Michael Vaughan: "I'm named in the Azeem Rafiq report - but I totally deny any accusation of racism" - Page 2


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 160 of 540
  1. #81
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,287
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    @street cricketer

    That a hypocritical point of view.. you can be racist towards any race.. white is a color too just like black brown yellow etc...
    The very fact that you make a false equivalence between all colours tells me you don't understand racism fully.

    This is like saying brahmin is just another caste and a brahmin has an equal chance of encountering casteism as a Dalit does.

    You can be prejudiced towards white people but racism implies a different thing. Racism is when a person is seen as "inferior" because of say he's black in skin complexion. A white person may encounter prejudice due to personal likings and dislikings of a person, but he will never be considered "inferior" because of his skin complexion. Humans have undergone a psychological evolution over time where white/fair was/is considered the "standard" and anything dark or black was considered ugly/evil/inferior. There is a reason when someone says "he has a dark past", we immediately think of evil.

  2. #82
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    1,634
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    No, you gave me your misunderstanding.

    I’m British and I know what institutional racism means in Britain.

    For example - black women are four times more likely to die in childbirth than white women. The health care procedures are identical for all women. Yet the discrepancy in outcome exists. That is an example of institutional racism in service provision.
    Where did you get these stats from?

  3. #83
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    1,134
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I don’t see how Vaughan’s media career can continue.
    Don't worry he will just have to move to Australia, they will have him here no problem!

  4. #84
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    1,634
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    The very fact that you make a false equivalence between all colours tells me you don't understand racism fully.

    This is like saying brahmin is just another caste and a brahmin has an equal chance of encountering casteism as a Dalit does.

    You can be prejudiced towards white people but racism implies a different thing. Racism is when a person is seen as "inferior" because of say he's black in skin complexion. A white person may encounter prejudice due to personal likings and dislikings of a person, but he will never be considered "inferior" because of his skin complexion. Humans have undergone a psychological evolution over time where white/fair was/is considered the "standard" and anything dark or black was considered ugly/evil/inferior. There is a reason when someone says "he has a dark past", we immediately think of evil.
    Im sure brahmins think whites are inferior to them..

    I said you can be racist to all races which is FACT..

    Irish aka white were considered inferior. Im sure you know about the irish famine and were enslaved as well..

  5. #85
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    5,404
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Years of racist tweets by Vaughan really help me believe that he's not a racist.

  6. Google Ad Manager-
  7. #86
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,730
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    GREAT talent always makes it through regardless of the system. Money is money and ECB would like to make money..

    If there was a Great south asian player with immense talent he wouldve played for england by now.

    Fact is there hasnt been one...
    So your logic is that racism isn’t a problem here (despite many players and people telling you it is) because if a player is talented enough he will make it through regardless.

    That’s just ridiculous. I was never going to play cricket at county or international level. But I loved the game and my experience of even club cricket in Yorkshire was my most uncomfortable experience in the UK. Only situation where I felt uncomfortable. I’m fairly fair skinned/ adaptable so I had it better than most but it was still terrible.

  8. #87
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    1,134
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Sir-fraz why are you challenging each and every Brit on what does and doesn't happen here. We all have lived experienced, you know of Britian what you see in the media mainstream or social. Every point out forward you have questioned the legitimacy of it.

  9. #88
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    1,634
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salma_T View Post
    @Sir-fraz why are you challenging each and every Brit on what does and doesn't happen here. We all have lived experienced, you know of Britian what you see in the media mainstream or social. Every point out forward you have questioned the legitimacy of it.
    Street cricket hasnt mentioned hes from the UK.. and what im challenging now is the every race can face racism.. which is fact..

  10. #89
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    1,634
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post
    So your logic is that racism isn’t a problem here (despite many players and people telling you it is) because if a player is talented enough he will make it through regardless.

    That’s just ridiculous. I was never going to play cricket at county or international level. But I loved the game and my experience of even club cricket in Yorkshire was my most uncomfortable experience in the UK. Only situation where I felt uncomfortable. I’m fairly fair skinned/ adaptable so I had it better than most but it was still terrible.
    Where did i say that? Dont put your words in my mouth. I said that azeems case is of opporunity.

    I said above im sure it happens but its clearly not institutional. Get rid of the old brass and bring in new faces..

  11. #90
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,287
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    Im sure brahmins think whites are inferior to them..

    I said you can be racist to all races which is FACT..

    Irish aka white were considered inferior. Im sure you know about the irish famine and were enslaved as well..
    And was that because of their skin complexion?

