[VIDEO] S Warne & M Vaughan say Australia need to do everything to ensure they tour Pakistan

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

[VIDEO] S Warne & M Vaughan say Australia need to do everything to ensure they tour Pakistan

Video of Shane Warne and Michael Vaughan on the possibility of Australia touring Pakistan:

Michael Vaughan:

"If security ticks off, then Australia & other nations have to go to Pakistan. It's important for the world game. Pakistan adores cricket, not just T20s but Tests also. Australia need to do everything in their powers to make sure the players go there"

"So in any way, shape or form that Australia can get on the plane and go to Pakistan if security is given the green light and the tick, they have to go there and it will be great for the game"

“England pulled out of a Pakistan trip. I think they were going for a week to play 3 T20Is. It was pulled about 4 or 5 days before they were meant to go and it’s not just a great look for the game”

"The power 3, India, Australia and England have all the cash and it’s up to those 3 to make sure that they are looking after the countries that don’t have all the fortunes and don’t have all the big television deals"

Some quotes from Shane Warne in this video:

Last edited by Saj; 8th January 2022 at 23:00.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Wonder where has this love for Pakistan come from the likes of Ponting, Warne, Vaughan, Cutting, Watson, Hayden. Off late, all these guys have made pro Pakistan statements and have pressed the case that Australia has to tour Pakistan this time after 24 years.

Have these guys been denied IPL contracts?

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Wonder where has this love for Pakistan come from the likes of Ponting, Warne, Vaughan, Cutting, Watson, Hayden. Off late, all these guys have made pro Pakistan statements and have pressed the case that Australia has to tour Pakistan this time after 24 years.

Pakistan supporters had it in their minds that the whole world is out to get Pakistan and no one wanted to play there. The truth is players wanted to play Pakistan but due to security issues they could not.

Debut
    Mar 2021
    Venue
    The Universe
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Pakistan supporters had it in their minds that the whole world is out to get Pakistan and no one wanted to play there. The truth is players wanted to play Pakistan but due to security issues they could not.
    Security issues were fair enough from 2009-2015 or so. Not any more.

I hope Australia at least give some notice - say, one month - so we can make some contingency plans. Will be typical of western arrogance and entitlement for them to leave it to the last minute or even pull a New Zealand by turning up and leaving.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been noticing this too lately on social media as well. It's a nice positive sign. If the PSL goes well security/covid wise then 2022 could shape up to be a good home year for Pakistan, and well deserved.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

Just accept it at face value - lets not get too cynical

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    that's the reason why Australia haven't toured pakistan since 1994 and then twice rejected to tour pakistan in uae , yes makes sense m8

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why didnt australia tour for a good decade from 1999-2008 when the whole world and their dog was touring pakistan?

Theres no excuses now, so lets see

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still got a bad feeling that Aus won't tour Pak. Even when there weren't issues in Afghanistan and the military made everyone feel safe Aus did not enter Pakistan.

Even if they play one game in Pakistan I'd be truly surprised in a positive way.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess one benefit of the PSL is that it is used in examples of how good the security is.

Quite a big statement to say that Watson thinks the security was top notch and therefore it shouldn't be an issue.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finalfantasy7 View Post
    that's the reason why Australia haven't toured pakistan since 1994 and then twice rejected to tour pakistan in uae , yes makes sense m8
    They visited Pakistan in 98, I went to my first ever cricket match at Pindi, which was against Australia.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    A bit of pressure now on CA with Shane Watson, Shane Warne and a few others saying they should tour Pakistan.

However the players association is the key here. If they say to the players don't tour, then it will be very difficult for the tour to go ahead.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shane Warne the biggest hypocrite. He isn’t ever going to step foot in Pakistan so why is he advocating other Australians as if it’s their religious duty to do so?

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that why the commentators naturally refer to us as an 'other' nation, as if Pakistan has no cricketing history?

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    IA they tour and others follow suit. With 7 countries playing test in any practical sense, it's imperative for the survival of the format that all the countries are given tests and a chance to develop. On the other hand, I have a feeling that a last minute cancellation is coming

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...probably why Australia haven't toured Pakistan since 1998.

Meanwhile England, South Africa, India, New Zealand, Bangladesh, West Indies, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka all toured the country multiple times.

