Manchester United owners, former Formula One owners show interest in new IPL franchise - Page 2

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

You think that one guy discovering someone is a scouting system. Wont even bother arguing with you.

Scouting is a full system as we see in NBA, NFL and NHL. They have NCAA tournaments from where players performances are kept in check.

You yourself made a thread that Umran Malik was selected from wilderness. Not my words, those were your words. If a player is getting picked from the wilderness that shows how bad the socuting is.

In N.American leagues there is no concept of getting picked from the wilderness, you get to be part of a system from an early age, and when you perform you get drafted higher.
    I don't get your point. It's an apples and oranges comparison, comparing the likes of NFL with IPL. In cricket, the grassroots domestic structure of every country is geared towards feeding players to international cricket. I'm not sure if an international version of NFL even exists, and even if it does, I'm sure it has an insignificant standing in the game of NFL, unlike international cricket in cricket.

In NFL, the primary version (or probably even the only version) is the domestic club game in America, and I'm sure it has been existing for a long time. Therefore you would have a grassroots structure for the game in America. In cricket, the dominant version is still international cricket and it is the version of the game that's been existing since 1880. And therefore it is obvious the grassroots structure in every country would be geared towards feeding players to their respective international teams rather than IPL or PSL teams. If the international version of cricket didn't exist and T20 leagues had been existing since a century, your point about the lack of dedicated scouts would hold weight. As it stands, it's a moot point to the overall discussion.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL uses a scientific approach? Umran was selected based on his pace only.

This what happens when you watch too much fancy cricinfo videos' of Bumrah thinking that their is science involved in selection
    Umran was selected because the original choice Natarajan was injured/ got covid.

He has been monitored for a while and was highly recommended by Samad and Irfan Pathan and a few other Jammu officials who believed in his talent.

Then he was tracked by the team management- Moody, VVS,Williamson etc after tracking and monitoring him in the nets.

He wasnít given a cap after hitting 150k a couple of times in the nets.

You can believe what you want to believe. Proof is in the pudding going by comparing the career trajectory and value provided by most talents of India and Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1033 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    I don't get your point. It's an apples and oranges comparison, comparing the likes of NFL with IPL. In cricket, the grassroots domestic structure of every country is geared towards feeding players to international cricket. I'm not sure if an international version of NFL even exists, and even if it does, I'm sure it has an insignificant standing in the game of NFL, unlike international cricket in cricket.

In NFL, the primary version (or probably even the only version) is the domestic club game in America, and I'm sure it has been existing for a long time. Therefore you would have a grassroots structure for the game in America. In cricket, the dominant version is still international cricket and it is the version of the game that's been existing since 1880. And therefore it is obvious the grassroots structure in every country would be geared towards feeding players to their respective international teams rather than IPL or PSL teams. If the international version of cricket didn't exist and T20 leagues had been existing since a century, your point about the lack of dedicated scouts would hold weight. As it stands, it's a moot point to the overall discussion.
    i agree with what you say. But majority here are comparing IPL to NFL, NHL as if its equivalent, when the reality is that there scouting system is not even close to NHL and NFL.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Btw IPL is not beating the NFL in terms of revenues anytime soon. The American economy is simply too big for the IPL to beat the NFL in terms of money generated.

I think the IPL is currently 5th or 6th most profitable sports league in the world. I think the NBA is the second most profitable league in the world and the IPL can probably look to beating the NBA in terms of money generation, but even that would take a long time. Realistically, it can become the third most profitable sports league in the world due to the sheer weight of the Indian population as the Indian economy grows.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1033 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Local.Dada View Post
    Umran was selected because the original choice Natarajan was injured/ got covid.

He has been monitored for a while and was highly recommended by Samad and Irfan Pathan and a few other Jammu officials who believed in his talent.

Then he was tracked by the team management- Moody, VVS,Williamson etc after tracking and monitoring him in the nets.

He wasn’t given a cap after hitting 150k a couple of times in the nets.

You can believe what you want to believe. Proof is in the pudding going by comparing the career trajectory and value provided by most talents of India and Pakistan.
    again, that is not a scouting system.

Oh flana flana was watching him and seeing him and monitoring and writing report. I dont know what you bought india and pakistan here now.

The discussion that some Indian posters posted here is how they were comparing IPL to NA leagues

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Sorry to burst your large bubble but there is no loyalty in fans and even players playing in cricket leagues. Indian fans do try hard to present IPL as the best league in the world and show that they really get hurt when their favorite team loses any match but in reality they don't.

If IPL really want to compete with football leagues then they should first stretch its schedule to a whole year. Secondly they should play games on weekends only. The next step should be to make their international players exclusive to IPL only. It looks really funny to read an interview of an international player where he praises the host country and how much he loves playing cricket in that country. A month later he is saying the exact same things about another country in their cricket league lol. I would like to see how many of them can live in India for an year to play in their favorite league in their favorite country. In football you won't see a player playing for 3-4 different teams/clubs. They are serious leagues not some comedy circus leagues where owners, teams, host countries, stadiums change every year. There is zero loyalty in pyjama leagues.
    Nope CSk , Hyderabad and Bangalore have massive loyal fans .

You are from Delhi so obviously you feel that way as you management keeps chopping.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with what you say. But majority here are comparing IPL to NFL, NHL as if its equivalent, when the reality is that there scouting system is not even close to NHL and NFL.
    NHL NFL NBA donít have international structure like cricket. They already fall under the category of domestics just like IPL.

So they have to pick players from collegiate level or from minor/farm league system or independent talent scouts.

International cricket is structured differently. There is international season and every country good/bad has a domestic structure which gets talent from clubs/schools etc.

The approach might be different but having independent talent scouts, working on talentís fitness, refining their skills both professional and soft skills etc etc is more or less similar to what other big franchises does. There is a structure to that scouting. That is comparable.

Obviously you knew all that but arguing for the sake of arguing for god knows what.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Mumbai as well.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Local.Dada View Post
    Mumbai as well.
    I havenít been there or met enough Marathis to form an opinion but Im sure kolkata does as wel.

Only Punjab and Delhi are ones who keep chopping and recreating their core team so obviously fans get disinterested.

Man CSK has had Dhoni Raina since inception lol.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

You are from Delhi so obviously you feel that way as you management keeps chopping.
    An RCB-CSK match at the Chinnaswamy actually gets more CSK fans than RCB ones in the stadium

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    694 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The Rivalry between Chennai and Bangalore is funny to me now but i remember giving into it during college.

I have seen Bangalore fans upload pics of burning CSK flag 😂

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All it takes is one Football club to tender and it will start a bidding war. This is very exciting times for Indian cricket!

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Quite possible. T20 cricket is the future and and IPL is the highest form of T20 cricket. In fact, it is better than bilateral ODI cricket already.

Thank you BCCI for this experience.
    I take great pride in the IPL as a showcase of my countryís efforts in cricket, and its global influence, but my 20:20ranking would be:

1. India versus any other, (would see most games)

2. Any other Ďnon India internationalí (would casually see a game if I happen to come across it, would see most ICC tournament finals)

3. IPL- dont watch 95 percent of matches, of the games I have watched itís almost always because I chanced across it randomly, and then I mostly watch an over or three. I used to fully watch only the finals ever but this time I just followed it casually on Cricinfo.

Iím getting old I guess.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    One thing I feel about IPL teams is that not all teams have a local connect. I think CSK, Mumbai and Kolkata are the only teams that have a good local connect.

Rest of the teams, especially RCB feels like a corporate venture than a team with its own local flavour, culture and following. RCB really needs to rebrand itself as more of a Karnataka team than a corporate XI. I mean CSK's tagline is whistle podu, Mumbai has Aamchi Mumbai, Kolkata has the Korbo Lorbo Jeeto bo re. RCB's tagline is "Play Bold", something like an advertisement to a product rather than a tagline with local flavour representing the city. More teams need to start doing this to develop the support and cult fan following.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I havenít been there or met enough Marathis to form an opinion but Im sure kolkata does as wel.

Only Punjab and Delhi are ones who keep chopping and recreating their core team so obviously fans get disinterested.

Man CSK has had Dhoni Raina since inception lol.
    You canít tie up only culture/linguistics to IPl franchise support.

Lot of Dhoni fans support CSK, Virat fans support RCB, Sachin/Rohit fans support Mi etc.

Now sure there is a layer of cultural/ hometown affiliation added to that. Someone may not be a fan of those icon players but still support their side on that cultural affiliation like in case of KKR.

I get your point though some of these franchises havenít actually had the continuity to grow their fan base like those other teams. There are some players you can exchange between Punjab,Rajasthan etc and I wouldnít know the difference.
    Last edited by Local.Dada; 21st October 2021 at 21:49.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The Rivalry between Chennai and Bangalore is funny to me now but i remember giving into it during college.

I have seen Bangalore fans upload pics of burning CSK flag 😂
    Our Kannadiga brothers get a little emotional when it comes to the Cauvery derby

Tbh there isn't nearly as much negative sentiment towards RCB in Chennai as it is in Bangalore towards CSK. Think Mumbai is still biggest rival when it comes to most CSK fans. There's of course a good rivalry with RCB because of the derby factor, but it's not bitter.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    DC is owned by Sajjan Jindal. No accusations against him. It was his brother Navin who was accused and then acquitted.

No allegations against Kalanidhi Maran who owns Hyderabad team via a listed company Sun Tv network, South Indias largest tv network.

Vijay Mallya never owned the team. He was the chairman of United Spirits, whose owner is Diageo, the worlds largest liquor company.

Raj Kundra no longer owns any stake. Once owned 11 per cent in RR.

Ambani: Asia's richest man. Promoter of India's biggest company, has been the richest Indian long before Modi came to power.

N.Srinivasan Supreme court only ruled on his conflict of interest of owning a team via India cements as well as being the BCCI president. Nothing else.

Try harder next time.
    This guy would defend Ted Bundy if he was associated with IPL

Mallya, Kundra Sri are as dirty as they come and are/were stakeholders at IPL at some point. No amount of pedantry will change that.

Try harder

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post

Mallya, Kundra Sri are as dirty as they come and are/were stakeholders at IPL at some point. No amount of pedantry will change that.

Try harder
    Mallya never had any stake in the IPL. United Spirits owns RCB. He was then chairman of USL.

What crime is Srini accused of?

Kundra did hold a 11 per cent stake in RR once.

RR now have Redbird Holdings as one of its stakeholders. Redbird is a stake owner in Fenway sports, owners of Liverpool and Boston red sox.

You can keep hating the IPL. It wont stop its growth.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post

Try harder
    By the same account isnít Pakistan cricket patron in chief the prime minister. Last time I checked couple of those have a million corruption cases on them and few others in exile not on vacation.

Should we take the same moral high ground?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Manitoba
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In 13 years if IPL has reached 15th spot in terms of revenue list of professional sports leagues by revenue that is impressive.
    By comparison other higher 14 position leagues have existed for 50+ years
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ues_by_revenue

https://apsportseditors.org/others/m...ports-leagues/

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Debt vehicle. Look it up.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I read that there was a 20% decline in IPL viewership overall this year vs the prior year. How come?

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, you guys need to check how scouting is actually done.

Just by appoiting one person as a scout of a team is not scouting plz.

Umran malik being suggested by irfan pathan isnt really a proper scouting system . That is an example of how the player was in the wilderness and got lucky that irfan saw him.

No point in aruging as you have no knowledge of nba, nfl and nhl scouting system. Due to ur blind patriotism you will keep on putting forward ridiculous examples and claim ipl as equivalent to north american leagues when infact its not even near
    Umran Malik has already played a List A game. How can someone who has already played a match for a Ranji side already can be called a wild pick. Out of wilderness means these players are not know by anyone but they are known in the local cricket and league circles.

are yaar you know nothing about a system and just making assumptions and making a fool of yourself.
    I already told you, There is a proper scouting system within the Ranji and State Teams even before league cricket started.
    Every state team has 3-4 scouts, selectors etc who watch the local club cricket games, school games, district level games all over India. Then they recommend them to next level e.g if they see someone in school they recommend them to District level, and then if District level then next is Ranji State Reserves for Test or LOI Cricket e.g Vijay Hazare, SMAT etc.
    Now, with leagues coming into picture like TNPL, Karanataka League etc this system has multiplied.
    Off course there is lot of word to mouth discussion of players as well and names are passed on.