  12. #91
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    64
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    Street cricket hasnt mentioned hes from the UK.. and what im challenging now is the every race can face racism.. which is fact..
    I don't disagree with that at all. However that does not change the fact that an Asian will face far more challenges to make it pro than a non Asian

  13. #92
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    64
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    Where did i say that? Dont put your words in my mouth. I said that azeems case is of opporunity.

    I said above im sure it happens but its clearly not institutional. Get rid of the old brass and bring in new faces..
    The fact that institutional change is required - replacing old with new, is the very definition of institutional racism. It's the ones at the top that set policy and strategy and the ones that can effect change

  14. #93
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    1,634
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    And was that because of their skin complexion?
    I guess u can call them off-white lol, if knew some history you would know arabs had white slaves and so did africans..

    Slavery has been subject to all races as has racism.. i rest my case. You can be racist to any and all races.

  15. #94
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    1,634
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
    The fact that institutional change is required - replacing old with new, is the very definition of institutional racism. It's the ones at the top that set policy and strategy and the ones that can effect change
    There no policy that statement dont hire asians.. its induvidual decision making

  16. #95
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    1,634
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
    I don't disagree with that at all. However that does not change the fact that an Asian will face far more challenges to make it pro than a non Asian
    Yea thats slowly changing, where asians and blacks will get hired even though they dont deserve it and i dont like that at all either.

    Should be merit based, but 90% of the time its who you know

  17. #96
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Runs
    64
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    Yea thats slowly changing, where asians and blacks will get hired even though they dont deserve it and i dont like that at all either.

    Should be merit based, but 90% of the time its who you know
    Again, I agree that it's getting better. Hoping the momentum remains positive

  18. #97
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    6,838
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakHammer View Post
    Vaughan has a nasty streak to him so I would not be surprised if he did say those words.

    I can't forget when he tweeted that Moeen Ali should check with Muslim cricket fans if they know any terrorists!
    No way, did he actually say this?!

  19. #98
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    1,634
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    No way, did he actually say this?!
    Unforgiveable if he made this remark...

  20. #99
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    6,838
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    Unforgiveable if he made this remark...
    I would be surprised if he said that because everyone would have boycotted/cancelled him by now.

  21. #100
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    738
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    Sorry i actually linked the wrong article, this is the correct one.

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ni-player.html
    Please everyone who reads this article - read the comments from the public. There are around 20-30 comments. Hardly ANY of them are supporting the victims! I promise you this is the general attitude. Look at the way the black players were treated after the England football deservedly got beat by the Italians in the Euros. They got hammered in social media. It is these closet racists who rear their heads now and then that are the issue. Some of these are decision makers - I am sure you will understand teh impact of this.


  22. #101
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    39,842
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Michael Vaughan, an ashes winning captain but a racist. Sad way to disgrace yourself

  23. #102
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    911
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    Sorry i actually linked the wrong article, this is the correct one.

    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ni-player.html
    Thanks! That shines more light on it. Great to hear RNH is willing to provide evidence if he is called upon. This is quite damning. It's quite sad how Adil Rashid has yet to speak on the matte as he is a current England player and I hope he is not looking out for himself and his career at this stage.

    Either way, this is becoming more and more damning of cricketing culture at YCCC and beyond.

  24. #103
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,730
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    Where did i say that? Dont put your words in my mouth. I said that azeems case is of opporunity.

    I said above im sure it happens but its clearly not institutional. Get rid of the old brass and bring in new faces..
    On what basis can you say it’s not institutional? If I’m facing an issue that is the same as lots of other posters on this forum, and the same as a number of professional cricketers - with the constant theme being English cricket - how is that not institutional?

  25. #104
    Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    4,659
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vaughan along with Botham have always been closet racists, but "too many of you lots" isn't that offensive and to come out and cry about it 11 years later... please

    have some ....s and you should have come out back then and mentjoned it

  26. #105
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    738
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    20-30 comments doesnt equate to the UK white Population.. whoch is like 45-50mill

    Dont make a generalization when it comes to this issue. Because thats not the case..

    Literally grains in the desert
    Sir-Fraz
    You are not getting the point. This is basic school statistics. Yes 20-30 comments do not equate the whole UK. However, a lot of surveys are based on analysing much smaller sets of data. The main point is - there were hardly any posts supporting the victims in this case. This is still significant. The mail has a large online readership. Seriously - you are talking about something you don't have experience or knowledge about in this case. You are trying to trivialise this.

