Qasim Akram to lead Pakistan in ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup and the U19 Asia Cup

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Qasim Akram to lead Pakistan in ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup and the U19 Asia Cup

Lahore, 2 December 2021:

Central Punjab all-rounder Qasim Akram will lead the 15-player Pakistan U19 squad in the ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup which will be played in January-February 2022 in the West Indies. The Lahore-born Qasim will also captain the team in the U19 Asia Cup that will be played in the UAE later this month.

The junior selection committee of the Pakistan Cricket Board had invited 21 high-performing cricketers born on or after 1 September 2002 (eligibility criteria) for a training camp that is currently underway in Lahore to prepare the side for the two tournaments, the camp began last week.

Besides the final 15 for both events, the squad also includes two travelling reserves who will be part of the touring party for both tournaments.

The squad includes four players who took part in the preceding U19 World Cup that was played in South Africa in January-February 2020, Pakistan finished third in the event. Qasim, openers Abdul Wahid Bangalzai and Mohammad Shehzad and middle-order batter Irfan Khan Niazi were the four players to feature in the South Africa event.

Following the 2020 event, Qasim was hugely impressive for Central Punjab in all three formats in the 2020-21 domestic season which was his first, Abdul Wahid scored a double-century for Balochistan in the ongoing Quaid-e-Azam Trophy besides impressive batting in the National T20.

Irfan appeared for Central Punjab in the National T20 and has already earned the reputation of being a clean striker of the ball, Shehzad was also one of the most prolific batters in the 2021-22 U19 one-day and three-day events.

Besides the quartet, the squad includes promising players like spinners Faisal Akram (left-arm-wrist-spinner), Ali Asfand (left-arm-spinner), Mehran Mumtaz (left-arm-spinner) and Arham Nawab (off-spinner). Faisal represented Southern Punjab in the National T20.

Abdul Faseeh, Haseebullah, Rizwan Mehmood and Maaz Sadaqat were the standout performers with the bat in the domestic U19 circuit. Pacers Ahmed Khan, Awais Ali and Zeeshan Zameer have also performed admirably besides impressing the selectors and coaches with their potential.

Pakistan Shaheens and U19 head coach Ijaz Ahmed will lead the support staff on the two tours.

Chairman Junior Selection Committee Saleem Jaffer: “Selection of U19 squads is always one of the most challenging and difficult tasks due to the available pool of talent. And this selection was no different, but we have tried to pick the best available 17 players who can help Pakistan win the World Cup for the country.

“The PCB has prepared a robust plan for pathways cricket and I can assure all teenage cricketers who have missed out on selection this time that they will get a chance at some stage down the line.

“I want to congratulate the 17 players who have made into the squad for the UAE and the West Indies tournaments. I remain confident that this side has the capability and potential to do well in both the upcoming events.”

Squad (in alphabetical order):

Qasim Akram (captain, Central Punjab), Abdul Faseeh (Northern), Abdul Wahid Bangalzai (Balochistan),
    Ahmed Khan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Ali Asfand (Central Punjab), Arham Nawab (Central Punjab), Awais Ali (Central Punjab), Faisal Akram (Southern Punjab), Haseebullah (wicketkeeper, Balochistan), Irfan Khan Niazi (Central Punjab), Maaz Sadaqat (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Mehran Mumtaz (Northern), Mohammad Shehzad (Southern Punjab), Rizwan Mehmood (Sindh) and Zeeshan Zameer (Sindh)

Traveling reserves: Ghazi Ghori (wicketkeeper, Sindh), Mohammad Zeeshan (Central Punjab).

Support staff: Ijaz Ahmed (Head coach), Rao Iftikhar Anjum (Bowling coach), Mohtashim Rasheed (Fielding coach), Mohammad Javed (Strength and Conditioning coach), Waleed Ahmed (Analyst), Hafiz Naeem-ul-Rasool (physiotherapist) and Taimur Azam (Manager).
    Last edited by MenInG; 2nd December 2021 at 21:44.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Names to look forward to?? Apart from Qasim arkam i am not aware

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed216 View Post
    Abdul Wahid Bangalzai
    Faisal Akram (left arm chinaman I believe )

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Qasim Akram is a great choice. Exciting talent

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Azan Awais missed out of a spot despite scoring most runs in one of the recently concluded under 19 tournaments.
    Also, don’t know why this Irfan Khan Niazi guy keeps getting selected. Never seen the guy doing anything off note. Correct me if I’m wrong.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrez Pakistani View Post
    Azan Awais missed out of a spot despite scoring most runs in one of the recently concluded under 19 tournaments.
    Also, don’t know why this Irfan Khan Niazi guy keeps getting selected. Never seen the guy doing anything off note. Correct me if I’m wrong.
    Relative of Misbah

Debut
    Jun 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zeeshan zameer I believe will be the break out star from this group

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plenty of talent here...faseeh ..mohammaed shehzad..the keeper very good squad.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Irfan niazi when I last saw him bat was getting beaten for pace by 84 mph deliveries. I sure hope he has improved.

Surprised that azan awais wasn't picked.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Relative of Misbah
    Misbah should be the last one to do this, he faced this himself and now hes doing the samething that delayed his career to another talented player....
    This is why the country wont change too many people are corrupt.. cycle continues

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir-fraz View Post
    Misbah should be the last one to do this, he faced this himself and now hes doing the samething that delayed his career to another talented player....
    This is why the country wont change too many people are corrupt.. cycle continues
    These conspiracies are getting a bit too much. Misbah isn't anything so why would he influence this selection.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Montreal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Qasim Akram, is a great player, and someone i want to see be in the national team in the future, will be interesting to see, how he performs as a captain. Regardless best of Luck of Pakistan

Wreck it Rauf.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sad to see no Azan Awais

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1076 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Relative of Misbah
    how is he a relative of misbah please explain.

Just because someone is a niazi or is from mianwali you think they are cousins of Misbah?

Mianwali is a city not a villiage anymore.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    Sad to see no Azan Awais
    Maybe the other guys are better. Lots hope he uses it as motivation and becomes better than the ones in the team.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Maybe the other guys are better. Lots hope he uses it as motivation and becomes better than the ones in the team.
    Abdullah Shafiq wasn't part of 2018 WC yet he has done better than all batsmen in the WC batch

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Abdullah Shafiq wasn't part of 2018 WC yet he has done better than all batsmen in the WC batch
    Let's hope so. We need at least 2 to come through from this cohort to play for PK. RR should aim to have 10 good young batsman to chose from. We have Hurraira, Mubashir,Omair, Ammad(Karachi)and Bangalzai. We need another 5 to develop and hopefully 2 come from this group.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great to see Qasim Akram lead he is good. Why isn't Mohammad Huraira there??

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hurraira is over age so is mubashir who.took 5 wickets today ..plenty coming thru need to nurture them

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Qasim Akram seems like a modern type player that Pakistan need more of. Looks technically pretty good and has power.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haseebullah who's a wicket keeper batesman.
    Maaz Sadaqat who's an all rounder.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He didn't nothing In the national cup if am correct despite getting multiple chances.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always enjoy this tournament. Hope it is covered by some channel.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really strong squad good spinners and good batters.
    Mohammad Shezard,Haseebullah,Qasim Akram who's a genuine spinner.

Mohammad Shehzad
    Abdul Faseeh
    Abdul Wahid Bangalzai
    Haseebullah
    Maaz Sadaqat
    Rizwan Mehmood
    Qasim Akram
    Arham Nawab
    Faisal Akram
    Zeeshan Zameer
    Ahmed Khan

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Haseebullah who's a wicket keeper batesman.
    Maaz Sadaqat who's an all rounder.
    Thanks bro. Are there any real quick fast bowler? And what about saim ayub is he overage? Wasn't he pak under 16 captain
    Last edited by Ahmed216; 3rd December 2021 at 11:54.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks bro. Are there any real quick fast bowler? And what about saim ayub is he overage? Wasn't he pak under 16 captain
    He must be overage he didnt play any undet 19s this year. Played for sindh seconds and did reasonably well

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zeeshan Zameer but alot of people stating that he throws the ball but he's reasonably quick can move the bowl.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saim Ayub is already 19 am not sure what the cut off is am not even sure if he would have made the squad anyways.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Looks a pretty solid squad.

About time Pakistan won this tournament again.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He didn't nothing In the national cup if am correct despite getting multiple chances.
    https://www.pcb.com.pk/averages-repo...ort_order=desc

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on about irfan Khan

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I was on about irfan Khan
    Yeah that makes sense.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    This could be the strongest XI at the U19 level for many years - great chances of win.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yeah that makes sense.
    Irfan Niazi being called a parchi has scored 500+ runs in 3 day 2nd XI competition with an average of 52

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Irfan Niazi being called a parchi has scored 500+ runs in 3 day 2nd XI competition with an average of 52
    Then he should stick to second 11 cricket. He shouldn’t be playing under 19 cricket.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He also seems to score very quickly.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Then he should stick to second 11 cricket. He shouldn’t be playing under 19 cricket.
    Why? Who are you decide? Unless you have some other information the guy deserves his selection

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why? Who are you decide? Unless you have some other information the guy deserves his selection
    Second 11 cricket is supposed to be a place for the under 19 graduates. Imagine going back to the same class after graduation. That just doesn’t sound right. And to tell you the truth, he doesn’t even look like an under 19 kid. But that’s beside the point. Can’t care less if he’s overage since age fudging is just a norm. But still, if you are playing second eleven cricket then you have obviously graduated from under 19 level and playing in big leagues. So yes he shouldn’t be playing under 19 cricket.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That’s not my opinion. Rahul Dravid said it himself. That if you are already playing first class cricket then you shouldn’t be playing under 19 cricket. You shouldn’t be playing two under 19 world cups anyway. You are not going to achieve anything by doing that.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    That’s not my opinion. Rahul Dravid said it himself. That if you are already playing first class cricket then you shouldn’t be playing under 19 cricket. You shouldn’t be playing two under 19 world cups anyway. You are not going to achieve anything by doing that.
    I agree with that. Hope PCB can learn

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Second 11 cricket is supposed to be a place for the under 19 graduates. Imagine going back to the same class after graduation. That just doesn’t sound right. And to tell you the truth, he doesn’t even look like an under 19 kid. But that’s beside the point. Can’t care less if he’s overage since age fudging is just a norm. But still, if you are playing second eleven cricket then you have obviously graduated from under 19 level and playing in big leagues. So yes he shouldn’t be playing under 19 cricket.
    I think there should be a 2 way pathway from and into 2nd 11 cricket for U19s. The more experience they get they better they will be. Age faking is an issue but that has deep tentacles and that is the PCBs fault, we have to assume that he has a right to be there. For all his faults Ijaz has an eye for talent and until I see these guys, I won't make any judgements.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there should be a 2 way pathway from and into 2nd 11 cricket for U19s. The more experience they get they better they will be. Age faking is an issue but that has deep tentacles and that is the PCBs fault, we have to assume that he has a right to be there. For all his faults Ijaz has an eye for talent and until I see these guys, I won't make any judgements.
    He looked clueless in psl however I won't judge him based upon the psl.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope we can unearth a star batter from this batch, just like Shaheen came from the 2018 WC.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Here is how the squad looks ahead of the U19 WC

Name:  330d68f9-0877-4dec-9fc5-72be73f2d70b.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  147.3 KBName:  b60d97f0-f299-4069-9b1e-4e894bacd948.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  155.9 KB

Debut
    Nov 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even a single captain's knock or spell in Asia cup

Debut
    Nov 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Average over hyped player.. Not captain material.. Not even best player in the team

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moiz14 View Post
    Not even a single captain's knock or spell in Asia cup
    Had one good match where he was Man of the Match, but overall not a great Asia Cup for him.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about the new "sensation" Bengazai , who scored a double ton in QeA trophy for Boluchistan ??

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    From PCB:

National U-19 squad to leave for West Indies today to participate in ICC Men's U-19 World Cup

The squad will leave Dubai for Manchester, Bridgetown at 12 noon.

Abdul Wahid Bangalzai will not travel with the squad due to positive corona test and will isolate in Dubai for ten days which will be overseen by the Emirates Cricket Board.

Ghazi Ghauri and Mohammad Zeeshan are already with the squad as travel reserves and will be available to the national under-19 squad for the ICC Men's Under-19 World Cup

Last edited by MenInG; 1st January 2022 at 12:05.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Nice bunch of lads. They were on the same flight from Dubai to Manchester as someone I know, so I got to meet the squad when they landed.

There's a lad in the squad - Mohammad Zeeshan who must be at least 6 foot 4, maybe even more. Huge guy - pace bowler who played recently against UAE U19s.

For those interested - Rao Iftikhar is the bowling coach with these lads.
    Last edited by Saj; 2nd January 2022 at 17:41.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Abbas Ali has become part of the Pakistan under-19 squad in place of Abdul Wahid Bangalzai who has been ruled out due to suffering from COVID-19.

Abbas will represent Pakistan U-19 in the ICC U-19 Cricket World Cup which will be played in the Caribbean from January 14 to February 5

Abbas who is 17 and from Peshawar scored 152 runs in the PCB Under-19 ODI Cup and 265 runs in the Under-19 Three-Day Championship.

Abbas Ali will leave for Trinidad on January 8 and will be allowed to train with the national under-19 squad after three days of isolation.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Abbas Ali has become part of the Pakistan under-19 squad in place of Abdul Wahid Bangalzai who has been ruled out due to suffering from COVID-19.

Abbas will represent Pakistan U-19 in the ICC U-19 Cricket World Cup which will be played in the Caribbean from January 14 to February 5

Abbas who is 17 and from Peshawar scored 152 runs in the PCB Under-19 ODI Cup and 265 runs in the Under-19 Three-Day Championship.

Abbas Ali will leave for Trinidad on January 8 and will be allowed to train with the national under-19 squad after three days of isolation.
    People with much better record are being ignored here. My advice to those who are being ignored is not to lose heart but to focus on their studies, try and move abroad and fulfill their cricketing dreams in other parts of the world. It’s true for every profession in Pakistan and shouldn’t be any different here.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    One hack replace by another. No wonder why we cannot win tournaments. Who is the selector? Does anyone know?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lahore, 6 January 2022: Khyber Pakhtunkhwa’s Abbas Ali has replaced Abdul Wahid Bangalzai in the Pakistan U19 squad for the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup 2022, which will be played in St Kitts and Nevis, Guyana and Trinidad and Tobago from 14 January to 5 February.

The 17-year-old from Peshawar scored 152 runs and took six wickets with his off-spin in the six PCB U19 One-Day Cup fixtures, while he scored 265 runs and grabbed 10 wickets in the PCB U19 Three-Day Championship matches.

Abbas will depart for Trinidad on 8 January and undergo a three-day isolation from 9-11 January. Following arrival negative tests, he will be allowed to resume training from 12 January before integrating with the side on 14 January.

Pakistan will play their first round matches in Trinidad on 15 January (vs PNG), 20 January (vs Afghanistan) and 22 January (vs Zimbabwe). If the side finishes in top-two of Group-C, they will play their Super League fixtures in Antigua.

Squad: Qasim Akram (captain, Central Punjab), Abdul Faseeh (Northern), Abbas Ali (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Ahmed Khan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Ali Asfand (Central Punjab), Arham Nawab (Central Punjab), Awais Ali (Central Punjab), Faisal Akram (Southern Punjab), Haseebullah (wicketkeeper, Balochistan), Irfan Khan Niazi (Central Punjab), Maaz Sadaqat (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Mehran Mumtaz (Northern), Mohammad Shehzad (Southern Punjab), Rizwan Mehmood (Sindh) and Zeeshan Zameer (Sindh)

Traveling reserves: Ghazi Ghori (wicketkeeper, Sindh), Mohammad Zeeshan (Central Punjab).

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    One hack replace by another. No wonder why we cannot win tournaments. Who is the selector? Does anyone know?
    It is Ijaz Ahmed

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Abdul Faseeh - profile

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Arham Nawab

Last edited by MenInG; 17th January 2022 at 00:41.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Abbas Ali

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arham Nawab

Delighted to see him continuing his college education,
    Last edited by MenInG; 17th January 2022 at 00:42.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a warm up match today but i dont see any coverage

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Pakistan top order shine in win over Canada

Pakistan put an impress display against Canada as they build up to their Group C opener against Papua New Guinea on Saturday. The men in Green won the toss and put the Canadians into bat in Conaree and quickly reduced them to 31-4. Ethan Gibson offered some resistance with a stubborn 55, but Mihir Patel’s team were eventually bowled out for 164.

Pakistan’s response started poorly when Haseebullah departed for just 3, but his opening partner Mohammad Shehzad scored 67. He was joined at the crease by Abdul Faseeh whi hit 72 unbeaten, to help his team to an eight-wicket victory.

Canada start their tournament against UAE on Saturday in St Kitts and Nevis.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan top order shine in win over Canada

Pakistan put an impress display against Canada as they build up to their Group C opener against Papua New Guinea on Saturday. The men in Green won the toss and put the Canadians into bat in Conaree and quickly reduced them to 31-4. Ethan Gibson offered some resistance with a stubborn 55, but Mihir Patel’s team were eventually bowled out for 164.

Pakistan’s response started poorly when Haseebullah departed for just 3, but his opening partner Mohammad Shehzad scored 67. He was joined at the crease by Abdul Faseeh whi hit 72 unbeaten, to help his team to an eight-wicket victory.

Canada start their tournament against UAE on Saturday in St Kitts and Nevis.
    In warm up match , they won the toss and did not opt for batting ???? strange . Lost an opportunity to have some batting practice .

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Bangladesh are not the only team looking to their senior men’s side for inspiration, with Pakistan having captured the imagination on the way to the semi-finals of the 2021 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup.

And those displays have clearly rubbed off on the younger generation, with captain Qasim Akram saying: “The fighting quality the senior team showed at the T20 World Cup in the UAE was an effort that inspired the entire nation including our players.

“We want to continue that inspiration for others because we have an example to emulate in this tournament.

“They showed great passion and it was a big inspiration to see the team do well and gives us motivation.”

Qasim is appearing in his second ICC U19 Men’s CWC, and like Rakibul, believes that the wickets will suit Pakistan, who are in Group C along with Afghanistan, Papua New Guinea and Zimbabwe.

He added: “The team so far has adjusted very well to the conditions and the wickets.

“The pitches are quite similar to those in Karachi, as they offer turn and generally similar to what we see across most of Pakistan.

“The pitches feel familiar which is helping the team prepare well and I feel we have adapted well to the conditions.”

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Lahore, 16 January 2022: Two-time former champions Pakistan will take on Zimbabwe in the ICC Men’s U19 Cricket World Cup West Indies 2022 opener on Monday at the Diego Martin Sporting Complex in Trinidad and Tobago.

Pakistan will then meet Afghanistan on Thursday at the Brian Lara Cricket Ground, while their last Group C fixtures will be against Papua New Guinea (PNG) on Saturday at the Queens Park Oval.

If Pakistan top’s Group C, their Super League quarter-final will be on Friday, 28 January, at the Sir Vivian Richards Cricket Ground against the side that finishes second in Group D, which comprise West Indies, Australia, Sri Lanka and Scotland.

In the scenario of Pakistan finishing second in Group C, their Super League quarter-final will be on Thursday, 27 January, at the Coolidge Cricket Ground against the side that tops Group C, which includes West Indies, Australia, Sri Lanka and Scotland.

Pakistan is the third most successful side after India and Australia in the ICC U19 Cricket World Cup, which was launched in 1988 before becoming a biennial event in 1998. Pakistan have won titles in 2004 and 2006, finished runners-up thrice in 1988, 2010 and 2014, and achieved third positions in 2000, 2008, 2018 and 2020.

Apart from dominating the U19 World Cups since its inception, Pakistan have also produced cricketers from this competition who have gone on to make cricket a bigger and stronger sport.

The 1988 competition in Australia saw the emergence of Aqib Javed, Basit Ali, Inzamam-ul-Haq and Mushatq Ahmed, the last event in South Africa has resulted in the graduation of Haider Ali and Mohammad Wasim Junior to international cricket. Both the players were part of Pakistan’s squad for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021, with Wasim later winning the PCB Emerging Cricketer of 2021 award.

Some of the other prominent Pakistan internationals to progress from the U19 World Cup in the period between 1998 and 2018 include Abdul Razzaq, Shoaib Malik (both 1998), Faisal Iqbal, Imran Nazir, Mohammad Sami Taufeeq Umar, Yasir Arafat (all 2000), Azhar Ali, Junaid Zia, Umar Gul (all 2002), Abid Ali, Fawad Alam, Wahab Riaz (all 2004), Sarfaraz Ahmed, Imad Wasim (both 2006), Shan Masood, Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal (all 2008), Babar Azam (2010), Imam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Nawaz (both 2012), Shadab Khan (2016) and, Mohammad Musa and Shaheen Shah Afridi (2018).

Qasim Akram, who featured in the 2020 tournament along with Haider Ali and Mohammad Wasim Junior, will be making his second appearance when he will captain Pakistan’s future stars in the 2022 edition.

“The ICC U19 Men’s Cricket World Cup is the biggest and most competitive tournament we get to play at this level. This tournament provides us a reality check of where we stand as compared to cricketers from other nations and what we need to do to in future to enhance our skills so that we can compete strongly at the highest level.

“This tournament also helps in building relationships with cricketers from other countries and this bonding stays with us for the rest of our careers. I know a number of players who played with me in the 2020 U19 World Cup and I feel happy when they perform. Of course, they also motivate me to improve my skills and play alongside them in the international arena.

“We come into this tournament oozing with confidence. We had a long pre-tour preparation camps in Karachi and Lahore and then had some good games in the UAE before one bad day in the office ruined our chances of winning the Asia Cup. We have won both the warm-up matches and have practiced hard in the West Indies, and feel we are fully prepared and ready to enter the tournament.

“We take a lot of motivation from our men’s squad. They had a great 2021, which has created a feel good factor, which we can capitalise on by winning the tournament and ending the 16-year title drought.

“I have no doubts we are one of the favourites and have players who can help us win the first trophy of this decade. All we need to do is to play our natural game, don’t be overawed by the occasion and continue to focus and believe in our abilities.”

Squad - Qasim Akram (captain, Central Punjab), Abdul Faseeh (Northern), Abbas Ali (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Ahmed Khan (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Ali Asfand (Central Punjab), Arham Nawab (Central Punjab), Awais Ali (Central Punjab), Faisal Akram (Southern Punjab), Haseebullah (wicketkeeper, Balochistan), Irfan Khan Niazi (Central Punjab), Maaz Sadaqat (Khyber Pakhtunkhwa), Mehran Mumtaz (Northern), Mohammad Shehzad (Southern Punjab), Rizwan Mehmood (Sindh) and Zeeshan Zameer (Sindh)

Pakistan fixtures:

17 Jan - v Zimbabwe - Diego Martin Sporting Complex.

20 Jan - v Afghanistan - Brian Lara Cricket Ground.

22 Jan - v PNG - Queens Park Oval.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I’m assuming our matches are not going to be televised unless we get to the knockouts. Is that correct?

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Hanover Park
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistan Afghanistan will be telecast

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mon858 View Post
    Pakistan Afghanistan will be telecast
    That’s good to know. Thanks for the info.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m assuming our matches are not going to be televised unless we get to the knockouts. Is that correct?
    I think all matches are streamed live on ICC Tv ..

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are PTV Sports not showing this tournament?

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Pakistan U19s players speaking about their prep:

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Highlights of Abdul Faseeh's batting against Afghanistan:

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely should be playing first xi for his domestic team.
    Looks really Compact and used his feet well.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see Shehzad given more of a chance with the ball in upcoming matches.

One thing that has really impressed me about this group so far is the standard of fielding. All look pretty athletic, agile and enjoying their fielding.