Your strawman argument has little basis in reality. Because security issues only really existed between 2009-15.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what Warne's angle is here but he clearly has one.

I refuse to believe that a guy who is on-record saying that he didn't want to tour Pakistan during the early part of his career and flat-out refused to in 2002 (along with McGrath and Waugh) could care less if Australia tour Pakistan.

He has got to be the biggest hypocrites going around.

At this point I'm just waiting for Botham to make a statement on England touring Pakistan. After his "I wouldn't even take my mother-in-law to Faisalabad" remark, he's too should make a complete U-turn and chime in.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Pretty much any serious cricket fan will want cricket to be back to normal with teams visiting Pakistan. Here you are talking about players who played at the highest level and many of them have played in Pakistan in past.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me the most important part of OP's article is this - "The Big 3 have the cash and it is important for them to look after other countries".

The fact that Pakistan - the second largest cricketing nation by audience is being bracketed with "other countries" is a testament to how they have not caught up with the Big 3 when it comes to financially taking advantage of their vast cricket constituency.

Whether it is in personal life, international politics, sport or really anywhere else - self reliance and self sufficiency is of utmost importance.

I hope under Ramiz's leadership - Pakistan will initiate steps to become a financially strong cricket board. It should not be too difficult as in Pakistan cricket is indeed the most widely followed sport with really no rival.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    I don't know what Warne's angle is here but he clearly has one.

I refuse to believe that a guy who is on-record saying that he didn't want to tour Pakistan during the early part of his career and flat-out refused to in 2002 (along with McGrath and Waugh) could care less if Australia tour Pakistan.

He has got to be the biggest hypocrites going around.

At this point I'm just waiting for Botham to make a statement on England touring Pakistan. After his "I wouldn't even take my mother-in-law to Faisalabad" remark, he's too should make a complete U-turn and chime in.
    Australian Cricket has changed quite a bit from those times.

I cant really see guys like AB, Taylor, Waugh, Warne etc being comfortable with some of the stuff the current team does nowadays around race and inclusivity.

However modern Cricket Australia seems to have a fresh outlook and a lot of these guys like Warne will naturally fall into line as things on change.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    Australian Cricket has changed quite a bit from those times.

I cant really see guys like AB, Taylor, Waugh, Warne etc being comfortable with some of the stuff the current team does nowadays around race and inclusivity.

However modern Cricket Australia seems to have a fresh outlook and a lot of these guys like Warne will naturally fall into line as things on change.
    I don't think I would categorize Warne among those guys. While I'm ready to buy that all these guys are politically incorrect and happy to be so, Warne is just a fool who will say whatever he has to say as long as it suits him.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    lets be real here, CA have very little interest in playing anyone other than India or England. Simon Katich played more tests in India than Australia have against Bang and Zim put together ever.

CA doesn't care about playing small nations as is not economically attractive, im pretty sure the number of tests they play with SA will plummet too over the next decade.

if someone gave CA a choice if they wanted to play in Pakistan regardless of security situation, im pretty sure they'd pull out.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    It's the weak excuses and gibberish like "The mental and physical well-being of our players and support staff remains our highest priority and this is even more critical given the times we are currently living in", that probably annoys Pakistan supporters.

If there were genuine reasons, they would understand and appreciate it, but some of the rubbish excuses are pathetic.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the discussion missed the biggest reason to visit Pakistan: it is becoming a team to beat. Exciting talent, the emergence of Rizwan and Shaheen, the Babar factor, the new outlook on the game, their recent record etc.

They also I think missed another reason: Pakistan has toured them when they needed cricket revenues during the pandemic. We can debate Pakistan's reasons behind touring but it is true that it is a country that gives. It plays teams like Ireland and Zimbabwe when others don't.

Overall, I really don't buy their 'good of the game', 'responsibility' and 'we are rich, they are poor' non sense. There are cricketing reasons to play and there are favors to be returned.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Ramiz Raja is correct regarding expansion of the Cricketing Economy. The Pakistani team has to make it commercially viable for Cricket Australia to be ready to host Pakistan in Australia. If that is the case then Cricket Australia will be motivated to tour Pakistan because they will know in the back of the mind that if they refuse to tour Pakistan, Pakistan can refuse to tour Australia and hurt them commercially if that series is profitable.

