May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    590 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Any idea where I will be able to legally stream it in Canada?

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disney Hotstar is only option in Canada as far as I know.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The commentary has been abysmal so far.

Seems that these days the broadcasters are really clutching at straws when it comes to the choice of commentators.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Ian Smith, No Bumble. Two big misses.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marlonbrowndo View Post
    Any idea where I will be able to legally stream it in Canada?
    You should be able to subscribe to Willow. I have signed up on Bell tv service. I have long had a subscription to Willow on my computer as well but that seems not to be showing World Cup games. Not quite sure what the connection is between the tv channel and the internet service which goes by the name willow.tv. i have always been willing to.pay to watch cricket legally but in Canada this has been difficult. I guess it is not considered that important a market. So far have been watching the warm up games and the qualifying rounds.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
    You should be able to subscribe to Willow. I have signed up on Bell tv service. I have long had a subscription to Willow on my computer as well but that seems not to be showing World Cup games. Not quite sure what the connection is between the tv channel and the internet service which goes by the name willow.tv. i have always been willing to.pay to watch cricket legally but in Canada this has been difficult. I guess it is not considered that important a market. So far have been watching the warm up games and the qualifying rounds.
    Willow tv doesnít have broadcast rights anymore. Star sports have not sold the rights (Indian home games, IPL, and ICC events) to anyone in North America. They are trying to lure NRIs to subscribe and pay $$ to catch live actions rather than usual Willow or any local sports channels.

Only way to watch it is on Disney Hotstar.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    Willow tv doesn’t have broadcast rights anymore. Star sports have not sold the rights (Indian home games, IPL, and ICC events) to anyone in North America. They are trying to lure NRIs to subscribe and pay $$ to catch live actions rather than usual Willow or any local sports channels.

Only way to watch it is on Disney Hotstar.
    Since Disney owns the rights, they are keeping it with them in the US. If you have Disney+ subscription you can watch T20WC.

I think the US is the 4th largest cricket market in terms of potential $$$ revenues. Disney has realized this as a way to increase Disney+ subscription base. With India home games and IPL now on Disney, it is a major blow for Willow revenues.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone know why Ian Smith isn't on the commentary team? He would be the first name on the sheet for me.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by U$ofA View Post
    Since Disney owns the rights, they are keeping it with them in the US. If you have Disney+ subscription you can watch T20WC.

I think the US is the 4th largest cricket market in terms of potential $$$ revenues. Disney has realized this as a way to increase Disney+ subscription base. With India home games and IPL now on Disney, it is a major blow for Willow revenues.

Did you mean ESPN+? Not Disney+ unless it's the bundle subscription which includes ESPN+.

By the way if you are in USA - you can watch the World Cup on ESPN+. The pro's are super high quality streaming - but very limited highlights. Willow has like 5 or 6 variants of highlights - long highlights, short highlights etc.,

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I am in Toronto and watching the warm-up games as well as the qualifying games. Have set up pvr to record Pakistan India match. Have subscribed to Willow channel on Bell Fibe TV. Are you telling me that they will pull the plug on me? Will have to go visit my brother in the US then.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am in Toronto and watching the warm-up games as well as the qualifying games. Have set up pvr to record Pakistan India match. Have subscribed to Willow channel on Bell Fibe TV. Are you telling me that they will pull the plug on me? Will have to go visit my brother in the US then.
    I heard you get Disney+hotstar in canada. Just check if the ca one has cricket channels blocked or not

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebat View Post
    Anyone know why Ian Smith isn't on the commentary team? He would be the first name on the sheet for me.
    It's a mix of Sky NZ (to whom he is exclusively contracted) losing cricket broadcast rights domestically and the quarantine regulations in New Zealand, which mean that Simon Doull and Danny Morrison are more employable due to their freelancing on the global T20 circuit.

I don't think we'll be hearing much of Ian Smith on cricket broadcasts in the future.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidas_alexandar View Post
    Did you mean ESPN+? Not Disney+ unless it's the bundle subscription which includes ESPN+.

By the way if you are in USA - you can watch the World Cup on ESPN+. The pro's are super high quality streaming - but very limited highlights. Willow has like 5 or 6 variants of highlights - long highlights, short highlights etc.,
    I have the bundle, so mentioned that. But just ESPN+ will do fine. All are part of Disney anyway.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking about USA. Not sure about Canada.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes youíre right.

Ever since Disney took over Star/Hotstar, they introduced their new ď+Ē subscription which allows subscribers to watch all cricket action. Two years ago I purchased Hotstar regular subscription for $79.99/year to watch IPL, but only to find out I need Hotstar+. Lol

I think US/Canada market is short term as most 2nd/3rd generations of Indo-American/Canadians are not into cricket which would drive the demand downwards. That explains why they are squeezing every penny from paying customers right now when demand is high.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking about USA. Not sure about Canada.
    Canada is basically the same as far as I know. I checked Willow.tv and couldnít find anything on their fixtures.

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to see how Watson and steyn do, Ive never heard them. Kn commentary before.

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to see how Watson and steyn do, Ive never heard them on commentary before.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1033 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Guys, there are alot of legal online streams going on for free.

Alot of companies got digital rights and broadcasting free on the net and legal to.

Daraz is streaming in pakistan.

Siyatha tv is the digital rights holder of sri lanka. I am in pakistan and can watch it on there website as they dis not restrict it

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dubai, UAE
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Guys, there are alot of legal online streams going on for free.

Alot of companies got digital rights and broadcasting free on the net and legal to.

Daraz is streaming in pakistan.

Siyatha tv is the digital rights holder of sri lanka. I am in pakistan and can watch it on there website as they dis not restrict it
    how do these guys afford it? local ad revenue?

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canada is basically the same as far as I know. I checked Willow.tv and couldnít find anything on their fixtures.
    I am happily watching Pakistan vs South Africa on Willow on my tv in Toronto. Not that happy though that Rizwan and Babar yet again. Sharjeel should have been there but anyway this thread is about broadcasting.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am happily watching Pakistan vs South Africa on Willow on my tv in Toronto. Not that happy though that Rizwan and Babar yet again. Sharjeel should have been there but anyway this thread is about broadcasting.
    Ah well I donít use cable even though our condominium have free services from Rogers.

Iím more into online streaming plus Hotstar have lot of Indian desi stuff which family like it. Itís good price 7.99/month.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    New York City
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Canada is basically the same as far as I know. I checked Willow.tv and couldn’t find anything on their fixtures.
    My Willow has been broadcasting most warm up matches so.. as well as group stages

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah well I donít use cable even though our condominium have free services from Rogers.

Iím more into online streaming plus Hotstar have lot of Indian desi stuff which family like it. Itís good price 7.99/month.
    Willow on cable is only 5 dollars a month. I would have no interest in Indian desi so would not be interested in Hotstar. Anyway I am puzzled at all the posts saying Willow can't show the games etc. Nice knock by Fakhar by the way.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1033 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    how do these guys afford it? local ad revenue?
    daraz is a shopping app, so they are bringing people on their shopping website this way.... Might be quite expensive but they get something out of it.

But the srilanka one i dont understand, thats a bigg loss

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Los Santos
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ESPN+ for the T20 world cup?

Does anyone know if you need to have to cable to watch the T20 world cup on ESPN+ or will they show the WC without that? Has anyone on here had any experience with ESPN+? I know most would suggest Willow but I'm not trying to sub to an India-based network.

"Tea was funtaaastic" - Abhinandan

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on this article it doesnít seem like it. You should be able to stream:

https://www.techradar.com/news/t20-w...t-on-espn-plus

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Los Santos
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offstump View Post
    Based on this article it doesn’t seem like it. You should be able to stream:

https://www.techradar.com/news/t20-w...t-on-espn-plus
    Bro if you read the article it says otherwise, the second round (group stage) will be broadcasted and I believe their website says the same. Anyways I'm gonna take a chance on it, after all it's only $6.99.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    Bro if you read the article it says otherwise, the second round (group stage) will be broadcasted and I believe their website says the same. Anyways I'm gonna take a chance on it, after all it's only $6.99.
    Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your question. You could also just sign up for Hotstar.. I did that and they are showing every match.
    Last edited by offstump; 22nd October 2021 at 23:20.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Los Santos
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offstump View Post
    Sorry, maybe I misunderstood your question. You could also just sign up for Hotstar.. I did that and they are showing every match.
    That's alright. I'm subbing to ESPN+. Hotstar is an Indian brand so I have no interest in giving them my money

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    SanFrancisco/Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In US, you can watch all matches+highlights on ESPN+ ($7/month cheap, you can cancel after World cup). They have Hindi commentary too if anyone is interested.

I still prefer the Hotstar content but in US it is no longer available. The issue with ESPN+ is it is being managed by people who do not know much about cricket. They have no idea when to break for commercials. When DRS is about to be shown, they will break for a commercial and come back after the decision is made. Extremely irritating during IPL, hopefully they'll take care of this in World Cup. Many LBW and runout decisions were not shown :-(

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    766 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The new commentators in the mix!

Steyn and Shane Watson have been impressive. Breath of fresh air. Steyn in particular has been great.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A blessing in disguise with Bangladesh finishing 2nd, we wonít be getting Athar and Bazid in the comms together

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    That's alright. I'm subbing to ESPN+. Hotstar is an Indian brand so I have no interest in giving them my money
    Hotstar is owned by Disney just like ESPN.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disgusting and pathetic coverage on ESPN+. Can't even watch a proper replay of a dismissal. ESPN+ being owned by Disney means zilch if they do not know how to cover a cricket match. I thought I paid money for not being badgered with all these untimely ads.

It reminds me of those dark days of free-to air channels where since they did not make an money on subscription they had to make money by packing in as many ads as possible.
    Last edited by leonidas_alexandar; 23rd October 2021 at 20:41.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    974 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    gavaskar is absolutely awful.

Should have got Bumble instead of him.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Some of the commentators are dinosaurs who have been in this game too long and should really be replaced.

It's tiring hear the same phrases and drab commentary from them.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    483 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Some of the commentators are dinosaurs who have been in this game too long and should really be replaced.

It's tiring hear the same phrases and drab commentary from them.
    Really really bland commentary. I just mute it
    Last edited by Saj; 23rd October 2021 at 21:40.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So whats the conclusion on the way to stream it in the US? ESPN+?

I have the online willow subscription which I think is not showing it.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barragan View Post
    gavaskar is absolutely awful.

Should have got Bumble instead of him.
    Gavaskar has gone past his sell by date i am afraid.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The quality of the broadcast thus far has been pretty poor, you can't really have commentators such as Arnold, Wilkins, Morrison, and Karthik on a high pedigree ICC tournament. So mediocre.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Old man commentary and slow replays.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    How annoying is all the shouting in the stadium from the people on the microphone.

Really is ruining the viewer experience.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Production quality is abysmal.

Replays are slow. They couldn't even provide a replay after the wicket in the India match.

The camera angles are basic.

Its a mess. Looks like some cheap company with no creativity who has the rights.
    Last edited by sharmaji; 26th October 2021 at 20:22.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Commentators lacking energy, subdued.

A few commentators who have been around for too long and need replacing.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Venue
    New York City
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to mute my TV for 5 overs just as Anjum Chopra came to commentary box...

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icc mens t20 world cup 2021 - commentary watch

Seen some of the comments regarding the newer commentators , i.e. Darren Sammy, Bazid Khan, Shane Watson etc,

Who has been the commentator that has impressed you the most, and who is the one that has annoyed you.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broadcast sound quality issues.

Is anybody else having issues with the sound quality?

Whenever New Zealand score a boundary or a few runs the audio seems to go silent. Its pindrop silence and quite eerie.

It was working ok when India scored a few.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a broadcasting issue, more of a crowd issue lol

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Probably the worst array of commentators ever assembled for an ICC tournament.

Barring 2 or 3 of the commentators, the rest are absolutely terrible.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Probably the worst array of commentators ever assembled for an ICC tournament.

Barring 2 or 3 of the commentators, the rest are absolutely terrible.
    Seems like they assembled a team for the associate leg of the tournament and then kept them on throughout, should have kept the usual suspects like Nicholas, doull, athers, Hussain, etc and given them longer stints rather than bring in people like steyn, Watson , even Russel Arnold, anjum bla bla. Sounds like they have lost quality in the name of trying to be inclusive, multi cultural or whatever

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There doesn't seem to be much around in the way of highlights etc either? From what I understand, in the UK, if you don't have Sky you are pretty much screwed and can't see any of the tournament? Previous tournaments they have at least put highlights on YouTube after the game - now you have 5 min highlights which you have to actually go looking for on the tournament website.

Seems a bit counter productive if you ask me.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babeikh View Post
    There doesn't seem to be much around in the way of highlights etc either? From what I understand, in the UK, if you don't have Sky you are pretty much screwed and can't see any of the tournament? Previous tournaments they have at least put highlights on YouTube after the game - now you have 5 min highlights which you have to actually go looking for on the tournament website.

Seems a bit counter productive if you ask me.
    All to do with the monopolisation of the game, nothing on YouTube, even the shows after and before the game seem rushed , the whole production has been strange and a bit of letdown tbh

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get that gibbon off the mic. 'clap clap clap!'. I mean, what ?!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Sunil Gavaskar on commentary in the Pakistan v Australia semi-final attempting to be neutral, when he really wants to cheer every Australia run

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Nearly 10,000 hours of live coverage – more than ever before - offered across TV and digital platforms in 200 countries at the back of increased viewership and consumption in India, Pakistan, UK, Australia and the strategic market of USA

Cricket and sports fans across the world enjoyed unparalleled coverage of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021, when the tournament returned after five years. The pinnacle of the shortest format of the sport offered explosive cricket and entertainment for everyone and featured cricket’s biggest names and best teams. The event, the biggest ever cricket tournament to be staged in the UAE and Oman, broke viewership records in several regions, including garnering a record reach of television reach of 167 million, and a record consumption of 15.9 billion minutes in India on the Star India Network, for the highly-anticipated India-Pakistan clash. The encounter is now the most viewed T20I match in history, exceeding the previous high of the India-West Indies semi-final match from the 2016 edition of the ICC event held in India. The overall TV consumption for the full tournament in India was recorded at 112 billion minutes, this despite India’s early exit from the tournament. Viewership share amidst younger audiences in India (children below the age of 15) was at a healthy 18.5% at the back of a highly successful marketing campaign “Live the Game” targeting a younger demographic.

Digital consumption for the tournament saw an explosive growth on Disney+ Hotstar in India, adding significantly to the overall television viewership in the market.

In the UK, viewership for the India v Pakistan match grew by 60% on Sky UK whereas the overall viewership for the market went up by 7%. In Pakistan, the event was being broadcast by three players for the first time namely PTV, ARY and Ten Sports, which led to further growth in viewership by 7.3% compared to the 2016 edition of the event.

In Australia, the viewership increased by 175% on the Fox Network. In the USA, which the ICC recently named as one of the focus markets for the sport, the tournament was the most viewed cricket tournament ever on ESPN+.

ICC’s partnership with Facebook was a driver for the significant increase in video views, with a total of 4.3 billion views across all channels for the tournament, compared to 3.6 billion views which were garnered for the 2019 edition of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.

The consumption across ICC’s digital assets also grew, recording a total of 2.55 billion minutes. ICC’s social media channels also saw a significant growth in engagement at 618 million across those platforms, which is a 28% jump since the 2019 edition of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup.

ICC CEO Geoff Allardice said: “We are pleased with these outstanding global viewership numbers, that demonstrate the power of T20I cricket to attract a huge audience across the globe on linear and digital platforms. It reinforces our belief that there is a significant opportunity and appetite to grow the game in our strategic growth markets including the USA, so more fans can enjoy it, more kids are inspired by it and sponsors and broadcasters want to be a part of it.”

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter