Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    I think the issue here is that mahmadullah had kept that surprise element of bowling before the popping crease, once nawaz pulled out after the ball was in the air, the surprise element ended and thus on the last ball nawaz connected it.

If i was a bengali fan i would be abit upset, because once that surprise element is gone the batsmen would be extra careful on the next
    I think Mahmudullah did the right thing by not contesting it. It is one of those grey areas. Also, it is just a meaningless T20 game.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorblind Genius View Post
    A great tactic by Mahmadullah. He caught Nawaz off guard.

This is 100% out.

Shame on Nawaz and hats off to Mahmadullah for showing great sportsman spirit.
    So we going to ignore Mahmudullah's lack of sportsmanship?

Nawaz was well within his right to back away because he wasn't ready. He was standing in batting position but clearly looking down. Mahmudullah, tried to slip it in quickly. Everyone ignoring that. Wasn't a tactic - was an attempt to cheat.

Umpire made the right call. Maybe umpire should have held his hand up until Nawaz was fully ready.

No one likes me cause I am a Paul Heyman guy.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Nawaz held on to his nerve, striking a four and denying Bangladesh a rare winning moment as the Mirpur crowd was stunned

Bangladesh T20I captain Mahmudullah brushed off the controversies which took place in the last over of the Pakistan chase in the third and final game of the series at Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium Monday.

Bangladesh conceded a five-wicket defeat in the game but this had come on the back of nail-biting events.

Going into the last over, Bangladesh needed to defend eight runs.

Off-spinner Mahmudullah brought himself to the bowling attack for the first time in the game and almost pulled off the tie.

With set batsman Haider Ali in the middle alongside Sarfaraz Ahmed, the first ball of the over went for a dot while in the next two deliveries both the batters were dismissed to put Mahmudullah on a hat-trick.

Mahmudullah’s third ball went for a six as new batter Iftikhar Ahmed swung it over the bowler’s head.

Mahmudullah bounced back hard in the next ball and removed Iftikhar – Bangladesh now needed to defend two off the last ball of the game.

At this point drama triggered between the two teams as Pakistan batter Mohammad Nawaz backed away from strike shouldering his arms.

It was a straight ball from Mahmudullah that hit the stumps but it was bowled from well behind the umpire.

Mahmudullah had a word with Nawaz, asking him something.

Mahmudullah later said he was satisfied with the answer coming both from Nawaz and the on-field umpire.

Bangladesh wicket-keeper Nurul Hasan was also involved in the conversation, which ended peacefully.

The drama continued as Mahmudullah pulled out from releasing the re-delivery of the last ball in the very last moment.

Pakistan however, had the last smile as Nawaz held on to his nerve, striking a boundary and denying Bangladesh a rare winning moment amid the shunned packed upper tiers at SBNCS.

Mahmudullah speaking on the event following the game said, “The conversation with the umpire was he [Nawaz] moved at the very last moment. So, I asked the umpire if it was a fair ball. Nothing more than that.”

“Umpire's call is final and we do respect that,” Mahmudullah added.

Bangladesh with the series defeat have now lost eight matches in a row in the format – including the five in the Super 12 stage of the recently concluded T20 World Cup.

Bangladesh had gone into the world event with series wins at home against Australia and New Zealand.

Bangladesh in the series against Pakistan played a young team.

Opener Tamim Iqbal has kept himself away from the format and this time they missed out Shakib al Hasan due to injury and veteran batsman Mushfiqur Rahim over selection policy.

“I think the confidence level would have been better if we had won two of three games. The dressing room was very lively during the series against Australia and New Zealand. Of course losing matches does hurt the players and doubts are created. I think the players did try their best and gave good effort in the middle unfortunately the result did not come our way,” said Mahmudullah.

“There are a lot of fresh players in the team this time. Saif [Hasan] had his debut, Shahidul [Islam] made his debut [Monday] and bowled well. It was a good opportunity for the youngsters to make a mark. Probably it will take a bit of time as T20 format is not easy. I hope they will manage it in days to come and perform for the team,” the all-rounder explained.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/sport/2...-controversies

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir View Post

Nawaz was well within his right to back away because he wasn't ready. He was standing in batting position but clearly looking down. Mahmudullah, tried to slip it in quickly. Everyone ignoring that. Wasn't a tactic - was an attempt to cheat.

Umpire made the right call. Maybe umpire should have held his hand up until Nawaz was fully ready.
    I don't think it is right to call Mahmudullah a cheat here. I didn't see any cheating here (neither from Mahmudullah nor from Nawaz). It was misunderstandings from both.

If the intention was to cheat, he probably would've contested it and umpire might have given it out. The reason why umpire didn't do anything was because Mahmudullah withdrew the appeal.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 22nd November 2021 at 20:06.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gained a lot of respect for Mahmadullah. He bowled a top class last over and instead of courting controversy he accepted the umpire's decision without hesitation.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Sep 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HitWicket View Post
    He pulled out after the ball was delivered. You can't suddenly step away after a legal delivery has been released because the style of delivery surprised you. Imagine someone stepping away because a leg spinner bowled a googly and it surprised them. Definitely out by the laws of the game.
    Haha i have seen many times bowlers not bowling the ball after completing action when they see batsman stepping down the crease or changing the stance for reverse hit , if thats fair because bowlers get surprised, batsman can pull out too if they see unusual action in this case Mahmdullah bowling behind the upmire

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The Umpires and Match Referee were there to decide whether that was out or not, they ruled in favour of Nawaz and Bangladesh did not make any controversy out of the episode.
    Last edited by transparent opacity; 22nd November 2021 at 20:27.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only a blind man cannot see.
    Look at his back lift, bend in the back and eye focus on the ball - just before he pulled out.

He was very well set AND ready to face the ball.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasim Ghulam View Post
    Haha i have seen many times bowlers not bowling the ball after completing action when they see batsman stepping down the crease or changing the stance for reverse hit , if thats fair because bowlers get surprised, batsman can pull out too if they see unusual action in this case Mahmdullah bowling behind the upmire
    A more like for like equivalent would be a spinner releasing a ball, seeing the batsman start to charge down the wicket and at that moment being able to tell the umpire that he doesn't want this ball to count because the batsman is doing something he didn't expect.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bowlers can legally bowl from the rear crease point where the stumps are grounded, 1 foot must be on that to the popping crease mark... b4 and after is illegal

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at his back lift, bend in the back and eye focus on the ball - just before he pulled out.

Yes, if you look at this image, it seems like he was ready.

He was not ready.

You have to see the entire video. When Mahmudullah started his run up all the way to releasing the ball, Nawaz was looking down. He was simply not ready.

Can someone post the full video please?

It was not out. Clear as day.

This image is like looking at Saeed Ajmal's bowling action at the point of release of the ball and concluding his action is clean.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reversehook View Post
    bowlers can legally bowl from the rear crease point where the stumps are grounded, 1 foot must be on that to the popping crease mark... b4 and after is illegal
    This is not part of the laws or playing conditions.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A more like for like equivalent would be a spinner releasing a ball, seeing the batsman start to charge down the wicket and at that moment being able to tell the umpire that he doesn't want this ball to count because the batsman is doing something he didn't expect.
    Thatís not equivalent as Nawaz at no point offered a shot to the bowl delivered. If he did then yes you could make that argument. This is more like a bowler saw a batsman come down the track or change position for switch hit and withdraws the release, which has happened a few times.

Debut
    May 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)

Context. Nice job taking a image at a second and telling a different story.

Watch the clip. The only reason the picture looks as such is because Nawaz looked up and was taking proper guard then. Mahmudullah saw he was looking down and tried to slip it in. Mahmudullah knew what he was doing - he didn't protest it for that reason.

No one likes me cause I am a Paul Heyman guy.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    PCB must do the right thing and not only an issue an apology but withdraw this victory. This was pathetic and embarrassing to watch.

Bangladesh players should have protested. This was ridiculous.
    Yes i think Nawaz should be banned for life, Baber should never be allowed to captain again. Pakistan should apologise to BD for todays match, but also to England for the no balls controversy in 2010 and to Australia for the Salim Malik controversy in the 90'🙄🙄🙄🙄

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    Yes, if you look at this image, it seems like he was ready.

He was not ready.

You have to see the entire video. When Mahmudullah started his run up all the way to releasing the ball, Nawaz was looking down. He was simply not ready.

Can someone post the full video please?

It was not out. Clear as day.

This image is like looking at Saeed Ajmal's bowling action at the point of release of the ball and concluding his action is clean.
    Context. Nice job taking a image at a second and telling a different story.

Watch the clip. The only reason the picture looks as such is because Nawaz looked up and was taking proper guard then. Mahmudullah saw he was looking down and tried to slip it in. Mahmudullah knew what he was doing - he didn't protest it for that reason.
    You can watch the video all you want, I have watched it as well.

In the pic above, the ball has not pitched yet, and he is fully ready.

Each to it's own but if I was the umpire, I would give it out. Easy decision.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another way ... way before the ball has pitched.

Look at his batting stance and his eyes focused on the ball.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gayle_Force View Post
    Thatís not equivalent as Nawaz at no point offered a shot to the bowl delivered. If he did then yes you could make that argument. This is more like a bowler saw a batsman come down the track or change position for switch hit and withdraws the release, which has happened a few times.
    Both the bowler and batsman are free to do what they want (within reason) until the ball is released. This withdrawal occured after the ball had been released therefore is a completely different situation.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And another one.
    The ball has not even released yet, but he is fully ready and looking at the bowler.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People are crying, feel sorry for them lol. Such weak hearts, itís NOT OUT no two ways about it

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you describe this then?

This was not called a no-ball.

I have also seen this type of delivery during the recent World T20. No-ball wasn't called.
    Last edited by MenInG; 23rd November 2021 at 08:43.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    People are crying, feel sorry for them lol. Such weak hearts, it’s NOT OUT no two ways about it
    No one is crying. People are just discussing it, that’s why we have this forum and discussions keep the forum alive.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not out.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post
    No one is crying. People are just discussing it, that’s why we have this forum and discussions keep the forum alive.
    Many are crying. Umpires were fine. Bangladesh players are fine. Bangladesh crowd was fine. Bangladesh fans are fine. Bangladesh posters are fine. ICC is fine. But some half minded people are crying like thereís no tomorrow

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jadeja did the same but there was no crying. The hypocrisy of some is ��
    Last edited by transparent opacity; 22nd November 2021 at 21:35.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Too many armchair fans about and not really surprised by Mamoon and his constant moaning.

Debut
    Apr 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    if you read the actual rules of the game it seems this delivery was illegal because the bower can do anything behind the umpires line of view , throw the ball, bowl from extra wide etc, a bit of a grey area but in theory i think it is not allowed.
    Correct call
    I am absolutely with Nawaz and his game awareness. He had split of second and he refused to be sucked into moment.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is another way ... way before the ball has pitched.

Look at his batting stance and his eyes focused on the ball.

Man you really need a course in laws of the game. See the full video then we talk.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here you go. Tell me if he was fully ready.

Last edited by Last Monetarist; 22nd November 2021 at 23:51.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nawaz pulled out just in time.A batsman can pull out.The delivery was legal though.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artaxerxes View Post
    Nawaz pulled out just in time.A batsman can pull out.The delivery was legal though.
    Legal in the sense that you can bowl from behind the umpire.

But illegal in that the batsman wasn't ready.

So illegal.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketerB94 View Post
    Again, you can see Nawaz's explanation of backing away here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOqtvuC9bnc

And again, the umpires were there to decide what was right according to the circumstances. You or anyone questioning that is just a waste of time until we hear something from ICC that it was a wrong decision from umpires.
    Agreed completely.

A batsman is allowed to pull out of a delivery for various reasons. If the umpires deem it fit, pakpassion is not going to change their minds

Debut
    Nov 2008
    Venue
    Waterloo, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out everyday of the week.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both the bowler and batsman are free to do what they want (within reason) until the ball is released. This withdrawal occured after the ball had been released therefore is a completely different situation.
    Its quite evident in this case that the bowler released the bowl much earlier than his typical bowling style. Full video clearly shows Nawaz was looking down just before release.

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a legal delivery. Saqlain used to bowl this too.
    Last edited by Saj; 22nd November 2021 at 23:54.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Look at these armchair experts here. Some really ignorant discussion going on here. Nawaz wasn't ready! Mahmudullah delivered the ball as soon as Nawaz looked up. He had every right to pull out and kudos to him for doing so in time!

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not out everyday of the week

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are a sensible poster, so this post is a little surprising.

Anyone who follows cricket would know that there is no way you can judge the batsman's readiness from a still screengrab. Come on now

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this and I'm quite surprised at the few who are saying that that is out. Nawaz didn't even have half a second from the time he looked up till the ball was released. Idiotic to say that he was ready
    Last edited by Saj; 22nd November 2021 at 23:54.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muqarrab View Post
    Its a legal delivery. Saqlain used to bowl this too.
    Legal from point of delivery. Illegal because batsman was not ready. So illegal.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the video.
    It's clear from this video that Nawaz was taken by surprise.
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 22nd November 2021 at 23:52.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ball was legal. But Nawaz just looked up as ball was released. Even though Nawaz could have played it he is completely in his rights to leave it. A batsmen should have full right to see the run up before ball is delivered.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just astonished. So poor from Newaz! How he could do that?! What the umpire did there? This was Out Out and Out.

Mahmudullah didn't show sportsmanship. He just allowed an unfair thing to do. How a batsman can do back away after bowler has swung his arm and the ball is in the air on the pitch? This is poor from icc. What was icc doing ?!

Newz and Pakistan has cheated. This along with the Rashid Latif incident - I just can't forget.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainul View Post
    I was just astonished. So poor from Newaz! How he could do that?! What the umpire did there? This was Out Out and Out.

Mahmudullah didn't show sportsmanship. He just allowed an unfair thing to do. How a batsman can do back away after bowler has swung his arm and the ball is in the air on the pitch? This is poor from icc. What was icc doing ?!

Newz and Pakistan has cheated. This along with the Rashid Latif incident - I just can't forget.
    While Rashid Latif incident was cheating, I don't think this was cheating.

It was one of those 50-50 (grey) situations. Dead ball was the right call in the end.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please see the full video just a few posts above. If it were a Bangladeshi batsman, you would never accept it as legal. Also hear the spontaneous reactions of the commentators.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post

It was one of those 50-50 (grey) situations. Dead ball was the right call in the end.
    It was not 50:50 as per the video. Clearly a dead ball. But excellent of Mahmudullah who didnít make a big deal out of it.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly the emotions are getting the better of your. Please look at the video again and see how much time Nawaz had from when he looked up to when the ball was released - not even have a second.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Mahmudullah deserves a lot of credit for some great sportsmanship for agreeing to re-bowl the last ball. Quite a few bowlers in that situation would have said tough mate, you weren't ready that is your problem, that is out.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please see the full video just a few posts above. If it were a Bangladeshi batsman, you would never accept it as legal. Also hear the spontaneous reactions of the commentators.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Clearly the emotions are getting the better of your. Please look at the video again and see how much time Nawaz had from when he looked up to when the ball was released - not even have a second.
    My answer will be the same

I have watched the footage 6 times very attentively and every time I have got the same understanding. Newaz wasn't in a position at that moment to back away. The ball was already delivered and the ball travelled almost half of the pitch. Just commonse sense is applied to decide a batsman has no right whatsoever to back away at that moment.

Just watch as neutral. U will get the answer

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have watched the footage 6 times very attentively and every time I have got the same understanding. Newaz wasn't in a position at that moment to back away. The ball was already delivered and the ball travelled almost half of the pitch. Just commonse sense is applied to decide a batsman has no right whatsoever to back away at that moment.

May I suggest you pay a visit to Specsavers?!!

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who says a batsmen must face the ball if he sees it released. He could have played a shot but he did the right thing to leave it. He is completely in his rights to see run up, delivery and release of ball.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesnít matter where the ball is when he backs away. It matters whether he was ready before the ball was delivered. You can see in the video he wasnít ready. He looked up when ball was already on the way. It wonít be accepted as a legal delivery.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Mahmudullah deserves a lot of credit for some great sportsmanship for agreeing to re-bowl the last ball. Quite a few bowlers in that situation would have said tough mate, you weren't ready that is your problem, that is out.
    Credit to Mahmudullah but I think the ump would have overruled him anyway.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nawaz literally looked up the second the ball released from Mahmudullah's hands. Of course he had no time to react and as such the ball was illegal by reason of batsman not being ready.

People who are commenting that he had so much time before the ball pitched clearly have no idea how fast a ball moves and what a normal human's reaction times are.

Misbah, Wahab, Junaid, Root, Williamson fan.
    T20 isn't Cricket

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was out. Pakistan cheated a win and showed a complete lack of sportsmanship.

Pathetic.
    Watch the video again. Nawaz takes guard and keeps his head down. When he looks up Mahmadullah was half way through his action trying to catch him off guard.

Debut
    Aug 2008
    Venue
    Toronto, Ont
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Thank you for the video.
    It's clear from this video that Nawaz was taken by surprise.
    Clearly not out.
    Stop at 5 secs (batsman was looking away) and 6 secs (bowler had already released the bowl

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was out. Pakistan cheated a win and showed a complete lack of sportsmanship.

Pathetic.
    20.4.2.5 the striker is not ready for the delivery of the ball and, if the ball is delivered, makes no attempt to play it. Provided the umpire is satisfied that the striker had adequate reason for not being ready, the ball shall not count as one of the over.

The only thing pathetic is your obsession with trying to find ways to discredit the victory (and claiming PCB should issue an apology?)
    Nawaz was well within his rights to not play a delivery he was not ready for. I'm glad he didn't get flustered and hurried in to a shot in the heat of the moment.
    If the bowler was also ok with the umpire's ruling what's the issue?

Debut
    Aug 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legal from point of delivery. Illegal because batsman was not ready. So illegal.
    How is the batsman not ready?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1033 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hmm i watched this again and again.

I will be taking a u turn here. It seems it was an unfair delivery by Mahmadullah. Nawaz was taken by surprise, as soon as he raised his head the bowler threw it.

Mahmudullah lost his chance there

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhmm no, its not a street cricket game. Its an international game played according the rules and there are umpires.

Nawaz was not out.

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was silly of Nawaz to think he can just take his sweet time for a final delivery. Spinners can bowl their overs in the blink of an eye.

Hopefully Nawaz learns from this and doesn't do something silly against bigger teams especially in a knockout match.

Remember, Hafeez did something similar by bowling some weird ball which was hit for Six by Warner and eventually that made a difference in the end.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BDfanforever View Post
    It was silly of Nawaz to think he can just take his sweet time for a final delivery. Spinners can bowl their overs in the blink of an eye.

Hopefully Nawaz learns from this and doesn't do something silly against bigger teams especially in a knockout match.

Remember, Hafeez did something similar by bowling some weird ball which was hit for Six by Warner and eventually that made a difference in the end.
    Sweet time? He hadn't faced a single delivery. He marked his guard like any batsman would before they bat.

Looked up and the ball is already out of the bowlers hand. Ridiculous

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umpire made the decision that its a dead ball so it was a dead ball

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2880 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    "I was looking down at that point and when I looked up he had delivered the ball to me and the ball was half-way up to me at that point so I stopped him" : Mohammad Nawaz

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you describe this then?

This was not called a no-ball.

I have also seen this type of delivery during the recent World T20. No-ball wasn't called.
    That is a one off where the ump prob got lost in translation.

The player/delivery you are refferencing from this t20 wc is from scottish mark watt, he was releasing the ball from the first crease line, imran tahir has a knack to do that aswell and many others have done so without issues. Here mahmudullah had pitched it from behind the ump, so as soon as nawaz looked up the ball had already bounced and was smilimg at him. Hence that is the reason why the ump called it a dead ball/not out, and that is also why mahmudullah quietly accepted the decision as he was trying to pull a fast one.

However, yes, its easy to make it look like either scenario in hindsight. What would really be great is that MCC takes a look into this and adopts a clear cut and written out rule of from where a bowler can bowl to erradicate of any further headaches and make a certain limitation legal or illegal.
    Last edited by MenInG; 23rd November 2021 at 08:42.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a one off where the ump prob got lost in translation.

The player/delivery you are refferencing from this t20 wc is from scottish mark watt, he was releasing the ball from the first crease line, imran tahir has a knack to do that aswell and many others have done so without issues. Here mahmudullah had pitched it from behind the ump, so as soon as nawaz looked up the ball had already bounced and was smilimg at him. Hence that is the reason why the ump called it a dead ball/not out, and that is also why mahmudullah quietly accepted the decision as he was trying to pull a fast one.

However, yes, its easy to make it look like either scenario in hindsight. What would really be great is that MCC takes a look into this and adopts a clear cut and written out rule of from where a bowler can bowl to erradicate of any further headaches and make a certain limitation legal or illegal.
    Mahmudullah didn't bowl from behind the umpire. Check post #109 for the video.

I agree with you that MCC should be clear about this rule. This is currently not clearly defined.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypathan View Post
    Out without any doubts. Poor from Nawaz and very good sportsmanship from
    Mahmudullah to just bowl it again

How is that out?
    He moved away and raised his arms, it will be no ball every time.
    Mohd Nawaz saw the trick Mahmudullah did and countered it by refusal to play.
    If Mohd Nawaz played that ball normally and then complained afterwards that he was surprised or tricked than it is a different matter.

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Venue
    MN, US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNightWatchman View Post
    20.4.2.5 the striker is not ready for the delivery of the ball and, if the ball is delivered, makes no attempt to play it. Provided the umpire is satisfied that the striker had adequate reason for not being ready, the ball shall not count as one of the over.

The only thing pathetic is your obsession with trying to find ways to discredit the victory (and claiming PCB should issue an apology?)
    Nawaz was well within his rights to not play a delivery he was not ready for. I'm glad he didn't get flustered and hurried in to a shot in the heat of the moment.
    If the bowler was also ok with the umpire's ruling what's the issue?
    This proves that it is an illegal delivery.
    Extremely Cheap from Mahmudullah. He tried to cheat by trying to bowling behind stumps and catch Nawaz off guard while Nawaz is not ready. Why else would Mahmudullah bowl behind stumps. I don't understand why people are calling for his great sportsmanship, Mahmudullah knew what he did was unsportsmanlike went back to his delivery run-up. According to above rule, Umpire rightly called it a dead ball.

Unfortunately, that just shows the current Bangladesh cricket setup's mentality and hence, their failure to win anything outside their home conditions.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketAXEpert View Post
    How is that out?
    He moved away and raised his arms, it will be no ball every time.
    Mohd Nawaz saw the trick Mahmudullah did and countered it by refusal to play.
    If Mohd Nawaz played that ball normally and then complained afterwards that he was surprised or tricked than it is a different matter.
    Correction it will be dead ball.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Illegal delivery or not. A batsman can move away to get a dead ball.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I could think of some teams who would have said, no, that's out.
    Definitely not the "elite" team?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great tactic by Mahmadullah. He caught Nawaz off guard.

This is 100% out.

Shame on Nawaz and hats off to Mahmadullah for showing great sportsman spirit.
    If you are 100% out can the opposition still give you a second chance and reverse it?
    D
    I donít think so. It was the umpire who did not give Nawaz out and not Mahmadullah.

Mahmadullah did not make a big deal out of it, thatís where you could say he showed sportsmanship
    Last edited by Sirris; 23rd November 2021 at 04:44.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Im with nawaz here Judging from the video It clearly shows nawaz looking down n by the time he looked up the bowler was delivering the ball

The umpire should really be sticking his hand out holding the bowler back until the batsman is looking up ready for the bowler

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The on-field umpire was not neutral?

BD players have such little self-respect that they are easily going to back off without appealing or protesting for a match deciding moment and that too in their home?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BD players are known for taking their cricket seriously and being emotionally charged up.

There is no way the keeper and all the others BD players would have reacted in such a soft way over a match deciding moment at home, if they honestly thought Nawaz was out.

Look at the keepers reaction, he immediately accepts umpires decision for calling it a dead ball.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirris View Post
    If you are 100% out can the opposition still give you a second chance and reverse it?
    D
    I don’t think so. It was the umpire who did not give Nawaz out and not Mahmadullah.

Mahmadullah did not make a big deal out of it, that’s where you could say he showed sportsmanship
    That's the point many seem to be missing. Nothing to do with Mahmadullah's sportsmanship, the umpire made the decision immediately that it's a dead ball.

In fact, it could be more easily argued that he was being unsportsmanlike in trying to bowl the ball so early and catching Nawaz when he wasn't ready on the most crucial ball of the match.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching the reply, it seemed like it was out as Nawaz pulled out after the delivery was bowled.

But, it's okay. Game is over now. Captain Mahmudullah was fine with it.
    Okay. I change my view after watching the replay a few more times. I initially thought it was out.

Nawaz didn't seem ready. So, it was obviously not out and it was rightfully called a dead ball.

Mahmudullah's delivery was legal (he bowled in front of umpire) but it was a dead ball due to the fact Nawaz wasn't ready.
    Last edited by sweep_shot; 23rd November 2021 at 06:12.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankyou for the clip. I advise everyone to actually watch the incident before commenting on it.

Mahmudullah tried doing 2 things here.

1. Bowl behind the stumps , perfectly legal

2. Run in quickly while the batsman was looking down, and just as he looked up, deliver the ball

Number 2 is just not on.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearly not out.

Also last I checked its the umpires who are responsible for making decisions.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 23rd November 2021 at 09:47.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was poor umpiring that allowed this thing to happen. The umpire is responsible for holding the bowler back until the batsman is ready. He was not paying attention and didn't have his hand infront of Mahmudullah.

He knew he messed up which is why he immediately called it a dead ball.

And looking at the replay Nawaz was clearly not ready when the ball was delivered. So I really don't see what the controversy is.

Seems something made-up by the fans. Because neither the Bangladesh players nor the umpires had any issue with it.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 23rd November 2021 at 09:54.