Heck I have seen District team selectors come to watch the University matches sometimes for Punjab Technical University, mostly due to some recommendation.

How do i know all this, Because I have played school cricket and then got selected for District Hoshiarpur as a middle order batter through the same system. I did not pursue much after that and accepted that I am not good enough for the next level. I loved programming so made that my profession.

But this system has been same, since 1960s/1970s etc. School and District level cricket is well organised, with 20 over matches for U-16 with red ball and then District matches are 40-50 Over matches with red ball, full kit. I have played a full season in 2000-2001. I know a friend of mine from Himachal State Team whose younger brother scored 2 back to back double centuries in District Cricket for Una, Himachal and was offered to come to the nets for Himachal Pradesh Cricket team.

Can you enlighten me that how it is different from so called NBA/NFL scouting system.
    Do they see kids born in hospital and directly pick them to play lol ?
    Last edited by hoshiarpurexpress; 22nd October 2021 at 05:24.

As general said, this does happen so people have to play the game : Siddique Salik

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Major there are 38 Ranji Teams and 30 plus teams since 1950s in India.
    Each team has 20-25 players on full time rostered contract and around 5-10 reserves.

How the hell do you think that in a large country like India, these kids are selected into their state teams ?
    Scouts/Selectors etc watching School/District games, checking score cards etc.

How is that different from any system in the world ? I mean what is special in your NBA/NFL that you are making fun of the system and processes in India ?
    Can you explain that ?

As general said, this does happen so people have to play the game : Siddique Salik

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If any doubt about the veracity of what I am speaking, here is the schedule of the tournament for 2020-21 season for Punjab Cricket. I played this same tournament for Hoshiarpur back in 2000-2001 season.
    This is just one State of Punjab, There are 38 such tournaments per state, then school cricket within those to pick the players to play these tournaments.
    This is one of the pathways. Off course it is such a large exercise to select 11 players even for this District team from amongst a Million Kids given the population size of India. Punjab's population is roughly 28 Million and at least ~300,000 kids give or take would be vying for these spots to play District cricket for their state.
    If not for Scouts/selectors/local coaches watching and keeping tab on these players and their performances, how the hell they will pick them.

https://cricketpunjab.in/draws-for-i...ct-2020-21.php

Debut
    Oct 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    In 1982, Barca paid a record fee of £3M for Maradona. This is a higher fee than the most expensive bid in the IPL auction of 2021 @16.25 crore in such an inflated era. IPL is yet to surpass the financial power of league football from 40 years ago, yet you claim it will overtake all global leagues in 20 years. Plus you have Mamoon to agree with you
    Is there a salary cap in football leagues also ? IPL teams have a restriction on how much they can spend on players' salary.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1033 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshiarpurexpress View Post
    Umran Malik has already played a List A game. How can someone who has already played a match for a Ranji side already can be called a wild pick. Out of wilderness means these players are not know by anyone but they are known in the local cricket and league circles.

are yaar you know nothing about a system and just making assumptions and making a fool of yourself.
    I already told you, There is a proper scouting system within the Ranji and State Teams even before league cricket started.
    Every state team has 3-4 scouts, selectors etc who watch the local club cricket games, school games, district level games all over India. Then they recommend them to next level e.g if they see someone in school they recommend them to District level, and then if District level then next is Ranji State Reserves for Test or LOI Cricket e.g Vijay Hazare, SMAT etc.
    Now, with leagues coming into picture like TNPL, Karanataka League etc this system has multiplied.
    Off course there is lot of word to mouth discussion of players as well and names are passed on.

Heck I have seen District team selectors come to watch the University matches sometimes for Punjab Technical University, mostly due to some recommendation.

How do i know all this, Because I have played school cricket and then got selected for District Hoshiarpur as a middle order batter through the same system. I did not pursue much after that and accepted that I am not good enough for the next level. I loved programming so made that my profession.

But this system has been same, since 1960s/1970s etc. School and District level cricket is well organised, with 20 over matches for U-16 with red ball and then District matches are 40-50 Over matches with red ball, full kit. I have played a full season in 2000-2001. I know a friend of mine from Himachal State Team whose younger brother scored 2 back to back double centuries in District Cricket for Una, Himachal and was offered to come to the nets for Himachal Pradesh Cricket team.

Can you enlighten me that how it is different from so called NBA/NFL scouting system.
    Do they see kids born in hospital and directly pick them to play lol ?
    Cricketjoshilla himself said it was a pick out of wilderness, he made a thread you can search that up.

You can write a long essay, but you clearly have no knowledge regarding the North American system with whom you are comparing your ipl with.

Just because some coach showed up at a Uni match again means zilch.

If you are really interested in knowing the NBA/NFL system you do a simple google search.

Me writing an essay wont change your opinion as anything that makes India look inferior wont be accepted by you.

Sports in North America are played from a school level. Everyone is part of the system, everyone is given a chance. Those who excel can continue playing from their school and could join separate clubs aswell where their performance in tracked.

Inter school competations are played, and for Hockey different club matches are played. Ice Hockey is started from the age of 5. You have to be in the league system by the age of 11.

As you grow older and start performing, the NCAA keeps track of the school performances. Than you also have different scouting reports coming in, you have the Eliteprospect that keep track of performance. To be honest its not these scouts that make a difference, its the record keeping that makes the difference. Each and everything is recorded.

Than there is the scholorship system. University sports is taken very seriously aswell, especially football. Thus, if you have done well in High School Football and have a good statistical record, you can get a Havard or a State University Scholorship. In the Scholorship you ahve to maintain a certain GPA and get to play with the Uni team.

After that there is a draft system for all the leagues. These drafts picks are made against the scouting reports and the performances of all the players. About 700-800 NHL players are drafted each year. The player that goes no.1 is already predicted 6 months before the draft based on the statistical data that is available and the performance of the player for the last 2-3 years.

Even after drafted, these players dont even get to start the season with the actual team. They are shifted to the farm team where they have to prove themselves again and than get selected in the main franchise team.

You are making a mocking post by saying do they see kids born in hospital and directly play them lol... Majority of players are those that started playing the game at a young age of 6-7. For Hockey you need to learn ice skating by 5, for baseketball ther are programs and even school leagues where they take kids as young as 6 to 7.

I remember playing volleyball in school. We used to have a proper coaching system for volleyball where we practice to develop bumping the ball with our hands against the wall. And after doing different practices we ended up having games, and in games we learned the different position for attack and defense.
    In Pakistan, volleyball is played, but no one teaches these things.

You can talk about hte IPL revenues all you want, but you cannot compare the league to NA leagues because those leagues are successful due to the sporitng culture that exists and is integrated with their education aswell.
    Most of the cricketers that play are usually those who are out of school and play for a club with whom they practice everyday not knowing that what they are doing would even benefit them or not.

If you are genuinely interested, you can always do a google search to further understand the drafting of those leagues.

Draft day is one of the most important events over there, and here we have people calling IPL equivalent to those leagues

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricketjoshilla himself said it was a pick out of wilderness, he made a thread you can search that up.

You can write a long essay, but you clearly have no knowledge regarding the North American system with whom you are comparing your ipl with.

If you are really interested in knowing the NBA/NFL system you do a simple google search.

Me writing an essay wont change your opinion as anything that makes India look inferior wont be accepted by you.

Sports in North America are played from a school level. Everyone is part of the system, everyone is given a chance. Those who excel can continue playing from their school and could join separate clubs aswell where their performance in tracked.

1. Cricket in India is also played at School level apart from another sports.
    Intra School and Intra Club competitions in the School are pretty normal, in Cricket, Hockey, Basketball, Swimming, Tennis, Badminton, Table Tennis etc. Heck my small town Hoshiarpur has a full blown annual sports competition now imagine cities like Mumbai/Delhi/Bangalore. The same way performances are tracked and then these kids get to play at National level championship in these sports.

Inter school competations are played, and for Hockey different club matches are played. Ice Hockey is started from the age of 5. You have to be in the league system by the age of 11.

2. Similar, As described above. But, the difference is you need not be in system all the time. There are some wild picks e.g. Siraj played local leagues upto age of 22 before being picked and groomed and Phogat Sisters directly went to play for National Championship after coaching directly from their dad. But there are academies also e.g PV Sindhu/Saina come from GopiChands badminton academies. My niece has played State Level Badminton and every second month there was a tournament to attend to in different part of India.

As you grow older and start performing, the NCAA keeps track of the school performances. Than you also have different scouting reports coming in, you have the Eliteprospect that keep track of performance. To be honest its not these scouts that make a difference, its the record keeping that makes the difference. Each and everything is recorded.

3. This was not happening in 2000s but increasingly it has started to happen a lot. My niece who plays badminton has full access to here scores on a mobile app and more Digital/Data driven techniques are being employed in Indian Sport as well. Guess who is developing these apps and software even for the world as well.

Than there is the scholorship system. University sports is taken very seriously aswell, especially football. Thus, if you have done well in High School Football and have a good statistical record, you can get a Havard or a State University Scholorship. In the Scholorship you ahve to maintain a certain GPA and get to play with the Uni team.

4. Lot of Schools and Universities have Sports Quota and Scholarships in India as well. There are lot of Schools in Mumbai e.g Prithvi Shaw moved to Rizwi college and got a scholarship. In Chandigarh for example YPS(http://ypschd.com/content/school-sch...ips-and-awards) and there are million more schools in different sports. They need to maintain certain attendance but just pass the exams, no requirement of GPA.
    I was on a similar scholarship in year 10 and 11 but dropped out as I decided to pursue Engineering.
    I am just touching surface here as there are millions of schools in India having sports infrastructure. And Govt. has also increased spending in last 10 years with much less corruption, hence a few medals in Olympics.
    There is a proper Archery and Shooting Programme in Different States, Hockey Scholarships from Jallandhar to Orissa.

After that there is a draft system for all the leagues. These drafts picks are made against the scouting reports and the performances of all the players. About 700-800 NHL players are drafted each year. The player that goes no.1 is already predicted 6 months before the draft based on the statistical data that is available and the performance of the player for the last 2-3 years.

5. This has started to happen with the League cricket but in other sports it will take time as more private leagues are popping up for Kabaddi/Badminton etc. Drafting is bit different in cricket in a sense that you as a player get fed from District to State level based on your performance and then get a chance in the Ranji matches.

Even after drafted, these players dont even get to start the season with the actual team. They are shifted to the farm team where they have to prove themselves again and than get selected in the main franchise team.

You are making a mocking post by saying do they see kids born in hospital and directly play them lol... Majority of players are those that started playing the game at a young age of 6-7. For Hockey you need to learn ice skating by 5, for baseketball ther are programs and even school leagues where they take kids as young as 6 to 7.

I remember playing volleyball in school. We used to have a proper coaching system for volleyball where we practice to develop bumping the ball with our hands against the wall. And after doing different practices we ended up having games, and in games we learned the different position for attack and defense.

You can talk about hte IPL revenues all you want, but you cannot compare the league to NA leagues because those leagues are successful due to the sporitng culture that exists and is integrated with their education aswell.
    Most of the cricketers that play are usually those who are out of school and play for a club with whom they practice everyday not knowing that what they are doing would even benefit them or not.

If you are genuinely interested, you can always do a google search to further understand the drafting of those leagues.

I agree to most of the other points as these leagues/sports/academies have been running in USA/UK for close to 80-100 years whereas the sporting infrastructure has really started to take shape in India for past 20 years.
    Middle class is growing and more parents are accepting their kids to go into sports.

Draft day is one of the most important events over there, and here we have people calling IPL equivalent to those leagues [/B]
    Equivalent in terms of revenue generation as economy grows, more people move into middle and upper middle class and more requirement for entertainment. We are comparing 80-90 year old Sports leagues to a young league of 13 years old but already reaching half in terms of valuation.

At the end, it seems to me that you have mostly stayed abroad and have no Idea of Ground realities inside the System. I have lived in India for first 25+ plus years of my life, have travelled and lived and followed local sports in almost 6+ states and speaking from my experience, as well as travelled to some 50+ countries.
    Sports Organisation in India has a long way to improve, but it is on the right track and It will only improve further.
    I mean even in Indian Super League of Football a few millions have been invested and still a large market to tap into. Athletico had bought a team with Ganguly.

So, without knowing any ground situation and realities, you are just mocking processes and systems you have no knowledge off.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1033 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Like i said, you will compare your poorly runned system with a very good system in place in NA and call it even.

There are school and uni teams everywhere. Point is, some are just for the sake of it. In NA there are not just for the sake of it, its a sporting nation. ANd if you dont do well in cricket, you get a collage degree to pursure a career somewhere else.

The uni qouta that you mentioned exists in Pakistan aswell.. Any politician or a kid who has bad marks can avail that qouta...

Like i said, blind nationalism will effect your thinking, so if you are interested just google away

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like i said, you will compare your poorly runned system with a very good system in place in NA and call it even.

There are school and uni teams everywhere. Point is, some are just for the sake of it. In NA there are not just for the sake of it, its a sporting nation. ANd if you dont do well in cricket, you get a collage degree to pursure a career somewhere else.

The uni qouta that you mentioned exists in Pakistan aswell.. Any politician or a kid who has bad marks can avail that qouta...

Like i said, blind nationalism will effect your thinking, so if you are interested just google away
    The point is, Pakistanis think that things still function in India exactly like Pakistan. They donít.

That is blind nationalism without applying any critical thinking and objectivity.

In fact I am thinking now you donít have much idea about Pakistan also because you are indirectly implying there is zero merit based sports management in Subcontinent, that is a huge huge generalised statement to make without any substantive knowledge of ground situation and reality.

I literally have given you examples and these scholarships I spoke about are run by private entities and enterprises demanding results.

Do you really think Neeraj and PV Sindhu and our Hockey players who won bronze and the cricket team players are quota players ?

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmaji View Post
    IPL is no where close to EPL or NBA or any other top sports league in the world. Even in India, it ranks lower than International and ICC tournaments that national team (Team India) plays.
    I like how people write opinions as facts without any basis.

IPL rights - $2.55 billion for 5 years
    BCCI rights - $945 million for 5 years
    ICC rights - $1.9 billion for 8 years

Also good job comparing it to NBA and PL, leagues that have been run for decades and with a 12 year old league. Shows your acumen in this subject. But please write another long post on why your opinions are a fact.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I read that there was a 20% decline in IPL viewership overall this year vs the prior year. How come?
    One reason could be IPL 2020 was available for free streaming on Hotstar last year with ads etc. But this time it is completely behind paywall.

Although the subscription packs are quite cheap and many telecos have monthly plans that include D+H subscription, it still puts a big dent when free viewers are barred.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is few sports management success stories and how you monetize the sports and improve standards, as well allow kids to make sports a viable career :

Kabaddi, the players are earning good sums of money, working really hard on their fitness and nutrition and have seen a huge surge in their life style. Kabaddi too has a good scouting system.

"As per the available data of the opening two weeks, Star Sports Pro Kabaddi viewership on TV increased by nearly 56% from the 2014 year's viewership. During the inaugural season, viewership was 43.5 crore (435 million) viewers, which was the second in India after the 56 crore (560 million) of IPL viewership. The online viewership also increased 1.3 crore unique visitors, which is 18.5 times than of last year's 7 lakh unique visitors. The third season which was flagged off on 30 January, recorded a surge in viewership with the opening week ratings 36 per cent higher than the week one viewership for its last season".

Badminton League :
    The player auctions are usually held at the end of each year for the subsequent season. Professional players from around the world enter the bidding where teams buy them.[3] The league has helped players more than double their annual earnings from prize money in the year 2018. According to the prominent Danish player Victor Axelsen, this was a crucial part of their annual income.[4] Each franchise has a purse of ₹2 crore (US$270,000) and the maximum a team can spend on a single player was ₹77 lakh (US$100,000) in the most recent 2020 auction.[5]

Indian Super League, a football league is valued a 12 Million USD. Previously unthinkable in India but their is craze for football as well and market to tap into. I am not saying India will become some football super power but still, there is some money to be made and a viable sports career now.

A long way and a long road ahead, but India knows how to monetize sports, market it and make money to support and ecosystem of players.
    IPL will only grow as it is the most followed sport and league in India, and numbers will increase and so will the brand valuation.
    If anyone thinks anything else, Come with Facts and Data and Figures to prove it wrong.

Poorly run.. lol. I can only laugh at such delusional statements.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firstly, perhaps it is only my opinion and not a fact that International matches that Team India plays command more loyalty, fan following and viewership than IPL matches. Are you saying brand IPL is bigger than brand Team India?

Now, if you read my post, I had clearly stated that one should NOT compare IPL with other leagues precisely as they have been around for decades and IPL is a newbie.

I have been consistent in my stand: I may not enjoy IPL as much as its die-hard fans do, but I watch quite a fair bit and know that it is very popular in India; I actually admire the success of IPL, and I think it will go further up from here. How is that in conflict with your perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by Cricfan4eva View Post
    I like how people write opinions as facts without any basis.

IPL rights - $2.55 billion for 5 years
    BCCI rights - $945 million for 5 years
    ICC rights - $1.9 billion for 8 years

Also good job comparing it to NBA and PL, leagues that have been run for decades and with a 12 year old league. Shows your acumen in this subject. But please write another long post on why your opinions are a fact.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hilarious how you read can through this thread and pin point the exact posters who cry themselves to night at IPL success.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmaji View Post
    Firstly, perhaps it is only my opinion and not a fact that International matches that Team India plays command more loyalty, fan following and viewership than IPL matches. Are you saying brand IPL is bigger than brand Team India?
    This isn't true though. If it were, BCCI rights would be valued significantly higher than IPL. 2018 both rights were sold months apart, Star paid 60 crores for an India game, while they paid 54 crores for an IPL game in the same period. That to me doesn't seem like a significant difference. ICC rights are not even close to this on a per game basis.

To say India Cricket > IPL is just passing off your opinion as facts. I say that because we haven't yet come across a scenario where we have seen both clash to make an assumption one is significantly more followed than the other.