Debut
    May 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say there's a lot of momentum for this tour. I also believe Australia is less likely to fall for hoaxes unlike a certain country in their vicinity.

There's still a possibility they use some obscure and/or irrelevant incident, or covid to justify not touring.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    word of mouth is key too. A reasonable amount of players are making the trip to the PSL and quite a few of ours are playing the BBL. This creates relationships and word of mouth gets going. Shane has now been on the commentary circuit for many many years talking to pakistani players and commentators. Also our recent performances and emergence of stars like rizwan and afridi is really helping things along.

people also forget how damaging the 2010 fixing scandal was to our game. it really damaged us badly just when we needed support. Again players talk and if you have corrupt players around others dont want to know you..

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You guys are really obsessed about IPL conspiracies.

I've seen a dozen Australian players turn down IPL contracts. It's a nice bonus, but to guys you mention who earn big at home doing commentary, advertisements etc or in other leagues anyway, it's not such a big deal.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    It's the weak excuses and gibberish like "The mental and physical well-being of our players and support staff remains our highest priority and this is even more critical given the times we are currently living in", that probably annoys Pakistan supporters.

If there were genuine reasons, they would understand and appreciate it, but some of the rubbish excuses are pathetic.
    When did Australia use "The mental and physical well-being of our players and support staff remains our highest priority and this is even more critical given the times we are currently living in"as an excuse not to tour Pakistan?.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    There's two layers to this. CA haven't been great international cricketing citizens having not toured any team for Tests since the 2019 Ashes. Other teams have still attempted to complete their touring commitments despite COVID. The example of Pakistan is particularly aggregious - Australia didn't even tour Pakistan when the security situation was stable pre-2008.

However now I'm going to be blunt. The reason international cricket hasn't flooded back to Pakistan to a greater extent is nothing to do with Pakistan being a weak team, not producing stars etc.

Despite the reality that Pakistan's security has significantly improved due to sacrifices of the security forces, the risk perception particularly in the western press remains high - and Australia are arguably the most risk averse touring nation.

While Pakistan doesn't have a monopoly on SC mob violence, incidents like a Sri Lankan man being lynched and burned in the streets don't help. Above all, Pakistan remains the only nation where a cricket team was directly attacked. You can mention Manchester 2017 or Christchurch 2019 but those host countries do not have 60,000+ dead from terrorism since 2001. That's why NZ ran after a flimsy threat.

Pakistanis may have short memories and have become immune to tragedy - the outside world has not. Believe me I'd love for Lahore, Karachi and Multan to be just another international venue like Lord's, Sydney and Johannesburg - but the transition was always going to be slow and rocky.

Where CA do have an obligation is to not cancel last minute and leave PCB in the lurch like NZC and ECB. Either commit to touring or don't.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The onus is on PCB to conduct a professional PSL tournament this year without any hiccups especially due to COVID rather than security. If the whole tournament goes through without outbreaks due to shabby SOP like last year, I do not think CA will have much ground to even think about pulling out.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Given what NZ did to us, I will not breathe easy till the first ball is bowled

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    There's two layers to this. CA haven't been great international cricketing citizens having not toured any team for Tests since the 2019 Ashes. Other teams have still attempted to complete their touring commitments despite COVID. The example of Pakistan is particularly aggregious - Australia didn't even tour Pakistan when the security situation was stable pre-2008.

However now I'm going to be blunt. The reason international cricket hasn't flooded back to Pakistan to a greater extent is nothing to do with Pakistan being a weak team, not producing stars etc.

Despite the reality that Pakistan's security has significantly improved due to sacrifices of the security forces, the risk perception particularly in the western press remains high - and Australia are arguably the most risk averse touring nation.

While Pakistan doesn't have a monopoly on SC mob violence, incidents like a Sri Lankan man being lynched and burned in the streets don't help. Above all, Pakistan remains the only nation where a cricket team was directly attacked. You can mention Manchester 2017 or Christchurch 2019 but those host countries do not have 60,000+ dead from terrorism since 2001. That's why NZ ran after a flimsy threat.

Pakistanis may have short memories and have become immune to tragedy - the outside world has not. Believe me I'd love for Lahore, Karachi and Multan to be just another international venue like Lord's, Sydney and Johannesburg - but the transition was always going to be slow and rocky.

Where CA do have an obligation is to not cancel last minute and leave PCB in the lurch like NZC and ECB. Either commit to touring or don't.
    That's not fair then. Decisions should be made on facts and realities, not perception.

Also lynching stuff doesn't matter regarding cricket security. Or else no one would tour India ever.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pak players and PCB have played the nice guys for a long time now so that everyone accepts us to bow down and get on with it. Should show some spine against the specific boards that tend to ask Pak for help as second priority when the first priority kicks them down. WI and SL have been the only two boards (Zim is already on the receiving end from all other boards) that have stood by Pak cricket.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Pak players and PCB have played the nice guys for a long time now so that everyone accepts us to bow down and get on with it. Should show some spine against the specific boards that tend to ask Pak for help as second priority when the first priority kicks them down. WI and SL have been the only two boards (Zim is already on the receiving end from all other boards) that have stood by Pak cricket.
    Haven't CSA done this to Pakistan right now. When Australia pulled out in 2020, the PCB stepped in and sent its team for ODIs and T20s to help CSA reduce the losses and how does CSA repay the PCB? By refusing to release players for the PSL

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    PCB forgets too soon.

As soon as a carrot is dangled in front of them, an apology of sorts is given and a few promises here and there, they forget what happened in the past and how other Boards used them as a doormat.
    Last edited by Saj; 10th January 2022 at 01:19.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    When did Australia use "The mental and physical well-being of our players and support staff remains our highest priority and this is even more critical given the times we are currently living in"as an excuse not to tour Pakistan?.
    Who said Australia used it?

It's not one of the excuses they've used.......yet.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Who said Australia used it?

It's not one of the excuses they've used.......yet.
    There is a genuine risk for some teams to tour Pakistan, you might not like that but it is real and Pakistan supporters have to accept that.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    There is a genuine risk for some teams to tour Pakistan, you might not like that but it is real and Pakistan supporters have to accept that.
    There is a risk everywhere for every nation.

No country is entirely safe.

Does that mean that cricket tours stop.

Debut
    May 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's merely perception. Data doesn't reflect that, or at least not to the extent that you think.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is a risk everywhere for every nation.

No country is entirely safe.

Does that mean that cricket tours stop.
    False binary argument there.

There are degrees of risk and degrees of safety. So of course all tours don't stop, but some do.

No one has toured afghanistan? Does that mean no one can tour a cricket nation? Everyone has toured NZ. Does that mean they should tour afghanistan right now? Obviously blanket rules are silly.

I think @Markhor does a good job of outlining the way things are seen by some in Oz. Then those agencies, having been promised the level of security Lanka got & for PSL is promised and see things not being run so tight at all (during PSL) and that factors into thinking around whether authorities really back up their promises.

That said, I've stated the tour should go ahead. I hope it does. It is quite true that terror attacks and mob violence etc exist in other places being toured. It is unfortunate Pakistan is still paying the price for horrific events a decade ago.

I think to some extent, it's human nature as well- because Pakistan has been deemed unsafe by one or two other teams/agencies then which person wants to be the security chief who gives the green light to a tour and has something go wrong? It would be the end of your career and a grief to carry around forever. Easier choice to just say no like the rest. Not right, but easier often wins with human nature.

I think this tour will go ahead, if IK and the security forces can keep Pakistan trouble free in the meantime. The perceived Taliban threat isn't likely- they are busy trying to get Afghan back on it's feet under their agenda and trying to look like a legitimate govt right now, not start another war.

And if Oz pulls out for covid reasons it will be the biggest hypocritical embarrassment of all time, given we are happily hosting other countries and tennis players etc during the pandemic.

But again, I just feel like this one is going to happen.
    Last edited by wrongun; 10th January 2022 at 03:28.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    There are degrees of risk and degrees of safety. So of course all tours don't stop, but some do.
    If Pakistan is safe for Shane Watson, Usman Khawaja, Ben Dunk and other Australians playing in the PSL, then it's safe for other Australian cricketers.

I could understand the narrative of some if NO Australian cricketer was prepared to go to Pakistan for the PSL, but that is not the case.

You can't pick and choose if a country is safe based on the series.
    Last edited by Saj; 10th January 2022 at 03:58.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Los Santos
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it doesn't happen its not cause of security, it's gonna be because of geopolitics and this new Anglo-China cold war, Pakistan is behind the iron curtain this time and is gonna be made to pay for looking out for its interests.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If Pakistan is safe for Shane Watson, Usman Khawaja, Ben Dunk and other Australians playing in the PSL, then it's safe for other Australian cricketers.

I could understand the narrative of some if NO Australian cricketer was prepared to go to Pakistan for the PSL, but that is not the case.

You can't pick and choose if a country is safe based on the series.
    Australians playing in the PSL are not representing Australia, each player have their own risk level threshold and some players will be lower and some will be higher and each player determines his level. CA has to consider the middle ground to ensure that enough players are satisfied and not go to the extreme one way or the other. A players decision only impacts on himself but CA's decision impacts players, coaches, support staff and is held accountable by law.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Nottignham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Australians playing in the PSL are not representing Australia, each player have their own risk level threshold and some players will be lower and some will be higher and each player determines his level. CA has to consider the middle ground to ensure that enough players are satisfied and not go to the extreme one way or the other. A players decision only impacts on himself but CA's decision impacts players, coaches, support staff and is held accountable by law.
    why would the whole Australia team be considered more of a threat if Shane Watson, Usman Khawaja, Ben Dunk are playing in psl? makes no sense and yet yet the Australian team is considered a threat but all the foreign players who are playing in the psl are not deemed as a threat nor do they believe thrs a threat.

makes no sense

TGK 237.1 owner

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finalfantasy7 View Post
    why would the whole Australia team be considered more of a threat if Shane Watson, Usman Khawaja, Ben Dunk are playing in psl? makes no sense and yet yet the Australian team is considered a threat but all the foreign players who are playing in the psl are not deemed as a threat nor do they believe thrs a threat.

makes no sense
    It's not the threat level, it is the legal duties imposed on an employer to ensure a safe workplace in Australia, even when sending on a work trip overseas vs those players you named acting as independent individuals making a choice to go sign a contract with an overseas company and work there.

There is a different liability and duty of care situation for both those quite different scenarios.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Easy as for these armchair experts to say all the right PR things to get brownie points from Ramiz Raja and the Pakistani fans.

They have no liability for their PR remarks

Dazzling the stage, Ginga Bishonen. Shinpathy!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    False binary argument there.

No one has toured afghanistan? Does that mean no one can tour a cricket nation? Everyone has toured NZ. Does that mean they should tour afghanistan right now? Obviously blanket rules are silly.

I think @Markhor does a good job of outlining the way things are seen by some in Oz. Then those agencies, having been promised the level of security Lanka got & for PSL is promised and see things not being run so tight at all (during PSL) and that factors into thinking around whether authorities really back up their promises.

That said, I've stated the tour should go ahead. I hope it does. It is quite true that terror attacks and mob violence etc exist in other places being toured. It is unfortunate Pakistan is still paying the price for horrific events a decade ago.

I think to some extent, it's human nature as well- because Pakistan has been deemed unsafe by one or two other teams/agencies then which person wants to be the security chief who gives the green light to a tour and has something go wrong? It would be the end of your career and a grief to carry around forever. Easier choice to just say no like the rest. Not right, but easier often wins with human nature.

I think this tour will go ahead, if IK and the security forces can keep Pakistan trouble free in the meantime. The perceived Taliban threat isn't likely- they are busy trying to get Afghan back on it's feet under their agenda and trying to look like a legitimate govt right now, not start another war.

And if Oz pulls out for covid reasons it will be the biggest hypocritical embarrassment of all time, given we are happily hosting other countries and tennis players etc during the pandemic.

But again, I just feel like this one is going to happen.
    NZ is deemed one of the most peaceful countries with very little threat of violence yet the horrific attack on the mosque was one of the most horrific and chilling event to have happened around a cricket tour in recent decades. If God Forbid stuff like that happened in Pak, Ban, Zim or SL, these countries would have been boycotted for any future cricket tours for atleast another 7 8 years.

The perception of some countries is totally awful in the eyes of residents of distant countries which is something media flaunts to the fullest.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PCB forgets too soon.

As soon as a carrot is dangled in front of them, an apology of sorts is given and a few promises here and there, they forget what happened in the past and how other Boards used them as a doormat.
    Although there is a merit in CSA policy of not issuing NOCs for their contracted players during domestic tournament, but if the league was India's or English or even NZ's, they would have reciprocated and we would have heard statements of how helping other boards in time of need is the right thing to do. CSA has been a subservient of the big 3 for quite a while now.

PCB has let itself down by offering no resistance and always obliging and getting blinded by a few sweet words. PCB alongwith CWI is probably the only two boards that let their players play in t20 and t10 leagues while their premium tournaments like QeA trophy are in progress.

I loved Smith as a batter but with the recent news of the 5 member Kliq in 2000s coming to light, I have lost a lot of respect for Smith, Kallis and Boucher.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    PCB's hands are tied at this point, they are perhaps the only board who has had to suffer the consequences of no international cricket in Pakistan for a decade and no Indian tour to Pakistan since 2006. They know full well the financial consequences of taking the Big 3 and NZ, CSA head on and therefore they have no choice but to play their cards carefully each time.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Although there is a merit in CSA policy of not issuing NOCs for their contracted players during domestic tournament, but if the league was India's or English or even NZ's, they would have reciprocated and we would have heard statements of how helping other boards in time of need is the right thing to do. CSA has been a subservient of the big 3 for quite a while now.
    No doubt about this at all.

Again, the PCB needs to remember this and store it in the memory bank.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    An Australian cricketer in Pakistan is Australian, whether he's playing in the PSL, for Australia or in the local park.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    No doubt about this at all.

Again, the PCB needs to remember this and store it in the memory bank.
    PCB should also remember this for other reasons. When Australia pulled out of touring SA when Covid Cases were on the rise in April 2021, it was the PCB which sent its ODI and T-20 team to SA when it had the option of holding and completing its own PSL at the time, but the PCB did this to help CSA out when Covid Cases were high in SA. And this is how CSA has repaid the PCB?

I hope Ramiz got on the phone with Graeme Smith and other CSA higher ups and gave them his piece of mind.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    India does it's bit. We don't tour Pakistan for different reasons, but India toured to SA when omicron/SA was headlines in world media. Quite sure England/Australia would've pulled out from a SA tour, they've done so for much less before.

BCCI for all the abuse they get, never get credit for keeping their promises to smaller nations.

Let's see if England and Australia tour Pakistan this year.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets not kid ourselves folks. This is just talks. I don't pay attention to what they say anymore. Its what they do that counts.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This kind of posturing AFTER you've had your turn to tour Pakistan for 2 and half decades is incredibly cringe. But now a decade or two into retirement, they say can't help but speak out about touring Pakistan.

funny how that works huh?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    PCB should also remember this for other reasons. When Australia pulled out of touring SA when Covid Cases were on the rise in April 2021, it was the PCB which sent its ODI and T-20 team to SA when it had the option of holding and completing its own PSL at the time, but the PCB did this to help CSA out when Covid Cases were high in SA. And this is how CSA has repaid the PCB?

I hope Ramiz got on the phone with Graeme Smith and other CSA higher ups and gave them his piece of mind.
    CSA are on stronger ground regarding this because they have a domestic T20 tournament at the same time as the PSL. No way can you expect foreign players to ignore their own domestic tournaments to play in your own competition.

Debut
    May 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair to M Vaughan he was part of the England tour to Pakistan in 2005. He retired soon after.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There is a 80/20 chance that the tour will happen.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    CSA are on stronger ground regarding this because they have a domestic T20 tournament at the same time as the PSL. No way can you expect foreign players to ignore their own domestic tournaments to play in your own competition.
    Lol but its okay for them to ignore their international commitments for the IPL?. Would have been interesting to see if CSA made this decision if the PCB offered them $200,000 in exchange for letting the SA players play in the PSL

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would like to hear from a wider range of voices in the current Australian team on this one & see what they’re thinking, not just from ex Oz players and also not just from Uzzie Khawaja who is a great guy but does have his own understandable personal reasons for wanting to tour Pak