Pakistan flags used during practice - Unnecessary jingoism or harmless display of national pride?


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 194
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,636
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

    Pakistan flags used during practice - Unnecessary jingoism or harmless display of national pride?




    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    34,058
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apparently it’s a mental focus strategy by Ramiz so that the players can remember who they are representing when training.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    2,882
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why there is flag issue accure firstly. Pakistan can do whatever they wanted to do at practice time. Useless propaganda

  4. #4
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,636
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Just so people don't waste posting links to dubious articles which quote supposed Bangladesh fans complaining about it, there are no confirmed reports and its not being reported in BD papers also.

    So please dont add any such links.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  5. #5
    Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    496
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No issue here. If anyone does see an issue then they are wrong, simple as that.

  6. Google Ad Manager-
  7. #6
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    1,240
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is this such an issue? I'm suprised

  8. #7
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    16,187
    Mentioned
    1039 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have an issue with the hand on heart during national anthem.

    That is unnecessary, we dont do that in our national anthem


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  9. #8
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,287
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    I have an issue with the hand on heart during national anthem.

    That is unnecessary, we dont do that in our national anthem
    I've always thought about this during our respective national anthems in cricket matches. We are taught to stand upright at attention when the Indian national anthem is being played.

    Whereas the Pakistani players had a more emotional connection to their anthem being played with them placing the hand on their hearts. I assumed perhaps it is the standard practice in Pakistan with Pakistanis placing their hands on their hearts when their national anthem is being played.

  10. #9
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,287
    Mentioned
    367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This is a complete non issue. I was surprised at first during the Indo-Pak match and perhaps it is what made them play with such passion and a great body language.

  11. #10
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    29,924
    Mentioned
    4757 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    I've always thought about this during our respective national anthems in cricket matches. We are taught to stand upright at attention when the Indian national anthem is being played.

    Whereas the Pakistani players had a more emotional connection to their anthem being played with them placing the hand on their hearts. I assumed perhaps it is the standard practice in Pakistan with Pakistanis placing their hands on their hearts when their national anthem is being played.
    I wouldn’t think it’s a standard practice, in military school for me briefly it was either as you say standing upright , I can’t remember completely but may have had hands behind the back to but never had a hand on the heart that’s for sure. With the cricketers maybe it’s a matter of preference

  12. #11
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    94,693
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Ramiz Raja’s tenure is all about PR.

    He clearly knows how vulnerable, emotional and delusional our awaam is. He knows exactly what to do to become the most loved and popular PCB chairman ever.

    Each and every word, statement and action that he has performed has been clearly planned and devised. It is all about him.

    In spite of all the theatrics and the dramaybaazi, he is still far better than Mani/Wasim so perhaps there is no reason to complain.

  13. #12
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    12,755
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see the issue unless it is against the ICC rules. Pak is not stopping other countries from erecting their flag during practise sessions.


    PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

  14. #13
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    94,693
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    It was a cringefest yesterday as Pakistanis were distributing mithai on social media because Ramiz’s “this is Pakistan’s press” statement.

    For someone who doesn’t know the context, he was being escorted by some officials in Dubai and they weren’t letting him speak to the Pakistani media, so he stated with a lot of passion and pride that he be allowed some time to address the questions of the Pakistani journalists.

    He knew exactly how his statement would be perceived in the Pakistani media and how our people would react. He knows our mentality like the back of his hand. The reaction on social media served his purpose.

  15. #14
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    3,234
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It was a cringefest yesterday as Pakistanis were distributing mithai on social media because Ramiz’s “this is Pakistan’s press” statement.

    For someone who doesn’t know the context, he was being escorted by some officials in Dubai and they weren’t letting him speak to the Pakistani media, so he stated with a lot of passion and pride that he be allowed some time to address the questions of the Pakistani journalists.

    He knew exactly how his statement would be perceived in the Pakistani media and how our people would react. He knows our mentality like the back of his hand. The reaction on social media served his purpose.
    Whatever it is but dont you think Rameez's PR antics has somehow sparked a new life in Pak cricket team and hence the spirited performance in world cup? I mean the team was looking down and out few months ago under Misbah/Waqar. From there to reach semi finals of a world cup unbeaten should deserve the credit?

    Or are we saying those performances were due to toss only and Rameez just happen to become the chairman?

  16. #15
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    94,693
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    Whatever it is but dont you think Rameez's PR antics has somehow sparked a new life in Pak cricket team and hence the spirited performance in world cup? I mean the team was looking down and out few months ago under Misbah/Waqar. From there to reach semi finals of a world cup unbeaten should deserve the credit?

    Or are we saying those performances were due to toss only and Rameez just happen to become the chairman?
    Of course those performances were due to toss only. Pakistan would have been eliminated in the group stage had the coin landed on the opposite side against India and New Zealand.

    If we are giving credit to Ramiz, then we should give even greater credit to Sethi under whose tenure Pakistan won the Champions Trophy.

    Normal business will resume soon. Pakistan is an average team and will continue to produce average results like it has in the past. This euphoria surrounding the WT20 performance will end soon. A lot of mediocre players like Asif and Rauf will be back in their elements soon.

    Ramiz though doesn’t care about what happens on the field because as long as his PR game and theatrics stay strong, his job is safe.

  17. #16
    Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    790
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Of course those performances were due to toss only. Pakistan would have been eliminated in the group stage had the coin landed on the opposite side against India and New Zealand.

    Not Pakistan's fault.....if some of the GoATs and IPL legends can't hold a bat after losing the toss.

  18. #17
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    62
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Of course those performances were due to toss only. Pakistan would have been eliminated in the group stage had the coin landed on the opposite side against India and New Zealand.

    If we are giving credit to Ramiz, then we should give even greater credit to Sethi under whose tenure Pakistan won the Champions Trophy.

    Normal business will resume soon. Pakistan is an average team and will continue to produce average results like it has in the past. This euphoria surrounding the WT20 performance will end soon. A lot of mediocre players like Asif and Rauf will be back in their elements soon.

    Ramiz though doesn’t care about what happens on the field because as long as his PR game and theatrics stay strong, his job is safe.
    This guy is just here to spread hate and negativity here

  19. #18
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    7,532
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah9425 View Post
    This guy is just here to spread hate and negativity here
    He would only be happy if nawaz shareef becomes PM, Zardari president, Maryam as Head of personal Qatari love affairs and Shehbaz Shareef as PCB chairman.

  20. #19
    Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    790
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    He would only be happy if nawaz shareef becomes PM, Zardari president, Maryam as Head of personal Qatari love affairs and Shehbaz Shareef as PCB chairman.
    Don't forget Najam Sethi

  21. #20
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    16,187
    Mentioned
    1039 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by street cricketer View Post
    I've always thought about this during our respective national anthems in cricket matches. We are taught to stand upright at attention when the Indian national anthem is being played.

    Whereas the Pakistani players had a more emotional connection to their anthem being played with them placing the hand on their hearts. I assumed perhaps it is the standard practice in Pakistan with Pakistanis placing their hands on their hearts when their national anthem is being played.
    Naaa. In our national anthem you just stand straight and when you reach the last sentence, you need to bow your head.

    These hand on heart are dumb gimmacks that our players do to show patriotism as they think by doing this they are howing love for the countryy...

    Its all dramaybazii.

    Umar akmal did this and now our whole squad did it in the world t20.

    Players like Misbah didnt do this because it is not in our national anthem. These additions are just ridiculous.


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~


  22. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    660
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More of a cultural thing in subcontinent. Remember Dhoni wearing army insignia on his gloves

    Pakistan cricket is more of daleri, jigara , nationalism, emotion

    Australia / NZ / England is more about hard training and professionalism. I personally feel Pakistan cricket should emulate Australian model more ( same for Indian cricket ). All this jingoism wont take you far

  23. #22
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    660
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes i also think Dhoni wearing army insignia or Kohli wearing army style caps as very cringeworthy

    The subcontinent needs to get rid of this jingoism and treat cricket as a sport. It will actually help us do better

  24. #23
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    16,187
    Mentioned
    1039 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    Whatever it is but dont you think Rameez's PR antics has somehow sparked a new life in Pak cricket team and hence the spirited performance in world cup? I mean the team was looking down and out few months ago under Misbah/Waqar. From there to reach semi finals of a world cup unbeaten should deserve the credit?

    Or are we saying those performances were due to toss only and Rameez just happen to become the chairman?
    No it has not sparked a new life in pakistan. This is just a myth we have which will get busted when he lose a few games.

    High spirited means nothing when you have a poor captain leading us who has no idea how to make strategies when under pressure


    "Life is Pain"
    ~House~

  25. #24
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,636
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The Pakistan cricket team should be sent back home for hoisting their national flag in defiance of protocol during their practice at a Dhaka stadium, said State Minister for Information Murad Hasan.

    The team, which is visiting Bangladesh to play a T20 series, took part in a practice at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur on Monday while carrying their national flag.

    Media reports drew attention to the incident and photos went viral on social media and led to a significant backlash.

    “I have nothing to say about the players on the Pakistan team,” Murad Hasan told reporters while visiting the bookstore of publisher Batighar in Chattogram on Tuesday.

    “But we can’t accept them hoisting the Pakistan flag during practice sessions. Especially at a time when we’re celebrating the birth centenary of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, when we’re celebrating the golden jubilee of our independence. I believe they should be sent back along with their flag,” he said.

    Bangladesh emerged as an independent country five decades ago after ending the oppressive rule of Pakistan through an armed struggle.
    “Our hearts wrench when we see the Pakistani flag. Why do they need the flag for a practice session? Is it drama or farce? This should not be allowed. We fought them and earned our independence through the blood of 3 million martyrs,” Hasan said.

    Highlighting Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s initiatives to elevate Bangladesh cricket to international standards, the state minister said that cricket teams from those countries well known on the international field can visit Bangladesh.

    “There’s no problem there,” he said.

    https://m.bdnews24.com/en/detail/cricket/1970731


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  26. #25
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    28,284
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NishanKonar View Post
    Yes i also think Dhoni wearing army insignia or Kohli wearing army style caps as very cringeworthy

    The subcontinent needs to get rid of this jingoism and treat cricket as a sport. It will actually help us do better
    Dhoni had an honorary rank in the Army( which shouldn't had been given but irrespective). It’s apples and oranges here.

  27. #26
    Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    496
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    The Pakistan cricket team should be sent back home for hoisting their national flag in defiance of protocol during their practice at a Dhaka stadium, said State Minister for Information Murad Hasan.

    The team, which is visiting Bangladesh to play a T20 series, took part in a practice at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Mirpur on Monday while carrying their national flag.

    Media reports drew attention to the incident and photos went viral on social media and led to a significant backlash.

    “I have nothing to say about the players on the Pakistan team,” Murad Hasan told reporters while visiting the bookstore of publisher Batighar in Chattogram on Tuesday.

    “But we can’t accept them hoisting the Pakistan flag during practice sessions. Especially at a time when we’re celebrating the birth centenary of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, when we’re celebrating the golden jubilee of our independence. I believe they should be sent back along with their flag,” he said.

    Bangladesh emerged as an independent country five decades ago after ending the oppressive rule of Pakistan through an armed struggle.
    “Our hearts wrench when we see the Pakistani flag. Why do they need the flag for a practice session? Is it drama or farce? This should not be allowed. We fought them and earned our independence through the blood of 3 million martyrs,” Hasan said.

    Highlighting Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina’s initiatives to elevate Bangladesh cricket to international standards, the state minister said that cricket teams from those countries well known on the international field can visit Bangladesh.

    “There’s no problem there,” he said.

    https://m.bdnews24.com/en/detail/cricket/1970731

    LOL. Ok, then, send the team home for putting a Pakistan flag up during practice

  28. #27
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    660
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Dhoni had an honorary rank in the Army( which shouldn't had been given but irrespective). It’s apples and oranges here.
    He can wear his insignia when he is on duty for army - not when he is on a cricket field

  29. #28
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    2,922
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Indian media ‘Times Now’ doing 5 minutes segments on this is just crazy, lol. They also had 2 of their journalists speak about it in Bangladesh🤦🏻*♂️ The obsession with Pakistan is beyond belief.

  30. #29
    Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    226
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what are the ground realities over BD, i dont want to rely on Indian media. maybe some BD ppers can tell this.

  31. #30
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan-Italia-Deutschland
    Runs
    7,283
    Mentioned
    1914 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Didn’t they hoist the flag in UAE as well? People need to move on really. Both sides are at fault m. These antics shouldn’t be promoted in sports

  32. #31
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    4,089
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It’s Indian media that made a big deal of this. All it is is national pride.

  33. #32
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    36,872
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    Indian media ‘Times Now’ doing 5 minutes segments on this is just crazy, lol. They also had 2 of their journalists speak about it in Bangladesh🤦🏻*♂️ The obsession with Pakistan is beyond belief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    what are the ground realities over BD, i dont want to rely on Indian media. maybe some BD ppers can tell this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoaibbtt View Post
    It’s Indian media that made a big deal of this. All it is is national pride.
    Read the posts atleast before commenting.

  34. #33
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    7,532
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Yes just sent us precious boys back.

  35. #34
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    2,922
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Read the posts atleast before commenting.
    What did I say that was incorrect?

  36. #35
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    4,089
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Read the posts atleast before commenting.
    I watched it Indian media made a big song and dance about this. They know it's a motivating tool that Pak have adopted, they are not declaring war.

  37. #36
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    1,448
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Dhoni had an honorary rank in the Army( which shouldn't had been given but irrespective). It’s apples and oranges here.
    Fakhar has honorary rank of captain in Pakistan Navy. Never seen him showing off anything about that on cricket field.

    This flags during practice is totally unnecessary jingoism and unprofessional. I mean other countries do not do it, but it does not mean that their players do not have any national pride. I suspect that this practice was directed by Imran Khan when the squad met with IK before world cup because only he can come up with such ideas like cornered tiger shirt and flags during practice.

  38. #37
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    2,922
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketerB94 View Post
    Fakhar has honorary rank of captain in Pakistan Navy. Never seen him showing off anything about that on cricket field.

    This flags during practice is totally unnecessary jingoism and unprofessional. I mean other countries do not do it, but it does not mean that their players do not have any national pride. I suspect that this practice was directed by Imran Khan when the squad met with IK before world cup because only he can come up with such ideas like cornered tiger shirt and flags during practice.
    Wrong, it has nothing to do with Imran Khan or Ramiz Raja.

    Saqlain Mushtaq used the flag when he was working in the NHPC, and once he became the coach he brought the flag with him.

  39. #38
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    7,532
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketerB94 View Post
    Fakhar has honorary rank of captain in Pakistan Navy. Never seen him showing off anything about that on cricket field.

    This flags during practice is totally unnecessary jingoism and unprofessional. I mean other countries do not do it, but it does not mean that their players do not have any national pride. I suspect that this practice was directed by Imran Khan when the squad met with IK before world cup because only he can come up with such ideas like cornered tiger shirt and flags during practice.
    Why are players aloud national flags on their outfits?

    Why is it unprofessional? Please elaborate?

  40. #39
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    1,448
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    Why are players aloud national flags on their outfits?

    Why is it unprofessional? Please elaborate?
    Please read the second sentence of second paragraph again.

    We are not discussing outfits, are we? The national flags are also shown in stadiums during matches or during advertisements, but that is not the point of this discussion. We are discussing a practice, which only Pakistan players and management do during practise sessions, and their explanation of that practice is that it develops national pride in the players. So the question arises that do the other country players play without national pride?

    In addition to that, doing it in Bangladesh is a more sensitive matter. I mean it was ok if it was limited to the world cup, but doing it in Bangladesh, knowing that they got independence from us and they will not take this thing lightly is even more unprofessional. Can the team management do this practice in India? A sane person would say no, because of the controversy it would create. So why do it anywhere else when its not needed and not a normal practice?

  41. #40
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    6,597
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL.

    It’s ok to sing a national anthem when it comes to WCs in various nations, but a fabric of cloth becomes a talking point?

    The best part of 2011 Mohali SF was the national anthem of Pakistan was sung on Indian soil.

    Move on.

  42. #41
    Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    1,448
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, the anthems are the protocols set by ICC and they should be enough to wake up the national pride in the players. You have to follow the protocols to be professional.

  43. #42
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    4,089
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketerB94 View Post
    Please read the second sentence of second paragraph again.

    We are not discussing outfits, are we? The national flags are also shown in stadiums during matches or during advertisements, but that is not the point of this discussion. We are discussing a practice, which only Pakistan players and management do during practise sessions, and their explanation of that practice is that it develops national pride in the players. So the question arises that do the other country players play without national pride?

    In addition to that, doing it in Bangladesh is a more sensitive matter. I mean it was ok if it was limited to the world cup, but doing it in Bangladesh, knowing that they got independence from us and they will not take this thing lightly is even more unprofessional. Can the team management do this practice in India? A sane person would say no, because of the controversy it would create. So why do it anywhere else when its not needed and not a normal practice?
    Pakistanis have deep respect for Bangladesh, the flag is not a representation in any form for Pakistan to say "this is our country", all it is is a motivational tool to inspire. If they feel that they wish to progress with this tradition, then so be it.

    This whole thing has been manipulated by the pathetic Indian media who still have a bee in their bonnet from Pakistan beating them in the WC and causing them to exit early.

    If tomorrow Bangladesh fly their flag in our grounds during practise then so be it. But as part of respect as well both flags are hoisted at the stadium during the games from what i've seen in the past.

    There is no reason whatsoever to be offended by this.

  44. #43
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,636
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Very rude of Bangladesh Minister.

    Its Pakistan's practice and they are flying their flag not outside the ground - but inside it and next to their nets.
    Last edited by MenInG; 17th November 2021 at 22:35.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  45. #44
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    16,986
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not seen any major outrage from Bangladeshis. Only a few were making a fuss.

    Based on what I have seen, it was Indian media that was trying to make this a big deal.

    I personally don't have any issue with a team hoisting their flag during training. It should be a non-issue.


    Bangladeshi Man

  46. #45
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    2,456
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure exactly how will this help players perform better in the actual matches?

    For example,
    Will posting the flag in net session, help Hassan Ali to shift his focus from his hairstyle to bringing back the sting in his bowling?

    Will posing the flag in net sessiion, make Asif Ali not get out on the first ball and keep on hitting sixes and sixes to cheer up the crowd?

    IMO
    It should've being done in the first place.

    There is absolutely NO use of it.
    You don't need a flag displayed this way in a practice session to prove your nationalism.
    I mean, WHY do you even need to prove your nationalism or send along these lines any such message to anyone? Why?

    And if you are truly itching and wanted to do it so bad, then show your nationalism in an actual game, where you drop crucial catches. How does the flag help you then?

    So again, they should've not done it in the first place, but now they cannot take it down as well, because it will then mean to submit your self proclaimed "pride" and your self proclaimed "display of nationalism" to someone else's pressure.

    Fazool ki controversy with no apparent benefit to Pakistan.

    If posting the flag in a net session would help in performing on the ground, then you should have one smaller version posted on your head during the game.

    Either way, they can't back off now. Funny catch 22 situation.
    No benefit to anyone. A totally useless act by Pak Think Tanks, and a totally unnecessary controversy created by some Bangladeshis as well. (who knows if India money is behind this controversy and twitter trend, you never know)
    Last edited by MenInG; 17th November 2021 at 22:35.

  47. #46
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    3,234
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    I have not seen any major outrage from Bangladeshis. Only a few were making a fuss.

    Based on what I have seen, it was Indian media that was trying to make this a big deal.

    I personally don't have any issue with a team hoisting their flag during training. It should be a non-issue.
    Your State Minister of Information Murad Hasan is having a problem. No one in Indian media is making any big deal about it. They are just reporting what your minister is saying. A BD-Pak series is too insignificant for Indian media to make big deal out of it.

    Its a non-issue and I agree with you on that though.

  48. #47
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    36,872
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    I have not seen any major outrage from Bangladeshis. Only a few were making a fuss.

    Based on what I have seen, it was Indian media that was trying to make this a big deal.

    I personally don't have any issue with a team hoisting their flag during training. It should be a non-issue.
    Is Murad Hassan a Indian minister or is a BD minister not a major personality?

  49. #48
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    16,986
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Is Murad Hassan a Indian minister or is a BD minister not a major personality?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    Your State Minister of Information Murad Hasan is having a problem. No one in Indian media is making any big deal about it. They are just reporting what your minister is saying. A BD-Pak series is too insignificant for Indian media to make big deal out of it.

    Its a non-issue and I agree with you on that though.
    Do you think all Bangladeshis subscribe to Awami League position? LOL.

    Also, by outrage, I meant public outrage. There is no serious public outrage in Bangladesh about this flag.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 17th November 2021 at 22:57.


    Bangladeshi Man

  50. #49
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,636
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    Your State Minister of Information Murad Hasan is having a problem. No one in Indian media is making any big deal about it. They are just reporting what your minister is saying. A BD-Pak series is too insignificant for Indian media to make big deal out of it.

    Its a non-issue and I agree with you on that though.
    Try and follow the story.

    It was made a big story by Indian media.

    Then picked up by a minister whose Govt is an ally with India.

    2+2.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  51. #50
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    4,089
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Very rude of Bangladesh Minister.

    Its Pakistan's practice and they are flying their flag not outside the ground - but inside it and next to their nets.
    Absolutely, I would encourage all other nations to do the same as part of national pride. If tomorrow Bangladesh hoists the flag in our neck of the woods, i will be happy with that no problem.

    The hoisting of the flag needs to be clarified to all these dumb people who are taking this as a declaration of land as oppose to just part of national pride.

  52. #51
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    16,986
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Try and follow the story.

    It was made a big story by Indian media.

    Then picked up by a minister whose Govt is an ally with India.

    2+2.
    I have only seen two Indian outlets reporting this. No major Bangladeshi outlet reported this as far as I know.

    Also, Indians on social media are more vocal about this than actual Bangladeshis. I found that funny.

    A handful of Bangladeshis may have an issue but vast majority don't seem to care.


    Bangladeshi Man

  53. #52
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    3,234
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Try and follow the story.

    It was made a big story by Indian media.

    Then picked up by a minister whose Govt is an ally with India.

    2+2.
    Bangladesh and Pakistan don't have a great history. Their minister may have picked the news from Indian media but he choose to comment on it bcoz he felt it was wrong to hoist Pak flag in BD due to past history and not bcoz his govt is an ally of India. Blaming India unfortunately is an easy excuse.

    I agree that its a non issue and Pakistan has all the right to do whatever they want in their practice session.

  54. #53
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    16,986
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    Bangladesh and Pakistan don't have a great history. Their minister may have picked the news from Indian media but he choose to comment on it bcoz he felt it was wrong to hoist Pak flag in BD due to past history and not bcoz his govt is an ally of India. Blaming India unfortunately is an easy excuse.

    I agree that its a non issue and Pakistan has all the right to do whatever they want in their practice session.
    Well, Awami League is allied with India. It is not really a secret.

    Sheikh Hasina fled to India when her family was assassinated by BD army. So, she (along with her party) has a soft spot for India perhaps.

    Also, even though Pak-BD relationship may not be strong at state level, there is no real friction between regular Pakistanis and Bangladeshis (majority of them).
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 17th November 2021 at 23:23.


    Bangladeshi Man

  55. #54
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Jammu and Kashmir
    Runs
    1,215
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indian media is a joke. Their obsession with Pakistan and Kashmir is everlasting.

  56. #55
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    3,234
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Well, Awami League is allied with India. It is not really a secret.

    Sheikh Hasina fled to India when her family was assassinated by BD army. So, she (along with her party) has a soft spot for India perhaps.

    Also, even though Pak-BD relationship may not be strong at state level, there is no real friction between regular Pakistanis and Bangladeshis (majority of them).
    Of course they will have a soft spot bcoz Indian govt & army helped Bangladesh getting independence and own country. But not sure what BD govt's good relation with India has anything to do with this topic unless you are saying your minister only choose to comment bcoz Indian media reported it just to appease Indian govt.

    Hilarious...how far people goes with agenda.

  57. #56
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    3,617
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems Indians are more triggered by this than Bangladeshis. Also, no issue with the flag, it's not a big deal unless it distracts players.

  58. #57
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    36,872
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Do you think all Bangladeshis subscribe to Awami League position? LOL.

    Also, by outrage, I meant public outrage. There is no serious public outrage in Bangladesh about this flag.
    Isnt Awami league the ruling party in BD? Wasnt Sheikh Mujibur Rahman the founder of BD and leader of the Awami league?

    So officially the BD govt seems to have issues.

  59. #58
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    36,872
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Well, Awami League is allied with India. It is not really a secret.

    Sheikh Hasina fled to India when her family was assassinated by BD army. So, she (along with her party) has a soft spot for India perhaps.

    Also, even though Pak-BD relationship may not be strong at state level, there is no real friction between regular Pakistanis and Bangladeshis (majority of them).
    Thing is Sheikh Hasina is the BD PM and the leader of that country. That matters.

  60. #59
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    16,986
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Isnt Awami league the ruling party in BD? Wasnt Sheikh Mujibur Rahman the founder of BD and leader of the Awami league?

    So officially the BD govt seems to have issues.
    Just because BD government does something or says something doesn't mean all people agree. LOL.

    Stop thinking all Bangladeshis agree with whatever Awami League does.


    Bangladeshi Man

  61. #60
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    5,404
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The state minister is probably trying to appeal to his anti-Pakistan constituency. Especially considering that he belongs to Awami League.

    From what I know people in Bangladesh are pretty divided on India and Pakistan. Some despise Pakistan because of 1971 and see India as a 'big brother'. Others detest India because of its hegemonic role in the region and constant meddling in Bangladesh's internal affairs, and are much softer on Pakistan.

    Not too long ago it was 50-50 or 45-55. I don't know what the situation is now that Awami League has made Bangladesh a one-party state. Our Bangladeshi brothers here can probably shed more light on the matter.

  62. #61
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    36,872
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Just because BD government does something or says something doesn't mean all people agree. LOL.

    Stop thinking all Bangladeshis agree with whatever Awami League does.
    All may not agree, all never agree to most things. Are you saying all disagree with the Awami league?

  63. #62
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    16,986
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    The state minister is probably trying to appeal to his anti-Pakistan constituency. Especially considering that he belongs to Awami League.

    From what I know people in Bangladesh are pretty divided on India and Pakistan. Some despise Pakistan because of 1971 and see India as a 'big brother'. Others detest India because of its hegemonic role in the region and constant meddling in Bangladesh's internal affairs, and are much softer on Pakistan.

    Not too long ago it was 50-50 or 45-55. I don't know what the situation is now that Awami League has made Bangladesh a one-party state. Our Bangladeshi brothers here can probably shed more light on the matter.
    I tell you one thing.

    Young Bangladeshis are not very pro-India. They are generally pro-Bangladesh with a softer spot for Pakistan (due to shared Muslim identity and also Indian transgression).

    It is mostly some of the oldies and Hindus who are pro-India.

    I say it is now 80-20. It was 50-50 before.


    Bangladeshi Man

  64. #63
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    16,986
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    All may not agree, all never agree to most things. Are you saying all disagree with the Awami league?
    You are trying to make this a very big deal just like many Indians on social media.

    Fact of the matter is, there is no real public outrage about this flag regardless of what one BD minister is saying.


    Bangladeshi Man

  65. #64
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    3,617
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    I tell you one thing.

    Young Bangladeshis are not very pro-India. They are generally pro-Bangladesh with a softer spot for Pakistan (due to shared Muslim identity and also Indian transgression).

    It is mostly some of the oldies and Hindus who are pro-India.

    I say it is now 80-20. It was 50-50 before.
    Is it because of the border killing by BSF and Teesta River thing? Those issues are decades old, what changed recently? I know Bangladeshis and Indians are extremely hostile to each other on social media.

  66. #65
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    36,872
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    You are trying to make this a very big deal just like many Indians on social media.

    Fact of the matter is, there is no real public outrage about this flag regardless of what one BD minister is saying.
    Yes, the minister is inconsequential.

  67. #66
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    16,986
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Gomes View Post
    Is it because of the border killing by BSF and Teesta River thing? Those issues are decades old, what changed recently? I know Bangladeshis and Indians are extremely hostile to each other on social media.
    Yes. Border killing and Teesta river definitely are factors.

    There are other factors too, such as rise of BJP, rise of anti-Islamic sentiment in India etc.


    Bangladeshi Man

  68. #67
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    36,872
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    I tell you one thing.

    Young Bangladeshis are not very pro-India. They are generally pro-Bangladesh with a softer spot for Pakistan (due to shared Muslim identity and also Indian transgression).

    It is mostly some of the oldies and Hindus who are pro-India.

    I say it is now 80-20. It was 50-50 before.
    Do 50 per cent Bangladeshis were pro pakistani? Yet they decided to get independence from pakistan?

  69. #68
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    162,636
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Do 50 per cent Bangladeshis were pro pakistani? Yet they decided to get independence from pakistan?
    I suggest you pipe down on this direction of argument.

    Stick to the topic.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  70. #69
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    5,404
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    I tell you one thing.

    Young Bangladeshis are not very pro-India. They are generally pro-Bangladesh with a softer spot for Pakistan (due to shared Muslim identity and also Indian transgression).

    It is mostly some of the oldies and Hindus who are pro-India.

    I say it is now 80-20. It was 50-50 before.
    Makes sense. I can't imagine Bangladeshis being happy with the one-sided relationship they have with India, especially as they become an emerging economy. Unless ofcourse they stand to benefit from it.

  71. #70
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    5,174
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying Pakistani flag in practice of the Pakistan cricket team has not been a matter of major reaction in Bangladesh so far. There are very few opportunistic people who thrives here in Bangladesh by drawing the 1971 war sentiment everywhere. Mr Murad is one of them. He is already a half minister (state minister) of controversy . He has no boundaries when he talks. He has become the victim of trolling in social media many times due to his nonsense talking. Noone here now takes his speech seriously.

    Our PM Sheikh Hasina is a mature lady with very mature thinking. His government won't take this matter far as they know that Pakistan has been invited here and we should have a good relationship in sport with Pakistan for our own sake.

    Personally (and it's the reflection of majority of Bangladeshis here) I think that it is not an issue of concern. Pakistan has the right to fly their flag in their practice session.

  72. #71
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    3,617
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Do 50 per cent Bangladeshis were pro pakistani? Yet they decided to get independence from pakistan?
    That was 50 years ago, things change

  73. #72
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    5,174
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Do 50 per cent Bangladeshis were pro pakistani? Yet they decided to get independence from pakistan?
    You shall never understand the actual mentality of subcontinent people. I haven't so far. I find them very complex.No generalization. But it's true that most Bangladeshis have been gradually developing antiIndian mentality for a number of reasons. This platform is beyond discussion.

  74. #73
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    36,872
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainul View Post
    You shall never understand the actual mentality of subcontinent people. I haven't so far. I find them very complex.No generalization. But it's true that most Bangladeshis have been gradually developing antiIndian mentality for a number of reasons. This platform is beyond discussion.
    Same has been happening in India. Indians are developing a anti BD mentality. There are many reasons for this ofcourse.

  75. #74
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    16,986
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Yes, the minister is inconsequential.
    Yes. One minister is inconsequential.

    There are over 160-million Bangladeshis. You are focusing on this one particular minister.

    You are focusing on 0.000000625% while ignoring 99.999999375%.

    While it is true that a small percentage may have an issue with the flag, vast majority do not.


    Bangladeshi Man

  76. #75
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    5,757
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainul View Post
    Flying Pakistani flag in practice of the Pakistan cricket team has not been a matter of major reaction in Bangladesh so far. There are very few opportunistic people who thrives here in Bangladesh by drawing the 1971 war sentiment everywhere. Mr Murad is one of them. He is already a half minister (state minister) of controversy . He has no boundaries when he talks. He has become the victim of trolling in social media many times due to his nonsense talking. Noone here now takes his speech seriously.

    Our PM Sheikh Hasina is a mature lady with very mature thinking. His government won't take this matter far as they know that Pakistan has been invited here and we should have a good relationship in sport with Pakistan for our own sake.

    Personally (and it's the reflection of majority of Bangladeshis here) I think that it is not an issue of concern. Pakistan has the right to fly their flag in their practice session.
    A neighboring country's pathetic media is trying their best to "erupt" controversy out of virtually nothing

    Of course, average BDeshi has better things to do than caring about this non issue.

  77. #76
    Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    2,050
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Very rude of Bangladesh Minister.

    Its Pakistan's practice and they are flying their flag not outside the ground - but inside it and next to their nets.
    This same guy earned a lot of criticism last month when he said Islam should be removed as Bangladesh's State religion, he has the tendency to gain attention with OTT statements

  78. #77
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    2,663
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    You are trying to make this a very big deal
    I agree this is non issue and BD minister is being ridiculous. But you living in Canada cannot just pass your childish assumptions as facts like 50-50 or 80-20, Hindus and Oldies being pro India. You just called Bangladeshi Hindu's as Pro India and implied that they are traitors. Canadian PM is running a minority govt for last 2 terms, nobody brushes his or his ministers comments under the carpet like you are doing to a Majority govt in BD. You are all - 'listen to me, me living in Canada know everything about BD'. You are no different than this minister when it comes to attention seeking.
    Last edited by Tera Gawaandi; 18th November 2021 at 00:18.

  79. #78
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    16,986
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHorn View Post
    This same guy earned a lot of criticism last month when he said Islam should be removed as Bangladesh's State religion, he has the tendency to gain attention with OTT statements
    Yeah. The guy is a clown.

    There are people like this unfortunately. I hope he will be gone soon.


    Bangladeshi Man

  80. #79
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    16,986
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tera Gawaandi View Post
    I agree this is non issue and BD minister is being ridiculous. But you living in Canada cannot just pass your childish assumptions as facts like 50-50 or 80-20, Hindus and Oldies being pro India. You just called Bangladeshi Hindu's as Pro India and implied that they are traitors. Canadian PM is running a minority govt for last 2 terms, nobody brushes his or his ministers comments under the carpet like you are doing to a Majority govt in BD. You are all - 'listen to me, me living in Canada know everything about BD'.
    Well, I am not completely detached from Bangladesh. I have relatives who were in BD politics.

    Just because I live in Canada doesn't mean I don't know what's going on there.


    Bangladeshi Man

  81. #80
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    36,872
    Mentioned
    1909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Yes. One minister is inconsequential.

    There are over 160-million Bangladeshis. You are focusing on this one particular minister.

    You are focusing on 0.000000625% while ignoring 99.999999375%.

    While it is true that a small percentage may have an issue with the flag, vast majority do not.
    He is a minister not any avg bangladeshi.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •