Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

India vs Pakistan - Its all too familiar

So we are on the verge of another India vs Pakistan game this weekend. Needless to say that this one also comes with a plethora of hype, player statements, media coverage and fan's anticipation of a win. Given Pakistan and India have been restricted to world cup encounters for the past decade the games are less forthcoming and thus have a lot of eyeballs associated with it.

When I say its all too familiar is because we have been on this road far too many times in the past decade that we can draw a lot of parallels. We have seen in the past a plethora of new threads open of PP fortnight before the game discussing strategies and player roles to the most granular detail. We have seen statements from players that are usually out of norm. And we have seen extensive media coverage that would otherwise not exist creating additional pressure for this game. Whether we like it or not post the game we would see many of familiar trends as well (when Pakistan loses).
    a. We would see a number of new threads on why Pakistan cricket has failed and why certain players should never be selected for Pakistan.
    b. We would see media bashing our players to no tomorrow and unapologetically (ironically same players they are hyping now).
    c. We would almost certainly see no further statements from Pakistan players or management until they return home.

Its all too familiar a tale that I fear is going to be repeated and we as Pakistan fans have fallen once again in rinse and repeat territory.

The purpose of this thread is not to kill the mood ahead of the game but logically introspect our shortcomings as fans. However, on a positive front I would also like to add in here that given its a T20 (shorter format) we need less players to perform to win a game, meaning an individual brilliance can win a game usually in this format. On paper Pakistan XI have only 2 such players that might do well on the day as they are ones I believe who do not carry much mental block weightage; Rizwan and Fakhar. If both of these fire on the day then we might be able to chase the Indian total down however I have no confidence in our bowlers defending a total against Indian team.

Pakistan's bowling is a massive worry for me personally. Unlike other teams we do not even have one (I mean not even one) dependable bowler. Our best bowler Shaheen is usually taken to cleaners in this format and less we say about others the better. Every other major team has atleast got one dependable bowler who either would pick wickets or keeps the run down.

On top of the bowling woes the lack of respect Pakistan management has given to fielding and fitness recently is mind boggling. Our pathetic fielding standards will haunt us on the field with ageing players combining with butter fingers we would be hideous. Casually speaking Imad, Hasan, Haris, Malik and Haider are simply not good fielders. On the same front I'm not much confident about the fitness of 40 year olds when it would come to convert 1s into 2s or sprint to save a boundary. These small margins carry massive weightage in this format.

Overall, we have kind of repeated the past history and its all too familiar. With management selecting experience over merit. With media going abuzz with expectations when we have not achieved anything meaningful of late. With fans hyping our team to the moon. The pre-match syndrome is identical to the one we have had multiple times in the past. I pray and hope the post match diagnosis is different this time around.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Every Pakistan India match we always hear "this is Pakistan's best chance" etc.
    Our best chance was pre IPL days when there wasn't as big a gulf between the sides. There has never been a bigger gulf between the sides and there is absolutely no chance Pakistan can win. The media won't tell you that though so that the contest can keep its hype but if you take away the political context its like a game between England and Sri Lanka.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnowbasher View Post
    Every Pakistan India match we always hear "this is Pakistan's best chance" etc.
    Our best chance was pre IPL days when there wasn't as big a gulf between the sides. There has never been a bigger gulf between the sides and there is absolutely no chance Pakistan can win. The media won't tell you that though so that the contest can keep its hype but if you take away the political context its like a game between England and Sri Lanka.
    It's just a T20 game....so Pakistan has fair chance....if it were to be a 50-over or Test match, Pakistan stands no chance.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The first 6 overs of this match will decide who is the winner, irrespective of who is batting.

A couple of quick wickets for Pakistan and their tails will be up, a good start for Pakistan and that sets it up nicely.

The biggest problem is that India has more match-winners than India and that is vital.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    India is too formidable. Let's not put too much pressure on our team. I hope they can win the remaining games afterwards when they can finally play without the India Pakistan pressure.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Virat Kohli-led Indian unit will look to maintain the perfect record against arch rivals Pakistan, when they take on each other in the T20 World Cup clash on Sunday.

The Men In Blue have always delivered against Pakistan in the prestigious event, something Kohli would like to keep it intact before handling the mantle to others.

However, sharing his views on the much-anticipated clash, former India cricketer Mohammad Kaif said he is not a fan of previous records but is sure of India passing the test with flying colours.

“India have always dominated Pakistan in the World Cup, a record that is there on the papers. However, I'm not a huge fan of records and I'm sure neither is the Indian team and they want to see what happens on the pitch on the given day.”

“The team is well prepared with Virat Kohli making the plans, then there is MS Dhoni too now as a mentor,” said Kaif in an exclusive interaction with Zee News.

The former cricketer, who has played in 125 ODIs and 13 Tests, believes India to have an edge going into the contest, listing their recent experience of playing the IPL in UAE and the rich form of Indian cricketers as the reasons behind it.

“India will have an upper hand going into the contest because they are in Dubai for about two months now and the players are used to the surface," he added.

Kaif said it will come as a huge upset if Pakistan manage to beat India at the showpiece event as he drew comparisons between both the teams.

“If Pakistan manage to beat India, I'll personally be very surprised because they don't have a strong unit as that of India. Anything can happen in T20 cricket, but if we look at the names in Indian camp, the current form or how to handle a pressure situation, the teams stands prepared," he said.

India and Pakistan are pooled in Group 2 of the Super 12 stage alongside Afghanistan and New Zealand. Two more teams will join them from the opening round.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...873404339.html

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    India is a too big of a team to be intimidated and run over by Pakistan. While Indian players take matches against Pakistan as a routine affair, our players start getting antsy and sleepless nights six months before the matches start. It is going to be a one-sided affair with India annihilating Pakistan.

Sehwag and Steyn are the Best.

Debut
    Apr 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just need to make sure that we donít lose by big margin

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a T20 guys. If it was ODI, I would have said that India had bigger chance but in T20, it's 50-50 or rather 60-40 in favor of Pakistan because as I have seen over the years, Pakistan thrives in bursting out for a shorter period of time to punch above their weight which suits perfectly for T20.

India on the other hand, takes time to establish its dominance and hence, ODI suits better but not T20.

India or Pakistan, both can defeat each other.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shujaatraza View Post
    Just need to make sure that we don’t lose by big margin
    Good point, as NRR could come into it in the end.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1034 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You guys are focusing on the wrong things just like the teams.

We could had defeated india back in 2016 but i was because of afridis dumb captaincy we lost.

Watch the 2016 nz game with india. Nz read the conditions that it would favor spinners and they santner bowling and winning the match. We went in the india game and their spinner dominated us.

Pakistan blew the game up when usman qadir was added in reserves and the likes of sarfraz and haider found themselves in the main squad for no reason.

Uae is a spinners paradise and india is going in with its spinners. Pakistan would be tumbling amd same mistakes will be repeated. Shadab cant bowl. Hes a rubbish bowler

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pak should just make sure there net r/r donít take a beating, as we saw in the last World Cup it was there downfall !!

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    Offenbach am Main, Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1075 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

It's the first Indo-Pak match which I'll be watching from the hospital. I had hoped to be discharged by yesterday or so, but my condition demands that I must stay here for at least over the weekend.

Anyway, all the arrangements are in place to watch the match from over here. I've even been watching the qualifying round, mind you, and any doctor or nurse who enters the room wonders which sport this is which they had never known about in life.

The doctor treating me is a South Indian Christian named Aron Krist, mind you. However, I'm pretty sure that he isn't much interested in cricket. Seems to have completely adapted to the German lifestyle.

"It sounds like you have a great strength of character and strong will" - Ellyse Perry about me.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's going to be a 100% beat down.

Pak bowling attack is one of the worst attacks going around.

Do fans really think spray guns like Hassan, Rauf and Afridi are going to contact the Indian batters

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AAli98 View Post
    Pak should just make sure there net r/r don’t take a beating, as we saw in the last World Cup it was there downfall !!
    This. Losing out in WC on nrr was a bitter pill to swallow. I hope we dont get a mauling tomorrow. I hope our batters put their hands up as our bowling is in for some rough treatment.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post
    It's the first Indo-Pak match which I'll be watching from the hospital. I had hoped to be discharged by yesterday or so, but my condition demands that I must stay here for at least over the weekend.

Anyway, all the arrangements are in place to watch the match from over here. I've even been watching the qualifying round, mind you, and any doctor or nurse who enters the room wonders which sport this is which they had never known about in life.

The doctor treating me is a South Indian Christian named Aron Krist, mind you. However, I'm pretty sure that he isn't much interested in cricket. Seems to have completely adapted to the German lifestyle.
    Get well soon mate and enjoy the game!

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hope it is not another

Pakistan 137/8 (20)
    India 138/3 (17.1)

Type of match.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Possibly the first India-Pakistan game, where I have no hopes from our boys. India looks ruthless, while Pakistan is stil the same inconsistent team even in familiar conditions.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    One of the weakest Pakistan team facing the best Indian team. If our best team couldn't beat weaker India previously how can we beat India with this lalloo team. our best batsman Babar is a walking wicket against any decent spinner. Indian spinners are the best along with Afghanistan.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    One of the weakest Pakistan team facing the best Indian team. If our best team couldn't beat weaker India previously how can we beat India with this lalloo team. our best batsman Babar is a walking wicket against any decent spinner. Indian spinners are the best along with Afghanistan.
    Donít think this is the best Indian team. Kohli is past his peak in T20ís, Sharma is 34 and approaching the end of his international career, Shami, Shardul, And Bhuvi wonít be a threat to Pakistan.

This is Pakistanís best chance of beating India.

Bring Back Umar Akmal

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan has good players like Babar, Rizwan, Shaheen, Hasan Ali and even Imad and Shadab. Our 2016 side was hopeless with an overage Afridi leading the side with the likes of Sami bowling.

That being said, India are the favorites 90-10 in my opinion. It's not just about squad it's about mental strength in WC matches and captaincy where Pakistan lags behind significantly.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we have good strategies, then this game can go in our favor.

I will share some observations and potential plans against individual players.

Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul, Virat Kohli - good off the back foot on the leg-side, and good on the front-foot when playing the ball down the ground. An area of weakness is the third-man region. In the powerplay, I would keep a third-man and a deep cover/extra-cover and bowl back of a length. If they want to cut the ball, they won't have the width so they'll run it down to third man. Changing pace will also be important, because I'd rather they get lucky fours by dragging it on the leg-side rather than bowling in areas they're comfortable in playing. The line should be on 4th-5th stump and constant changes of pace and seam positions should be incorporated by our pacers. The wicket-taking delivery will be the yorker, at least one should land on the stumps. Even in the middle-overs, I would bowl away from the leg-side and force them to play good strokes to get runs.

Suryakumar, Pant, Hardik - these guys are more unconventional, and so, spin will be a good way to get some pressure on them. Hafeez should bowl to Pant whenever he comes out to bat, and if Pant is struggling, we can also bring in Malik. Shadab Khan will be the liability at this stage, he cannot go for runs. Pant will always try to attack spinners on the leg-side, so I would probably get Imad to angle the ball away from the bat going over the wicket, getting a top-edged slog, and forcing him to play on the off-side. Hardik should get a few overs from the pacers, with change-of-pace and leg-stump yorkers. Surya likes to sweep, so having someone like Imad bowling at him at a quicker pace would be worthwhile, even Hafeez to some extent.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    Don’t think this is the best Indian team. Kohli is past his peak in T20’s, Sharma is 34 and approaching the end of his international career, Shami, Shardul, And Bhuvi won’t be a threat to Pakistan.

This is Pakistan’s best chance of beating India.
    Both out of form Kohli/Rohit are far superior than 2 grandpas Hafeez+Malik who are proven failure in World Cups plus useless Sarfraz selection based on quota.
    Babar cannot play spin. Apart from Fakhar (mostly hit/miss) we lack of proper batsmen.
    Neither of Imad/Shadab is good and Qadir is there just because of his father who is nothing but garbage.
    Rauf is our weakest link. Shaheen is average. Hasan's performance is on/off.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DHONI183 View Post

Double check the medicine he gives you

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don’t think this is the best Indian team. Kohli is past his peak in T20’s, Sharma is 34 and approaching the end of his international career, Shami, Shardul, And Bhuvi won’t be a threat to Pakistan.

This is Pakistan’s best chance of beating India.
    Pakistan does not have even 1 decent T20 bowler. Go figure how they would control the Indian batting line-up.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Venue
    Offenbach am Main, Germany
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1075 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Extra_Cover View Post
    Get well soon mate and enjoy the game!
    Thanks, sir. Much valued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    Double check the medicine he gives you
    Well, so for he has prescribed me Ivabradine, and it's certainly causing me severe trouble. So yeah, I've got my eyes on him.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaddy View Post
    I hope it is not another

Pakistan 137/8 (20)
    India 138/3 (17.1)

Type of match.

If India win the toss, this is exactly how the match will go

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Donít think this is the best Indian team. Kohli is past his peak in T20ís, Sharma is 34 and approaching the end of his international career, Shami, Shardul, And Bhuvi wonít be a threat to Pakistan.

This is Pakistanís best chance of beating India.
    Kohli is probably going downhill but Rohit is far from over - he is definitely playing at least 2-3 years more at the top level

Shami , Shardul , Bhuvi wont be a threatt but the spinners - Varun & Rahul Chahar will be big threat on these slow pitches

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistan has more chances to win.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been complicated by our past records in worldcups against India. Champions trophy went a long way in reducing the hype around India's record against Pakistan in WCs because it was a final of a big ICC tournament.

Pakistan is capable of beating India in these conditions. Out of all the teams in the worldcup it's Pakistan and India that are the most capable of winning the worldcup here in UAE however the past plays in our players mind. Even though the overall record Pakistan has against India is absolutely the ideal record you can ask for against a nation of 1.4 billion cricket loving fans who are your arch rivals.

If Pakistan can find it in themselves to not get pressurized by the situation and play the game on merit I feel the teams are capable beating of each other on the day.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    842 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Some indian fans are playing it safe before the match and trying to prove that Pakistan are favorites to win. This too looks pretty familiar to me. Win win situation for them because if India wins they will be back to making fun of Pakistan team.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Let's hope for some passion from the boys. Winning and losing is part of the game but a passionless performance is not acceptable.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India is stronger on paper, but in t20 cricket the only thing that matters is who shows up on the day. A couple of good performances is all it takes to win.

India slight favorites imo

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
    India is stronger on paper, but in t20 cricket the only thing that matters is who shows up on the day. A couple of good performances is all it takes to win.

India slight favorites imo
    I thought Pakistan is strong on paper .. what's your meaning of strong on paper, it has to be experience right?
    Current Pakistan team has played close to 100 more games than india and combined with familiarity of playing in UAE

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Some indian fans are playing it safe before the match and trying to prove that Pakistan are favorites to win. This too looks pretty familiar to me. Win win situation for them because if India wins they will be back to making fun of Pakistan team.
    What's your honest prediction of the big game? Surely India are clear favourites

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The format is such that the difference is narrower than it would be, in longer formats.
    There would be no shortage for motivation or intensity when pak go out, the happenings of the recent past, rambo with the blank cheque, the whole hype takes care of that.
    In a way even though they are not the hosts, its a home WC in the Uae
    The pitches have become low slow as seen in the two matches. Anything can happen.
    I hope our guys donot get caught up in the 'another match, no extra pressure on us' and become too coool , hope we maintain our intensity for the length of the match.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    And it's a win win for you too. If your national team wins, you can go back to making fun of Pant, Kohli the captain and general arrogance of Indian fans.

And if India wins, you can always hide the pain