Is Shaheen Shah Afridi now at the start of the peak period in his career?


Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 173
  1. #1
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    1,434
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Is Shaheen Shah Afridi now at the start of the peak period in his career?

    He seems to be on top of his bowling at the moment. He was always a world class bowler, but mashaAllah now he seems a genuine wicket taking option in all formats.

    Every world class bowler goes through a phase where they look genuinely on top of their game. We have seen it with Rabada bowling SA to a series victory in Australia a few years back.

    Of course as a Pakistani fan I genuinely hope Shaheen stays fit and in form to play for a number of years for Pakistan. But do you think he has now entered the peak of his career?

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    37,363
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is mentally 13 years old but one quality he does have is the ability to fight for his team when they are up against the ropes. Genuine wicket taker when he is fully focussed and his team needs him to produce something special

    I’m hoping for him to open the bowling tomorrow and snap up a couple more in the first spell

  3. #3
    Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    1,090
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not yet....but he's certainly maturing as a bowler.

    He's only gonna get better with experience

  4. #4
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    28,049
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    SSA strength is attacking stumps this means that the Captain must make sure square leg is back from the start and he isnt fearful of conceding runs. Although i havent seen him in this test, in NZ he was bowling on or outside off stump and the NZ batsman were playing him with ease. He must be encouraged to attack middle and leg and then the one that goes straight on will take the edge

  5. #5
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbh he has done a lot of minnow bashing


    Averages against bottom teams

    WI/ 11.27
    ZIM/ 16.4
    BAN/ 16.8
    SL/ 23.2
    SA/ 27.3

    Averages against top teams
    AUS/ 36.8
    NZ/ 43.7
    ENG/ 51.6


    Against top teams AUS, ENG and NZ (excluding India as they donít play), he averages 44.00

    Against bottom teams, he averages 18.7

    Thatís some significant minnow bashing there

  6. #6
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    20,869
    Mentioned
    542 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He seems to be at the top of his game.

    But, his real test should be against SENA teams in SENA countries.


    Bangladeshi Guy

  7. #7
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In 2022 heís gonna play 7 matches against ENA. If he does well against them then we can say he has improved, if not itís just pure minnow bashing and nothing else

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    46,541
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He is prodigiously talented, particularly when he gets it swinging in to right-handed batters which is a rare skill. He will have success against SENA imo.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    1,432
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    In 2022 heís gonna play 7 matches against ENA. If he does well against them then we can say he has improved, if not itís just pure minnow bashing and nothing else
    Probably 8 matches, if I'm not wrong. 3 vs Aus, 3 vs Eng & 2 vs NZ.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChTab View Post
    Probably 8 matches, if I'm not wrong. 3 vs Aus, 3 vs Eng & 2 vs NZ.
    Yes youíre right

  11. #11
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    14,301
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    Tbh he has done a lot of minnow bashing


    Averages against bottom teams

    WI/ 11.27
    ZIM/ 16.4
    BAN/ 16.8
    SL/ 23.2
    SA/ 27.3

    Averages against top teams
    AUS/ 36.8
    NZ/ 43.7
    ENG/ 51.6


    Against top teams AUS, ENG and NZ (excluding India as they don’t play), he averages 44.00

    Against bottom teams, he averages 18.7

    That’s some significant minnow bashing there
    Home or away stats ?

  12. #12
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Home or away stats ?
    Both. Tbh he has only played one test against ENA at home (vs NZ in 2018). That was his debut test match if I am not wrong
    Last edited by Kohli, The King of Chase; 28th November 2021 at 20:16.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    14,301
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He isn't at his peek yet.he needs to perform against Australia and New Zealand and needs to improve on the ball moving away.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    4,638
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The question was is he at peak now, not when he played ENA teams. I believe he is still has quite a bit to learn and adapt to but he is producing some good results against the teams he is played this year. Looks to ha e huge potential to be atleast Pakistani great

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Los Santos
    Runs
    2,665
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's only 21, your peak as a bowler goes from 24-30

  16. #16
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,744
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He has been forced into being the leader of this attack at the tender age of 21 thanks to Amirs retirement.

    His pace and swing and strength has definitely improved compared to 2018-19. Will be excited to see him at around 24-25 when bowlers are actually at their peak

  17. #17
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    8,235
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    no, hes still got significant room for improvement, namely consistency and perhaps if he could bowl cutters it couldn complement his inswinger well.

    what he desperately needs is a good spinner, otherwise i see him being ground down trying to fill overs for rubbish spinners on dead pitches.

    fast bowlers tend to flourish when they hve a spinner they trust at the other end.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,677
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He is yet to enter his peak. He has the potential to become the best bowler in the world. We haven't seen the best of him in Test cricket yet.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    28,049
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    He's only 21, your peak as a bowler goes from 24-30
    He probably is around 24

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    7,207
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. He is capable of much, much more.

    Its wonderful seeing him develop but I think we need to give him a bit more time to hone his skills. I find it very hard to believe how he won't be the best in the world after a certain point. Because he has all the tools to become that.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 28th November 2021 at 22:08.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Apr 2021
    Runs
    828
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    He probably is around 24
    He’s 23 at a stretch. No way 24. Seems like we have age experts here too.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    18,445
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He needs to perform against bigger teams in test cricket.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    3,106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No he is still developing.
    he could be pretty menacing at his peak.

    his real test in test matches is gonna come soon when aus, nz and eng tour pakistan.


    he needs to be taken care of properly to ensure he doesnt get any major injuries

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    42,496
    Mentioned
    576 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    His peak is yet to come.

    There's a lot of natural strength and consistency to be gained as Shaheen grows older. I would imagine his peak will come when he's 23-26.


    May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    28,049
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakEngFan View Post
    He’s 23 at a stretch. No way 24. Seems like we have age experts here too.
    Most of our guys are around 3 years older than claimed. If he is as claimed then he will be one of the few. Shadab is 4 years older

  26. #26
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    28,049
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    He needs to perform against bigger teams in test cricket.
    He will do, just needs to attack the stumps. He will go for more runs but will get good batsman out.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Oct 2021
    Runs
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    In 2022 he’s gonna play 7 matches against ENA. If he does well against them then we can say he has improved, if not it’s just pure minnow bashing and nothing else
    I agree that if he performs well against England and Australia, it will definitely be a sign of improvement. Is that the only criteria for improvement though? Anyone that's been watching Shaheen bowl since the beginning of his career will be able to tell that he's a lot more threatening now, get a lot more movement. No need to over-simplify the situation into yes/no.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    4,521
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I so want to keep him away from the abomination that T20 cricket is as it'll destroy his basics. T20 should be played by bowlers like Rumman Raees, who are highly skilled at bowling slower cutters, back of the hand slower ball, slow loopy bouncers, wide off stump yorkers, etc; bowling 145+ in T20 where a batter can casually scoop you over fine leg is the perfect recipe for killing the confidence of a genuine fast bowler.

    He's unique in our system because we rarely get tall bowlers and he has that box checked. His spell against New Zealand in the 2019 world cup is the perfect template for him to copy in both 50 over cricket and test cricket. The board should compensate him for not playing useless league cricket as he's a diamond in the rough and should be used like how Australia has used Cummins in the recent past.

    Shaheen, Arshad, and Akif are three tall bowlers that should be developed into test specialists and be paid heavily for that. We really need to win tests in Australia and to a certain extent, South Africa to give our cricket some credibility and dignity and these guys can help us achieve this holy grail.


    Azaadi. InshAllah.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,744
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If he can add an outswinger with the new ball which he can control at will and can learn to reverse swing the ball both ways he will be a formidable force.

    He has improved tremendously since 2018. His pace is up by 10 km/hr, he has developed a sharp rising heavy bouncer, he has developed a pacy late inswinger with the new ball. Has plenty of room to further develop

  30. #30
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,465
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The signs are there regarding his improvement. His big test will be SeNA as well as tests where they don't get early break through. So he needs to come back spell after spell with an old ball

  31. #31
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    6,400
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    His best is yet to come. He should keep on working on his skills. 85-90mph is ideal pace for him.

    Should stay away from T20 crap and focus on Tests/ODIs.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2021
    Venue
    Nagpur
    Runs
    584
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is certainly improving day by day. But, i can't recall any of his good performance against big teams. Currently his numbers are highly impressive only because of playing more matches against Windies, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    6,775
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    He is mentally 13 years old but one quality he does have is the ability to fight for his team when they are up against the ropes. Genuine wicket taker when he is fully focussed and his team needs him to produce something special

    I’m hoping for him to open the bowling tomorrow and snap up a couple more in the first spell
    Hmmm, started sulking when Hasan dropped his catch in the semis and proceeded to lose his composure. Yes once he matures a bit more, potential to be the real deal.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    44,701
    Mentioned
    407 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased-Fan View Post
    He is certainly improving day by day. But, i can't recall any of his good performance against big teams. Currently his numbers are highly impressive only because of playing more matches against Windies, Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.
    3 wickets vs India? Forgot?

  35. #35
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    183,402
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)



    Pakistan paceman Shaheen Shah Afridi was subjected to cruel taunts from the Chattogram crowd throughout the first Test against Bangladesh – but the left-arm quick responded in fine fashion.

    Whenever Afridi was near the boundary at Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium on Sunday, Bangladesh fans were overheard chanting “Matthew Wade”, a harsh reminder of the Australian’s T20 World Cup semi-final heroics.

    Watch every ball of India‘s Test Series with New Zealand Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >

    Wade smacked three consecutive sixes in the penultimate over of the thrilling run chase against Pakistan earlier this month, helping Australia secure its place in a T20 World Cup final for the first time in 11 years.

    Afridi was the luckless bowler at the other end.

    Pakistan were unbeaten during the Super 12 stage of the T20 tournament, comprehensively defeating favourites India by 10 wickets to send an early warning to the rest of the competition.

    Afridi claimed three wickets during the triumph over their subcontinent rivals, but the cricket world has a short attention span, and his T20 World Cup campaign will forever be remembered for that one fateful over in the semi-final.

    Bangladesh’s cricket fans couldn’t resist rubbing salt into the wounds whenever the left-arm quick was within earshot – but Afridi got the last laugh.

    The 21-year-old claimed three wickets late on day three to leave the hosts reeling at 4/39 at stumps.

    In the fifth over of Bangladesh’s innings, Afridi trapped opener Shadman Islam LBW before knocking over No. 3 batter Najmul Hossain Shanto two deliveries later.

    He returned after the drinks break to remove Saif Hassan for 18 as well, giving him stellar figures of 3/6 off six overs.

    Afridi has taken 42 Test wickets at 17.66 in 2021, equal with Indian spinner Ravichandran Ashwin for most in the calendar year.


    Most Test wickets in 2021

    42 – Shaheen Shah Afridi (PAK)

    42 – Ravichandran Ashwin (IND)

    38 – Hasan Ali (PAK)

    32 – Axar Patel (IND)

    32 – James Anderson (ENG)

    Bangladesh will resume on day four with a lead of 83 and six wickets in hand – Mushfiqur Rahim and debutant Yasir Ali are unbeaten overnight on 12 and 8 respectively.

    Earlier in the first Test, Bangladesh’s Taijul Islam claimed his ninth five-wicket haul while Pakistan’s Abid Ali hit a century – the fourth of his Test career.

    https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...17b2eeebce7eee
    Last edited by MenInG; 29th November 2021 at 07:52.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  36. #36
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    18,440
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe his peak is now, he is at least 26-28 years old imo.. However it is unfortunate Pakistan is not getting any quality oppositions for him to prove himself..


    "You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

  37. #37
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,677
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post



    Pakistan paceman Shaheen Shah Afridi was subjected to cruel taunts from the Chattogram crowd throughout the first Test against Bangladesh – but the left-arm quick responded in fine fashion.

    Whenever Afridi was near the boundary at Zahur Ahmed Chowdhury Stadium on Sunday, Bangladesh fans were overheard chanting “Matthew Wade”, a harsh reminder of the Australian’s T20 World Cup semi-final heroics.

    Watch every ball of India‘s Test Series with New Zealand Live & On-Demand on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >

    Wade smacked three consecutive sixes in the penultimate over of the thrilling run chase against Pakistan earlier this month, helping Australia secure its place in a T20 World Cup final for the first time in 11 years.

    Afridi was the luckless bowler at the other end.

    Pakistan were unbeaten during the Super 12 stage of the T20 tournament, comprehensively defeating favourites India by 10 wickets to send an early warning to the rest of the competition.

    Afridi claimed three wickets during the triumph over their subcontinent rivals, but the cricket world has a short attention span, and his T20 World Cup campaign will forever be remembered for that one fateful over in the semi-final.

    Bangladesh’s cricket fans couldn’t resist rubbing salt into the wounds whenever the left-arm quick was within earshot – but Afridi got the last laugh.

    The 21-year-old claimed three wickets late on day three to leave the hosts reeling at 4/39 at stumps.

    In the fifth over of Bangladesh’s innings, Afridi trapped opener Shadman Islam LBW before knocking over No. 3 batter Najmul Hossain Shanto two deliveries later.

    He returned after the drinks break to remove Saif Hassan for 18 as well, giving him stellar figures of 3/6 off six overs.

    Afridi has taken 42 Test wickets at 17.66 in 2021, equal with Indian spinner Ravichandran Ashwin for most in the calendar year.


    Most Test wickets in 2021

    42 – Shaheen Shah Afridi (PAK)

    42 – Ravichandran Ashwin (IND)

    38 – Hasan Ali (PAK)

    32 – Axar Patel (IND)

    32 – James Anderson (ENG)

    Bangladesh will resume on day four with a lead of 83 and six wickets in hand – Mushfiqur Rahim and debutant Yasir Ali are unbeaten overnight on 12 and 8 respectively.

