.

ICC trophies -
    No matter which new format gets invented , 50 over WC will always remain the main objective of any team.
    India won CT two times and 2007 T20 WC but ODI WC win of 1983 and 2011 is something all Indians are more proud of.
    Why? Because it's more difficult to win Odi WC than T20 wc. It requires consistency, punching above the weight to win an ODI wc unless your team is Australia.

Believe it or not, Champions trophy never ever had that kind of following which world cup always enjoyed.

The only reason I see Pak fans still boasting about CT17 is because Pak defeated India, the arch rival.
    In India a lot of people don't even know that India is two times CT winner. If someone gives India one more ODI wc in exchange of those two champions trophy and T20 WC, I would gladly accept it.

Now coming to second point, Imran and Kapil won WC when no one (not even their countrymen) expected them to win. Fighting against all the odds and winning world cup is what they've left as their legacy.

However what amazes me is Pak cricket still revolves around Imran only which is not the case in India. Kapil will always be our legend but we moved from Kapil-Gavaskar to Sachin-Sehwagh to Dhoni to Kohli - Rohit etc. And in future they'll be replaced with new talent. The legneds don't have any say unless they hold position in management.

I know Imran is currently Patron in chief but Pakistan cricket needs to come out of that 'cornered tiger' mentality he once labelled.
    Invest in domestic cricket, select players based on merit, perform consistently. If hard work and luck favors go on to win ODI WC and Imran won't be the only face of Pak cricket.

I may be wrong but this is what I feel about Pak cricket.
    Thing is Pakistan never select thier squads on merit which is a let down. The board and leaders are happy with mediocrity as long they happy and people they like are happy.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because no WC win has ever been milked more than the 1992 WC win

Imran milked a hospital and a political career out of it.

Javed milked it for one last WC tilt in 96 when he was long since past it.

Wasim milked it to save his career during Qayyum Commission and ensure purdah stays on his illicit dealings

Inzy milked it for a drab uninspired captaincy reign.

Sohail/Rameez/other gents milked media and adminstrative careers despite little to no aptitude for same.

Waqar probably only one who missed the party but then he anyway milked his friendship with 92 Bois for his multiple coaching stint with each stint progressively worse than previous

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The World Cup is on a different level to T20 tournaments and the Champions Trophy.

The prestige of winning a 50-over World Cup is far greater than any other tournament.

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1992 World Cup term pisses me off now. Sick and tired of hearing it again and again and again.