Shoaib Malik named as replacement for Sohaib Maqsood for the ICC Men's T20 World Cup

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoaib Malik named as replacement for Sohaib Maqsood for the ICC Men's T20 World Cup

Sohaib Maqsood has been ruled out of the ICC Menís T20 World Cup 2021 due to a lower back injury and has been replaced by Shoaib Malik. Sohaib had underwent MRI scans for the lower back on Thursday after picking up the injury during 6 October match against Northern and consequently missed 7 October match against Central Punjab.

Chief selector Muhammad Wasim: ďSohaib is devastated to miss out on the ICC Menís T20 World Cup as he had worked hard for this event and was in sparkling form. We feel for him but injuries are part and parcel of the sport. I am sure after undergoing rehabilitation, heíll fully recover to be available for future assignments.

ďIn his place and following discussions with the team management, we have decided to include Shoaib Malik in the side. I am sure Shoaibís experience will be handy for the entire squad.Ē

Shoaib Malik captained Pakistan in the inaugural event in 2007 and was a member of the side that won the tournament in 2009. After missing the West Indies event in 2010, he featured in the 2012, 2014 and 2016 tournaments.

The Pakistan squad for the ICC Menís T20 World Cup 2021 will depart for Dubai, United Arab Emirates, on 15 October. They will play two warm-up matches against the West Indies and South Africa on 18 and 20 October, respectively before taking on India in a Group-2 fixture on 24 October at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium.

Pakistan squad:

Babar Azam (captain, Central Punjab), Shadab Khan (vice-captain, Northern), Asif Ali (Northern), Fakhar Zaman (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Haider Ali (Northern), Haris Rauf (Northern), Hasan Ali (Central Punjab), Imad Wasim (Northern), Mohammad Hafeez (Central Punjab), Mohammad Nawaz (Northern), Mohammad Rizwan (wicketkeeper, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Mohammad Wasim Jnr (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Sarfaraz Ahmed (wicketkeeper, Sindh), Shaheen Shah Afridi (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa) and Shoaib Malik (Central Punjab)

Traveling reserves Ė Khushdil Shah (Southern Punjab), Shahnawaz Dahani (Sindh) and Usman Qadir (Central Punjab)

Player Support Personnel: Mansoor Rana (manager), Saqlain Mushtaq (interim head coach), Shahid Aslam (assistant to head coach), Matthew Hayden (batting consultant), Vernon Philander (bowling consultant), Cliffe Deacon (physiotherapist), Drikus Saaiman (strength and conditioning coach), Abdul Majeed (fielding coach), Talha Ejaz (team analyst), Col (retd) Muhammad Imran (Security Manager), Ibrahim Badees (media and digital manager), Dr Najeeb Soomro (team doctor) and Malang Ali (Masseur)

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    978 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    What an absolute joke!

Pak are taking two finished 40 yr olds (hafeez and malik) and one dud (asif).

These selectors are so clueless!

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barragan View Post
    What an absolute joke!

Yep They performed so well in 2019 world cup didnt they

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I am not fan,would not have picked him but let's hope he does well.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    269 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This is really funny .

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering pitches its good decision

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    978 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Yep They performed so well in 2019 world cup didnt they
    Completely outraged!

How many times does this cycle need to be repeated?

It's like they are brainless or something.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    New York City
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faiz1978 View Post
    Considering pitches its good decision
    He has been a liability since last time we played him, but again he was an influential person behind the scenes and have former "players" backing him causing them to select him.. Even clueless fans are backing this old hag in the team.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely outraged!

I suspect Maqsood has been sidelined here, the pressure to include Sarfraz and Malik was crazy from the social media/mainstream media.

We are back to ground zero effectively. PCB should take the Ďrebuilding processí and shove it up their behind.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better than the other options.

I'd rather have Malik than some fat kid who can't lose weight and needs to be hidden on the field, as rude as it sounds, it's the truth.

I'd rather have Malik than someone who sold his country's name when he decided to become a fixer.

