‘Ashamed’ Azeem Rafiq apologises after anti-Semitic messages emerge, now facing ECB probe

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

‘Ashamed’ Azeem Rafiq apologises after anti-Semitic messages emerge, now facing ECB probe

This was always going to happen. In today's day and age, EVERYTHING that you write on the Internet cannot be erased, kids at home.

==

Azeem Rafiq has issued an apology after a text message conversation emerged in which he used antisemitic slurs when discussing another cricketer in 2011.

Rafiq’s harrowing testimony to a parliamentary select committee on Tuesday, describing the abuse and discrimination he faced during two spells at Yorkshire, exposed a culture of institutional racism in county cricket and has led to several other players coming forwards with their own accounts.

However, he was forced to confront his own past comments on Thursday after historical messages were revealed in a report by The Times. In a conversation with former Leicestershire cricketer Ateeq Javid, Rafiq accuses a third player of being reluctant to spend money at a team dinner because “he is a Jew”.

In a statement, Rafiq said he was furious with himself, “ashamed”, and is a “different person today”.

“I was sent an image of this exchange from early 2011 today. I have gone back to check my account and it is me. I have absolutely no excuses,” Rafiq wrote.

“I am ashamed of this exchange and have now deleted it so as not to cause further offence. I was 19 at the time and I hope and believe I am a different person today. I am incredibly angry at myself and I apologise to the Jewish community and everyone who is rightly offended by this.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b1960270.html[/quote]

Azeem's tweets:

Name:  ar_jew.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  132.9 KB
    Last edited by MenInG; 18th November 2021 at 22:41.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be surprised if this is the only thing to emerge.

There must be a lot ex cricketers in Yorkshire going through their phones scouring messages with Azeem.

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - it was indeed only a matter of time. They would have been trawling through every single thing he had ever put anywhere to find anything they can to discredit him. And they have done - and he has rightly acknowledged and apologised.

The predictable thing though is that this is now going to be used by the usual suspects as some kind of vindication, but of course it isn't anything near that. Azeem has apologised for this - as he should - but this does not take away from his own experience in that institution over many years.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course it's Varun chacha who posts this

Not that I support.this though, Jews are great people and it is not good to make such remarks.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did the person he sent these messages to laugh or entertain the conversation? Or did he rebuke Azeem out for Anti-Semiticism?

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No went with my initial hunch that rafiq is wrong un.

I changed my mind when players backed him up with racism

But these anti semitic tweets , and his lifestyle and his so called friendship with ballance only leaves me with the opinion that this guy invited a lot of the abuse on himself .

Because on the other hand you had adil rashid in the same dressing room who was not bullied and has gone on to be a mainstay in England white ball cricket .

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Jew was a euphemism for stingy until recently.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it begins. Expected.

The truth is coming out now. “Ha ha ha he’s a Jew , probably go after my seconds’ - this is a comment from Azeem, the guy who was weeping and complaining about racism to the MP select committee. Returned to YCCC for a second stint, and received a figure payout. Busted. The gall and hypocrisy to cry racism.

Don’t play the age card now Azeem, 19 means you are an adult under UK law.

Then we wonder why YCCC didn’t take action on Azeem’s complaint.
    Last edited by Technics 1210; 18th November 2021 at 22:46.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    As I said the other day, I don't trust the guy but that doesn't excuse players using **** as a slur. He has got what he wants, which is money.
    While this is true, the fact is Azeem was a hypocrite to cry racism given his past tweets.

Azeem has just torpedoed his claim, and with it, set back Asian Muslim players.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    My my my

Life comes at you fast.

We all knew he is a hypocrite with no credibility. This shouldn’t come as a surprise.

A rubbish cricketer and a third grade individual. Him abusing the England U19 coach and now this are surely not the only two incidents.

More and more stuff is going to humiliated further. He is a bigger racist than everyone that he has accused.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s no ground big enough to swallow Azeem now.

He has ashamed the British Asian Muslim community.

He was in it for the money - nothing else.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His money claim is also nonsense due to the fact he was average , mentally weak had injuries and his cricketing abilities didn't develop

I wanna laugh if this guy thinks he should have been playing the ashes and a main player in England team, and this was taken from him because zimbo was bullying him .

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Technics 1210 View Post
    While this is true, the fact is Azeem was a hypocrite to cry racism given his past tweets.

Azeem has just torpedoed his claim, and with it, set back Asian Muslim players.
    It's all a game to make some cash. The real victims of racism never get the time of day.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people probably have said something controversial in the past.

People have to be careful on social media. Even if you have written something 20 years ago, it can come back to bite you.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd mentioned many times in other threads that he is a controversial person and more and more will come out about him. No doubt someone will have a video or an image somewhere of some drunken antics in a club where he is saying something racist.

It doesn't excuse the horrible treatment he faced BUT it gives people on the other side an excuse doesn't it. Gary Ballance was only young when he said what he did as well.

The issue of racism in cricket is real. 90% of posters here have faced it, Azeem has championed a great cause but he ain't the poster boy for it.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW this is almost a non-issue that I would put in the same camp as Bumble comments.

But they will amplified by many to be on the same level as long term racial abuse and used as an excuse to down play genuine racism.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    His self-righteous campaign against racism and discrimination crashed as hard as his cricket career.

You love to see it.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    His self-righteous campaign against racism and discrimination crashed as hard as his cricket career.

You love to see it.
    Frankly, it shows that racism is a problem in the entire institution, Rafiq included.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    388 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The guy exposing him is also anti Semitic

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azeem must return his payout.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    548 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    The guy exposing him is also anti Semitic
    His name is Ateeq Javid - a Warwickshire player.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    This is why anti-racism & discrimination campaigns usually fail.

The people who make the most noise are the hypocrites and frauds who are in it for the money and the spotlight.

They themselves are racists and have skeletons in their closet, and when their propaganda is exposed, they have nowhere to hide.

No one knew Rafiq as a cricketer because he achieved nothing, but now almost everyone in the cricket community has heard of him so I guess his purpose was served.

The real victims of racism and discrimination, the ones who have legitimately suffered and who truly believe in equality are not in it for the money and cheap fame, so their voices aren’t heard.

Rafiq fully deserves this humiliation. His chapter should be closed now and he should be left to lick his wounds.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember when it was said that Asians are also racist and the woke crowd refused to accept this fact? Oh boy, Azeem has paid dividends to your blind trust!

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why anti-racism & discrimination campaigns usually fail.

The people who make the most noise are the hypocrites and frauds who are in it for the money and the spotlight.

They themselves are racists and have skeletons in their closet, and when their propaganda is exposed, they have nowhere to hide.

No one knew Rafiq as a cricketer because he achieved nothing, but now almost everyone in the cricket community has heard of him so I guess his purpose was served.

The real victims of racism and discrimination, the ones who have legitimately suffered and who truly believe in equality are not in it for the money and cheap fame, so their voices aren’t heard.

Rafiq fully deserves this humiliation. His chapter should be closed now and he should be left to lick his wounds.
    Why can't both be true. Rafiq suffered discrimination by openly being called a ****. Just because he is a hypocrite doesn't mean racism does not exist at Yorkshire

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Azeem has been exposed badly

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zarak View Post
    Why can't both be true. Rafiq suffered discrimination by openly being called a ****. Just because he is a hypocrite doesn't mean racism does not exist at Yorkshire
    Because a similar guy a spin bowling all-rounder in the same dressing room and practicing muslim didn't suffer the same abuse as one of the lads azeem.

In fact adil rashid should have been a bigger victim of racism due to his islamic faith. But he made a success of his career whilst the other a mentally weak and average cricketer is blaming everyone but not looking in the mirror himself

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shameful and disgusting comments. He may have been 20 when he made them but they are shameful and disgusting nonetheless.

I don't see how these comments take away from the racism he was subjected to in Yorkshire though.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Board of deputies of British Jews have accepted Azeems apology and feel it was heartfelt and sincere.

There is no equivalence between the racism Azeem was subjected to and the leaked private conversation between him and another anti-Semitic player.

The agenda of those that are trying to compare the two stories are quite clear. While Azeems comments were wrong, they were not continuous, they did not affect someones career and they were in a private setting.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    The Board of deputies of British Jews have accepted Azeems apology and feel it was heartfelt and sincere.

There is no equivalence between the racism Azeem was subjected to and the leaked private conversation between him and another anti-Semitic player.

The agenda of those that are trying to compare the two stories are quite clear. While Azeems comments were wrong, they were not continuous, they did not affect someones career and they were in a private setting.
    Board of Deputies of British Jews president Marie van der Zyl said his apology "seems heartfelt".

She said: "Azeem Rafiq has suffered terribly at the hands of racists in cricket so he will well understand the hurt this exchange will cause to Jews who have supported him.

"His apology certainly seems heartfelt and we have no reason to believe he is not completely sincere."

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What an idiot. Is he born in Britain? He has made us look like fools.
    Last edited by Flat_Track_Bully; 18th November 2021 at 23:51.

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My my my

Life comes at you fast.

We all knew he is a hypocrite with no credibility. This shouldn’t come as a surprise.

A rubbish cricketer and a third grade individual. Him abusing the England U19 coach and now this are surely not the only two incidents.

More and more stuff is going to humiliated further. He is a bigger racist than everyone that he has accused.
    Just gone through after reading this post.

Name:  rafi.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  33.1 KB

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azeem himself stated in his testimony that he had done things he regretted.

The bottom line is there is no equation between a few idiotic comments made many years ago and a systemic failure of an institution to tackle racism and racist bullying.

The usual lackeys will of course be celebrating this exposure - as lackeys love doing - but the truth no human being is perfect. Even the Pope will have a skeleton or two in his closet. Heck - I am an activist in the field of anti racism, and I can tell you there are things from my teenage years which I am ashamed of and my colleagues are the same. Azeem being a perfect model human has never been part of the narrative - the issue has been the culture in the dressing room and the failure of people in authority to stamp it out.

I will go back to what Nazir Afzal said - the victim is always discredited and I'll add my own two penneth to say the lackeys always celebrate any discrediting. But ultimately, in the end, the world will find a way of working things out as they should be.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago
    Runs
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This is precisely why digging old stuff is wrong. World has changed, times have changed. People should live in the present and try to improve the present instead of castigating others for what they did years ago. People are more aware now. He accused others of racism and now he's one of them.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    What an idiot. Is he born in Britain? He has made us look like fools.
    He has to be fair. The white folk at work were talking about this yesterday and they genuinely had sympathy with Rafiq. I was beginning to think the P word will be forbidden like the N word in the UK. But these comments from when he was an adult has done the whole thing a major disservice.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakHammer View Post
    He has to be fair. The white folk at work were talking about this yesterday and they genuinely had sympathy with Rafiq. I was beginning to think the P word will be forbidden like the N word in the UK. But these comments from when he was an adult has done the whole thing a major disservice.
    Racism towards Pakistanis in Britain has gone on since the 60s. Wrong mouthpiece as per usual.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note to self:

2 wrongs don’t make a right unless a cricketer has been accused of fixing much later on post discrimination.

In that case either all the discrimination becomes ok or it doesn’t even exist to begin with.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Cue the Curb theme*

Directed by Robert B. Weide

Executive producer - Larry David

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    What about the Pakistanis who are not religious so not anti semetic? This clown has made us look like fools, this was a great opportunity for a reset. As per usual the Pakistanis living up north have no class, stop representing us in public.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He played for Yorkshire went to Derbyshire on loan and went back to Yorkshire before being released.

He then was out of the game and Derbyshire refused to sign him

He then went back to Yorkshire, if Yorkshire was such a bad place why did he return, subsequently he was given the boot obviously he did lose his kid which would have effected him badly but I think Yorkshire hierarchy found him too much of a problem character and got rid .

The question is the perpetrator of the racism gary ballance was his best friend rafiq went to his house they drank together.

Now question is with drink flowing and banter going on was it rafiq who allowed the red lines to be crossed with the p word and racism , to put a better phrase was he up their backsides wanting to be one of the lads and allowed the racism mickey taking to come into it because he was the idiot who let those players cross the line instead of making a stand straight away and saying guys stop your crossing a red line .

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Azeem has been brave this was obvious, he is not doing this just for asians, muslims, jewish people he is doing for all.

No one is perfect... he apologised.... there is likely to more to come out as backlash, to dampen the issues he raised.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well this doesn't take away anything from his own experience as a racist victim, especially when he belongs to a minority community. He apologized. And he must change or I don't think there is going to be a place for him there.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post

I don't see how these comments take away from the racism he was subjected to in Yorkshire though.
    They don’t. But he isn’t exactly in a position to be a poster boy. And if he expects to be forgiven then others should also expect same

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hes owned upto his mistake Good on him Time others did the same n not denying it or calling it "banter"

This doesnt negate his claims or what hes experienced at all

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricketrenew View Post
    Azeem has been brave this was obvious, he is not doing this just for asians, muslims, jewish people he is doing for all.

No one is perfect... he apologised.... there is likely to more to come out as backlash, to dampen the issues he raised.
    Please explain what decent person is anti semetic on facebook with his name and face on there?

We needed a better rep, this was a watershed moment for Brit Pakistanis, this isn't about Muslims or anyone else.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How much money will Azeem get if he wins?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Did the person he sent these messages to laugh or entertain the conversation? Or did he rebuke Azeem out for Anti-Semiticism?
    It's a Facebook conversation between Rafiq, the "voice of the voiceless," and another cricketer called Ateeq Javid...in relation to a third person called Atif, who is obviously a mutual friend of the two cricketers.

When Ateeq makes a anti-semetic comments Rafiq laughs, when Rafiq makes a anti-semtic comments Ateek laughs.

There is NO rebuke...WHATSOEVER!

Were you honestly expecting there to be one?

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    It's a Facebook conversation between Rafiq, the "voice of the voiceless," and another cricketer called Ateeq Javid...in relation to a third person called Atif, who is obviously a mutual friend of the two cricketers.

When Ateeq makes a anti-semetic comments Rafiq laughs, when Rafiq makes a anti-semtic comments Ateek laughs.

There is NO rebuke...WHATSOEVER!

Were you honestly expecting there to be one?
    What was it Azeem said? Ahh yes "Racism is not banter", yet the leaked private messages suggest Azeem thinks otherwise.

Wisden, Talksport, BBC, and Telegraph FB pages are claiming more information is to be leaked, and if some of it is true, then no doubt Azeem will go into hiding.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mazkhan View Post
    He played for Yorkshire went to Derbyshire on loan and went back to Yorkshire before being released.

He then was out of the game and Derbyshire refused to sign him

He then went back to Yorkshire, if Yorkshire was such a bad place why did he return, subsequently he was given the boot obviously he did lose his kid which would have effected him badly but I think Yorkshire hierarchy found him too much of a problem character and got rid .

The question is the perpetrator of the racism gary ballance was his best friend rafiq went to his house they drank together.

Now question is with drink flowing and banter going on was it rafiq who allowed the red lines to be crossed with the p word and racism , to put a better phrase was he up their backsides wanting to be one of the lads and allowed the racism mickey taking to come into it because he was the idiot who let those players cross the line instead of making a stand straight away and saying guys stop your crossing a red line .
    This is what you call hitting the proverbial nail on the head mate.

Things only turned sour when mate and captain Ballance dropped Rafiq from the team in 2018.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So disappointing. Makes you lose faith in humanity. Does absolutely everyone engage in this absolute filth?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His motivation was MONEY and a vendetta against the former best mate and club that dropped him.

People up here know him, there are already strong rumours circulating. Whatever comes out will not be to dampen the issues he raised but to highlight his sheer hypocrisy.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, if I have harassed someone at work at some point during my career, does that mean that the company should get off scot-free if it has exhibited a behavior of systemic racism year over year?

Also, it is so funny how Indian are the first to jump at any opportunity to discredit someone's voice. I do not know if it the slave-mentality which they haven't been able to get rid of since pre-colonial era or if its an effort to fit into the western culture, which so aspire to, by disassociating themselves with anything that portrays the west in a bad way. So pathetic!

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Azeem has been exposed badly
    He will not be "exposed" until what he has claimed is found untrue.

Don't shoot the messenger, ever heard of it?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name:  thumbnail_IMG_20211118_182608.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  93.0 KB

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    He will not be "exposed" until what he has claimed is found untrue.

Don't shoot the messenger, ever heard of it?
    He is no longer just a victim of racism but a perpetrator of racism too. The ball game has changed.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a sad state of affair when the British themselves are asking those responsible to held accountable but desi folks here, not surprisingly many Indians, are hell-bent on brown-nosing and finding excuses to invalidate someone's experiencing

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is no longer just a victim of racism but a perpetrator of racism too. The ball game has changed.
    Okay, if proven, punish him as well. The ball game that was initiated is still very much the same. Whataboutism is the lamest argument you can put up.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, if proven, punish him as well. The ball game that was initiated is still very much the same. Whataboutism is the lamest argument you can put up.
    What do you mean if proven? Have you seen the screen shots of his messages? Azeem even admits he sent the messages! Read the article in the OP! If not this news is plastered over British media. BBC, Talksport, LBC, Telegraph to name but a few.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    I'll be surprised if this is the only thing to emerge.

There must be a lot ex cricketers in Yorkshire going through their phones scouring messages with Azeem.

And photos and videos of him on their phones...when the local cricket community knows he's a heavy drinker and yesterday he allows The Sun to run with a story of him being "drenched by beer, despite his strict Muslim beliefs," it rubs even those sympathizing with him, up the wrong way.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16770...eer-yorkshire/

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you mean if proven? Have you seen the screen shots of his messages? Azeem even admits he sent the messages! Read the article in the OP! If not this news is plastered over British media. BBC, Talksport, LBC, Telegraph to name but a few.
    Okay then, punish him as well. What is your point? Or are you trying to say that if someone has committed a crime, they are fair-play for whatever happens to them? Again, arguments based on whataboutism hold zero weight in the court of law.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And photos and videos of him on their phones...when the local cricket community knows he's a heavy drinker and yesterday he allows The Sun to run with a story of him being "drenched by beer, despite his strict Muslim beliefs," it rubs even those sympathizing with him, up the wrong way.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/16770...eer-yorkshire/
    Oh, newsflash, no one cares. This case, like everything else in the world, is not about who is the most pious or religious - please drop this obsession with judging people based on their religious beliefs/behaviors.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay then, punish him as well. What is your point? Or are you trying to say that if someone has committed a crime, they are fair-play for whatever happens to them? Again, arguments based on whataboutism hold zero weight in the court of law.
    I understand you are upset because Azeem isn't the saint you thought he was but the point is Azeem is a hypocrite. Stop Defending him now. Weren't you attacking Olly Robinson when his racist tweet was leaked from when he was 18?

Azeem has potentially destroyed the careers of players and commentators by playing the victim card, turned out he wasn't just a victim.

Yes punish him, he should return the 6 figure payout he received!

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand you are upset because Azeem isn't the saint you thought he was but the point is Azeem is a hypocrite. Stop Defending him now. Weren't you attacking Olly Robinson when his racist tweet was leaked from when he was 18?

Azeem has potentially destroyed the careers of players and commentators by playing the victim card, turned out he wasn't just a victim.

Yes punish him, he should return the 6 figure payout he received!
    Did I ever say Azeem was a saint? If I did, please show it otherwise refrain from making unfounded claims. Lol! Nothing about this is personally to me, so I have no idea why I would be upset.

Again, I do not shoot the messenger, so I do not care if Azeem is a hypocrite or not. What I care about is the argument itself. If Azeem is lying, his claims should be thrown out the window. However, if he's telling the truth, regardless of his past, it should be fairly investigated and justice should be meted out.

Unlike you, and many others, I do not let my personal biases cloud my judgement.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s pretty evident that Azeem was part of the problem himself

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Azeem Rafiq doesn’t remember a post he typed out in 2011 and had to go back and confirm that it was indeed him.

And he is expecting Michael Vaughan to remember a 2 second remark he made in 2009?

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I ever say Azeem was a saint? If I did, please show it otherwise refrain from making unfounded claims. Lol! Nothing about this is personally to me, so I have no idea why I would be upset.

Again, I do not shoot the messenger, so I do not care if Azeem is a hypocrite or not. What I care about is the argument itself. If Azeem is lying, his claims should be thrown out the window. However, if he's telling the truth, regardless of his past, it should be fairly investigated and justice should be meted out.

Unlike you, and many others, I do not let my personal biases cloud my judgement.
    You were just moaning about whataboutary claims above not realising (or reading) that Azeem had himself confirmed the anti-Semitic messages, so save the biases cloud my judgement malarky.

For the record it was Azeem who brought his religion into this, no one else. Thanks to his daylight hypocrisy, Muslims in the UK are going to be at the brunt of all sorts now on social media and elsewhere, all thanks to your boy Azeem.

The argument is simple, never changed, Whites aren't the only racist cricketers in England and this is now proven in the grandest of styles.

Azeem has lost plentiful sympathy now, nothing he says going forwards will hold any weight now.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What you are failing to understand is that Azeem may have incited racist comments towards him with his own behavior. From this example, we can see he was anti Semitic. Who knows what else he said or did? If someone is racist, he can easily get racist remarks back at him. It is different when innocents face racism.

This message coming from Azeem may have hurt the chances of those innocent people's issues being looked at seriously. Desis living in England can understand this.
    Last edited by Messiah; 19th November 2021 at 02:34.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, newsflash, no one cares. This case, like everything else in the world, is not about who is the most pious or religious - please drop this obsession with judging people based on their religious beliefs/behaviors.
    Keep up lad, it was Rafiq that was spinning the practicing Muslim line to the media, well I say media, I mean the Sun.

Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name:  thumbnail_IMG_20211118_182608.jpg
Views: 1167
Size:  93.0 KB
    That must be Azeem Rafique being forced to drink wine.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know of Azeem's behaviour through friends of friends ( all very reliable). Trust me when you guys hear about it you will be shocked.

He was a drunken loutish guy, caught up living a double lie. That was my feeling at the start of the case and that's still my feelings now.

But he was racially abused by people in authority at Yorkshire - that cannot be disputed. Hopefully some good will come out of it for future generations but the 'messiah' Azeem will be crucified in the process.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ravisurya View Post
    Some posters will reply to this and say he was only 15 and didn't drink. However, if you have ever been in a sport team in a western country as a teenager, there is a lot of things like that which happens. If Azeem was truly a non-drinker, then he would still have a lot of credibility.

However, this just downplays any sort of credibility he had.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you aren't from the UK and like a lot of posters are getting annoyed when anyone mentions his drinking.

To more conservative types, growing up in the UK, people like Azeem are seen as Uncle Toms and their presence and desire to fit in and be one of the lads has a massive negative affect on Asians/Muslims who don't want to partake in that behaviour.

Its a touchy topic and not a judgment on a persons religious beliefs but a judgement of their character and willingness to drop their pants to fit in.

Before you ask, does it justify being racially abused? No of course not.

But for many of us these type of sell outs made it even harder for us to thrive in these environments. This is why I am glad in this country we have role models like Adil and Moeen...so our next generations to feel the need to sacrifice everything to fit in.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am glad in this country we have role models like Adil and Moeen...so our next generations to feel the need to sacrifice everything to fit in.
    You know that Rafiq outed Rashid as an ex-drinker?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ravisurya View Post
    If you look very carefully you can see he's being pinned down and the vodka bottle forced into his mouth...

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what you call hitting the proverbial nail on the head mate.

Things only turned sour when mate and captain Ballance dropped Rafiq from the team in 2018.
    The guy is a fraud, looking for massive payday. He always had the vibes of an opportunist .. along with the fact that he's been afflicted with the 'Imran Khan syndrome' as well - being more pious and preachy after your playing days are over and raising a young family.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know that Rafiq outed Rashid as an ex-drinker?
    Perhaps he did. Anyone can make mistakes.

The Adil with the beard that we have now, and the one that moves away when alcohol is being poured out him is still a good image for young kids to see.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59338118

"Rafiq also later apologised on Thursday for an Instagram meme containing a saying relating to African people."

BBC reporting Azeem has apologised over a meme on instagram targeting Africans!

It's all coming out now!

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You were just moaning about whataboutary claims above not realising (or reading) that Azeem had himself confirmed the anti-Semitic messages, so save the biases cloud my judgement malarky.

For the record it was Azeem who brought his religion into this, no one else. Thanks to his daylight hypocrisy, Muslims in the UK are going to be at the brunt of all sorts now on social media and elsewhere, all thanks to your boy Azeem.

The argument is simple, never changed, Whites aren't the only racist cricketers in England and this is now proven in the grandest of styles.

Azeem has lost plentiful sympathy now, nothing he says going forwards will hold any weight now.
    oh man, you just keep dodging the very simple points I have raised and keep repeating the same thing over and over again. I'll try and break it out for you in bullet points for easier comprehension -

- I literally just said that Azeem should be punished for any racism that he has committed in the past. So, there is no bias there. Is that too hard to understand?

- Muslims are going to suffer because of what he has said? Wait, what?! If they do, it says more about the racism in UK than it does about Azeem.

- Who says whites are the only racist cricketers? Are you going pulling claims out of your backside and attributing those to me? Racism, exhibited by ANYONE; white, brown, black is WRONG and should be punished!

So, yes, by using Azeem's moral compass and past actions, you are confirming that your judgement is indeed biased. "See, he made a racist comment in the past himself. So, whatever happened to him and multiple others should be invalidated. Off with this head." Hear how ridiculous that sounds?

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh man, you just keep dodging the very simple points I have raised and keep repeating the same thing over and over again. I'll try and break it out for you in bullet points for easier comprehension -

- I literally just said that Azeem should be punished for any racism that he has committed in the past. So, there is no bias there. Is that too hard to understand?

- Muslims are going to suffer because of what he has said? Wait, what?! If they do, it says more about the racism in UK than it does about Azeem.

- Who says whites are the only racist cricketers? Are you going pulling claims out of your backside and attributing those to me? Racism, exhibited by ANYONE; white, brown, black is WRONG and should be punished!

So, yes, by using Azeem's moral compass and past actions, you are confirming that your judgement is indeed biased. "See, he made a racist comment in the past himself. So, whatever happened to him and multiple others should be invalidated. Off with this head." Hear how ridiculous that sounds?
    I have not repeated anything, in fact, I like a few others have been vindicated thanks to racist Azeem. You are now simply agree with me.

I haven't dodged a thing. You are just getting schooled.

And yes you've been proven wrong twice in this thread, it was Azeem who dragged his religion into this - no one else. So please stop playing the victim card, seen enough of it already.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you aren't from the UK and like a lot of posters are getting annoyed when anyone mentions his drinking.

To more conservative types, growing up in the UK, people like Azeem are seen as Uncle Toms and their presence and desire to fit in and be one of the lads has a massive negative affect on Asians/Muslims who don't want to partake in that behaviour.

Its a touchy topic and not a judgment on a persons religious beliefs but a judgement of their character and willingness to drop their pants to fit in.

Before you ask, does it justify being racially abused? No of course not.

But for many of us these type of sell outs made it even harder for us to thrive in these environments. This is why I am glad in this country we have role models like Adil and Moeen...so our next generations to feel the need to sacrifice everything to fit in.
    Fair point. But as you said, mentioning it in a thread which is about the racist abuse he has received means that you are actually trying to use his drinking against his claims... which, I think, you just agreed is wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't look at cricketers for guidance as to how to fit in a culture or live my life. Whatever they do in their private life is their business, I am sure I can find many better examples that align to with principles.

So again, I do not see why anyone would mention his drinking when talking about the racist abuse he claims he has received... and guessing from your post, you would agree with that.