  27. #106
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    4,591
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Rashid kiboshed Rashid’s test career by bowling a four-ball every test over.

    Let’s see some perspective here. Who was the last effective England leggie? Johnny Wardle in the fifties?
    So the tour to India never happened?. Pfft

    P**I was used by far-right towards all South Asians and is equivalent to N word. That said, Indians have been biggest victims of it apparently
    Last edited by SpiritOf1903; 5th November 2021 at 20:13.

  28. #107
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    738
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have already mentioned that I am not fully comfortable with how Azeem has played this. But to suggest he is not a victim, however much he was at fault, is showing naivety and ignorance.

    Mr Vaughan's media career is likely to be curtailed.

    And non-UK Pakistanis - please do not comment on how racism works in the UK!
    Last edited by The Googly; 5th November 2021 at 20:18.

  29. #108
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    39,934
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RE: Michael Vaughan. I think the remark in front of Azeem Rafiq/others about Kane Williamson being able to bowl spin was more clumsy and rude, perhaps unprofessional and inadvertently belittling, than actually racist. But the one to the group of players on the field is looking very bad for the ex England captain, particularly because it was witnessed and has been testified to. It was a racist comment, no question. Vaughan’s busy media career could be about to start drying out.

  30. #109
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    911
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    RE: Michael Vaughan. I think the remark in front of Azeem Rafiq/others about Kane Williamson being able to bowl spin was more clumsy and rude, perhaps unprofessional and inadvertently belittling, than actually racist. But the one to the group of players on the field is looking very bad for the ex England captain, particularly because it was witnessed and has been testified to. It was a racist comment, no question. Vaughan’s busy media career could be about to start drying out.
    I believe Azeem's complaint covers a wide range of bullying and the comment about Williamson, i.e. degrading Azeem's role in the team could be taken as bullying, regardless of race.

    However, you are correct, Vaughan's comments on the field, surrounded by 3 asian players is seemingly the more serious allegation, currently being backed up by former Pakistan international Rana Naveed. The question is if the ECB is going to have Vaughan questioned? He was pretty clever in pulling himself away from the YCCC investigation and what of the Parliamentary committee?

    Vaughan should be questioned by all and the BBC should suspend him until investigations are complete.

  31. #110
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    4,591
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever happened with the Employment Tribunal; I assumed it would be stricken or upheld but is it still ongoing ?. No published decisions available regarding it.

  32. #111
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,636
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)








    Last edited by MenInG; 5th November 2021 at 21:45.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  33. #112
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    22,683
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This Michael Vaughan has hardly helped his case by tweeting like a maniac for the better part of a decade.

    Guilty until proven innocent in most people's minds I'm sure.


    Have some Sehwag in your life.

  34. #113
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    25,695
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post
    On what basis can you say it’s not institutional? If I’m facing an issue that is the same as lots of other posters on this forum, and the same as a number of professional cricketers - with the constant theme being English cricket - how is that not institutional?
    Ignore this guy concentrate on the topic. He's just here to distracted from this very serious issue.

    Coming onto the topic at hand. Vaughan is a racist. He's actually the worst kind. A racist who says he's not and probably thinks he isn't. But he is. This is what many of us face in organisations and interviews. The smiling racist who says he's your fan but then promotes someone who is useless above you just because they are mates or has been sponsored. Yes look up sponsorship and networking in big organisations.

    Finally fir thise with more brains than the resident loud mouth please read a study by the Nuffield Centre at Oxford University that showed that discrimination in the job market in the UK is unchanged since 1962.

    And if your still not convinced we have a massive problem just look at the prime minister..

  35. #114
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    25,695
    Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    RE: Michael Vaughan. I think the remark in front of Azeem Rafiq/others about Kane Williamson being able to bowl spin was more clumsy and rude, perhaps unprofessional and inadvertently belittling, than actually racist. But the one to the group of players on the field is looking very bad for the ex England captain, particularly because it was witnessed and has been testified to. It was a racist comment, no question. Vaughan’s busy media career could be about to start drying out.
    I think it has to be seen within context. Rafiq is already feeling a certain way. He knows he's being discriminated against and then this is added to it..

    In bullying tribunals you merely have to show evidence of how it made you feel as long as it fits an overall pattern of behaviour. I suggest people on here go on the ACAS website and type in bullying. Half the people on here will have been bullied according to that definition. Some of you don't even know your being discriminated against..

  36. #115
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    39,934
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    I think it has to be seen within context. Rafiq is already feeling a certain way. He knows he's being discriminated against and then this is added to it..

    In bullying tribunals you merely have to show evidence of how it made you feel as long as it fits an overall pattern of behaviour. I suggest people on here go on the ACAS website and type in bullying. Half the people on here will have been bullied according to that definition. Some of you don't even know your being discriminated against..
    Very fair points.
    I think the chickens are going to come home to roost in a big way now for Michael Vaughan.

    Away from Yorkshire for a moment, one observation I would like to add is that the England team itself really seems to have sorted itself out with regards to issues with race and discrimination, and is a genuinely multiracial and multiethnic setup which demonstrates a strong team spirit and so is having considerable unified success, particularly in the limited overs formats.

    The players take a public stand against racism, will challenge the wrong behaviours, and the ECB will punish wrongdoing. I also think there would be unanimous support from the England squad and management if, for example, a player publicly came out as LGBT. Not to say that things are perfect — far from it — but nevertheless there has been a notable improvement since the Vaughan days 15 years ago.

    The outstanding issues of prejudice in English cricket seem to be lower down in the pyramid — local, regional, county. This is where there is so much work to do. Not just at Yorkshire. (This state of affairs across the lower/mid structure will of course indirectly be affecting England selection in the longer term, in a way that Joe Root and Chris Silverwood would not at all condone; but they would also not be aware of this…)

  37. #116
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,287
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    This Michael Vaughan has hardly helped his case by tweeting like a maniac for the better part of a decade.

    Guilty until proven innocent in most people's minds I'm sure.
    Doesn't help when he tweets like one tbh.

    Like asking Moeen to go up to muslims he doesn't know and question them if they're terrorists.

  38. #117
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,636
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Former England cricket captain Michael Vaughan will not appear as presenter on Radio 5 Live’s Tuffers and Vaughan Show on Monday due to racism allegations, the BBC has said.

    The BBC has said it "takes any allegations of racism extremely seriously" and added in a statement: "The allegation against Michael Vaughan pre-dates his time working for the BBC, we were not part of the investigation conducted by Yorkshire County Cricket Club and we have had no access to the subsequent report. However, we were made aware of a single allegation which Michael strongly denies and we have been monitoring the situation closely.

    "The show focuses on topical discussion around current cricketing matters and given his personal involvement, we need to ensure we maintain the impartiality of the programme. We remain in discussion with Michael and his team."

    Vaughan has "completely and categorically" denied allegations he was racist towards Azeem Rafiq and his other Asian Yorkshire team-mates over a decade ago - a claim contained in an official investigation into Yorkshire Cricket Club.

    SKY


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  39. #118
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    728
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I was critical of rafiq I now think there is a genuine case of abuse against the poor guy

    The horrible stories are now coming out at Yorkshire including the urinating on a players head and a prayer mat being used to clean menstrual blood .

    This is shocking

  40. #119
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    85,799
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Interesting conversation with Rana Naved earlier.

    He was adamant that Vaughan said what he is now denying.

    This could get ugly for Vaughan if the accusation is found to be true.



  41. #120
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    5,946
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Interesting conversation with Rana Naved earlier.

    He was adamant that Vaughan said what he is now denying.

    This could get ugly for Vaughan if the accusation is found to be true.
    Sad it wasn't taped cos it will be a case of his word against others which won't stand up from a legal point of view.

  42. #121
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    32,534
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Vaughan says he won’t be recording his BBC Radio show this week.

  43. #122
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    22,683
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    Doesn't help when he tweets like one tbh.

    Like asking Moeen to go up to muslims he doesn't know and question them if they're terrorists.
    And funnily Mr. 7-tweets a day has gone into radio silence for now. He's waiting for it to blow over I suppose, but a punishment should first happen.


    Have some Sehwag in your life.

  44. #123
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    39,934
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Sad it wasn't taped cos it will be a case of his word against others which won't stand up from a legal point of view.
    If multiple witnesses corroborate the same story and testify against Vaughan, that would suffice as proof.

  45. #124
    Debut
    Oct 2021
    Venue
    Nagpur
    Runs
    241
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank god.
    Finally we can get rid of his unfunny, biased, illogical tweets.
    😂

  46. #125
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    6,597
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    Vaughan is a right wing conservative when it comes to politics and many of his views fall on the "questionable" spectrum.

    Players like Vaughan, Mark Waugh, etc., may not be outright racists, but a lot of their views would come under casual racism.
    And this is the problem. Who defines casual racism? The woke left? Proper racism as per definition is to discriminate based on race. Calling someone the P or N word is a racist slur but not actual racism as there's no discrimination.