    Earlier in the first Test, Bangladesh’s Taijul Islam claimed his ninth five-wicket haul while Pakistan’s Abid Ali hit a century – the fourth of his Test career.

    https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...17b2eeebce7eee
    Oohh.. That's spicy from the Bangla fans

    Shouldn't have ruffled Shaheen's feathers

  38. #38
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    136
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    Tbh he has done a lot of minnow bashing


    Averages against bottom teams

    WI/ 11.27
    ZIM/ 16.4
    BAN/ 16.8
    SL/ 23.2
    SA/ 27.3

    Averages against top teams
    AUS/ 36.8
    NZ/ 43.7
    ENG/ 51.6


    Against top teams AUS, ENG and NZ (excluding India as they donít play), he averages 44.00

    Against bottom teams, he averages 18.7

    Thatís some significant minnow bashing there
    Lol South Africa arenít minnows theyíre just going through a rebuilding phase and both the tests they lost in pak werenít as one sided as the scorelines suggested. One more partnership and they wouldíve made that test interesting on the last day. They were also unlucky to miss out on a semi final spot in the T20 World Cup aswell.

    Even Sri Lanka at home arenít minnows... they beat Aus, Eng, Sa and Pak at home on their last tours and gave NZ a fight with a draw.

    Shaheens numbers arenít as good vs Aus/Eng and NZ cause heís only played them in 1 series each as a youngster and it was his first time in different conditions and this was when he was forced to bear the pressure of the bowing attack leader by Misbah when Amir and Wahab retired before the Australia tour. The whole bowling attack was horrible in that series to be fair.

    He will be good on his next tours against the bigger teams cause he has played a decent amount of cricket all around the world in the last few years. Iím sure heíll be the pick of the bowlers in SENA conditions too. He knows his strengths and Waqar isnít there anymore to ruin youngsters early in their careers.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    483
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti View Post
    I believe his peak is now, he is at least 26-28 years old imo.. However it is unfortunate Pakistan is not getting any quality oppositions for him to prove himself..
    It's almost impossible for the facial structure to change or mature like Shaheen's has if he was in the age bracket that you proposed. Much like Hasnain, I believe Shaheen is truly 21.

    Just look at the pictures of Shaheen from when he burst on the scene (2017) and compare him to now. That's a genuine 17 year old maturing to a 21 year old (or very close to it).

  40. #40
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,677
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    A lot of Pak players are probably older than what their records show but don't think Shaheen is one of those. He looks genuine for his age.

  41. #41
    Debut
    Oct 2021
    Venue
    Nagpur
    Runs
    584
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    3 wickets vs India? Forgot?
    I'm talking about tests..

  42. #42
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    452
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even close to his peak.

    man still doesn't know how to swing the ball away. Once he learn to the swing it both ways then batsmen are going to be in a heap of trouble.

    As for the usual crowd claiming him to be over age, you have to know the background of each player before such ridiculous stuff.

    Shaheen's brother is a former cricketer, thus it would easily known if SHaheen was over age, also not to mention the fact that NADRA has been getting better/more stricter for guys from KPK due to illegal afghanis, thus age fudging is considerably harder.
    Last edited by Sycamore; 29th November 2021 at 11:15.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    183,402
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    136
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sycamore View Post
    Not even close to his peak.

    man still doesn't know how to swing the ball away. Once he learn to the swing it both ways then batsmen are going to be in a heap of trouble.

    As for the usual crowd claiming him to be over age, you have to know the background of each player before such ridiculous stuff.

    Shaheen's brother is a former cricketer, thus it would easily known if SHaheen was over age, also not to mention the fact that NADRA has been getting better/more stricter for guys from KPK due to illegal afghanis, thus age fudging is considerably harder.
    Agree with this Shaheen actually looks like he is in the early 20s so 21 seems correct. People are thinking about the previous Shahid Afridi era where age fudging was common. I believe that 90% of the current Pakistan squad are their correct ages, we already know Shoaib Malik is 3 years older than whatís listed and there might be a few others but the majority are fine. Look at the Afghanistan team though with Rashid claiming to be 23 while he is actually 9 years older as per Nadraís database. They also lie about their birthplaces trying to hide their Pakistani identities.

    Nadra might be getting strict on people in KPK but they are still very incompetent like the rest of the government. I was applying for a NICOP ID last month as I am a NZ born overseas Pakistani and the whole process was an absolute nightmare. I had given all the correct details and they called me several times in the middle of the night (4am) for a ďinterviewĒ where they asked dumb questions I had already answered. To sort it out they asked for my login details (username and password) so they could fix it from ďtheir endĒ. Which government agencies do that!?! I told them there was an 8 hr time difference but they called me at 4am again the next day...

    Then on my nicop card they missed out my fathers surname and put my grandfathers first name. I donít think they understood that in the west the surname is passed on and you donít just put your fathers/spouses first name as your surname..... Absolute shambles, took over a month to sort out!!!!

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    1,018
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    Tbh he has done a lot of minnow bashing


    Averages against bottom teams

    WI/ 11.27
    ZIM/ 16.4
    BAN/ 16.8
    SL/ 23.2
    SA/ 27.3

    Averages against top teams
    AUS/ 36.8
    NZ/ 43.7
    ENG/ 51.6


    Against top teams AUS, ENG and NZ (excluding India as they don’t play), he averages 44.00

    Against bottom teams, he averages 18.7

    That’s some significant minnow bashing there
    Wow, bit harsh don't you think?

    The guy hasn't even played test cricket for 3 years yet, only has 19 matches under his belt.

    Not sure how SA is a minnow exactly
    WI and SL are hardly minnows either, maybe you don't know what that term means.

    He has already played 8 matches against NZ/Eng/Aus at such a young age in a relatively weak away test side (Pakistan). In terms of his peak, it will likely arrive at 25-30 as it does for most fast bowlers, so he hasn't even bowled at his best at them.

    In terms of the thread, Shaheen has a long way to go, both in terms of physicality and skill before he reaches his peak. 25-20 is usually an athletes peak, especially for fast bowlers. He still has to develop a better away swinger and a better ability to bowl with the older ball. This will take time but the skies the limit!

  46. #46
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastimasti View Post
    Wow, bit harsh don't you think?

    The guy hasn't even played test cricket for 3 years yet, only has 19 matches under his belt.

    Not sure how SA is a minnow exactly
    WI and SL are hardly minnows either, maybe you don't know what that term means.

    He has already played 8 matches against NZ/Eng/Aus at such a young age in a relatively weak away test side (Pakistan). In terms of his peak, it will likely arrive at 25-30 as it does for most fast bowlers, so he hasn't even bowled at his best at them.

    In terms of the thread, Shaheen has a long way to go, both in terms of physicality and skill before he reaches his peak. 25-20 is usually an athletes peak, especially for fast bowlers. He still has to develop a better away swinger and a better ability to bowl with the older ball. This will take time but the skies the limit!
    I never said SA is a minnow. Wasted ur time by typing paragraphs, assuming I did. Kindly read and try to comprehend before you type something
    Last edited by Kohli, The King of Chase; 29th November 2021 at 16:01.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manzy2599 View Post
    Lol South Africa arenít minnows theyíre just going through a rebuilding phase and both the tests they lost in pak werenít as one sided as the scorelines suggested. One more partnership and they wouldíve made that test interesting on the last day. They were also unlucky to miss out on a semi final spot in the T20 World Cup aswell.

    Even Sri Lanka at home arenít minnows... they beat Aus, Eng, Sa and Pak at home on their last tours and gave NZ a fight with a draw.

    Shaheens numbers arenít as good vs Aus/Eng and NZ cause heís only played them in 1 series each as a youngster and it was his first time in different conditions and this was when he was forced to bear the pressure of the bowing attack leader by Misbah when Amir and Wahab retired before the Australia tour. The whole bowling attack was horrible in that series to be fair.

    He will be good on his next tours against the bigger teams cause he has played a decent amount of cricket all around the world in the last few years. Iím sure heíll be the pick of the bowlers in SENA conditions too. He knows his strengths and Waqar isnít there anymore to ruin youngsters early in their careers.
    I never said theyíre minnows. Kindly read before your type something

  48. #48
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    473
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    Tbh he has done a lot of minnow bashing


    Averages against bottom teams

    WI/ 11.27
    ZIM/ 16.4
    BAN/ 16.8
    SL/ 23.2
    SA/ 27.3

    Averages against top teams
    AUS/ 36.8
    NZ/ 43.7
    ENG/ 51.6


    Against top teams AUS, ENG and NZ (excluding India as they donít play), he averages 44.00

    Against bottom teams, he averages 18.7

    Thatís some significant minnow bashing there
    So important to use data with proper context.
    Shaheen practically debuted FC against these guys at age of 19/20. Series vs Aus and Eng were Shaheenís first set of first class games because he started with no FC experience behind him.
    I think he started to find his feet from SA series and hasnít really looked back since.
    An average of 11 in WI vs WI is an extraordinary performance and SA is not a minnow side. Heís also killing it in Bangladesh currently on pitches not really known for fast bowling.
    Iíd wait to see how he does in SENA on next visits!

  49. #49
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farabi View Post
    So important to use data with proper context.
    Shaheen practically debuted FC against these guys at age of 19/20. Series vs Aus and Eng were Shaheenís first set of first class games because he started with no FC experience behind him.
    I think he started to find his feet from SA series and hasnít really looked back since.
    An average of 11 in WI vs WI is an extraordinary performance and SA is not a minnow side. Heís also killing it in Bangladesh currently on pitches not really known for fast bowling.
    Iíd wait to see how he does in SENA on next visits!
    I never said SA is a minnow. Good that u wasted ur time and energy. Should have done some comprehension of what I said

  50. #50
    Debut
    Apr 2021
    Runs
    828
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti View Post
    I believe his peak is now, he is at least 26-28 years old imo.. However it is unfortunate Pakistan is not getting any quality oppositions for him to prove himself..
    Lol 26 or 28 why stop here why not 36. If he’s 26 -28 then he’s the youngest of that age I have ever seen.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    1,018
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    I never said SA is a minnow. Wasted ur time by typing paragraphs, assuming I did. Kindly read and try to comprehend before you type something
    You said "tbh he has done a lot of minnow bashing" then proceeded to list some countries and ranked SA alongside Bang and Zimb...in all honesty, Zimb is the only minnow, but there's a case for Bang too. But his performances against SA, SL and WI are pretty good to exceptional, so not exactly "a lot of" minnow bashing.


  52. #52
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastimasti View Post
    You said "tbh he has done a lot of minnow bashing" then proceeded to list some countries and ranked SA alongside Bang and Zimb...in all honesty, Zimb is the only minnow, but there's a case for Bang too. But his performances against SA, SL and WI are pretty good to exceptional, so not exactly "a lot of" minnow bashing.

    Lol now u twisted my words. I said lot of minnow bashing. I didnít say only minnow bashing. Learn you comprehend. I never said SA is a minnow.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    631
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indians calling Shaheen Minnow basher will fall on their faces in near future. Shaheen played against top tiers teams when he was still a teenager with rookie skills, he had no 88-94 mph range that he is armed with now, did not have banana swing coming back into the either. So his record against them after single series is what it is. He is obviously going to improve that when he meets them again.

    He has performed against SA, WI, BANG in their homes and has wrecked havocs on top orders of top tier teams in LOIs which is a pretty good hint what is going to happen in near future.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    631
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti View Post
    I believe his peak is now, he is at least 26-28 years old imo.. However it is unfortunate Pakistan is not getting any quality oppositions for him to prove himself..
    since we going by opinions IMO Kohli is 37 at least which is why his hand-eye coordination is gone and he is averaging like 29-30 now in tests for the past 2+ years.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    631
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistanis have more % of steppe genes because of proximity to Iranic plateau which is why our boys from Punjab, Khyber etc develop robust facial features earlier in age and Indians (indic cline facial development legs behind Iranic) start calling pakistanis age fudgers. lol

    One can not compare how boys at 18 will look like in Uttar Pradesh to how same age group boys will look like in FATA.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really good bowling today

  57. #57
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    1,018
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    Lol now u twisted my words. I said lot of minnow bashing. I didn’t say only minnow bashing. Learn you comprehend. I never said SA is a minnow.
    I did not twist any words...you said "tbh he had done A LOT of minnow bashing"...I'd be happy to retratc my post if I quoted you as saying "ONLY" minnow sides.

    So, keeping the "a lot" in mind...you are completely incorrect. He has played maybe 1 or 2 minnow sides. The majority of his games are against solid to very good test teams.

    16 out of 19 completed games to be exact (I have excluded Zimb and Bang, which may be unfair on the latter to label them as minnows, especially at home), and he is averaging 27 with 61 wickets, less than 3 years into his career and only 21 years old.

    It's ok, just admit you made a mistake, did not know what minnow meant or were hasty in using cricinfo stats. It's really not the end of the world but to keep claiming that people are twisting your words is ridiculous.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastimasti View Post
    I did not twist any words...you said "tbh he had done A LOT of minnow bashing"...I'd be happy to retratc my post if I quoted you as saying "ONLY" minnow sides.

    So, keeping the "a lot" in mind...you are completely incorrect. He has played maybe 1 or 2 minnow sides. The majority of his games are against solid to very good test teams.

    16 out of 19 completed games to be exact (I have excluded Zimb and Bang, which may be unfair on the latter to label them as minnows, especially at home), and he is averaging 27 with 61 wickets, less than 3 years into his career and only 21 years old.

    It's ok, just admit you made a mistake, did not know what minnow meant or were hasty in using cricinfo stats. It's really not the end of the world but to keep claiming that people are twisting your words is ridiculous.
    You questioned how is South Africa a minnow? And I never said it, lol. Youíre the one who is completely wrong coz u donít even know how to comprehend. And u accused me of calling South Africa a minnow which I never did, lol. Itís u who need to admit a mistake and lack in comprehension skills not me. Itís insane to have people like u on this forum

  59. #59
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    1,018
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    You questioned how is South Africa a minnow? And I never said it, lol. You’re the one who is completely wrong coz u don’t even know how to comprehend. And u accused me of calling South Africa a minnow which I never did, lol. It’s u who need to admit a mistake and lack in comprehension skills not me. It’s insane to have people like u on this forum
    Ok ballu bahi, you clearly can't admit you're mistake so let me just ask you the question.

    You said "a lot" of minnow bashing. So how many of the 19 tests he has played were played against minnow sides?

  60. #60
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastimasti View Post
    I did not twist any words...you said "tbh he had done A LOT of minnow bashing"...I'd be happy to retratc my post if I quoted you as saying "ONLY" minnow sides.

    So, keeping the "a lot" in mind...you are completely incorrect. He has played maybe 1 or 2 minnow sides. The majority of his games are against solid to very good test teams.

    16 out of 19 completed games to be exact (I have excluded Zimb and Bang, which may be unfair on the latter to label them as minnows, especially at home), and he is averaging 27 with 61 wickets, less than 3 years into his career and only 21 years old.

    It's ok, just admit you made a mistake, did not know what minnow meant or were hasty in using cricinfo stats. It's really not the end of the world but to keep claiming that people are twisting your words is ridiculous.
    You questioned how is South Africa a minnow? When I did not even say that lol. U need some English language training. Itís pathetic to know that u do not even know the difference between ďlotĒ and ďonlyĒ

  61. #61
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastimasti View Post
    Ok ballu bahi, you clearly can't admit you're mistake so let me just ask you the question.

    You said "a lot" of minnow bashing. So how many of the 19 tests he has played were played against minnow sides?
    Okay u just half minded. You did not answer my question yet. I never said SA is a minnow. You need to answer that

  62. #62
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think his biggest challenge will be the 8 matches against ENA.

    If he can average <30 and sr <60, it would mean he has really improved and not just doing some minnow bashing

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    1,018
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    Okay u just half minded. You did not answer my question yet. I never said SA is a minnow. You need to answer that
    I answered several posts back, please go ahead and read it. I will make it easy for you and paste it here:

    "You said "tbh he has done a lot of minnow bashing" then proceeded to list some countries and ranked SA alongside Bang and Zimb...in all honesty, Zimb is the only minnow, but there's a case for Bang too. But his performances against SA, SL and WI are pretty good to exceptional, so not exactly "a lot of" minnow bashing."

    I'm happy if you don't believe SA are minnows and simply listed them alongside Bang and Zimb.

    But we still have my question to answer, as you said "a lot"...yet 16 out of 19 games have NOT being against minnows. So let me repeat dear bahi:

    How many matches has Afridi played against minnows?

  64. #64
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    37,363
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Hmmm, started sulking when Hasan dropped his catch in the semis and proceeded to lose his composure. Yes once he matures a bit more, potential to be the real deal.
    Tbh I don’t really blame him for that

    The game was lost in the over before when Hassan bottled it completely. The drop catch was the final nail in the coffin, even Bumrah may not have been able to recover his side from that position

  65. #65
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastimasti View Post
    I answered several posts back, please go ahead and read it. I will make it easy for you and paste it here:

    "You said "tbh he has done a lot of minnow bashing" then proceeded to list some countries and ranked SA alongside Bang and Zimb...in all honesty, Zimb is the only minnow, but there's a case for Bang too. But his performances against SA, SL and WI are pretty good to exceptional, so not exactly "a lot of" minnow bashing."

    I'm happy if you don't believe SA are minnows and simply listed them alongside Bang and Zimb.

    But we still have my question to answer, as you said "a lot"...yet 16 out of 19 games have NOT being against minnows. So let me repeat dear bahi:

    How many matches has Afridi played against minnows?
    You did not answer. I said ďlotĒ of minnows, I did not say ONLY minnows. And u asked how is South Africa a minnow? When I didnít even call them a minnow. Either accept ur mistake or do not quote me

  66. #66
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    183,402
    Mentioned
    2958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  67. #67
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    14,301
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shaheen has a brilliant in swinging delivery and he now starting to use the bouncer more often.

    Now need to set the batters up by getting the ball to move away then the suprise delivery coming into the batter.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    1,018
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    You did not answer. I said “lot” of minnows, I did not say ONLY minnows. And u asked how is South Africa a minnow? When I didn’t even call them a minnow. Either accept ur mistake or do not quote me
    I'll ask the question again, how many matches has Afridi played against minnows?
    Last edited by Firebat; 30th November 2021 at 05:14.

  69. #69
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    41,744
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Shaheen has a brilliant in swinging delivery and he now starting to use the bouncer more often.

    Now need to set the batters up by getting the ball to move away then the suprise delivery coming into the batter.
    He gets the ball to slightly deviate away from the right hander when he comes around the wicket to the right hander, he struggles to do this from his natural angle. Good teams will eventually know and prepare for his inswinger by adjusting their stance, technique.

    Also i haven't seen any reverse swing from him with the older ball.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    14,301
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    He gets the ball to slightly deviate away from the right hander when he comes around the wicket to the right hander, he struggles to do this from his natural angle. Good teams will eventually know and prepare for his inswinger by adjusting their stance, technique.

    Also i haven't seen any reverse swing from him with the older ball.
    Yes I agree once he starts to move it away from over the wicket then he will be horrible to face.Yup he doesn't know to reverse it but he did say his job is to strike up front hopefully with experience he will be able to learn that.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    892
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shaheen has come a long way. His action looks so much better than when he started first. I still believe he can show some patience and intelligence during pressure situation. He loses the plan a bit when he is under pressure. Prime example is the semi final against Australia and the tail end of the Bangladesh first innings where he experimented too much with the bouncer while the pitched up delivery was getting him the wickets.

    He maybe able to overcome these issues in due time as he is still in his early 20s.
    Last edited by Ozeirk; 30th November 2021 at 08:04.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Los Santos
    Runs
    2,665
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MesonK View Post
    Pakistanis have more % of steppe genes because of proximity to Iranic plateau which is why our boys from Punjab, Khyber etc develop robust facial features earlier in age and Indians (indic cline facial development legs behind Iranic) start calling pakistanis age fudgers. lol

    One can not compare how boys at 18 will look like in Uttar Pradesh to how same age group boys will look like in FATA.
    Bruh lets not make this a racial discussion, people do fudge their ages especially in rural parts of the subcontinent including Afghanistan. I personally believe Shaheen looks his age and his nothing to do with stereotypical facial features, if anything if you're darker and have a full beard like many men from southern Pakistan/Karachi then people think you're older even if you're not rugged looking. Light features are generally seen as youthful.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    1,446
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has peaked already. Now he will go in decline.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    44,609
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He can learn the art of reverse swing as well but frankly i would taka swing with the new ball at the moment.

  75. #75
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    2,518
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mastimasti View Post
    I'll ask the question again, how many matches has Afridi played against minnows?
    I donít want to answer the question when u did big answer mine yet

  76. #76
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    631
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Giannis View Post
    Bruh lets not make this a racial discussion, people do fudge their ages especially in rural parts of the subcontinent including Afghanistan. I personally believe Shaheen looks his age and his nothing to do with stereotypical facial features, if anything if you're darker and have a full beard like many men from southern Pakistan/Karachi then people think you're older even if you're not rugged looking. Light features are generally seen as youthful.
    No one including me talked about races or anything. It is just that I have seen Indians throwing age fudging accusations at anyone with robust Iranic jawline or facial bones. This is funny because with guys like Shami and Munaf patel in India (notorious age fudgers) Indians are as chronic age fudgers as it gets. As soon as an Indian player turns "30" he starts getting grey hairs. What do we make of it?

  77. #77
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    46,541
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollack View Post
    He has peaked already. Now he will go in decline.
    There is of course such thing as an early career peak. I don't see any evidence of this for SSA currently though. He just seems to be warming up as far as I can see.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    7,380
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not there yet, has to perform against better teams and overseas.

  79. #79
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Runs
    15,677
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He's got all the tools to become outrageously good, but I'm afraid he'll not fulfill his talent if Pakistan doesn't play enough Test cricket and uses him as a T20 weapon mainly.

    He's got pace, he's got a deadly inswinger, a killer yorker and a very threatening bouncer due to his height. He lacks a good outswinger but there are many very good test pacers who move the ball only in one direction.

    The thing he needs to learn is consistency in line and length, which is by far the most important skill in Test cricket and which he can learn only when he plays Test cricket or at the very least first class cricket more and more.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    136
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kohli, The King of Chase View Post
    I never said theyíre minnows. Kindly read before your type something

    I did read... you can paint it however you like. You wrote Minnow bashing then listed South Africa under ďbottom teamsĒ which implies that they are minnows!?!?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •