Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Historic Asian league severs ties with the Yorkshire Cricket Board and the ECB

More woe for Yorkshire, I'd have thought they'd give the new board a chance...

Yorkshire's founding Asian cricket league has severed ties with the Yorkshire Cricket Board (YCB) and ECB as both bodies stand accused of 'neglect and preferential treatment', Sportsmail can reveal.

The Quaid-e-Azam Sunday cricket league (QASCL) was founded in 1980 - the first Asian league to be recognised by the ECB.

But it is understood that the league has yet to receive a response from the YCB after an AGM meeting in October 2018 in which issues including being locked out of the Yorkshire pyramid structure were raised.

The ECB has been pointed to for 'abandoning' the league by instead funding clubs inside the pyramid. The QASCL league has subsequently refused to pay its affiliation fee until action is taken.

'The teams who play in our league have come about in the last 20-30 years and we've always played at the lowest level of the system,' QASCL cricket league chairman Taj Butt told Sportsmail.

'Some of these clubs have become quite good and successful and want to play at a higher level which they feel would be more appropriate for them.

'But there are examples where clubs have applied to join other leagues in the Yorkshire pyramid structure but despite having the facilities, meeting the criteria, they have not been able to join other leagues because club members from the other leagues don't want to vote us in.

'It's the arrogant nature of the institution (YCB) that they simply ignore us. We've been waiting three years for a response and we still haven't received a response which is why our clubs have been forced to take this action.'

Being locked out of such leagues is an aspect Sportsmail highlighted in September in a special report on Yorkshire's grassroots segregation problem.

The pyramid structure was introduced by the YCB in 2016, aimed at bringing together the county's finest clubs. But for clubs outside the pyramid, they are dependent on club members inside the respective pyramid leagues to vote them in.

The distribution of funds by the ECB has also been raised.

Bowling Baptist Cricket Club chairman and captain Shahzaid Yousaf said: 'These clubs (from the pyramid structure) have enough money to pay players in the first instance so does it make sense that funding goes to them?'

'Bigger clubs in the other leagues pay the exact same affiliation fee as we do, even though many have their own facilities,' adds Butt.

'They get a lot more in return as a result of owning their own facilities. There are lots of grants available from the ECB to improve facilities etc. Most of our clubs don't have their grounds - they hire them from the Saturday teams. So we don't get any funding from the ECB at all, whereas other clubs do.'

The non-representation of league members in committee meetings despite paying a £70 affiliation fee has also been pointed to.

It comes just two days after ex-Yorkshire chairman Roger Hutton admitted that Yorkshire County Cricket Club is ‘institutionally racist’ in a DCMS select committee into racism at Yorkshire.

An ECB spokesperson said: 'The ECB makes funding available for all clubs across England and Wales so that they can improve facilities and make cricket more accessible.

'We have worked closely with local authorities in Bradford, Leeds and Sheffield to fund 50 non-turf pitches in locations that will enable more people to play cricket.

'The ECB contributed £750,000 to the redevelopment of Bradford Park Avenue into an elite facility has resulted in large numbers of people using the ground, while we're committed to funding £500,000 towards an Urban Centre at Parkside Sports Centre in West Bowling in Bradford.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...ket-Board.html

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely they need to give the new regime a bit of time?

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not surprised racism and prejudice and minorities being isolated has really gone up since 2007 when these tories got in .
    Got uglier with brexit and things have progressively got worse with this current clown we have as the pm.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    It's sad that Asian cricketers have had to set up a separate league to get chances to play cricket locally.

I guess if they hadn't, they wouldn't get a chance at most clubs.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    It's sad that Asian cricketers have had to set up a separate league to get chances to play cricket locally.

Most of the Desi leagues are Sunday leagues and the formal leagues are Saturday. Many of the desis play both and the ones that dont do so because they work on Saturdays.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's also quite sad that although it seems inevitable that some change will now surely be coming, they've decided to sever ties...the timing just seems bizarre.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Most of the Desi leagues are Sunday leagues and the formal leagues are Saturday. Many of the desis play both and the ones that dont do so because they work on Saturdays.
    Problem is that quite a few of the scouts look down on the Asian leagues and the players who play in them, which is unfortunate and a little blinkered.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problem is that quite a few of the scouts look down on the Asian leagues and the players who play in them, which is unfortunate and a little blinkered.
    There are some really good players in the Sunday leagues that dont play in the Saturday leagues because they feel constricted by the pressure of Saturday cricket. There is a lot more at stake in the Saturday leagues for clubs because getting relegated means loss of sponsorship and players. Most of the Sunday teams dont have their own grounds and also no formal income from bar and Subs.

From my experience racism isnt the biggest issue facing desi players, its the bias towards private school kids that both State school kids from Asian and White backgrounds have to face. Many of the coaches have connections to top private schools in each county and will favour them. I do agree that when tight calls are made then generally white kids are preferred. My lad was good bowler but wasnt good enough to make it, but the 2 white kids chosen werent as good and they were given more opportunities. I complained to the county and they backed the coach.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They should also boycott going to watch matches.

The 100 in Birmingham witnessed a large percentage of Asians in the stand. Hit them in the pockets until they have no choice to change.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    There are some really good players in the Sunday leagues that dont play in the Saturday leagues because they feel constricted by the pressure of Saturday cricket. There is a lot more at stake in the Saturday leagues for clubs because getting relegated means loss of sponsorship and players. Most of the Sunday teams dont have their own grounds and also no formal income from bar and Subs.

From my experience racism isnt the biggest issue facing desi players, its the bias towards private school kids that both State school kids from Asian and White backgrounds have to face. Many of the coaches have connections to top private schools in each county and will favour them. I do agree that when tight calls are made then generally white kids are preferred. My lad was good bowler but wasnt good enough to make it, but the 2 white kids chosen werent as good and they were given more opportunities. I complained to the county and they backed the coach.
    Not only that, coaches and scouts usually have affiliation with certain towns and will favour young players from there.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Not only that, coaches and scouts usually have affiliation with certain towns and will favour young players from there.
    That is certainly true and as more Desi coaches come through then it will impact the tight calls which traditionally have always invariably favoured the white players.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is about time the white people suffered the anger of their constant racism in the name of banter. So when Ian Botham said he would like to send his mother in law to Pakistan it was just a joke! When prior to the 1992 WC final some Aussie came dressed as the British Queen Botham wanted to "punch his lights out" as he said at the time. I feel sooner or later white players will start being racially abused too. I do believe the players Azeem mentioned are racists.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    That is certainly true and as more Desi coaches come through then it will impact the tight calls which traditionally have always invariably favoured the white players.
    Depends on the coaches though.

As from what I have heard, some are coming through but are a bit too keen to please their bosses and not have the guts to change things around.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple! Use a few racist terms or nicknames for white players then see how they like it. No one is exempt from racism. For example white players mock the Sikh turban then hit them back with similar insults. Gotta show them the mirror.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Simple! Use a few racist terms or nicknames for white players then see how they like it. No one is exempt from racism. For example white players mock the Sikh turban then hit them back with similar insults. Gotta show them the mirror.
    I think this is a great idea...black and brown players should start being racist towards white players.

شاباش

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TAK View Post
    I think this is a great idea...black and brown players should start being racist towards white players.

شاباش
    I am serious. You need to show the abuser the hurt and pain they are causing others. Only then will they stop. You maybe an angel...mubarak ho and welcome to earth among us human beings. I believe in "you reap what you sow". Farishta saheb I hope all is well in heaven where you came from
    Last edited by PakLFC; 26th November 2021 at 04:37.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It’s going to take a while for YCCC to rebuild its reputation, but with Lord Patel at the helm they may just have a chance.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Leeds Leeds Leeds
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    It’s going to take a while for YCCC to rebuild its reputation, but with Lord Patel at the helm they may just have a chance.
    Aye, Lord Patel Of Bradford OBE will make working class lads welcome at Yorkshire...