What we have seen though is that twice IPL has come close to world events and BCCI and players have opted to rest during international tours but be fully available for IPL. Clearly IPL is already on level terms with international cricket when it comes to Indian market. But the new broadcast deal primed to go anywhere near 4 to 5bn USD will just make international cricket look like a joke in comparison.

And valuation is the best indicator to show where the money (viewership) is at...
    Last edited by Cricfan4eva; 22nd October 2021 at 11:48.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to one news report, Glazers are apparently collaborating with a big Indian corporate company for bidding.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL uses a scientific approach? Umran was selected based on his pace only.
    Selection on pace is a scientific approach only na.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL becoming bigger might be a good news for a couple of dozen players and BCCI, but overall for cricket this is the worst thing to happen. I am all for corporatization of most industries from railways to agriculture, but given a choice i would let cricket be an international game played all across rather than getting institutionalized by Indian corporates, which eventually seem to be happening.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unleashed View Post
    According to one news report, Glazers are apparently collaborating with a big Indian corporate company for bidding.
    Another Indian cricketer is collaborating with a corporate to bid for a team.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When will bidding take place and two new teams announced?

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Deepika Padukone and her husband are also bidding with someone.

Hopefully they don't win.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    When will bidding take place and two new teams announced?
    25 and 26 October.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Yes and apparently that Indian corporate may pick a stake in man utd.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully BCCI gets some much needed dollars so that it does not need ICC handouts to survive.
    Very important weeks coming up for IPL.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Hopefully BCCI gets some much needed dollars so that it does not need ICC handouts to survive.
    Very important weeks coming up for IPL.
    Yes hopefully they get $400mn plus for each team and dont depend on ICC charity.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where have you read this news?

As a Man Utd fan, I've a vested interest in the news.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Where have you read this news?

As a Man Utd fan, I've a vested interest in the news.

Its being discussed on a news channel. Apparently a big Indian conglomerate is backing the Glazers to pick up a IPL team.

They are also saying that man utd's debt has risen in last 18 months to astronomical levels and hence the Indian conglomerate may inject cash and pick stake.

If they would name the conglomerate, we can probably guess if the story is actually true.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its being discussed on a news channel. Apparently a big Indian conglomerate is backing the Glazers to pick up a IPL team.

They are also saying that man utd's debt has risen in last 18 months to astronomical levels and hence the Indian conglomerate may inject cash and pick stake.

If they would name the conglomerate, we can probably guess if the story is actually true.
    Interesting.
    I can see TATA as one possibility. They haven't been mentioned anywhere.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1033 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Here is few sports management success stories and how you monetize the sports and improve standards, as well allow kids to make sports a viable career :

Kabaddi, the players are earning good sums of money, working really hard on their fitness and nutrition and have seen a huge surge in their life style. Kabaddi too has a good scouting system.

"As per the available data of the opening two weeks, Star Sports Pro Kabaddi viewership on TV increased by nearly 56% from the 2014 year's viewership. During the inaugural season, viewership was 43.5 crore (435 million) viewers, which was the second in India after the 56 crore (560 million) of IPL viewership. The online viewership also increased 1.3 crore unique visitors, which is 18.5 times than of last year's 7 lakh unique visitors. The third season which was flagged off on 30 January, recorded a surge in viewership with the opening week ratings 36 per cent higher than the week one viewership for its last season".

Badminton League :
    The player auctions are usually held at the end of each year for the subsequent season. Professional players from around the world enter the bidding where teams buy them.[3] The league has helped players more than double their annual earnings from prize money in the year 2018. According to the prominent Danish player Victor Axelsen, this was a crucial part of their annual income.[4] Each franchise has a purse of ₹2 crore (US$270,000) and the maximum a team can spend on a single player was ₹77 lakh (US$100,000) in the most recent 2020 auction.[5]

Indian Super League, a football league is valued a 12 Million USD. Previously unthinkable in India but their is craze for football as well and market to tap into. I am not saying India will become some football super power but still, there is some money to be made and a viable sports career now.

A long way and a long road ahead, but India knows how to monetize sports, market it and make money to support and ecosystem of players.
    IPL will only grow as it is the most followed sport and league in India, and numbers will increase and so will the brand valuation.
    If anyone thinks anything else, Come with Facts and Data and Figures to prove it wrong.

Poorly run.. lol. I can only laugh at such delusional statements.
    now here you are talking about revenue...

I wasnt even talking abour revenue I was talking about something else.

But as usual, to compare how big the ipl is you will bring the revenue point when infact i was talking about the comparity.

Cannot argue further with someone who has blind nationalism. For him the NA draft system is equivalent to the Indian pa je standing on the side lines and selecting a player

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    now here you are talking about revenue...

I wasnt even talking abour revenue I was talking about something else.

But as usual, to compare how big the ipl is you will bring the revenue point when infact i was talking about the comparity.

Cannot argue further with someone who has blind nationalism. For him the NA draft system is equivalent to the Indian pa je standing on the side lines and selecting a player
    You tried to mock process and system and called it a poorly run one.
    Plenty of lessons for you today to learn that how a good sport system is nurtured and organised, managed to reap revenues and create an ecosystem and pathways, including scouting and player management.
    Now go off, learn the lessons and do not make assumptions about things/systems you have no idea about.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1033 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You tried to mock process and system and called it a poorly run one.
    Plenty of lessons for you today to learn that how a good sport system is nurtured and organised, managed to reap revenues and create an ecosystem and pathways, including scouting and player management.
    Now go off, learn the lessons and do not make assumptions about things/systems you have no idea about.
    by using fancy words, the IPL doesnt become equivalent to NA leagues

You dont even have any knowledge regarding NA leagues and you are bashing others.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    by using fancy words, the IPL doesnt become equivalent to NA leagues

You dont even have any knowledge regarding NA leagues and you are bashing others.
    No once i said that those leagues are poorly run or made any assumptions about whether they are bad just because they are in certain country. In fact i agreed to your point about the superior drafting system.
    But you on the other hand, Since there is India in the IPL, got triggered about the fact that how can these Indians try to compete with the US/UK/Global leagues.

Guess what, IPL is already the 15th ranked Professional sports league in the world by revenue.

Within 13 years, it has leap frogged other leagues and has became a top ranked and valued brand.
    The other 14 on top are in Major Economies and now running for 50 plus years.

Imagine the potential with Indian economy growing further.
    You really think all this is possible without having a quality product and proper Sports Management, System and processes, the so called Fancy words as per you.

At the end, I can understand. Pakistanis have never seen any institution become successful in their country and the default position is that It cannot happen in India also. Get over that, because the IPL story has just begun.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1033 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No once i said that those leagues are poorly run or made any assumptions about whether they are bad just because they are in certain country. In fact i agreed to your point about the superior drafting system.
    But you on the other hand, Since there is India in the IPL, got triggered about the fact that how can these Indians try to compete with the US/UK/Global leagues.

Guess what, IPL is already the 15th ranked Professional sports league in the world by revenue.

Within 13 years, it has leap frogged other leagues and has became a top ranked and valued brand.
    The other 14 on top are in Major Economies and now running for 50 plus years.

Imagine the potential with Indian economy growing further.
    You really think all this is possible without having a quality product and proper Sports Management, System and processes, the so called Fancy words as per you.

At the end, I can understand. Pakistanis have never seen any institution become successful in their country and the default position is that It cannot happen in India also. Get over that, because the IPL story has just begun.
    again, im not even talking about revenue. This is something I have repeated 10 times.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by par View Post
    Is there a salary cap in football leagues also ? IPL teams have a restriction on how much they can spend on players' salary.
    are you saying that if there was no salary cap, someone would bid £198M to have Chris Morris as a part of their franchise for 6 weeks?

Like PSG did to buy Neymar from Barcelona

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    again, im not even talking about revenue. This is something I have repeated 10 times.
    No, you spoke about Poorly run system and sports management and drafting system. Apart from seriously good drafting system,
    other things are falling into place in India. Not only in cricket but other sports as well.

You are a knowledgeable guy, you also know it is sum of parts and it involves everything, holistic approach to player identification, player management.

Manchester United thinking about a bid is a step in the right direction. Athletico Madrids investment in ISL was also a good step. That means the some good things happening and people are willing to invest in Sports in India.

And and the end, All these good things, the processes and systems need revenue, which is the most important part.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    are you saying that if there was no salary cap, someone would bid £198M to have Chris Morris as a part of their franchise for 6 weeks?

Like PSG did to buy Neymar from Barcelona
    Well a person with a net worth of 100bn usd can afford to bid 100mn usd for a Kohli. No? Provided IPL runs 9 to 10 months a year.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Draft day is one of the most important events over there, and here we have people calling IPL equivalent to those leagues

NCAA do not keep track of School stats. NCAA = ICC, they are just a governing body that make the rules for collegiate sports. There are also NAIA and NJCAA for Juco. Don't pay much attention to High School Stats in the US because most of the stats are kept by some parent, and they will pad up some stats.
    College coaches recruit kids based on their experience. Also they are not looking just at a kids athletic ability, but also other metrics such as coachability, good fit to the team, family, grades, etc.
    The beauty of American system is if someone is really good they have many avenues to get in front of a coach and go up the ladder. There are also paid recruiters who will help you with college recruiting process, but they are used by kids who are mediocre with rich parents.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well a person with a net worth of 100bn usd can afford to bid 100mn usd for a Kohli. No? Provided IPL runs 9 to 10 months a year.
    As I said somewhere earlier, The real money is in an Asian super league where there should be 10 franchises each in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh and 4 divisions. A 4 division season that is played 9-10 months in the year. That would be the real $$$

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    As I said somewhere earlier, The real money is in an Asian super league where there should be 10 franchises each in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh and 4 divisions. A 4 division season that is played 9-10 months in the year. That would be the real $$$
    If there was much money in Pakistan BD and SL, their league would make atleast 20 per cent of the IPL?

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know much about the sponshorship mumbo jumbo
    I only hope we get a Jammu & kashmir and ladakh representative franchisee
    And whilst at it, also a north eastern team, specifically maniipur or meghalay or assam, we have enough sports mad guys there from personal experience...

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If there was much money in Pakistan BD and SL, their league would make atleast 20 per cent of the IPL?
    What i meant to say was, the IPL franchises should start off as the premier division of the Asian super league with the potential of 2 teams being relegated. The other three divisions below should consist of 3 Pakistani, 3x Bengali, 3x Sri Lankan and 1x Afghan franchise. Then there could be sub divisions with teams from Oman, UAE, Nepal etc. It could potentially be a 6/7 division structure with a promotion and relegation system. No salary caps, no transfer limits, no overseas player quotas etc.

No one is asking for teams to emerge from scrap. Mumbai Indians, KKR, CSK can all remain a part of this with their owners, but the excitement in this league will increase tenfold if there is the potential to get relegated into the division below, or if a team like Peshawar Zalmi could gain promotion in the premier division and face teams like KKR, MI and RCB for the season.

Its just an idea, i doubt it will ever materialise

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Media reports now state that 18 entities have picked up the tender. How many bid, remains to be seen.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What i meant to say was, the IPL franchises should start off as the premier division of the Asian super league with the potential of 2 teams being relegated.
    There's no money in that. The big money is in India, not Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Afghanistan etc. If anything, those other teams will take the value of the league down.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Report - Manchester United owners have picked up the bidding documents and they're among the 22 entities bidding for new IPL teams.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devadwal View Post
    Report - Manchester United owners have picked up the bidding documents and they're among the 22 entities bidding for new IPL teams.
    Wow, 22 bids for 2 new teams? 😳

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BCCI gon walk away with 1-1.6 billion USD come monday.

For perspective, 1 billion US is what CA and ECB earn in 5 years from selling all of their broadcast rights.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dildilpak View Post
    Wow, 22 bids for 2 new teams? 😳
    IPL has become a status symbol in India also a readymade advertisement for the owners original business.

There are very rich people in India whom the public doesn't know. They lack the limelight and publicity. IPL team gives them that.

For eg.

Aurobindo Pharma owner PV Reddy is worth usd 2.5bn plus according to forbes. But most indians wont know his name. Same with the owners of Torrent group Samir and Sudhir Mehta who according to forbes are worth usd 7bn.

They get a IPL team, they become celebs.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
    BCCI gon walk away with 1-1.6 billion USD come monday.

For perspective, 1 billion US is what CA and ECB earn in 5 years from selling all of their broadcast rights.
    If they hit 1bn usd it will be great. Anything above that will be beyond even BCCI's expectations.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Something tells me that one of the teams will be owned by a dark horse or an unexpected entity who will bid over the top.

Always happens in IPL team auctions.

Rajasthan and KKR were won by unexpected bidders who outbid big corporates.

In the second team auction again, Kochi was bought by a unknown consortium.

In the third team auction, Intex group unexpectedly outbid the Adanis. Wonder if intex picked up the tender again.

22 bidders even if half turn up to bid, it will be raining money.

I want a big corporate or billionaire to own the team.

I will lose it if any bollywood wala manages to get a team.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    https://www.businessinsider.in/sport...w/87186076.cms

Manchester United fans in India have one more thing to be excited about after getting back Cristiano Ronaldo this year – the club’s owners are getting excited about the world’s biggest cricket league, the Indian Premier League (IPL).

According to a report by The Times of India, Manchester United owners, Avram Glazer and Joel Glazer, have picked up the invitation-to-tender (ITT) document for bidding for a new IPL franchise. The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) floated tenders to invite bids for two new IPL teams.

Another report also suggests that BCCI extended the deadline for picking up the tender documents for the Glazer family, which could imply that the ManU (Manchester United) owners are serious about getting one of the two new IPL teams.

But why would the owners of a highly popular football club even want to bid for an IPL team in the first place? There could be multiple reasons.

For starters, even though Manchester United is financially one of the biggest clubs in the English Premier League (EPL), with a revenue of ₹5,107 crore in 2021, it has reported losses in three out of the past four years. That is a cumulative loss of nearly £134 million (approx. ₹1,400 crore) in the last four years.

In comparison, Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and Mumbai Indians (MI), two of the most profitable franchises in the IPL, have reported profits in three out of the past four years.

In the unlisted market, CSK is said to have a valuation of anywhere between ₹3,300 to ₹4,200 crore (approx. $0.4-0.6 billion) – which means it is halfway through the unicorn status.

Unicorn is a term used to refer to firms with a valuation of $1 billion or more.

ManU, on the other hand, is said to be valued at $4.2 billion in 2021. With new IPL franchises expected to cost between ₹2,000-3,500 crore, this would allow the Glazer brothers to scoop up what could be a value purchase.

If ManU owners indeed buy an IPL franchise, they will have to change the way they think about money making.

For instance, while merchandise revenue accounts for nearly 19% of the club’s total revenue, it doesn’t even register as a separate item in CSK’s financial reports.

On the flip side, employee benefit expenses – the money that franchises pay to their players and staff, is slightly on the lower side for IPL franchises, when compared to ManU.

While employee benefit expenses accounted for 60% of ManU’s operating expenses, it stood at 54% for CSK.

With the kind of craze that cricket and IPL have in India, and the profitability of CSK and MI, this could prove to be a no-brainer even for a family that is invested in football.

According to BCCI, IPL’s television viewership stood at 380 million after the first 35 matches, with 21 more league matches left and the knockout matches and finals yet to be accounted for.

Debut
    Oct 2008
    Venue
    SanFrancisco/Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dildilpak View Post
    Wow, 22 bids for 2 new teams? ��
    Not bids, but showed interest by picking up the tender. Probably half of them may make a bid.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Dubai [UAE], The D-day is here as two new Indian Premier League (IPL) teams will be revealed on Monday afternoon, and the owners of Manchester United -- the Glazer family -- are in the UAE to try and ensure they get to own one team in the cash-rich league.

Speaking to ANI, sources in the know of developments confirmed the presence of the Manchester United owners in the UAE for the big day.

"Yes, they are here. We will know by afternoon on which two cities have teams and who are the owners," said the source.

Manchester United owners showing interest to be a part of the IPL may be one of the reasons why the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on September 21 informed they have decided to extend the date for purchasing the Invitation to Tender (ITT) for the right to own and operate one of two proposed new IPL teams document till October 10 from the initial deadline of October 5.

Earlier, speaking to ANI, sources in the know confirmed the interest shown by Manchester United owners ."Well yes, it is true that they have shown interest and that may be one of the reasons why the dateline was extended by the BCCI. IPL is not just restricted to India, it is a global entity now," the source pointed.

The Governing Council of the IPL had issued the 'Invitation to Tender' ("ITT") document available on payment of the non-refundable tender fees on August 31, 2021.

"Pursuant to request from interested parties, the BCCI has now decided to extend the date for purchasing the ITT document till October 10, 2021," BCCI Secretary Jay Shah said in a statement.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...w-teams/826371

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sanjiv Goenka Group reportedly put a Rs. 7,000 crore ($932 million) bid for one of the IPL teams.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Something tells me that one of the teams will be owned by a dark horse or an unexpected entity who will bid over the top.

Always happens in IPL team auctions.

Rajasthan and KKR were won by unexpected bidders who outbid big corporates.

In the second team auction again, Kochi was bought by a unknown consortium.

In the third team auction, Intex group unexpectedly outbid the Adanis. Wonder if intex picked up the tender again.

22 bidders even if half turn up to bid, it will be raining money.

I want a big corporate or billionaire to own the team.

I will lose it if any bollywood wala manages to get a team.
    As expected, CVC is the dark horse.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Team names?

I seriously can't think of any good team name.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    362 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Is this a foreign organisation?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    Is this a foreign organisation?
    Yes.

They owned formula 1 previously. Now have a stake in La Liga. They also have stakes in rugby union.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UzmanBeast View Post
    Team names?

I seriously can't think of any good team name.
    Lucknow Lancers

Ahmedabad Aces

My choice names.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    Sanjiv Goenka Group reportedly put a Rs. 7,000 crore ($932 million) bid for one of the IPL teams.
    These are staggering amounts. Do these teams get good returns on their investments? Somehow not sold on the valuations. Is IPL so profitable?!