The only other option who should still be included in the reserves ahead of Khushdil Shah is Iftikhar Ahmed.

The argument that players like Khushdil/Azam need exposure is flawed: they need to perform to get this exposure.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just cancelled a party to watch the India game at my place ��

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit and pieces squad as far as batting is concerned Hafeez and Malik both bottlers on the big stage and well last their prime with Asif whoís a no hoper other than slogging a few sixes and a raw Haider who needs more time.

Expecting the worst here but hoping for some light as conditions will be favourable but under performance here should mean the end of Hafeez and Malik for good in domestic aswell somehow not expecting them to retire in a blaze of glory.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprising decision.

But, Shoaib is a good player of spin. Let's see how it goes.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Glasgow
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is going to be an unmitigated disaster. At his age he's showing signs that he can't cope with elite players anymore. Pakistan can't expect old men to carry their team at international tournaments.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very happy with the team selected, wouldíve been better if we could replace Asif Ali with Sharjeel.

Babar
    Rizwan
    Haider
    Hafeez (2 overs of spin)
    Malik (2 overs of spin)
    Fakhar
    Asif Ali
    Hassan Ali
    Shadab Khan
    Haris Rauf
    Shaheen Afridi

What.A.Team🤤

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    I am not fan,would not have picked him but let's hope he does well.
    Closest like for like replacement atleast in name, Shoaib for Sohaib, on serious note given the option it was between him and Sharjeel i would still back Malik to overall be more utility player for team as full package in field and as bowler, as pure batsmen Sharjeel would definitely edge it but still I think Malik is better choice.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka81 View Post
    This is going to be an unmitigated disaster. At his age he's showing signs that he can't cope with elite players anymore. Pakistan can't expect old men to carry their team at international tournaments.
    He never did it in his prime aswell which World Cup was Malik a star in conditions are favourable our chances increase in low scoring matches in high scoring games we look to be outclassed.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Completely outraged!

This is why they are so behind other teams

No other half decent team would do this No wonder pakistan cricket is lagging behind The whole system is corrupt and unfair

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good decision. Shoaib is still the best player of spin in Pak.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They will have to play Malik now in the 11 , no matter what

If both of them fail to win this tournament, and if there was an early exit then will get a very bad ending to their careers

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    Very happy with the team selected, would’ve been better if we could replace Asif Ali with Sharjeel.

Babar
    Rizwan
    Haider
    Hafeez (2 overs of spin)
    Malik (2 overs of spin)
    Fakhar
    Asif Ali
    Hassan Ali
    Shadab Khan
    Haris Rauf
    Shaheen Afridi

What.A.Team��
    I agree, a good team now. We don't have the son of someone's friend who has hardly contributed with the bat since his career began as a "powah hitter".

Sharjeel would feel done harshly, because compared to other "has beens" he has come out and performed in domestic. He failed to connect domestic form to international form, but I agree, he offers more than Asif Ali or Khushdil Shah, who is somehow still in the squad.

I keep seeing people who are so adamant on "youngsters" playing, and I see this argument that we're back to square one.

Need I remind everyone here that Misbah-ul-Haq broke a winning T20I squad combination by introducing his boys Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad.

He then succumbed to pressure and brought back Malik and Hafeez, who performed very well compared with other contemporaries, before he randomly decided to drop Malik before the New Zealand series.

So you're back to square one not because of poor selections but because of a lack of options. In the three decades that Malik has participated in, even Hafeez, it is disappointing that we have not developed a single batsman of quality. Those who say batsmen like Khushdil/Asif/Azam are good products need to bleach their eyes about 6 times, I'm sure they're not seeing things the way they are.

If we had someone like an Ishan Kishan, someone who was actually talented, I'd have no reservations in dropping Malik.

The fact of the matter is that there is very limited talent present in our system. We have a lot of hard-workers, but not enough talented players, and Malik is a hard worker. He may not look elegant but he gets the job done, whereas other players can't even get any job done regardless of however many opportunities they are given.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UzmanBeast View Post
    I agree, a good team now. We don't have the son of someone's friend who has hardly contributed with the bat since his career began as a "powah hitter".

Sharjeel would feel done harshly, because compared to other "has beens" he has come out and performed in domestic. He failed to connect domestic form to international form, but I agree, he offers more than Asif Ali or Khushdil Shah, who is somehow still in the squad.

I keep seeing people who are so adamant on "youngsters" playing, and I see this argument that we're back to square one.

Need I remind everyone here that Misbah-ul-Haq broke a winning T20I squad combination by introducing his boys Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad.

He then succumbed to pressure and brought back Malik and Hafeez, who performed very well compared with other contemporaries, before he randomly decided to drop Malik before the New Zealand series.

So you're back to square one not because of poor selections but because of a lack of options. In the three decades that Malik has participated in, even Hafeez, it is disappointing that we have not developed a single batsman of quality. Those who say batsmen like Khushdil/Asif/Azam are good products need to bleach their eyes about 6 times, I'm sure they're not seeing things the way they are.

If we had someone like an Ishan Kishan, someone who was actually talented, I'd have no reservations in dropping Malik.

The fact of the matter is that there is very limited talent present in our system. We have a lot of hard-workers, but not enough talented players, and Malik is a hard worker. He may not look elegant but he gets the job done, whereas other players can't even get any job done regardless of however many opportunities they are given.
    I canít believe Iím seeing people on social media crying over the selection of Malik and not bringing Azam Khan back into the team🤣

You ask them what Azam Khan has done to get into the team and theyíll have nothing to say apart from bringing up the stats where heís smashed Amir, Rashid Khan etc for 6ís. Weíve gotten to a point where players are being backed to perform in the highest stage just because they can hit a 6 of a certain bowler. They donít care about strike rates or averages or form etc, if he can hit a 6 then heís good enough for Pakistan and that too at the WT20.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a bad decision. I was secretly hoping for Rumman Raees's inclusion.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an absolute joke!

Right decision sharjel wouldn't have played if he was picked.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better than the other options.

I'd rather have Malik than some fat kid who can't lose weight and needs to be hidden on the field, as rude as it sounds, it's the truth.

I'd rather have Malik than someone who sold his country's name when he decided to become a fixer.

The only other option who should still be included in the reserves ahead of Khushdil Shah is Iftikhar Ahmed.

The argument that players like Khushdil/Azam need exposure is flawed: they need to perform to get this exposure.
    The process selecting in Khushdil in the reserves is that if a batter did get injured he do make the 15 and the person replacing the injured place should be in the reserves.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, there arenít a ton of good options. The shorter format and conditions plays into Malikís favour.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    They will have to play Malik now in the 11 , no matter what

If both of them fail to win this tournament, and if there was an early exit then will get a very bad ending to their careers
    Yaar...aap kis duniya me rehte hain?

These two aint going anywhere...they will play next T20 World Cup too - which happens to be next year - and if my memory serves me correct, Hafeez still hasnt retired from LOIs...so roll on World Cup 2023!

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hafeez and Malik can give them Part Time overs.Wasim Jnr gives them depth in batting.I think this is the best squad available

Rizwan
    Babar
    Haider ali
    Hafeez
    Malik
    Asif Ali
    Imad
    Shadab
    Hassan Ali
    Wasim Jnr
    Shaheen

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At the end of the day, Malik is good vs spin and they're set to face India/Afghanistan and likely Bangladesh as well. Spin will be important. Still a downgrade in the batting department though.

Fielding wise, it is a massive boost though going from Maqsood who can't even make dolly catches to Malik who is still on the best fielders on the squad.

I feel like Iftikhar would have been the better option though and gives you a backup for Hafeez in case he struggles. Malik doesn't really bowl anymore so even as a part-timer vs lefty's, he is unlikely to get a look.

Debut
    Sep 2020
    Venue
    Dubai, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as they perform, I have no issue with Age,

Who ever do better for Pak should be in the team irrespective of there age. ATB Pak....

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Malik is a safe catcher though.

Debut
    Nov 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lack of options is the reason why Pakistan have opted for Shoaib Malik, then again it is not such a bad move, I have always like Shoaib Malik and he had his wish to retire after T20WC 2021 so it is good to give him that opportunity.

His experience will be valuable and either him or Sarfi should get into the playing XI at No. 6 ahead of Asif Ali is what I would suggest.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Malik is as old as game of cricket, I mean perhaps the only guy to play over 4 decades - 90s, 2000s/10s/20s and all this while he was never an assured selection in the team..he's a case study in himself..

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even legends like inzamam, javed, imran and wasim havent had as long a career and as many lives as these guys

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Shoaib Malik is as old as game of cricket, I mean perhaps the only guy to play over 4 decades - 90s, 2000s/10s/20s and all this while he was never an assured selection in the team..he's a case study in himself..
    Sachin as well.. 80s 90s 2000s and 2010s

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    I suspect Maqsood has been sidelined here, the pressure to include Sarfraz and Malik was crazy from the social media/mainstream media.

We are back to ground zero effectively. PCB should take the ‘rebuilding process’ and shove it up their behind.
    If selectors are falling to fan pressure fire them... majority of the fans are brain dead lol

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Sachin as well.. 80s 90s 2000s and 2010s
    Sachin was a legend. Malik is Malik

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an absolute joke!

Lol, should someone see if Azam Khan is still available? There are no options bhai.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    I can’t believe I’m seeing people on social media crying over the selection of Malik and not bringing Azam Khan back into the team��

You ask them what Azam Khan has done to get into the team and they’ll have nothing to say apart from bringing up the stats where he’s smashed Amir, Rashid Khan etc for 6’s. We’ve gotten to a point where players are being backed to perform in the highest stage just because they can hit a 6 of a certain bowler. They don’t care about strike rates or averages or form etc, if he can hit a 6 then he’s good enough for Pakistan and that too at the WT20.
    I wonder how Moin Khan can look at his son and says that there's a superstar and a match-winner there.

I think he needs better glasses because all I see is a kid who sings songs and has hardly any cricketing ability apart from trying to blast spinners.

Not being rude, but it is what it is. Moin Khan has perhaps lost all my respect, though I never really had any for him. He is not sensible, and QG should remove him because it's clear that if he sees another overweight 200kg kid who can hit a six, he'll be the next debutant for QG.

Nepotism at its finest.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    The process selecting in Khushdil in the reserves is that if a batter did get injured he do make the 15 and the person replacing the injured place should be in the reserves.
    He doesn't merit a spot in the reserves.

Our reserves should have contained Iftikhar Ahmed; he can slot in as a floating batsman, a finisher, or an all-rounder.

A better utility player than Khushdil.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our reserves should have contained Iftikhar Ahmed; he can slot in as a floating batsman, a finisher, or an all-rounder.

I agree but due to khushdil being in the reserves shouldn't he now be in the 15.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I agree but due to khushdil being in the reserves shouldn't he now be in the 15.
    This is pakistan cricket Sense doesnt prevail

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    978 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Lol, should someone see if Azam Khan is still available? There are no options bhai.
    Really? You bring up azam khan?

What has malik done in the cpl or the current national tournament?

If he can't perform there, but yet you expect him to score against World class bowlers?

That is laughable!

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    24th September 2036

Shoaib Malik replaces injured Haider Ali in Pakistan's T20 men's world Cup squad after promising performances in the Papua New Guinea Super League.

- Express Tribune

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they were really going for form and like for like replacement, why not select Hussain Talat, who has played better than Malik in this tourney?

Shudder to think if Pakistan ends up going back to Hafeez, Malik and Sarfraz as the middle-order.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, he shouldn't.

The reserves are just subordinate players. The final squad isn't due until tomorrow. Us taking Maqsood and replacing him with Malik doesn't go against the rules.

However, if by Monday, someone gets injured, one of our reserve players is going to be forced to become part of the main team.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman Chadda View Post
    If they were really going for form and like for like replacement, why not select Hussain Talat, who has played better than Malik in this tourney?

Shudder to think if Pakistan ends up going back to Hafeez, Malik and Sarfraz as the middle-order.
    That's the thing: you act as if this middle-order was horrible, it wasn't.

Misbah destroyed the balance and squad composition when he brought in Akmal and Shehzad, and there was no need to do that.

At best, to accommodate another player, the playing positions could have been changed.

We were highly successful in the UAE with that middle-order, all three players are good against spin and will do well for us.

We're missing a proper finisher but then again, if our openers can provide a solid foundation, we won't need a proper finisher as everyone can play attacking innings around the anchor. That's what most successful teams have done in the IPL.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wahab Riaz left now to complete the u-turn. Never know Wasim or Rauf might get injured some time soon.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like Khushdil is there due to being a lefty and it is why he was initially selected in the squad in the first place. When spin is due to play such a big role, it is useful to have lefty-righty combination which Pakistan still don't have enough of in top or middle of the order.

The entire selection process tells you how Pakistan have less than zero faith in the middle order. They keep trying out new & old players hoping someone will stick but they have all been terrible like Asif/Malik/Khushdil/Danish etc. It seems like they were desperately hoping for someone to grab hold of the opportunity and no one ever did. Unfortunately, here are we back to Hafeez & Malik and the WC being in UAE was probably the biggest factor of that.

Pakistan will have to hope after this WC, someone takes hold of the opportunity next year. Nonetheless, I would expect this is Malik's last WC and likely his last chance at International matches. With the WC being set in Australia, there is no hope he'll be selected for that. Hopefully he can finish it in glory for Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whatever the decision. It is a sad scenario overall that 40 yos in this country are better players than others in our country.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    543 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Malik being in the team for the T20 World Cup was inevitable. A good fielder and a good player of spin made sense.

The problem is, Malik has been given gazillion chances to prove himself and failed. Going back to him with Hafeez already there, makes you think whether M.Wasim is the selector or the Pakistan media.

Iftikhar Ahmed, Abdullah Shafique, Sahibzada Farhan or any other batsman would have been better options then Malik.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shujaatraza View Post
    Wahab Riaz left now to complete the u-turn. Never know Wasim or Rauf might get injured some time soon.
    Wahab is a better choice than Wasim Jr.

I don't know what performances Wasim has shown apart from being expensive and playing a few scoops down the order, seriously an over-rated selection.

Same goes with Rauf, he's too expensive and isn't reliable enough.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The fact that this happened under Ramiz Raja, who has been so critical of both Malik and Hafeez, tells you the kind of pressure these guys can exert via various sources.

It's astonishing that despite all efforts by the selection committee/PCB, they can still worm their way in the side.

A format which is built for the youth and we've got two 40 year old TTFs in the squad.

Such a sad state of affairs is this PCT

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbh Malik in t20 hasnít set a foot wrong. If safraz keeps this team should win the trophy easily.

Amir is correct Wahab and Sharjeel would complete this but have they ever won anything of note.

Malik is at least the last winner from 09 squad still in the team.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maher96 View Post
    Tbh Malik in t20 hasnít set a foot wrong. If safraz keeps this team should win the trophy easily.

Amir is correct Wahab and Sharjeel would complete this but have they ever won anything of note.

What does that last sentence even mean?

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, he shouldn't.

The reserves are just subordinate players. The final squad isn't due until tomorrow. Us taking Maqsood and replacing him with Malik doesn't go against the rules.

However, if by Monday, someone gets injured, one of our reserve players is going to be forced to become part of the main team.
    Yes he should he was originally selected in the 15 then he got dropped out of the 15 whilst malik wasn't even considered for the 20 and now he's in the 15.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Younistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Malik is a horrible pick. Hasn't played well at all. While Sharjeel has been the seond best batsman in the T20 cup othe rthan Babar

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    The fact that this happened under Ramiz Raja, who has been so critical of both Malik and Hafeez, tells you the kind of pressure these guys can exert via various sources.

It's astonishing that despite all efforts by the selection committee/PCB, they can still worm their way in the side.

A format which is built for the youth and we've got two 40 year old TTFs in the squad.

But they are both good enough to play for T20s in the UAE. It's a great decision.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome. T2OI team looks set now.

Babar
    Rizwan
    Haider
    Hafeez
    Malik
    Fakhar
    Nawaz
    Shadab
    Wasim Jr.
    Hasan
    Shaheen

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wahab Riaz would even have been a better selection.

Alongside Anwar Ali Wahab is one of Pak's better bowling allrounders if you just leave aside Hassan Ali. Wahab is a decent hitter. Also got the experience to bowl in the death.

Malik is old but I will accept his selection just because it's in the UAE and Pak will be facing spin 70% of the time. Malik is still one of the best against spin.

With Malik there Pak now has the chance of recovering from early wickets collapses. We had too many sloggers in the first draft.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Awesome. T2OI team looks set now.

Babar
    Rizwan
    Haider
    Hafeez
    Malik
    Fakhar
    Nawaz
    Shadab
    Wasim Jr.
    Hasan
    Shaheen
    Good playing XI but I'd play Malik at 4.

Hafeez is a better player at using the long handle, but Malik needs some more time to get set and should be capitalizing on spinners.

The team allows for situational match-ups and planning.

Each of Haider Ali, Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Hafeez, and Fakhar Zaman can play anywhere from #3-6.

For example, a wrist-spinner comes on, so you send out Hafeez or Fakhar. A finger-spinner? Go with Malik. A medium-pacer? Haider.

A lot of versatility means that we can afford to mix up our batting order to keep other teams guessing.

However, this should only be done if we are seeing through an opposition's plans, ie:

Team B keeps their wrist-spinner aside for Haider, so if Rizwan gets out, send out Hafeez/Fakhar instead. Now their matchup is all wrong and Haider can come in during more favorable circumstances.

It's a good team, more balanced than before.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post
    Wahab Riaz would even have been a better selection.

Alongside Anwar Ali Wahab is one of Pak's better bowling allrounders if you just leave aside Hassan Ali. Wahab is a decent hitter. Also got the experience to bowl in the death.

Malik is old but I will accept his selection just because it's in the UAE and Pak will be facing spin 70% of the time. Malik is still one of the best against spin.

With Malik there Pak now has the chance of recovering from early wickets collapses. We had too many sloggers in the first draft.
    I agree, I'd slot in Wahab ahead of Haris Rauf. A more experienced bowler with a better skillset.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dahani needs to replace Haris Rauf somehow

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Birmingham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a disasterous selection . Malik has not scored a fifty for Pakistan in the last 5-6 ICC events he has played . CT13 , World t20 2014, world t20 2016, CT 17 and World Cup 2019 where he had scores of 2,0,0.

Him and Hafeez do not deserve another World Cup . Unfortunately our fans are short sighted and have no intelligence to dwell in to stats and analyse a players performance.

They are both bonafide chokers . The likes of Ifti would have been better . No way Malik and even Hafeez should have got into this World Cup squad . Itís very sad.

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed216 View Post
    Good decision. Shoaib is still the best player of spin in Pak.
    This is a myth. Check this out:

Name:  SM.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  43.0 KB

Going by the above record, he shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does that last sentence even mean?
    Apart from aamir, Malik and Shezzy nobody is still playing cricket for Pakistan team who was part of the 2009 winking squad.