    What irks me is that black rap artists use the N word all the time and it SELLS records, and Asians are guilty of racist slurs too - in fact I would go as far as saying Asian are more racists based on annecdotel evidence.

    It is a misconception that only whites can be racist.

  47. #126
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    3,000
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I can play devil's advocate here, perhaps MV meant it in a banter-y way. For instance, if you had 3 visting aussies playing with Yorkshire for the summer and Vaughan said 'too many of you lot here', it would normally be construed as bit of ashes banter and giggles.

    Maybe he meant it in the same clumsy vein but it played out differently because it involved pakistanis and was seen in the context of BNP and EDL rise.


    ..

  48. #127
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    6,597
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Sad it wasn't taped cos it will be a case of his word against others which won't stand up from a legal point of view.
    Audio recordings are not sumissible as evidence in UK courts to prove guilt however audio recordings can be used to provide defense.

  49. #128
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    7,983
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Saw Technics post by mistake but man this guy is hilarious:

    -Supports the Tories with a nutter as PM who has made trash comments about Muslims, who's party is full of Islamophobes
    -Supports Trump - who has emboldened racist filth all over the world
    -Now is arguing against discrimination against Pakistanis

    And this guy purports to be the defender of Islam
    @topspin, this is what I call the mask slipping time to time. Either that or this guy is 14
    Last edited by Pakpak; 6th November 2021 at 00:31.

  50. #129
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    476
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    No way, did he actually say this?!
    He did indeed. Obviously he has deleted the tweet now. It was after the tragic Manchester concert bombings in 2017. But basically saying Moeen Ali should do more in fight against terrorism. Predictably he blocked me on Twitter after I criticized him for this.

    Here it is:

    Last edited by MenInG; 6th November 2021 at 00:57.

  51. #130
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    4,700
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It's sad our youngsters have to go through this. When you are trying to make friends and shape a career, it can be very demotivating. There are many ways to have banter without introducing religion or race.

  52. #131
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    4,591
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    And this is the problem. Who defines casual racism? The woke left? Proper racism as per definition is to discriminate based on race. Calling someone the P or N word is a racist slur but not actual racism as there's no discrimination.

    What irks me is that black rap artists use the N word all the time and it SELLS records, and Asians are guilty of racist slurs too - in fact I would go as far as saying Asian are more racists based on annecdotel evidence.

    It is a misconception that only whites can be racist.
    Straw man much.

  53. #132
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    85,799
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Sad it wasn't taped cos it will be a case of his word against others which won't stand up from a legal point of view.
    Impossible for cricketers to tape something on the field.

    Key figures here could be Adil Rashid and Ajmal Shehzad.



  54. #133
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    7,661
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RexRex View Post
    If I can play devil's advocate here, perhaps MV meant it in a banter-y way. For instance, if you had 3 visting aussies playing with Yorkshire for the summer and Vaughan said 'too many of you lot here', it would normally be construed as bit of ashes banter and giggles.

    Maybe he meant it in the same clumsy vein but it played out differently because it involved pakistanis and was seen in the context of BNP and EDL rise.
    agree with that, but u also have to take into context the humour of the people ur talking to, also you have to assume that the guys involved would have been able to deduce from the tone if it was a joke or not.

    in isolation none of these incidences is that big, the problem for yorkshire and those involved is that there is a whole string of incidences and supposedly evidence no one cared when the issues were raised, which makes it an institutional problem.

  55. #134
    Debut
    Mar 2005
    Runs
    1,575
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RexRex View Post
    If I can play devil's advocate here, perhaps MV meant it in a banter-y way. For instance, if you had 3 visting aussies playing with Yorkshire for the summer and Vaughan said 'too many of you lot here', it would normally be construed as bit of ashes banter and giggles.

    Maybe he meant it in the same clumsy vein but it played out differently because it involved pakistanis and was seen in the context of BNP and EDL rise.
    not comparable, 2 of the 3 were English domestic players only Naved was the foreigner.

  56. #135
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    6,597
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOf1903 View Post
    Straw man much.
    You must be from the woke left.

    I defy you to counter my points.

  57. #136
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RexRex View Post
    If I can play devil's advocate here, perhaps MV meant it in a banter-y way. For instance, if you had 3 visting aussies playing with Yorkshire for the summer and Vaughan said 'too many of you lot here', it would normally be construed as bit of ashes banter and giggles.

    Maybe he meant it in the same clumsy vein but it played out differently because it involved pakistanis and was seen in the context of BNP and EDL rise.
    Yes but he categorically denies having said that.
    He couldve said he doesnt remember but he didn’t.
    And rana now testifies.
    Plus he advocated the spin bowling of williamson over rafa.

    Im not saying that MV has made any graveyard errors, but his goose is out.

  58. #137
    Debut
    Jan 2007
    Runs
    13,811
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    RE: Michael Vaughan. I think the remark in front of Azeem Rafiq/others about Kane Williamson being able to bowl spin was more clumsy and rude, perhaps unprofessional and inadvertently belittling, than actually racist. But the one to the group of players on the field is looking very bad for the ex England captain, particularly because it was witnessed and has been testified to. It was a racist comment, no question. VaughanÂ’s busy media career could be about to start drying out.
    There's plenty of demand for famous celebrities to come and give after dinner speeches for large amounts of money. Vaughan will have plenty of supporters and sympathisers to ensure that he continues making a lucrative living on the after dinner speech circuit.


    “In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule”

  59. #138
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    12,755
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always felt that Yorkshire Cricket Club is institutionally racist. I was not at all surprised when Azeem accused them so openly about being racist towards him. Yorkshire appear to be a club unwilling to change with time. They still have that racist kind of image and feeling that one would associate with the 1960's and 70's era using racial slurs then pretending they did not know such terms were offensive. I much prefer the likes of Surrey, Lancashire , Middlesex and Somerset to this very racist club. From the old days even the likes of Freddie Trueman seemed very racist to me.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  60. #139
    Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    476
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Ollie Robinson will have a wry smile to himself tonight. Vaughan came out heavy against Robinson's offensive tweets when he was a teenager.

    But Mr Vaughan, you cannot really delete anything off the internet these days.

  61. #140
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    39,842
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Why did Rana Naveed choose to stay silent all these years? Why has he come out now after what like 10-12 years?

  62. #141
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    3,000
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irfan View Post
    not comparable, 2 of the 3 were English domestic players only Naved was the foreigner.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElRaja View Post
    agree with that, but u also have to take into context the humour of the people ur talking to, also you have to assume that the guys involved would have been able to deduce from the tone if it was a joke or not..
    Adil Rashid and Ajmal Shahzad did deduce humour from the tone .. which is why they they haven't come out and said anything. The two freshies to England, Rana and Azeem, took it literally and got offended.


    ..

  63. #142
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    6,597
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Why did Rana Naveed choose to stay silent all these years? Why has he come out now after what like 10-12 years?
    #Me Too

  64. #143
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    3,000
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drubwrubnat View Post
    Yes but he categorically denies having said that.
    He couldve said he doesnt remember but he didn’t.
    And rana now testifies..
    He has chosen to deny it out of panic, after seeing the fallout of the other incidents with Gary Balance and the p-word. Easier to say he didn't say it rather than convincing people who are already gunning for him, that he was joking in 2009.


    ..

  65. #144
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RexRex View Post
    He has chosen to deny it out of panic, after seeing the fallout of the other incidents with Gary Balance and the p-word. Easier to say he didn't say it rather than convincing people who are already gunning for him, that he was joking in 2009.

    Well but he failed to have the common sense of having plausible deniability.
    Now the others have testified then where does it leave him …

    And where does it leave you trying to advocate for him?

  66. #145
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    85,799
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Why did Rana Naveed choose to stay silent all these years? Why has he come out now after what like 10-12 years?
    Read the interview I did with him where he mentions this and why he kept quiet.



  67. #146
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    14,296
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Why did Rana Naveed choose to stay silent all these years? Why has he come out now after what like 10-12 years?
    He will be in demand from pak media after this.

  68. #147
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    911
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People question why some of this is coming out years later have little or no knowledge of what it's like to face discrimination. When you are a young man trying to make your way, start a career, earn some money....yes money, that thing we all need, in a society like Britain where institutional racism has been investigated and highlighted and proven every year since 2001, it is extremely difficult to speak out on such issues.

    Loss of earnings, loss of credibility, loss of career are all factors. Look at the hard Road Azeem has already had to face in the so called more enlightened era we live in. He has reported several instances to YCCC since 2018, we are now 3 years later, people still doubt his stories, his former employer claims it was banter, a former England captain who is one of the most influential men in cricket in recent times is one who stands accused and blatantly denies in the face of incoming evidence, will he ever stand trial? Will he be questioned? YCCC has already appointed a brown faced stooge in hopes of easing the story, although nothing major has changed at the club. The ECB claims to be taking a stance but all they've done is hinted at the possibility of stopping Headingley from hosting one solitary test next year. Even now Azeem is fighting an up hill battle against the entire establishment looking to placate with headlines rather than actions, rather than justice.

    And you ask why they didn't come forward sooner.

  69. #148
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    34,133
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salma_T View Post
    Generations of British Pakistanis have been subjected to racist taunts of being called p*** or many older relatives have been subjected to P*** bashing....so sorry if we are emotional about! I find that Pakstani from outside the UK just don't get it!
    Most of them are immigrants, they don't see themselves as equal anyway. For many of them, they are just grateful to have a place in western society, it seems absurd for them to be anything but grateful, they will accept minor racist jibes as a privilege.

    Not all of them are like this mind you, Azeem himself was an immigrant I believe but one who wasn't happy to be given second class status.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  70. #149
    Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    7,265
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Very fair points.
    I think the chickens are going to come home to roost in a big way now for Michael Vaughan.

    Away from Yorkshire for a moment, one observation I would like to add is that the England team itself really seems to have sorted itself out with regards to issues with race and discrimination, and is a genuinely multiracial and multiethnic setup which demonstrates a strong team spirit and so is having considerable unified success, particularly in the limited overs formats.

    The players take a public stand against racism, will challenge the wrong behaviours, and the ECB will punish wrongdoing. I also think there would be unanimous support from the England squad and management if, for example, a player publicly came out as LGBT. Not to say that things are perfect — far from it — but nevertheless there has been a notable improvement since the Vaughan days 15 years ago.

    The outstanding issues of prejudice in English cricket seem to be lower down in the pyramid — local, regional, county. This is where there is so much work to do. Not just at Yorkshire. (This state of affairs across the lower/mid structure will of course indirectly be affecting England selection in the longer term, in a way that Joe Root and Chris Silverwood would not at all condone; but they would also not be aware of this…)
    Really? I seem to remember not long ago, some tweets came out where Jos Butler and Eoin Morgan, literally the team leadership, we’re openly mocking Indians for the way they speak: https://inews.co.uk/sport/cricket/ja...ed-1042390/amp

    How about when Moeen was made a scapegoat in India, when he came home after a test match, when England’s rotation policy meant that several white players were also being rotated, without any “talk”?

    If you mean that the England set up talks a good game then yes, superficially they do. But if this is what they deem acceptable to put out to the world on twitter, one can only imagine what happens behind closed doors.
    Last edited by Usman; 6th November 2021 at 03:51.

  71. #150
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    3,000
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drubwrubnat View Post
    Well but he failed to have the common sense of having plausible deniability.
    Now the others have testified then where does it leave him …

    And where does it leave you trying to advocate for him?

    We can agree that he didn't have common sense of checking deniability.

    But the main point stands; for him to say 'too many of you lot', there is no grey areas there .. he either had to be a) a hideous racist OR b) misplaced banter

    The latter seems more likely to me.


    ..

  72. #151
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    34,133
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RexRex View Post
    If I can play devil's advocate here, perhaps MV meant it in a banter-y way. For instance, if you had 3 visting aussies playing with Yorkshire for the summer and Vaughan said 'too many of you lot here', it would normally be construed as bit of ashes banter and giggles.

    Maybe he meant it in the same clumsy vein but it played out differently because it involved pakistanis and was seen in the context of BNP and EDL rise.
    Banter between Aussies and Brits is not really the same though is it? Culturally and ideologically Aussies and Brits are the same family. A better comparison would be banter between a Pakistani and a hindu minority player in the Pakistan domestic competition. Would you still consider it banter then?


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  73. #152
    Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    4,172
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Breaking News:

    In a totally unrelated development, BBC has announced the launch of a new Radio 5 live program called The Tuffers and Not Vaughan Show.


    I’ll get me coat.

  74. #153
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    32,534
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    And this is the problem. Who defines casual racism? The woke left? Proper racism as per definition is to discriminate based on race. Calling someone the P or N word is a racist slur but not actual racism as there's no discrimination.

    What irks me is that black rap artists use the N word all the time and it SELLS records, and Asians are guilty of racist slurs too - in fact I would go as far as saying Asian are more racists based on annecdotel evidence.

    It is a misconception that only whites can be racist.
    “Woke” is a term coined by a Muslim - Malcolm X - to mean awareness and understanding of structural racism in history and the present.

    Unsure how a racist slur is not racism. The term is designed to belittle - to put someone in second place, to assert power. Asians cannot do that in the UK as they are not the racial majority. Though if I went to live in I sis or Pakistan I could be subjected to racism there as I would be the minority.

  75. #154
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    3,000
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Banter between Aussies and Brits is not really the same though is it?
    That's my point. A more enlightened and politically correct Brit, like Andrew Strauss or Atherton, would know the context of words, banter or not, and when to use them keeping in mind the immigration history of south asians and how they were historically treated in the UK.

    In contrast, a plain speaking yob like Vaughan would just speak to a Pakistani in the the same manner he would to an Aussie. This is not necessarily racism but typical of the blunt outgoing personalities from Yorkshire like Boycott or Botham, who just call it as they see it.
    Last edited by RexRex; 6th November 2021 at 11:26.


    ..

  76. #155
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    39,934
    Mentioned
    358 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RexRex View Post
    In contrast, a plain speaking yob like Vaughan would just speak to a Pakistani in the the same manner he would to an Aussie. This is not necessarily racism but typical of the blunt outgoing personalities from Yorkshire like Boycott or Botham, who just call it as they see it.
    Interesting that you mention those three names together. The game is changing. Vaughan is starting to lose his media engagements already, and Boycott isn’t permitted to broadcast on Cricinfo or BBC any longer. Botham also seems to have been taken off the TV and thus is pursuing a political career.

  77. #156
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    6,597
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    “Woke” is a term coined by a Muslim - Malcolm X - to mean awareness and understanding of structural racism in history and the present.

    Unsure how a racist slur is not racism. The term is designed to belittle - to put someone in second place, to assert power. Asians cannot do that in the UK as they are not the racial majority. Though if I went to live in I sis or Pakistan I could be subjected to racism there as I would be the minority.
    The definition and application of woke has changed much in the same way the definition and application of racism has changed.

    The N word is considered a racist slur when whites use it but not a racist slur when the black community have no problem in refering to each other using the N Word and rappers selling records alike.

    It's all about perspective.

  78. #157
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    32,534
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Interesting that you mention those three names together. The game is changing. Vaughan is starting to lose his media engagements already, and Boycott isn’t permitted to broadcast on Cricinfo or BBC any longer. Botham also seems to have been taken off the TV and thus is pursuing a political career.
    Boikz is pretty old though.

    Botham never brought much in terms of insightful commentary - he was really there to attract my generation of punters, but he stopped playing nearly three decades ago and younger fans won’t be familiar with him.

  79. #158
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    32,534
    Mentioned
    1142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    The definition and application of woke has changed much in the same way the definition and application of racism has changed.

    The N word is considered a racist slur when whites use it but not a racist slur when the black community have no problem in refering to each other using the N Word and rappers selling records alike.

    It's all about perspective.
    “Woke” has become an insult delivered at people who empathise with others, by people who don’t care and don’t understand why others do. See also “virtue signalling” and “social justice warrior”.

    Black people who use the N-word use it to desensitise, to take away its power to hurt. Occasionally I challenge youngsters who use it with “Do you know how many people - black and white - died so that white people would stop calling you that?”

    Racism is always about expression of power by the dominator race/culture over whatever race/culture it considers lesser.

  80. #159
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    6,597
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    “Woke” has become an insult delivered at people who empathise with others, by people who don’t care and don’t understand why others do. See also “virtue signalling” and “social justice warrior”.

    Black people who use the N-word use it to desensitise, to take away its power to hurt. Occasionally I challenge youngsters who use it with “Do you know how many people - black and white - died so that white people would stop calling you that?”

    Racism is always about expression of power by the dominator race/culture over whatever race/culture it considers lesser.
    A good example of wokeness gone mad is where someone doesn’t agree with a view and is labelled racist/myoginist etc, or where wokeness leads to cancel culture.

    I like the way you say blacks use the N word to desensitise (I disagree) but this wasn’t my point, the N word between blacks isn’t deemed racist, but is deemed racist between white and black. Going back to MV’s alleged comments, had he said it to white Scottish/Irish players then I doubt there’d be much of a hoo haa.

    Racism is more to do with superiority over another race than anything else; expression of power can be viewed within a particular race doesn’t mean it’s racist.

  81. #160
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    Port Isaac
    Runs
    4,591
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boycott tweeted in support of Rafiq and Botham was old school. Met Beefy a few times and he's a stand up guy...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •