[VIDEO] Usman Khawaja "It's a great opportunity for Australian cricket to give a little back"

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

[VIDEO] Usman Khawaja "It's a great opportunity for Australian cricket to give a little back"

Usman Khawaja on why Australia should tour Pakistan:

Last edited by Saj; 9th January 2022 at 20:05.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    393 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hate this

Why don’t they ask Smith or Warner?! Why do they keep asking Khwaja or talking just about him??

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    It will be interesting to see just how much notice they take of the likes of Khawaja and Shane Watson.

I hope it isn't the case, but I think there are still a few twists and turns to come regarding this issue.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let’s be honest - the Aussies will 100% not tour. Let’s not raise hopes. The western mind set and the media war against Muslims along with India’s attempts to undermine Pakistan cricket and the general negative attitude towards touring Pakistan created by the SENA countries is the cause. I hope people don’t blame Pakistan or the PCB.

It’s not going to happen. Some ‘security issue’ or ‘covid related issue’ will be designed. Just resign yourself to it.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    After all these statements, Australia are going to tour for sure.

Else the whole page 1 of PP will be full of bumpable threads.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The groundswell certainly seems to be building for an Australian tour to Pakistan after 28 years.

Would take something extraordinary for Australia to not come. And I feel like even in case of something like that whole security farce when New Zealand toured, Australia will be somewhat fearful not to rock the boat because they likely wouldn't want to get chastised like England and (to a far lesser extent) New Zealand did.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Googly View Post
    Let’s be honest - the Aussies will 100% not tour. Let’s not raise hopes. The western mind set and the media war against Muslims along with India’s attempts to undermine Pakistan cricket and the general negative attitude towards touring Pakistan created by the SENA countries is the cause. I hope people don’t blame Pakistan or the PCB.

It’s not going to happen. Some ‘security issue’ or ‘covid related issue’ will be designed. Just resign yourself to it.
    Well we can safely rule out COVID because Cricket Australia's CEO has said that the tour will go ahead even if there is a COVID scare.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Canít see Warner, Smith, Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood going to Pakistan.

Theyíll probably say itís due to bio-bubble fatigue.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    Can’t see Warner, Smith, Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood going to Pakistan.

They’ll probably say it’s due to bio-bubble fatigue.
    Starc is one of the braver guys. When everyone from the IPL bound bunch had to stay in Maldives, majority of their guys opted out of WI and Ban tour citing mental exhaustion and stuff but Starc was one of the few who decided not to back down.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no reason to doubt that tour will go ahead with full strength Australian team, with couple of players missing due to injury or personal reasons which happens all the time.
    Last edited by Saj; 10th January 2022 at 02:13.

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Why is he framing it like it is a charitable act.

I don't like this grovelling. Just say its about time, Pakistan is a heavy weight in cricket and needs home tours to give world cricket more credibility.

How can you consider yourself the worlds best team when you can't prove you can beat a regular ICC SF team on their own turf? It makes a mockery of the league rankings.
    Last edited by Flat_Track_Bully; 10th January 2022 at 02:09.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YousafTheBeast View Post
    Can’t see Warner, Smith, Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood going to Pakistan.

They’ll probably say it’s due to bio-bubble fatigue.
    If they did come, it would only be for the Test series. Rest of the tour would likely be a B team.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Track_Bully View Post
    Why is he framing it like it is a charitable act.

I don't like this grovelling. Just say its about time, Pakistan is a heavy weight in cricket and needs home tours to give world cricket more credibility.

How can you consider yourself the worlds best team when you can't prove you can beat a regular ICC SF team on their own turf? It makes a mockery of the league rankings.
    was gonna say the same thing. whilst i appreciate khawajas intent, it should not be made to look like some benevolent act if pak has made the prerequisite arrangements to host aus.

Debut
    May 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ***? He's making it appear like it would be a favour to Pakistan. It's Australia's responsibility as per the FTP, and as long as there no genuine security issues (i.e. not hoax issues like NZ fell for) they have to tour.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    To be fair to Khawaja he is just doing his best for the country of his birth.

Some would have stayed quiet, but he has openly stated that Australia should tour Pakistan, and for that I think he deserves some credit.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like how Australia touring Pakistan is being seen as some noble gesture by them. Just because New Zealand pulled out, England pulled out, if Australia go ahead - does it make them a hero? Or just some normal country going about it's obligation?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricfan4eva View Post
    I don't like how Australia touring Pakistan is being seen as some noble gesture by them. Just because New Zealand pulled out, England pulled out, if Australia go ahead - does it make them a hero? Or just some normal country going about it's obligation?
    Fair point.

It's on the FTP and they should be in Pakistan.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Knock Uzzie. But yea everyone knows Australia are not touring Pakistan anytime soon I'm afraid. They will probably blame managing workload after Ashes or security.
    Last edited by James; 13th January 2022 at 22:38.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cummins confirmed this morning that Khawaja will play as opener in Hobart, replacing Harris.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Cummins confirmed this morning that Khawaja will play as opener in Hobart, replacing Harris.
    Usman Khawaja's irresistible form has seen him hold his place for the Vodafone Ashes finale in Hobart but his promotion up the order has come at the expense of opener Marcus Harris.

Pat Cummins today confirmed Travis Head would reclaim the No.5 position he was forced to vacate for the Sydney Test after contracting COVID-19 and being forced into isolation in Melbourne following Australia's series victory.

Khawaja's twin hundreds in his remarkable return to Test cricket last week after a two-and-a-half-year absence has seen Harris squeezed out of the XI to face England at Blundstone Arena in the series' second-day-night contest.

Praised by Cummins for his Test-high 76 in the low-scoring third Test at the MCG, Harris has nonetheless been axed after making 179 runs at 29.83 for the series and now with no centuries to show from 14 Tests.

While Australia are yet to decide on the make-up of their bowling unit for Hobart, Scott Boland is firming to hold his place in the side after a successful fitness test on Thursday.

Boland suffered a rib injury in Sydney but bowled without pain in the Blundstone Arena nets on match eve under the watchful eyes of assistant coach Andrew McDonald and physiotherapist David Beakley on Thursday afternoon.

"Scotty's ribs are the only factor," Cummins told reporters. "He'll give that a go, if he's not in then Jhye and Michael Neser are both fit. We'll work that out this arvo.

"Jhye coming off a five-for in the pink ball (means) he's probably the next one (in) but we'll have that conversation when we need to.

"It's a pretty tight turnaround between Tests. We think he (Boland) should be right but he'll just have another bowl in the nets."

Jhye Richardson is pushing for a return to the side following his impressive pink-ball effort in Adelaide where he took a final-day five-wicket haul, while Michael Neser (who made his debut in Adelaide) is also in the mix.

Australia will make a final call on Friday morning.

Cummins emphasised that Australia's decision to change their opening combination had more to do with Khawaja's stunning Test return than Harris' form.

The Test skipper insisted the left-hander remained in Australia's selection plans for the upcoming Pakistan tour.

And Cummins acknowledged the decision to open Khawaja with a fellow 35-year-old David Warner posed obvious problems for succession planning.

"I think he knew it was coming," Cummins said of Harris. "The message to 'Harry' is that we think he's going really well, it's tough on him.

"It's not too often that someone comes in and gets two hundreds in the same game. I thought Marcus has been really good, he's been growing with each game. He was a huge part of why we won that MCG Test.

"He's certainly part of the future, we'll keep investing him.

"Uzzie and Davey have earnt their spots to open the batting but the reality is they're both 35 years old.

"While that doesn't mean anything in the short term, there will be a day when we need to some more openers.

"This is more of a case of someone demanding a spot rather than Marcus losing his spot due to form."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/aust...ins/2022-01-13

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2899 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Usman Khawaja can’t stop smiling.

“I haven’t had a feeling like that in cricket in my whole entire life,” Khawaja tells the Herald and The Age as the emotions of his unexpected Test recall and twin centuries in the Sydney Test continue to well up inside him.

Sunday night’s Big Bash knockout final is part of the icing on a very large cake as the Sydney Thunder captain prepares to lead his team against the Adelaide Scorchers in Melbourne.

His pride as the Thunder’s one remaining foundation player, which keeps him connected with his formative years in Sydney’s western suburbs, is matched by the exhilaration of being back in the Australian team.

“It was just unexpected,” Khawaja says with a faraway tone as if he continues to take in the enormity of an SCG homecoming that has left him jostling with Scott Boland as the Ashes’ Cinderella story.

“I guess through everything that happened with COVID, Heady [Travis Head] going down, me getting an opportunity ... I had kind of clocked off a little bit because I’m thinking, ‘I’m not going to get an opportunity here. You don’t really change the winning team and the guys are going great, which is awesome to see’.

“And I was fine with that. I was having a lot of fun just being around the guys and Rach [wife Rachel] and [daughter] Aisha were with me, they were enjoying it, too.

“That Test match was kind of just like a bonus at that time the way things worked out.

“I don’t know if it’s a fairytale, but it’s as close as it gets, having family around there and everything.

“It’s just one of those things I’ll never forget. And I probably haven’t had a feeling like that in cricket in my whole entire life.

“To have things work out like that, on that specific occasion, and how everything led up to that, it’s quite bizarre. I couldn’t have written it to be honest; I couldn’t have written that script myself.”

It is unlikely there has been an elite NSW sportsman who defected to Queensland – where he is now state captain – who has received the kind of prodigal son welcome home Khawaja experienced during the Sydney Test.

“The crowd chanting my name as I’m coming off the field both times [after centuries] was something I’d never thought I’d ever experience,” he says. “It was unbelievable. And it was loud, especially after that first one – there was a pretty big crowd. It was actually a really surreal and cool moment.”

“The crowd chanting my name as I’m coming off the field both times was something I’d never thought I’d ever experience,” says Usman Khawaja.

A naturally funny guy who is often the joker in the change room, Khawaja formed his own special club with Boland, an injury replacement’s injury replacement who had the most remarkable finish to the series.

“I was calling Scotty a cult hero and I was the people’s champ,” Khawaja says with a laugh. “I told him we make a formidable team. I said, ‘We weren’t supposed to be here, Scotty, but here we are.’”

So how does someone of Pakistani heritage feel about being an Aussie icon?

“First and foremost, I’m very Australian,” says Khawaja, 35, who made his Test debut at the SCG 11 years ago.

“I obviously do some things slightly different – I don’t drink, I pray behind closed doors, very private – but, other than that, I’m out and about and playing golf and mucking around with the guys having coffees and playing sports and being out; I’m on my ride-on mower and doing all the things that anyone would ever do.

“If you didn’t see the colour of my skin, you wouldn’t really know that I was not born here or my heritage is not from Australia.

“Even the way I talk. If you heard me on the phone, I don’t think you’d ever realise that I was born in Pakistan or I had coloured skin. You’d just think, ‘He’s just another Aussie bloke’.

“I love Australia and the opportunities we get and how lucky we are here.

“I’m so grateful my parents came here. I just can’t see myself living anywhere else. You don’t know how lucky we are until you actually go outside and experience the world. People always underestimate how lucky we are living in Australia.”

Khawaja came back to earth a little during the day-night Test in Hobart. Promoted to open the batting when Head returned and Marcus Harris was dropped, Khawaja was one of many batsmen from both sides who succumbed to the green Bellerive Oval pitch and vagaries of the pink ball.

However, such was his performance in Sydney he looks certain to retain his place in the team for Australia’s next tour, to Pakistan, the first in 24 years. This excites Khawaja.

“My dad, he loves cricket,” he says. “He always supported cricket. He grew up watching cricket in Pakistan. So, it’s very close to his heart.

“Growing up, all my favourite players were either Australian or Brian Lara, and there were a couple of Pakistanis mixed in there, too. So, obviously, I have a close affiliation.

“It will be a special moment just to go back to my country of birth. I have a lot of support there, just like the rest of the subcontinent.

“I’m pretty sure they’re going to be wanting Australia to get smashed but, at the same time, I’ve always felt like they’ve always wanted me to score runs, too.”

But first he has an assignment with the Thunder.

“I am from western Sydney,” he says. “I grew up most of my life living in western Sydney, further out at the start and then we moved to Parramatta. I think the connection is what excites people.

“Western Sydney is quite a specific area, not a whole city, and we represent the west.

“It just fuses together, me being with the Thunder from the very start.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...22-p59qd3.html

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love Uzzie. What a great and positive role model this fella is. InshAllah I hope that the Aussies tour full strength, I hope he scores runs , but I also hope that they get smashed as well!!

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usman is a good ad who respects his roots. The real thing is touring Pak is not financially beneficial for Aus. Could even be that those who decide to tour could be threatened with being banned from the IPL. If the Aussies do visit Pak it will mostly likely be with a second eleven from which Usman is one off.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakLFC View Post
    Usman is a good ad who respects his roots. The real thing is touring Pak is not financially beneficial for Aus. Could even be that those who decide to tour could be threatened with being banned from the IPL. If the Aussies do visit Pak it will mostly likely be with a second eleven from which Usman is one off.
    Away teams don't make any money from bilateral tours, which is why bilateral international cricket is in such strife around the world. The only incentive for away tours is reciprocal touring arrangements, which is why everyone keeps tripping over their feet to play India. A Pakistan tour to Australia is a massive loss-maker for CA and their broadcasters, so you're correct in a way.
    Last edited by Last Monetarist; 22nd January 2022 at 21:55.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Away teams don't make any money from bilateral tours, which is why bilateral international cricket is in such strife around the world. The only incentive for away tours is reciprocal touring arrangements, which is why everyone keeps tripping over their feet to play India. A Pakistan tour to Australia is a massive loss-maker for CA and their broadcasters, so you're correct in a way.
    In that case the Aussies will most likely not come. They wouldn't care if Pak reciprocate in kind too.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.