'If you cant support us when we lose or draw then dont support us when we win"
    Bill Shankly

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ahead of Iftikhar (Who was dropped unfairly from T20Is). Sad to see Iftikhar going unnoticed.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yep. Hafeez was already in the squad. But whole Media was shouting for Sarfraz and Malik.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is all because of Misbah ul Haq who destroyed our team with this top heavy tactic of Babar+Rizwan open combo

Now Fakhar Zaman will bat at 6 lol

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most important thing is that Babar wanted Malik in the squad. I think Babar has got the squad of his choice now. Let's see where he takes this team on points table.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketerB94 View Post
    The most important thing is that Babar wanted Malik in the squad. I think Babar has got the squad of his choice now. Let's see where he takes this team on points table.
    Babar, Imad and all of KK know the importance of Sharjeel Khan. He has never been dropped for a single game for them. He was eventually slotted back into Pakistan as well because of Babar

They need him as well

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Babar, Imad and all of KK know the importance of Sharjeel Khan. He has never been dropped for a single game for them. He was eventually slotted back into Pakistan as well because of Babar

They need him as well
    Babar probably wanted Sharjeel too, but the slot was available in middle order and Sharjeel has never played in middle order in professional cricket. He needs to play in middle order in domestic cricket to have some chance in playing 11, because until Babar and Rizwan are in the team, the opening positions are not vacant for any other player.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sharjeel
    Babar
    Zaman
    Hafeez
    Malik
    ?
    Rizwan/Sarfaz
    AR
    bowler
    bowler
    bowler

We should get bowled out 66 chasing 129

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Birmingham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    This is all because of Misbah ul Haq who destroyed our team with this top heavy tactic of Babar+Rizwan open combo

Now Fakhar Zaman will bat at 6 lol
    How is that misbahs fault ? Iím a massive fakhar fan , however he caught covid before the New Zealand tour , and Rizwan took his chance as opener and never looked back . Heís only averaging 70 this year as an opener , so yes blame misbah and all and sundry.
    Last edited by GreenKhan; 10th October 2021 at 09:09.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can there even be a cricket World Cup where Pakistan announce a squad and donít do this , as in somehow at the last minute bring in a player who had been discarded ages ago and could not get into the team in the months leading up to the tournament.

Then again we should be grateful Malik can hit sixes at least - as going by Pakistan cricketing logic , I reckon Azhar Ali is overdue for a last minute recall into T20 team also, maybe he could take over as captain after the Wc with Hafeez or Malik as vice captain.
    Last edited by Majid Khan; 11th October 2021 at 12:27.

Debut
    Feb 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Completely outraged!

Lol calm down. I wouldn't have watched T20 World Cup had Malik not been there so now I'm all in.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenKhan View Post
    How is that misbahs fault ? Iím a massive fakhar fan , however he caught covid before the New Zealand tour , and Rizwan took his chance as opener and never looked back . Heís only averaging 70 this year as an opener , so yes blame misbah and all and sundry.
    The point heís making is that Misbah had 2 years to strengthen and develop a middle order.

But instead, he wasted these years by trying to fit in his pals and favourites leaving us with a non-existent middle order when it didnít work out (as expected).

Now weíre relying solely on just the openers and maybe a good innings from Fakhar or Hafeez to get us through games.

I hereby present to thee, inventor of thy round table, arise - Sir Cumference

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mmkextreme_1 View Post
    This is a myth. Check this out:

Name:  SM.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  43.0 KB

Going by the above record, he shouldn't be anywhere near the team.
    Like greenkhan said Its a short sighted selection Our selectors and fans dont have a clue what stats say about a player

They take a notion from 10 yrs ago and apply it today Malik was a good player of spin years back This is 2021 not 2009 hes 40 fgs His record in the uae is poor in t20s

Malik is anything but a safe selection At 5-6 he offers very little at age of 40 He hardly bowls anymore On a good day hes only good for 20s and 30s lower down the order nowadays Thats his ceiling going off all these lesgues and cups he plays around the world Anybody else wouldve been a much better selection taking the future in mind At least itd be decent exposure for them and give them confidence

What message does this give to our domestic players?

Why are we going back to a 40 yr old that was discarded a yr ago

Ramiz and co were asking him to retire and now have brought him back Makes no sense whatsoever

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maher96 View Post
    Is this supposed to be a good thing?

We might as well bring back afridi razzaq and ajmal and co too if past winners are the key to success today